Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
hi-res-cea2abb25e4220aa6d42674cb114c613_crop_north.jpg

Welcome to Patriot's Day!

Patriots' Day is a holiday commemorating the battles of Lexington and Concord, which took place on April 19, 1775. The shots fired at these two cities on the outskirts of Boston were the first shots of the American Revolution. Following the war, Lexington Day and Concord Day began being celebrated in their respective cities. The cities later petitioned Massachusetts Governor Frederic Greenhalge to create a state commemoration. He created Patriots' Day, which replaced Fast Day. It was first celebrated on April 19, 1894. The new holiday also originally commemorated the anniversary of the Baltimore riot of 1861, where some of the first bloodshed of the Civil War took place, and four members of the Massachusetts militia died. In 1938, the Massachusetts legislature passed a bill making the battles of Lexington and Concord the sole focus of the day.

Until 1969, the holiday was celebrated on the actual anniversary of the battles, but it since has been observed on the third Monday of April in most states that officially commemorate it. As of 2018, it is a state holiday in Maine and Massachusetts. Schools in Wisconsin observe it on April 19 (if it's a weekday) by having students learn about the battles and their importance to American history. Those in Florida are encouraged to celebrate the day, although it isn't an official holiday there. Connecticut began officially observing the day in 2018.

SU News

Syracuse spring scrimmage #1 highlights

dungey_uconn-678x381.jpg

Eric Dungey breaks a tackle during Syracuse's 51-21 win over UCONN. Mandatory Photo Credit: Initra Marilyn, The Juice Online.

Eric Dungey believes Syracuse football is in for a turnaround in 2021 - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

Former Syracuse quarterback Eric Dungey is confident that the Orange is in for a turnaround in 2021.

Syracuse went a dismal 1-10 in 2020, as injuries mounted and the offense struggled to score. But with a deeper offensive line and many key players returning on defense, Dungey—who is making his return to professional football in The Spring League in May—believes 2021 will be a different story.

“This is a the year,” Dungey said on this week’s edition of The Juice on the Cuse Podcast, presented by SNY.tv. “I’m really excited to see them play, and I think they can do very well.”

One of the factors that Dungey pointed to was depth at quarterback. Last year, Syracuse struggled with its play under center with quarterback Tommy DeVito getting injured midway through the year. It forced SU to play musical chairs at quarterback, with Rex Culpepper and JaCobian Morgan struggling to run Dino Babers’ offense.

That will change this year with the arrival of Mississippi State quarterback transfer Garrett Shrader and highly touted freshman Justin Lamson.

“You have a couple of quarterbacks that will push Tommy,” Dungey said. “The competition, that’s what they needed there—competition within the team. That’s how we were so successful (in 2018). We just competed with each other every day. And when you’re playing against other people, it felt like a scrimmage because you were going hard in practice every day.”

Dungey also believes the offense will improve with the return of Taj Harris. Harris finished with 58 receptions, 733 yards and five touchdowns in his junior season, all career highs. He will enter 2021 as of the ACC’s top receivers.

“(Taj is) such a special player,” Dungey said. “You have one receiver like that who can just take the top off a defense and really just stretch the field, and you got Tommy.”

Dungey also reflected on his Syracuse career, which ended with a 10-win season in 2018 and a 34-18 win in the Camping World Bowl over West Virginia. He threw for 303 yards and a touchdown in that game, and was named MVP.

It was the first time Syracuse had won 10 games and finished ranked inside the top 25 since 2001.

“It was senior year and we were able to put that all together and win the Camping World Bowl,” Dungey said. “It was fulfilling and all of that hard work paid off. And it got me excited to play at the next level.”

Q & A with Former Syracuse QB Eric Dungey (SI; McAllister)

AllSyracuse.com spoke with former Syracuse QB Eric Dungey, who is on the Blues roster of The Spring League. The Spring League is a developmental football league for players looking for exposure and to provide film to professional leagues. We discussed a variety of topics with Dungey.

Q: How did you end up in The Spring League?

"My agent reached out to me and told me about this opportunity," Dungey said. "He was just saying that these other leagues such as the CFL and XFL probably are not going to be happening anytime soon. It's a great opportunity and it's coming soon too. It's only about seven or eight weeks but you can get six games in, maybe seven, get some film. That's the biggest thing is I need to get some film since I haven't played in a year and a half. I just want to go out there and show what I can do still. Opportunities are very slim now. This is a great opportunity for guys like myself who want to go and prove things."

Q: How have you stayed ready and continued to pursue your dreams of becoming a professional football player?

"A common misconception, obviously I went to the Giants and I was very grateful for the opportunity, I went as a quarterback/tight end but I was just in the tight end room. A 219-pound tight end in the NFL for the first year ever playing is not going to work out, especially when I've been playing quarterback my whole life. Unfortunately I was cut because I really didn't fit the tight end build. After that I got a great opportunity at Cleveland. I learned a lot just being in that room with Baker (Mayfield), Drew Stanton, Garrett Gilbert and those guys. Very smart, cerebral guys. I just kind of saw how they went about things for about 10 weeks. Just being in that atmosphere was an incredible experience.

Brian Baldinger Breaks Down Andre Cisco's Game (SI; McAllister)

Former Syracuse star safety Andre Cisco is one of the best prospects at his position in the 2021 NFL Draft. On Sunday, NFL Network's Brian Baldinger posted on Twitter a film breakdown of Cisco's game and how it translates to the NFL. You can watch the video below or read his commentary below as well.

"From the Cuse, safety," Baldinger says in the video. "They play a lot of this three deep for Dino Babers, alright, on third and long. Watch the break here on this ball. This guy covers a lot of ground. I mean, a lot of ground. Watch this, this is an NFL play. They're going to blitz the curl flat defender here. He's (Cisco) going to come up and cover the tight end. Watch this right here. See this? Watch the feet. Watch the hip. Open - flat. There he is, perfect position, upfield shoulder. Now here's the 4.4 speed, go and make the play. You see it over and over and over again.

Part 1: ACC FB Value (RX; HM)

Part 1: ACC FB Value

Apparently one NC State fan thought my $3.8M prescription didn't go nearly far enough...

The Idea.

From a comment posted by 'Statefan' on CSNBBS:

I think if you break ACC schools down based on football value to the conference you can get the following 5 tiers:
1 - Worth 3X [their share] to conference inventory: Clemson, Florida State, Notre Dame
2 - Worth 1.5X to conference inventory: Miami, UNC, Va Tech, Ga Tech, Louisville
3 - Pays for themselves: NC State, Syracuse, Pitt
4 - Slight drain, perhaps 0.75X: Virginia, Wake Forest, Boston College
5 - Huge drain, zero FB value: Duke
I think the fastest way for the ACC to get to $40-42 million per school is to have Duke, UVa, WF, and BC stop playing conference football. That would leave Syracuse, Pitt, VT, UNC, NC State, Clemson, Louisville, GT, FSU, and Miami and the conferences football programs. The other four could opt out of the image or employment payments that are down the road in football and perhaps partner with Army and Navy to account for 5 games. WF and NC State and Duke/UVa and UNC will still play - just not for conference standings. Finding who wants to drop back on football is the key thing I think.

I don't know if Duke, UVa, Wake and/or BC* would agree to this, but it is the most feasible way to get the ACC back into comparable financial footing with the P2 (the SEC and Big Ten) that I've seen.

Throwback ACC Logos (RX; HM)

Throwback ACC Logos

Which schools needed to change logos, and which were fine with the old ones? From Fox...
Which @ACCFootball team has the best throwback logo? pic.twitter.com/yzVSg5uGUe
— FOX College Football (@CFBONFOX) April 16, 2021
Some of those old logos look great - they should probably use them still! Others: good riddance.
Best old logos: Florida State, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Louisville, UNC, and NC State.

My comments:

Boston College - you did the right thing changing that logo.
Clemson - the old one wasn't too bad, but the new one is iconic.
Duke - not much change, to be honest.
FSU - again, subtle change (nothing wrong with the old one, though)
GT - I like the old one, I like the new one too.
Louisville - love the old logo, but the new one is just fine.
Miami - that old logo was hideous; you did right going for the "U".
NC State - not much change; I like both old and new.
Pitt - the simple Pitt script works best in my opinion.
Syracuse - to be fair, you changed mascots, so naturally it's a big change

2021 ACC Kings of Social Media (RX; HM)

2021 ACC Kings of Social Media

A twitter account called "SkillSparks" posted this social media data:
Top 30 college football teams generating the most interactions on official social accounts (IG+TW+FB) in February 2021. #smsports pic.twitter.com/B5EQVPgIWb
— SkullSparks (@SkullSparks) March 1, 2021
This data shows that five ACC schools are among the top 30 nationally in social media followers:
RankTeamInstagramTwitterFacebook
1Clemson1,158,27058,678110,973
9Notre Dame240,20528,64047,922
20Florida State145,38224,57712,130
23Miami (FL)112,00723,36015,574
27N. Carolina107,37818,7672,821

In the tweet they sum up all three columns to get a total, but I figure most of those overlap (I mean, super fans are on their team's instagram, twitter and facebook, right?) Still, it's impressive that Clemson came it at #1, with Notre Dame, the two Florida schools in the top 25, and UNC just outside.

2021 Impact Transfers (RX; HM)

2021 Impact Transfers​

According to ESPN+, Which college football transfers will make an impact in 2021? Here are the ACC-related transfers...

Quarterback​

McKenzie Milton: UCF to Florida State
The Seminoles need help at quarterback, and Milton has been cleared to play after his horrific injury at UCF. In 2017, Milton threw for 4,037 yards, 37 touchdowns and nine interceptions, leading UCF to an undefeated season. If he's able to play close to 100%, he could be a big help on offense.
Jack Coan: Wisconsin to Notre Dame
Coan will replace Ian Book, who threw for 2,830 yards, 15 touchdowns and three interceptions this season, completing nearly 65% of his passes and taking the Irish to the College Football Playoff. Coan won't have the same team Book did, but if he can improve his numbers -- 2,727 yards, 18 touchdowns, five interceptions and a 69.6% completion percentage in 2019 -- then he can be a good transition quarterback for Notre Dame.

usa_today_11638220.0.jpg

Virginia Tech defensive end TyJuan Garbutt Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

Virginia Tech defensive end TyJuan Garbutt talks Justin Fuente helping him through a difficult time (gobblercountry.com; Manning)

TyJuan Garbutt came to Virginia Tech as a talented four-star defensive end back in 2017 from Riverbend High School in Fredericksburg, Virginia. It was considered a big win for the Hokies on the recruiting trail to sign a player out of a region of the state that other schools had seemingly gained more traction in recent years.

While a bit undersized, Garbutt was a fantastic athlete who fit the mold of what then-defensive coordinator Bud Foster looked for in pass-rushers.

Garbutt redshirted in 2017 and made his debut in the Hokies’ season-opening win over Florida State. Garbutt registered a sack in the win over the Seminoles. It was also the debut for cornerback Caleb Farley, who finished with a sack and two interceptions, leaving many Hokie fans excited about the future of the defense.

Garbutt would battle an injury in 2018 but played in every game and made five starts. He started 11 games in 2019, finishing with 31 tackles, including 3.5 for loss and one sack.

Other

brockway-dining-hall-1100x734.jpg

Syracuse University resumes in-person dining as more students get vaccinated (PS; $; Miller)

For the first time in a month, Syracuse University students will be able to eat in campus dining halls starting Monday.

Kris Klinger, SU’s associate vice president of auxiliary services, sent a notice to students, faculty and staff announcing all campus dining centers will resume in-person dining at 11 a.m. Monday. That includes the Schine Student Center and the Goldstein Student Center. The dining rooms will continue to be limited to 50% capacity.

The school halted in-person dining on March 17 as Covid-19 cases on campus skyrocketed. SU had 192 students in quarantine at the time. The dining halls could only offer grab-and-go service over the past month. Access to public lounges in DellPlain, Shaw and Booth residence halls also was suspended.

SU currently has 63 active Covid-19 cases, down from 188 on April 8, according school’s coronavirus dashboard.