Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
dayofpink-banner.png

Welcome to International Day of Pink!

International Day of Pink aspires to create a more inclusive and diverse world. It promotes acceptance, equality, and taking a stand against bullying. Pink shirts are worn in solidarity with the 2SLGBTQIA+ community, who continue to face hate, discrimination, bullying, and violence. Keeping the clock from turning back on human rights, educating youth not to repeat the mistakes of the past, encouraging youth to challenge social norms and ask more of their educators, and demanding more from policymakers are some goals of the day.

David Shepherd and Travis Price, seniors at Central Kings Rural High School near Cambridge Station, in Nova Scotia, Canada, started International Day of Pink after they saw a freshman being bullied and threatened with getting beat up for wearing a pink shirt. They bought 50 pink shirts at a discount store and sent emails to their male friends asking them to wear them to school. Their line of thought was that 50 people couldn't be bullied at once. But the "sea of pink" ended up being much larger than they had anticipated. Not only were the 50 shirts worn, but many other students wore pink as well.

SU News

10 early Syracuse football spring ball standouts, takeaways (247sports.com; $; Bailey)

Syracuse football is progressing through spring practice without a peep. The Orange has completed five of its five NCAA-mandated sessions without the release of a roster, depth chart or schedule. No players or coaches have been made available for interview since Dino Babers addressed the media following Day 1.

SyracuseOn247 conducted background conversations in an attempt to learn how the spring has been going thus far. Here's a rundown of early standouts as well as some takeaways. It's important to note that the Orange has yet to hold a scrimmage -- the most important evaluation opportunity. After three days in shorts, SU has held two thud practices (hitting, but no tackling).

SEAN TUCKER OFF TO A STRONG START

After a breakout freshman campaign, running back Sean Tucker has picked up where he left off. The 5-foot-10, 202-pound running back is playing with physicality as well as the same vision and knack for falling forward that led him to be the team's top runner last fall.

allen.webp

LeQuint Allen with the East Coast Elite 7v7 Championship Trophy

LeQuint Allen Helps NLG to East Coast Elite 7v7 Championship (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse running back commit LeQuint Allen celebrated a championship on Sunday. He helped lead Next Level Greats (NLG) to the East Coast Elite 7v7 Championship. Allen says NLG was undefeated during the event and he a few touchdowns along with an interception during their games. Allen sported orange gloves during the tournament as well. By winning, NLG qualifies for the NFA 7v7 National Championship tournament.

Allen was the second player to commit to Syracuse football's 2022 class and first offensive player. While the Orange's class is four players strong, he remains the only commit on the offensive side of the ball. He also held offers from Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Temple, Virginia and West Virginia, among others.

SI All-American's John Garcia Jr. describes Allen as follows:

"The junior is a natural in the backfield, specializing in one-cut ability, breaking tackles and chunk yardage thanks to well above average vision. Successful backs know when to press and play patiently, something Allen's instincts allow given the play-call, something that pairs well with a general quickness and ability to make the primary tackler miss. Allen works with minimal wasted movement, featuring a jump-cut, dead leg and old-school cross slap in getting by first contact.

2024 Intro: Syair Torrence (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball landed Marquette transfer guard Symir Torrence recently. He was a local product who is returning home to play in front of friends and family. One member of his family is a talented prospect in his own right, just in a different sport. Syair Torrence is a 2024 wide receiver who plays at CBA in Syracuse (N.Y.).

"I'm a playmaking wide receiver," Torrence said. "I can make any passes you can give me to get a first down or more, even a touchdown. I describe myself as a playmaker at wide receiver. I can play both slot and outside."

Currently a freshman in high school, Torrence played varsity last season as an eighth grader. That experience will serve him well as he continues to develop.

"It was a big deal for me because I had to step up," Torrence said. "The team made it more comfortable for me for my voice to be heard on the field, in practice or out of practice. The coaches helped me get settled down for school and for football at the same time."

While Torrence certainly has confidence in his abilities, he is also focused on getting better.

"I want to improve in my speed, my route running and getting stronger," Torrence said.

Despite not yet finishing his freshman year of high school, Torrence is already attracting interest from the ACC, Big-12 and SEC.

"Syracuse, South Carolina and Baylor are the only three schools that I know have texted my coaches," Torrence said. "It's a really big deal for me and enjoyment, because at my age that really never happens. I'm just happy that it happened to me."

Throughout the recruiting process, Torrence is able to go to his brother for advice. As a coveted prospect, Symir is able to give Syair insight on how to navigate the process.

Orange Watch: Syracuse football under the radar preparing for 2021 season - The Juice Online (the juice; Bierman)

The good news for Syracuse football this spring is there’s no place to go but north in the ACC standings come fall.

That’s what happens when the program suffered only its fourth one-victory season since the end of World War II (1945, 1948, 2005) in 2020. The schedule returns to a semblance of normalcy with four opening non-conference games that offer the perfect blend of opposing talent levels to formulate how best to win in the eight ACC games that follow.

Then there’s the roster. It’s a unique mix of experienced depth featuring an unheard of eight sixth year players taking advantage of an extra year of eligibility due to the pandemic, the judicious use of the transfer portal, younger players stockpiled by conventional redshirting, and the most impressive all-around recruiting class in the staff’s six seasons.

Trill Williams - Free Safety Syracuse Orange Scouting Report (SI; TNB)

TRILL WILLIAMS | Syracuse | DS | #6 | Jr | 6006 | 198 | Yonkers, NY | Archbishop Stepinac | 12.29.99

Overview:

A part of the most underrated secondary in college football this past season, Williams was the Swiss Army knife for the Orange, having played a variety of roles. Blessed with an outstanding frame, with length for days, Williams is a very easy player to spot on the back end. Lining up mostly in the nickel in 2019, Williams made the move to free safety fulltime this past season. He brings a physical brand of football, never shying away from contact. Williams is an explosive mover who is a height/weight/speed specimen that position coaches are going to get excited about on the next level. He plays angry, putting some massive shots in the pass game on film. For a player as athletic and impressive looking as Williams, he doesn’t pop on film as much as you’d like. He’s a little complacent in man coverage, getting flat-footed at the top of the stem, making for some easy completions. In deep zone, he seems to have an underwhelming understanding of spacing, making few plays on the football. Williams has made some splash plays working in short zone, but not nearly as many as his physical profile would suggest. When his athleticism and versatility are coupled, teams are sure to take a hard look at him. However, Williams is currently more athlete than player. Look for a team to take a gamble on him on Day 3, hoping they can unlock his obvious gifts.

Background:

Given name is Atrilleon Williams. Raised in Yonkers, New York. Four-star recruit according to 247Sports. Communication and rhetorical studies major. Academic standout. Started 4 of 12 games, missing one game due to injury as a freshman. Started 7 of 11 games played as a sophomore. Started five games as a junior before opting out. Parents are married. Five siblings. Brother played football at Western Kentucky. Sister played volleyball at Mississippi Valley State. Played basketball and ran track in high school.

trill.webp

1618397509869.png

Taylor Rooks, Andre Cisco and notable SU alums join Sport Business Conference (DO; McCaffery)

Since 2018, Ben Alon has watched the Syracuse Sport Business Conference — an independent, student-run organization — flourish from individual conversations into a two-day virtual conference. Last year’s in-person conference was canceled, and Alon and the rest of the conference planners have used the last year to adapt and plan the first conference with panels of industry leaders and keynote speakers.

The organization put on digital panels throughout the summer and fall semester to build an audience on Instagram and Twitter ahead of the virtual event, which will take place from Thursday to Friday.

Social media posts such as Motivation Monday, where SSBC posts inspirational quotes from former and future conference speakers, allowed the organization to gain followers and grab the attention of possible conference speakers. SSBC was able to book speakers for its virtual conference who might not have normally been able to attend the conference, said Danielle Parr, the SSBC vice president of outreach.

“Instead of having to travel to Syracuse to partake in this in person, they’re able to do this from their offices or homes and still be able to interact and engage with us,” she said.

This year’s conference will bring in a lineup of speakers, including Syracuse graduate and Clippers radio voice Noah Eagle and former SU football player Andre Cisco.

ACC Divisions: Old vs New (RX; HM)

ACC Divisions: Old vs New

College football is about rivalries. ACC football, sadly, is not. What can be done to fix it? Here's an idea that's been around before: redraw the divisions into seven "old" and seven "new" ACC teams...

The Divisions.

New (joined after 1/1/1990): Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville
Old: Clemson, UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Georgia Tech
Balanced? Not really, especially when you consider that every one of the "new" teams were added specifically for football (with the possible exception of Syracuse, I guess?). I mean, Clemson and Georgia Tech are capable of fielding powerhouse football teams, and UNC, NC State and UVa are all decent, maybe on the rise, even.

Cross-division Scheduling.

I'm not sure you'd need any permanent crossover games except maybe UVa-VT. Instead, what if the ACC went with "parity scheduling" (you know, like the NFL uses for cross-division games)? It might look like this:
OldNew
ClemsonMiami
North CarolinaBoston College
NC StatePitt
VirginiaVirginia Tech
Wake ForestLouisville
Georgia TechFlorida State
DukeSyracuse

Expanding the CFP (RX; HM)

Expanding the CFP

When it's time to discuss the pros and cons of expanding the College Football Playoffs, someone will invariably say that there are only two or three teams with a realistic shot to win the national title anyway, so why do we need more teams? Those people are completely missing the point!
Here's what we actually got with a 4-team playoff field:

1 Alabama SECX2 Clemson ACC
4 Notre Dame*3 Ohio St B1G
Nice games, but only three total (two semifinals plus one final), and of course we know how they turned out.
And here's what we would've gotten* for the first round of an 8-team playoff:

1 Alabama SEC2 Notre Dame*
8 USC Pac-127 Cincy G5
X
5 Texas AM*3 Clemson ACC
10 Oklahoma Big XII4 Ohio St B1G

The question you should be asking yourself is not whether USC could upset Alabama or Cincinnati could take out Notre Dame, but rather, wouldn't you have liked to see those games in the first place?

Maybe the Trojans or the Bearcats pull the upset, but even if they don't, those would've been entertaining games! Not to mention you still get to keep Clemson vs. Ohio State, but now we're tossing in Texas A&M versus Oklahoma as an added bonus!

Other

Amazon distribution center in Upstate NY nears completion

Wow! New drone video shows full size of huge Amazon warehouse being built in Clay (PS; $; Moriarty)

A new Syracuse.com aerial video shows the massive footprint of the Amazon distribution center under construction in Clay.

Amazon recently completed the shell of the five-story, 3.8-million-square-foot center going up at the northwest corner of Morgan Road and the Liverpool Bypass.

A lot of work remains to complete the $350 million building, which will be one of the largest distribution centers in the world when it opens this fall. But the drone video shows the structure covering much of what used to be the Liverpool Public Golf & Country Club.

The center will employ 1,000 people when it opens. Jenna Hilzenrath, a spokesperson for Amazon, said general hiring will begin about a month prior to the opening.

Amazon has said jobs at the facility will pay a minimum of $15 an hour.

Last edited:
UPDATED: Expanding the CFP
I fixed the seedings, which were wrong. We wouldn't have gotten Cincinnati vs. Notre Dame... we'd have gotten Cincinnati vs. Ohio State - on a neutral field! (I don't need to tell you how much better that would've been, do I?)