Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Diversity-Globe-with-Multicultural-People-01-1-696x696.jpg

Welcome to Multicultural Diversity Day!

Cleorah Scruggs, who began teaching social studies in Flint, Michigan, in 1970, wanted to bring a focus to diversity in her classroom, and then had the idea that every school in Michigan should have a diversity program. Her idea was approved by the Michigan Education Association (MEA), and she then took it to the National Education Association (NEA). In 1993, the Representative Assembly of the NEA adopted it nationwide, to "increase awareness of the tremendous need to celebrate our diversity collectively." With this, Multicultural Diversity Day was born. The day is observed by educators, who focus special attention on multiculturalism and diversity in their classrooms during it.

Diversity can be defined as the sum of ways people are both different and alike. It includes many facets, such as race, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, language, culture, mental and physical ability, class, and immigration status. According to the NEA, diversity enriches everyone and its many components help form the fabric of society. Acceptance of diversity is a part of social justice. The NEA has said that education should play a role in fostering values of acceptance and appreciation of individuals in diverse populations, and they believe that curricula, observances, and programs focused on diversity are important.

SU News

Football roundtable: After 3 close losses, beat writers review 2021 season (DO; Staff)

For the first time since 1981, Syracuse has played four games that have been decided by three points or less. The Orange beat Liberty on a field goal as time expired then lost in the same fashion against Florida State the following week. They lost in overtime to Wake Forest and then in regulation after a missed field goal against Clemson.

With five games remaining in SU’s season — all against conference opponents — our beat writers reflected on where the Orange stand.

1. How have your expectations changed since the start of the season?

Roshan Fernandez: The phrase that Syracuse head coach Dino Babers and players have repeatedly said is “this isn’t like last year.” The Orange were adamant before the season began that they’d made significant progress from their 1-10 season last year, the program’s worst record since 2005. Through seven games so far, they’ve proved that to be true — and then some. SU was a few plays away from sitting at 6-1, but its comeback fell short against Clemson, Wake Forest caught an electrifying touchdown pass in overtime and the officials missed a holding call against Florida State. The Orange have a tough schedule remaining, but they seem to have the right defensive and offensive schemes in place. I didn’t expect to see this competitive of a Syracuse team. Even if SU loses three of its remaining five games, which is quite possible with matchups against Pitt, Louisville and NC State, the Orange will have still exceeded expectations because they’ve shown immense potential. But with the ACC wide open and without its usual frontrunners, SU has the pieces to make a potential run at bowl eligibility with three wins over its remaining five games.

Connor Smith: Going into the season, I had Syracuse finishing 5-7 — I expected the Orange to move through their non-conference slate with a 4-0 record and have a midseason slump before picking up a win over Boston College, Wake Forest or Pitt. Through seven games, that has held up for the most part. SU went 3-1 in non-conference play, only losing a low-scoring game against Rutgers at home. The fall of former ACC heavyweights in Clemson (4-2) and Florida State (2-4) could’ve helped Syracuse in the conference standings, but instead, the Orange are in last place with an 0-3 record. The fact that SU has struggled in ACC play is unsurprising — Dino Babers is just 13-32 against conference foes since becoming head coach in 2016. But in this year’s wide-open ACC, there are still wins to pick up against Boston College (4-2), Virginia Tech (3-3) and Louisville (3-3). It is surprising how well Syracuse has competed during the last three games, but record-wise, this is about where I expected SU through seven games.

Anish Vasudevan: Before the start of the season, I had Syracuse going 4-8, only winning two games in ACC play. So far that’s been accurate, since the Orange have not won a game yet in conference matchups, and they currently have a 3-4 record. Syracuse has been taking baby steps in the right direction, which was expected as it couldn’t get much worse than last season’s 1-10 finish. The Orange are at the bottom of the ACC, and they will probably remain there for the rest of the season with only one more conference win, maybe against Virginia Tech. Defensively, Syracuse has exceeded my expectations, as it’s been able to hold some of the most dynamic offenses in football to 21 or fewer points. If the Orange want a chance to win five games, that starts with the 3-3-5 and depends on if the system can dominate for the rest of the year.

2. Outside of Sean Tucker, who is Syracuse’s most important player for the rest of the season?

Fernandez: Quarterback Garrett Shrader has been the most crucial addition between this year and last year’s team. His arm isn’t as talented as Tommy DeVito’s, but Shrader’s legs have created a significant threat for SU’s offense. Either the Orange hand the ball off to Tucker, or they motion Tucker one way, draw defenders and let Shrader scramble in the other direction. Shrader’s working to improve his arm — Clemson was a particularly poor outing for him — but he’s still the clear option for the Orange moving forward. If he can improve his accuracy and decision-making on short and medium throws — which is most of SU’s throwing game — and hit an occasional deep ball, his legs and Tucker’s will take care of the rest.

Bleav in Syracuse Episode 13: Breaking Down Clemson Loss (SI; podcast; Bleav)

Bleav in Syracuse podcast episode 13 is out! Mike McAllister and Kyle Leff recap the Orange's 17-14 loss to Clemson.
Apple Podcasts: LINK
Stitcher: LINK
iHeart Radio: LINK
Spotify: LINK

You can also listen to the podcast on the Bleav website HERE.

Syair Torrence Enjoys Syracuse Visit (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2024 Syracuse (N.Y.) Christian Brothers wide receiver Syair Torrence is one of the best prospects in the Empire State in his cycle. Torrence has offers from Buffalo and Syracuse, with interest from schools such as Baylor, Colorado St. and Rutgers. Torrence was on the Syracuse campus for an unofficial visit to watch the Orange face Wake Forest recently.

"It was great," Torrence said. "I learned a lot there. The coaches is fun to be around. I talked to some coaches I met before and met a couple new coaches, but overall I had a great time there."

One of the big highlights of the visit was spending time with the Syracuse coaching staff.

"I could just be myself around them, I don’t have to switch up," Torrence said. "I talk to coach Maddox, coach Gigliotti, and it’s one more coach I keep forgetting his name I know he gonna be mad at me but he knows who I’m talking about. They just really told me I’m doing great and they like what they seeing from me and keep up the good work."

Torrence attended Syracuse's game against Wake Forest and watched the Orange battle the 19th ranked team in the country, at the time, down to the wire. He was impressed by the game day atmosphere.

"The dome was exciting," Torrence said. "The fans were loud and great. They played great although they didn’t come out with a win."

Torrence added that as it is still very early in the recruiting process for him, he is still evaluating all of his options. No favorites at this time.

Shrader-Clemson-678x381.jpg

Oct 15, 2021; Syracuse, New York, USA; Syracuse Orange quarterback Garrett Shrader (16) passes the ball as Clemson Tigers linebacker James Skalski (47) defends during the first half at the Carrier Dome. Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

3 takeaways from Syracuse football's 17-14 loss to Clemson - The Juice Online (the juice; Gustin)

In a defensive battle on Friday evening, Clemson used its raw talent—and a missed potential game-tying field goal by Andre Szmyt—to escape Syracuse with a win. Here are the biggest takeaways from the Orange’s third straight loss:

#1: The defense continues to be a strength

Syracuse’s third straight loss can’t be pinned on its defense.

The Orange, which game into the game with a top 20 defense in the FBS, only allowed 17 points, and just 323 total yards.

One of those touchdowns, allowed at the end of the second quarter, was more attributable to Syracuse’s special teams, which surrendered a first down on a fake punt that landed the Tigers inside the red zone.

SU’s defense was even more staunch in the second half, allowing just a field goal. The one thing it was missing, however, on its resume was a turnover.

#2: Sean Tucker closes in on 1,000

Another game, another 100 yard rushing effort for Syracuse back Sean Tucker.

Tucker continues to shine with Cuse (spectrumlocalnews.com; video; Callaway)

It seemed like every time Sean Tucker touched the ball against Clemson, the Orange Empire erupted. The freshman is the real deal, racking up 157 yards against the nation's second-ranked defense in points allowed per game. Friday night's loss was Tucker's fifth straight 100-yard rushing game, which tied a school record.

"It definitely means a lot. Wouldn't be able to do any of that without my O-Line, coming to work each week, blocking, making holes for me each game," Tucker said.

Next up for the Orange will be a road game at Virginia Tech. Kickoff in Blacksburg will be at 12:30.

Clemson vs Syracuse quick reaction & recap 2021 College Football (youtube; video; Winning Cures Everything)

Clemson vs Syracuse quick reaction & recap 2021 College Football

https://clemson./news/swinney-on-pitt-syracuse-offensive-line-uiagalelei (r1vals.com; Staff)

Sunday evening Clemson head football coach Dabo Swinney addressed members of the media in his weekly teleconference, this time to speak more on his team's 17-14 win over Syracuse and also look ahead to a week of preparation ahead of next Saturday's matchup with No. 23 Pitt (5-1, 2-0).

The No. 24-ranked Tigers (4-2, 3-1) are a 3.5-4-point underdog to the Panthers. The two teams will square off at 3:30 p.m. ET next Saturday in a game televised by ESPN.

The following is an abbreviated transcript from Swinney's Sunday evening teleconference.

OPENING STATEMENTS: "Great win by our guys against Syracuse, a division opponent. We certainly made it hard on ourselves in a lot of areas. We have a resilient team. We have had four straight one possession games. The guys are playing hard. It is frustrating to see us struggle offensively and miss so many opportunities, but we have to keep grinding. Sooner or later we will work our way through it. It's all about winning, though, and we won on the road, so I am proud of that. Guys are playing hard and compete.

"No turnovers, and that's two games in a row which is a positive. We had red zone touchdowns. I thought D.J. had his best game. We had five drops and he missed a couple of throws. But two games in a row and I think he is heading in the right direction. Trotter did a solid job, outside of the obvious (snap). Davis Allen was tremendous. We did make some big plays but again, too many missed opportunities. The drops were huge and the snap was critical. We had some missed blocks, especially outside at receiver. Just overall consistency is an area where we have to improve. It takes 11, not eight or nine or ten.

"Defensively, the name of the game is points and we did hold them to 14 points. Our coverage wasn't as good. It's the worst we have been in the rush game as far as yards-per-carry. We held them to 26 yards overall in the second half, so we made some good adjustments there. We had several PBU's, most on the season, but we also gave up the biggest pass play on the season. The interception was huge. We had several missed tackles that cost us. They were two-for-two on fourth down. A lot of mistakes, but again, guys kept battling and competing.

"Our special teams have been the difference in the game the last two weeks. We did some good things there.

Orange Press Pass - Syracuse vs. Clemson Football - CitrusTV (citrustv.com; video; Melito, Silverman & Tow)

Orange Press Pass – Syracuse vs. Clemson Football

‎'Cuse Militia Podcast: Episode 326- Syracuse Football: Clemson Post-Game! on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Cuse Militia)

What's up Cuse Nation?!?! Another game, another three point loss...disappointing, yes. But this Orange team has five games left to make a bowl game and at the very least I think this team can shock some people if they clean up some of the little stuff.

Dino Babers is ruining Syracuse football.

Syracuse Football: When it comes to 44, it’s not complicated, it’s just time (itlh; Abramo)

I’ll never understand why in his infinite wisdom former Syracuse AD Daryl Gross decided that the right thing to do for the Syracuse football program was to take one of the few truly unique chips that the University had off the table and take the number 44 out of the rotation for good.

I never have understood that, and never will.

That decision was the marketing equivalent of hiring Greg Robinson as the head coach of the Syracuse football program.

0 for 2, Daryl.

I mean, all I hear is how hard it is to recruit players to Syracuse. I get it. It snows. So what sense does it make, in that event, to take one of our most effective recruiting tools and stick it in a glass case of sorts, in sight but completely out of reach? A retired number that, by its nature, was never meant to be retired.

It’s time to bring back number 44 at Syracuse football.

Indeed, this isn’t a typical retired number. This isn’t Michael Jordan’s legendary 23, or Larry Bird’s 33, each of which absolutely warrants a lifetime retirement by the NBA’s Bulls and Celtics respectively.

And it’s not Jackie Robinson’s 42, which is justifiably retired from the sport of baseball for good. No, Syracuse’s 44 is and always has been the University’s number. The Program’s number. The Community’s number. It’s a number that has been borrowed by and bestowed upon truly exceptional players, each one of whom knew from the second that the number was adorned on their backs it would have to be given back.

Axe: Tommy DeVito will go down as one of SU's biggest ‘what ifs’ (PS; $; Axe)

Dino Babers was in attendance at the broadway hit “Jersey Boys” when he got the call from Tommy DeVito that he was coming to Syracuse.

Can you align the stars better than getting a commitment from a Tommy DeVito of this generation as you watch the musical about a Tommy DeVito from a previous time?

Five years later, DeVito will “Walk Like a Man” away from Babers and Syracuse football, announcing on Sunday night that he is entering the transfer portal.

Orange Nation pic.twitter.com/cXcj0QqR5c
— Tommy DeVito (@tommydevito007) October 18, 2021

DeVito’s career will go down as one of Syracuse football’s biggest “what ifs.”

DeVito’s four-star ranking and status in the Elite 11 group Class of 2016 with names like Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa, Georgia’s Jake Fromm and Texas’ Sam Ehlinger tantalized Syracuse football fans.

Babers had found some early success with some of Scott Shafer’s leftovers, namely with quarterback Eric Dungey.

DeVito was the big-armed heir apparent and came in ready to challenge for the lead singer role.

He pushed Dungey for playing time during the 2018 season, hitting the field in Syracuse’s opening win against Western Michigan.

He stepped in for an injured Dungey and sealed a 30-7 victory over Florida State, going 11-of-16 for 144 yards and a touchdown.

Virginia Tech football: 5 takeaways from Hokies’ 28-7 loss to Pitt (gobblercountry.com; Manning)

The Virginia Tech Hokies fell to 3-3 on the season after a 28-7 loss to the Pittsburgh Panthers on Saturday at Lane Stadium. It was one of the ugliest performances in recent Virginia Tech history — and believe me, there have been a few.

Saturday’s loss was demoralizing on multiple levels. You knew last week this was going to get ugly. So, when Virginia Tech’s defense kept the team in it, you felt a little bit of hope until the offense hit the field, and all that hope was sucked away.

The Hokies fall to 1-1 in ACC play after the loss.

Now, here are our five takeaways from another depressing day in Blacksburg:

The offensive game plan was.....

I don’t know know what the offensive game plan was for the Hokies on Saturday. The defense set the tone early, forcing a three and out on Pitt’s first possession. So, after an ugly punt, Tech gets the ball in good field position. What do they do with it?

Three incomplete passes. Pitt gets the ball back and scores. So, how do Brad Cornelsen and the Hokies respond? Quite well, at least initially. On the fourth play of the drive, quarterback Braxton Burmeister found freshman Da’Wain Lofton for 29 yards across the middle of the field. Three plays later, facing a fourth and 1, Burmeister goes for the quarterback sneak, and the Hokies do not make it.

This is just a sample of Tech’s day offensively. All year, the Hokies have not thrown the ball downfield. So, in the game against Pitt, Burmeister attacks down the field all game — with little success. Look, I love the aggressive nature of attacking a defense down the field, but you don’t throw deep balls just to say, “we threw deep balls.”

Where was this strategy in earlier weeks? And of all days for Cornelsen to want to throw down the field, he does it on a windy in Blacksburg. Just confusing overall. I understand the Hokies couldn’t run the ball, but they didn’t know that going in. Cornelsen thought he was outsmarting everyone with all of the deep balls.

I loved the pass to Lofton. One, it was good to see the talented young man on the field finally. He is a player unless this staff is around long enough to ruin him. Secondly, I loved in-breaking routes. You have a quarterback who is not really a deep-ball guy, so why not use more in-breaking routes? The Hokies could’ve had a ton of success in the middle of the field but instead opted for high-percentage throws outside the numbers.

No. 22 North Carolina State beats Boston College 33-7 (theacc.com)

Thayer Thomas knew the pass wasn't intended for him. Then he realized he had a chance to catch it.

''On that play I'm not even a viable option,'' Thomas said after his leaping catch from Devin Leary on a broken play led to a 79-yard touchdown that helped No. 22 North Carolina State beat Boston College 33-7 on Saturday night.

''It's kind of just like a scramble play,'' Thomas said. ''My job is to set the pick for somebody coming underneath me. Devin just went right, he found me and I just had to kind of make a play for him.''

The game was tied 7-7 with just seconds left in the first half when the Wolfpack ran their kicking unit out to squeeze in a 27-yard field goal before time expired. They then added three touchdowns in the third quarter - two of them off back-to-back BC turnovers - to turn a tie game into a 31-7 blowout.

N.C. State added a safety in the final four minutes to seal its third straight victory. Coach Dave Doeren said he hopes it sends a message to those who doubt whether the Wolfpack (5-1, 2-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) are for real.

''I mean, look, I can't control the lack of respect that we seem to get, publicly. We know about it. Out team recognizes that people don't think we're good,'' he said. ''We're going to end up where we're supposed to be at the end of the year, and people will think what they think.''

Leary threw for 251 yards and three touchdowns, also completing a 40-yard scoring pass on the opening drive on a throw that bounced off the back of the defender before Devin Carter gathered it in.

The Wolfpack made it 17-10 when BC punter Grant Carlson muffed the snap after the Eagles' opening possession of the second half, and Devan Boykin picked up the ball and ran in from 34 yards out. After Isaiah Moore intercepted Dennis Grosel on a pass that bounced off the receiver's hands, Leary hit Dylan Parham from 4 yards out.

''The 14 points, like that,'' BC coach Jeff Hafley said, snapping his fingers, ''we just couldn't recover from. We were down at that point 24-7, and just felt like a little bit too much at that time.''

On N.C. State's next possession, Leary scrambled right and lobbed the ball about 10 yards downfield, where Thomas leaped in front of tight end Christopher Toudle, brought the ball down and ran it the last 61 yards for the score.

Thomas caught four passes for 122 yards, and Emeka Emezie had two catches to become the Wolfpack's all-time leader in pass receptions, with 203.

The Wolfpack tackled BC running back Peter Stehr in the end zone with 3:39 left for a safety.
Grosel completed 21 of 39 passes for 194 yards for the Eagles (4-2, 0-2), who have lost back-to-back games against ranked teams since opening the season with four straight wins.

ACC Panic Room: NC State understood the assignment (wralsportsfan.com;l video; Brownlow & Ovies)

Lauren Brownlow and Joe Ovies discuss NC State's win at Boston College, North Carolina surviving against Miami, and the potential of coaching changes in the Coastal.

2021 ACC Football Touchdown Remix: Week 7 - Stadium (watchstadium.com; video)

Another exciting weekend of ACC football is in the books. Check out all the great touchdown catches, touchdown runs, defensive scores, and special teams scores that happened in Week 7 of the ACC.

Pitt already looking forward to making ACC statement against Clemson (greenvilleonline.com; Shanesy)

Like most college football teams, Pitt has a loosely regulated 24-hour rule during which the next opponent is not mentioned after a game until a day later.

That apparently changed for the Panthers immediately following a 28-7 win Saturday at Virginia Tech. In the tunnel to the locker room and once inside, according to reports, players were already talking about playing Clemson. The Tigers and Panthers will square off in a 3:30 p.m. contest Saturday, Oct. 23, at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh.

Pitt quarterback Kenny Pickett could make statements about the races for ACC and Heisman Trophy this week against Clemson.

Pitt quarterback Kenny Pickett huddled teammates together and got a fired-up response to his statement that the Panthers were ready to take on Clemson, winner of six straight ACC titles and two national championships during that span.

Pitt is 5-1 overall, 2-0 in the ACC Coastal Division. Clemson is 4-2, 3-1. The Tigers, heavy preseason favorites, are behind Wake Forest (6-0, 4-0) and N.C. State (5-1, 2-0) in the Atlantic Division.

Pitt is the second-highest scoring team in the FBS, 48.3 points per game, barely dropping behind Coastal Carolina’s 48.8 last week. That average was boosted by 77 points against New Hampshire, but the Panthers also put 41 on Tennessee and 52 on Georgia Tech, against whom Clemson scored only 14.

JHowell's Picks for 2021 Week 8 (RX; HM)

JHowell's Picks for 2021 Week 8

From JHowell.net:

Below are the projections through the games of 10-23-21. Games against non-rated teams are excluded. The favorite is listed first with the projected margin of victory (i.e., the line) in parenthesis. 'TP' represents the total number of points expected to be scored in the game and 'Odds' represents the odds of the favorite winning straight-up (not against-the-spread).

Saturday, October 23, 2021

#15-Notre Dame (-16.5) vs. #76-Southern California (TP=57 Odds=.793)
#16-Wake Forest (-6) @ #54-Army (TP=56 Odds=.622)
#18-Pittsburgh (-2.5) vs. #19-Clemson (TP=48 Odds=.563)
#23-N C State (-7) @ #79-Miami (Florida) (TP=53 Odds=.648)
#37-Virginia (-11) vs. #78-Georgia Tech (TP=58 Odds=.704)
#65-Louisville (-1.5) vs. #55-Boston College (TP=59 Odds=.525)
#74-Virginia Tech (-3) vs. #81-Syracuse (TP=46 Odds=.576)
#96-Florida State (-16.5) vs. #129-Massachusetts (TP=60 Odds=.787)

Biggest projected blowouts:
Notre Dame, Florida State, and Virginia.

Closest contests predicted:
Pitt, Virginia Tech.

Friday Night Results - 2021-10-15 (RX; HM)

Friday Night Results - 2021-10-15

This game was CLOSE! How close?
3rd down efficiency: Clemson 5-15, Syracuse 5-15
4th down efficiency: Clemson 1-1, Syracuse 2-2
Total Yards: Clemson 314, Syracuse 356
Passing Yards: Clemson 198, Syracuse 191
Rushing Yards: Clemson 116, Syracuse 165
Penalties: Clemson 7, Syracuse 8
Turnovers: Clemson 0, Syracuse 1
and, ultimately, the stat which decided the game:
Field Goals: Clemson 1-1, Syracuse 0-1

Final Score: Clemson 17, Syracuse 14

AP Poll - 2021-10-17 (RX; HM)

AP Poll - 2021-10-17

Here's the latest AP poll after the games of week 7:

RKTEAM
1Georgia
2Cincinnati
3Oklahoma
4Alabama
5Ohio State
6Michigan
7Penn State
8Oklahoma State
9Michigan State
10Oregon
11Iowa
12Ole Miss
13Notre Dame
14Coastal Carolina
15Kentucky
16Wake Forest
17Texas A&M
18NC State
19Auburn
20Baylor
21SMU
22San Diego State
23Pittsburgh
24UTSA
25Purdue
Others receiving votes:
26Clemson

Hot Seat Coaches Who Fail at Their Specialty (RX; HM)

Hot Seat Coaches Who Fail at Their Specialty

Is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of coaches who get head coaching jobs thanks to success as a coordinator seem to fail miserably on that side of the ball once they get behind the desk? To see what I'm getting at, let's take a quick look at two ACC head coaches on the hot seat: Manny Diaz and Justin Fuente.

Manny Diaz was the Defensive Coordinator at Miami before becoming the Head Coach. How's his defense doing in 2021? Miami is ranked 93rd in terms of scoring defense, giving up an average of 30 points per game. In terms of red zone defense, the Canes rank 122nd out of 130, giving up a score 94.1% of the time (17 trips, 11 TDs, 5 FGM).

Justin Fuente was a former Offensive Coordinator who was known for his offense while he was Head Coach at Memphis. He teased Hokie fans in his first season in Blacksburg - but what's his offense doing this season? Out of 130 FBS teams, Virginia Tech ranks 111th in terms of scoring offense, 113th in terms of red zone efficiency (0.737; 19 trips, 12 TD, 2 FGM).

Those are just examples, but there are more. Why do we get these illogical results? I think it's caused by a level of overconfidence in their specialty, coupled with taking their hands off the pulse, and maybe a little of the old "Peters Principle" tossed in for good measure.

Fan bases seem to be a little more lenient when you do well in your specialty - but struggle on the other side. For instance, Paul Johnson arrived at Georgia Tech with his efficient rushing attack and he delivered with one of the best rushing attacks in the nation. At times his defense gave up almost as much as the offense produced, but Johnson wasn't really held accountable for the defense - at least, not for many seasons.

Will the careers of Diaz and Fuente survive the 2021 football season? Both appear to be coaching for their jobs from here on out.

Brennan Armstrong - ‘The best quarterback in the ACC’ (nbc29.com)

The Virginia football team won its third game in a row, and improved to 3-2 in the ACC, as the Cavaliers demolished Duke 48-0 on Saturday at Scott Stadium.

The shutout is UVA’s first against an ACC opponent since 2008.

Quarterback Brennan Armstrong had a quiet day in the win, but only compared to his lofty standards.

The junior completed 25-of-45 passes for 364-yards and two TD’s.

He also rushed for 50-yard and a touchdown.

Armstrong has 2,824 yards passing this season, which is the most in the nation.

Head coach Bronco Mendenhall says, “I don’t want to come off as, ‘I told you so,’ right? I think he’s the best quarterback in the ACC, and I wouldn’t trade him for anyone. I don’t know what else he has to do, for there to be a campaign, or something. He wouldn’t want that, nor do I, but he’s really good.”

Virginia is scheduled to host Georgia Tech next Saturday.

Other

J7MXADLBEJFJZPDNE4OF5A7RII.jpg

Lockheed Martin’s amazing surge in Salina: 8 years after nearly leaving, it’s expanding and hiring hundreds (PS; $ Weiner)

Lockheed Martin Corp. is adding hundreds of jobs, investing millions of dollars, and expanding its campus in suburban Syracuse as the company experiences its strongest local growth in more than a decade.

The burst of activity has been fueled by a series of big contracts from the Army, Navy and Air Force after Lockheed’s plant at Electronics Park in Salina beat out competing defense contractors for long-term projects.

It’s a significant turnaround from eight years ago, when Lockheed Martin developed plans to close its sprawling Salina campus and transfer many of its employees to plants in other states.

Since then, the Salina plant’s fortunes have steadily improved. In 2019, Lockheed won the biggest contract in its local history – a deal worth up to $3 billion to produce the Army’s next generation of powerful radars for short-range air defenses.

The first of those A4 Sentinel radars made its public debut last week at the Army’s annual conference and show in Washington, D.C.

The mobile radar was transported by truck from Central New York so that Army leaders could see it first-hand. The 16-foot-tall radar operated inside the cavernous Walter E. Washington Convention Center, where it could be seen spinning 360 degrees.

The first five radar systems are on track to be delivered to the Army by March, five months ahead of schedule and under budget, Lockheed executives at the conference told syracuse.com | The Post-Standard.

The early success convinced the Army to accelerate its order by two years for a radar program with the potential to sustain work at Electronics Park for the next 20 to 40 years, the executives said.

Last edited: