Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
World-Calligraphy-Day.jpg

Welcome to World Calligraphy Day!

Poets believe there is beauty within the flow of words. Similarly, calligrapher’s find beauty assembling those words on paper in an artistic and beautiful fashion. Furthermore, calligraphers design words in a harmonious, almost romantic elegance, respectively.

Calligraphy is an ancient art form that is one of the oldest forms of communication. Interestingly, calligraphy first appears as early as 200 BC in China. Additionally, this historic art form is apparent in almost every region of the world as the main source of manuscript writing and communication. In early findings, religious documents, such as the original Bible, are written in Biblical Hebrew calligraphy. With western influence, calligraphy would take on a more creative point of view.

SU News

Dino Babers shares status updates for 2 key Syracuse linemen (247sports.com; Bailey)

Syracuse football head coach Dino Babers spoke with media for the second time during preseason camp on Tuesday. Following the completion of his team's first session in shoulder pads, Babers addressed the two glaring absences in the trenches that reporters saw during the open portion of practice.

Redshirt senior defensive tackle McKinley Williams, who was absent on Tuesday, is sick, Babers said, downplaying the severity of the situation from the jump.

"He's just sick," Babers said. "He's not hurt. None of that stuff. He'll be back, full speed."

The sixth-year coach also expressed optimism about redshirt junior guard Dakota Davis, who has been sidelined for the first four days of camp by a lower-right leg injury. Davis watched from the sideline on Tuesday with his foot in a walking boot.

"He's doing really well," Babers said. "We expect him to be with us real soon."

Axe: SU hoops on track for best ACC recruiting class, Babers’ big message (Quick Takes) (PS; $; Axe)

Some quick takes on another big score for Syracuse basketball and the most important thing Dino Babers will say before the start of the 2021 football season after we tip the cap one more time to the World Series champion Onondaga Babe Ruth baseball squad.
Babers’ Big Message

Drop the mic, Dino.

Not that we don’t enjoy hearing from you during Syracuse football training camp, but the Orange head coach may have uttered the most important thing he’ll say on Tuesday before the start of the 2021 season.

Quizzed by my colleague Chris Carlson about the relevance of the spread offense Babers is attached to, the Orange head coach hinted at something else up his sleeve.

“We’re going to do stuff that is different,” Babers said. “When it’s not different, we’ll do some other stuff. But I think you want to be on the cutting edge. The front side of things and not on the back end of things. We’ll still be tempo. We’ll still line up fast and run some plays, but we also want to do some new stuff. Some stuff people haven’t seen us do.”

“I think the biggest thing for Syracuse is not to do what people think you are going to do. That’s a huge advantage for people to prepare one way and then you do something else. If they can figure out what something else is based off this media conversation, then god bless them.”

Can I get an amen?

Power Ranking SU’s Position Groups: Offense – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Eads)

Another wakeup, another day closer to Syracuse Football! The Fizz had you covered all offseason and of course the coverage runs up all the way to and throughout the 2021 season. As we continue the countdown to kickoff, let’s evaluate SU’s position groups on both sides of the ball and rank them. How high each group is slotted will depend on depth, talent, and production.
  • 1. Running Back + Chris Elmore
This is a very easy pick. Syracuse has four running backs that Dino Babers believes could lead the team. Of course there’s Doak Walker Award watch list member Sean Tucker back from a phenomenal freshman season. The Maryland native took 137 carries for 626 yards and four scores. Keep in mind that was in eight FULL games of extended action.

The Orange also got Abdul Adams and Jarveon Howard back after opt-out seasons. Adams has racked up 1,426 yards from scrimmage between his time at Syracuse and Oklahoma. Between 2018 and 2019, Howard ran 144 times for 652 yards and ten touchdowns.

Don’t forget about Cooper Lutz as well! He may be an afterthought to you but the last you saw of #24, he was running for 100 yards against Notre Dame…

30 Minutes In Orange Nation 8-10 (ESPN; Steve & Paulie)

Steve and Paulie hammer home the fact that Syracuse football should be able to beat Ohio week one, react to Joe Lunardi’s not-so-nice placement for SU men’s basketball in his latest Bracketology, argue over the length of last night’s Yankees game and more.

On The Block On Demand 8-10 (ESPN; radio; Axe)

Brent tells you the most important thing that head coach Dino Babers said after practice today and gives a Syracuse men’s basketball recruiting update before Quadir Copeland makes his decision tonight

derrell-smith-serving-food-800x450.jpg

Derrell Smith ’10, G’13, host of Mad Good Food on the Tastemade network, displays the components of his delectable low-country boil, which he created for the show’s summer cookout episode. Photo courtesy of Tastemade.

Recipe for Success - Syracuse.edu (syracuse.edu; Cox)

It’s the “Break Up Meal” episode of the TV show Mad Good Food, and chef and host Derrell Smith ’10, G’13 stands in a bathrobe in the kitchen. He is down in the dumps over lost love—and needs comfort food to lift his spirits. “Everybody loves mac and cheese,” says the former Syracuse University football star turned culinary entrepreneur. “It’s the ultimate crowd pleaser…the ultimate comfort food.” Better yet, he adds lobster to the mix. By episode’s end, Smith has enlivened his wardrobe, shared recipes and rebounded, thanks to his own advice and cooking. “Treat yourself,” he says.

For the self-taught chef, Mad Good Food is the place where he showcases his tantalizing eats, dishes tips on life and cooking, and provides plenty of entertainment. “Mad Good” means “very, very good,” Smith says, attributing the phrase to Black culture, which he wants to respect and honor on the show through stories about his upbringing and experiences. He calls himself “Uncle Rell,” talks lovingly to his herbs and dances with delight as he savors his creation’s flavors. The show premiered in April on the streaming network Tastemade and features eight episodes, including ones devoted to Mother’s Day, Juneteenth and summer cookouts. “Ever heard of a low-country boil?” he asks. “Don’t you fret—because I know all about them.”

Syracuse Football: See where 2021 foes are ranked in pre-season polls (itlh; Adler)

Both CBS Sports and ESPN recently came out with some pre-season rankings for the upcoming campaign, and we’re taking a look at where the majority of Syracuse football opponents are placed.

Just a footnote, the ESPN power rankings are only for the top-25 teams, while Chip Patterson of CBS Sports has rated all 130 squads within the Football Bowl Subdivision.

The Orange starts off the 2021 stanza with a trip on Sept. 4 to Ohio, a group that CBS Sports has at No. 92 overall. The ‘Cuse, for context, is No. 96, according to CBS Sports.

In its 2021 home opener at the Carrier Dome on Sept. 11, Syracuse football will welcome former Big East Conference adversary Rutgers to the Hill. The Scarlet Knights are No. 80, per CBS Sports.

A week later, on Sept. 18, the ‘Cuse will host Albany, an FCS group that is not in either set of rankings. Liberty is No. 33 via CBS Sports, and the Flames head to Central New York on Sept. 24.

Let’s check out where the Syracuse football ACC foes are nationally rated.

CBS Sports has Florida State at No. 52, and the Orange travels to the Seminoles on Oct. 2.

Wake Forest, at No. 49 according to CBS Sports, will come to the Hill on Oct. 9.

In a Friday-night showdown on Oct. 15 at the Dome, Syracuse football will have a daunting challenge when it squares off with Clemson.

The Tigers, more often than not a participant in the College Football Playoff, are ranked No. 2 overall by CBS Sports and No. 3 from ESPN.

The Orange will go on the road versus Virginia Tech on Oct. 23, and CBS Sports has the Hokies at a solid rating of No. 39.

Next up is a home date with Boston College on Oct. 30. The Eagles are No. 42, according to CBS Sports.

Syracuse Football: Here’s why offensive line will be much improved in 2021 (itlh; Fiello)

Can the offensive line stay healthy and hold the line during the 2021 Syracuse football season?

That is the focus of my second part of a 4-part series where I want to tackle issues/concerns I have seen various people share about the upcoming season. If you would like to read part one, you can click here to read it. The four parts I plan to discuss are as follows:

• Is This The Taj Harris Redemption Tour?
  • Can The Offensive Line Tow The Line?
  • Tommy DeVito: Are We Headed To Success City Or Struggle Town?
  • With Winter Coming, Is Coach Babers Sitting Atop Seat Warmers?
If this were Jeopardy and the late, great Alex Trebek was doing this, he’d say, “Darius Tisdale. Dakota Davis. Matthew Bergeron. Airon Servais. Chris Bleich.” My response would be, “Who are 5 prime examples why I have faith in the offensive line of Syracuse Football this season, Alex?”

And as a bonus daily double Alex, I’d like to state that Airon Servais (along with Josh Black and Taj Harris) was one of the players selected as a leader of this team to represent the Orange at the recent ACC Kickoff event in North Carolina.

First off, I have to believe Airon was a representative not just because he’s a senior but because the coaching staff believes he will be a leader in the locker room and on the field. The guy has played plenty at guard and center and if healthy, could be the anchor to this line’s longevity that I feel did get better as 2020 went along.

Better? How? Anyone remember the Notre Dame game in December that allowed Cooper Lutz AND Sean Tucker to both rush for over 100 yards? You can’t do that if your line isn’t at least somewhat effective for you.

2021 Cheap/Expensive Seats (RX; HM)

2021 Cheap/Expensive Seats

Which ACC schools will sell you the cheapest season tickets? Which are the most expensive?

From SU Juice Online:

ACC School#Home GmsCheapest Seats$/gm
Boston College6$99$16.50
Syracuse7$125$17.85
Wake Forest6$120$20.00
Virginia7$149$21.29
Louisville7$175$25.00
Miami7$190$27.14
North Carolina7$195$27.86
Duke7$223$31.86
Florida State7$250$35.71
Virginia Tech7$270

[TD]$38.57[/TD]

[TR]
[TD]NC State[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]$399[/TD]
[TD]$57.00[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Clemson[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]$380 [a][/TD]
[TD]$63.33[/TD]
[/TR]

[a] Plus minimum $160 donation to IPTAY
For fans within a 75 mile radius of Blacksburg
From Orange Watch: The best bargain in college sports is 2021 Syracuse football

Season tickets for $17.85 a game? When compared to NCAA football ticket prices for other ACC and Power 5 conference schools, Syracuse fans can take advantage of the best seven game entertainment value in the country.

That's pretty cheap - although by my calculations, BC is still cheaper.
On the other end of the spectrum is Clemson, which will cost you $63.33 per game for a 6-pack of tickets this season. Props to NC State for getting almost as much as the Tigers - without the gaudy hardware.

Reader asks: How about 6 pods of 3? (RX; HM)

Reader asks: How about 6 pods of 3?

Reader "swardy76" from Boston, MA wrote to suggest this novel realignment/redivision idea:

Hi Mark,
Thought this might be worth a ACCRx post. TCU could be ISU or KU I guess.
I originally posted here:

I would prefer 8 conf games, and rather than 3 pods of 6, 6 pods of 3 with a crossover:

BC (TCU), Syracuse (Cincy), Pitt (WVU)
Cincy (Syracuse), Louisville (OK St.), VT (UVA)
WVU (Pitt), Ok St. (Louisville), TCU (BC)
Clemson (FSU), GT (Miami), NC State (UNC)
UVA (VT), UNC (NC State), Duke (Wake)
FSU (Clemson), Miami (GT), Wake (Duke)

Play the 2 in the pod, the crossover, and 1 from each of the other pods for 8 games.
The top two ranked teams play for the championship.

Best D-I Team, By State, 2021 Preseason (RX; HM)

Best D-I Team, By State, 2021 Preseason

Which is the best Division 1 team (FBS or FCS) in each state? Here's what CBS Sports tweeted:
The best College Football teams by state pic.twitter.com/ItXLFCH9IM
— CBS Sports HQ (@CBSSportsHQ) August 9, 2021
How did the ACC teams fare in states where there is an ACC team?

ST - Best team - ACC? (team)
MA - Boston College - YES
NY - Army - No (Syracuse)
PA - Penn State - No (Pitt)
IN - Notre Dame - YES
KY - Kentucky - NO (Louisville)
VA - Virginia Tech - YES
NC - UNC - YES
SC - Clemson - YES
GA - Georgia - NO (Georgia Tech)
FL - Florida - NO (FSU, Miami)

In other words, ACC teams currently dominate 5 states (MA, IN, VA, NC, SC) but are themselves dominated in 5 others (NY, PA, KY, GA, FL).

Since the ACC wins virtually by default in MA, VA, and NC, that's really only 2 solid wins.

Why does the SEC get more for TV rights? (RX; HM)

Why does the SEC get more for TV rights?

Logically, TV money should be about delivering TV audience, right? I mean, isn't that why a first tier game (T1) is worth more than a second tier (T2) one? In "What is a Tier 1 CFB Game Worth?", we tried to estimate the average values of these games and came up with

T1: $13M each
T2: $4M each
T3: $1M each

What we didn't do, however, is tell you the TV ratings associated with each tier. So I looked at the games actually selected as tier one by the networks (for the SEC, the CBS games; for the ACC, the ABC games) to get a feel for the expected TV ratings of a T1 game.

T1: 3.8 million viewers or more
T2: 0.25 to 3.8 million viewers
T3: less than 250,000 viewers

That's a pretty high bar for the first tier, but you'd think second tier should be easy to achieve, right? You might be surprised as we continue...
Here are the T1 (greater than or equal to 3.80 million viewers) conference games from 2016 through 2019 for both SEC and ACC (I removed non-conference games to avoid confusing the issue, nor did I include the pandemic season of 2020):

SECT1ACCT1
ALA-LSU10.39LOU-CLM9.29
TAM-ALA8.46FSU-LOU6.22
AUB-ALA8.24FSU-MIA5.54
ALA-MS8.17CLM-FSU5.38
ALA-TEN6.58PIT-CLM4.93
TEN-TAM6.55NCS-CLM4.51
FL-TEN5.54
AUB-UGA4.99
FL-UGA4.45
ALA-ARK4.44
FL-ARK4.26
UGA-TEN4.22
LSU-AUB4.1
ARK-TAM3.87

BOZICH | Can trio of 'Football Freaks' lead Louisville's ACC revival? (wdrb; Bozich)

If you are searching for another reason to believe the University of Louisville could exceed expectations in the Atlantic Coast Conference this season, college football insider Bruce Feldman of The Athletic should be your go-to guy.

Feldman, who is also a member of the FoxSports TV crew, has built his following with inside information, sharp analysis and interesting content like his annual College Football Freaks List. The list has been around for more than a decade, and Feldman confirmed its popularity by expanding it from 50 to 101 players this season.

What better way to get you ready for the college football season than with 2021 Freaks list? We rank ‘em from 1 to 101. Tonight is the last day to subscribe for 50% off Bruce Feldman’s 2021 college football Freaks List
— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) August 10, 2021

What qualifies as a College Football Freak?

There’s no right or wrong answer. Most observers will tell you that you’ll know one when you see one: superior speed, leaping ability or weight-lifting stardom helps. Feldman defines it as “guys who generate buzz inside their programs by displaying the rare physical abilities that wow even those who observe gifted athletes every day.”

Here is the most interesting takeaway from Feldman’s list for the 2021 season:

Only four programs put three players on the list. One was Notre Dame. The second was Cincinnati (and the Bearcats were represented by former St. Xavier High School quarterback Desmond Ridder). The third was Wisconsin.

Those three teams are ranked in the USA college football coaches preseason top 25.

The fourth team with a trio of freaks was Louisville: wide receiver Tyler Harrell at No. 11, offensive lineman Trevor Reid at No. 44 and defensive lineman Ashton Gillotte at No. 67.

Locally, two other players were recognized: Indiana safety/linebacker Marcelino McCrary Ball at No. 23 (his third appearance) and Western Kentucky defensive end DeAngelo Malone at No. 66.

Virginia Tech football: Braxton Burmeister named of one college football’s ‘freaks’ (gobblercountry.com; Manning)

When Braxton Burmeister transferred to Virginia Tech three years ago, the Hokies knew they were getting a former four-star prospect who was the very definition of a dual-threat quarterback.

Burmeister came onto the scene last season, leading the Hokies to a dominant win over N.C. State in the season opener. Burmeister didn’t need to throw the ball much, but when he did, he was effective. He also showed how impressive he was as a runner too.

Over the course of the season, Burmeister would start four games for the Hokies, going 3-1. He started the season finale against Virginia and led Virginia Tech to a blowout win over the Cavaliers.

Bruce Feldman’s 2021 college football Freaks List (theathletic.com; $; Feldman)

30. Malik Willis, Liberty, quarterback
He started his college career at Auburn and emerged as a star last year at Liberty under Hugh Freeze. The 6-foot-1, 230-pound junior threw for 2,260 yards, completed 64 percent of his passes, had a 20-6 touchdown-interception ratio, rushed for 944 yards and ran in 14 touchdowns. Possessing one of the most powerful arms in football, he’s got the body of an NFL linebacker and the wheels of a running back. Willis wowed opposing coaches.

“We couldn’t tackle him. He’s got a cannon. From a true physical ability thing, he was special,” Coastal Carolina defensive coordinator Chad Staggs said of Willis, who clocked a 4.50 40 and vertical jumped 38.5 inches. “I was watching pregame, and I’m like, ‘Holy crap!’ He’s throwing deep out to the field and stuff. I’m thinking, ‘Uh-oh!’ He throws an amazing tight spiral. I mean, it comes out of his hand and it pops.”

Big Ten Football: Options for expansion to 16, 18, 20, or 24 teams (saturdayblitz.com; Kay)

The Big Ten needs to expand rather they want to or not and it will not be an easy task to do.

The Big Ten conference and the SEC conference were 1A and 1B in terms of overall relevance and importance in collegiate athletics.

College football by a large margin determines the overall strength and power a conference holds in the collegiate athletics landscape due to the overall revenue and profits power five conferences produce year in and year out.

However, the SEC by adding Oklahoma and Texas and with the rumor that they may also add Clemson and Florida State puts the SEC far and above the Big Ten moving forward once some or all of the above schools join the SEC in the foreseeable future.

The Big Ten can stay put as is or make some moves but expanding its membership.

The expansion of conferences revolves around football. I for one was once naive to believe that college basketball for example was a factor in conference expansion.

Now, I and almost everyone else who follows, monitors, and reports on conference expansion know it is about football based on the enormous amounts of money revolving around the sport. As mentioned previously, there are four factors that drive college expansion.

Even if you decided not to read the article, please look at the following criteria for major conference expansion to 16 or 20 teams. If conferences expand to 32 then you can propose any school from the Big 12 joining one of the four major conferences. pic.twitter.com/POrEo35qLN
— sportswriterKay (@KaySportswriter) July 27, 2021

Now, if non-revenue generating sports costs go up due to travel expenses, etc. then the Big Ten can think outside the box and expand the conference in football only. It could be a good idea especially if the Big Ten expands to the west coast and schools from the Pac-12 would prefer and be more willing to join in football only as opposed to being a full-fledged member of the Big Ten.

Clemson football: ACC coaches talk anonymously about Tigers (rubbingtherock.com; Spencer)

The Clemson football program has absolutely dominated the ACC over the course of the last half-decade and there’s nothing standing in the way of the Tigers continuing that trend here in 2021.

Clemson is currently riding a streak of six-straight ACC Championships and the Tigers are considered the heavy favorite to make it back to Charlotte and compete for another CFB Playoff berth this season.

Athlon Sports released its annual edition of ‘Coaches Talk Anonymously’ and several coaches had high praise for Dabo Swinney and the Clemson football program.

One coach talked about the Tigers being the standard for not just the ACC, but for the rest of the nation.

“They’re losing the top pick in the draft and they’re still a national title favorite,” one coach said.
And another mentioned how the Tigers are so much further ahead of everyone else that it skews the view of others who are improving.

“They’re still the standard, still miles ahead of the Florida schools, still the best in our league top to bottom. They’re at a level that really skews the curve for our league, because there are teams improving, like UNC, but you can’t tell over the course of a year when you compare them to these guys,” another coach said.
Two others talked about the defense and how they expect the unit will be much-improved in 2021 after a bit of down year in 2020.

Other

QF2EMJHNUJFKHNADOWZDQDKCKQ.jpg

Lieutenant Governor of New York Kathy Hochul speaks at a ribbon cutting ceremony in the Bronx borough of New York, Tuesday, May 4, 2021. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File)AP

‘An Upstate perspective’: How Kathy Hochul will run New York (PS; $; Weaver)

Moments before Ben Walsh took office as Syracuse’s mayor, he got a surprise visit from Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul.

Hochul popped into Walsh’s dressing room at the Landmark Theatre to introduce herself as Walsh prepared to take the oath of office in 2018. She chatted with him and his family. She’d come from Albany to be there with Walsh on the biggest day of his nascent political career.

It made an impression.

“She didn’t have to be there,” Walsh said. “I was an independent mayor. Politically it wasn’t really in her best interest. And she’s been there consistently since then.”

Walsh said Hochul has made a point to regularly call him during the coronavirus pandemic to check in. She’d ask what he needed or how things were going in Syracuse. She’s been accessible in a way most Albany leaders aren’t, he said.

“I always got the feeling that she genuinely cared,” Walsh said, “I think especially coming from Syracuse, where we haven’t always felt confident that our representatives in Albany cared.”

Hochul has left a similar mark on many leaders in the area. In her they see someone who listens, who cares and who will fight for what she believes. She’s notorious for frequent visits to upstate New York counties, often crisscrossing the state in a day.

Those same leaders hope she will usher in a new era of state government defined by a more inclusive approach than her predecessor, Gov. Andrew Cuomo. And they’re all excited to have an Upstate New Yorker in the governor’s mansion for the first time in a century.