Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Oreo-Day_pixabay_2201853_1280-790x400.jpg

Welcome to National Eat an Oreo Day!

Today we eat the best-selling cookie in the United States, the Oreo. It can be eaten plain but is often paired with milk. It can be used to make cakes, milkshakes, other desserts, and can even be deep fried. Made up of two chocolate disks and white cream filling, the original name for the cookie was the "Oreo Biscuit." It looked similar to today's Oreo, although over time there have been small changes to both the chocolate disks and the cream. The cream used today was created by Sam Procello, who was Nabisco's "principal scientist," known as "Mr. Oreo." The current design of the cookie has been in place since 1952. Oreos were created by Nabisco and first sold on March 6, 1912, by grocer S.C. Thuesen in Hoboken, New Jersey. Nabisco applied for a trademark on March 14, 1912, and received it on August 12, 1913.

SU News

Image.ashx

Syracuse University Quarterback Eric Dungey and Teammates Impressed By Oswego Speedway > Oswego Speedway - Home of the Supermodifieds (oswegospeedway.com)

Oswego Speedway’s drivers, fans and teams were greeted with a bit of a surprise at this past Saturday’s ‘Autograph Night’ presented by Burke’s Do It Best Home Center and Bosco’s as Syracuse University starting quarterback Eric Dungey and teammates Kielan Whitner, Rex Culpepper and Ryan Guthrie were all in attendance for the event and wound up joining in on the driver autograph session taking photos and signing items for the fans.

Whitner, Dungey’s roomate, interns for Small Block Supermodified car owner Ron Pratt at United Financial Services.

Pratt invited the quarterback and his three teammates to join him for a night at the ‘Steel Palace’ in which the football players crewed on the No. 88 for drivers Tyler Henry and Brad Haynes throughout the duration of the program.

“My roomate interns for Ron and he invited us out today to see the races and check out the car, so we are having a great time out here,” Dungey said. “This is actually the first race I have ever been to so it’s pretty cool. I’ve never seen anything like this before.”

Eric’s only relatable experience in motorsports is his cousin Ryan's background in motocross. Ryan Dungey is a four time Supercross and three time Motocorss champion, one of the best all-time. Eric was impressed by the Supermodifieds and the friendly faces in the pit area while also noting that he hopes to be back on several occasions this season with a few more of his Syracuse Football teammates.

“This is really fun, I’ve been very excited for the actual racing to get started since I pulled up here earlier today,” Dungey commented prior to heat race action. “My cousin raced motocross and that’s really all I can relate to. It’s different up here. Everyone is really friendly and I definitely plan to come back and bring some more of my teammates to the speedway too.”

Hickey Picked Up by Jaguars - Cuse (cuse.com)

Former Orange offensive tackle Sean Hickey is reuniting with Doug Marrone and Nathaniel Hackett in Jacksonville.

Hickey, who was released by the Miami Dolphins earlier this offseason, signed with the Jaguars Friday following the conclusion of the team's minicamp.

A three-year starter at Syracuse from 2012-14, Hickey spent five seasons overall with the Orange. He started 39 consecutive games, including 25 in a row at left tackle. He was named to the All-ACC Third Team in 2014.

Hickey signed with New Orleans as an undrafted free agent in 2015. During his pro career, Hickey has also spent time with the New England Patriots (2015), New York Jets (2016), Minnesota Vikings (2016) and the Dolphins (2017). He has yet to appear in an NFL game.

Marrone recruited Hickey out of Franklin Regional High School in Pennsylvania when he was Syracuse's head coach. Hackett worked as an offensive assistant on Marrone's staff during Hickey's first three years with the Orange.

jamal-custis-7de148d4e70644a3.jpg

Syracuse Football: Is it finally Jamal Custis time in 2018? (itlh.com, Esden Jr)

Someone is going to benefit from the Orange is the New Fast offense. Could it finally be time for Syracuse football WR Jamal Custis to be THE guy?

While bowl wins may not have happened in the first two years of Dino Babers at the helm, offense has certainly been there.

Regardless of who was registered as the No. 1 wideout, they became the beneficiary of the Syracuse football machine. Records were no match for the ammunition delivered by the Orange is the New Fast offense.

In the initial year we saw Amba Etta-Tawo come on down the aisle and break historic marks at Syracuse: 94 receptions for 1,482 yards and 14 touchdowns. Despite marginal numbers at Maryland, Etta-Tawo quickly picked up the Syracuse system.

While he certainly put up gaudy numbers, he struggled to get off the line of scrimmage against good cornerbacks. That same concern has remained in the NFL, he currently is with the New York Giants.

Finally Steve Ishmael stepped up…

When he was first recruited by SU I was told by sources that this kid was the real deal and to watch out for him. Watching Steve Ishmael in the spring game confirmed what people had told me. Sadly in his first three years in Orange I was perplexed at the end of each season.

Other

IMG_2085.jpg

Father, daughter's scary run-in with huge fish while kayaking on small CNY lake (PS; Figura)

A father and daughter out kayaking on a small Central New York reservoir Sunday were amazed by the sight of a noticeably large, scary looking fish cruising along the water's surface.

"When we first spotted it, it was about 50 yards away," said Jason Dittman of DeWitt, who was out on the Jamesville Reservoir with his 11-year-old daughter, Josie.

When it turned in the water, Dittman could see it was a big tiger muskie.

"At first, we thought it was a beaver. Then possibly an otter. But when I finally got closer, I realized it was a very big fish -- probably the biggest freshwater fish that I have seen."

Dittman, who said he frequently fishes the waterway, said it was swimming with its eyes above the water. He estimated it was about four feet long.

"Based on what I could see of its head and then its body when it turned, I believe it was a very large tiger muskie," he said.