Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national-french-fry_1499945440345_62735524_ver1.0_900_675.png
Welcome to National French Fry Day!

Deals:

1. BurgerFi
BurgerFi locations nationwide are offering a free order of their regular hand-cut fries with any purchase. This offer is good all day long, from open to close, on Friday, July 13 only. Please mention the offer at the counter in order to redeem. Offer valid with any purchase. Valid in-store only at participating locations only.

2. Chickie’s & Pete’s

You can enjoy $1 Crabfries at Chickie’s & Pete’s fourth annual Crabfries for Heroes fundraising event, on Friday, July 13, to support the families of fallen police officers. To date, Chickie’s & Pete’s has raised well over $50,000 through Crabfries for Heroes. Want to learn more or how you can participate? Visit the Chickie’s & Pete’s website.

3. McDonald’s
McDonald’s has a national offer for National French Fry Day. You’ll get a free order of medium fries with any purchase of $1 or more (excluding tax). However, in order to get this fry freebie, you’ll need to download and register for the McDonald’s app, and use it to make your qualifying purchase. Valid at only participating U.S. McDonald’s restaurants. Limit one offer per person per visit. The deal is only valid on Friday, July 13.

SU News

Ricky Widmer and Brandon Swanson begin their ACC preview by looking at Syracuse Football for 2018.

Syracuse Football: Dino Babers & the offense needs the most work in 2018 (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

More analysis on Syracuse football head coach Dino Babers and his future with the program. Some of these stats may surprise you.

This article is second in a series previewing the Ninth Life (my name for this season as this cat has definitely gone through its first eight) by Paul A. Esden Sr.

I will focus on a few key pieces that the Orange needs to improve on. Surprisingly the area that needs the most focus is the Offense.

I hear you out there saying ‘Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat’? this guy is nuts, OITNF is the bee’s knees (give it a google). In some cases, however there are a few areas that needs some attention.

First off is the building of a running game! You would think with the passing numbers that the Orange have put up over the first two seasons that we would have a solid, if not a prolific running game. Alas the truth could not be further from the truth. Time for a Stat Bomb, see below.

Year

Rushing yard/gm

Yards/attempt

Rushing Play %

NCAA ranking

63rd

79th

114th

NCAA ranking

112th

116th

114th

You might see the above and see some improvement or progression from 2016 to 2017, not the case. 2017 our quarterback led the team in rushing and was more healthy comparatively speaking than in 2016. And he spent most games running for his life.

Sterling Hofrichter — Meet the 2018 Syracuse Football team - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

Over the summer, The Juice Online will be featuring players on the 2018 Syracuse football team as we countdown to kickoff. Today, The Juice Online looks at punter/placekicker Sterling Hofrichter.

For the first time since the 2000 season, Syracuse will have the same player handling place kicking and punting duties.

Redshirt junior Sterling Hofrichter has excelled as SU’s starting punter the last two years, being named a candidate for the Ray Guy Award (given to the nation’s top punter) after he helped guide the punt unit to the best net punting average (41.3) in the ACC.

Hofrichter was also the team’s backup place kicker last season, and was moved to the top of the chart during spring practice. If that holds up, he’ll become the first player since Mike Shafer to do so.

Still, even with all of his early success, Hofrichter knows there’s more to do.

“I had a little streak (in 2017) where I wasn’t able to turn the balls over,” Hofrichter said during spring practice. “Kinda hurt my average there. So maybe just get more turnover balls, increase my average and increase the net at the same time.”

If he’s able to do so, he’ll build on an already impressive resume that includes being the only Orange player to be named to Phil Steele’s All-ACC First Team.

Syracuse Football

FSU Football: Will the ACC improve over its 2017 product? (chopchat.com; Hunt)

FSU football could play a huge part in the ACC improving over last years product on the field.

The year was 2016 and FSU football capped off a huge Orange Bowl win against Michigan as seven point underdogs.

The ACC saw Clemson defeat Alabama to win the national championship and the ACC laid unquestionably laid claim to the best conference in the land.

We knew the ACC would take a step back in 2017 with the loss of a number quarterbacks lost to the NFL. Nobody anticipated FSU football falling off like Big Mac toppings due to an injured quarterback and a staff that quit on the team.

However, the conference did see the resurgence of Miami who finally made a ACC Title game though their season was full of lucky breaks and NC State won nine games for the first time in a while.

Wake Forest had a great season by their standards and beat Texas A&M in their bowl game to reach eight wins.

Overall the conference had a losing record against all the other Power Five conferences aside from a (2-2) record against the BIG 12.

Twitter Mailbag: ACC Kickoff, Denny's, statues and more :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; Brownlow)

The off-season isn't quite so off-season-y anymore, and we're now less than a week away from ACC Kickoff and 49 days from the start of college football! Not that I'm counting. I'm also 11 days away from my anniversary trip to Europe. I AM counting that down. Prepare not to @ me during that time. Thank you in advance.

Let's get to your questions, and this week we have quite a star-studded group!
A special place in Hale
✔@DavidHaleESPN
Hi! First time/Long time. So... who are you most looking forward to seeing at ACC Media Days next week?
Lauren Brownlow@lebrownlow
It's that time of week - @ me with your @WRALSportsFan Twitter Mailbag questions, people!
8:32 PM - Jul 11, 2018
The Maroon Men's ACC College Football Podcast (sticher.com; The Maroon; podcast)

On the latest episode of the comprehensive ACC football podcast the boys “draft” units to make up their ideal ACC football teams. Yes, units from teams like Duke, Wake Forest, and Louisville make appearances this episode…Get over it Clemson fans! Also, are we team #jake or #edward??

Clemson Football: Who is the second best team in the ACC Atlantic? (rubbingtherock.com; Spencer)

Clemson football is the leader in the ACC Atlantic Division. But behind the Tigers, which respective team is the second-best in the division?

Clemson football is the clear leader to not only win the ACC Atlantic, but to win the ACC in general.

When the updated Vegas odds were released yesterday, the Tigers were 5/9 odds to win the league. In another book, Clemson was 1/2 favorites to win the conference.

That means you’d have to pay two dollars for every one dollar you win.

Pretty crazy, right?

I think it just has to do with the amount of talent Clemson brings back and what everyone expects the Tigers to be this season.

The question for most Clemson football fans has nothing to do with the conference, but rather if the Tigers can reach the College Football Playoff and win the National Championship.

With those thoughts in mind, who is the second-best team in the ACC Atlantic Division? Here’s our quick, way-too-early breakdown of a few teams that could vie for that second spot or, who knows, maybe challenge Clemson for the top spot.

Other

dana-moffatjpeg-8c2f2edfb6aec75d.jpg

Former F-M rower competing with U.S. women's elite team, has sights set on Olympics (PS; Weidner)

Dana Moffat of Manlius is rowing her way toward a possible appearance in the next Olympic games.

The senior-to-be at the University of California-Berkeley recently was selected to train with the senior (Olympic) level of the U.S. Rowing women's national team and this week is in Lucerne, Switzerland, rowing at the World Cup III - a qualifier for September's World Championships in Bulgaria.

Moffat, 21, is the youngest rower on the U.S. women's senior team. She was invited to try out for the senior team (up from the under-23 team) following Cal's success at this year's national championships in late May.

The Bears edged rival Washington to win their second title in Moffat's three years at Cal. The Bears also won in 2016 and were runners-up last season.

Last edited:
the rushing stat shows one thing though.. thats a pretty good jump in 1 yr without a huge talent jump. if we go from 112 to 63 and take a smaller jump into the 40s thats huge and only takes about 25ys per game to do it. 30+ yds moves us into the top 30.. just moving rushing by 30 yds moves us into the top 10 in offense. if that equates to 1 more TD we go from 75th to top 20 in scoring..

the rushing stat shows one thing though.. thats a pretty good jump in 1 yr without a huge talent jump. if we go from 112 to 63 and take a smaller jump into the 40s thats huge and only takes about 25ys per game to do it. 30+ yds moves us into the top 30.. just moving rushing by 30 yds moves us into the top 10 in offense. if that equates to 1 more TD we go from 75th to top 20 in scoring..

So funny. Obviously you don’t want your QB running as much as ED did last year. But the end result is still, on the whole - good. We needed a run game and ED provided. Hopefully we get more out of the RB this year.