Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
b38j3mqJWdscLZuE8TS4uQ-320-80.jpg

Welcome to Great Lakes Awareness Day!

Great Lakes Awareness Day celebrates the Great Lakes and highlights the issues they face, and how the lakes can be preserved. Events for the day have involved organizations such as schools, aquariums, and museums. There is not much information available online about how the day is celebrated or how it came to be.

There are five Great Lakes: Superior, Huron, Michigan, Ontario, and Erie. Together they make up the largest body of freshwater on Earth and stretch 750 miles from east to west. They are located on the border of the United States and Canada and touch the states of Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, New York, and Pennsylvania. It is believed that at one time the Great Lakes were covered by a glacier—it receded towards Canada and left depressions filled with water.

Lake Huron is named after the Wyandot Indians, also known as the Huron Indians, and its surface area is the second largest of the lakes. Manitoulin Island is located in it—the largest island in a freshwater lake in the world. Lake Huron connects to Lake Michigan by the Straits of Mackinac. Lake Michigan takes its name from the Ojibwa word for "large lake." It is the third largest Great Lake in surface area, and the second largest in volume. It is the only Great Lake completely in the United States.

SU News

Syracuse Football: Who is the next big pass-rusher? (itlh; Queripel)

Syracuse football lost two major pass-rushers in Alton Robinson and Kendall Coleman to the NFL. Who will get to the quarterback in 2020?

In college every year, you expect to welcome a new crop of players and say goodbye to others. However, it’s not always easy to part ways with great players like Alton Robinson and Kendall Coleman. Robinson was recently selected in the fifth round of the NFL Draft, while Coleman signed an undrafted free agent contract. So now Syracuse football is tasked with filling the production left by future NFL players.

Last season, Syracuse recorded 30 sacks and 20.5 of those takedowns were by players who are no longer on the roster. So nearly two-thirds of their pass-rushing production is gone. Head coach Dino Babers has to look into his roster and see who can shine this season. Last year, redshirt senior Brandon Berry was the surprise of the year as he led the squad with five and a half sacks. ‘Cuse has a few options this season to take the reins as the sack leader, so let’s dive in.

Josh Black

Of the players on the 2020 roster, Josh Black tallied the most sacks last season with four. The redshirt senior has shown flashes of pass-rushing brilliance in his career and is the obvious choice to take over. Black is a versatile lineman who can play the nose tackle position or the end. So far, he has started in 25 games. Look for him to clog up the middle of the defense and sneak by the O line to record a few more sacks this season.

WR recruit Landon Morris would thrive with the Orange (itlh; Mlodzinski)

Syracuse football recruit, Landon Morris, has the Orange listed in his top three. Here’s why he’d thrive under Dino Babers.

Landon Morris, a 3-star rated recruit by 247sports, recently released his top three schools via his Twitter page, which includes the Orange, among Iowa State and Boston College. However, the wideout and Syracuse football seem like the perfect pair on paper.

Morris, who stands at 6-feet-5-inches and weighs 210 pounds, is actually being recruited as a WR/TE combo, given his tremendous size at that position. A class of 2021 prospect, he plays at Nazareth Academy in La Grange, Illinois.

I appreciate all of the schools who have believed in me! I want to thank God

— Landon Morris (@landon_morris81) April 24, 2020

At first glance, that height and weight combo stands out. Having a tall receiver can only help any quarterback out, and gives cornerbacks a tough challenge on fade routes and deep passes.

Leonard discusses Syracuse offer (247sports.com; McAllister)

Syracuse football has been quite active on the recruiting trail over the last few weeks. They have landed commitments in the 2020 and 2021 classes, and extended offers to prospects across the country. Quarterback offers always seem to stand out a bit more, that is exactly what 2021 quarterback prospect Riley Leonard announced on Sunday. He posted on Twitter that the Orange had offered. Leonard is a two sport star at Fairhope High in Alabama, as also has scholarship offers as a basketball recruit.

"Ryan Bartow (Syracuse's Director of High School Relations) had a close friend at another school send him my clips of basketball and football highlights and he loved them," Leonard said. "He then sent them to (quarterbacks) coach (Sterlin) Gilbert and it took off."

Leonard has been talking to the Syracuse coaches for quite some time. When they offered, it was a big moment for him as a football prospect.

"It was my first power five offer," Leonard said. "So when it came through, I was speechless. There's no better feeling."

Leonard also holds offers from Duke, South Alabama, Southern Miss and Tulane for football. But Syracuse will always be that first power five offer. They took that and have run with it, developing a strong relationship with the 6-foot-4 Fairhope standout. So much so that it has put the Orange as one of Leonard's top options.

640x0.jpg

Nick Carparelli, who recently took over as executive director of the Football Bowl Administration, is part of a trio with Cheshire ties -- with Paul Pasqualoni and Steve Addazio -- who have had a profound impact on the college football world

Carparelli, new head of the Football Bowl Association, continues long line of Cheshire-based impact on college football. (ctinsider.com; Borges)

Nick Carparelli never played the game. Football, at least.

He was a standout basketball player at Cheshire High, playing for his father and legendary coach Nick Sr., and a good baseball player, too. But he never played football.

He should have, former Cheshire and current Colorado State head coach Steve Addazio said. 'What an unbelievable tight end he would have been'.

Carparelli might not have ever strapped on the helmet and shoulder pads, but he has certainly made a name for himself in the sport. He has been Bill Belichick's director of operations with the New England Patriots and the prime football administrator for the Big East and American Athletic Conferences, among several other jobs.

Recently, Carparelli was named the Executive Director of the Football Bowl Association. Translation: He's kind of a big deal in the world of college football.

'I'm extremely fortunate and privileged to have this job' said Carparelli, who officially took over the position a few weeks ago. 'College football bowl games are one of the great traditions in American sport, and for me to be the head of the association is really a privilege for me.'

The FBA is a non-profit organization established to help build up the traditions of bowl games, promote the positive aspects of the bowl system and individual bowl games, and help grow the enterprise.

Our ode to College Football in 2020 | Bob Asmussen's preseason rankings from 1-130 (news-gazette.com; asmussen)

67. Syracuse

From beat writer Nate Mink of the Syracuse (N.Y.) Post-Standard

A brief revitalization occurred in upstate New York in 2018, when Dino Babers led Syracuse to its first 10-win season in 17 years.

That yielded a record-number of new season-ticket sales and the program’s first sellout since the days of Donovan McNabb in 1998, and it nudged the university to rip up Babers’ contract for a new long-term deal, fearful he would soon become a hot candidate on the coaching market.

All of that now seems like ancient history — and that was before a global crisis struck.

They’ve deflated the Carrier Dome roof for good in March, but I’m not sure last fall’s 5-7 disappointment didn’t do the job just as well. It was a harbinger for swift change. Babers remade his staff, bringing in new offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert to recapture the offensive mojo and hiring new defensive coordinator Tony White to install a 3-3-5 system.

What’s a fair appraisal of what lies ahead in 2020? SU’s offensive line, perhaps the worst unit in college football last season, must show dramatic improvement before quarterback Tommy DeVito and the offensive pieces can even begin to progress to the extent they need.

Installing a foreign defensive system on a compressed practice and meeting schedule seems like a worst-case scenario, and that’s before we delve into personnel turnover at linebacker and the edge pass-rush positions. Junior safety Andre Cisco, a potential Day 1 or Day 2 draft pick next year, is worth watching.

Simply getting back to bowl eligibility seems a step in the right direction. With a diet of junk food in the nonconference schedule and an ACC slate that doesn’t look too imposing beyond Clemson, anything less will start to raise questions that two years ago seemed unfathomable.

College Football Now: Power 5 Conference ACC breakdown (orlandosentinel.com; video)

College Football Now talks about the Power 5 Conference. They discuss the ACC of Florida State, Clemson, Pittsburgh, Duke, North Carolina, and Miami.

chase-sweigart-clemson-bc-game-visit-2-2.jpg

Clemson coach checks in on standout OL (theclemsoninsider.com; Oliver)

Clemson assistant coach Brandon Streeter recently reached out to Chapin (S.C.) head coach Justin Gentry to check in on one of his standout offensive lineman, class of 2022 prospect Chase Sweigart.

“It’s a privilege and an honor for Coach Streeter to show interest in me,” Sweigart said. “I look forward to earning a stronger relationship in the near future with him.”

Sweigart is on the radar of Clemson and offensive line coach Robbie Caldwell, having participated in the Dabo Swinney Football Camp in each summer since he was a second grader prior to last year when he was unable to work out due to injury, though he still attended the camp.

Unfortunately for Sweigart, he won’t have a chance to compete at the camp again this year as Clemson University announced last week the cancellation of all on-campus athletic and academic camps scheduled to be held this summer due to COVID-19.

The Swinney Camps typically take place the first two weeks of June.

“I am devastated that I cannot participate in camp for the second year in a row because last year I had an injury from spring and I was truly looking forward to this year’s camp to show improvement since the last time they saw me freshman year,” Sweigart said. “I’ll miss seeing Coach Caldwell’s first impression this year.”

Along with Clemson, a lot of other schools are showing early interest in Sweigart, a 6-foot-6 rising junior who last weighed in at 298 pounds.

“I’ve had Louisville contact me to come watch a game,” he said. “I’ve taken two visits to NC State and they want me up there on an individual visit. Clemson, NC State, Virginia Tech, Duke, Syracuse, App State, Kentucky, Florida, South Florida and Illinois.”

Not only can he get better, Etienne has opportunity to shatter ACC records (theclemsoninsider.com; Vandervort)

for gbo

Last year, few players in college football improved at their craft more than Travis Etienne.

Not only did the Clemson running back get better at running the football, which was bad enough for a defense, but he improved as a receiver out of the backfield and in his ability to block and read defenses as well.

“I just feel like, as a player, I’ve grown. In football, you’re always learning new things, tips and little tricks just to be better,” Etienne said recently. “So, I feel like my IQ has grown more because there’s always room for improvement.”

Perhaps the Fiesta Bowl was the best example of how much Etienne has improved. Though he was held to a season-low 36 yards on the ground, he was still a big factor in the Tigers’ win over Ohio State. He came out of the backfield to catch three passes for 98 yards, including two that went for touchdowns. One of those was a 34-yard catch-and-run for the game-winning touchdown.

Fixing the Transfer Portal (RX; HM)

Fixing the Transfer Portal

TRANSFERS.
This subject is potentially tied into NIL rules - I mean, don't you think players will transfer to where they can get more money? You'd be naive to think otherwise, IMO! So fixing the Transfer Portal may be more urgent than ever...

Why do we need a Transfer Portal?
Before the portal, players were often held hostage by their coaches. They wouldn't get to play, but they couldn't transfer either (unless it was to an FCS school or if they were willing to sit out a whole year at an FBS school). Players would ask for permission to transfer, but many coaches said "no"! Yet sometimes those very same coaches would abandon their players to take a better job at another school - the height of hypocrisy! Something had to be done to achieve fairness, so the NCAA invented the Transfer Portal...

Finnelytics All-ACC Division 2020 Preseason Teams (RX; HM)

Finnelytics All-ACC Division 2020 Preseason Teams

So there's this twitter account I've discovered called Finnelytics, and they have preseason all-ACC teams, but by division. Here are their picks...

All-Atlantic Division Offense:

Two-time ACC POTY Travis Etienne highlights the 2020 preseason ACC All-Atlantic team on offense.
— Finnelytics (@Finnelytics) May 1, 2020

All-Atlantic Division Defense:

2020 preseason ACC All-Atlantic defensive team.
— Finnelytics (@Finnelytics) May 1, 2020
6 players from Clemson, but 7 players from Florida State... things that make you go "hmmm"!

Links, news and rumors - 5/4/20 (RX; HM)

Links, news and rumors - 5/4/20

The next big thing on the college football schedule: media days...

Current 2020 FBS media day slate:

AAC: 7/13-14; Newport, RI
SEC: 7/13-16; Atlanta
MW: 7/16-17;
Big 12: 7/20-21; Arlington, TX
MAC: 7/20-21; Detroit
ACC: 7/22-23; Charlotte
Big Ten: 7/22-23; Chicago
C-USA: 7/22-23; Frisco, TX
Sun Belt: 7/28-29; New Orleans
Pac-12: 7/29; LA
— RedditCFB (@RedditCFB) April 29, 2020

Other

KX7U27BFBBFLPNBHYGJX24XFGI.jpg

McMahon offers clues about what businesses might restart this month (PS; Weaver)

Onondaga County Ryan McMahon gave a glimpse today of what businesses might reopen in Central New York in the coming weeks after being shut down because of coronavirus.

First up would be construction and manufacturing, which Gov. Andrew Cuomo already has said would be in the first reopening phase in some regions as business slowly gets going again.

And McMahon thinks Central New York is poised to add some of that work back on May 16 when the state’s current shutdown expires. There’s no guarantee that will be the first day some go back to work. Cuomo has yet to lay out any definitive start date for any industry or region.

Yet this region has the second-lowest rate of virus spread, behind the North Country.

“We’re mindful what we do here is going to be the blueprint for what they do across the state,” McMahon said.

Finnelytics has Syracuse S Andre Cisco as the best in the Atlantic division at his position this Fall, but that was the only Orange player. TBH, I was surprised how many FSU and Pitt players they selected on their preseason all-ACC teams.