Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
otto-carrier-dome-800x533.jpg
Welcome to Syracuse Day on the ACC Network!

The 2021 Syracuse Takeover Schedule
6:00 a.m.: Women's lacrosse vs. Boston College (ACC Tournament, 4/30/2021)
8:00 a.m.: Men's basketball vs. NC State (ACC Tournament, 3/10/2021)
10:00 a.m.: Men's lacrosse vs. Virginia (2/27/2021)
12:00 p.m.: Softball vs. Clemson (5/8/2021)
2:00 p.m.: Men's basketball vs. Notre Dame (2/20/2021)
3:30 p.m.: ACC Traditions: Syracuse
4:00 p.m.: Football vs. Georgia Tech (9/26/2021)
7:00 p.m.: Men's basketball vs. NC State (ACC Tournament, 3/10/2021)
9:00 p.m.: Men's lacrosse vs. Virginia (2/27/2021)
11:00 p.m.: Volleyball vs. Pittsburgh (9/26/2021)
1:00 a.m.: ACC Traditions: Syracuse
1:30 a.m.: Men's basketball vs. Notre Dame (2/20/2021)
3:30 a.m.: Volleyball vs. Pittsburgh (9/26/2021)

5:30 a.m.: ACC Traditions: Syracuse

SU News

Syracuse Taking Over ACC Network on July 14th (SI; McAllister)

The Syracuse Orange is taking over the ACC Network on Wednesday, July 14th. The takeover will include re-airs of several of the top moments from the 2020-21 season, including Syracuse basketball, football, lacrosse, softball, volleyball and more.

It also includes the debut of ACC Traditions: Syracuse. The program is a half hour show that focuses on the historical highlights of Syracuse Athletics, and will include focus on two legendary numbers for the Orange. The number 44 for Syracuse football and the number 22 for Orange lacrosse.

Here is the schedule for the takeover. Note: Times listed are eastern standard time.

The 2021 Syracuse Takeover Schedule
6:00 a.m.: Women's lacrosse vs. Boston College (ACC Tournament, 4/30/2021)
8:00 a.m.: Men's basketball vs. NC State (ACC Tournament, 3/10/2021)
10:00 a.m.: Men's lacrosse vs. Virginia (2/27/2021)
12:00 p.m.: Softball vs. Clemson (5/8/2021)
2:00 p.m.: Men's basketball vs. Notre Dame (2/20/2021)
3:30 p.m.: ACC Traditions: Syracuse
4:00 p.m.: Football vs. Georgia Tech (9/26/2021)
7:00 p.m.: Men's basketball vs. NC State (ACC Tournament, 3/10/2021)
9:00 p.m.: Men's lacrosse vs. Virginia (2/27/2021)
11:00 p.m.: Volleyball vs. Pittsburgh (9/26/2021)
1:00 a.m.: ACC Traditions: Syracuse
1:30 a.m.: Men's basketball vs. Notre Dame (2/20/2021)
3:30 a.m.: Volleyball vs. Pittsburgh (9/26/2021)
5:30 a.m.: ACC Traditions: Syracuse

Opponent Analysis: Pittsburgh Panthers — 2021 Syracuse Football preview - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

As we countdown to kickoff in September, we’re going to be doing a team-by-team opponent preview each week over the summer. This week, we’re previewing Syracuse’s matchup with NC State on Nov. 27 with three major storylines.

Can the Panthers Offense Lead the Charge?

The Pitt Athletic department has been investing in the football program for the last six years by giving head coach Pat Narduzzi the funds he needs to hire quality coaches in order to build a winner. Is this the year it finally pays off? We shall see.

The Panthers lost wide receivers coach Chris Beatty to the Los Angeles Rams but replaced him with a promising coach in Brennan Marion. Narduzzi has his most accomplished staff in his tenure, but everything is riding on the offense.

The decision to retain offensive coordinator Mark Whipple will ultimately determine how the Narduzzi era is remembered. Pitt has struggled under Whipple to produce a competent offense despite having elite defenses.

Now Pitt has a fifth year starter at QB coming back in Kenny Pickett with an offensive line the performed well in the final four games of the season. Narduzzi and Whipple have everything they need to put together balance, efficient attack.

It will be the most important aspect of the 2021 campaign.

Replacing Six NFL Draftees

Pitt had six starters drafted this past April, five of which were on the defensive side of the ball.

Fortunately, Narduzzi and company have recruited well on defense, which will allow the backups from last year to step in to starting roles primed to perform.

Expect John Morgan and Deslin Alexander to replace Patrick Jones and Rashad Weaver. Brandon Hill stepped in for Paris Ford after the Notre Dame and impressed.

Babers takes the mound on Syracuse Athletics Night (spectrumlocalnews.com; Callaway)

In the last four or five times he's thrown the first pitch at a baseball game, Syracuse football coach Dino Babers hasn't exactly hit his mark.

On Tuesday, he hit his stride with a perfect strike over the middle of the plate at the Syracuse Mets game.

Babers came out with the SU football team for "Cuse Athletics Night" at NBT Bank Stadium.

"I really believe that's the first time I haven't rolled it to the plate. It's been bowling to me before this. It had to be the catcher, Travis, gave me a couple of pointers. I'm just glad I didn't roll it like the first four or five times," Babers said.

Check it out! @CoachBabersCuse tosses a STRIKE @SyracuseMets. You can hear from the coach tonight on @SPECNews1CNY pic.twitter.com/8qRoTZAEPS
— Kate Callaway (@KateCallawayTV) July 13, 2021

Seven teams that Texas football has played, never beat (longhornswire.usatoday.com; Griffin)

The Texas Longhorns have one of the most storied programs in college football history.

While success hasn’t necessarily translated onto the field recently, many dominant seasons have taken place on the Forty Acres. Former Texas head coach Darrell K. Royal held the longest tenure (1957-76) of any coach in Austin, and he won three national titles along the way. He never had a losing season at Texas.

Mack Brown brought the program back to its former glory throughout his tenure from 1998-2013. He won one national title and three BCS Bowl games.

In terms of the most wins among Division 1 FBS programs, Texas lands at No. 4 in the country with 923 total wins. Only Alabama, Ohio State and Michigan sit ahead of them.

Despite all of their success, there are still seven particular programs that Texas has faced and failed to beat at least once.

Using Winsipedia, we’ve compiled a list of teams that the Longhorns haven’t beaten in their 126-year history. It includes three teams from the ACC, two teams from the Big Ten, one team from the SEC, and one team from the Mountain West.

Syracuse

Texas has played Syracuse a total of three times (0-2-1). Their latest matchup came in 1993 which ended in a 21-21 tie. This was the second consecutive year in which the two teams would play. In 1992, Syracuse beat Texas in New York 31-21. However, the first matchup came in the 1960 Cotton Bowl where Ernie Davies caught the longest pass in Cotton Bowl history when he went 87 yards for the opening score. The No. 1 ranked Orangemen handed Texas their first loss of the season 23-14.

Schedule Storylines, Part II (247sports.com; Bowman)

We’re about four weeks away from the start of fall camp — the unofficial end of the college football off-season. At that time, programs across the country will begin updating rosters, testing newcomers, and setting depth charts in preparation for the 2021 season.

After examining the existing storylines for Virginia Tech’s first six games, it’s time to turn our attention to the final six. This will be a tough stretch for the Hokies, as they will have left Blacksburg just once heading into the back half of the schedule.

They get two winnable home games against Syracuse and Duke along with tough road trips to Georgia Tech, Boston College, Miami, and UVA. How are these games shaping up as of right now? Let's take a look.

Game 7: Syracuse, October 23

Syracuse hasn’t played in Blacksburg since Oct. 11, 2003, a 51-7 beatdown that featured two DeAngelo Hall punt returns, a DeAngelo Hall rushing touchdown, a 75-yard touchdown run by Bryan Randall, and two Kevin Jones rushing touchdowns (33 yards and 25 yards).

Obviously, Tech joined the ACC in 2004, which effectively ended the series until the Hokies came out flat against the ‘Cuse in the Carrier Dome back in 2016.

Syracuse head coach Dino Babers enters the 2021 campaign in an interesting situation. He took the ‘Cuse to a 10-3 record in 2018, but followed that up with a 5-7 record in 2019 (still decent by Syracuse standards) but a horrendous 1-10 run in 2020.

He was hired by former Syracuse AD Mark Coyle, who spent just 11 months with the Orange before leaving for the same gig at Minnesota. Former ESPN exec John Wildhack took over the athletic department about seven months after Babers was hired, so it wouldn’t be that surprising if he wanted to get his own guy in there after giving Babers a shot.

Babers is an offensive coach, but the Orange finished last in the ACC by a wide margin in yards per play last season — 4.45 (Duke was 14th in the league at 5.03). He certainly has the right schedule to get off to a good start, although at this point, Syracuse is one of those programs that could lose just about any game. They’ll open at Ohio before finishing September with Rutgers (probably winnable despite Schiano’s recruiting momentum), Albany (winnable), and Liberty (still winnable but we know the Flames are good).

Then, in October, they’ll go to Florida State (maybe winnable, who knows with the ‘Noles these days) before hosting Wake Forest (winnable) and...Clemson. So they’ll probably have played a bunch of low-scoring, ugly games between average to bad teams before getting walloped by Clemson the week before they head to Blacksburg.

They will have an extra day to prepare — they get Clemson on a Friday — but this will still be their eighth game in eight weeks, as their bye week isn’t until November 6 this year. Translation? This will probably be a weary Syracuse team, which puts this in the probably win category for the Hokies.

Here in early July, I’m interested in what attendance numbers look like for this game (and the Pitt game before it) if the Hokies get off to a less-than-stellar start. The way the schedule sets up this season, it’s like Justin Fuente has a chance to secure his job early during the UNC, WVU, and ND games, and if not, it could get ugly for the Pitt and especially Syracuse games. What if the Hokies are 3-3 or 2-4 heading into a game against a 2-4 or 3-3 Syracuse team? Do 25,000+ people stay home for what would be the 6th home game of the season?

Damon Walters has four Power Five offers (247sports.com; Trieu)

Bolingbrook (Ill.) class of 2023 defensive back Damon Walters received his first offers in May and has seen his list grow to four now, with Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Iowa State and Syracuse on the list.

The Volunteers were his first, offering him and teammate I'Marion Stewart around the same time.

"Tennessee being my first offer definitely meant a lot to me," the 6-foot-1, 175-pound Walters said. "I knew it was going to get me a good amount of recognition and it also gave me a lot more motivation going into my next couple seasons in high school. As far as the school itself, I think it’s great. The coaches show that they can build a strong and lasting relationship with their players."

After that was Vanderbilt, who Walters has had an opportunity to visit.

"Vanderbilt was also a great school and I had an amazing experience there," he said. "The coaches really got along with me and I really appreciated the way they presented their personalities and the school to me. Being on campus gave me a good feeling and I felt that the school definitely lives under its description of a prestigious college."

The most recent offer to come Walters' way is Iowa State.

"After receiving the offer from Iowa State, I did a little bit of research on the school and I enjoyed what I learned," he said. "Their campus and the athletic facilities were impressive to see and read up on."

Walters, whose older brother Justin plays at Notre Dame, is planning to get to college games in the fall.

"Getting to a Tennessee game will definitely higher up in the list and I also feel that an Iowa State game would be a fun experience as well as a game at The University of Iowa," he said.

The younger Walters played six varsity games in the spring of 2021.

Trustee Member, Alumnus Cliff Ensley Reflects on Taking Challenges, Making an Impact (syr.edu; Haley)

In 1978, Cliff Ensley ’69, ’70, G’71 had an idea to start his own business and just $2,500 to do it. He was used to taking on challenges—there was no stopping him.

Growing up, he struggled with a learning disability—at a time when learning disabilities were not recognized—and then went on to earn three degrees at Syracuse University: in economics and industrial engineering and an MBA. A walk-on student-athlete, he finished his playing years as the last three-sport letter winner—in football, lacrosse and wrestling—at Syracuse.

person standing at podium

Cliff Ensley ’69, ’70, G’71 at the Board of Trustees induction in 2015

With his education, a perseverance built on the playing fields and experience in retail luggage sales, Ensley launched his idea for a wholesale luggage company, still a vital business more than 40 years on. He is founder and chief executive officer of Leisure Merchandising Corporation, a luggage and accessories manufacturing business.

“I’ve learned that if there’s something you’re afraid to do, go ahead and do it because the worst thing that can happen is that you fail. Failure is not a bad thing; it teaches you resilience and it keeps your expectations low,” says Ensley, who was elected to the Syracuse University Board of Trustees in 2015 and was named to the Board’s Executive Committee in May. “And when you succeed, you can enjoy the flowers along the way. It’s not just the goal you’re going for, you better enjoy getting there.”

Coming out of the uncertain times for the travel industry during COVID-19, his business has emerged strong through careful oversight.

Ensley, who describes himself as “semi-retired” from the business, checks in regularly and stepped in more over the past year due to the pandemic. With many factories closed in Asia and supply lines disrupted during the crisis, he helped monitor finances and kept in touch with key customers.

The State of Syracuse Football (RX; HM)

The State of Syracuse Football

One massive upgrade is coming to Syracuse for the 2021 football season...
Just thinkin' about the day we can have the Loud House full again and show off our new renovations... pic.twitter.com/OAMiA7uGkN
— Syracuse Football (@CuseFootball) April 2, 2021
The pandemic cheated the Orange out of getting the full benefit of the newly-rennovated Dome, but that's something that fans and players alike can anticipate this Fall...
From SI.com's Trend Analysis of Syracuse Football Recruiting, we learn that 17.85% of Syracuse football's recruits come from the Sunshine State, Florida. Meanwhile, less than half are from driveable distances in and around New York. This despite the fact that many top players hail from that area...

True, there may be more P5-level players per capita in Florida, but keep in mind: there's also a lot more competition there!
Here's a closer look at Northeastern recruits signed by the Orange over the last 5 years:

Syracuse recruiting, by state:
New York7.14%
New Jersey7.14%
Pennsylvania6.25%
Canada5.36%
Washington DC4.46%
Connecticut3.57%
Michigan3.57%
Maryland2.68%
Massachusetts2.68%
Ohio0.89%
Nearby areas:43.74%

Clemson football: New ACC Commissioner isn’t playing games (rubbingtherock.com; Benedict)

New ACC commissioner James Phillips is not willing to play any of the games that Clemson football head coach Dabo Swinney likes to play when it comes to who he brings to the ACC media days.

Of course, this isn’t going to be popular among the Clemson football fans that believe Coach Swinney can do no wrong, however, he has been wrong on who he brings to the ACC media kickoff for years and it has done more harm than good for the ACC’s reputation over the years.

By no means am I blaming Coach Swinney for the ACC’s reputation but his refusal to bring the program’s star players to the ACC kickoff simply because they were not seniors has always been the wrong decision.

Always.

That is not a knock on anyone that has ever been brought. Every player has always been an amazing representation of the program; however, media and fans want to see the program’s biggest names and at Clemson, that has been quarterbacks for most of the last 10 years.

Never bringing Deshaun Watson or Trevor Lawrence was always the wrong decision and one that Coach Swinney will never be allowed to make moving forward.

Meet the 42 football student-athletes selected to attend the 2021 ACC Football Kickoff, July 21-22. 2021 ACC Football Kickoff Attendees Announced
— ACC Football (@ACCFootball) July 12, 2021
Clemson football is bringing starting quarterback DJ Uiagalelei to the 2021 ACC football kickoff
The ACC announced who each program was bringing to the annual ACC football kickoff and among those will be Clemson football starting quarterback DJ Uiagalelei. Matter of fact, the only program not bringing its starting quarterback will be Syracuse.

Phillips understands that for the league to be recognized among the best that they have to start marketing their start players and in football that will almost always mean quarterbacks – especially at Clemson.

ACC Network to Offer Expansive Coverage of ACC Football Kickoff (ngscports.com)
  • On-Air Personalities from Packer and Durham, The Huddle, and More Will Preview the Season and Report the Latest News and Storylines from the Queen City
  • Interviews with all 14 ACC Football Head Coaches and Participating Student-Athletes from Across the Conference
  • Commissioner Jim Phillips Forum to Air Live July 21 at 9:30 a.m. ET
ACC Network will be live from the ACC Football Kickoff in Charlotte for the first time on July 21-22, for two days of expansive coverage of the conference’s annual football media days. The 24/7 national network dedicated to ACC sports will provide the event’s most robust television coverage to date.

ACC Football Kickoff will feature interviews with head coaches, student-athletes, insiders, and more beginning at 9 a.m. ET each day. Packer and Durham’s Mark Packer and Wes Durham will be on-site at the Westin Charlotte, as will The Huddle team of host Jordan Cornette and analysts Eric Mac Lain, EJ Manuel, and Mark Richt offering insight and analysis and reporting on the buzz surrounding each ACC football team. In addition, Kelsey Riggs and Katie George will report live from the Westin.

ESPN.com will have additional coverage from Charlotte with Andrea Adelson and David Hale breaking down all of the storylines as teams prepare for their preseason camps.

Boston College will be represented by head coach Jeff Hafley, senior offensive lineman Zion Johnson, senior defensive lineman Marcus Valdez and junior quarterback Phil Jurkovec. The Eagles meet the media in Charlotte on Thursday, July 22.

ACC Football Kickoff Programming Highlights

• ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips’ First Forum: New ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips will open ACC Football Kickoff by addressing media in attendance and viewers at home with his first Commissioner’s Forum live at 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday, July 21.
  • Coastal Division on Wednesday, July 21: The ACC’s Coastal Division teams will be first to make their rounds and appearances on ACCN on July 21. Coastal Division teams include Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, North Carolina, Pitt, Virginia, and Virginia Tech.
  • Atlantic Division Teams on Thursday, July 22: The ACC’s Atlantic Division teams will be on full display July 22. Atlantic Division teams include Boston College, Clemson, Florida State, Louisville, NC State, Syracuse, and Wake Forest.

Other

C6RX3ESAXFEFFJLBQJDS64XSNY.jpg

Chedy Hampson, founder and CEO of TCGplayer, points to a rendering showing plans for the company's headquarters at the Galleries of Syracuse on July 26, 2018.Rick Moriarty | rmoriarty@syracuse.com

How Syracuse’s TCGplayer doubled its workforce in a pandemic: 2 moves that made a difference (PS; $; Moriarty)

In the face of a pandemic and economic shutdown, TCGplayer doubled its workforce in the past year and just received $35 million in new financing to help fuel even more growth.

The company, based in downtown Syracuse, operates the largest online marketplace for collectible trading card games like the hugely popular Pokemon and Magic: The Gathering games.

It employs 450 people, with 50 current job openings. That’s up from 221 workers in early 2020 and more than 10 times the number of people TCGplayer employed six years ago. And it makes the company one of the Syracuse area’s largest employers.

What’s driving the rapid growth? We asked CEO Chedy Hampson, who founded TCGplayer in 2008 out of a web design company he helped to start 10 years earlier.

Yes, the coronavirus pandemic helped. People stuck at home during last year’s lockdowns turned to gaming — both the video kind and the less techy trading card kind — for entertainment.

But Hampson said the rapid growth in collectible trading card games actually began in late 2017, more than two years before Covid-19 locked people in their homes. He said he heard from distributors at that time that the market was poised to take off.

“We met with distributors and found out that they were experiencing an explosion in collectibles, primarily sports cards and trading cards, which we deal in, and they were selling out at a rapid pace,” he said. “They were letting us know that something was up, that collectibles were just starting to boom.”

To take full advantage, TCGplayer had to figure out a way to boost its piece of the market.

The company does not print cards. It operates a website, TCGplayer.com, that allows comic book and gaming stores to sell their excess inventory of previously owned cards online.