Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
FWOMPPZQ65CYVFSW5ZOGZ62EUY.jpg
Welcome to National Rubber Ducky Day!

According to Sesame Street's calendar, January 13 marks the birthday of Rubber Duckie, the bathtub toy of Ernie. The day has since become celebrated as Rubber Ducky Day. Rubber Duckie first appeared on Sesame Street Episode 0078, on February 25, 1970; Ernie was in a bathtub in a room that resembled his living room, and sang the song, "Rubber Duckie." The most popular version of the song was sung by Ernie in Episode 0136, on November 16, 1970. This time he was in a bathroom with a plain blue background. Jim Henson was the real voice behind the song, and it went to #16 on the Billboard "Hot 100 Singles" chart in 1970 as well. Ernie, either by himself or with other characters, has sung other songs about his rubber duckie such as "Put Down the Duckie," "D-U-C-K-I-E," and "Do De Rubber Duck."

Rubber toys first appeared in the late 1800s, as the rubber industry began to grow. The first rubber ducks were not intended to float, but were instead made to be chew toys. A patent for a "Hollow rubber toy" was filed in 1925 and granted in 1928; it included a picture of a floating duck. Peter Ganine made a sculpture of a duck and then patented it. He filed for his patent in 1947 and received it two years later. Over 50 million of the ducks were sold. By the late 1940s rubber duckies were popular, but Ernie's "Rubber Duckie" song increased their popularity even more a few decades later.

SU News

5ff8dc22c0386.image.jpg

Wayzata's Magnuson will play college football for Syracuse (hometownsource.com; Sherman)

When Tyler Magnuson first became a Wayzata High varsity football player as a sophomore, head coach Lambert Brown noticed right away that he was more than just a big body.

True, he has tremendous size, especially now that he’s a senior at 6-6 and 270 pounds. But even as a sophomore, Magnuson had all of the intangibles - football instincts, quick feet, broad shoulders and an aggressive nature that has served him well.

Syracuse University saw all of those qualities, and Magnuson will join the Orange as an NCAA Division I scholarship player next season.

Magnuson talked about the recruiting process in an interview last week.

“After I committed to Syracuse, other coaches stopped calling me,” Magnuson said. “There was a good vibe at Syracuse - a family atmosphere that reminded me of how our team is at Wayzata. Syracuse is a historic program. Jim Brown played there. I was grateful to get an offer to play there.”

Magnuson will officially sign a national letter of intent in the spring. Until then, he will spend time becoming even stronger than he is now.

In his junior season, Magnuson first began getting major-college interest. He played right tackle alongside senior right guard Graham Viggers, and they graded the road to the end zone for star halfback Christian Vasser, who scored five touchdowns and ran for 285 yards on 49 carries in a 35-20 Prep Bowl victory over Champlin Park.

“Graham and I loved blocking for Christian,” Magnuson said. “We got on top of our guys and watched him run by.”

The magnitude of winning the state Class 6A championship was overwhelming for everyone on the Wayzata team - from Vasser to the outside backs on the kick-off team. And the electricity of playing on a pro field at U.S. Bank Stadium was unforgettable, Magnuson assured.

“It was a great feeling of accomplishment walking off the field that night,” Magnuson said. “We finished the season undefeated [13-0].”

This year didn’t go quite as well for Wayzata, which finished 3-5 (counting a forfeit win over Burnsville in sectionals). Burnsville had a COVID-19 outbreak that forced the team to cancel out of the playoff opener. Wayzata then played Blaine for the section title and lost a 42-28 decision on Blaine’s home field.

Syracuse Football Club member Jim DaRin talks about his struggles and triumphs after the Syracuse University football player's promising career was cut short by a crippling accident that left him, quadriplegic, almost five decades ago.

Tennessee’s Ty Chandler transferring to North Carolina (wnct.com; AP)

Running back Ty Chandler is transferring to North Carolina for his final season of eligibility after graduating from Tennessee.

North Carolina announced Chandler’s decision Tuesday. Chandler also announced his decision on Twitter, thanking Tennessee but saying he looks forward to a special season in Chapel Hill.

The Tar Heels just lost a pair of 1,000-yard rushers in Javonte Williams and Michael Carter. A native of Nashville, Tennessee, Chandler ranked fifth all-time at Tennessee with 3,291 all-purpose yards in 46 games. He also averaged 4.9 yards per carry with 2,046 yards rushing.

Louisville football early preseason praise is questionable (BRL; Owens)

A national college football reporter has given Louisville football some early preseason love.

It was a disaster season for Louisville football in 2020 after the program earned a lot of praise in the preseason. In what was considered to be a “throw away” year for many programs throughout the college football landscape, Louisville was champing at the bit to include themselves in that discussion.

The Cardinals finished 4-7 overall on the year and won just three ACC games after certain outlets had projected them to be dark horse ACC contenders to compete with Clemson. They fell way short of that mark and were very fortunate to avoid the College Football Playoff participants.

Despite their sputtering season, Brett McMurphy, a national college football reporter for Stadium, believes the Cardinals will be much improved in 2021.

2020 is thankfully done so here’s my Way-Too-Early Top 25 2021 rankings for @Stadium 1-Ohio State, 2-Alabama, 3-Georgia, 4-OU, 5-Clemson, 6-Texas A&M, 7-Iowa State, 8-Texas, 9-UNC, 10-Penn State Brett McMurphy’s Top 25 College Football Rankings for 2021 - Stadium
— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) January 12, 2021
No – the Cardinals are not ranked No. 1 in the nation despite what you may have been hoping for. In fact, they’re not in McMurphy’s Top 25 either. But they did land in his “top 40 teams” grouping where they were the sixth team listed following the list of 25.

Virginia Tech football: Former Texas A&M QB Connor Blumrick is a Hokie (gobblercountry.com; Manning)

For the second time in two days, Virginia Tech has added a veteran from the NCAA transfer portal.

On Monday, the Hokies picked up a big-time player in former Clemson defensive tackle Jordan Williams, which could pay off in 2021 and beyond for Virginia Tech.

On Tuesday, Virginia Tech picked up former Texas A&M quarterback Connor Blumrick.

Now, if you’ve never heard of that name before, it’s understandable. Blumrick didn’t play much in his four years in College Station. He redshirted in 2017 and was A&M’s third-string quarterback in 2018, seeing limited duty.

In 2019, Blumrick moved to running back out of necessity due to injuries and transfer. At 6-foot-5, 215 pounds, Blumrick wasn’t your average running back. He carried the ball seven times for 28 yards in 2019.

Other

6IMK5DRFANHI7NQJMV34F3Q4FU.JPG

‘Gomez & Lisa’ co-host leaving Syracuse radio show after 16 years (PS; $; Herbert)

‘Gomez & Lisa’ co-host leaving Syracuse radio show after 16 years - syracuse.com
“Gomez & Lisa” co-host Lisa Chelenza is leaving the Syracuse radio show after 16 years, she announced Monday.

“After much soul searching following the death of my father and news of more grandchildren on the way it is with gratitude and sorrow that I will be leaving the Gomez & Lisa morning show on TK99 at the end of this week,” Chelenza wrote on Facebook.

Chelenza said it was her choice to leave, but it wasn’t an easy one to make.

“How do you say good-bye to sixteen years in radio along-side talented broadcast professionals, filled with amazing experiences and remarkable moments?” she wrote. “A career filled with meeting and interviewing rock stars from Joan Jett to Eddie Money, Bret Michaels, Alice Cooper and Cheap Trick, just to name a few, cool pre show soundchecks and backstage access. A career where every day I wake up and head into the studio with my sweet, funny, generous broadcast partner Gomez and a long list of creative and smart producers keeping us on track...”

“This past decade and a half has flown by in the blink of an eye and I wouldn’t change a thing. I feel so fortunate to have spent these years at Galaxy Media with people who have become my second family. Through good times and more challenging times we made it together.”