Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
pi-day-pie.jpg
Welcome to Pi Day!

Pi Day celebrates the pi symbol (π) and its importance to mathematics. The symbol is a Greek letter, and it is used in mathematics to represent the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. The first digits of this ratio are 3.14159, and the number continues infinitely without pattern. It has been calculated to over one trillion digits after the decimal point. Most calculations only need the first few digits. Even the spherical volume of the whole universe can be calculated by using just 39 digits after the decimal point. The symbol "π" was first used in 1706 by William Jones. It gained in popularity after being used by Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in 1737. The first large and official celebration of the day took place at the San Francisco Exploratorium in 1988. It was organized by Larry Shaw, a physicist at the Exploratorium. At the inaugural event, people marched around a circular space and ate fruit pies. In 2009, the U.S. House of Representatives passed a resolution supporting Pi Day.

SU News

2019 Draft Prospects: Chris Slayton, DT, Syracuse (patriots.com; video)

2019 Draft Prospects: Chris Slayton, DT, Syracuse

Watch college highlights from draft prospect Chris Slayton, a defensive tackle from Syracuse.

ACC Football: 5 storylines to watch in spring 2019 (saturdayblitz.com; Becker)

The reigning national champions call ACC football home, as Clemson is set to being its quest to repeat with spring practice on the horizon.

Can the Tigers secure their third national title in four seasons? Will they be able to replace all that star power lost on the defensive side of the football? Can Trevor Lawrence duplicate his incredible performance vs. Alabama and achieve something Deshaun Watson couldn’t in winning the Heisman?

The spotlight will be placed squarely on the shoulders of Lawrence, a sophomore, this year. How will he handle it all being “the man” each week?

While Clemson is head-and-shoulders above the rest of the ACC, that doesn’t mean a viable challenger cannot rise up and give them fits.

Florida State is coming off a 5-7 season that saw its 36-year bowl streak come to an end. Willie Taggart has done this before, hitting the bottom before climbing quickly out.

Taggart and the Seminoles enlisted graduate transfer Alex Hornibrook from Wisconsin to resurrect an anemic offense. And with plenty of skill talent around, Hornibrook just might be the guy to do it.

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2019/03/2019-bradley-award-winner.html (RX; HM)

Virginia Tech’s Ty Outlaw is the recipient of the 13th annual Bob Bradley Spirit and Courage Award from the Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association (ACSMA) and the Atlantic Coast Conference.

The Roxboro, North Carolina, native missed two separate seasons but returned this year to be one of the Hokies’ leaders, both on and off the court.

After playing his freshman year at UNC Greensboro and his sophomore year at Lee Junior College, Outlaw transferred to Virginia Tech, but he missed the 2015-16 season with a heart condition.

Returning in 2016-17 as a junior, Outlaw averaged 6.3 points per game in 33 games, including a career high 24 against Miami. He shot 48.6 percent from the field and 48.7 percent from the 3-point line.

Outlaw tore a knee ligament before last season and missed his second full season in 2017-18.

He was granted a second medical hardship waiver and returned this season to average 8.8 points and 5.1 rebounds in 30 games, 15 of which he started.

Outlaw graduated with a degree in criminology last May and is finishing a second degree in sociology this spring.

“Ty Outlaw is the perfect selection for the Bob Bradley Award,” Virginia Tech head coach Buzz Williams said. “His resolve to battle through the adversity he has faced since arriving at Virginia Tech is a testament to the way he was raised. Education and doing the right thing is important to him and his family. He is a mature, thoughtful and resilient person who is constantly looking for ways to improve himself.

“He is a natural born leader who has been a great teammate both on and off the court and is respected for his perseverance by all who know him.”

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2019/03/accn-carriers-so-far-3132019.html (RX; HM)

One more tidbit to squeeze out of the ESPN/ACCN Frequently-asked questions (FAQ)...

ACC NETWORK AVAILABILITY

"ESPN is working hard to ensure that ACCN will be broadly available via pay TV video providers across the country."

Carriage agreements are already in place with the following [national] providers:

DIRECTV
Google Fiber
Hulu Live TV
Layer3 TV
Optimum (aka Altice)
PlayStation Vue
Suddenlink
Verizon Fios

This list alone virtually guarantees that anyone who wants the ACCN can get it if he is willing to switch carriers...

...but you may not have to if you live somewhere served by one of these small, local providers...

Agreements are also in place with the following [local] providers:

Adaptive Media
Amarillo Wireless
Americas Center Corporation
Ashland Home Net
BEK Communications Cooperative
Brookings Municipal Utilities
Cable Systems of Nevada
Camellia Communications

Other

https://www.syracuse.com/restaurant...-a-comfortable-setting-dining-out-review.html (PS; Woodman)

While finding a well-made dish on a restaurant’s menu isn’t difficult, it’s rare to find excellence in every dish.

But that is exactly what we found at Moro’s Table.

When we reviewed Moro’s Kitchen, the sister restaurant in Skaneateles, we were delighted with the Italian-inspired menu and the warm welcome we received. So we looked forward to a similarly pleasant experience on our recent Tuesday evening visit to Ed Moro’s original restaurant in Auburn.

If anything, we enjoyed this older location even more.

Because of its Cruvinet wine preserving and dispensing system, Moro’s offers a surprising 27 wines by the glass, ranging from $6.50 to $15, with most also available by the bottle ($22 to $125).

We sipped our choice—a rich, dark, smooth red blend from Seven Moons ($42)—while waiting for crab and shrimp cakes ($12) and mussels ($10.50).

Other starters include soup ($6.50), baked oysters, calamari or a cheese plate (all $12), sushi ($8 to $12.50), three other preparations of mussels and five salads ($6.50 to $10).

I plan to pick up my $3.14 apple pie from the grocery store during my lunch break. I'll probably grab a $3.14 pizza from the deli, too. I8Pi&itwasgood

I plan to pick up my $3.14 apple pie from the grocery store during my lunch break. I'll probably grab a $3.14 pizza from the deli, too. I8Pi&itwasgood
I am 4 ╥