Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
gobstopper-theater-box1_1_450x_crop_center.jpg

Welcome to Gobstopper Day!

Gobstoppers, commonly called jawbreakers, are enjoyed for hours on end today, for it is Gobstopper Day! They are hard candies—ones so hard that they can't safely be bitten into, and they usually are round, being between one and three centimeters in diameter, but can be larger. Gobstoppers consist of layers that are different colors, and sometimes also different flavors. To make gobstoppers, layers of liquid sugar are deposited multiple times on a core that may be a gumball or a pressed ball of sugar. Natural and artificial flavors are added as well. The process is known as hot panning. It takes place in large heated pans that rotate and is completed in a few weeks' time.

During the years between the two World Wars, gobstoppers were popular candies in the United Kingdom and the Americas, where they were sold by weight from jars in sweet and candy shops. Roald Dahl used the name in his 1964 book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, when he created the Everlasting Gobstopper, a candy that changed flavors and colors as it was sucked on, but never completely dissolved. The 1971 film adaptation of Dahl's book, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, also featured the Everlasting Gobstopper. In 1976, the Everlasting Gobstopper became real candy. Resembling the gobstoppers that were popular early in the century, and named after the gobstopper in Dahl's book, Everlasting Gobstoppers were first manufactured by Breaker Confections, before being purchased by Nestlé. Today we
celebrate these and all other types of gobstoppers!

SU News

Bleav in Syracuse Episode 3 - Three R's: Rutgers, Rough Offense & Referees (SI; podcast; McAllister)

Episode two of the Bleav in Syracuse podcast is now available! In episode one, co-hosts Mike McAllister and Shamarko Thomas broke down the Orange's season opening win over Ohio. In episode three, the co-hosts take a deep dive into Syracuse's home loss to Rutgers. We breakdown the atmosphere of the Carrier Dome with fans back for the first time in nearly two years, the stellar play of the defense, what went wrong offensively including the quarterback situation, what the offensive identity of the team should be moving forward, some questionable calls by the officials and more. Here is how you can download, listen and subscribe.

Former Syracuse DB Named Interim Head Coach of USC Football (SI; McAllister)

Former Syracuse defensive back Donte Williams has been named interim head coach of the USC Trojan football program, following Monday night's surprise firing of Clay Helton just two games into the season. Williams, who played for Syracuse in 2003 as a junior college transfer from Pasadena Community College, was the cornerbacks coach and associate head coach prior to Helton's firing. He played in five games in 2003 for Syracuse, recording just one tackle.

After one year with the Orange, Williams transferred to Idaho State where he played for two seasons before spending two years in the Arena Football League 2.

USC elected to make the move after a 42-28 loss at home to Stanford. The Trojans are 1-1 on the season and play at Washington State on Saturday.

Williams is a "legitimate candidate" to be the full time replacement for Helton, according to Sports Illustrated's USC site, All Trojans. One of the reasons he is a potential long-term option is because of his recruiting prowess. SI All-American's John Garcia Jr. notes that Williams is considered one of the top recruiters in the country.

“Donte Williams is one of the elite recruiters from a national standpoint and from a positional standpoint, with defensive backs, so expect USC to be able to maintain more verbal commitments than otherwise as long as he is at the helm," Garica Jr said via All Trojans.

Athletic DB Ben Labrosse leaves Syracuse football program (247sports.com; Bailey)

One of Syracuse football's top safeties has electively left the program, an SU Athletics spokesperson confirmed. Ben Labrosse, a returning freshman who was slotted as the starting field safety on the Week 1 depth chart, is no longer with the team.

The 6-foot-2, 200-pound Greenfield Park, Quebec, native played sparingly in the Orange's season-opening win at Ohio last weekend. Then he was unavailable for the team's 17-7 loss to Rutgers on Saturday, seemingly not in attendance. New Mexico State transfer Jason Simmons has served as the Orange's primary field safety through two weeks.

The news comes just two weeks after Labrosse delivered a confident approach going into his first season as a projected contributor.

"I want them to test me," he said. "I want them to throw the ball at me. It would be kind of boring if I didn't have any balls thrown at me all game."

Labrosse becomes the third player to leave the program this fall, following Arizona State offensive line transfer Cody Shear and freshman tight end Landon Morris. The reason for Labrosse's decision is not currently clear. He is not listed in the transfer portal, according to a source.

Babers is just as bothered by the offense as you. Will he pivot to win games? (PS; Mink)

Dino Babers had the chance to shower his defense with praise when asked about it during Monday’s press conference.

He could have filibustered his way around more queries about his two quarterbacks and what ails his offense by talking up a unit that held Rutgers to fewer than 200 yards in a 17-7 loss on Saturday.

Instead, when asked about the defense, Babers the turned the conversation back to the theme of the press conference, to what might be the only theme that matters the rest of the season: How will he fix the offense?

“It bothers me that we can play that well on defense and we can’t help,” the sixth-year head coach said. “It frustrates me, and I don’t get frustrated easily.”

There are big decisions being weighed by the staff, Babers said Monday.

The full-time quarterback job is still up for grabs, with Tommy DeVito and Garrett Shrader expected to continue jockeying for it Saturday afternoon against Albany.

Bigger than that, though, is this: Will SU pivot, if only for a while, from the “Orange is the New Fast” slogan that gave its offense an identity?

Orange Watch: Impressive tale of Syracuse football linebackers - The Juice Online (the juice; Bierman)

Item: The football news wasn’t all bad for Syracuse after Saturday’s maddening 17-7 loss to Rutgers, the return of home games played in front of a loud crowd inside the Dome. One of the stalwarts of a great SU defensive effort in the defeat, along with a former Orange standout now excelling in the NFL made their marks on the field.

The Rutgers game was there for the taking, along with the 2-0 record that would have accompanied it. But too many penalties, turnovers, not enough offensive juice, special teams mistakes, and some questionable play calls by the coaching staff contributed to a frustrating finish.

None-the-less, the defensive performance stood out and provides some optimism moving forward that with the ACC up in the air after Clemson, and if the aforementioned items get corrected, granted a big “if,” not all will be lost the remainder of the 2021 season.

Case in point on Monday when the ACC released its weekly Football Players of the Week list:

LINEBACKER – Mikel Jones, Syracuse, Soph., Miami, Fla.

• Registered a team-high 11 tackles and a career-best 2.5 tackles for loss in Saturday’s game versus Rutgers
  • Helped lead the Orange defense to 13.0 tackles for loss in the contest, the fourth-highest single game total to date nationally this season, and the most versus a Power 5 opponent
  • Syracuse held Rutgers to 195 yards of total offense, 57 rushing yards and 3-of-15 on third down
  • Jones currently ranks ninth nationally with 11 tackles per game.
“It (the overall effort) felt good, it gave us confirmation that we’re a great defense,” Jones said when asked about that unit’s performance after a disheartening defeat. “The D-backs, the other (linebackers), the D-line, I saw a big effort from all the guys.”

SU football’s Mikel Jones named ACC linebacker of the week (PS; Curtis)

Syracuse football junior Mikel Jones has been named the Atlantic Coast Conference’s linebacker of the week after his performance against Rutgers.

Jones, a 6-foot-1, 220-pound linebacker, finished with a team-high 11 tackles and a career-high 2.5 tackles for loss in a 17-7 loss to the Scarlet Knights.

Syracuse totaled 13 tackles for loss on Saturday, the fourth-highest single game total across the country this season and the most against a Power Five opponent. The Orange limited Rutgers to only 195 yards of total offense, 57 rushing yards and 3-of-13 third down conversions.

Jones is one of Syracuse’s primary defensive anchors, ranking ninth in the NCAA with 11 tackles per game.

Syracuse Game Saturday: Syracuse vs. Albany prediction, odds, spread, line, over/under and betting info. for week 3 (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football welcomes Albany to the Hill as the 2021 season enters its third week.

Syracuse football had its home debut at the Carrier Dome this past Saturday afternoon. It was terrific to see Orange fans cheering on the ‘Cuse, however, the Syracuse football offense fell flat in a 17-7 loss to former Big East Conference foe Rutgers.

The Scarlet Knights (2-0), now a member of the Big Ten Conference, and the Orange (1-1) played a scoreless first half. After intermission, the Syracuse football defense remained solid, but a few costly mistakes and a struggling offense led to the final result.

The Orange will seek to regroup and regain its mojo when the ‘Cuse hosts another Empire State squad, FCS team Albany, on Saturday, Sept. 18, for an afternoon showdown on the Hill.

Last Saturday, Albany played a closely fought contest at home against Rhode Island. Per an announcement from the Albany athletics department Web site, the Great Danes lost to Rhode Island, 16-14, in an encounter that came down to the final drive.

Syracuse injury report vs. Albany for week 3

For the latest updates on any potential developments on the injury front, I’d recommend taking a look at Syracuse.com.

Syracuse Football: Week 2 review, week 3 preview & (some) positive news (itlh; Fiello)

Our football guru with a look back, and a look ahead, for Syracuse football during the 2021 campaign.

The episode where I, Orange Chuck, brings you a mostly positive outlook on Syracuse football and the state of everything after a frustrating loss.

My Week 2 Syracuse Football Review:

• The Loud House was back! Dang, it felt good to hear the fans loud and proud. I’m an introverted person who often hates being in crowds but when it’s loud in there, I love the Dome field advantage.
  • The Tucker 44 Tracker is now a thing. In my opinion, Sean Tucker was underutilized but when he did play, he was effective, including Syracuse’s lone touchdown. Tucker had only 13 rushes for 56 yards after a game where he had 25 carries for 181. I honestly thought his carries would go up from last week and not down but he definitely had me jumping out of my seat for his touchdown run. I also love the fact that he not only deserves the honor of wearing 44 but in interviews has shown the number and the possibility of wearing it the respect it deserves (he’s a Floyd Little fan as well).
  • The defense was stellar. I don’t remember any turnovers but they were very physical and had several great tackles for losses. Mikel Jones (leading the team with 11 tackles) is definitely a stud and has to be considered one of the best linebackers in the ACC at least as well as a tremendous leader but I saw many players making plays at various times as well that were impactful including Josh Black.
  • A generally unpopular decision but I was okay with that 4th quarter punt late in the game. The defense was as I just stated one of the bright spots in this game and I agree with Coach Dino Babers that going for it on 4th and long isn’t ideal. If they had some momentum and it was 4th and short, I would share in the outrage but what did the offense show leading up to that point in that drive to indicate they could get 10 yards and the first down? I do not see it as a sign of giving up if you want your best asset to be on the field in the hopes they can either stop them quickly or maybe get a turnover.

Week 2 ACC Football Roundup (streakingthelawn.com; Campbell)

Coming out of Week 1 with losses by UNC, Clemson, and Miami, the ACC was licking its wounds and being dragged by the football media from coast to coast.

Things were looking up in Week 2 after the early games.

And then the night games started.

Here’s how Week 2 went in the ACC.

Duke Blue Devils 45 - North Carolina A&T 17

After being down 7-0 entering the 2nd quarter, Cutcliffe and Gang got on the right track. Blue Devils did what they were supposed to against an FCS team.

Virginia Cavaliers 42 - Illinois Fighting Illini 14

Hoos dominated from start to finish in this one. Brennan Armstrong likely locked up another ACC QB of the week with 405 yards passing and 5 TDs. The Hoos still struggled to establish a running game, which could be problematic in weeks to come.

Wake Forest 41 - Norfolk State 16

Like Duke, Wake took care of their FCS opponent and were up 41-9 entering the 4th quarter and able to coast. QB Sam Hartman threw for 244 yards and only 1 TD, but three Deacs had rushing TDs.

Georgia Tech 45 - Kennesaw State 17

The Yellow Jackets bounced back after an embarrassing defeat last week to handle their FCS opponent. Their schedule is still impossible the rest of the way, but HC Geoff Collins will take bright spots wherever he can.

Pittsburgh 41 - Tennessee 34

The conference win of the week was Pittsburgh without a doubt. The Panthers outscored the Volunteers 27-10 in the 2nd quarter and matched TDs in the 2nd half to hold on for a good win. No, Tennessee probably isn’t great, but any ACC win over the SEC is good for us all.

Rutgers 17 - Syracuse 7

The Orange gave their fanbase hope last week traveling to Ohio and dominating the Bobcats. Syracuse won the yards battle, but an interception and 2 fumbles lost allowed Rutgers to come out on top.

ACC Football Power Rankings, Sept. 13: NC State drops, Kenny Pickett and Pitt handle business - ACCSports.com (accsports.com; Geisinger)

All 14 teams have played two games, including plenty of twist and turns. With that in mind, let’s react (irrationally) in this week’s ACC Football Power Rankings.

1. Clemson

• Refreshed from not having to go up against Georgia’s defense, the Tigers cruised to a victory in the home opener. Clemson defeated South Carolina State 49-3. Justyn Ross caught his first touchdown pass in nearly two full years, dating back to Clemson’s 2019 ACC title game domination of Virginia.
2. Virginia Tech
  • Virginia Tech continued to run the ball well in a 35-14 win over Middle Tennessee State and former NC State quarterback Bailey Hockman. Raheem Blackshear posted two rushing touchdowns.
3. Pittsburgh
  • With veteran QB Kenny Pickett at the controls, Pitt’s offense load great on the road vs. Tennessee. While Pickett threw for 285 yards and two touchdowns, Tennessee split its quarterback duties between two transfers: Hendon Hooker (Virginia Tech) and the erratic Joe Milton (Michigan).
4. Tied: North Carolina, Boston College

• Playing in front of home fans and an inferior opponent, Sam Howell looked really good — posting an impressive dual-threat performance.
Sam Howell bounced back in Week 2
21/29
352 passing yards
104 rushing yards
5 total TDs#CFB pic.twitter.com/AaT6ZGysNS
— PFF College (@PFF_College) September 12, 2021

Boston College

• Boston College took care of business with a 45-28 win over UMass; however, it came with a cost, too. Zay Flowers and Phil Jurkovec, BC’s two offensive stars, both suffered injuries. Flowers returned to the game, which was encouraging. Jurkovec’s status for next week’s matchup with Temple is unclear, though.
BC head coach Jeff Hafley says that he just met with the team doctors. He says QB Phil Jurkovec (hand/wrist) got scans + X-rays, and the medical staff is supposed to get back to him this afternoon about Jurkovec's status.
"All I know is he kind of fell on it when he went down."
— Andy Backstrom (@andybackstrom) September 12, 2021

6. Virginia
  • Through two games, including a win over Illinois, Virginia’s offense (2-0) leads the ACC in yards per play (8.04) and yards per game (550.5).
It's past time to take notice of Brennan Armstrong. In his last seven games…
QBR (74.6)
Pass YPG (297.7)
Rush YPG (51.7)
TD resp for (24)
Team W-L (6-1)
— Bryan Ives (@awaytoworthy) September 12, 2021

7. Miami
  • Given the disparity of size and athleticism, Miami’s two-point victory over Appalachian State may seem underwhelming. However, beating App State is nothing to sneeze at: you take what you can get.
8. Wake Forest
  • Wake Forest trailed for a brief period before blowing the doors off Norfolk State, 41-16. Still, we’ll know more about Wake Forest after next weekend’s matchup against Florida State in Winston-Salem.
9. NC State
  • NC State took its show on the road for a rather embarrassing defeat at the hands of Mississippi State. It was a disastrous offensive performance for the Pack. Quarterback Devin Leary attempted 49 passes for a total of 140 yards — an average of 2.9 yards per attempt.
10. Tied: Louisville, Duke
  • Louisville breezed by Eastern Kentucky (30-3) and improved to 1-1 on the season. Duke got to .500, too, with 45-17 win over North Carolina A&T.
12. Syracuse
  • Syracuse fell in a snoozer of a matchup between Power 5 programs — dropping a home game to Rutgers, 17-7.
13. Georgia Tech
  • Jordan Yates had a really nice game — four touchdown passes, 11.0 yards per pass attempt — as Georgia Tech defeated Kennesaw State, 45-17.
14. Florida State
  • Welp.
These poor FSU cheerleaders. pic.twitter.com/GnPkAqfnlV
— Michael Casagrande (@ByCasagrande) September 12, 2021

Double Down 9-13 (ESPN; radio; Tommy & Michael)

Tommy and Michael are back after a long weekend of football betting to recap SU’s loss to Rutgers, the Bills loss to the Steelers, and more of the best games of the weekend.

On The Block On Demand 9-13 (ESPN; radio; Axe)

Brent is back after a full weekend of football to discuss Syracuse’s 17-7 loss to Rutgers and takes some calls sharing the frustration from SU’s loss.

Exit 31 09-13-21 (ESPN; radio; Rain & Spencer)

On today’s Exit 31, Rain and Spencer talk to Stephen Bailey from 247 Sports Syracuse, Chris Stacy from NYY Sports Talk and Alex Sims from WSYR, plus more!

Listen here!

P5 OOC Wins Since 2013 (RX; HM)

P5 OOC Wins Since 2013

P5 non-conference teams beaten since 2013:
Here's a list of the P5 opponents taken down by each ACC school over the last 8 years and 2 weeks...

Boston College3Rutgers, Maryland, USC
Clemson6Texas A/M, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia
Duke5Baylor, Kansas, Indiana, Northwestern, Notre Dame
Florida State6Ole Miss, Michigan, Auburn, Oklahoma St, Florida, Notre Dame
Georgia Tech4Vanderbilt, Mississippi St, Kentucky, Georgia
Louisville4Rutgers, Texas A/M, Purdue, Kentucky
Miami4W Virginia, Nebraska, Florida, Notre Dame
NC State3Arizona State, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame
N Carolina2Illinois, S Carolina
Pitt3Notre Dame, Penn State, Tennessee
Syracuse2W Virginia, Minnesota
Virginia2S Carolina, Illinois
Virginia Tech5W Virginia, Purdue, Arkansas, Ohio State, Notre Dame
Wake Forest2Texas A/M, Indiana
* I didn't count the Syracuse win over Maryland because it was an ACC game.

It's probably no surprise that Clemson and Florida State have beaten the most different P5 teams (6 each), with Virginia Tech hot on their trail (5)... but I doubt you expected to see a 5 beside Duke! Call them the masters of scheduling easy P5 opponents - and catching Notre Dame at the right time!

On the flip side, the most disappointing teams have been N. Carolina, Syracuse, Virginia and Wake Forest, all with just two P5 pelts (and if I'm not mistaken, just 2 total wins).

No way should this table fit so neatly on a single page!

ACC FB on TV, Week of Sep 24-25 (RX; HM)

ACC FB on TV, Week of Sep 24-25

From the official ACC press release...
ACC Announces Football Game Times & Networks for September 24-25
GREENSBORO, N.C. (theACC.com) – The Atlantic Coast Conference announced the following football game times and networks for the week of Sept. 24-25.

Friday, Sept. 24

Wake Forest at Virginia, 7 p.m., ESPN2 (previously announced)
Liberty at Syracuse, 8 p.m., ACCN (previously announced)

Saturday, Sept. 25

Missouri at Boston College, Noon, ESPN2
Richmond at Virginia Tech, Noon, ACCN
New Hampshire at Pitt, Noon, ACCNX/ESPN+
Central Connecticut at Miami 12:30 p.m., RSN
Clemson at NC State, 3:30 p.m., ABC or ESPN (network designation after games of Sept. 18)
Louisville at Florida State, 3:30 p.m., ESPN2
Kansas at Duke, 4 p.m., ACCN
North Carolina at Georgia Tech, 7:30 p.m., ACCN
All times are Eastern.

Beware the Culture of Losing! (RX; HM)

Beware the Culture of Losing!

It's disgusting to see some of the poor effort I'm seeing from certain ACC football teams - and it's not just this year, it's been a few years now. Anyone can lose a game, but when it happens over and over, it's no longer just a loss. There are two ACC football programs in particular which have what you might call "problems within the culture": NC State and Syracuse. After what I've seen in recent years, coupled with what happened this weekend, I have to question if the Wolfpack or the Orange know howto win big non-conference games.
The last time NC State beat a P5 team out-of-conference was four years ago, in the 2017 Sun Bowl (Arizona St); for Syracuse, the last time they beat a non-conference opponent not named West Virginia was eight years ago, in the 2013 Texas Bowl (Minnesota). Neither team has won a single regular season P5 OOC game since their last P5 bowl win, either.
What's going on here? Let's take a look to see if we can figure anything out...

Here's a small bit from Familiar refrain for NC State is extra frustrating for a team that is supposed to be differentposted on the NC State blog BackingThePack:

...The Pack had a chance to calm things down in the first 20 minutes when it crossed the Mississippi State 35-yard line three times. It scored three points on those three drives. State outgained the Bulldogs 106-5 in the first quarter and somehow trailed 7-0 at the end of it. If there was ever a stat to summarize why NC State has a hard time getting anyone to care about it, that’s it right there...
In 2016, it went to ECU and trailed 12-0 at the end of the first quarter. In 2017, it doubled South Carolina in yardage and lost... In 2019, it got blown out by a terrible West Virginia team... it’s less about the loss and more about how it happened. State failed to be the aggressor in every single one of the games. It didn’t score first in any of them, and it spent the entirety of each trying to respond...

Yeah, this seems to be a habit for the Wolfpack. Matt Zemeck also has an excellent article posted on AllSportsDiscussion called "Why can't North Carolina State get over the hump?" Recommended.

What happened to Syracuse?

Playing at home in a game that was understood to be very important for recruiting in the state of New Jersey, 'Cuse had a promising enough start, driving to the Rutgers 16 on their second possession. However, they promptly fumbled the ball away - no points! The teams traded punts for the rest of the half, until finally, on their last possession of the first half, the Orange drove to the Rutgers 20... they weren't able to move any closer, so they attempted a field goal, which was missed... 0-0 at halftime.

Unbeaten - 2021 after Week 2 (RX; HM)

Unbeaten - 2021 after Week 2

Which teams haven't lost a game yet?

P5 Conferences

ACC: Boston College, Pitt, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, and Notre Dame.
B1G: Michigan St, Penn State, Maryland, Michigan, Rutgers, Iowa, Purdue
Pac-12: Oregon, Arizona St, UCLA
SEC: Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, S Carolina, Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Miss. St, Ole Miss, Texas A&M
XII: Baylor, Kansas St, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, TCU, Texas Tech

Ind: Army, BYU, Liberty, Notre Dame

G5 Conferences

AAC: Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU, UCF
C-USA: Charlotte, Marshall, UTSA
MAC: none
MWC: Air Force, New Mexico, Utah St, Wyoming, Nevada, San Diego St
SBC: Coastal Carolina, S. Alabama

Other

https://www.syracuse.com/entertainm...hes-3-story-mural-on-northside-video.html(PS; Tulloch)

Artist Jacqueline Colello’s painting style is bold, colorful and most of all, big.

She’s best known for her large canvas paintings of glamorous women and blooming florals. But in the last few years, Colello has graduated to massive mural work at multiple restaurants and salons in Central New York.

She completed her latest piece on Sept. 13: a three-story portrait of a woman swinging in a purple dress, surrounded by doves and roses. Anyone can see it while walking or driving toward downtown on North Salina Street.

The mural honors Francesca Angeloro, the beloved grandmother who inspired the popular Italian restaurant Francesca’s Cucina.

The restaurant’s owner George Angeloro had wanted a mural on his building for some time, but hadn’t pursued an artist until Colello reached out to him directly with her ideas.

“I gave Jackie some photographs of my grandmother when she was young, but she had total creative freedom,” said Angeloro. “[The mural] turned out very cool. I hope it brings happiness and joy to people who see it.”

Last edited: