Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
pinot-noir-day.jpg
Welcome to Pinot Noir Day!

Every wine deserves to have a day dedicated to its consumption, and none more so than Pinot Noir. Pinot Noir is so named due to the dark color of the grapes, and the pine-cone shaped clusters they grow in on the vine. Showing a strong preference for cooler climates, the grape of the same name is grown primarily in Burgundy, France, though Willamette Valley, Oregon in the USA and Walker Bay region of South Africa both produce notably large crops. Of course, cultivating Pinot Noir is not a task for the faint of heart, for these grapes are difficult to cultivate and tricky to turn into wine.

Perhaps that’s appropriate for a wine that is both rich and complex. The skin of the grapes are thin and don’t offer the protection of thicker skinned grapes, and can be finicky during the aging process, frequently being uneven and unpredictable. The tight clusters require careful management lest rot set in, and this often involves careful management of the canopy.

For those who are willing to brave it and cultivate the skill, the wine that is produced is beyond measure. Pinot Noir Day celebrates all that is required to produce this wine and the delicious bounty that unfolds.

SU News

Camp Notes: Dino Babers awaits opt-out decisions from multiple players (DO; Dabbundo)

The media won’t have access to Syracuse’s training camp practices this year due to the coronavirus pandemic. Instead, the football team is organizing regular Zoom interviews with head coach Dino Babers and select players while also providing film from the Ensley Athletic Center. With “Camp Notes,” The Daily Orange’s beat reporters bring the latest news, observations and analysis as the Orange gear up for an unprecedented 2020 season. Follow along here and on Twitter.

The Daily Orange is a nonprofit newsroom that receives no funding from Syracuse University. Consider donating today to support our mission.

Less than a month before Syracuse football is scheduled to take the field for its first game at North Carolina, head coach Dino Babers still doesn’t know which of his players will be playing this season and which will opt-out.

The Orange have had only one player, redshirt freshman defensive lineman Cooper Dawson, opt-out so far. But Babers has said on numerous occasions that multiple players are still “on the fence.” He’s not sure who will be available, though quarterback Tommy DeVito, fullback and tight end Chris Elmore, defensive back Andre Cisco and offensive lineman Airon Servais have all said they intend to play the 2020 season, if it happens.

“From a teammate standpoint, all I can do is respect their decision, listen to what they have to say, listen to their reasons,” Elmore said on teammates potentially opting-out. “They’re making decisions as grown men, what they feel is best for them and their family and their future.”

c7e9ce11-fc68-4ce1-b49c-10264993d91d-large16x9_UntitledSequence.03.jpg

Commentary: Why Dino Babers is the perfect leader for SU Football in trying times (cnycentral.com; Tamurian)

When it comes to a global pandemic, the likes of which we haven't seen in over 100 years there can be a lot of uncertainty. There will be nervous, anxious and downright upsetting times for everyone.

Now consider what college athletes are about to do.

In less than a month, football players at Syracuse and across the ACC, SEC and Big 12 will be either deep in camp or in the case of the ACC, starting their season.

For the Orange, Dino Babers is the perfect presence to guide the program.

In such unprecedented times, calm wisdom and leadership is at a premium. Dino provides it.

What the entire nation sees is the fire behind those pre-game speeches, the exciting offense and winning ways.

But just talk to Babers even once and you see the traits that will help the young men that are a part of his program get through for as long as there's a football season in 2020.

Syracuse in constant contact with priority target Umari Hatcher (247sports.com; McAllister)

One of Syracuse football's top targets in the 2021 class is three star Woodbridge (VA) Freedom wide receiver Umari Hatcher. Hatcher also holds offers from East Carolina, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan State, North Carolina, Penn State, Temple, Virginia and Virginia Tech, among others. Syracuse offered back in February, and have remained in contact on a regular basis ever since.

"The coaching staff that reaches out to me are the receiver's coach (Reno Ferri) and the head coach (Dino Babers)," Hatcher said. "They text me every day. They call every other day. They tell me about the school, academics and stuff like that."

The Syracuse offense has had extremely productive receivers each year of the Dino Babers era. Could Hatcher be the next in that line? He already sees a great fit between his skill set and the Orange offense.

"It makes it good," Hatcher said. "Everything's good about it. It makes me want to go there more. I watched some of their film, and when I was watching their film, I have seen a lot of routes that I run. So it just fits in with what I like to do. They play the kind of game I like to play."

Syracuse head coach Dino Babers taking such an active role in the Orange's pursuit of Hatcher shows how high he is on their recruiting board. Hatcher has taken notice.

"It means a lot to me," Hatcher said. "It means they really want me there. They want me to really go there because the head coach is talking to me a lot. It means a lot to me."

Hatcher is one of Syracuse's top targets regardless of position. He is high on their recruiting board, and the interest is mutual.

"They're high on the list," Hatcher said.

He added that Michigan State and Penn State are among the other schools recruiting him hard right now. When it comes to a final decision, Hatcher says he is taking it step by step but is moving forward in the recruiting process. So when could that decision come? That depends on whether or not he has a senior season.

College football: Syracuse University practices in pads ahead of ACC opener (VIDEO) (nny360.com; St Croix)

The Syracuse University football team returned to the field over the weekend, continuing its turbulent path toward its Atlantic Coast Conference season opener in less than four weeks.

The Orange resumed preseason training camp Saturday and held its first session in full pads Sunday at Schwartzwalder and Katz practice fields after players sat out practice earlier in the week for the second time since camp opened Aug. 6 due to COVID-19 testing concerns.

Syracuse fifth-year head coach Dino Babers addressed the media via Zoom on Monday afternoon and confirmed that the Orange’s second halt to practice was due to confusion over the start of weekly COVID-19 testing, echoing a statement released by SU athletic director John Wildhack last Friday.
The team has shifted to weekly testing for the remainder of training camp and will test three times per week during the regular season, both increases from initial plans as a result of the latest player-led practice pause.

“They called us on it, they were right, and we stopped practice and until we got everybody tested clean, we weren’t going to start practice again because that’s what we agreed to,” Babers said.

“We dropped the ball and they were right, and we froze practice until we cleaned it up,” he added. “Since that point, practice has been running really well. The guys have been active at practice and doing their part while they’re out there, and hopefully we’re going to continue to have a lot more practices like that.”

Syracuse is scheduled to kick off the upcoming season Sept. 12 at North Carolina.

To begin what is shaping up to be another whirlwind week of camp for the Orange, UNC announced Monday that it is shifting all undergraduate courses to remote learning less than a week after starting classes due to a spike on campus. The positivity rate on campus jumped from 2.8 to 13.6 percent in the past week, according to the reports.

Orange Watch: Syracuse's Kent Syverud should take charge with ACC football - The Juice Online (the juice; Bierman)

Item: Stubbornly, the ACC, SEC, and Big 12 among the Power 5 conferences, the AAC, Conference USA, and Sunbelt among the Group of 5 conferences, and three independents (Army West Point, BYU, and scheduled ‘Cuse foe Liberty) are clinging to hope of pulling off the 2020 college football season during the midst of the months-long pandemic. With counterparts in the Big Ten and Pac-12 taking the advice of their health experts and declining the major risk of future potential medical incidents involving the well-being and safety of athletes in those programs, the decision, although painful to the players, needs to be made sooner than later. With the balance of health and safety versus the potential loss of major revenue, it takes leadership to bring sensibility to such a major decision.

Mistakes and miscommunications are common in all industries, and that was disturbingly illustrated in national news stories this past week involving SU.

For the third time in pre-season camp, the Orange football team opted out of practicing last Friday, seeking clarification of communications regarding Covid-19 testing protocols, specifically when weekly testing would commence during camp, and how often players would be tested if the ACC season comes to fruition the week of Sept. 7 (the ACC will test three times per week).

Then this past weekend came word that the university’s admissions department blundered in inadvertently sending out dozens of emails congratulating prospective students for being accepted by the university, citing a technical glitch for the embarrassing error.

Although he was not directly responsible for either unfortunate incident, Kent Syverud oversees the work of athletic director John Wildhack and dean of admissions Maurice Harris. When all is said and done the “buck” stops with him, that’s why he’s paid handsomely with a total compensation package close to $1,100,000 according to the most recently released IRS filings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...col-is-deeply-troubling-an-upcoming-opponent/ (washingtonpost.com; Wang)

With the ACC football season on track to start in a little more than three weeks amid the novel coronavirus pandemic, Syracuse Athletic Director John Wildhack voiced his displeasure with the description of the testing protocol at Liberty, which faces the Orange on Oct. 17.

Wildhack’s comments came after the News & Advance in Lynchburg, Va., where Liberty is located, reported Flames Coach Hugh Freeze indicated the team has not had a positive case in three weeks, with the screenings over the past two weeks not requiring tests because players weren’t showing symptoms.

Approximately 40 percent of infections are asymptomatic, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and those individuals may be unknowingly sickening others by spreading the virus that causes the potentially fatal disease covid-19.
AD

“Coach Freeze’s comments describing Liberty’s inadequate approach to covid-19 testing are deeply troubling and pose a threat to the health and well-being of our student-athletes,” Wildhack told ESPN on Saturday, with his remarks later provided to Syracuse.com. “The ACC has very clear testing protocols in place that all scheduled nonconference opponents must adhere to. Syracuse athletics refuses to put the members of our football program or our campus community in a position that could potentially compromise the rigorous public health and safety strategy we have put into place.”

North Carolina football unaffected by school's move to online-only classes (usatoday.com; Gardner)

The University of North Carolina's abrupt switch from in-person to online classes -- just one week after welcoming students back to campus -- does not affect the school's plans to play football this fall.

The UNC athletics department issued a statement Monday evening saying that "student-athletes may continue to attend online classes and may choose to remain in their current on- or off-campus residences" while they prepare for the upcoming football season.

"We are still expecting to play this fall, and we will continue to evaluate the situation in coordination with the University, the ACC, state and local officials, and health officials," the statement said.

The university has experienced at least four clusters of outbreaks of COVID-19 since the Chapel Hill campus started courses in person on August 10. But after 130 reported cases cropped up in the past week, the university reversed course.

The outbreak not only raises concerns for football players going through the various team meetings and practices, but the coaching staff as well.

“I’m in that experienced age group that they talk about,” head coach Mack Brown, who will turn 69 in 10 days, recently told USA TODAY Sports. “I’m one of those that’s going way beyond what a risk would be to try and make sure that I’m safe as possible.”

2020 ACC FB Schedule: Bye Analysis (cardiachill.com; HM)

When the ACC came up with the 2020 football schedule version 2.0, every team was supposed to get two bye weeks while playing an 11-game season. However, now some non-conference cancellations have, in effect, resulted in extra byes for certain teams which may end up playing 10 games instead of 11. This of course creates an non-level playing field, but the question remains which teams benefit?

To answer that, let’s first take a look at the byes as they stand today:

Which opponents each team plays after its byes
Has Byes Before Opponent1 Opponent2 Opponent3

Boston CollegeDuke*N CarolinaLouisville
ClemsonVirginiaFlorida State
DukeVa TechCharlotte
Florida StateMiami*Notre DamePitt
Georgia TechLouisvillePitt
LouisvilleGa TechSyracuse
MiamiClemsonNC State
North CarolinaB.C.Notre Dame
NC StatePittMiami
Notre DameWake Forest*Florida StateN Carolina
PittSyracuse*Florida StateACCCG
SyracuseDukeLouisville
VirginiaVa Tech*ClemsonFlorida State
Virginia TechDukeClemson
Wake ForestVirginia*N Carolina
* byes created by cancelled games are marked with an asterisk

Clemson football: Next 10 days will decide if Tigers play in 2020 (rubbingtherock.com; Benedict)

Clemson football is scheduled to kickoff versus Wake Forest on September 12th.

The next 10 days will decide whether or not Clemson football and the ACC, in general, are going to have a college football season.

Why are the next 10 days so important?

Well, because students are back on campuses this week across the ACC and if positive COVID cases see a dramatic rise, you can expect the ACC to take the same route that the Pac-12 and Big Ten did and cancel college football season.

Be clear, no one at this website is rooting for this – it is just the opposite but optics matter to college Presidents and medical health professionals and if you see an abundance of positive clusters popping up with 15,000 to 30,000 students back on campuses across the conference, they will cancel the season.

As we saw back in late June and early July when athletes returned to campuses, there was an increase of positive cases. We should note that no schools released any contextual information such as whether those that tested positive were asymptomatic or actually sick, whether any of them were hospitalized with severe cases or whether any of those that initially tested positive had an immediate follow-up test to confirm the original results or if they were another case of a false positive – which we have seen in athletes like Matthew Stafford or NASCAR driver Jimmy Johnson.

COVID cases already popping up around the ACC

Over the weekend, a UNC website published an article stating that three different COVID-19 clusters had already popped up on campus as students came back. Two of them were on campus in student housing facilities and the third was at a fraternity house off-campus.

Why the B1G/Pac Care if the P3 Play FB (RX; HM)

Why the B1G/Pac Care if the P3 Play FB

We already discussed how the Big Ten tried - and failed - to lead all five power conferences to cancel football this Fall [LINK]. Since announcing that they have cancelled Fall sports, the Big Ten, Pac-12, and the Big Ten's mouthpiece - the NCAA - has been critical of the three power conferences which haven't cancelled football. I get that they may think those leagues will fail - time will tell anyway - but why do I get the feeling they are pressuring the P3 to cancel football? Could there be another motive at work here - one which may have nothing to do with right, wrong, or player safety? Yes, there certainly could be...

Of course, I'm talking money.

In his article "ESPN and Fox owed the Pac-12 hundreds of millions for the 2020 football season: Will they pay?" Jon Wilner of the Mercury News writes that the Pac-12 stands to lose $276.4 million in media rights fees from ESPN and Fox in the 2020-21 college sports cycle if there are no sports for an entire year, or potentially 80% of that amount if there is no Pac-12 football.

Wilner writes that the Pac-12 - and its ally, the Big Ten - are negotiating to get some or all of that money even if they aren't able to play football. Ah, that word "able" - that could be a problem if the ACC, SEC and Big XII do play. How can the other two power conferences claim they were not able when three of five actually do it? So that's the first reason they don't want the P3 to succeed.

Notre Dame warming up to ACC Football? (RX; HM)

Notre Dame warming up to ACC Football?

From UHND.com:

Notre Dame Football Players “Excited” About Chance to Play For A Conference Championship

It sounds like Irish players are excited about the prospect of chasing the ACC conference crown...

If there is a football season this fall, Notre Dame will have the opportunity to play for a conference championship for the first time in the storied history of the program thanks to its one year fling with the ACC. That opportunity has Notre Dame football players excited about the rare opportunity according to Brian Kelly.

“It’s never been part of our goals since this is the first time so we didn’t have a column on the goal chart. We’d have to go back and redo it,” Kelly joked yesterday. “Our players are excited, quite honestly, that they get a chance to play for a championship – an ACC Championship. For the ACC to allow us that opportunity – they’re excited about it,” he added. [note: I added the italics - Hokie Mark]
This is exactly what I predicted would happen back on August 4th - see "ACC and Notre Dame 2020: Almost Pregnant".

Coleman released by hometown team: ‘Life isn’t always like the fairytales' (PS; $; Mink)

Former Syracuse defensive end Kendall Coleman has been released from the Indianapolis Colts, the team announced Sunday.

Coleman was cut as part of a corresponding roster move to bring in free agent cornerback Tremon Smith.

An Indianapolis native who attended Cathedral High School, Coleman had signed with his hometown NFL team after going undrafted last April. He also spent time working out with former Colts great Robert Mathis leading up to the draft.

Coleman reacted to the news on Sunday afternoon, writing on Twitter: “Life isn’t always like the fairytales, and that’s okay. My story doesn’t end here. I’m still living the dream, just working my way to the best part!”

Life isn't always like the fairytales, and that's okay. My story doesn't end here. I'm still living the dream, just working my way to the best part!

— KC (@KendallColeman_) August 16, 2020

Paul Finebaum Reveals If He Thinks ACC/Big 12/SEC Will Cancel (thespun.com; Holleran)

The Big Ten and the Pac-12 postponed their fall college football seasons last week. The three other Power 5 conferences, the ACC, Big 12 and SEC, have yet to make a similar decision.

Right now, those three conferences are still pushing toward a fall season. The SEC will release its 2020 fall schedule this evening.

What are the odds of the ACC, Big 12 and SEC pulling the plug?

ESPN college football analyst Paul Finebaum doesn’t see it happening. The longtime college football analyst thinks the Big Ten’s PR “nightmare” is partly to thank for that.

“This may give adrenaline to the other three conferences to move forward without being as careful as they need to be,” Finebaum said. “I know that sounds like a major statement, but they feel it. If you’re the Big 12, the ACC or the SEC, you’re feeling that you’re doing something great right now by playing college football, which may not be great at all. But the odds of any of those three backing down before we get closer to September 26 right now, I think, is very small because of the Big Ten’s PR nightmare.”

The Big Ten has been criticized by its players, coaches and fans for postponing the season when they did. A petition started by Justin Fields has more than 200,000 signatures in 24 hours.

“This is a public relations nightmare for the Big Ten. And they did it to themselves,” Finebaum said, per 247Sports. “They announced the schedule and came right back and canceled. And the biggest problem the Big Ten has had is they didn’t explain their reasoning. Kevin Warren has done one interview, one major television interview, with the Big Ten Network and quite frankly, it was embarrassing.

Other

MMKNLA4W7BFBLLIRYLCX4OSGEU.jpg

Pandemic will hit Syracuse’s wallet harder than almost any city in America (PS; $;
Baker)

Few other cities in the nation will suffer as big a financial blow as Syracuse in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a new analysis.

Syracuse ranks third among 150 cities whose budgets will be most impacted by the shutdown, behind only Buffalo and Rochester, according to a report Monday from the New York Times.

The Times report is based on an analysis from two researchers at Georgia State University and one at the University of Wisconsin. The three academics studied the economic impacts of the Covid-19 shutdown on 150 U.S. cities. Their findings will soon be published in the National Tax Journal, according to the Times.

The Times report says the most vulnerable cities, like Syracuse and Rochester, are very likely to shrink in the aftermath of the pandemic.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Finebaum snippet. I normally pay him no attention, but I will say he has an interesting take on why the ACC/SEC/BigXII won't be quick to cancel fooball now that they've seen the B1G's PR nightmare...