Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
ecuador-766946.jpg

Welcome to Chimborazo Day!

Chimborazo Day celebrates the spot on the Earth that is closest to the moon and farthest from the center of the Earth. Chimborazo is an inactive volcano that is in the Cordillera Occidental range of the Andes Mountains in central Ecuador, and has an elevation of 20,565 feet. Although Chimborazo has a lower elevation than Mt. Everest, because of its spot near the Equator it is the farthest from the Earth’s center and closest to the moon. The Earth is not a perfect sphere, but rather it is an oblate spheroid. The Equatorial diameter is larger than the Polar diameter, and Chimborazo lies close to the former. Being that it lies on this Equatorial bulge, it sticks about a mile and a half farther into space than Mt. Everest.

Chimborazo Day is being observed today! It has always been observed annually on June 3rd.

SU News

Meiga Excited to Camp at Syracuse (247sports.com; McAllister)

One of the most intriguing wide receiver prospects in the 2020 class is Montreal (Canada) native Malick Meiga. Meiga jumped onto the recruiting scene in February with his first offer from Buffalo. Since then, several power five schools have extended scholarship opportunities as he makes a name for himself on the trail. In fact, in May alone, he has picked up offers from Tennessee, Penn State, Louisville and South Carolina. Meiga also camped at Alabama on June 1st. He holds additional offers from Baylor, Cincinnati, Syracuse, Virginia Tech and West Virginia, among others.

Stay up to date with the Orange and their recruiting efforts by taking five seconds to sign up for our FREE newsletter now!

It is easy to see why schools are enamored. Meiga looks the part with a 6-foot-4, 190 pound frame. He also ran a 4.42 officially timed 40 yard dash at The Opening regional in Washington (D.C.), where he earned the "fastest man" title. With that size and speed combination, he is becoming a highly coveted recruit. In fact, he was named one of the top performers from that camp by 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Steve Wiltfong.

"Cagep du Vieux (Montreal) receiver Malick Meiga won the fastest man race after running 4.48 earlier in the day," Wiltfong wrote on May 5th. "The 6-foot-4 muscled up receiver was a tough cover in 1-on-1s as well. Syracuse is recruiting him the hardest to date."

2020 NFL Draft sleepers: Alton Robinson and Kendall Coleman (nflmocks.com; Price)

While everyone is discussing Chase Young and A.J. Epenesa as the top edge rushers in the 2020 NFL Draft, Syracuse defensive ends Alton Robinson and Kendall Coleman are being grossly slept on.

After 2019’s bevy of pass rush talent, we are already seeing the potential of the 2020 NFL Draft class with guys like Iowa’s A.J. Epenesa, Ohio State’s Chase Young and Michigan State’s Kenny Willekes.

They, along with a few other hot names, might give the 2019 group a run for their money. The former names are already generating some first-round buzz, and plenty more could be added to that list.

However, there are two names they are being completely forgotten so far, and that’s the Syracuse pass rush duo of Alton Robinson and Kendall Coleman, or as I like to call them “The Terror Twins”.

Now I’m not faulting the media scouting community for barely mentioning these two. It is only the beginning of summer scouting and everyone, including yours truly, has what seems like ten million players to watch.

That being said, I firmly believe that these two young men deserve more attention than they are currently receiving, and as of right now, they warrant your attention. First up, Coleman.

Kendall Coleman #55- 6-foot-3 266 pounds
After almost quitting football after a 2017 labrum injury, Coleman has become quite the intriguing prospect. During his junior season, Coleman notched 32 tackles, 12 tackles for loss and 10 sacks, which tied for second in the ACC for total sacks in 2018. But it’s not just his impressive physical presence or stats that make him stand out, Coleman is a pretty good pass rusher.

Coleman beats offensive lineman with a good but not great first step, and then, by using his pallet of counters and finesse moves to really set a powerful edge. On film, she shows some of the same bends of that of former Auburn pass rusher Carl Lawson.

In addition to his pass rushing talent, he also shows up against the run, making plays at the line of scrimmage or using his body to plug running lanes, similar to a defensive tackle.

As of right now, I think Coleman would a natural fit in any 4-3 scheme, giving a team a great boost to their pass rush.

FSU Football: Why Willie Taggart is absolutely right about 2018 season (chopchat.com; Hunt)

FSU football had a lot of bad moments in 2018. The good thing is they are all fixable because they were self-inflicted wounds.

FSU football head coach Willie Taggart met with us at the Miami booster stop to discuss the progress of the team and outlook. A lot of topics were covered but one of the things that stuck out the most was Willie Taggart admitting the team beat itself last season.

Taggart said, “You’re either getting better or getting worse no one stays the same and our guys are committed to getting better. I think they’re taking those little steps of understanding what it’s gonna take to get better. Ya know, those little things. We go back and look at the things we did bad and it was discipline…staying onside. A lot of things we did last year we beat ourselves. Our players understand that and one thing I appreciate about all of them is not one time did they blame anyone..we blamed ourselves.”

One of the things I’ve been consistent about(and even during the season last year) was the propensity for the Noles to beat themselves.

Whether it was a ridiculous amount of penalties or poor decisions on special teams or ridiculous turnovers.

The Noles experienced them all and it resulted in the worst season in most of our lifetimes. The Noles were likely closer to 3-9 than 6-6 if we’re being honest.

However, there were still moments in at least three of those losses where FSU football had an opportunity to be in or win the game in the second half.

Louisville Football: Momentum continues as Cards land another 2020 commit (bigredlouie.com; Stengel)

Louisville football and Scott Satterfield are starting to find their recruiting stride, landing another commitment for the 2020 class in defensive back Zay Peterson.

Winds of change. – Not referring to the1990 power ballad by the German rock band, Scorpions (that may or may not be on someone’s Spotify playlist; judge me) – but a few words that come to mind when describing what is taking place recently with Louisville football.

Coming off running their first high school Elite camp and hosting official visits throughout the weekend, the Louisville staff is starting to find their footing securing their fifth commitment of the 2020 class in three-star safety Zay Peterson, just days after landing a commitment from three-star DT Dezmond Tell.

Peterson is 6’1” – 190lbs and is currently rated by 247sports as the 45th best safety in the 2020 class. The commitment comes on the heels of Peterson’s official visit to Louisville this weekend.

Peterson had 21 total offers prior to announcing his commitment, with schools such as Syracuse, UCF, N.C. State, and Pittsburgh also in the mix.

Some Minor ACC Network News (DBR; King)

Virginia Tech A.D. Whit Babcock talked a bit about the ACC Network, saying that the Hokies have invested intelligently and are ready to flip the switch. He’s very optimistic about the potential.

Virginia Tech has invested $10 million and will put in about $1.5 million per year.

Meanwhile, Miami has invested in some high end equipment to use on its events and up in Syracuse, the Orange are making more money but looking soberly at the landscape.

Which is probably smart.

Obviously the Big Ten and the SEC got to conference networks first and have better football than the ACC.

The ACC has the advantage of first seeing everyone’s mistakes and second a huge population advantage.

- 3-star Texas ATH Marques Buford planning Syracuse visit (Rivals; Wommack)

THE LATEST
Since Dino Babers arrived at Syracuse the Orange haven't been shy about dipping into Texas in an effort to find top talent. One of the school's longtime targets in the state, Class of 2020 athlete Marques Buford has heard that message loud and clear and now he's ready to get up to New York and see what the Orange have to offer. caught up with Buford to talk about his plans to visit Syracuse as well as update his other summer visit plans.

MARQUES
BUFORD
RANK
5'11" | 185 LBS | ATH
TRINITY CHRISTIAN
CEDAR HILL, TX
CLASS OF 2020
UNDECIDED
IN HIS WORDS

"Recruiting has been going good. I just got an offer from Louisiana and I should be visiting Syracuse soon."

Syracuse: "That was my first offer. I got it back in December of my sophomore year. I've been in contact with them ever since. The coach that originally offered me left but I've carried that relationship over to other guys on the staff."

Message: "They just like how versatile I am and how I can play multiple positions. They like that they can stick in me different spots and let me make plays. I play both ways but I think in college I'll probably play defense, either at corner or safety."

Knowledge of the program: "I know quite a bit. They had a great season last year. Coach Babers is bringing a certain winning mentality to the team. I know a lot of people used to say that Syracuse is just a basketball school but he's seemed to change a lot of that talk and he's turning them into a football school."

Visit plans: "I'm going to go up for an unofficial visit this summer and then go back for an official during the season so I can see a game."

Other visits: "Toledo, Florida Atlantic, Rutgers. I have offers from all of them so I'm trying to get out and see some schools this summer."

Coaching is his calling: Brad Salem's family vocation led to Michigan State destination (detroitnews.com; Charboneau)

As Brad Salem walks into a meeting room at the Duffy Daugherty Football Building, he’s exactly where he’s supposed to be.

It’s late May, but Michigan State’s offensive coordinator is busy, taking advantage of a break from recruiting to pore over some game film, working on breathing some life into a Spartans offense that has had little the last couple of seasons.

He’s a football coach, and there’s really nothing else he was ever going to be.

Yes, he played football growing up, and when he went to college, he majored in secondary education with the idea he’d be a high school teacher.

But really, he was always going to be a coach. From the few months he spent in Paris coaching men who took smoking breaks at halftime to now entering his 10th season on Mark Dantonio’s staff at Michigan State, Brad Salem was born to be on the sidelines.

Of course he was.

His grandfather, Nusier, was a hall of fame high school coach in South Dakota and his father, Joe, coached at nearly every level of college football, landing his dream job as the head coach at Minnesota from 1979-83.

It was during that time in Minneapolis, and before that at Northern Arizona and South Dakota, that Joe Salem was chasing his dream as a college football coach, his four boys along for the ride — Tim and Wade, and twins Brad and Brent.

“You grow up in a football family, so it’s all you know,” Brad Salem said. “With my brothers and I it’s sort of like the language you speak because you’re around the culture of it. Your family’s life is around the schedule of it. Your dad is home in the summer, he’s head coach at Minnesota, gets home about 3 and that’s his day off, and you have the boat loaded up and go out to this lake near our home in Minneapolis and go out with him for a couple hours.
“When our games are over on Saturdays for the duration of our careers it’s call Dad after the game immediately,” Tim Salem said, “and right away he’s watched the Michigan State games, he’s watched the Pitt games and he’s got questions. Like, ‘What the hell were you guys thinking on that third down in the fourth quarter?’ He’s already grilling us. We kind of laugh about that. We’ve both got to answer those 50 questions postgame from dad sitting on his couch in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, watching the game on his TV. He still looks at it from a coaching eye.”

That’s how all the Salems watch football games and it hasn’t stopped with Brad and Tim’s generation. Tim’s son, Landan, is the recruiting coordinator at Syracuse and Brad said his oldest son, Elijah, is going to Hope College in the fall with thoughts of a coaching career.

Re-birth of Slash: NFL teams looking for the next Taysom Hill (espn.com; Williams)

Out on the practice field watching his defense compete against the New Orleans Saints last August, the breath-taking speed of Taysom Hill caught the attention of Los Angeles Chargers defensive coordinator Gus Bradley.

During joint practices and a preseason game against the Saints, Bradley and the Chargers got an up-close look at the versatility of a do-everything backup quarterback.

"You rarely see a guy that size with that type of speed," Bradley said. "Sometimes you see speed and you go, 'Well, he's going to play wide receiver.' But because of his size, he can play multiple positions."

Hill ran for an 11-yard touchdown, threw to Tre'Quan Smith for a 5-yard score and also converted a fake punt for a first down in a 33-7 exhibition win over the Chargers.

Wanting to add a similar athlete to an already-explosive offense, the Chargers selected North Dakota State quarterback Easton Stick in the fifth-round of this year's draft.

Stick is one of a handful of players around the league added to the back end of rosters who could serve in a similar role to Hill's for the Saints.

Taysom Hill Effect: A Tale of the Tape

With the success the New Orleans Saints had with backup quarterback Taysom Hill last season, some NFL teams are looking for players who can a fill similar role. Here's a closer look at the measurables of some of those players.

EASTON STICK, Chargers

College: North Dakota State
HT/WT: 6-1, 224 pounds
40-yard time: 4.62
Vertical jump: 33.5 inches
Notable: Stick totaled 2,523 rushing yards and 41 rushing touchdowns as a dual-threat quarterback for the Bison, averaging 5.9 yards per carry.

NICK FITZGERALD, Buccaneers

College: Mississippi State
HT/WT: 6-5, 226 pounds
40-yard time: 4.64
Vertical jump: 29.5 inches
Notable: Fitzgerald set an SEC record for career rushing yards by a QB (3,607). He totaled 1,121 rushing yards and 13 rushing TDs his final season at Mississippi State.

TRACE McSORLEY, Ravens

College: Penn State
HT/WT: 6-0, 202 pounds
40-yard time: 4.57
Vertical jump: 33 inches
Notable: McSorley ended his career with the Nittany Lions as the career record-holder in wins (31), completions (720), passing yards (9,899) and touchdown passes (77), as well as rushing yards (1,697) and rushing touchdowns (30) by a QB.

ERIC DUNGEY, Giants

College: Syracuse
HT/WT: 6-4, 226
40-yard time: 4.68
Vertical jump: 31.5 inches
Notable: During his college career at Syracuse, Dungey totaled 1,993 yards on the ground and 35 rushing touchdowns on 543 carriers, averaging 3.7 yards per carry.

TAYSOM HILL, Saints

College: BYU
HT/WT: 6-2, 221 pounds
40-yard time: 4.44
Vertical jump: 38.5 inches
Notable: With 196 rushing yards last season, Hill was the Saints' third-leading rushing, picking up a first down on a team-high 41 percent of his carries.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers sought the same type of impact player in undrafted rookie Nick Fitzgerald out of Mississippi State, while the New York Giants signed Syracuse undrafted rookie quarterback Eric Dungey with the same purpose.

The Baltimore Ravens drafted Trace McSorley in the sixth round to back up athletic signal-caller Lamar Jackson.

Behind Enemy Lines: What the New ACC Coaches Bring to the Table (stateoftheu.com; McLean)

Manny Diaz isn’t the only new coach in the ACC. The conference added three new coaches all of whom, the Miami Hurricanes play in the upcoming season. With new coaches comes fan base rejuvenation and playbook reinvention. Here’s a quick look into what the Canes can expect from Geoff Collins’ first run with the Yellow Jackets, Scott Satterfield’s insertion into Cardinals’ territory, and Mack Brown’s return to the Tar Heels.

Geoff Collins, Georgia Tech (Week 7)

History
Collins was a defensive coordinator for the University of Florida and Mississippi State University before heading over to helm Temple. Underneath Jim McElwain in Gainesville, Collins captained a defense that ranked No. 6 in scoring defense in 2016 and No. 11 in 2015. Collins groomed draft products like Keanu Neal and Vernon Hargraves during this stretch. Following the 2015 season, Collins was interviewed to replace former Georgia Tech coach George O’Leary, as the head coach at UCF. The position ultimately went to Scott Frost.

In December 2016, Collins was named as Matt Rhule’s successor at Temple. In Collins’ first season, Temple went 7-6 and won the 2017 Gasparilla Bowl. This was the institution’s first bowl win since 2011 and the 3rd bowl win in the overall school’s history. In Collins’ second season at Temple, the program finished with 8-4 overall and 7-1 in conference play. The Owls went on to the 2018 Independence Bowl. The Owls were blown out by the Duke Blue Devils 56-27. The team was led by interim head coach Ed Foley.

Collins now has the task of washing away the remnants of Paul Johnson’s option offense and bringing Georgia Tech into the future.

Gameplan Glimpse
For the last 11 years, the Yellow Jackets have been synonymous with the triple-option.The power dives, pitches, and misdirection plays were the identity of the scheme. Collins will not be running the option and has made that known. Collins brought Dave Patenaude along with him from Temple to run the offense. The scheme features many facets and wrinkles which Johnson’s didn’t. Slot receivers, tight end usage, and more pro-style concepts will be abundant in Atlanta. The Yellow Jackets haven’t had that emphasis for 11 years. Collins took over a roster with thirteen running backs and zero tight ends. His new scheme and will be put to the test when he takes on Clemson in week one.

Tech AD Whit Babcock talks ACC Network launch, introduces Mike Young to Board of Visitors (roanoke.com; Niziolek)

Virginia Tech athletic director Whit Babcock gave a presentation to school's Board of Visitors on Sunday.

Babcock introduced new men's basketball coach Mike Young, spoke about the upcoming launch of the ACC Network and ran through the department’s finances.

Virginia Tech’s annual financial report for the 2017-18 fiscal year filed to the NCAA in January showed the athletic department generating record revenue of $98,485,395.00 and operating with a surplus of $4.8 million. Babcock is happy the department is operating with a surplus for the first time since 2014-15, but he's focused on the long term financial health of the department.

“It doesn’t carry you forever,” Babcock said of the last year's surplus.

That’s why Babcock is excited about the launch of the ACC Network, which he compared to university launching a “start-up” business. Tech has invested $10 million into the launch — mostly on facility upgrades and equipment — and it will cost $1.5 million a year to run.

“If it goes well we should get a return on our investment pretty quickly,” Babcock said.

The ACC is currently fifth in revenue distribution among Power 5 conferences and Babcock said the network will change that.

Long-term planning

Babcock introduced a slide referencing an upcoming capital campaign late in his presentation. The goal will be to raise $350-400 million for scholarships and endowments along with future capital projects for Cassell Coliseum and Lane Stadium.

Clemson Football: An overview of the 2019 summer events (rubbingtherock.com; Spencer)

for gbo

The summer is full of events, especially pertaining to recruiting. Here’s an overview of some of the summer events for Clemson football in 2019.
Though Clemson football coaches won’t be visiting potential prospects, recruiting still continues throughout the summer.

The summer- other than a couple of weeks that are completely dead- is known as a “quiet period” on the recruiting calendar. A quiet period is known as a time where coaches can’t have face-to-face contact with prospects unless they are visiting the campus. They can’t visit the recruit’s high school or house, but still can contact them by phone, email, etc.

With the quiet period comes football camps, recruiting events and things of that nature for programs around the country.

Here’s an overview of the recruiting events, and other events for Clemson football throughout the summer.

Summer Events:

Dabo Swinney Football Camp
There are two High School camps scheduled for this summer. The first session will be held June 4-6 and the second will be from June 11-13.

Typically, the first session is when you see the vast majority of elite prospects come through the camp. There are several targets expected to be in Clemson for the camp, including some of the top targets remaining in the 2020 cycle.

Other than getting evaluations on prospects for the 2020 class, the Clemson football camp also allows the coaching staff a chance to begin setting their board for the following cycle. You’ll see the coaches begin to really evaluate kids from the 2021 class and start to make offers shortly thereafter based off of their film and camp performances.

Typically, we also see a couple of guys in the current class become higher targets after camp. The coaching staff is able to set in motion their board for the remainder of the current cycle and identified the players that they want to target heading down the stretch.

Dabo Swinney Media Golf Outing
Typically in mid-to-late July, we’ll have the Dabo Swinney Media Golf Outing. After a couple of months of not hearing from the coach, Swinney makes himself available to the media- as well as all the other coaches- for an afternoon an evening of golf and interviews.

It’s the unofficial kickoff to the new season and really sets the tone for things beginning to pick back up with Clemson football news and notes.

ACC Football Media Kickoff

The Gobbler Country Football Playbook: Strategic Choices, Personnel (gobblercountry.com; Fahvaag)

The first part of answering a strategy is picking which sort of offense you are best suited for running. The second part is answering the “suited” issue. What sort of players can you, as a program, expect to get to play for you? That’s the controversial part of this. When we, as fans, demand that our teams win everything every time, at all costs, are we willing to pay those costs?

The Dark Side of Choosing Personnel
The costs are often monetary and sometimes operate in the shade. (It’s no mystery and ignoring the fact that “arrangements” are often made by top programs is an unfortunate part of all of this.) I am going to specifically reference SB Nation pieces on the bagman phenomenon. Watch SB Nation’s What is a Bagman:

What is a bagman?
The shadowy economy of college football couldn't exist without bagmen. But what's a bagman anyway? Watch the full series of Foul Play: https://go90.show/foulplay_e1

Posted by SB Nation on Sunday, June 3, 2018
Watch SB Nation’s ‘Foul Play: Paid in Mississippi’ for a picture of where this sort of stuff can lead. The “docuseries is the culmination of five years of reporting, and you can watch the whole thing free online”. Use the link below. The embed wasn’t cooperating.

If you are feeling like you needs something for the Kindle, or a paperback to kill an afternoon, check out Josh Luch’s Illegal Procedure: A Sports Agent Comes Clean on the Dirty Business of College Football for a serious work exposing some of the practices going on in high powered college football.

Clemson Football: 5 players trending up after spring 2019 (saturdayblitz.com; Muldowney)

for gbo

Can Clemson football get back to the national title game in 2019? It will need these five players to continue that upward trend in order to do so.
To say expectations are at an all-time high for Clemson football following a national title-winning season would be a massive understatement, but Dabo Swinney wouldn’t have it any other way.

The Tigers are returning some of the nation’s best players, including two Heisman candidates in Travis Etienne and Trevor Lawrence along with Justyn Ross and a talented receiving corps. The offense is expected to be dominant in 2019 while the defense should be stingy yet again.

While the household names are on everyone’s mind concerning the Tigers, there were some under-the-radar guys who stepped up this spring.

Which five Tigers are trending up after spring ball?

5 DERION KENDRICK
WR/CB Sophomore
Clemson Tigers
This spot was originally reserved for Shaq Smith, a junior linebacker who had a huge spring and looked to make moves on the depth chart, but surprisingly entered the transfer portal on May 15.

That makes Derion Kendrick the easy choice to replace him on this list after showing his versatility during the spring game and the coaching staff could start him on either side of the ball. The sophomore played some receiver and cornerback and he even returned kicks.

Coming off a solid freshman season where he accounted for 15 catches for 210 yards and five rushes for 36 yards as well as two tackles and a fumble recovery, Kendrick looks like one of the most impressive athletes on the roster.

Will Kendrick crack the starting lineup on either side of the ball? It’s possible, but he definitely opened some eyes this spring.

NEXT:
4. Frank Ladson Jr.

CFB_Belt.png

The CFB Belt - UPDATE (RX; HM)

What if the college football championship was passed from team to team the way boxing's heavyweight championship is passed on - by a belt that can only be taken from the champ in a head-to-head match-up? We actually discussed this back on 9/12/2016 after I discovered the now-defunct website collegefootballbelt.com. When I wrote our 2016 post ["the college football belt"], the belt in the hands of the Arkansas Razorbacks, but they didn't hold it for long...

Texas A&M took the belt from the Hogs on 9/24/16 before losing it to Alabama on 10/22/16. Clemson then took the belt from Alabama on 1/7/2017 (thus uniting it with the "other" national championship) and held it all offseason.

The following season the Tigers rolled along until Syracuse took it from them on 10/13/17. The very next week, Miami took it from Syracuse, but the Hurricanes couldn't hold on to it long enough to face Clemson in the ACC CG, instead losing it to Pitt on 11/24/17. Since Pitt was not bowl-eligible that year, they held it all offseason (so it was not involved in the national championship that year).

In the second week of the 2018 season, Penn State took the belt from Pitt on 9/8/18. The Nittany Lions then lost it to Ohio State on 9/29/18. The Buckeyes lost it to Purdue on 10/20/18, and Michigan State took it from the Boilermakers the following week. Two weeks later Ohio State won it back on 11/10/18, and they still hold it to this day (thus, it was not involved in the 2018-19 national championship either).

The next team to defeat Ohio State will claim the college football belt - but unless that team is either Cincinnati or Nebraska there's a really good chance it will remain in the Big Ten until the bowls, since most Big Ten teams don't play non-conference games after week 4 or so.

Is ACC best college sports conference? (RX; HM)

Is ACC best college sports conference?
ACC ACC ACC

Forget the money for a moment... is the ACC the best overall athletic conference in college sports? It's a fair question! Mark Blaudschun asked "Has the ACC Reached the Summit?" on May 21st, and he concluded
if you consider titles won and championship pedigree, the ACC may have very well climbed to No. 1.
What would make him come to such a conclusion, and does it have merit?

ACC football Rx
Football.
A pair of ACC teams - Florida State and Clemson - have combined to participate in every playoff and/or BCS championship for the last six years, winning three of them. Clemson alone has won two of the last three national championships and set a modern record for most wins in doing so last year.

League teams have posted a winning record against all of the G5 conferences and the Big XII, and are .500 against the SEC over the last six seasons. Only the Big Ten and Pac-12 - which ACC teams rarely play, so the sample size is small - have won more than half of their contests against the ACC.

What about bowl games? Over the last six seasons the ACC is .500 (32-32) in bowl games.

year wins losses
2013 5 6
2014 4 7
2015 4 6
2016 9 2
2017 4 6
2018 6 5
Total 32 32

You'd expect a good football conference to occasionally have a break-out bowl season, and the ACC did that in 2016.

ACC basketball Rx
Basketball.
The ACC has won three of the last six men's national basketball championships (half!) and five of the last 10 (half again!). That's far above the mathematical ratio of one one conference out of the 32 which receive automatic bids, or even one out of the six so-called "major" basketball conferences (ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big XII, Pac-12 and SEC). Even among the six basketball "high-major" conferences, we essentially have 15 ACC teams combining to win half of all championships, while the other 60 teams combine to win the other half.

Here are the last 10 NCAA basketball champions:

Year Team Conf*
2001 Duke ACC
2002 Maryland B1G
2003 Syracuse ACC
2004 UConn AAC
2005 UNC ACC
2006 Florida SEC
2007 Florida SEC
2008 Kansas XII
2009 UNC ACC
2010 Duke ACC
2011 UConn AAC
2012 Kentucky SEC
2013 Louisville ACC
2014 UConn AAC
2015 Duke ACC
2016 Villanova Big East
2017 UNC ACC
2018 Villanova Big East
2019 Virginia ACC
* reflects current conference alignment.

ACC basketball was so dominant last season that it had three of the top 4 seeds (Virginia, Duke and North Carolina) in the NCAA tournament.

baseball
Baseball.
Traditionally, the ACC has had good showings in the regular season only to fall flat in the College World Series. However, Virginia broke the drought of baseball CWS championships in 2015, and so far this year conference teams are an impressive 6-1.

ACC Network
Other Factors.
In addition to all this, the ACC continues to rack up championships in other men's and women's sports. And while some still focus on the fact that the ACC is currently 4th or 5th out of the five power conferences in terms of revenue, it has come a LONG way in that department as well over the last decade (in fact, this year the only conference which showed more revenue growth than the ACC was the Big Ten, which was in the first year of a new TV contract). Of course, the ACC will launch its own conference network in two months which will not only increase exposure dramatically but also open up a new stream of revenue for the conference.

Conclusion.
It's a great time for the ACC. The league has gone from a basketball conference which also plays football to a total sports conference with multiple championships in many sports and soon to have its own television channel... I'd say that's getting to the top of the mountain, wouldn't you?

Other

false

Taste of Syracuse 2019: See the full food menu (PS; Pucci)

The $1 samples might be the main attraction of the Taste of Syracuse, but many vendors also offer larger bites or full plates of food for a few extra bucks.

Here’s the list of all those dishes. Note that the $1 dishes are listed separately. If a vendor is offering more than one $1 item, the additional items are listed here. If a vendor has no items listed, that means either the vendor is only offering a single $1 item or has not yet submitted their menu to the festival’s organizer, Galaxy Events.

The festival takes place Friday, June 7 and Saturday, June 8, from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. in and around Clinton Square in downtown Syracuse.
Taste of Syracuse 2019: See the list of $1 samples
Taste of Syracuse 2019 Menus

Vendor Item 1 Item 2 Item 3
appeThaizingBanana Wrap $1Golden Noodle with Shrimp Wraps $5
Bang CookiesSea Salt Chocolate Chunk $4.50"Kitchen Sink" $5Caramel Sea Salt Chocolate $5.50
Big Awesome BBQPork Belly Burnt End $1Mac & Cheese $1/$4 Pulled Pork Sandwich $5Pulled Pork Mac & Cheese Burrito $9
Birdsong CafeSmoothies (14 flavors) $6Waffles $5 / Refreshers $5Lattes/Espresso $4-$5
Bonefish GrillBang Bang Shrimp $5Corn Crab Chowder $5
Brancato's Catering & Sicilian Breeze Italian IceSausage w/ pepper & onions $6Meatball Subs $6Deep Fried Gnocchi $5
Buck and RuthiesHard or Soft Ice Cream $2Sundaes-Hot Fudge or Strawberry $324 oz. Shakes $6
Byblos CafeGyro-Lamb or Chicken $9Spanakopita or Baklava $3Byblos Bowls - Lamb or Chicken $10
Calios
Cam's PizzeriaCheese or Pepperoni Slice $4Cheese Calzone $7Pepperoni Stromboli $7
Cantina LaredoCantina Taco $4Tamale Tapa $4Pollo Taco $3
CarvelHot Fudge Sundaes $6Milkshakes $6Soda Floats $6
Chick-fil-A
Clinton Street Pub & Modern MaltChicken Tenders & Fries $7Milk Shakes (vanilla, chocolate or Fruity Pebbles) $5
Creole Soul CafeBayou Taco Bag/Bayou Burrito Bag $6Red Beans & Rice in Edible Bowl $10Bananas Foster $8
Cue DogsHofmann Hot dog $31/3 lb Angus Cheeseburger $6 / Large Nachos & Cheese $6Large Cheese Fries $7
Dino’s House of BurgersCBR Mac or Buffalo Mac - $7Cowboy Burger or Mac N Wings Platter - $7Loaded Tots or Loaded Fries - $5
Dinosaur Bar-B-QuePulled Pork Slider $4Chicken Wings 6 for $9/ 12 for $15BBQ Beans or Tomato Cucumber Salad $4 per side
Dominick's RestaurantChicken Riggies $12Philly Steaks $12Antipasto $10
Eva's European SweetsPotato Pierogi (2 pcs) $3Kielbasa (sausage) with Onions $2Polish Potato Salad $1
Firehouse SubsSubs $10
Frogger's on the HillBacon Wrapped Scallops $2 each / 5 for $9
GiGi's BestChicken Wings $1Mac & Cheese $1
Gilligan's Ice CreamIce Cream - Half Pints $5Bottled Water $1
Glazed & ConfusedUnicorn Donut $3Bam Bam Sticks $5
Gwen’s GrillBBQ Fry Ribs/BBQ Chicken/Fry Wings/Fry Fish - $10"Mac Cheese/ Collard Greens/Candy Yams/Potato Salad/Mac Salad/Fries - $5""Smoothies/ Milkshakes/Fresh Juices - $6"
Happy Eating GroundsGator Bites, Venison Sandwich, Buffalo Burger - $10Fresh made Pork Rinds, Curly Potatoes $5Fresh Squeezed Lemonade, Strawberry Drink - $3
Heid’s of LiverpoolFries - $2.55Fried Pickles - $5.75O rings - $4.75
Henry’s Hen HouseSalt Potatoes - $4Yellow Beans N Rice - $5Jerk Chicken - $6
Hope CafeOreo Churritos $1Maracuya (Peruvian Passion Fruit Juice) $1
It's A Utica Thing!/Utica Pizza Co.Utica Greens $8Utica Chicken Riggies $8Utica Flat Crust Paninos $10
JJ'sShaved Steak Sandwich $6Braciole $6Pot Roast Sandwich $7
Juicy FreezeStrawberry Smoothie $7Caramel Cappuccino $7
Kasai RamenChicken Sandwich $6Pork Steam Bun $3Mushroom Steam Bun $3
Kevi's TreatsBanana Pudding Cups $3Strawberry Shortcake Cups $3
Kiki's Authentic Greek FoodGyros $8Tzatziki Fries $6Spanakopita $6.50
KJ ConcessionsLobster Mac & Cheese $2
Lao VillageRed Curry Chicken $8Spicy Basil Chicken $8Pad Thai $8
Las Delicias RestaurantRellenos “Potato Balls” - $2Sweet Plantains “Maduros” - $3Caribbean Stew Chicken and Yellow Rice - $6
Let's Roll Gourmet Egg Rolls
Limp LizardPlatter: Blueberry Pulled Pork slider,mac n cheese, corn bread $7Corn Bread $2Mac & Cheese $3 Water $1
Luna CafeNeko's Dragon Chili $5/Riko's Keto Milk Tea $4Pudge's Meatball Sundae $6Mao's Mighty Egg Salad Sandwich $5
Ma & Pa’s Kettle Korn & Popcorn Company
Ma PowCoconut Water $5Water $1
Macarollin'
Mission RestaurantMexican Street Tacos $3Chirros w/ Chocolate Sauce $3
Moose ShackBacon Cheddar Ranch or Poutine French Fries $3Pierogies 2 for $3Moose Tots $10
NY Almond
Olivo Taco
Oompa LoompyasTraditional Beef, Buffalo Chicken, Spinach Artichoke or Jalapeno Popper Loompya $1 Crab n Bacn Stuff Shrimp Loompya 2 for $31 Crab n Bacon Stuft Shrimp 2 for $3
Original Italian PizzaSlices Special $4Sausage Rolls or Roni Strombolis $7.50Soda $2/Water $1
Pascarella's Catering & Bakery
Peppino's Restaurant & Catering Co.Meatball Sliders 2 for $5Deep Fried Cannoli 2 for $4Chicken Riggies $7
PressRoom PubPress Room Tenders/Fried Onion Petals/Mac & Cheese $1Chicken or Beef Sliders $3Fried Chicken Sandwich $3
Razzle Dazzle Italian Ices
Rise N Shine DinerBreakfast Sausage Pop $5Buffalo Mac N Cone $7Cotton Candy Confetti Pancake Cone
Route 31 Smokehouse BBQPulled Pork Sliders $3Mac 'n Cheese $3Choice of Mac Salad, Coleslaw or Tomato Cucumber Salad $3
Sassy Taco Food TruckPico de gallo and Chips $3Guacamole and Chips $4Korean Steak Taco $5
Skip’s Fish Fry
Skippy's/Husted Ice
Sweet BasilBasil Roll $2Yellow Curry $5Thai Tamarind Sauce $5
Teddie EddiesVegan Hamburger/Cheese Burger - $4/5Shiitake Bacon Cheeseburger $6Combo Meals $8+
Thai Love NY RestaurantFish Ball - $1Chicken Wings - $1Creamy Coconut Jelly - $1
The Bacon BombBacon Bomb $10Pork Nachos $10Pulled Pork Sandwich $8.50
The Baked Potato Express
The MeltdownReuben/Red Reuben/Turkey Club Samples $3.50BLT/Turkey Melt/Grilled Cheese Samples $3Cook's Choice Samples $3
The Soul Food ExtensionBang Bang Lemonade $3.50French Fries $3.50Fried Shimp, Fish or Crab Legs $10
The Spaghetti Warehouse CNYBaked Ziti - $6Lasagna - $7Italian Wedding Soup - $4
The Spud Shack
Tommy C'sDeep Fried Buffalo Cauliflower $7.Lobster Roll $9.Bacon Wrapped Scallops $9.50
Tommy C's Mac & CheeseLobster Mac & Cheese $9.50Lobster Mashed Potatoes $7.50Bacon Ranch Mac & Cheese $9
Tops Friendly MarketsGrilled Chicken Sandwich $4Salt Potatoes $3Cup of Fresh Fruit $2
Twin TreesOreo Truffles - $1Chicken Riggie/Cheese/PP Slices - $1.50Chicken Wing $1
Via Napoli Express12'' Personal Pizzas $10-$12
Waffle Me NowLiege Waffle with Powdered Sugar $5Liege Waffle with Chocolate or Nutella $6
What the Fudge
Wrap it Up!Bacon Cheeseburger Wrap Sample $3.50Cheeseburger/BLT/Buffalo Chicken Sample $3Cook's Choice Sample $3
Zebb’s Deluxe Grill and BarHamburger/Cheese Burger - $5Zebb’s Original Boneless Wings - Cajun Garlic and Blue Cheese/Hot Boneless Wings - $5Combo - Cheeseburger, brownie, chips, beverage - $8
Zeppole King

Some Minor ACC Network News (DBR; King)

Virginia Tech A.D. Whit Babcock talked a bit about the ACC Network, saying that the Hokies have invested intelligently and are ready to flip the switch. He’s very optimistic about the potential.

Virginia Tech has invested $10 million and will put in about $1.5 million per year.

Meanwhile, Miami has invested in some high end equipment to use on its events and up in Syracuse, the Orange are making more money but looking soberly at the landscape.

Which is probably smart.

Obviously the Big Ten and the SEC got to conference networks first and have better football than the ACC.

The ACC has the advantage of first seeing everyone’s mistakes and second a huge population advantage.
This article has LITERALLY no information on what Syracuse is doing, yet can't resist taking a backhanded swipe at Syracuse.

Well done, Duke Basketball Report. Maybe you should visit and take a journalism class. Unless, of course, taking an unsupported swipe at the Yankee constitutes "journalism" in your parts. :rolleyes:

This article has LITERALLY no information on what Syracuse is doing, yet can't resist taking a backhanded swipe at Syracuse.

Well done, Duke Basketball Report. Maybe you should visit and take a journalism class. Unless, of course, taking an unsupported swipe at the Yankee constitutes "journalism" in your parts. :rolleyes:
Yes. King is a snide, snobbish writer who often lacks class. He also is very uninformed about the ACC Network. That said, I think it is interesting to see what other areas in the ACC think about conference matters.

OK, that ought to be ILLEGAL.

There's a sandwich place near my office that does what they call Pulled Pork Hudson Style:
BBQ braised pork butt, bacon, mac & cheese, and tangy vinegar sauce.
On a house-made cibatta roll. w/ fresh cut house-made chips.
It's heavenly. :cool: