Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
dollar-day.jpg

Welcome to National Dollar Day!

National Dollar Day celebrates the United States dollar, on the anniversary of the date in 1786 when the Continental Congress established the monetary system. On that day, they set the value of what various coins would be, and what metallic makeup they would have. Among other coins, they set the value of a gold piece at $10, the value of a silver piece at $1, the value of other silver pieces at one-tenth of $1, and the value of copper pennies at one-hundredth of $1. They had already established the dollar as the money unit of the United States the previous July.

SU News

Bailey: Syracuse football 'could win 10 games' in 2019 - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

Syracuse.com’s Stephen Bailey calls in to preview the 2019 Syracuse football season with host Wes Cheng on The Juice on the Cuse podcast hosted by SNY.tv. TJO editor in chief Brad Bierman then calls in to chat about the basketball team’s upcoming trip to Italy.

Here are the highlights from the show:

Wesley Cheng: There is more expectation for this Syracuse team than any for at least the last 20 years. They won 10 games last year. FanDuel, for whatever reason, put them at 5.5 wins to start the season. Where do you see them ending at for win total?

Stephen Bailey: This is a team if it avoids injuries in the wrong spots could win 10 games. It’s not that hard to draw it up. If they find a way to beat Clemson, nothing is off the table. But if you suffer an injury or two at the wrong positions, maybe you’re looking at seven or eight wins. I think they’ll go 9-3 and I’ll stick with that. This is easily the softest schedule Dino Babers has faced in his four years on campus. They should be 4-0 non-conference. Florida State should be better this year but not the Florida State of a few years ago. Louisville is in a serious rebuild. The ACC Atlantic isn’t what it was a few years ago. The opportunity is there for them to put together another very successful season.

To subscribe, click the link above and then click VIEW IN iTunes, You will then see a button asking you to subscribe to the podcast.

Rundown:

1. Syracuse.com’s Stephen Bailey calls in
2. Tommy DeVito’s progress
3. Offensive line shuffling
4. New starting linebackers
5. Predictions on the 2019 season
6. Editor in Chief Brad Bierman calls in
7. Syracuse basketball in Italy
8. Carrier Dome construction
9. Closing thoughts and wrap up

'Cuse Militia Podcast: Episode 151- Syracuse Football/Basketball, Cuse Juice Off-Season News! (libsync.com; podcast; CuseMilitia)

What's up Cuse Nation? Tonight we talk injuries, visas, the Dungey return (kinda). Then, this episodes Twitter poll, training camp news. Then, we go over the ORANGE running backs!!

https://insidetheloudhouse.com/2019/08/07/syracuse-football-steve-ishmael-likely-season-due-injury/ (itlh; Esden Jr)

Former Syracuse football wide receiver Steve Ishmael is likely out for the season due to injury. Here are all the details and what’s next.

2019 was really looking like the year of Steve Ishmael for the Indianapolis Colts. The former Syracuse football wideout re-signed with the team back in January for another go-around after spending his rookie season with the Colts.

According to several beat reporters and people inside the building, Ishmael was having a phenomenal training camp with Indianapolis.

Steve was one of the last roster cuts of 2018 and ended up on the practice squad for a large portion of the season and he was even brought up to the active roster, although he never made his official NFL debut.

After impressing early in training camp this offseason with the Colts he appeared on track to possibly make the cut this time around.

Unfortunately a few days ago that plan was derailed due to injury. Ishmael was carted off the field several days ago (the first time a Colts player had to be carted off the field this offseason) and Colts head coach Frank Reich had this to say, “Steve is dealing with a knee injury and it’s more than just a little tweak. We’ll have to get the full evaluation on that.”

Louisville football’s top-ranked college fantasy player may surprise you (bigerdlouie.com; Lane)

College fantasy football is back for year two, and the highest-rated Louisville football player for 2019 is rather surprising.
It’s been a long eight months, but by the grace of God, football and subsequently fantasy football is back. In years past for Louisville football and college football fans, that’s meant prepping for NFL Drafts but not anymore.

Last season was the inaugural season of college fantasy football, and my lord was it glorious. I played in my first league along with several other local Louisville sportswriters, and somehow I managed to win (yeah, I humble bragged).

While I didn’t really know everything there is to know about half of the players I had on my team, it forced me to do more research than ever before featuring many nights where my wife went to bed alone as I stayed up until the wee hours watching Arizona vs. Utah.

This season will be no different, except I will be more prepared. And while I am not an evangelist for fantasy football, I do think anyone who has any interest in college football should play.

Over the last few weeks, Yahoo has released its rankings for the 2019 season and it’s been rather interesting, to say the least, to meander through the list looking for players from Louisville.

In 2018, Jawon Pass, Dez Fitzpatrick, Jaylen Smith, and Micky Crum (still scratching my head on that one) were all considered draftable players from Louisville, but unfortunately, as you all know, none of them produced at the levels we expected, relegating them to the waiver wire.

It was Khalil Tate, the dual-threat quarterback from Arizona, who was regarded as the number one player in draft rankings leading up to drafts last season.

In 2019, Wisconsin’s Jonathan Taylor surprisingly leads the way at the top of the rankings, with Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa, Clemson running back Travis Etienne, Arizona State’s Eno Benjamin and Colorado wide receiver Laviska Shenault Jr. closing out the top five.

Who cares about all that, though? The real question is where the Louisville football players stand. The answer to who is ranked, where they are ranked, and what that means for team owners, may surprise you.

Who’s the highest-ranked player for the Cards?
To me, I thought the answer would be easy, but not so fast. Thinking that Scott Satterfield’s new offense, which is highly predicated on establishing a dominant run game, would make Hassan Hall the Cards top fantasy football option was incorrect thinking.

Instead, it’s redshirt junior wide receiver, Dez Fitzpatrick, who ranks as the 172nd best player overall in the 2019 rankings, and as the 43rd receiver.

I am biased, I’ll go ahead and say that (which you probably already know) but to me, that’s a tad bit too low. While the offense of Scott Satterfield is all about establishing the run game and doesn’t feature wide receivers like we’re used to...,

ACC Football Preview 2019: A Saturday Blitz Podcast (saturdayblitz.com; podcast; Mitchell)

ACC football has been Clemson and the rest in recent years. Can anyone challenge the Tigers in 2019? The Saturday Blitz Podcast crew weighs in.
The rest of the ACC Football teams have been living vicariously through Clemson in recent years, with Dabo Swinney’s Tigers carrying the water for what has been a mediocre conference below them.

It was a foregone conclusion all of last season that Clemson would emerge as the ACC champion. After running roughshod over their conference schedule, Clemson did more of the same in the College Football Playoff, dominating both Notre Dame and Alabama to capture its second national championship in the last three years.

Entering the 2019 season, it once again looks like a foregone conclusion that it will be the Tigers atop the ACC standings when the dust settles. With wunderkind quarterback Trevor Lawrence back alongside a bevy of talented offensive weapons, Clemson shouldn’t suffer much of a letdown this season even despite losing some key cogs on the defensive side of the ball.

The ACC remains Clemson and everyone else, but is there a team that has a shot at seriously threatening its autonomy in the league? That’s the big question John and Zach tackle in this edition of the Saturday Blitz Podcast.

Clemson’s biggest threat might reside in its own division, with Dino Babers looking to elevate Syracuse to the next level after a 10-win campaign in 2018. The Orange have been the biggest hurdle for the Tigers to jump the last couple of years, with ‘Cuse pulling a major upset in the Carrier Dome in 2017, and then pushing Clemson to the absolute brink last season in Death Valley.

Willie Taggart will hope to get Florida State back to contention in the conference in 2019, though reaching a bowl game is likely a more realistic goal than contention in the ACC.

On the other side, the Coastal will look to regain some respectability after producing one of the weakest division champions in college football last season in Pittsburgh, which finished the season with a .500 record.

Can Manny Diaz bring The U back once again in 2019? Will Justin Fuente and Virginia Tech bounce back after a down season in 2018? Can Bronco Mendenhall and Virginia take the next step and snatch the divisional crown?

While Clemson is the clear favorite, there’s still plenty of interesting storylines and subplots littering the ACC in 2019. Listen in to see who John and Zach think has the best chance of dethroning Clemson, along with predictions for both divisions, and offensive and defensive player of the year.

2019 Virginia Football Opponent Preview: Pitt Panthers (streakingthelawn.com; Wiley)

If ever you desired proof that college football is a chaos machine, devouring inputs of strategy and careful planning to spit out a random-number-generated result, look no further than these next seven words that are a real thing that happened: Pitt Panthers, 2018 ACC Coastal Division champions.

Last Year: 7-7 (6-2 ACC)

At the end of September, Pitt sat at an uninspiring 2-3. A season-opening win against FCS Albany was nice enough but the memory was soon subsumed by a 51-6 dismantling at the hands of Penn State. Likewise for the start of ACC play: a well-contested 24-19 victory over Georgia Tech to kick things off, but a loss to lowly UNC-Chapel Hill close behind. When defending national champs UCF sent Pitt home from Orlando with a 45-14 loss, the season’s future glory would have seemed like a pipe dream.

But October and November were exceedingly kind to the Fightin’ Narduzziacs: an overtime win against Syracuse, a close loss at #5 Notre Dame, then four straight victories in conference. A 35-13 decision over Wake Forest clinched the division, notwithstanding the next week’s loss at Miami. Pitt put up a respectable 10 points against Clemson in the ACC Championship Game before dropping the Sun Bowl to Stanford, 14-13.

Last Time: Pitt 23, UVA 13

One of those November wins was a rain-soaked victory at Scott Stadium that put Pitt in the Coastal Division driver’s seat. Injuries along the defensive line exposed UVA’s depth issues and the Panthers exploited the resulting miscommunications to frequently find creases for long running lanes. Darrin Hall ran for touchdowns of 41 and 75 yards—including a back-breaker after the Hoos got within one in the fourth quarter—en route to a 229-yard day; Kenny Pickett needed to throw for all of 61 yards for Pitt to leave Charlottesville with a win. The UVA running game never got started: Jordan Ellis accrued 46 yards on just 10 carries, but Bryce Perkins’ minus-7 yards on 15 carries represented by far his worst rushing performance of the season.

Comings and Goings

Thankfully, Darrin Hall is gone. So is Qadree Ollison. Hall and Ollison combined for more than 2,300 yards and 21 touchdowns in 2018. Four of the offensive linemen who started against UVA are also gone, as are half the defensive line, two-thirds of the linebackers, and half the defensive backfield. That’s a LOT.

FSU football: Opposing ACC coaches think ‘Noles defense could be strong (chopchat.com; Hunt)

FSU football defense had a letdown year by their lofty standards in 2018. Opposing coaches think they have the potential to be much better in 2019.

I’ve documented my thoughts on the FSU football defense from 2018. They were not very good but I gave Harlon Barnett a pass because of how the season went.

It’s hard to accurately assess how good or how bad they were because the offense put them in a ton of bad spots with short fields with turnovers.

How can you measure being demoralized against Syracuse or holding Clemson scoreless for the first quarter and then getting taken to the woodshed?

The S&P advanced metrics had FSU listed at No. 37 after 12 games in 2018. I expect the FSU defense to be better in 2019 for a number of reasons I already discussed. However, it appears some opposing coaches believe that to be the case as well.

A few ACC coaches spoke anonymously with Athlon Sports about FSU last season and I’m going to focus on the defensive quotes:

“Defensively, they’re strong, especially in the back. They’re going to be a lot deeper at linebacker especially.”
This is accurate as the Noles have addressed the linebacker unit the last two recruiting cycles. FSU always has talented players in the secondary.

“They lose Brian Burns in the pass rush, but they have some scary dudes inside on that line.”

There’s all the talk about FSU playing more 3-4 defense and the combo of Marvin Wilson, Robert Cooper and Cory Durden is one of the best you’ll see in the ACC. Joshua Kaindoh was a top 10 player nationally and there’s a ton of other former blue chip recruits playing defensive end too.

“It’s still a really young roster with a lot of gaps from some bad recruiting years before Fisher left.”

Louisville football still searching for next Michael Bush (wdrb.com;video)

Hassan Hall will wear No. 19 for the University of Louisville football team this season. You don’t have to be Brian Brohm to remember the name of the guy who threatened to get that number retired.

Is it baked beans, green beans or an animal? ACC football players from the Atlantic Division try to figure out ‘What’s In The Box?’

Ranking ACC Football (accnation.com; Quist)

A critical life skill is listening. I’ve spent the past few weeks interviewing the play-by-play voices (in one case, color analyst) of ACC teams. Each individual has a unique insider’s perspective of their team. They’ve been doing it long enough that they know how to listen, absorb and analyze what coaches are saying. The vast majority are open about weaknesses on a roster plus they’ll offer up what may or may not be the solution. Sure, they’re more than glad to offer up the strengths as well and even that can be telling. If, you only listen. So my question is, why is so hard ranking ACC football?

What I’ve come away with is a much better picture of what ACC football has to offer this year. Let me be up front with you. You know those way-too-early predictions and the most recent USA Today Coaches’ Poll? The ones that so far, have only featured two teams from the ACC? I’m not buying it.

Not to bust on Clemson but the bright shiny object in the room may be distracting us from everyone else. We’ve been listening to pundits and competitors downplay ACC football for too long. Much too long. The line, ‘look at all the tough teams that Alabama plays in the SEC and the weak teams in the ACC that Clemson plays’, is hogwash.

Ranking ACC Football

I said it months ago on an episode of ACC Nation Podcast that I felt the conference was going to have an exciting year. I’m sticking by that statement and adding that you’ll see more than 4 ACC teams in the AP Top 25 by mid-year. Don’t worry, I’ve eaten more than my fair share of Crow over the years. However, I don’t plan on having to prepare any this year.

There’s a lot of things about college football that make it difficult to predict. The roster literally changes (for most teams) every year. What happens if a team is lucky enough to be full of sophomores and juniors? If they are all starters, then we have an exception. Now add in the ability of players to enter the Transfer Portal and hop, skip and jump to other schools. Coaching staffs? They aren’t immune either. Nothing’s the same. It’s a whole different team. Different players, different skill levels and sometimes different schemes. Guess what? If you’re living off, what was instead of what is, you’re in for a rude awakening.

‘Voices Of’ Football Previews On ACC Nation Podcast

What does this all add up to? Simple, really. Anyone voting or assembling polls or rankings before the season begins without taking a deep dive are simply blowing smoke. Most of the time the folks who compile the list are looking at last year and how many key players departed. It’s simply not enough.

ACCN Studio Reveal Today at 11 AM (RX; HM)

ACCN Studio Reveal Today at 11 AM

ACC Network Event: ACCN Studio Reveal, Thursday, Aug. 8
On August 22, ACC Network, the new 24/7 home of all things ACC, will launch nationwide live from its home in Bristol, Conn. Join us for a first look at the ACCN studio, sets and personalities.

ACCN Studio Reveal
What: Exclusive online reveal of ACC Network’s (ACCN) brand new studio in Bristol, Conn., via ACCNX – ACCN’s digital extension. Hosts and analysts from ACCN’s news and information show, All ACC, and football studio show, The Huddle, will provide the first look at the TV home of college sport’s newest media platform.
When: 11:00 am ET
How to Watch: ACCNX on the ESPN App

COMING SOON @accnetwork Studio Reveal

August 8
11 a.m. ET
ACCNX on the ESPN App
— ESPN PR (@ESPNPR) August 7, 2019

The Final Frontier - 8/7/19 (RX; HM)

The Final Frontier - 8/7/19

Frontier/Fios says they won't carry ACCN like Verizon/Fios.

A reader left a comment in another thread which I felt deserves its own post:

I got a message fron Frontier/Fios that they will NOT carry the ACCN. This was after numerous calls and getting the run around, I posted a comment on FaceBook and was told to send a direct message. Their response was an emphatic no, with some link to the cost of adding channels. They refuse to post any answer publicly! Cowards! I have sent messages to the local Seminole supports groups in and near Tampa area trying to gather support!

I did a little research about the difference between Frontier/Fios and Verizon/Fios and found some not-very-good news for Fios subscribers in Florida, Texas and California:

From the Dallas News: A year later, Frontier's Verizon Fios deal is a textbook case of how not to do an acquisition
In April 2016, Frontier bought [Fios by] Verizon... in Texas, California and Florida, and the switch-over was a mess.
Problems have been many, to say the least.
“It’s not a technology issue — it’s about execution,” said James Willcox, a Consumer Reports senior electronics editor who wrote about the results and cord-cutting.

BOTTOM LINE: My advice to you subscribers is to drop Frontier (or at least drop Frontier/Fios TV if you don't have any alternative internet providers) and get one of the streaming TV options (Hulu TV Live, PS Vue, or YouTube TV) or else get DirecTV (satellite, but can often be bundled with ATT internet).

Links, news and rumors - 8/8/19 (RX; HM)

Links, news and rumors - 8/8/19

From BR: Ranking the Most Difficult Schedules for 2019 College Football Season
Here are their top 10, but I've added a column to help you connect the dots...
Top 10 Hardest SchedulesACC/ND connection
1. S. Carolina Gamecocksplays UNC, Clemson
2. Auburn Tigers
3. Texas A&M Aggiesplays Clemson
4. LSU Tigers
5. Florida Gatorsplays Miami, Florida State
6. Stanford Cardinalplays Notre Dame
7. Georgia Bulldogsplays Notre Dame, Ga Tech
8. USC Trojansplays Notre Dame
9. Michigan Wolverinesplays Notre Dame
10. Colorado Buffaloes

BTW, here's how Phil Steele ranks the 10 toughest schedules for 2019
1. South Carolina (2018 rank: 51st) – N Carolina, Clemson.
2. Auburn (2018 rank: 25th) –
3. USC (2018 rank: 31st) – Notre Dame.
4. Texas A&M (2018 rank: 15th) – Clemson
5. Colorado (2018 rank: 59th) –
6. LSU (2018 rank: 10th) –
7. Tennessee (2018 rank: 54th) –
8. UCLA (2018 rank: 1st) –
9. Michigan (2018 rank: 3rd) – Notre Dame.
10. Florida (2018 rank: 64th) – Miami, Florida State.

Prognosis for 2019's New ACC Coaches (RX; HM)

Prognosis for 2019's New ACC Coaches

From ESPN: what to expect from every first-year coach
Here's how they see the first season going for the 4 new ACC head coaches...

Make a run at a division or conference title
Miami (Manny Diaz)
2018 record: 7-6
Projected 2019 wins: 8.3 (FPI) to 8.8 (S&P+)
Odds of winning conference: 3%
Speaking of schools with "expectations vs. reality" issues. ...

Diaz is the latest coach asked to restore The U to its former glory. Out of the gate, expectations seem high but manageable. No one expects the Hurricanes to win the ACC -- not with Clemson still Clemsoning all over the place. (FPI gives the Tigers an 88% chance of winning the league crown; Miami's 3% odds are second best.) They are, however, expected to win the Coastal Division and maybe not get quite as embarrassed by Clemson as they did in 2017. Beating in-state rivals Florida and/or Florida State wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

If Diaz and offensive coordinator Dan Enos can produce solid quarterback play, they'll have a decent shot at meeting expectations. Is Ohio State transfer Tate Martell the answer? Can the offense occasionally create good field position for a defense that should be strong again?

Make a run at 6-6 (bowl-eligibility)
North Carolina (Mack Brown)
2018 record: 2-9
Projected 2019 wins: 4.5 (S&P+) to 5.4 (FPI)
Odds of bowl eligibility: 25%
Brown inherits a program that is caught somewhere in between a rebuild and a potential rebound. On one hand, the Tar Heels have won five games in two years and will be starting either a true or redshirt freshman at quarterback. That's a Year Zero situation if ever one existed.

On the other hand, you don't hire a 67-year-old head coach with the idea of taking on a long-term rebuild. Plus, UNC is experienced virtually everywhere besides quarterback and could boast both a tremendous run game -- quite the QB protector -- and a stellar pass defense.

An early upset win over either South Carolina (which couldn't defend the run last year) or Miami (which couldn't pass) could trigger a 3-1 start and make a bowl run a possibility into November. Even if it falls short, that would likely create enough buzz for Brown to keep recruiting well.

ACC Football: 2020 NFL Draft prospects lead preseason All-ACC (profootball.com; Davila)

With the college football season a mere two weeks away, becoming familiar with the talent that fills the ACC is paramount. As mentioned previously here at Pro Football Network, numerous ACC prospects boast excellent skill sets, suggesting a smooth transition to the NFL level. But until the 2020 NFL Draft finally arrives, fans will need to remain patient and watch an exciting college football season proceed.

With that being said, PFN’s 2020 NFL Draft writers are taking the time to analyze their respective conferences and select their All-Conference teams.

Without further ado, here is the PFN 2019 All-ACC First Team:

Offense

Analysis
Quarterback

Trevor Lawrence is head and shoulders above the nation in quarterbacking. The former #1 ranked high school prospect in 2017 took over the starting job for the Clemson Tigers just four weeks into the season last year and never looked back. The now true sophomore logged 30 touchdown passes to only four interceptions in his freshman year. The ACC Rookie of the Year is poised for a monster campaign this coming season. Lawrence isn’t eligible for the 2020 NFL Draft, but he’s already considered by many to be the top pick for the 2021 NFL Draft.
Defense

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/article233633122.html (thestate.com; video; Alexander)

NC State quarterback Bailey Hockman talks about his journey to the Wolfpack, his bond with his father, and being patient. Hockman spoke after practice Friday, August 2, 2019.

ACC Panic Room: What are reasonable expectations for NC State's season? (wralsportsfan.com; video; Brownlow & Ovies)

Lauren Brownlow and Joe Ovies discuss whether NC State fans will be drinking beer to forget the losses or celebrate the wins. Or both?

Other

Jazz in the City: Jackiem Joyner

Scottish Games, Fulton Jazz Festival: 17 things to do in CNY (PS; Hernandez)

This midsummer weekend is full of craft beer festivals and free family-friendly events. With the weather forecast calling for mid-70s and sunny, it could be the perfect weekend to get outside.

"South Pacific"

Rodgers and Hammerstein’s famous musical bursts to life on the Merry Go Round Playhouse stage. Set against the backdrop of an island paradise during WWII, this musical comedy features all of the songs you know and love, including “Gonna Wash That Man,” “There is Nothin’ Like a Dame,” “Younger Than Springtime,” “Bali Ha’i,” “Honeybun,” and the iconic “Some Enchanted Evening.”
Where: Merry Go Round Finger Lakes Music Theatre, 6877 East Lake Road, Auburn, N.Y. 13021
When: Aug. 7-28, see their website for showtimes.
How much: $60-$62, some shows offer tickets for age 22 and under for $31

Jazz in the City: Jackiem Joyner

Syracuse’s favorite smooth jazz son Jackiem Joyner, Fowler High School grad and Billboard #1 saxophonist, will hold court for the Jazz in the City series. Food trucks on site will include Limp Lizard, Baked Potato Express, and Skippy's Ice Cream.
Where: Leavenworth Park, 120 Wilkinson St, Syracuse, N.Y. 13204
When: Aug. 8 from 7-9 p.m.
How much: Free

Last edited: