Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
image_handler.aspx

Welcome to Zoo Lovers Day!

Each year on April 8th, National Zoo Lovers Day encourages us to explore our local zoos. Each year millions of people visit zoos and learn about the many animals that live there. Also known as zoological parks, many of them serve as breeding centers. These facilities are relied upon when species are endangered or at risk of becoming endangered. They also provide education to the public about a broad variety of animals and their habitats.

Enjoy seeing your favorite animals swinging from the trees or splashing in the water and have a fun-filled day.

A few zoo facts:

• The Vienna Zoo is the oldest existing zoo and was opened to the public in 1765.
  • The United State’s first public zoo, Central Park Zoo, opened in 1874 in New York.
  • There are 350 zoos in the United States
  • Approximately 175 million people visit a zoo each year.
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom has had more than 9.8 million annual visitors.
  • More than 3.2 million people visit the San Diego Zoo each year.
SU News

Former Syracuse linebacker Derrell Smith debuts new TV show 'Mad Good Food' - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

Former Syracuse linebacker Derrell Smith has a new TV show, “Mad Good Food,” which premiers on Thursday at 8:30 p.m. on Tastemade.

Syracuse fans fondly remember Smith as the defensive captain of the 2010 Orange football team that won the Pinstripe Bowl against Kansas State. It was an emphatic win that announced SU had finally turned the program around, and Smith was at the center of it. He went on to have a two-year career in the NFL.

Smith later became a chef and the creator of Amazeballs, which was featured at the Barclays Center and also Smorgasburg in Brooklyn. But when the pandemic hit last year, Smith relocated to Los Angeles and began producing video content through Tastemade, a digital food and travel network, which reaches over 100 million people a month across over 200 countries.

We chatted about the origins of “Mad Good Food” on this week’s The Juice on the Cuse Podcast, presented by SNY.tv.

“I filmed three episodes with Tastemade called ‘Make This Tonight,’” Smith said. “During lunch, one of the producers came up to me and said, ‘Hey, we want to develop a new show. That was January. And then three months later we filmed (Mad Good Food) in March.”

Syracuse in Top Three for 2022 DB Greg Delaine Jr. (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse has had a lot of success with Florida prospects and talented defensive backs in recent years. One that recently picked up an offer is Forth Myers (FL) High defensive back Greg Delaine Jr.

"Syracuse just offered me the other day," Delaine said. "Syracuse, they've got a young defense. I feel like if I take my talents there, I can start my freshman year if I'm on point. Pure corner and safety too. They offered me because I'm a dominant DB. I'm strong, I can play zone, I can play safety."

Delaine is still learning about Syracuse but already has some knowledge. He knows about the recent success the Orange has had in the secondary with three players likely to be selected in the 2021 NFL Draft.

"I've done some research," Delaine said. "I know number seven (Andre Cisco) and number 14 (Garrett Williams). I met with them. We talked it up."

While Delaine has an official visit scheduled to Iowa State in June, his interest in Syracuse is very real. In fact, he has the Orange, along with Toledo and Iowa State, in his top three. Other schools that have offered include Wake Forest, Central Florida, SMU and Coastal Carolina. Wisconsin is also expressing interest.

Z6G2YPC43BETJJYB7QODR6H2S4.jpeg

Dexter’s Cole Cabana receives first Power Five football offer (mlive.com; Wickliffe)

Cole Cabana has risen up the ranks and continues to earn recognition from college football recruiters.

The Dexter sophomore running back picked up his first Power Five football offer from Syracuse of the ACC on Wednesday, increasing his number of suitors to three. Cabana announced the offer via his Twitter account.

Mid-American Conference teams Central Michigan and Akron have also extended offers to the 5-foot-11 athlete.

Cabana is listed as a 3-star according to 247Sports, which averages ratings from three different recruiting services – ESPN, Rivals and 247Sports.He also ranks as the No. 9 prospect in the state of Michigan for the 2023 class, according to the website.

As a sophomore, Cabana broke out as an all-purpose back as he rushed for a team-leading 592 yards and nine touchdowns and caught an Ann Arbor area-leading 46 passes for 468 yards and six more TDs.

Falk College’s Sport Venue and Event Management (SVEM) master’s program will host “More Than A Game,” a virtual symposium dedicated to promoting athlete mental health awareness, on April 21. Speakers include Syracuse University student-athletes as well as industry professionals.

Brittney Sykes ’17 (current WNBA player for the LA Sparks), Cam Lynch ’15 (former NFL linebacker) Morgan Alexander ’21 (women’s lacrosse), and Quincy Guerrier ’23 (men’s basketball) will serve as panelists. Additional keynote speakers include Valorie Kondos Fields (PAC 12 Women’s Gymnastics Coach of the Century), Dr. Jessica Bartley (Director of Mental Health for the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committees), Breyah Richardson (former Loyola New Orleans women’s basketball player and founder of B.R.E.A.T.H.E., an organization designed to bring mental health resources to the Black community), Matt Davidson (Founder and President of the Excellence with Integrity Institute), Resa Lovelace (Founder of RBL Theory, an organization dedicated to promoting workplace diversity and inclusivity), and Dona Rodgers (Founder of Morgan’s Message, which strives to eliminate the stigma surrounding mental health within the student-athlete community and equalize the treatment of physical and mental health in athletics).

Ranking every ACC Football stadium from worst to first (saturdayblitz.com; Lloyd)

#15: Bobby Dodd Stadium (Georgia Tech)

The stadium is very oddly shaped and fails to house even 60,000 attendants. Not to mention that, due to its surroundings, it also appears to be planted within a very unconventional area. GT’s coliseum is not bad by any means, it just so happens to be the worst of all ACC football teams.

#14: Truist Field (Wake Forest)

As a Wake fan, I love this stadium. However, I cannot ignore its flaws. What really kills any chance of Truist having a claim for the best ACC football location is both the school that owns it and how it typically holds under 32,000 fans, making it the smallest site in the Power 5. Its outside atmosphere is subpar as well.

#13: Alumni Stadium (Boston College)

There is not much good or bad to say about BC’s stadium, and that is why it finds itself ranked 13th on this list. For the most part, the coliseum is strictly rectangular and holds under 50,000 people. Just a little lame from the Eagles.

#12: Carrier Dome (Syracuse)

The stadium houses just about 50,000 and is one of very few college football stadiums to be domed, making it very unique. If only the team that plays in it had any shred of relevance in the more modern CFB era.

#11: Wallace Wade Stadium (Duke)

Small in capacity, which is virtually the sole reason for it being ranked this low, Wallace Wade has horseshoe-like formatting, which I love. It also has a predominantly woodland atmosphere on the outside; I love that as well. Once again, though, the team who inhabits the stadium sucks.

#10: Scott Stadium (Virginia)

The coliseum has a similar layout (inside and out) to Duke’s, from the horseshoe design to the woodland surroundings. However, it houses around 20,000 more fans and its tenant is a historically better program. A rather pleasant stadium, but not quite reaching any form of elite status.

UNC Football Spring Game: A closer look at the quarterbacks (keeingitheel.com; Ellis)

The 2021 edition of the University of North Carolina football season got underway on March 23rd as the team began Spring practice. The team went 8-4 in 2020 that included an Orange Bowl loss to Texas A&M. UNC football returns 18 of 22 starters from the season and 21 of 22 starters from the Orange Bowl including a recruiting class that ranked 13th in the country.

The Spring Game is scheduled for Saturday April 24 at 3:00pm and can be seen on the ACC Network.

In anticipation of the Spring Game and the Fall season, we will take a look at each position group beginning with the offense. The first offensive position that we will explore are the quarterbacks. There are currently four quarterbacks on the roster and we will take a look at each one in order based upon the projected depth chart.

You can not think about UNC football without immediately thinking of Sam Howell.

The rising junior from Indian Trail, North Carolina is a legitimate Heisman contender that is coming into his third season with lofty expectations. Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach Phil Longo has done a tremendous job in guiding Howell’s development. In his first two seasons, Howell has thrown for 7,227 yards and 68 touchdowns while throwing 14 interceptions. He also has six rushing touchdowns and two receiving touchdowns to his credit. The 2021 season should be his finest yet.

Howell’s leadership guides the rest of the team and especially the quarterback room. There are three young men waiting in the wings and they all could start on some other teams in the ACC. Mack Brown has stated that the backup quarterback position is wide open for whoever takes possession of it. The next player to take a look at is rising sophomore Jacoby Criswell. The Morrilton, Arkansas native has looked very good so far in practice with showcasing his athletic mobility. He throws a tight spiral and is becoming a player with a very bright future.

Next in line is freshman Drake Maye. The five-star commit from Charlotte, North Carolina is acclimating very well to the UNC football system. He is still working on learning the offense and he will need more time in the weight room to get stronger but Maye will win games for Carolina in the future. His ability to get rid of the ball quickly by analyzing coverage is exceptional for a freshman and that will only improve under Longo’s coaching.

Last but definitely not least is redshirt freshman Jefferson Boaz. The Pilot Mountain, North Carolina product is tall and athletic. His 105 total touchdowns over his final two high school seasons earned him first-team honors on the MaxPreps All-State team. It is my opinion that eventually Boaz will convert over to the tight end position. He was the 40th ranked tight end in the nation his senior year and his 6-foot-6-inches tall, 245-pound frame would make him an excellent target. Only time will tell what direction his career takes him.

Like I stated earlier, Howell is a legitimate Heisman contender and there are teams within the ACC that Criswell, Maye and Boaz could not only play for but be a starter. Mack Brown has assembled quite a quarterback room and the future is definitely bright.

Better Road Trips: Pitt or Penn State? (RX; HM)

Better Road Trips: Pitt or Penn State?

Pitt and Penn State inevitably recruit against each other from time to time. Sometimes the Big Ten hype machine makes it sound like there is no reason to choose Pitt over Penn State, but is that really true? If you've ever read this blog before, you know we like to take the road less traveled, to look under rocks no one has ever looked under before. With that in mind...
Here's a factor you may not have considered: for these young men who will be playing football for the schools, which 4-year experience will give them the more appealing road trips? I'll probably look at that angle for other schools as well, but for now, let's focus on Pitt vs. Penn State...

Road Trips, 2021-24
Pitt PanthersPenn State
at West VirginiaMorgantown, WVat West VirginiaMorgantown, WV
at TennesseeKnoxville, TNat AuburnAuburn, AL
at Notre DameNotre Dame, INat Ohio StateColumbus, OH
at N. CarolinaChapel Hill, NCat IndianaBloomington, IN
at VirginiaCharlottesville, VAat MarylandCollege Park, MD
at SyracuseSyracuse, NYat RutgersPiscataway, NJ
at DukeDurham, NCat NorthwesternEvanston, IL
at NC StateRaleigh, NCat WisconsinMadison, WI
at MiamiMiami Gardens, FLat MichiganAnn Arbor, MI
at Virginia TechBlacksburg, VAat Michigan StE. Lansing, MI
at Georgia TechAtlanta, GAat PurdueW. Lafayette, IN
at LouisvilleLouisville, KYat IowaIowa City, IA
at CincinnatiCincinnati, OHat IllinoisChampaign, IL
at W. MichiganKalamazoo, MI
Let's break this thing down...
  • West Virginia = West Virginia. Both teams visit Morgantown in the next 4 years - a draw.
  • Pitt goes to Tennessee while Penn State visits Auburn. Auburn may be the better opponent, but Knoxville is the better road trip - advantage: Pitt
  • Penn State plays Ohio State in "the Shoe". Pitt makes a pilgrimage to "Touchdown Jesus" - this is really close, so I'm calling this a draw.
  • Both teams play at the home of a traditional basketball power which has recently started playing some pretty good football. I'm calling UNC / Indiana another draw.
  • Charlottesville and College Park are both in the general vicinity of Washington, D.C. Maryland is closer, but it's also a dump. Another push here.
  • Upstate New York in a freshly renovated dome or Piscataway, N.J.? Pitt has a slight edge.

When CFB Crowned the Wrong Team (RX; HM)

When CFB Crowned the Wrong Team

HM — 2002 Ohio State Buckeyes

Real Champion: Miami Hurricanes pic.twitter.com/723UVxubEQ

— Sports Talk Andrew (@SportsTalkDrew) April 4, 2021
RankYearChampionReal Champ
HM2002Ohio StateMiami
101954Ohio StateUCLA
91950OklahomaKentucky
81970TexasNebraska
71964AlabamaArkansas
61960MinnesotaOle Miss
52017AlabamaUCF
41993Florida StateNotre Dame
31973AlabamaNotre Dame
21990ColoradoGeorgia Tech
11941AlabamaMinnesota
Based on Sports Talk Andrew's tweets, the team benefitting from the most undeserved national titles is Alabama (four undeserved titles), while the team most often robbed is Notre Dame (two titles denied).
If we look at it through the eyes of 2021 conference affiliation, here are the "win-loss" records of the P5 (with an undeserved championship counted as a "win" and being cheated out as a "loss"):

Other

VNMPQR73CNGKTP5FS4Q7CMQYEI.JPG

Symphoria will stream its concerts virtually from its Inspiration Hall during the Covid-19 pandemic. Courtesy of SymphoriaCourtesy of Symphoria

Outdoor hikes, new Everson exhibit, sports memorabilia show: 11 things to do in CNY (PS; $; Croyle)

The weather is definitely warming up and it looks like we can finally put away those snow shovels once and for all.

You can take advantage of the warm sunshine by attending this month’s CNY Folksmarch at Marcellus Park or, if you want to try something a bit tougher, hike the Centennial Trail in Lowville.

If the weather is still not quite warm enough for you, there is a new art exhibit at the Everson, a sports card show at the Ramada on Carrier Circle, and plenty of virtual plays and music.

There is also plenty of live music at local bars and breweries!

Know of an event you would like to see on this list? Email us at features@syracuse.com.

Who What When Where

- The Everson Museum of Art’s latest exhibition, “Who What When Where,” opens on April 10. Courtesy of the Everson Museum of Art Courtesy of the Everson Museum of Art

“Who What When Where”

The Everson Museum of Art’s latest exhibition, “Who What When Where,” opens on April 10. Centering around a 1998 photographic series by Syracuse-based artist Carrie Weems, the exhibition explores how images are interpreted through “the subjective lens of identity, place and time, and the impact of personal perspective, lived experience, and belief systems that each viewer brings to bear.” Several of the works included are new acquisitions and reflect the Everson’s commitment to increasing access to the work of underrepresented artists, including women and artists of color. The exhibit will be running from Thursdays through Sundays until August 22. The Everson will be hosting Zoom talks and demonstrations throughout the exhibit’s run. Check everson.org for details.

Where: 401 Harrison Street, Syracuse
When: Saturday, April 10 through August 22, Thursday-Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
How much: $8 for adults, $ for seniors/students, free for children under 12

I now live in Naples, just a short ride from Ft. Myers and I am stoked about the possibility of

FC36FA4B-C96F-4D48-A327-85D667523280.jpeg