Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Pickle-Day-Header1-1062x360.png

Welcome to National Pickle Day!

National Pickle Day is observed annually on November 14. It may be a Dill, Gherkin, Cornichon, Brined, Kosher Dill, Polish, Hungarian, Lime, Bread and Butter, Swedish and Danish, or Kool-Aid Pickle. Whichever is your choice, eat them all day long.

The term pickle comes from the Dutch word pekel, meaning brine. In the United States, the word pickle typically refers to a pickled cucumber.

– Each year in the United States, 5,200,000 pounds of pickles are consumed.
– Pickles are a great snack, low in calories and a good source of vitamin K, though they can be high in sodium.
– When served on a stick at festivals, fairs or carnivals, pickles are sometimes known as “stick pickles”.

– A rising trend in the United States is deep-fried pickles which have a breading or batter surrounding the pickle spear or slice.

SU News

http://www.mpnnow.com/sports/201811...g-superb-final-season-with-orange(mpnnow.com; Kekis; AP)

After Syracuse defeated Louisville in the home season finale Friday night, Orange coach Dino Babers brought the seniors out of the locker room to mingle one last time with their fans inside the Carrier Dome. Quarterback Eric Dungey lingered longer than most, snapping selfie after selfie with fans.

It was a moment to savor for one of the most dynamic players in school history as No. 12 Syracuse (8-2, 5-2 ACC) continued its return to respectability under the leadership of its third-year coach and his star quarterback.

“We’ve been through a lot,” Dungey said. “It’s just been an incredible experience.”

That skinny kid who was thrust into the season opener his freshman year when senior Terrel Hunt suffered a career-ending injury, then delivered a victory in his first college start the next week, has overcome at least one concussion and a broken foot to flourish at Syracuse. Dungey holds or shares 16 team records — from passing yards per game in a season (297.7) to career 300-yard passing games (10) to total offense per game for a season (330.2) and career (294.3) to most rushing yards in a game by a quarterback (200). He has 10,594 total yards, fifth all-time in the ACC, and needs just 71 yards rushing to reach 2,000 for his career.

“I think it’s the confidence I have in myself,” said Dungey, who starred at Lakeridge High School outside Portland, Oregon, but had few college suitors. “I was under-recruited. Our confidence wasn’t as high as it should have been.

“I just put everything I had into this team, this school. It just feels good to finally get some wins out of it.”

NotreDameFootball1914.jpg

Orange Watch: The storied football history of Syracuse v. Notre Dame - The Juice Online (the juice; Bierman)

Item: It’s the biggest brand in college football, with its own home game NBC TV contract that pays the University of Notre Dame $15M a season through 2025. One of those seven home games this season happens to have been designated the annual “Shamrock Series” game and moved (in Dec. 2017) to Yankee Stadium. That conveniently allows those famous New York City- area Notre Dame “Subway Alumni” to be able to, well, simply hop the No. 4 or D subway line to make their way to The Bronx for Saturday afternoon’s ninth meeting, and second involving head coaches Dino Babers and Brian Kelly, between their beloved Irish and Syracuse (2:30 p.m. ET / NBC-Sirius XM).

The first game played between Syracuse and Notre Dame occurred over 100 years ago, but the teams then proceeded to go 47 years without meeting again. Since 2000, there have five prior matchups, only one of which was played in the Dome. Saturday’s game at Yankee Stadium will be the second between the teams at the home of the MLB Yankees (the second Yankee Stadium, that is), with the Irish even planning to be adorned in Yankee Pinstripe uniforms for the occasion.

Here’s a capsule look at the eight previous Syracuse-Notre Dame games:

1914 – Back when Eastern Football ruled and intersectional battles defined bragging rights within the sport, Notre Dame made its third and final long trip back East of the ’14 campaign, destination Archbold Stadium. In a season that featured a Syracuse win over Michigan in one of those intersectional measuring sticks, the Saltine Warriors also fell to Princeton and Dartmouth. Notre Dame dominated SU 20-0 in the season finale to prove its emergence as a Midwest power. Syracuse finished 5-3-2 in 1914.

5 College Football Playoff Rankings Reactions: Week 3. Syracuse To The New Year's Six? (CFN; Fiutak)

1. The New Year’s Six Games Just Got Interesting

We’re probably two Saturdays away from the CFP getting truly interesting. This week, the only thing about the latest round of rankings that’s sort fun, is …

Syracuse just moved up to 12.

And now, in the hunt for that last at-large spot in the New Year’s Six, right now, the Orange would get into one of the big bowls. Beat Notre Dame this week, and that spot is cemented. Lose – as long as it’s close – and it’ll still get just enough credit to be in the discussion.

With the rest of the New Year’s Six games, the teams hanging around the top four trying to get in might not be able to bump up into the tournament, but that means the other main bowls will be strong.

Syracuse Football Prepares to Fight the Irish | CitrusTV (citrustv.com; video; Ehrlich)

The Orange head to Yankee Stadium on Saturday to take on #3 Notre Dame in a top 12 matchup that has immense College Football Playoff implications. CitrusTV’s Zach Lang and Brittany Ehrlich discuss what to expect in the Bronx.

100 Years Ago: The First Notre Dame-Syracuse Battle Cements ND’s National Status - Forever Irish (ndfootballhistory.com; Lefebvre)

Notre Dame and Syracuse first met on the gridiron to conclude the 1914 season, after the Irish had already made two trips East and lost twice, to Yale and Army. With some questioning whether the Irish really belonged in the battle against top Eastern squads, Coach Jesse Harper’s team suffocated the Orange, 20-0, and cemented its status as a true intersectional power.

The 1914 Notre Dame team traveled to Syracuse and beat The Orange 20-0 to solidify ND's place among the football powers.

The 1914 Notre Dame team traveled to Syracuse and beat The Orange 20-0 to solidify ND’s place among the football powers.

Notre Dame’s trajectory as a team that would play anyone, anywhere was set in 1913. After his hiring from Wabash College as ND’s head coach and athletic director, Harper set about creating a schedule that would take his squad to faraway places that simply didn’t appear on the schedule of other teams from the Midwest.

That first season featured the historic journey to West Point, N.Y., and a 35-13 thumping of Army, behind the passing combination of Gus Dorais to captain Knute Rockne. Just six days later, on Nov. 7, the Irish were again on a major trip, winning at Penn State, 14-7. Then, they concluded the season with a two-game journey that finished in Austin, Texas, on Thanksgiving Day, where they trounced the Texas Longhorns, 30-7, to complete a 7-0 season.

Why does Notre Dame deviate from its classic uniforms? (SI; Litman)

Jack Swarbrick understands the opposing viewpoint here because he used to share it. Why does Notre Dame football, steeped in tradition as it is, ever need to wear something other than gold pants, a blue or white jersey and its iconic golden-domed helmets? The Fighting Irish brand should be too well-known and too powerful for that, even just for one or two games a year.

So why bother?

“I understand people who say you should never change the uniform,” says Swarbrick, who has been Notre Dame’s athletic director for 11 years and is a graduate of the university. “That’s a perfectly valid position to take. It’s a position I had coming here. That was my view as a fan. But past that, the angst about what the alternative uniform looks like is a little silly.”

The uniform in question looks nothing like what you’re used to seeing. On Saturday, Notre Dame will wear matte navy helmets and New York Yankees pinstripes when it plays Syracuse in Yankee Stadium for this year’s Shamrock Series game. The Irish, ranked No. 3 in the most recent College Football Playoff rankings, are undefeated and need to stay that way to be sure they’ve secured a playoff spot. The Orange are 8–2, No. 13 in the latest CFP rankings and eager to totally spoil Notre Dame’s plan and seal a New Year’s Six bowl trip of their own with an upset.

eric-dungey-ian-book-111218-getty-ftr_1n23yirpkztt6101hep8pfnjvc.png

College football picks, Week 12: Syracuse looks like last real hurdle for Notre Dame (sportsingnews.com; Al-Khateeb)

It's Week 12 of the college football season, which more often than not serves as the calm before the storm for College Football Playoff contenders as they head into Rivalry Week and their respective conference championship games.

Not so for No. 3 Notre Dame. The Irish are set to take on No. 12 Syracuse in a neutral-site matchup in Yankee Stadium. It's a game that, on paper at least, looks like their last roadblock to an undefeated regular season.

Apart from that, we also have two games between ranked opponents in No. 18 Iowa State at No. 13 Texas, a game that could very well have Big 12 championship game implications. The last game between ranked teams is No. 19 Cincinnati at No. 11 UCF, which could not only affect the AAC, but also which Group of 5 team gets a bid to a New Year's Day Six bowl.

Sporting News is 64-24 in our picks this year after going 7-1 in Week 11. That said, here are our picks for this week's slate of games (all lines reflect Consensus picks from VegasInsiders.com as of Monday):

Unpopular Facts and Opinions About the Notre Dame-Syracuse Game (slapthesign.com; Scott)

This weekend’s Notre Dame game against Syracuse is driving plenty of emotions. Site Expert J.P. Scott weighs in.

I’m in the minority and I know this, but I love the idea of Notre Dame playing in alternate uniforms in Yankee Stadium.

As I peruse social media, I see Irish fans complaining about the Shamrock Series in general. I see them complaining about the uniforms. I even see them complaining about the location being a bit of a homefield advantage for Syracuse.

Let’s start with the Shamrock Series.

Many Notre Dame fans and media alike want to see it end. Their arguments center around travel (which I sort of understand) and this idea that Notre Dame doesn’t need gimmicks with all of its history and prestige.

I disagree with that last part.

College football is a business. History and tradition will establish your identity, but unless you are perennially competing for a national title, you need to do more to stay relevant. Yes, that includes Notre Dame.

Notre Dame Syracuse Football Shamrock Series 4 lower level tickets (craigslist.org)

I have 4 hard copy Ticketmaster tickets for the Shamrock Series Notre Dame v Syracuse Football game at Yankee Stadium 11/17 @ 2:30pm

Section 126
Row 14
4 seats together

Will sell in pairs for $300 a pair ($150 per ticket) or all 4 for $500... they are going for much more on ticket sites just trying to recoup what I spent.

Tickets were purchased for friends who can't make it. Purchased in person through Craigslist, they are Ticketmaster tickets including the ticket receipt with the original buyers name which matches his fb profile. Called Ticketmaster no way to transfer as I was not the original purchaser but when describing the ticket the Ticketmaster agent said everything matched up. However, I have no way to officially verify as Ticketmaster does not verify 3rd party sales.

I have checked every ticket sales website and they are not posted anywhere else.

Please email if interested. Can meet in Bay Ridge area or lower Manhattan.

Three Keys To A Notre Dame Victory Over Syracuse - Last Word on College Football (lastwordoncollegefootball.com; Mullen)

Three Keys to a Notre Dame Victory

Key #1–Neutralize the Syracuse Special Teams Unit

Syracuse has the #1 ranked special teams unit according to S&P+ rankings. Notre Dame’s special teams unit is ranked #54. Notre Dame will have to ensure Syracuse’s special teams unit is not the difference in an important team.

Although Syracuse does not have any blocked punts or field goals, their kickoff return defense is tremendous. They rank 4th in the nation in kickoff return defense. They only give up 15.31 yards per kickoff return. Comparatively, Notre Dame ranks 49th in the nation with 21.23 yards per kick off return. It’s only a difference of six yards but Notre Dame may fare better if they just elect a touch back every time.

Syracuse boasts a top-tier punter in Sterling Hofrichter. Hofrichter was named to the Ray Guy award watch list in June. The 5’9’’ junior is leading the ACC with 44 yards per punt. That average is good for 30th in the nation.

NOTRE DAME FOOTBALL GAME NOTES VS. SYRACUSE | RadioTroy.com (radiotroy.com)

COUNTDOWN TO KICKOFF

1914 Notre Dame and Syracuse first met on Nov. 26, 1914 in Syracuse. The Irish blanked the Orange 20-0 in the initial meeting.

74.5 Ian Book ranks first among all quarterbacks in the FBS this season with a 74.5 completion percentage over his seven games played under center.

29 Notre Dame’s 29-point over Florida State was the largest margin of victory for the Irish in their series with the Seminoles.

10 Notre Dame opened 10-0 for the third time since 1990 following the 42-13 win over Florida State. The Irish previously enjoyed 10-0 starts in 1993 and 2012.

9TH Notre Dame has opened a season 10-0 for the ninth time in program history. The Irish won national championships in 1924, 1930, 1949, 1973 and 1988 in prior 10-0 starts.

8 Notre Dame is one of four teams nationally with eight or more wins against FBS opponents through 11 weeks of the 2018 season.

7 Notre Dame has averaged 39.3 points per game over its last seven victories, dating back to Sept. 22.

6 In just six games this season, Dexter Williams leads all Notre Dame players in rushing yards (770) and touchdowns (10).

Inside College Football: Syracuse vs Notre Dame preview (msn.com; video)

Inside College Football Analysts discuss comments on who will win on Saturday between the Syracuse Orange or the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, 11/17.

Syracuse Football: Initial game analysis of Notre Dame (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

Paul A. Esden Sr. details the Syracuse football team taking the road to play Notre Dame, the No. 3 ranked team in the country at Yankee Stadium.

The 11th game of the 2018 Syracuse Orange Campaign is against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish at Yankee Stadium in what is called the Shamrock series. This game is a special one.

Since I left Central New York kicking and screaming to move to Mississippi in 2016. I have taken my son to a sporting event annually for some father and son bonding time.

The first one was Notre Dame versus Syracuse at MetLife Stadium, last year was Syracuse versus Pittsburgh in the Dome and this year we take our annual pilgrimage to Yankee Stadium. I look forward to this special time every year. Nothing could be better than spending time with my son and watching some Orange football. Father and son trying to live their best life.

We enter this game with our Orange ranked in the top 15 of the USA Today and AP and the most wins (for a season) that we have had in recent history.

Tech didn’t quit, and now Paul Johnson has Yellow Jackets on right path (ajc.com; Cunningham)

Win two of its final three games, which will include a bowl, and Georgia Tech will finish the 2018 season with a winning record. That’s after they started 1-3. But is a winning season really all the Yellow Jackets should expect?

The better question, as always, is: according to whose expectations? Not Paul Johnson’s expectations, according to Paul Johnson.

“My expectations were certainly not to be 6-4, I can tell you that,” Tech’s coach said Tuesday. “They never are.”

Still, respect to the Jackets for not packing it in after losing their first three games against FBS foes. They also didn’t fade away after that farcical home loss to Duke. The Jackets responded by winning big at Virginia Tech with their backup quarterback, holding off North Carolina for another road win and finally besting Miami.

The Jackets (6-4, 4-3 ACC) are touchdown favorites at home Saturday against Virginia (7-3, 4-2). They aren’t likely to win at Georgia, but an eight-win season is realistic, and those aren’t commonplace at The Flats. Seven wins doesn’t sound exciting but, considering last season’s 5-6 finish and the start to this year, it would mean something.

Working on Clemson football's chain crew is 'a labor of love' (greenvilleliveonline.com; Rabon)

Gaines Massey has been running the chain crew for Clemson University football since it was turned over to him in 2010, but he was a member of the crew for several years before that. He said although he is not a Clemson graduate, he loves football and wouldn’t want to be anywhere else on Saturday.

The crew working with him now has been working together for almost a decade. They say that the “Clemson family” atmosphere carries over into their work. While their job is volunteer-based, Clemson football makes sure they get a meal every game, and they have even received ACC Championship and National Championship rings.

“It’s a labor of love,” says Massey.

They crew has a different perspective when it comes to watching the games, but they can each recall moments that they know they won’t ever forget.

Massey talks about watching former Clemson running back, C.J. Spiller, play his freshman year against Georgia Tech. “He caught a pass, did two quick jukes, and he was in the end zone,” says Massey. It happened right in front of him.

The crew almost unanimously agrees that the 2015 Notre Dame game is also one of those moments that they will always remember.

ACC Football Rx: CFP Rankings - 11/13/18 (accfootballrx.com; HM)

Here's what the New Year's Six Bowls would look like:

Playoffs - top 4 teams

Cotton Bowl: Alabama vs. Michigan
Orange Bowl: Clemson vs. Notre Dame

Contract Bowls (also fixed):

Rose Bowl: Washington St vs. Ohio State
Sugar Bowl: Georgia vs. Oklahoma
G5 Access Bowl (cannot be Peach in back-to-back years)
Fiesta Bowl: UCF vs. LSU

Remaining at-large teams, best matchup:

Peach Bowl: Syracuse vs. West Virginia

CAVEAT: These exact bowl match-ups are unlikely to occur. Why? Because many of these teams still must face each other! Syracuse vs. Notre Dame, Michigan vs. Ohio State, Alabama vs. Georgia just to name three match-ups... Nonetheless, it's probably time to start getting a little excited if you're a fan of one of these teams (looking at you, Syracuse!). If the Orange can beat the Irish this weekend, a New Year's Six Bowl is a virtual lock for Syracuse.

ACC Football Rx: Northern ACC football (accfootballrx.com; HM)

RE: Northern ACC football, a Pitt fan who goes by "ndlutz" on CSNBBS asked this question:

is the rest of the ACC just that terrible or have some of the northern programs actually made progress?

My take: we learn nothing by looking at ACC results - we have to look at non-conference results. Of course, the sample size is really small, but what does it tell us?

BC (3-1), beat UMass, Holy Cross (FCS), Temple, lost at Purdue

Pitt (1-3), beat Albany, lost to Penn State, at UCF, at Notre Dame

Syracuse (3 wins, 1 to play), beat W Mich, Wagner (FCS), UConn, plays ND next week.

That's not very good (7-5 overall, 0-3 so far versus P5 teams). However, the sample size is just so small that one or two bad games makes a huge impact.

I wish Pitt had a more manageable OOC schedule, but they lost 75% of their OOC games, and BC lost their only P5 OOC game. Syracuse can change my entire view by beating the Irish... but if they lose, those teams will drop to 0-4 against P5 teams. Hard to put a positive spin on that.

A Syracuse fan also brought up the issue of "OOC scheduling philosophy". Look, I totally agree with BC and Cuse scheduling the way they did this year - the only thing I dislike it the fact that BC lose to Purdue (SU vs ND remains to be seen). In my opinion, that's how those teams ought to be scheduling - to WIN the OOC games! Higher win percentage is going to do more for ticket sales than one marquee game per year ever could.

Clemson Football: ACC Coastal Scenarios heading into Week 12 (rubbingtherock.com; Spencer)

Clemson football clinched the ACC Atlantic with a win over Boston College. Who could the Tigers potentially face in the conference championship game?

The Clemson football team improved to 10-0 on the season and clinched the ACC Atlantic Division with a win over Boston College Saturday night.

The Tigers have clearly been the best team in the ACC all year and it’s not even close.

Honestly, the conference outside of Clemson has been atrocious. There are a few teams- Syracuse and Boston College- that deserve top-25 rankings, but the majority just haven’t been good.

So, who could the Tigers potentially face in the ACC Championship Game in Charlotte here in a couple of weeks? Let’s take a look at the ACC Coastal Division scenarios and standings.

ACC Coastal Division Standings:
*Team (Conference Record)*

Pittsburgh (5-1)
Virginia (4-2)
Georgia Tech (4-3)
Virginia Tech (3-3)
Duke (3-3)
Miami (2-4)
UNC (1-6)

Basically, if Pittsburgh wins one of its last two conference games- at Wake Forest, at Miami- it wins the coastal.

Bowl Watch Week 12: Virginia’s bowl destination is anyone’s guess (streakingthelawn.com; Trogdon)

The Virginia football team took care of business Saturday, beating Liberty for its seventh win of the year. In doing so, the Hoos clinched their first winning season since 2011 and prompted head coach Bronco Mendenhall to reflect on how much the program has changed since 2016, when Virginia went 2-10.

”There’s a lot that’s happened in a pretty short amount of time,” Mendenhall said in his post-game press conference.

Unfortunately, the win over Liberty did little to clear up Virginia’s bowl outlook. UVA didn’t fall down the ACC bowl pecking order, but it didn’t really rise much either. The truth of the matter is that the conference bowl picture remains ridiculously cloudy at this point. If you asked me where I think Virginia is going bowling, I’d give you one of these:

Below is a deeper look at where Virginia sits with two weeks left in the regular season.

Bowl Projections

This was the wildest week yet for media predictions for UVA’s postseason landing spot. Out of the ACC’s seven Tier 1 or Tier 2 bowl games, Virginia had at least one projection for SIX of them.

Here’s where the Hoos landed:

Tier 1 Bowls

SB Nation now projects Virginia to the Sun Bowl (El Paso, December 31) to face Oregon.

Pitt can clinch ACC Coastal Division with win against Wake Forest (cardiachill.com; Whaley)

In case you haven’t heard yet, Pitt has a chance to go out and win a Division title this weekend.

The Panthers (6-4) will win the ACC Coastal Division by defeating the Demon Deacons (5-5) on Saturday. Should they lose, they’ll have another shot against Miami the following weekend. But you don’t need me to tell you it makes more sense to simply close the deal this week.

For one thing, Pitt is inching up in the rankings. They aren’t yet in the Top 25 but at No. 32/33 in the polls, a win should get them closer to being ranked. More importantly, if the Panthers lose, they’ll have to face what is likely a tougher opponent in Miami on the road. Win now and take the pressure off.

Now, I feel pretty good about Pitt going in. But that’s not to suggest that Wake Forest isn’t dangerous. At all. In fact, they look more dangerous now than they did a few weeks ago.

They just defeated a ranked NC State team and this is also a road contest for the Panthers. Wake has lost starting quarterback Sam Hartman, who was having a really nice season before suffering a season-ending injury. But they replaced him with a guy that, for at least one week, looked just as capable. Sophomore Jamie Newman came in and threw for 297 yards, three touchdowns, and no picks against NC State. The passing attack looks downright dangerous and if worrying is your thing, that’s where you should be most concerned.

These College Football Teams Are Hungry for a Bowl Berth - Stadium (watchstadium./com; Jacobson)

There are two weeks left in college football’s regular season, meaning it’s a great time for bettors to figure out the teams who are motivated to finish the season strong.

Luckily for you, I’ve broken down the remaining schedules and compiled a list of seven bowl-hungry programs that bettors should become acquainted with during the last days of November.

Minnesota

Minnesota improved to 5-5 after beating Purdue 41-10 as 11-point underdogs on Saturday. It was a puzzling result considering that the Golden Gophers lost 55-31 the week before at Illinois.

The win over Purdue knocked the Boilermakers out of Big Ten West contention and helped Northwestern clinch the division. Minnesota now gets to play Northwestern, and the Golden Gophers are 2.5-point home underdogs this week.

The situation sets up well for Minnesota, who’s catching a Northwestern team that might already be thinking ahead to their date in Indianapolis against either Michigan or Ohio State.

Knowing a victory would mean an invite to a bowl game, Minnesota will look to build off the Purdue win with another strong showing against the Wildcats. Since Minnesota plays at Wisconsin in Week 13, the players know they have their best chance to get a sixth win on Saturday against Northwestern.

Indiana

Indiana kept their bowl hopes alive with a 34-32 victory over a Maryland team that was one away from reaching six wins on the season. Although the Hoosiers were outgained in the game 542-374, they benefitted from forcing four turnovers and holding the Terrapins to short field goals after two long drives in the first quarter.

Malik Cunningham practices for Louisville; QB situation undecided (courier-journal.com; Lourim)

Louisville interim football coach Lorenzo Ward would not announce a starting quarterback after practice Tuesday, choosing between Jawon Pass and Malik Cunningham.

Cunningham left Louisville's game at Syracuse on Friday when a defender landed on his head and neck. He did not return. In the 20-minute portion of practice open to media Tuesday, he was a full participant in passing drills.

"Today was a big day for him in practice," Ward said. "I think they'll check him again after practice to see where he is, and we'll find out from the trainers whether he'll be full-go on Saturday."

Ward has said co-offensive coordinator Lonnie Galloway, who will call the plays for the last two games, will decide on a starting quarterback for Saturday's game against NC State.

Rumor Roundup: Names tied to the Louisville football coaching search (courier-journal.com; Sayers)

Here's a breakdown of the candidates with how likely they are as options:

Jeff Brohm, Purdue football coach

The favorite

His profile: Brohm grew up in Louisville, played quarterback at U of L and served as an assistant coach for the Cardinals. After a successful stint at Western Kentucky, he led the Boilermakers to a bowl win last year and a 5-5 start this year.

What they're saying: "(Purdue) had five straight losing seasons before he arrived and hadn’t won a bowl game since 2011. A former quarterback with a gift for creative play-calling, Brohm could be in demand at more schools than Louisville." (Pat Forde, Yahoo Sports.)

Neal Brown, Troy head coach

Next up

His profile: Brown is a Kentucky native and spent two seasons as the offensive coordinator for the University of Kentucky. His Trojans beat Nebraska this season, LSU last year and almost upset Clemson in 2016. His team is 8-2 heading into Saturday’s game against Georgia Southern.

What they're saying: "He’s 33-15 through four years at Troy, including 21 victories from 2016-17. Brown also has a strong track record of developing successful offenses. If the Trojans win out in 2018, Brown will have recorded three consecutive years of double-digit victories." (Steven Lassan, Athlon Sports)

Ryan Day, Ohio State co-offensive coordinator

Next up

His profile: Day has been widely praised for the way he handled the turmoil at Ohio State in his three-game stint as acting head coach earlier this season. And he has NFL experience as a quarterbacks coach.

What they're saying: "Kentucky has strengthened its program by recruiting well in Ohio; Louisville could do the same with Day, who has connections in the state and a bright offensive mind. Would he want this job? (Bill Bender, Sporting News).

Other

ebf_2018christmastreelighting.jpeg

https://www.syracuse.com/expo/life-...a0b611914/christmas-tree-lightings-in-up.html (PS; Axelson)

It's Christmas time in the cities and towns across Upstate New York, and tree lighting events and festivals are about to sweep through the region.

Bring the family out to these magical events, meet Santa Claus, sip free cocoa, sing carols, see fireworks and don't miss any of the festive holiday fun.

Take a look at the list of Upstate NY Christmas tree lightings for 2018, and find an event near you.

we have gone slower much more because we have been ahead and milked the clock alot this year.

wake went faster than us a ton but when they tried to go slower the plays didnt work. we have done well in either mode much of the time.

Although Syracuse does not have any blocked punts or field goals, their kickoff return defense is tremendous.

Didn't we just block a field goal last game? And don't we have a punt block from earlier in the year?

Although Syracuse does not have any blocked punts or field goals, their kickoff return defense is tremendous.

Didn't we just block a field goal last game? And don't we have a punt block from earlier in the year?

Yes to both.

It sounds like Tim is handling this as well as he handled football and schoolwork. Good for him. I wish him health and happiness.