Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
befunky-design23.jpg
Welcome to National Strawberries and Cream Day!

Made with sliced strawberries and homemade whipped cream, strawberries and cream is a snack or treat that is quick and easy to make. Its basic recipe can be tweaked in many ways. Vanilla or amaretto liqueur can be added to the cream, or sour cream with brown sugar can replace the whipped cream altogether and be used as a dip. Layers of strawberries and cream can also be used to make trifles.

Strawberries and cream is a British dish. In 1514, during the Tudor period, Cardinal Thomas Wolsey—who was close to King Henry VIII—began building Hampton Court. Its large kitchens fed about 600 people twice a day. According to one story, a chef there came up with strawberries and cream so that desserts could quickly be prepared for the many guests. The chef's name is not known and Wolsey tends to get credit for the treat's creation. Another similar story says that strawberries and cream were first served at a banquet hosted by Wolsey, but it puts the date of their creation at 1509, which predates the building of Hampton Court.

SU News

Magnuson excited about Syracuse offer (247sports.com; McAllister)

Class of 2021 three star Minneapolis (MN) Wayzata offensive tackle Tyler Magnuson picked up his first power five offer from Syracuse recently. The 6-foot-5 prospect also has offers from MAC schools, the service academies and others. The scholarships opportunity came from the Orange after communication over a few week period.

"I’m excited," Magnuson said. "Coach Cav (offensive line coach Mike Cavanaugh) and I had been texting on and off for around a month. Early in the day, before the offer, I had talked to my head coach, Coach Brown. Coach Brown said that Coach Cav would like to get in touch today, so I gave him a call. We talked on the phone for a bit. Around 6pm Coach Brown told me to call Coach Cav at 7pm, and once I called him I received the offer. My mom and I were very excited as she was on the phone with me."

This was Magnuson's first offer from a power five program, and that was something that meant a lot to him. While he is still getting to know the coaches and the program, he is familiar with Syracuse from watching a different sport.

"I’m very grateful for this opportunity," Magnuson said. "I grew up watching Syracuse lacrosse, so this offer, as long with the rest, mean a lot to me. It is a Power Five school, and I’m looking for the school that will fit me best. I’m really looking forward to getting on campus.

"I started playing lacrosse in middle school. I went to the Northstar lacrosse camp every summer and somehow Syracuse was mentioned, so I’d watch the replays on YouTube."

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: 5/21: Syracuse 2021 Football Commit Derek McDonald Part 1 on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Aki & Leonard)

Tyler Aki and Tim Leonard are joined by Syracuse 2021 football commit Derek McDonald to talk about his positional versatility, how he ended up at Syracuse despite never visiting, what his virtual tour was like and some fishing stories.

On The Block On Demand 5-20-20 (ESPN; radio; Axe)

Today Brent talks the return of college football and the return of SU Football

Clemson Tigers — 2020 Syracuse Football preview - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

for gbo

As we countdown to kickoff in September, we’re going to be doing a team-by-team preview each week over the summer. SU will continue its 2020 ACC schedule on October 24 against Clemson.

UNDERACHIEVING?

It’s a rare situation in which an undefeated regular season and a runner-up in the national championship qualifies as a ‘disappointing’ season, but that’s the type of dynasty that Dabo Swinney has established at Clemson.

Where else could expectations go in 2019 after a year in which the Tigers went undefeated in the regular season before stream rolling Alabama, 44-16, in the National Championship game?

Quarterback Trevor Lawrence came into the season as an early Heisman favorite, and the Tigers were the team to beat out of the gate. But Lawrence struggled early on, throwing eight interceptions in the first seven games. That stretch of games nearly included an upset against North Carolina, where the Tigers escaped 21-20 after a failed two-point conversion from the Tar Heels.

He, of course, figured things out after that, and didn’t throw an interception after Oct. 19, while finishing with 3,665 yards and 36 touchdowns. Clemson won by at least 35 points to conclude the regular season.

That earned the Tigers a place in their fifth consecutive College Football Playoff, where they knocked off Ohio State 29-23 before losing to LSU in the National Title game. Lawrence was merely pedestrian in that game, completing just 18 of 37 passes for 234 yards and no touchdowns. By comparison, Joe Burrow finished with 463 yards and five touchdowns to snap Clemson’s 29-game winning streak.

THE OFFENSE IS STILL LOADED

Lawrence heads into 2020 as the Heisman favorite yet again. He’s now a junior, and expected to leave after this season for the NFL. There’s little left to accomplish for Lawrence at this level. As a freshman, he led his team to the national championship. As a sophomore, he led them to the title game. Other than another run at a Heisman Trophy and another championship, what else is there?

Sure, Lawrence will miss throwing to Tee Higgins (drafted with the 33rd overall selection of the 2020 NFL Draft to the Cincinnati Bengals), but he still has star receivers Justyn Ross (865 eight touchdowns) and Amari Rodgers (426 yards and four touchdowns) on the roster.

He’s also joined by running back Travis Etienne, who is also on the Heisman radar. He’s coming off a season where he rushed for 1,614 yards and 19 touchdowns, and somewhat surprisingly returned for his senior season.

Perhaps the only weakness on the offense will be up front, where left tackle Jackson Carman is the only returning starter. But the coaching staff likes what they have in linemen Matt Bockhorst, Jordan McFadden and Will Putnam.

Syracuse football legend Jim Brown among 10 greats who retired too early (itlh; Adler)

CBS Sports recently took a look at 10 all-time athletes who called it quits too early, and former Syracuse football star Jim Brown is on the list.

Jim Brown starred in four sports on the Hill, including Syracuse football, before going on to play in the NFL for the Cleveland Browns from 1957 to 1965, during which time he scored 106 touchdowns, per his bio on cuse.com.

For his spectacular athletic achievements, Brown got inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1971 and into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1995. Earlier this year, ESPN slotted Brown at No. 1 in its rankings of the 150 greatest players in college football’s 150-year tenure.

But Brown elected to stop competing in the NFL after fewer than 10 seasons in the league, and at the relatively young age of 29. That is why CBS Sports, in a recently published and really interesting piece, featured Brown among 10 of the best athletes ever “who had some gas left in the tank before calling it quits.”

Here’s what CBS Sports said about Brown. “Much like Barry Sanders, Jim Brown retired when he was still putting up monster numbers on a yearly basis. Brown retired after just nine seasons and was coming off a season in which he rushed for 1,544 yards and tied his previous career-high of 17 touchdowns. The Cleveland Browns star tailback averaged 104.3 rushing yards per contest and 5.2 yards-per-carry over the course of his career. Brown was one of the most lethal running backs in the league and widely considered one of the greatest NFL players of all-time when he walked away in the prime of his career.”

Program Twilight: Spitballing Some Fixes (gobblercountry.com; Fahvaag)

But interesting notes aside, the reality is that high powered pro-style and read-option offenses require some serious talent to pull off. The R-O is particularly talent dependent because so much of the play style is dynamic and dependent on a dual-threat quarterback. When a coaching staff picks an offensive style or “system” there is the relentless need to fill those positions with the best available players. The second impulse is that from year to year that quality level of player must be replaced, regularly.

The replacement reality is why the 2007 Hokies were mentioned. Those teams were some of the best that Tech has ever fielded, across the depth chart. The fact is that during the 2007-2012 recruiting cycles Tech routinely failed to net enough high-quality players to fill out complete depth charts. One need only look back at the last 4 years of roster reviews to see the problem writ large. It’s not about getting one or two four-star recruits. It’s about getting them, plus promising three-star backups that can be built into four-star talent. It also means having a rolling replacement of four-star talent at critical positions like quarterback, wide receiver, and running back. Well, we just aren’t hitting enough of those recruiting taters to make a huge dent in the skill talent requirement.

The Realities of ‘Average’

The coaching staff has been chugging hard, but there are some serious changes to the way recruits and players respond to various programs. There are recruiting services, camps, seven-on-seven leagues, coaching pipelines, and a zillion other things that young and talented recruits have at their disposal. They are free agents and the best have large numbers of offers from which to choose. These days, players expect certain kinds of treatment that, even a decade ago, would never be tolerated by top rated programs. The old “hey, if you want to play, play for me… because you’ll ride the pine there” line is looked at as just a line, now. It’s all about the NFL and the promise of a big payoff in the near future. If you are a program like the Universities of Delaware and Buffalo, or Marshall, ECU, Coastal Carolina… Arkansas State, etc. You cannot compete with the likes of a B1G, SEC, or PAC12 program for pro exposure. Even within those conferences there are plenty of schools that remain in the twilight and will probably never see a conference championship on the gridiron. Maryland went from perennial anchor of the ACC Atlantic to Perennial Anchor of the B1G. Rutgers lurks down there with them as well.

Virginia Tech football: Hokies hire Marc Lewis to full-time role on strength & conditioning staff (gobblercountry.com; Manning)

The Virginia Tech Hokies added to their staff on Wednesday when the school quietly announced it had hired Marc Lewis in a full-time position to assist with the football team’s strength and conditioning staff.

While this appears to be an under-the radar, nondescript hire, it is really much more than that.

Lewis, who earned his master’s of science from Virginia Tech, will lead the school’s sports science analytics program for the football team.

Lewis spent last year working with strength and conditioning coach, Ben Hilgart.

Many of the nation’s top programs already had coaches like Lewis already in place. When we tell you how far Virginia Tech is behind in some of its resources on the football side, this is an example.

Per Virginia Tech’s official website, here is a little more background on Lewis.

Lewis is currently pursuing his Ph.D. in Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise at Tech. In the past year, he assisted Hilgart’s team in the development and implementation of a comprehensive strength and conditioning program aimed at reducing the likelihood and severity of sport-related injury, while enhancing on-field performance. He will manage Tech’s comprehensive athlete monitoring program using GPS tracking and heart rate monitor systems utilized by student-athletes during training and practice to collect and analyze data as he monitors training load and assesses performance indicators, working in conjunction with Mike Goforth and Tech’s medical and athletic training staffs. Lewis has also held a position as a sports science research assistant, human nutrition, foods and exercise at Virginia Tech for the past three years where he has assisted with athlete monitoring using GPS technology and heart rate monitors, collected subjective data on athlete readiness and sessional Ratings of Perceived Exertion (sRPE), and conducted gait analyses used in return-to-play protocols using data from the triaxial GPS.

Lewis isn’t going to help Virginia Tech on the recruiting trail. But he can help the coaching staff in many ways.

With transfer QB D'Eriq King at the helm, Miami is back and ready to cause chaos in the ACC | College Football and NFL Draft | PFF (pff.com; Treash)

Expectations for the Miami Hurricanes entering the 2019 college football season were a tad lower than the program was accustomed to. Then-head coach Mark Richt retired after leading the Hurricanes to a winning record and a top-10 appearance in the AP Top 25 in each of his three seasons, and there were question marks with how Miami's new offense would fare with Jarren Williams as the starter and a new coaching regime. As a result, they were just on the outside of the preseason AP Top 25 and rang in at 25th in our 2019 preseason power rankings.

[Editor’s note: Subscribe to PFF ELITE today to gain access to PFF’s Premium Stats and new Player Grades experience in addition to the 2020 NFL Draft Guide, 2020 Fantasy Rookie Scouting Report, PFF Greenline, all of PFF’s premium article content and more.]

Despite the concerns, it seemed highly unlikely the Hurricanes would finish with a losing record considering their solid defense and fairly easy schedule. The Miami defense would make good on those expectations, ranking 22nd of the 130 FBS teams in expected points added (EPA) per play allowed for the 2019 season. However, the defense wasn’t enough to overcome the offensive woes. Miami ranked 88th in EPA per play on offense and 108th in team offense grade, which is really no different than what we have seen from the Hurricanes over the past few years:

MIAMI HURRICANES EPA PER PLAY AND RANK

SeasonEPA per playFBS rank
2019-0.05588th
2018-0.112105th
2017-0.03970th
20160.04434th
2015-0.04163rd
20140.01147th
Miami went on to finish the 2019 season 6-7, including three straight losses — to Florida International, Duke and Louisiana Tech (whom they were shutout too) — to close out the year, which resulted in the firing of first-year offensive coordinator Dan Enos.

Moral of the story: Defenses don’t win championships — it all starts with the quarterback and the passing attack, an area Miami clearly struggled in this past year and throughout the PFF College era (2014-present). In fact, the highest PFF grade a Miami quarterback has ever produced was Brad Kaaya in 2015 when he recorded an 80.6 overall mark, which placed him around the 68th percentile among Power-5 quarterbacks that year. Since Kaaya’s departure following the 2016 season, Miami has had three straight seasons of below-average quarterback play in regard to both PFF grade and PFF wins above average (WAA).

Clemson gets commitment from quarterback/pitcher Bubba Chandler (postandcourier.com; Kornblut)

for gbo

Clemson missed out on its top two quarterback targets for the 2021 class — five-star Caleb Williams and four-star Christian Veilleux — but the Tigers did land on Wednesday a talented prospect in Bubba Chandler, a 6-4, 195-pound junior from Bogart, Ga.

Chandler was not a heavily recruited quarterback until Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney offered, and then Miami, Louisville and Ole Miss followed with offers. He is a right-handed pitcher and infielder who has been clocked in the low 90s, and he had been a Georgia baseball commitment since last June. This meant he wasn’t highly thought of in football recruiting circles.

Clemson quarterbacks coach Brandon Streeter moved on Chandler after reviewing his junior film and having several virtual meetings with him.

“It’s been crazy, it’s been really sweet, I never dreamed of it, if we’re going to be honest,” Chandler said. “A few of my buddies and I were talking and saying when we were freshmen we never even played on the football and how cool it would be to to play at Clemson, and now I have the opportunity to do so. It’s just different there. They’re bringing in guys that are like me who don’t have the stars and the publicity and turn them into first-round draft picks like Isaiah Simmons.”

No P5 OOC in 2020 (RX; HM)

No P5 OOC in 2020

Power 5 members that won’t play a non-conference Power opponent in 2020

In the name of comparative fairness, we’ve opted, in this exercise, to only count members of the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC plus BYU and Notre Dame as “Power” opponents.

ILLINOIS
2020 non-conference schedule: FCS Illinois State, UConn, Bowling Green

INDIANA
2020 non-conference schedule: WKU, Ball State, at UConn
NEBRASKA
2020 non-conference schedule: Central Michigan, FCS South Dakota State, Cincinnati
NORTHWESTERN
2020 non-conference schedule: Tulane, Central Michigan, FCS Morgan State
UCLA
2020 non-conference schedule: New Mexico State, at Hawaii, at San Diego State
WASHINGTON STATE
2020 non-conference schedule: at Utah State, Houston, FCS Idaho
Things look pretty bad for the Big Ten, which has 4 teams that don't even challenge themselves enough to play BYU... If we DON'T count BYU as a "power" opponent, we'd add 3 more teams to this list:

How college football is looking to answer its coronavirus testing question (ESPN; Adelson & Dinich)

Every day is roughly the same for McKenzie Milton. The UCF quarterback drives from his off-campus apartment to the team's football complex, where he has received permission to use the facility to continue his rehabilitation following a gruesome injury to his right leg nearly 18 months ago.

Before entering the building, he gets a forehead scan for a quick temperature check -- part of new health and safety protocols implemented in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. Then he washes his hands. Masks are required, and equipment must be wiped down after each use. He also must stay 6 feet apart from other players who are there. It's a protocol many schools across the country have administered for athletes rehabbing long-term injuries.

But then, about a week ago, his throat started to hurt. He stayed home. When he developed a slight fever, he started to panic. Milton drove himself to a COVID-19 drive-through testing center located in a parking garage on the UCF campus, where medical personnel administered a diagnostic test by pushing a long swab up his nose.

His eyes watered. "It was terrible," he says, "but better safe than sorry."

He got the results the following day: He tested negative. Within a few days, the fever was gone and he felt like himself again. Milton missed two days of physical therapy, but while he awaited the test results, he could not help but think about all the people he had interacted with on a daily basis after he decided to stay in Orlando and continue with his daily rehab instead of returning home to Hawaii.

College Football Rankings: Post-spring Top 25 projections for 2020 (saturdayblitz.com; Gershon)

Who makes the top 25 in our post spring rankings? Let’s take a look.

25 KNIGHTS

UCF has been the top Group of Five program over the past three years. The Knights were knocked off their American Athletic Conference pedestal by Memphis last season but Josh Heupel has a loaded roster returning to Orlando next season hungry to get back on top.

24 HAWKEYES

Kirk Ferentz may be the most under-appreciated coach in college football. He’ll need to replace Nate Stanley at quarterback in 2020 and has some holes to fill on defense, but Iowa‘s still going to pound the rock, slow opposing offenses down and compete for a Big Ten West title as they always find a way to do.

23 UTES

The Utes have another strong roster heading into 2020, but the amount of talent they have to replace is a tall order for Kyle Whittingham. Seven players from Utah’s Pac-12 South title roster from a year ago were drafted by NFL squads last month and quarterback Tyler Huntley graduated and was signed by the Ravens.

There will be plenty of pressure on Utah’s younger players and South Carolina transfer Jake Bentley to make up for one of the most talented rosters in school history.

22 CARDINALS

The Cardinals went from a 2-10 team in 2018 to an 8-5 bowl winner in Scott Satterfield’s first year at Louisville. This season they’ll return a trio of the top weapons in the ACC in Micale Cunningham, Javian Hawkins and Tutu Atwell, but their defense is still a big question mark. The Cardinals finished 111th in the country against the run (212.2 yards per game) and 96th against the pass (250.2 yards per game) These numbers will need to improve if they want to continue to improve in 2020.

21 WILDCATS

Very quietly, Kentucky has gone 18-8 the past two seasons with bowl wins over Penn State and Virginia Tech. The Wildcats lose Lynn Bowden, but Terry Wilson, who is 12-3 as a starter, will return from injury and have the SEC’s top-graded offensive line, and three running backs who helped put together the league’s top rushing offense back behind him.

Kentucky’s pass defense finished second in the country last season in yards per game (163.8) and was tied with the least amount of passing touchdowns allowed with Ohio State (9). They’ll need to prove they can hurdle passed Florida, Georgia and even Tennessee, but their roster is a top 25 one entering the new season.

Other

Syracuse restaurant Varsity Pizza reopens for curbside and takeout orders after two months closed, due to the coronavirus.

Attachments

• 1590058633305.png
    1590058633305.png
    73 bytes · Views: 98