Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
s-l500.jpg

Welcome to National Buy a Musical Instrument Day!

It’s Buy a Musical Instrument Day! It is unknown when the first musical instrument was invented, but historians believe that flutes made of animal bones date back 37,000 years. Today there are 6 main instrument categories – percussion, woodwinds, brass, strings, keyboard, and electronic.

Worldwide, the most played instrument is the piano, followed by the guitar and the drums. 21 million Americans play the piano – that's more than all other instruments combined! Other popular instruments include the flute, ukulele, saxophone, clarinet, trombone, and violin. Not only is playing a musical instrument fun, it can also increase abilities in other areas. Children who play a musical instrument read at more advanced levels, have larger vocabularies, and work better in teams.

SU News

Academics played role in two recent recruiting misses for Syracuse football (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football has seen a pair of 2021 three-star prospects opt for other programs.

This week, Syracuse football 2021 targets Riley Leonard and Josh Moore elected to take their skills and talents to teams other than the Orange.

It happens. Recruiting is fickle, and more often than not, the ‘Cuse will lose out to other squads even when prospects place Syracuse among their core group of finalists under consideration.

Leonard, a 6-foot-4, dual-threat quarterback who is rated as three stars by , picked fellow Atlantic Coast Conference member Duke. The Orange had made Leonard, a two-sport star at Fairhope High School in Fairhope, Ala., who also excels in basketball, its No. 1 quarterback target in this class.

He held scholarship offers from additional crews including Nebraska, South Alabama, Southern Mississippi, Tulane and Vanderbilt. In revealing his decision, Leonard told TheDevilsDen.com, “Duke was the school that for the rest of my life I could walk around with pride knowing I went there.”

Prior to his commitment to the Blue Devils, Leonard also said in this article, “No. 1 is an education and then No. 2, I’m not worried about facilities or how nice a school is. I’m worried about relationships with coaches, because at the end of the day it doesn’t matter how nice a place is. If you’re going to play for a coach every day that you really love, it makes all the difference.”

5/23 FizzRadio: NCAA Ruling, 2020 Football Schedule, All-Decade Football Team – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; podcast; May)

On this episode of Fizz Radio, Jaron May and Matt Bonaparte discuss how the NCAA’s ruling to allow athletes back on June 1st impacts SU, breakdown the 2020 Orange football schedule, list out their all-decade football team, and of course get to your Fizz Feedback.

You can listen to Fizz Radio on the Score 1260 in Syracuse from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. every Saturday morning and subscribe to get each podcast version right to your smartphone on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, etc. Hope you enjoy!

Syracuse Orange athletics in June is great possibility (itlh; Mlodzinski)

The NCAA announced that starting June 1, student-athletes are permitted for voluntary on-campus workouts. Here’s what that means for the Syracuse Orange.

This vote was directed solely at football and men’s and women’s basketball players, as they are usually the first athletes on campus during the summer. This news is a huge step forward, as collegiate athletics have practically been shut down for over two months due to Covid-19.

It comes amid concerns over the possibilities of having fall sports seasons in 2020. However, with NASCAR already resumed, the PGA Tour starting play back up on June 11, and both the MLB and NBA seemingly very close to finalizing plans to play, it has become laid light on the fact that college sports could still go on.

Eastpointe 2022 WR Tay’Shawn Trent was offered by Syracuse - The D Zone Football (theredzone.com)
Tay’Shawn Trent
Eastpointe Shamrocks

Graduation Year 2022
Number #15
Positions WR
Height 6’4
Weight 210

• 05/21/20
      Offer
      Syracuse
      (Football)
    • 05/21/20
      Offer
      Buffalo
      (Football)
    • 05/20/20
      Offer
      Penn State
      (Football)
    • 05/16/20
      Offer
      Michigan
      (Football)
    • 05/15/20
      Offer
      West Virginia
      (Football)
    • 05/14/20
      Offer
      Kentucky
      (Football)
    • 05/13/20
      Offer
      Central Michigan
      (Football)
    • 05/12/20
      Offer
      Akron
      (Football)
    • 05/11/20
      Offer
      Indiana
      (Football)
    • 05/11/20
      Offer
      Cincinnati
      (Football)
    • 05/11/20
      Offer
      Toledo
      (Football)
    • 05/10/20
      Offer
      Youngstown State University
      (Football)

https://accsports.com/acc-news/report-no-football-could-cost-power-five-athletics-4-billion/ (accsports.com; Geisinger)

In a report from Mark Schlabach and Paula Lavigne of ESPN, the cost of a potentially lost college football season in 2020 is drawn out. The negative impact would be massive — a collective loss of over $4 billion for Power 5 universities, according to one analysis.

Patrick Rishe, director of the sports business program at Washington University in St. Louis, examined the possibly of a cancelled 2020 football season for ESPN. His conclusions were rather grim.

Rishe estimates that the 65 Power 5 schools would collectively lose more than $4 billion in football revenues, with at least $1.2 billion of that due to lost ticket revenue. Each Power 5 school would see at least an average loss of $62 million in football revenue, including at least $18.6 million in football ticket sales, he said.

As the college sports landscape desperately tries to adjust to the altered reality it finds itself in amid the COVID-19 pandemic, changes are happening everywhere, and in every possible direction. The losses of the 2020 NCAA Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournaments were major financial blows; although, for at least the 2019-20 academic year, which included the 2019 football season, things remain relatively stable in the ACC, as far as the money goes.

However, that’s only in the short-term; the financial outlook shifts as the calendar flip to 2020 and beyond. Even then, Louisville was one of at least 20 FBS athletic departments to already announce mandatory furloughs or voluntary pay cuts for athletic staffers, including coaches. Louisville AD Vince Tyra said that if there were no football season in 2020 it would create a financial shortfall of $50 million — worst-case scenario. This is roughly 45 percent of Louisville’s athletics budget.

That number from Louisville fits right in line with information in the ESPN report, provided by Syracuse’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

Public school Power 5 athletic departments on average made nearly half of their total operating revenue from football, with about 14% coming from football ticket sales alone

Regional Rivalries 2020-25 (RX; HM)

Looks like someone forgot somebody...

Regional Rivalries 2020-25

ACC regions

The Coronavirus pandemic has reminded a lot of people that it shouldn't be necessary to cross the country in order to play a football game - there are plenty of interesting games within a couple hundred miles, generally speaking. How are ACC teams already doing in that regard? Glad you asked!

Regional (in-State or about 240 miles or less*) Games Upcoming

Boston College Eagles
2020Holy Cross(FCS)
2021@UMass
2022Maine(FCS),
@UConn
2023Holy Cross(FCS),
@Army, UConn
2025UMass

ROOM TO IMPROVE
- hits all of the key teams in New England at least once.
2023 looks good, but nothing for 2024 season.
Probably wouldn't kill you to play UMass more, Eagles
(just

https://accsports.com/acc-news/4-star-jj-jones-commits-unc-adds-3rd-wr-in-2021-class/ (accsports.com; Geisinger)

North Carolina football’s 2021 recruiting class grew to 15 late Thursday night with a commitment from 4-star wide receiver JJ Jones.

A native of Myrtle Beach, 247 Sports slots Jones as the No. 3 overall prospect in the state of South Carolina and the No. 50 receiver in the 2021 class. (247’s composite ranking has Jones as a 3-star prospect.)

100% COMMITTED! @samharrigan84 @CoachMackBrown @CoachGalloway7 @uncfootball

— Jj Jones (@jjjones_5) May 22, 2020

The 6-foot-3 Jones is a top 500 prospect in the class; he picked North Carolina over a host of Power 5 programs, including South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi State and Tennessee. Virginia Tech, from the ACC, along with Michigan Arkansas, Penn State and West Virginia were in the mix earlier, too.

Wide receivers coach Lonnie Galloway led UNC’s recruitment for Jones. Galloway is quickly proving to be an ace recruiter, having helped land commitments from Myles Murphy, Josh Downs and Gavin Backwell, another 2021 receiver.

https://accsports.com/acc-news/with...-acc-have-2-top-5-recruiting-classes-in-2021/ (accsports.com; Geisinger)

Last September, Clemson survived a thrilling road contest at North Carolina with a 21-20 victory, thanks to a two-point conversion stop with 1:17 left in the fourth quarter. This proved to be Clemson’s lone one-possession win during the regular season; every other victory, prior to the CFP, came by 14 or more points.

Once again, Clemson and North Carolina are involved in another contest of sorts. This time, though, it’s taking place off the field.

With recent commitments from 5-star running back Will Shipley, 4-star linebacker Barrett Carter, and 3-star quarterback Bubba Chandler, Clemson’s 2021 recruiting class has vaulted back up to No. 3 in the 247 Sports team rankings — just ahead of North Carolina. The Tar Heels check at No. 4. (Shipley committed to Clemson over NC State and UNC.)

In total, the Tigers have 12 commits for 2021, including 10 4-star prospects. This is sort of old hat for Clemson, especially in recent years: the Tigers dominate the recruiting trail. Compared to other ACC programs, Clemson is (currently) in a league of its own. Clemson has the No. 3 recruiting class in the county, despite suffering a de-commit from 5-star defensive end Korey Foreman, the No. 1 overall player in the class.

UNC, on the other hand, is in somewhat unfamiliar territory. Led by Mack Brown, North Carolina’s resurgent recruiting efforts have drawn plenty of attention, though. With 14 commits, including 10 4-star prospects, UNC has dominated in-state recruiting

“Voice of the Green Wave” Andrew Allegretta Welcomes Shaun King to The Current - Tulane University Athletics (tulanegreenwave.com)

Tulane University "Voice of the Green Wave" Andrew Allegretta sat down recently with legendary football quarterback Shaun King (1995-98) in the latest episode of The Current.

Click the link below to listen to the complete interview on King. For previous episodes of The Current, click here.

ABOUT THE GUEST – SHAUN KING
A native of St. Petersburg, Fla., King played played quarterback for the Green Wave from 1995-98. In 1998, he led Tulane to its last perfect season. During that 1998 campaign, Tulane went 12-0, captured the Conference USA championship and won the Liberty Bowl.

King was twice named Conference USA Offensive Player of the Year and started at quarterback for the Green Wave for four straight seasons.

In 1998, he was a semifinalist for the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award and for the Football News' Offensive Player of the Year trophy while setting an NCAA single season record for pass efficiency. He threw for 36 touchdowns and was intercepted only six times, including 166 pass attempts without being picked off.

Other

WXTVFFMGWZGDJHVG5CUVEE6DB4.jpg

Patsy’s Pizza in Syracuse closes after 38 years in business (PS; Cazentre)

Patsy’s Pizza, which has been serving pies, wings, pasta and Italian specialties in Syracuse for 38 years, has decided to close for good.

The pizza place at 1205 Erie Blvd. W. on the city’s west side, announced the closing Wednesday via Facebook and its website.

“Patsy’s Pizza will not be reopening,” the note from owners Rose and Mike Insalaco said. “Thank you all for your years of loyal patronage. We will miss you! Rose & Mike.”

Patsy’s had served takeout-only for a few weeks after the mid-March coronavirus-inspired state order shutting down dining rooms but ended that on April 5 and the shop closed up. Wednesday’s end-of-business announcement did not give a reason, but those responding to the Facebook message indicated the Insalacos are retiring. The Insalacos could not be reached for comment.

Regarding regional football scheduling: is there any reason why Syracuse doesn't play Buffalo more often (4 games all-time; last meeting 2007)?

Regarding regional football scheduling: is there any reason why Syracuse doesn't play Buffalo more often (4 games all-time; last meeting 2007)?
I don't think there is anything official on this out there but this is what I think:

Syracuse isn't really keen on playing Buffalo. If they win, it is expected and they get no credit for this. At all. If they lose, it could help to put UB on the same level with Syracuse and help legitimize their program. I don't think the current staff values recruiting in upstate NY very much so the chance to play in WNY is not a big deal to them either. If they are going to agree to away OOC games, there are lots of other schools not far away that they can play that the staff values as much or more for recruiting (Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, NJ, maybe even Connecticut).

I don't think Buffalo wants to play Syracuse much either. They have taken on a strategy of playing one big time opponent OOC on the road, to make over a million and help keep the losses for trying to play football at a reasonable level. Syracuse is never going to be able to pay the same money they can get playing Alabama, Penn State, Michigan, etc. UB has no fan base so no one cares about playing a game nearby.
And I think they want to play more winnable games in their other OOC games.

So it is a bad fit for both sides.

Maybe some day Syracuse becomes a consistent top 25 program again and will be more interested in this. Maybe the Syracuse staff decides they need to make a stronger presence in WNY and pushes harder for this.

Maybe UB becomes more desperate for cash and decides it makes more sense to play a relatively tough away game for a medium sized payday. They might have to be willing to play a 2 for 1 to book Syracuse. That is what WMU did recently to extend a series with Syracuse.

Buffalo isn't enough of of a cupcake for us to play. In fact, they're pretty good IMO.

I don't think there is anything official on this out there but this is what I think:

Syracuse isn't really keen on playing Buffalo. If they win, it is expected and they get no credit for this. At all. If they lose, it could help to put UB on the same level with Syracuse and help legitimize their program. I don't think the current staff values recruiting in upstate NY very much so the chance to play in WNY is not a big deal to them either. If they are going to agree to away OOC games, there are lots of other schools not far away that they can play that the staff values as much or more for recruiting (Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, NJ, maybe even Connecticut)...

Excellent response - thanks! I think the bolded statement is key, since the main benefits of playing local teams are (1) ticket sales, and (2) local recruiting. FWIW, I think it's always a mistake to overlook local talent, but if that's the strategy, so be it.

FWIW, I think it's always a mistake to overlook local talent, but if that's the strategy, so be it.
Says the guy from Virginia to the guy in New York

I get a chuckle out of this SEC press release. "Voluntary" workouts? Like the NFL's OTA's--be there or be left behind.

"Safety guidelines developed by each institution". I realize there will be differences in the situation from one state to another, and probably variations in circumstances among the various college towns, but. . .this seems like an open invitation to cut corners. It think the conference should put some minimal standards/protocols in place for all members.

Says the guy from Virginia to the guy in New York

Hey, if the fear is that Buffalo's local recruits are good enough to beat your out-of-state recruits, maybe your team is overlooking some quality players in New York, right? It stands to reason.

Hey, if the fear is that Buffalo's local recruits are good enough to beat your out-of-state recruits, maybe your team is overlooking some quality players in New York, right? It stands to reason.
UB might have had 1 or 2 teams in the past that could have beaten Syracuse. I'm not opposed to playing them but it should be a 2 for 1. Others disagree with me.

The good news we never lost to a FCS team... should have lost year (Villanova) but squeaked it out. Good thing we didn't play James Madison. ;-)

UB might have had 1 or 2 teams in the past that could have beaten Syracuse. I'm not opposed to playing them but it should be a 2 for 1. Others disagree with me.

The good news we never lost to a FCS team... should have lost year (Villanova) but squeaked it out. Good thing we didn't play James Madison. ;-)

Villanova is scared to play JMU! (That loss STILL hurts; so does the loss at ODU - two in-state teams that beat the Hokies, so what do I know?)

I am with TexanMark on this. Would book UB with a 2 for 1 indefinitely if they were willing to do it.

Syracuse doesn’t have a big enough stadium to consistently book MAC teams to come to the dome for home onlys. It appears we are having a hard time getting 2 for 1s with MAC schools. Or Temple, UMass, UConn, Army or Navy for that matter.

We can do home onlys with FCS teams. Might get a single home game every once in a while from a MAC team or a BCS school like Middle Tennessee State but the FBS schools within 4 hours of here are rarely or never going to do home onlys or 2 for 1s.

We get 4 OOC games a season. One will be a P5 level opponent. One will be a FBS level opponent. I believe our model now calls for the other two to be FBS types that are not P5.

Given all that, if we have to play home and home series to book those 2 non P5 FBS games each season, I want them against schools that are either as close as possible (to make it easy to get to the games) or are located in important recruiting areas for the program. In my mind anyway, UB checks both boxes, which is why I think we should be playing them regularly.

Would much rather play UB than say Central or Western Michigan. They are too far to travel to easily and I don’t think Michigan is an important recruiting area for us. The staff obviously disagrees but they have struggled to recruit good players out of Michigan and I think we should reconsider playing all these games against MAC opponents in that state.

If we can’t play UB, let’s play in Ohio. I think we could recruit better there than Michigan. Historically, we certainly have. I think Akron is the closest. Ohio is not bad at all. Bowling Green and Kent State work for me too, though I doubt Dino would want to play head to head against his old OC.

I am also good playing UConn. Or UMass. Those 2 really should be 2 for 1s or home onlys given they have no fan base at all.

Temple is scarier because they are better than these other programs but I would play them too. Playing more games in Pennsylvania should help our recruiting and we recruit PA a lot better than MI. It should help us recruit Maryland and Jersey as well.

I also support playing Army and Navy. We would never get anything but a home and home with them but that is okay. We will have a lot of fans at both sites and playing in those places should help recruiting and add another place that is easy for many fans and player families to travel to.

New York high schools annually produce about 5-10 P5 level players. Virginia probably produces 10 times that many, if not more. So there is a reason for their lack of focus on NY kids.

New York high schools annually produce about 5-10 P5 level players. Virginia probably produces 10 times that many, if not more. So there is a reason for their lack of focus on NY kids.
Let’s look at some real numbers on this topic. Not disputing that Virginia produces more P5 talent than NYS does. But NYS far more P5 level players than you think it does. I don’t think NY has ever produced less than 10 in a given year.

Here are the number of recruits who went to P5 schools to play football according to the 247 web site Keep in mind there are others who are in prep school or JUCO and don’t show up in these numbers. This is just a quick and dirty look.

2018 20
2019 14
2020 18
2021 12 (so far)

Let’s look at some real numbers on this topic. Not disputing that Virginia produces more P5 talent than NYS does. But NYS far more P5 level players than you think it does. I don’t think NY has ever produced less than 10 in a given year.

Here are the number of recruits who went to P5 schools to play football according to the 247 web site Keep in mind there are others who are in prep school or JUCO and don’t show up in these numbers. This is just a quick and dirty look.

2018 20
2019 14
2020 18
2021 12 (so far)

Excellent post! Let me add that if you look at NFL talent, Virginia is 17th in sending players to the league, but guess which state is 10th?

Excellent post! Let me add that if you look at NFL talent, Virginia is 17th in sending players to the league, but guess which state is 10th?

When I sorted based on active pros, Virginia was 16th with 31 and NY was 17th with 29.

NY has of course put far more players into the NFL than Virginia all time (NYS has 865 for 9th overall, Virginia has 465 for 16th overall) .

When I sorted based on active pros, Virginia was 16th with 31 and NY was 17th with 29.

NY has of course put far more players into the NFL than Virginia all time (NYS has 865 for 9th overall, Virginia has 465 for 16th overall) .

Ah, I sorted by #Pros. Even so, your exercise is more telling - basically NO difference between NY and VA in terms of active NFL players produced.