Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
FEB02-NATIONAL-CHILI-DAY-768x402.png
Welcome to National Chili Day!

There are a few stories as to how chili got its start, but all point to it originating in Texas. One story says that a group of settlers arrived in San Antonio from the Canary Islands as early as 1723 and made a dish reminiscent of chili with peppers, wild onions, and meat. But there is a broader consensus that chili was first described by J.C. Clopper, who wrote in 1828 about meat and peppers being stewed together by the poor of San Antonio, where he had recently visited. The word "chili" was not yet used to describe the food at the time, and was possibly first mentioned in 1857, in the book Chile Con Carne, Or, The Camp and the Field.

By the 1880s, chili stands were set up in San Antonio. Bowls of chili, which came with bread and a glass of water, were referred to as "bowls o'red" and sold by women called "chili queens." People of note like writer O. Henry and presidential candidate William Jennings Bryan partook in the dish, and Stephen Crane mentioned the chili in his writing after visiting one of the stands. In 1893, the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago had a "San Antonio Chili Stand," which brought chili to a national audience. There were chili "joints" or "parlors" around Texas by the turn of the century, and they spread around the West by the 1920s. They were often small with just a counter and a few stools. Chili powder was created by a German immigrant in New Braunfels, Texas, in 1902, which helped the dish gain in popularity in Texas and beyond.

SU News

College football: Syracuse hires Schmidt to shore up offensive line (nny360.com; St Croix)

Syracuse University football coach Dino Babers announced the addition of Mike Schmidt to his staff as offensive line coach Wednesday.

Schmidt will join the Orange after working 12 years on the staff of his alma mater, San Diego State.
He will aim to help the SU offense regain its high-octane form after a 1-10 season in which the unit finished No. 125 in the FBS for total offense at 265.3 yards per game, and 123rd in the nation with a 26.1 percent conversion rate on third downs.

SU has allowed the third-most sacks among FBS teams in each of the last two seasons, including 38 this past year.

“I’m excited to welcome Mike to the Syracuse football family,” Babers expressed in a statement on the official SU athletics website. “He has proven that he can develop players and I look forward to him bringing his knowledge and skills to our program.”
Schmidt joined the Aztecs as a graduate assistant and became the full-time offensive line coach in 2012. Over that span, San Diego State ranks 15th nationally in yards per carry (5), 15th in rushing yards per game (216.9), and is tied for 21st with 201 total touchdowns.

“I want to thank San Diego State for the last 16 years of great experiences and development,” Schmidt said. “I also want to thank coach Babers for providing me with this great opportunity.”

Schmidt has guided 15 different offensive linemen to All-Mountain West Conference honors, and three players have been selected in the NFL Draft under his guidance — Nico Siragusa (2017), Terry Poole (2015) and Keith Ismael (2020).

Syracuse football announces longtime SDSU assistant Mike Schmidt as offensive line coach (247sports.com; Bailey)

Longtime San Diego State assistant coach Mike Schmidt has officially been hired as Syracuse football's offensive line coach, SU Athletics announced on Wednesday. 247Sports previously reported Schmidt's addition last Thursday.

Schmidt will replace Mike Cavanaugh, who left earlier this year to take a similar position with Arizona State. SU head coach Dino Babers has now filled both of his assistant coach vacancies after replacing special teams coordinator/assistant head coach/outside receivers coach Justin Lustig with Terrence Samuel in January.

"I want to thank San Diego State for the last 16 years of great experiences and development," Schmidt said in a statement. "I also want to thank Coach Babers for providing me with this great opportunity at Syracuse University."

"I'm excited to welcome Mike to the Syracuse football family," Babers said in a statement. "He has proven that he can develop players and I look forward to him bringing his knowledge and skills to our program."

For the past 16 seasons, Schmidt has been a part of the SDSU program in some capacity. He started his time with the Aztecs as a walk-on defensive lineman in 2005 before switching sides of the ball and earning a scholarship during the fall of his junior year. He was named a team captain in 2008, volunteered as a student assistant the next fall while completing his undergraduate degree, and took on full-time grad assistant duties the following two seasons. In 2012, Schmidt was hired as San Diego State's offensive line coach.

Coveted Defense End Looking to Virtually Visit Syracuse (SI; McAllister)

Brockton (Mass.) Thayer Academy defensive end Samuel Okunlola has his share of collegiate opportunities. Despite it being relatively early in the 2022 recruiting cycle, he already holds nearly three dozen offers. They include Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Maryland, Nebraska, Penn State, Syracuse, Texas, Vanderbilt, West Virginia and many others.

Syracuse extended an offer in December, and has remained in contact. In fact, Okunlola spoke with Syracuse defensive line coach Vince Reynolds earlier this week.

"He just checked in with me," Okunlola said. "Mentioned academics and how he likes my workout videos. We should have a virtual visit coming up soon."

The virtual visit has not yet been officially scheduled, but Okunlola says he is aiming for Sunday.

"Looking forward to seeing the facilities, culture and learning more about the school," Okunlola said. "I've never been on campus before."

The NCAA does not allow face to face visits currently, forcing schools to use virtual visits in order to show off their program. Okunlola has been learning more and more about Syracuse, and is looking forward to continuing that education.

"I'm definitely interested in learning more about 'Cuse," Okunlola said. "They have great academics and play high level football."

Ex-SU athlete: Power of sport inspires the rare disease community (Your Letters) (PS; Long)

To the Editor:

Feb. 28 is Rare Disease Awareness Day. Before 2010, this was not a date I thought much about. But in my senior year at Syracuse University, as I was about to embark on a promising career in the NFL, my world flipped upside down.

I was diagnosed with a grade 3 anaplastic astrocytoma, a rare and aggressive brain tumor. Suddenly, I went from being the top punter in the 2010 NFL Draft Class to confronting a disease with a five-year survival rate of 15 percent.

During my 14-month journey through surgery and treatment, I became keenly aware of the heroes going to battle for me ― the rare disease researchers who work tirelessly to discover life-saving treatments and potential cures. And I learned rare disease research is limited due to the lack of financial incentive to make and market new treatments for small populations.

I am truly fortunate. I am here today because of science. And while I had to let go of my dream of playing in the NFL, I found my purpose. I serve as executive director of a nonprofit organization that inspires the rare disease community with hope through the power of sport.

Notre Dame AD reveals thoughts on ACC 'experiment' (247sports.com; Nivision)

The COVID-19 pandemic caused many changes in college football last year, and one of them was Notre Dame joining a conference in football. The Fighting Irish entered the fray in the ACC, but don’t count on that being the norm in the near future.

On Wednesday, Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick went on ‘The Paul Finebaum Show’ and was asked about his team’s experience within the ACC. Swarbrick said it was good to fully be a part of the conference for a year, but it didn’t sound like he wanted to commit to anything in the near future. However, Swarbrick did also note that the landscape of college football is rapidly shifting.

“Yeah it was great, we loved it,” Swarbrick said. “So happy that we were able to work that out with the conference, they were very accommodating. Of course we had a lot of fun with that game against Clemson. So all in all it was a great experience for us. And while we love our independence, that was a fun experiment. It’s great to have that information as we go forward…college football is gonna change dramatically in the next five years. And while we love the way we approach it today, we recognize change is coming. So to navigate that change, it was good to have that experience.”

In their only official season within the ACC, the Fighting Irish fared quite well. They defeated Clemson in the regular season before falling to the Tigers in the conference championship. From there, Notre Dame went to the College Football playoff but lost to Alabama in the semifinal.

Swarbrick also spoke about the potential of expanding the playoff to include more teams. The Notre Dame athletic director wouldn’t oppose expansion, but he doesn necessarily want all the new spots going to brand names.

Florida State Football: 3 Reasons for Optimism About the Seminoles in 2021 (athlonsports.com; Ferguson)

Year One under head coach Mike Norvell did not go the way that anyone in Tallahassee could have hoped. During a bizarre 2020 season, the Florida State Seminoles suffered through their third straight losing season, finishing 3-6.

The three wins for FSU were the fewest since 1975. For perspective's sake, that was the year prior to Bobby Bowden's arrival as head coach. The Seminoles didn't win a single road game last season but did end the year on a high note with a 56-35 victory over Duke.

Despite a dreadful campaign and uncertainty as to what will take place in 2021 as far as the pandemic is concerned, all hope is not lost in Tallahassee. Below are three reasons for optimism.

1. Transfers

Norvell finished with a top-25 class on the recruiting trail, but he also landed some impressive additions via the transfer portal. The most notable is former UCF quarterback McKenzie Milton. Milton suffered a gruesome leg injury late in the 2018 season, but if he can return to form, can be the best quarterback for FSU since Jameis Winston. Now 23 years old, the Hawaii native was a two-time Offensive Player of the Year in the American Athletic Conference and was 23-0 as a starter in 2017 and '18. For his career, he has nearly 10,000 total yards and 92 total touchdowns to his name.

Best non-SEC, non-B1G Conference? (RX; HM)

Best non-SEC, non-B1G Conference?

What if you wanted to take the teams which are not currently in either the SEC or the Big Ten and cobble them into the best possible power conference of what remains? Ironically, I got this idea from a Notre Dame fan - CSNBBS user (and ACCFootballRx reader/commenter) TerryD. When he was asked if the Irish were "forced" to join a conference, "which one would it be?", Terry essentially replied "none of the above", then proceeded to describe what Notre Dame mightdo...

from "Notre Dame the ACC, Big 10, and Everyone Else", TerryD wrote:

• Texas
  • Oklahoma
  • Oklahoma State
  • [Insert Texas team here]
  • Notre Dame
  • [plus as many top ACC teams as needed to dissolve the ACC].
  • [Add one or two more, if needed]
Terry suggested that Notre Dame would want to

Cut the "dead weight" from both the Big 12 and ACC and form a new ND/Texas led one from scratch.

But what would such a conference actually look like? Back in 2014, I suggested an ACC/Big XII semi-merger might look something like this for football:

14-Team Football League
  1. Boston College
  2. Clemson
  3. Florida State
  4. Georgia Tech
  5. Kansas State
  6. Miami (FL)
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Oklahoma State
  9. Pittsburgh
  10. TCU
  11. Texas
  12. Texas Tech
  13. Virginia Tech
  14. West Virginia

https://tennessee./news/commit-fit-which-acc-signees-found-the-best-situations--3 (; Farrell)

DEFENSIVE BACK

Hunter Washington (Sam Spiegelman)

1. James Williams, Miami

NATL

ST

POS

JAMES

WILLIAMS

SIGNED LOI

7/21/2020

MIAMI (FL)

6'5" | 227 LBS | S | 2021

AMERICAN HERITAGE

PLANTATION, FL

2. Hunter Washington, Florida State

NATL

ST

POS

HUNTER

WASHINGTON

SIGNED LOI

5/12/2020

FLORIDA STATE

6'0" | 175 LBS | CB | 2021

KATY

KATY, TX

3. Darian Chestnut, Syracuse

-

NATL

ST

POS

DARIAN

CHESTNUT

SIGNED LOI

8/2/2020

SYRACUSE

5'11" | 185 LBS | CB | 2021

CAMDEN

CAMDEN, NJ

4. Clinton Burton, Boston College

-

NATL

ST

POS

CLINTON

BURTON

SIGNED LOI

7/17/2020

BOSTON COLLEGE

5'11" | 180 LBS | CB | 2021

ST. FRANCES

BALTIMORE, MD

Other

WZDLA2EVYJB5HKPYLE4J7LGH7A.jpg

Upstate NY restaurant named among top 100 US places to eat in 2021 (PS; Herbert)

Yelp has named the Top 100 Places to Eat in 2021, and one Upstate New York restaurant made the list.

Frank Gourmet Hot Dogs, located in Buffalo, N.Y., ranks No. 75 on the list of U.S. restaurants. The popular joint’s menu features mouth-watering favorites like the BLT Hot Dog, the Violet Beauregarde (a hot dog with blueberry BBQ sauce, cheddar cheese and onion crunch) and the Impractical Jokers hot dog.

According to the Buffalo News, Frank’s first began as a food truck business before brothers Frank and Paul Tripi opened a brick-and-mortar location. They’ve been operating at 707 Kenmore Ave. in Tonawanda since 2018, and offer vegetarian and gluten-free food items along with their unique hot dogs.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Frank Gourmet Hot Dogs (@findfranknow)
THE JERK: Slow roasted pork rubbed with a bbq jerk seasoning and topped with a crisp cabbage slaw. Available GF with a bun substitution. https://t.co/weyjQSvC7E pic.twitter.com/aLkwwOSplD

— Frank Gourmet Hot Dogs (@FindFrankNow) February 17, 2021

“All of our hot dogs are made with local, grass-pastured meat and free of the nitrates, preservatives and artificial ingredients found in most other hot dogs,” the Frank Gourmet Hot Dogs website says. “Making hot dogs this way requires more work and skill, but we think it’s worth it.”

Only four other New York restaurants made the Yelp list, all four of which are located in the New York City area: Santo Brúklin, Caffè Panna, Glur Thai, and PLAYDATE NYC.