Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
chinese_language_day_home.jpg
Welcome to Chinese Language Day!

Language Days at the United Nations seek to celebrate multilingualism and cultural diversity as well as to promote equal use of all six official languages throughout the Organization. Under the initiative, UN duty stations around the world celebrate six separate days, each dedicated to one of the Organization's six official languages.

Why April 20?
The date for the Chinese day was selected from Guyu ("Rain of Millet"), which is the 6th of 24 solar terms in the traditional East Asian calendars, to pay tribute to Cangjie. Cangjie is a very important figure in ancient China, claimed to be an official historian of the Yellow Emperor and the inventor of Chinese characters. Legend has it that he had four eyes and four pupils, and that when he invented the characters, the deities and ghosts cried and the sky rained millet. From then on, Chinese people celebrate the day Guyu in honour of Cangjie. In the Gregorian calendar, it usually begins around April 20.

Chinese at the UN

Chinese was established as an official language of the United Nations in 1946. However, in early years, Chinese was not commonly used in the work of the United Nations. The situation was improved after restoration of the lawful rights of the People's Republic of China in the United Nations in 1971. In 1973, the General Assembly included Chinese as a working language, which was followed by the Security Council in 1974. More and more UN offices and staff members work with Chinese language.

SU News

Maximus McCree 'Shocked' by Syracuse Offer (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football extended a scholarship offer on Monday to a junior college offensive lineman in the class of 2022. The early offer to a junior college prospect is not common unless a program feels this particular player could be a difference maker. Syracuse's offer was to Iowa Central Community College standout Maximus McCree.

"Coach Schmidt messaged me on Twitter earlier (Monday) and asked for my number," McCree said. "He told me he was going to call me later and at around five we were talking. He asked how was I and how was I doing with school. Then said he likes the way I play and told me i had an offer from Syracuse. I was shocked, really pumped, and felt blessed."

McCree said this was not the first time he had heard from Syracuse, but it had been a while. Syracuse had communicated interest through his coach when it was recruiting class of 2021 offensive lineman signee Jakob Bradford, a teammate of McCree. He had not heard from the Orange after that until Monday's offer, but the scholarship opportunity could be the start of a strong relationship.

'Cuse Commit Q&A: OT Enrique Cruz (SI; Payne)

Syracuse football could barely field a roster in 2020, left with fewer than 60 scholarship players late in the season. Transfers were denied eligibility, and a fullback was forced to play guard.

Now, a once decimated offensive line is finally healthy enough to practice. Transfers are participating in team activities, and reinforcements could extend this unit 20-deep by the fall. Helping fill out that depth are five commits from the class of 2021, and tackle Enrique Cruz is poised to be the crown jewel.

The 6-foot-5, 252-pound high school senior from Chicago is a four-star recruit according to 247Sports' composite rankings. He's the highest-rated offensive lineman to commit to Syracuse since 2018.

Cruz received offers from Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Louisville, Wake Forest, West Virginia, Arizona, Utah, and Indiana but decided to come to Syracuse.

Cruz recently spoke with Syracuse on SI about his decision to commit, how he reacted to coaching changes, and his unique leadership style. The interview below has been transcribed and edited slightly for clarity.

Clemson Football: Tigers' 2021 Schedule Analysis (athlonsports.com; Kinne)

for gbo

During the past several years, with 2020's disjointed season being an exception, Clemson has followed a very consistent pattern when it comes to scheduling. In each season since 2010, Clemson has faced an SEC heavyweight, a Group of 5 opponent, an in-state FCS foe, and South Carolina in non-conference play. Notre Dame replaced the SEC team in 2015, but the formula remained the same.

Since the strategy is working, there is no reason to deviate from the plan. This coming fall, Clemson will tangle with what some consider to be the favorite in the SEC, the FCS Bulldogs from Orangeburg, a Group of 5 patsy, and the Gamecocks. With a down Atlantic Division and a favorable ACC crossover matchup, the meat of this schedule comes right off in week one.

Here's how 2021 sets up for Clemson.

Clemson Tigers 2021 Schedule

Bye: Week 6

Week 1 – Sept. 4 vs. Georgia (Charlotte, N.C.)
This will be the fifth time Clemson and Georgia have played since their fairly regular series ended in 1995 and each of the five has been season openers. The meeting in Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte will be the first neutral-site contest since the 1916 game that was played in Anderson, S.C. Despite the injury to receiver George Pickens, Georgia will be in everyone’s top five entering the season.

Week 2 – Sept. 11 vs. South Carolina State (Clemson, S.C.)
These Bulldogs closed out their FCS spring season at 3-1 by beating Delaware State 31-28 this past Saturday. In 2019, they finished 8-3, notching their best winning percentage in nine years. The Tigers have won all four meetings between the two schools by a combined score of 238-20.

Week 3 – Sept. 18 vs. Georgia Tech (Clemson, S.C.)
In recent years, Clemson has owned Georgia Tech like the Tigers have the rest of the ACC. But throughout the years, this has been one of the league’s best rivalries. Quarterback Jeff Sims gives the Yellow Jackets some hope going into 2021 and Tech should be 2-0 when they come to Memorial Stadium.

Week 4 – Sept. 25 at NC State (Raleigh, N.C.)
The Textile Bowl is another series in which Clemson has had its way, winning 15 of the last 16 games. But Dave Doeren’s club figures to be one of the ACC’s top teams in 2021 after winning eight games last fall. Quarterback Devin Leary played in the Wolfpack’s recent spring game and his return to health is critical now that Bailey Hockman is at Middle Tennessee.

Week 5 – Oct. 2 vs. Boston College (Clemson, S.C.)
The Tigers have won 10 in a row versus the Eagles, but Boston College head coach Jeff Hafley’s first team nearly ended that streak last Halloween. Clemson was down by 18 late in the second quarter before rallying for a 34-28 win. Two of Boston College’s main weapons, quarterback Phil Jurkovec and wide receiver Zay Flowers, will be returning to Death Valley for another try.

Week 7 – Oct. 15 at Syracuse (Syracuse, N.Y.)
The situation seems very similar. On Friday, Oct. 13, 2017, Clemson went to the Carrier Dome and was upset by Dino Babers’ Orange. It would an even bigger surprise if this Cuse team were to beat the Tigers. Babers comes into the season on thin ice after a one-win 2020 campaign.

2020 ACC Head FB Coaches Salaries (RX; HM)

2020 ACC Head FB Coaches Salaries

12 of the 14 ACC football head coach salaries were tweeted by Joe Giglio:

The ACC order for 2020, for total compensation for football coaches, via @usatodaysports pic.twitter.com/pqbdgU3bgC

— Joe Giglio (@gigli:confused:G) April 17, 2021
Surprised that Virginia Tech's Justin Fuente was the second-highest-paid coach in the ACC last year? I know I was. However, just knowing someone's salary is without context. The real question should be: did they earn their pay? Here's a look at millions of dollars per win...
Team$Mwins$M/win
Clemson8.32100.83
VT4.2550.85
Pitt4.0860.68
UVA3.8450.77
FSU3.5331.18
UNC3.4680.43
Syracuse3.2113.21
NC State3.1380.39
GT3.131.03
Louisville3.0940.77
Duke2.7821.39
Wake2.340.58

Looked at this way, we see that VT essentially pays Fuente the same amount per win as Clemson pays Swinney.
The best bargains in the ACC are UNC's Mack Brown ($430K/win) and NC State's Dave Doeren (only $390K/win).

The biggest waste of coaching salary? It's not even close: Dino Babers of Syracuse, who was paid over $3 million to win just one game...

Is this the realignment end game? (RX; HM)

Is this the realignment end game?

Some think a culling is inevitable in college football...
Has anyone ever written about something like the Super League for college football before?

Glad you asked!

Five scenarios for the future of college conference realignment pic.twitter.com/1XnQ0uPces
— Stewart Mandel (@slmandel) April 18, 2021
Notice that the ACC only loses four teams to the Premier League: Clemson, Florida State, Miami and Virginia Tech. Put those in the "East" along with Penn State, West Virginia and Florida, and you've got the recipe for a heavyweight fight every weekend!
Northeast

However, that still leaves some a very interesting 10-team ACC... or you could combine with leftovers from the Big Ten and the SEC with the best from the G5s to create some even better regional leagues of 10 teams each:
Northeast:

• Boston College
  • Syracuse
  • Army
  • Rutgers
  • Temple
  • Maryland
  • Navy
  • Pitt
  • Cincinnati
  • Louisville

Other

J3EGEPTE3BFVTIRCHSYHRFZCSQ.jpg

A big reason I picked Syracuse was to watch games in the Dome. On Saturday, I finally got my chance (PS; $; Hertzel)

When I think about Syracuse athletics, the Carrier Dome comes to mind first. It’s one of many buildings on campus with a lengthy history. The banners hanging from the rafters are a constant reminder of stories about football and lacrosse legends, of basketball built on Boeheims. Every time I saw the Dome from the highway, I wondered what it would feel like to watch a game from the Syracuse student section.

When it came time to choose a graduate school, I found myself drawn to Syracuse. I looked first at the strength of the journalism program at Newhouse. Then, I factored in the school’s athletic success.

Syracuse was a no-brainer. Newhouse is one of the strongest journalism schools in the country, and it’s no secret that athletics are a pretty big deal here. Aside from the education, I came here in search of that shared school spirit, the connections made over a love of Division I teams with an orange as a mascot.

How do Orange fans feel about Coach Babers? Is he still your guy, or does he need to win to avoid the hot seat? Have memories of 2018 begun to fade (amazing that his only winning season had 10 wins - what an outlier!)

How do Orange fans feel about Coach Babers? Is he still your guy, or does he need to win to avoid the hot seat? Have memories of 2018 begun to fade (amazing that his only winning season had 10 wins - what an outlier!)
Speaking only for me, I think it was predictable last season was going to be a disaster for Syracuse. We changed our OC and DC during the off season, and had 3 spring practices before COVID shut things down.

Then we had a remarkable string of injuries to our OL that led to a FB starting at OG and a lot of other offensive linemen starting that would otherwise have not played. Most of those injures happened before the season even began. Some lost rehab time recovering from surgeries because of COVID.

We had arguably the best secondary in the ACC. 3 of the starters will be drafted later this month. We had another solid veteran and a really promising frosh CB to fill out the secondary. Everyone got hurt except the frosh CB. Many of the backups were true frosh or redshirt frosh who did not have a chance to train properly during the spring or summer due to COVID and were not physically ready to play. We ended up with more than half the starters being freshmen and had to move a couple of receivers to defense (along with a FB to OG) so we had enough players to move minimum ACC standards and not forfeit games.

I don't blame Coach Babers for this. It was an extraordinary run of bad luck. The one good thing that came of it is that a lot of young DBs got a lot of playing time last season and are presumably better positioned to be successful this season, with the 3 big star DBs gone to the NFL.

If Dino goes 1-11 this year, yes, he is on the hot seat. I think most Syracuse fans understand 6-6 would be a good accomplishment this season. The schedule is not easy. I think we are going to be favored against SUNY Albany. That is it.

OOC games against Rutgers and Liberty are not gimme wins. The away game at Ohio will also be a tough one to win.

We could easily be 4-0 heading into October. Or 1-3.

Date Opponent Time/TV Comments
Saturday September 4th at Ohio
Saturday September 11th RUTGERS 9/11 Remembrance
Saturday, September 19th SUNY ALBANY COVID Hero Recognition Day?
Friday, September 24th LIBERTY
Saturday, October 2nd at Florida State Board tailgate likely
Saturday, October 9th WAKE FOREST
Friday, October 15th CLEMSON
Saturday, October 23rd at Virginia Tech
Saturday, October 30th BOSTON COLLEGE 3rd year in a row BC plays in the dome
Saturday, November 6th BYE
Saturday, November 13th at Louisville 3rd year in a row SU plays at UL
Saturday, November 20th at NC State
Saturday, November 27th PITTSBURGH Senior Day

Speaking only for me, I think it was predictable last season was going to be a disaster for Syracuse. We changed our OC and DC during the off season, and had 3 spring practices before COVID shut things down.

Then we had a remarkable string of injuries to our OL that led to a FB starting at OG and a lot of other offensive linemen starting that would otherwise have not played. Most of those injures happened before the season even began. Some lost rehab time recovering from surgeries because of COVID.

We had arguably the best secondary in the ACC. 3 of the starters will be drafted later this month. We had another solid veteran and a really promising frosh CB to fill out the secondary. Everyone got hurt except the frosh CB. Many of the backups were true frosh or redshirt frosh who did not have a chance to train properly during the spring or summer due to COVID and were not physically ready to play. We ended up with more than half the starters being freshmen and had to move a couple of receivers to defense (along with a FB to OG) so we had enough players to move minimum ACC standards and not forfeit games.

I don't blame Coach Babers for this. It was an extraordinary run of bad luck. The one good thing that came of it is that a lot of young DBs got a lot of playing time last season and are presumably better positioned to be successful this season, with the 3 big star DBs gone to the NFL.

If Dino goes 1-11 this year, yes, he is on the hot seat. I think most Syracuse fans understand 6-6 would be a good accomplishment this season. The schedule is not easy. I think we are going to be favored against SUNY Albany. That is it.

OOC games against Rutgers and Liberty are not gimme wins. The away game at Ohio will also be a tough one to win.

We could easily be 4-0 heading into October. Or 1-3.

Date Opponent Time/TV Comments
Saturday September 4that Ohio
Saturday September 11thRUTGERS9/11 Remembrance
Saturday, September 19thSUNY ALBANYCOVID Hero Recognition Day?
Friday, September 24thLIBERTY
Saturday, October 2ndat Florida StateBoard tailgate likely
Saturday, October 9thWAKE FOREST
Friday, October 15thCLEMSON
Saturday, October 23rdat Virginia Tech
Saturday, October 30thBOSTON COLLEGE3rd year in a row BC plays in the dome
Saturday, November 6thBYE
Saturday, November 13that Louisville3rd year in a row SU plays at UL
Saturday, November 20that NC State
Saturday, November 27thPITTSBURGHSenior Day
Wow, I never expected a response that detailed. GREAT comment! Yes, I think we'll know a lot about Babers' future by Sept. 25th... if he's 4-0, he's probably safe no matter what; if he's 1-3, his seat is on fire.