Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
a12084cc-6cec-415f-a5fd-5432e9add00f-large16x9_electronicsparkGE.jpg

Welcome to Color TV Day!

On today's date in 1951, at 4:35 p.m. Eastern Time, CBS made what is regarded as the first color television broadcast. It was an hour-long variety show called Premiere, which featured Arthur Godfrey, Ed Sullivan, Garry Moore, Robert Alda, and Faye Emerson. The chairman of the FCC and both the president and board chairman of CBS also appeared on it. The program was transmitted from CBS's New York City studio to the city, as well as to Boston, Washington, D.C., Baltimore, and Philadelphia. Only televisions built for color could pick up the transmission, so most people—those with black-and-white sets—who were tuned to CBS just saw a blank screen. Most of those who were able to view the program saw it at a hotel, in department stores, or in an auditorium. Because of this groundbreaking broadcast, today is known as Color TV Day.

On August 24, 1944, General Electric executives came to a dinner at Syracuse's Hotel Syracuse, and, in the Imperial Ballroom, announced they;d be building a big new facility just north of the City of Syracuse.

The 155 acre site, named Electronics Park, was farm and forest land near the under-construction State Thruway. Grading and clearing began in October, but was stopped two weeks later by an early winter blizzard.
The first building, the powerhouse, went up in 1946 and first television set production started in 1958. In the early 1950s, picture tube production was relocated to the Liverpool complex from Buffalo, which meant TV sets were completely produced at Electronics Park.

GE could not keep up with demand for television sets: assembly lines were turning out 120 an hour, and the company had estimated it would need a work force of about six thousand. Instead they went to a 3-shift, 24x7 operation that saw 20,000 workers in the peak years.

SU News

https://expo.syracuse.com/sports/g66l-2019/06/6c42e279cc684/syracuse-football-recruiting-where-does-2020-class-stand-after-7commit-week.html (PS; Bailey)

Syracuse football's Class of 2020 boomed from three commits to 10 in the span of a week.

For those who were on vacation last week or were simply unable to keep up with the flurry of news, we're here to do some recapping.
Let's take a look at the seven new pledges, take a glimpse at team recruiting rankings, update the quarterback board and rehash the uncommitted visitors from last weekend.

Commit No. 1: DE Leon Lowery
A defensive end from North Brunswick (N.J.) Township High School, Lowery got the snowball rolling when he put in his pledge last Saturday.
Lowery earned an offer with his camp performance that day, as well as progress made in the classroom. Despite moving to edge rusher full-time only two weeks into last season, the 6-foot-4, 217-pound rising senior has displayed high-end explosion and a willingness to learn.
“He’s as good a practice player as I’ve ever seen,” North Brunswick Township head coach Michael Cipot said. “You’d think for who he is and some of the offers he’s got, he’d just go through the motions, but it’s the exact opposite.”
Lowery finished his junior year with 13 sacks and 47 tackles, according to NJ.com. He provided a game-changing play against Trenton in North Brunswick Township’s first playoff win since 2010, blocking his second punt of the year -- this one for a safety in the first round of the NJSIAA Central Jersey Group 5 playoffs.
When SU head coach Dino Babers extended Lowery an offer last weekend, he accepted it on the spot.
“I just needed to be a part of something like this,” Lowery said.

Commit No. 2: ATH Justin Barron

Commit No. 2: ATH Justin Barron
The Orange's second pickup from last weekend, Barron has long been publicly linked to SU.
The Suffield (Conn.) Academy standout has visited in the past with quarterback target Tyler Van Dyke. While Van Dyke is off to Miami, Barron is staying in the Northeast.
“I chose Syracuse because I felt like I was at home,” Barron said. “It’s everything I want in a school, and I’m excited to go out everyday and give it 100 percent to bring a championship to the Carrier Dome!”
Barron is a versatile prospect with a 6-foot-5, 210-pound frame. He said SU views him as a potential contributor at tight end, wide receiver and linebacker.

“The staff wants me working on both sides of the ball,” Barron said. “I’m told every time that they are fighting over me for which side of the ball I’m going to be playing on.”

Syracuse football 2020 recruiting class (PS; Mink)

Syracuse football is piecing together its 2020 recruiting class.
Here is a list of SU recruits who have announced their intention to sign with the Orange this cycle.
Our football writers Stephen Bailey and Nate Mink will update this page as more players join the class leading up to the start of the early signing period in December.

KEVIN LEMIEUX
Position: Defensive end
Stars: 3
Height: 6-foot-4
Weight: 235 pounds
Hometown: Byfield, Mass.
School: The Governors Academy

SEAN TUCKER
Position: Running back
Stars: 3
Height: 5-foot-10
Weight: 190 pounds
Hometown: Towson, Md.
School: Calvert Hall

https://armchairallamericans.com/the-cuse-militia-podcast-episode-146-syracuse-basketball-football-cuse-juice-offseason-news/ (armchairallamericans.com; podcast; Cuse Militia)

The Cuse Militia Podcast: Episode 146- Syracuse Basketball/Football Cuse Juice, Offseason News!

https://247sports.com/college/syracuse/LongFormArticle/Syracuse-Orange-Football-Recruiting-10-Commitments-Recruiting-Reset-133160897/ (247sports.com; McAllister)

It is currently a dead period in college football recruiting until July 24th. That means no in person contact, no official visits, no unofficial visits. The dead period does not mean no communication. Coaches are still allowed to communicate through social media, text messages or even phone calls. That is why, even in dead periods, there is still a flurry of recruiting activity. Syracuse's class could, and probably will, grow during the dead period even without any face to face contact. It happens in nearly every cycle.

It also gives recruits a chance to catch their collective breaths. Recruits are extremely busy during the spring and summer. They have coaches visiting them at their school, they are attending camps and going on unofficial and official visits. With those not allowed for a month, recruits can sort things out themselves, hit the reset button on their recruitments, and really weight all of their current options.

FSU Football: Ranking the 5 toughest games of 2019 season (chopchat.com; Hunt)

Syracuse

A lot of folk like to point to last year’s game and draw some rather radical conclusions. Syracuse has played FSU tough the past two seasons.

Some folk look at the final score of last year’s game and automatically draw the conclusion the Noles will get rolled by the Orange in 2019.

It was a 6-0 ball game at halftime with the Syracuse offense gaining 172 yards on 45 plays for 3.82 yards per play.

The FSU offense had exactly ONE first down and the team had eight penalties for 67 yards in the FIRST half.

The final score was 30-7 so you can imagine what happened in the second half defensively. They were gassed and basically folded up shop because the offense was so pathetic.

https://insidetheloudhouse.com/2019/06/24/syracuse-football-chris-gedney-suffered-stage-2-cte/ (itlh; Adler)

Unbelievably sad news to share, as former Syracuse football tight end Chris Gedney suffered from Stage 2 CTE at the time of his death.
Chris Gedney, a Liverpool, N.Y., native and former Syracuse football player who tragically took his own life in March of 2018 at the age of 47, suffered from Stage 2 CTE at the time of his passing, per a report on Monday by NewsChannel 9 Sports Director Steve Infanti.

This is heart-breaking, to say the least. Gedney suited up for the Orange for five stanzas, which included a redshirt freshman campaign. He helped lead the program to a terrific 35-12-2 record and four bowl triumphs between 1989 and 1992, according to this cuse.com statement.

Syracuse Football: Awful platinum SU jerseys earn national recognition (itlh; Esden Jr)

Some controversial old Syracuse football uniforms have surprisingly received national recognition.

Here are the details and why this is actually disturbing.
Syracuse football just got some awesome new uniforms from the folks over at Nike, thanks to a multi-year agreement with the University.

It seems to be a great combination of respecting tradition and embracing a bright future. Not only did Syracuse fans think it was amazing, even the leading uniform experts over at Uni-Watch gave it rave reviews.

While even if you didn’t love the new uniforms, Syracuse fans at least universally agree it was better than what they had previously with hard to read numbers and just an overall aesthetically unappealing product.

With all the uniform talk, Gabe Henderson of FanSided chose to rank the top-30 college football jerseys in the nation and Syracuse football made the top-10 of this list, but not for the jerseys you may be thinking of:

“The three Syracuse jerseys and the seemingly endless uniform combinations are all very good-looking. However, it’s the grey alternates that take the cake when it comes to the best.
The grey Syracuse uniforms have a unique style to them. The grey jersey features a majority navy, with all lettering and numbering being done in the dark blue shade. Further, the navy blue lines on the shoulder and arm give the jersey a fading look on the side, a pattern unseen throughout the rest of the list. As opposed to using the typical Syracuse orange color, it seems as if Nike went with a neon-tinted orange for these alternate uniforms. The neon orange pops and stands out above the rest of the colors, which are fairly dark.
At first glance, these uniforms do not look like they’d belong to Syracuse. However, I’m sure the Orange are glad to have them as they are some of the coolest uniforms in the country.”

https://bwi./news/wr-bryce-gowdy-planning-visits-high-on-penn-state-football?yptr=yahoo?src=rss (rivals; Bauer)

Wide receiver Bryce Gowdy has checked out the Georgia Tech, West Virginia and Syracuse football programs on official visits each of the past three weekends.

The No. 220 overall player in the Class of 2020 is not done, though, saying today that three more visits are on his to-do list, including a trip to Penn State.
“I'm planning on it. It's actually between three schools, Oregon, Penn State, and... Louisville,” Gowdy said of his remaining two official visits. “But I know my head coach, he's planning to take us to the White Out game (vs. Michigan Oct. 19 at Beaver Stadium) I think during the season. That's going to be an unofficial so I might not have to waste that official. So I think that’s about it.”

In Atlanta this week to compete in Tuesday’s Rivals 5-Star Challenge, Gowdy said that he intends to make a decision on his remaining visits sometime shortly after the end of the dead period.
And as for his actual college football choice, Gowdy indicated that August is shaping up as the month for his decision, and if not then, toward the end of his junior season at Deerfield Beach High School.

When it comes time to make that choice, Gowdy indicated that the Nittany Lions are likely to be among that group from which he decides.

“Penn State, they're high on my list,” said Gowdy. “I talk to Coach Parker and Coach Seider every day. And they're real cool. They're both real genuine people and they really want to coach me.”

Offering some details of his relationship with Penn State running backs coach Ja’Juan Seider, Gowdy noted that he consistently hears from the Nittany Lions’ Florida recruiting liaison. And, maybe more important, Seider’s Florida pedigree has helped lead to an easy relationship, Gowdy added.

https://gbmwolverine.com/2019/06/24/michigan-football-adds-playmaker-in-2020-class/ (gbmwolverine.com; Rydquist)

Don Brown is 63. It will be good when he retires.

After receiving four verbal commits on Sunday, Michigan football picked up another on Monday.
St. John’s (Worcester, MA) three-star ATH Eamonn Dennis announced his commitment to Michigan football on Monday afternoon.

The No. 4 player in the state of Massachusetts per the 247Sports Composite rankings, Dennis took his official visit to Ann Arbor last weekend.

While he plays both ways in high school, Michigan football has been focused on playing the speedster on offense.

A perfect fit for Josh Gattis’ “Speed in Space” offense, Dennis spoke to The Michigan Insider about the team’s plans for him.

COMMITTED….

— Eamonn Dennis (@E_Dennis5) June 24, 2019
“(Gattis) wants me in the slot position, and as a running back in the backfield, too. He wants to move me around, bounce me around, like an all-purpose back type of player.”

Impressing with a 4.52 forty and a 40-inch vertical at The Opening Regional in April, Dennis has rocketed up the recruiting rankings in recent months.

Pledging to the Wolverines over Syracuse and Duke, Don Brown was able to close the deal with another East Coast target. Since joining the staff in 2016, Brown has been instrumental in Michigan football’s success recruiting the New England region.

Dennis’ relationship with freshman cornerback Mike Sainristil also played a role in his decision.

“I train down in Everett (Sainristil’s hometown) sometimes, me and Mikey talk to each other,” he said. “He was telling me about the recruiting process. He was teaching me about it.”

Miracle in Miami 1984 (RX; HM)

Miracle in Miami 1984

Today the presidents of the Big East formally approved to invite and accept the University of Connecticut as a member for the 2020-21 season.

In honor of the old Big East (and because we're just bored), here's a blast from the past...

Miracle in Miami - Doug Flutie's Pass to Gerard Phelan

Miracle in Miami
Doug Flutie's Pass to Gerard Phelan
Boston College Football
Published on Nov 13, 2014

Thirty years later, it still ranks as not only the greatest play in Boston College football history, but as one of the top plays in all of college football history.

"The Play" of course, is the still-talked about 48-yard "Hail Mary" throw from Doug Flutie to Gerard Phelan earning BC a miraculous 47-45 last-second victory over Miami on November 23, 1984. Televised nationally on CBS, the game - which was called by ace broadcaster Brent Musberger - was the highest-rated college football broadcast of the year in 1984. The Eagles soared into the nation's top 10 after the dazzling win and Flutie brought home college football's top individual prize, the Heisman Trophy, in balloting which closed days after the classic contest.

Links, news and rumors - 6/25/19 (RX; HM)

Links, news and rumors - 6/25/19

This edition of the links will have a very New York-ish feel to it...

MUCH improved.
— Syracuse Football (@CuseFootball) June 22, 2019

If the Orange are going to be representing ACC football more often on national television, I'm glad to see them wearing non-hideous uniforms!

46 of the 86 underclassmen who were in the NBA draft-eligible pool were not picked, including former Syracuse Orange players Tyus Battle and Oshae Brissett [LINK]

Other

Are you ready for the 80s? CNY set for warmest stretch in nine months (PS; Coin)

In the first full week of summer, Central New York will finally see some true summer weather.

The National Weather Service forecast calls for high temperatures of at least 80 degrees from today through Friday, and Saturday could be awfully close. The normal high for the last week of June is 80 degrees.

Syracuse hasn’t had more than two days in a row of 80-plus weather since mid-September, when the high was in the 80s six consecutive days. The last

The warm temperatures and rising humidity will bring the chances of thunderstorms, starting tonight and then returning mid-week and possibly again on Saturday. A few isolated areas could get heavy rain tonight from thunderstorms, the weather service said.

While most parts of Central New York will see a few tenths of an inch of rain tonight, narrow lines of thunderstorms could drop an inch in an hour.

“We cannot rule out isolated heavy rain and localized flooding, even though the vast majority of the area will be fine,” the weather service said. “There are some pockets of our area that, if receiving more than three- quarters of an inch of rain in a short period, could experience minor issues.”

The weather service has issued a hazardous weather outlook for all of Central New York.

Last edited:
“We’re still the more talented team”

“Last years loss will be enough for the noles not to overlook the Orange”

Easy their Chief, we clobbered you with our frosh QB at the helm and easily had another couple touchdowns in the tank. You’d think your talent would cut the score gap to 14 or so points, but we raised you a DeVito and Robinson. We’ll see you in Tallahassee and may Dino have mercy on your souls.