Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
BewareIdesOfMarch.jpg

Beware the Ides of March!

The Roman calendar, which dates back to 753 BCE, had three fixed points throughout the month: Nones, Ides, and Kalends. Ides took place around the midpoint of each month, occurring on the 13th or 15th. In March it took place on the 15th.

The Ides of March is most remembered as being the anniversary of the day that Julius Caesar was assassinated, in 44 BCE. The day did, however, have some significance before this infamous event. It had long been a day of religious observances. The Ides of each month was sacred to Jupiter, Rome's supreme deity. Flamen Dialis, Jupiter's high priest, would traditionally lead an "Ides sheep" along the streets of Rome before it was sacrificed.

SU News

NXQNSQTIXVFMRK4ACI2YPPCOJQ.jpg

2019 Draft Prospects: Jamal Custis, WR, Syracuse (patriots.com)

2019 Draft Prospects: Jamal Custis, WR, Syracuse

Watch college highlights from draft prospect Jamal Custis, a wide receiver from Syracuse.

Final chapter for Raycom and ACC Television Broadcasts (virginiafirst.com)

Over the past few years WFXR and our sister station the CW virginia have had the honor of airing ACC Football and Basketball games through a partnership with Raycom Sports.

This will be the final year Raycom will be syndicating games throughout the ACC area.

WFXR Sports Director, Jermaine Ferrell, caught up with Raycom Chief Operating Officer, Jimmy Rayburn, and Analyst and Former UVA Player, Cory Alexander, in charlotte as they shared memories of a television package that started in 1982.

ACC Football Rx: 2017-18 Poorest-to-Richest P5 FB programs (RX; HM)

Which are the richest and poorest Power Five college football programs? PennLive ranked then in an interested way. Their analysis is based on Equity in Athletics Data Analysis (EADA), provided by the US Department of Education for the fiscal year July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018 (i.e. the 2017 football season). Values are computed by subtracting posted football expenses from revenues.

The author also restricted his list to the 64 schools from the five major conferences – ACC, Big Ten, SEC, Big XII and Pac-12 – plus football-independent Notre Dame. Here they are in order, from poorest to richest, as defined by gross revenue derived from the 2017-18 football season. I've included comments for ACC-related teams, plus one more which absolutely shocked me at #65...

#65 West Virginia $20.5 million
One of five schools among the 65 to run a football deficit – of just over $418K.
#64 Wake Forest $25.8 million
One of the few private schools of the 65, Wake cleared the
smallest profit in the ACC – $6.4M.
#63 Purdue $25.8 million
#62 Rutgers $25.9 million
#61 Mississippi State $29.8 million
#60 Vanderbilt $30.3 million
#59 Missouri $31.4 million
#58 Boston College $32.4 million
The former Big East school now in the ACC made a
$8.9M profit.
#57 Virginia $32.6 million
Another ACC school with a meager profit of 10M.
#56 California $32.7 million
#55 Kansas $34.2 million
#54 Maryland $34.6 million
#53 Oregon State $35.2 million
#52 Pittsburgh $36.5 million
The Panthers floundered in 2017 until the stunning upset
of unbeaten #2-ranked Miami and made a slim $9.4M
profit.
#51 Duke $37.8 million
Mike Krzyzewski’s basketball program almost grossed
more ($36.4M) than David Cutcliffe’s football operation
and did clear a greater profit ($15.6M to $11.6M).
#50 UCLA $39.9 million
#49 Kentucky $40.0 million
#48 Kansas State $41.3 million
#47 Baylor $41.5 million
#46 Syracuse $41.5 million
Dino Babers’ second season at SU made a $15.5M profit.
#45 Washington State $41.7 million
#44 North Carolina $43.1 million
The Tar Heels trudged to 3-9 but still cleared $22M profit.
#43 Colorado $43.5 million
#42 Louisville $43.6 million
Louisville’s $16.7M football profit was actually less than it cleared on hoops ($21.7M). The basketball gross was almost identical ($43.1M).

ACC Football Rx: Links, news and rumors - 3/15/19 (RX; HM)

Links, news and rumors - 3/15/19

ACC football

Here are some eye-opening stats from Google...

Hokie Mark

@mark_hokie

See Interest by subregion on Google Trends for acc football - United States, Past 12 months - Google Trends

See interest by subregion on Google Trends for acc football - United States, Past 12 months.

Google keeps track of who searches for things like "ACC Football"... it turns out that the top 5 states with the most interest in ACC football are (1) South Carolina, (2) North Carolina, (3) Virginia, (4) Georgia, and (5) Kentucky.

After those - and very much to my surprise - Florida and Pennsylvania are tied for 6th. The reason that surprises me is because the ACC has two schools in Florida, which is also the more populous state, and only one school in Pennsylvania. I guess Pitt really IS a football school!

ACC Football Rx: 2019 Boston College Way Too Early Preview (RX; HM)

When most people think of Boston College, they think of defense, strong rushing attack - basically a Big Ten style throwback team. To some extent that assessment may be accurate, but I'm here to tell you that BC is extremely valuable to ACC football as a conference. Why? Because they are the ACC's "gut check" team. The Eagles may not have the "star" power of other teams* and they may not have the same talent level... but when you play BC you know they are going to punch you in the mouth and see how tough you are. If your team is not up to the challenge, the Eagles will send your blue chip players home with a black eye!

Here are my "way too early" projections for how the Eagles' season will go. When you see "T" that doesn't literally mean "tie", but more like "toss-up" - a game that could go either way depending on the breaks. For BC, that describes a third of the season!

Opponent Proj
Virginia Tech T (lean L)
Richmond W
Kansas W
@Rutgers W
Wake Forest T (lean W)
@Louisville W
NC State L
Clemson L
syracuse L
Florida State T (lean L)
@Notre Dame L
@Pitt T (lean W)

BOTTOM LINE: I could see the 2019 Eagles football team finish anywhere from 4-8 to 8-4. If you put a gun to my head, I guess I'd predict a 6-6 season, with wins over Richmond (FCS), Kansas, Rutgers, Wake Forest, and Pitt.

* although don't sell BC short on talent - this is the team that sent LBs Luke Kuechly and Harold Landry to the NFL, along with QB Matt Ryan, and offensive linemen Anthony Castonzo, Brian Mihalik and Ian Silberman... and sent 7 players to the NFL Scouting Combine this year!

Other

P3OPIZFD5VEMPIO4DJBFD2VIIM.JPG

NYS Fair 2019: Electric violinist Lindsey Stirling to play Chevy Court (PS; Hernandez)

Electric violinist, YouTube force, and dancer Lindsey Stirling will take the stage in Syracuse for the first time since 2015.

Stirling will perform at Chevy Court at 8 p.m. on Friday, August 23 with her debut performance at the 2019 Great New York State Fair.

"Lindsey Stirling’s wonderful music defies simple labels, but her dedication to music and dance during her shows is second to none. This will be one of the highlights of our season and fans of any kind of music should be here for this one-of-a-kind show,” said Fair Director Troy Waffner.

In 2015 Forbes placed Lindsey at #4 on its yearly YouTube artists list with over 10 million subscribers and 2 billion-plus views on YouTube, making her the highest-ranked female. Stirling has received the Billboard Music Award for Top Dance/Electronic Album and was #1 Classical Album on Billboard’s 2015 Year-End charts.

Stirling’s performances often incorporate dance while she plays, especially in her videos. She was also the runner-up on Season 25 of ABC’s hit show “Dancing with the Stars” with her partner Mark Ballas.

This is the fifth Chevy Court concert to be announced. More NYS Fair performers will be announced in the coming months.