Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
original-1947-area-codes.png

Welcome to Area Code Day!

Area Code Day celebrates the numbers that precede a normal seven digit phone number, which were devised in the 1940's by AT&T for the Bell System, and came into full implementation with the creation of the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) in 1947. Most countries in North America are part of the NANP, and different service areas are divided into numbering plan areas. The number prefix that each area has is called the numbering plan area code, or area code, for short. Initially the first number of the three digit code could be 2 through 9, the second digit had to be a 0 or 1, and the third digit could be any number, although none ended in 0 until the toll-free code 800 was introduced. In 1995 it was changed so that the center digit could be any number but 9. Area codes are often preceded by the national access code, which is 1 in the United States, and 0 in many other countries. It is unclear why November 10 was chosen as the celebration of the day. In a sense, by celebrating area codes, Area Code Day is also celebrating the ability to call long distances, and not just to those in your immediate area.

SU News

Film review: A close look at JaCobian Morgan’s first start (DO; Dabbundo)

As Syracuse began its pregame warmups ahead of its battle with Boston College on Saturday, the Orange were onto their third quarterback of the season. Tommy DeVito and Rex Culpepper were injured, and head coach Dino Babers turned to freshman quarterback JaCobian Morgan for his first start.

A week prior, Morgan completed all seven of his pass attempts and threw his first career touchdown. He led the Orange downfield and generated offense outside of the game script.

Morgan finished 19-of-30 with 188 yards, one touchdown and one interception in Syracuse’s (1-7, 1-6 Atlantic Coast) 16-13 loss to Boston College (5-3, 4-3) in the Carrier Dome on Saturday. After the game, Babers said Morgan had done enough in the game to earn a start on Nov. 20 at Louisville, which is the Orange’s next game after the bye week.

Here’s a closer look at some of the plays that defined Morgan’s first career start:

Morgan escapes the pocket and finds Anthony Queeley for a big gain

1.png

The Orange faced a 2nd-and-10 from their own 17-yard-line on the second drive of the game. Since the graduation of Eric Dungey, the Orange’s offense has lacked a playmaker who can extend plays and generate extra offense outside of the scripted play. On one of Morgan’s best plays, he faced a collapsing pocket.

Even though Morgan momentarily stops looking downfield, he’s able to escape to his right. Immediately, his eyes turn back up the field. He uses his left arm to signal to Queeley to go deep, and that’s exactly what Queeley does.

Syracuse Football: 2021 class helps address biggest recruiting needs (itlh; Adler)

A recruiting analyst says that the Syracuse football 2021 class is focused on the team’s most important recruiting needs.

Syracuse football is in the midst of an abysmal 2020 season in which it may only win one game, and there are a lot of reasons why this is transpiring.

The novel coronavirus pandemic shut down spring ball, and limited summer work-outs as well as fall camp, which certainly made things more challenging for an Orange team with first-year offensive and defensive coordinators. In all fairness, though, every college football squad has had to deal with these obstacles in one way or another.

The ‘Cuse has gotten decimated by injuries and opt-outs amid the pandemic, and two components of the team’s roster under particular stress are the quarterback position as well as the offensive line.

Adam Friedman, a recruiting analyst with , recently published an article where he examined the 2021 classes of all Atlantic Coast Conference members, and how well they have fared as it pertains to meeting their specific needs.

Friedman noted that the Orange’s biggest recruiting needs are on the offensive line and at quarterback, and he says that the ‘Cuse 2021 class is making progress toward addressing those needs.

Syracuse Football: A few bright spots in three-point loss to Boston College (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football often has gotten blown out in its 2020 defeats, but it hung tough with the Eagles.
Syracuse football fans often tell me that there is no moral victory when the team loses, and I tend to agree with that sort of statement. However, amid a disastrous fall term for our beloved Orange, I am really trying to possess some optimism.

The ‘Cuse (1-7) is potentially heading toward a one-win season, and that’s a total bummer. The squad has three Atlantic Coast Conference contests remaining within its 2020 schedule.

After a bye week next weekend, Syracuse football is at Louisville, then hosts N.C. State and, finally, wraps up the fall stanza at Notre Dame.

Those Fighting Irish, by the way, just knocked off No. 1 Clemson in double overtime, in one of the most entertaining affairs across college football to date this season.

Speaking of the Tigers, Boston College nearly upset them a week ago, ultimately falling by a half-dozen points. So when the Eagles arrived on the Hill this past Saturday afternoon, favored by around two touchdowns, I figured that the Orange would get crushed pretty darn good.

My assumption proved incorrect. Yes, the ‘Cuse racked up another ACC bout in the loss column, succumbing to its opponent, 16-13. But BC is a really solid squad, with a current record of 5-3, and if not for two-consecutive turnovers on offense in the fourth quarter, Syracuse football truly had a legit chance to stun the Eagles.

The Eagles earned a grind-it-out win over rival Syracuse at the Carrier Dome (Nov. 7, 2020).

‎'Cuse Militia Podcast: Ty Thoughts- S1 E7: Twitter will Disagree! on Apple Podcasts (Apple.com; podcast; Cuse Militia)

What's up Cuse Nation?!?! Here are Tylers latest thoughts!

Peel it Back Ep. 8 (SI; podcast; Davis)

Hello and welcome back to Peel it Back! We have a lot to dive into today and I hope you enjoy this episode! We get into Syracuse football, the NFL, a little bit of basketball and of course what everybody what glued to this entire week.

First we wanted to congratulate Joe Biden on winning the presidential election and becoming the president elect. As a Syracuse alumni we are very interested to see what will become of his term as president. Maya also has one request for Mr. Biden and maybe you all can help her with that.

Pat Narduzzi rips Notre Dame for ACC membership status (247sports.com; Gates)

For the first time in school history, Notre Dame is playing a college football season in a conference, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to stay that way after the 2020 season. That is a decision that doesn’t sit well with Pittsburgh coach Pat Narduzzi, who thinks the Fighting Irish either need to remain full members of the ACC, or stop scheduling games with opponents from the league.

“I hope they do (join the league fully). To me, it’s either you play with us or you don’t play with us,” Narduzzi said, according to John McGonigal of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “You know? You’d almost like to boycott them. But if you want to play in the ACC, come play in the ACC. I’m not the commissioner. So that’s John Swofford’s job to help out there. But to me, it’s either play or don’t play. And if you don’t want to play, let’s not give them five games. Let them go play BYU or whoever else they want to play. We shouldn’t be giving them games. But they’re talented, and we’d love to have them in the ACC for sure.”

Every ACC college football game reviewed: Week 10 (247sports.com; Elliott)

Every game reviewed is my attempt to provide a synopsis of what fans of college football need to know about each game via some short form notes gleaned from either watching the game or drilling down into the box score. These are the actual notes I keep on teams for handicapping, podcasting, and writing purposes. I am only concerned with what happens before garbage time sets in.

I start with the final score and work my way back through the performance until it makes sense. This means looking into things like removing garbage time, considering field position, and figuring out why a team got outgained yet lost. It’s about as deep of a dive as can be made while attempting to get to every game played over a weekend.

I try not to make broad sweeping conclusions based on a single game. But I will point out concerns which could be valid after a sample set of just one game. If you saw something I missed, please let me know in the comment section.

Results of 6-Day Holds - 2020 Week 11 (RX; HM)

Results of 6-Day Holds - 2020 Week 11

Last week we were told that the following games were on "six-day hold":
Notre Dame at Boston College - 12pm/3:30pm ABC, 12pm ESPN2, or 12pm/4pm ACCN
Miami (FL) at Virginia Tech - 12pm/3:30pm ABC, 12pm ESPN2, or 12pm/4pm ACCN
TCU at West Virginia - 12pm/4pm/8pm ET on FOX
USC at Arizona - 12pm/4pm/8pm FOX, 3:30pm ABC, or 10:30pm ESPN2
California at Arizona State - 12pm/4pm/8pm FOX, 3:30pm ABC, or 10:30pm ESPN2
Oregon at Washington State - 12pm/4pm/8pm FOX, 3:30pm ABC, or 10:30pm ESPN2
In addition, the tv network was up in the air for
12pm ABC or ESPN2: Indiana at Michigan State
12pm ESPN2 or ACCN: Wake Forest at North Carolina

OT: Unhappy Valley 2020 (RX; HM)

OT: Unhappy Valley 2020

The Penn State Nittany Lions entered the 2020 season with much hype and high expectations. Now, they're just looking for a win; here are the results of their first three games:

Penn State 35, Indiana 36
Ohio State 38, Penn State 25
Maryland 35, Penn State 19

Plenty of people figured they might lose to Ohio State, but I don't think anybody thought an 0-3 start was even possible.

Here are a few excerpts from "Why big-time college football programs Georgia, Michigan and Penn State are struggling" on ESPN+:

We never got to see the Penn State we expected to see this season. Micah Parsons, the best Swiss Army Knife in college football -- a player who legitimately could have been Penn State's best defensive end, linebacker and nickel safety this season -- opted out during August's pandemic uncertainty. Running back Journey Brown, by far the Nittany Lions' most proven offensive player, was sidelined by an unspecified medical condition. On the first drive of the season, PSU's new top back, Noah Cain, injured his foot and was lost for the year.

Other

PPTSPFDNGBANLEMVSX5HHGS33I.jpg

Pfizer coronavirus vaccine: Syracuse doc has key role in rollout of eagerly awaited drug (PS; Mulder)

A Syracuse doctor is playing a pivotal role in drugmaker Pfizer’s development of a coronavirus vaccine which early data suggests could be a blockbuster.

Dr. Stephen Thomas of Upstate Medical University is the chief investigator worldwide in Pfizer’s clinical study of the experimental drug. Pfizer announced Monday preliminary study findings show the vaccine is more than 90% effective, much better than expected.

Thomas, Upstate’s chief of infectious diseases, said he was “incredibly happy” to learn how well the vaccine performed. But he said the study is far from over and there are still many questions related to safety and other issues that must by answered.

“With lots of bad Covid news out there, this is a little bit of light in an otherwise bleak landscape,” Thomas said.

Pfizer officials said they expect to ask the FDA later this month for emergency use authorization to release the vaccine. If evidence strongly suggests patients would benefit from the vaccine, the FDA can provide that authorization before it has all the evidence to prove the drug’s effectiveness and safety.

Pat Narduzzi rips Notre Dame for ACC membership status (247sports.com; Gates)

For the first time in school history, Notre Dame is playing a college football season in a conference, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to stay that way after the 2020 season. That is a decision that doesn’t sit well with Pittsburgh coach Pat Narduzzi, who thinks the Fighting Irish either need to remain full members of the ACC, or stop scheduling games with opponents from the league.

“I hope they do (join the league fully). To me, it’s either you play with us or you don’t play with us,” Narduzzi said, according to John McGonigal of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “You know? You’d almost like to boycott them. But if you want to play in the ACC, come play in the ACC. I’m not the commissioner. So that’s John Swofford’s job to help out there. But to me, it’s either play or don’t play. And if you don’t want to play, let’s not give them five games. Let them go play BYU or whoever else they want to play. We shouldn’t be giving them games. But they’re talented, and we’d love to have them in the ACC for sure.”
Narduzzi probably shouldn't draw so much attention to himself with that record of his...

Narduzzi probably shouldn't draw so much attention to himself with that record of his...
Sorry, but I have to disagree on this one. I've hated ND since the early 60s when they stole a victory from us. But there are so many reasons to hate them, and not being a full member of the conference is at the top of the list, not to mention the contract they have with NBC that no other school in the NCAA has. Most recently, there is the Supreme Court disaster!

Sorry, but I have to disagree on this one. I've hated ND since the early 60s when they stole a victory from us. But there are so many reasons to hate them, and not being a full member of the conference is at the top of the list, not to mention the contract they have with NBC that no other school in the NCAA has. Most recently, there is the Supreme Court disaster!

See, it has more weight coming from you than it does from the Nard-dog.