Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to National Pumpkin Day!

National Pumpkin Day celebrates pumpkins, a cultivar of the squash plant that is native to North America. Its name is derived from the Greek word "pepon", which means large melon. Pumpkins have long since been associated with the harvest season, and both Halloween and Thanksgiving. During Halloween many people pick or buy pumpkins—most often the Connecticut Field pumpkin—and carve them into jack-o'-lanterns. Vegetables such as turnips have long been carved in Ireland and Britain, and the practice of carving pumpkins into jack-o'-lanterns stemmed from the story of Stingy Jack. Pumpkins were one of the squashes long eaten by Native Americans, which they introduced to Europeans shortly after the settlers arrived in the Americas. In fact, pumpkin pie was served at one of the Pilgrim's first Thanksgivings in the early 1620's, and is now a staple of Thanksgiving meals. A smaller strain of the Connecticut Field pumpkin, the Small Sugar pumpkin, is often used for pumpkin pie, but most Americans buy pie filling or puree in cans instead of getting it from fresh pumpkins. Although most Americans only use fresh pumpkins for carving, there has been a growing interest in pumpkin flavored foods in recent years, which can be attributed to Starbucks' introduction of pumpkin spice latte in 2003.

SU News

Babers Discusses Special Teams Issues (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football has had its share of special teams problems this season. From inconsistency in the punting game to missed field goals to blocked extra points, special teams have been anything but special. What has gone wrong this season, especially with the backdrop that special teams have been a strength of the Orange over the last few seasons? Head coach Dino Babers was asked that very question during his weekly press conference.

"It's not really technical stuff," Babers said. "It's mistakes made by young people that I'm not going to call out in situations like this, that have been told. My big thing with the coaches is, and I'm not slamming my coaches, this is what coaches do. This is how I look at a football game. A football game is an exam. It's a physical exam. You have your instructor and you have a T.A. (Teaching Assistant). The assistant coaches are T.A.'s, which means they can't give you the answer but they sure in hell can remind you of things before the physical play happens. 'Don't forget to remind them of this, hey if you get this problem you want to answer (like this).' Because you can't physically go out there and do it for them. I want my coaches to do a better job with reminders and then I want those guys to go out there and do a better job of execution. It's not rocket science out there. I can tell you exactly why the kick got blocked. We all know on our football team.

Tyler Marona 'counting on' Syracuse football making a bowl game - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

With Syracuse finally in the win column in ACC play, we chatted with former Orange defensive lineman Tyler Marona in this week’s The Juice on the Cuse podcast, presented by SNY.tv.

Despite being down 36-27 with under three minutes to go, Syracuse rallied to a 41-36 win behind a brilliant performance from quarterback Garrett Shrader. He rushed for three touchdowns, and threw for two more, including the game-winner to Damien Alford with 19 seconds left.

The win caught the eye of Marona, who live tweeted his thoughts with the rest of Syracuse fans watching from home.

“When I’m tweeting about the Orange, it means that I’m fully invested,” Marona said. “It’s been so frustrating (…) losing on what should be once a year goof-ups. There were still those in Virginia Tech game, but we overcame it.”

Marona was referring to a blocked extra point that resulted in a two-point conversion for Virginia Tech, as well as a sequence at the end of the first half where the Orange were at the one-yard line but walked away empty-handed after Andre Szymt missed a short field goal.

The win evened SU’s record at 4-4, and kept its bowl hopes alive. It should also greatly improve its morale with four games left in the regular season.

DDJFVE6I4ZBBDHWE36T6VB4LDA.jpg

TJ Conley has helped Fayetteville-Manlius to a 5-1 record and the No. 2 seed in the Class A sectional playoffs. N. Scott Trimble

TJ Conley, son of former Syracuse linebacker Dan Conley, has become one of CNY’s top two-sport stars (PS;$; Carlson)

When TJ Conley was young and the Syracuse football team was playing on the road, he would sit glued to the TV until the game ended, then race outside as soon as it was over.

He didn’t just play football in his backyard. He re-created it, mimicking big moments and replicating the movements of players.

It was the first sign that Conley didn’t just have the genes to be a successful athlete but the mind for it, too, one he’s put to good use as one of Central New York’s most successful two-sport stars.

A junior at Fayetteville-Manlius, TJ is the son of former Syracuse linebacker and coach Dan Conley, the nephew of Yale defensive coordinator Sean McGowan and the brother of Binghamton lacrosse player Zak Conley. His mother, Jen, played quarterback on her Pop Warner football team and had former SU coach Paul Pasqualoni as her high school gym teacher.

Syracuse Football: Orange stuns the Hokies, and a ‘Cuse legend is made (itlh; Fiello)

In 1998, a Syracuse football quarterback named Donovan McNabb beat a ranked Virginia Tech team with a last-minute TD throw to tight end Stephen Brominski. Syracuse won that game 28-26.

In 2021, Syracuse football quarterback Garrett Shrader is looking to end a 3-game losing streak of close games. Within the last minute, on a 4th-down play and another close loss looming, Garrett heaves a 45-yard touchdown pass to Damien Alford to beat Virginia Tech 41-36.

Okay Orange fans over the age of 30, nobody is saying Shrader right now is McNabb or trying to hurt your feelings by diminishing probably the biggest comeback win in Syracuse football history. It is possible to compare our memorable moments with the current day program without insulting your experiences.

I’m 49 and I became the fan I am because of Don McPherson and then McNabb so I love our history and never belittle it. What I do know is watching that game go from “I can’t handle this if we lose another one by 2-3 points” to “WE WON” on that one throw is definitely comparable.

The ending of the Syracuse football win over Virginia Tech was incredible.

The Syracuse Orange football program now sits at 4-4, which leaves them two games away from bowl eligibility with 4 games left to play. They’ve also either beaten or met the expectations that many “Vegas experts” set for them with the over/under win total before the season of either 3.5 or 4 wins depending on the place and time you bet.

Two ex-Syracuse football players on only NFL team that’s still undefeated (PS; Herbert)

Two former Syracuse football players are on the only NFL team that’s still undefeated this season.

Ex-SU lineman Justin Pugh and Orange linebacker Chandler Jones have helped the Arizona Cardinals to a 7-0 start, though Jones missed Sunday’s 31-5 win over the Houston Texans as he remained on the Covid list for a second week. Pugh has played nearly every offensive snap this season, according to lineups.com, helping protect quarterback Kyler Murray.

The Cardinals are in first place in the NFC West and have the best record in the league. Three other teams are tied for second best with a 6-1 record: The Los Angeles Rams, the Green Bay Packers and the defending Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Arizona next faces Green Bay on Thursday night.

Here’s how the rest of the former Syracuse and Central NY stars did in the NFL this week:

Latavius Murray, RB, Baltimore Ravens

Former Onondaga Central High School football star Latavius Murray was ruled out after spraining his ankle the previous week.

Booking ACC Football: Wake Forest, Pitt, QBs keeping us relevant (AFP; podcast; Carter & Graham)

Jerry Carter and Chris Graham are trying to pick up the pieces from bad booking for ACC Football that has us all but eliminated from the College Football Playoff. Can we keep Pitt and Wake on track for Charlotte? Can we get either Kenny Pickett or Brennan Armstrong invited to New York? Tune in and find out what the guys are scheming.

State of Virginia Tech Football, 2021-10-26 (RX; HM)

State of Virginia Tech Football, 2021-10-26

VT H0T Takes:
Fuente has allowed VT to lose too much offensive talent via transfer. Related: he picked the wrong QB to keep (should've kept Hooker). pic.twitter.com/uPJpeKdufe
— Hokie Mark (@mark_hokie) October 24, 2021
You long-time readers of this blog know that I've been very patient with Coach Fuente and his staff. I was even willing to give OC Brad Cornelsen time to right the ship on that side of the ball. I continue to be patient with the defensive staff, which is mostly new, but my patience with the OC and Head Coach have nearly run out - and the Athletic Director is now on the clock.
Justin Fuente has had to deal with something Frank Beamer didn't have to: the transfer portal. Most of the players who transferred out of the program in the first couple years had logical explanations. However, last year something happened which points to Fuente as the problem. Virginia Tech began the 2020 season with three 4-star quarterbacks: Herndon Hooker and Quincy Patterson, who were both signed out of high school, and Braxton Burmeister, who transferred from Oregon. After the head coach chose to go with Braxton Burmeister as the starting quarterback to end the 2020 campaign, the other two blue-chip QBs announced they were entering the portal. Was that a good decision? Consider the 2020 passing stats:

NAMECMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTSACKRTG
Hendon Hooker QB9815065.31,3398.99516153.5
Braxton Burmeister QB488457.16878.2215131.3
Quincy Patterson QB71070939.3200214.1
source: 2020 Virginia Tech Hokies Player Stats | ESPN
You can take Patterson's stats with a grain of salt - he only attempted 10 passes all year - but Hooker versus Burmeister is certainly a fair comparison... and it doesn't look good for BB. HH had a higher completion percentage (CMP%), better average yards per attempt (AVG), and a better passer rating (RTG). The only thing you could point to as maybe going BB's way is interceptions (INT), but the ratio of touchdowns to interceptions is nearly the same (9/5 vs. 2/1). I know many coaches think turnovers are the only thing that matter, but they're wrong - what matters are POINTS!
see also:
https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2020/12/justin-fuente-and-vt-untenable.html

TV Schedule for 2021-10-30 (RX; HM)

TV Schedule for 2021-10-30

Week 9 makes for a long Saturday of ACC Football (a quadruple-header). Here are the games those ACC contests will be up against in each time slot...

Saturday, Oct. 30

Early Afternoon

No. 9 Iowa at Wisconsin | 12 p.m. | ESPN
No. 2 Cincinnati at Tulane | 12 p.m. | ESPN2
No. 6 Michigan at No. 8 Michigan State | 12 p.m. | Fox
Miami at No. 17 Pitt | 12 p.m. | ACC Network
Virginia Tech
at Georgia Tech | 12 p.m. | ACC RSNs
Texas at No. 16 Baylor | 12 p.m. | ABC
Texas State at Louisiana | 12 p.m. | ESPNU

Late Afternoon

No. 1 Georgia vs. Florida (Jacksonville, Florida) | 3:30 p.m. | CBS
Texas Tech at No. 4 Oklahoma | 3:30 p.m. | ABC
Colorado at No. 7 Oregon | 3:30 p.m. | FOX
Florida State at Clemson | 3:30 p.m. | ESPN
Boston College
at Syracuse | 3:30 p.m. | ACC RSNs
TCU at Kansas State | 3:30 p.m. | ESPNU
Purdue at Nebraska | 3:30 p.m. | ESPN2
Duke at No. 13 Wake Forest | 4 p.m. | ACC Network

JHowell's Picks for 2021 Week 9 (RX; HM)

I believe this is the first time JHowell has picked Syracuse since Albany...

JHowell's Picks for 2021 Week 9

From JHowell.net:

Below are the projections through the games of 10-16-21. Games against non-rated teams are excluded. The favorite is listed first with the projected margin of victory (i.e., the line) in parenthesis. 'TP' represents the total number of points expected to be scored in the game and 'Odds' represents the odds of the favorite winning straight-up (not against-the-spread).

Saturday, October 30, 2021

#8-Wake Forest (-28) vs. #108-Duke (TP=64 Odds=.900)
#11-Notre Dame (-17) vs. #64-North Carolina (TP=60 Odds=.795)
#15-Pittsburgh (-15) vs. #63-Miami (Florida) (TP=61 Odds=.762)
#27-Brigham Young (-2.5) vs. #26-Virginia (TP=58 Odds=.554)
#36-Clemson (-9) vs. #80-Florida State (TP=47 Odds=.715)
#37-N C State (-4.5) vs. #47-Louisville (TP=56 Odds=.596)
#67-Syracuse (-3.5) vs. #70-Boston College (TP=50 Odds=.578)
#78-Georgia Tech (-3.5) vs. #84-Virginia Tech (TP=54 Odds=.576)
Projected Blowouts: Wake Forest, Notre Dame, and Pitt are expected to win big.
Comfortable win: Clemson
Close games: UVA, NC State, Syracuse and Georgia Tech.

Links, news, and rumors: 2021-10-26 (RX; HM)

Links, news, and rumors: 2021-10-26

From CBS Sports College Football Power Rankings...
#12 WAKE FOREST - Not sure what was more surprising: Wake Forest scoring 70 or Army giving up 70. QB Sam Hartman accounted for six touchdowns (five passing) in a game that should have been played in the Big 12. The 70-56 win makes the Demon Deacons 7-0 for the first time since 1944. Dave Clawson is one of the most respected coaches in the game. Just spit-balling here, but wouldn't he look good at Nebraska? up 3; record 7-0
#13 NOTRE DAME - The Irish's much-questioned offensive line had a night against USC. Kyren Williams ran for 138 yards. USC WR Drake London continued to have an All-America season with 15 catches (most over by a Trojan against the Irish) for 171 yards. Unchanged; record 6-1
#15 PITTSBURGH - Pickett for Heisman? You bet. CBS Sports' Midseason All-America QB torched Clemson for 303 yards and a pair of touchdowns in a win that changed a lot for the Panthers. Three years ago, Pickett threw for all of 8 yards and was intercepted by the Tigers in the ACC Championship Game. Now he is the toast of college football with the best touchdown-to-interception ratio (23-1) in the country. Up 9; record 6-1
Out: Clemson, NC State

No. 13 Wake Forest (7-0)

Next game: Duke, Saturday, Oct. 30 (ACC Network)
Predicted first loss: at Clemson, Nov. 20

Wake Forest didn't punt once in its 70-56 shootout victory over Army in Week 8 and now the Demon Deacons are officially more than halfway to complete an undefeated regular season. However, they still have to face the second and third-place teams in the ACC Atlantic — NC State and Clemson, respectively. For all of Clemson's woes, as the Tigers are 4-3 (3-2 ACC) in a major step back from the CFP contender they've been for the last six seasons, they still have a very strong defense. Clemson has allowed just 14.6 points per game. Remember, the only touchdown in Clemson's Week 1 loss to Georgia was a pick-six. While the Tigers have endured injuries on that side of the ball, Clemson's defense is the unit that's best positioned to potentially slow down Wake Forest's high-powered offense (43.1 points per game).

Clemson football: Exploring the paths to still winning the ACC in 2021 (rubbingtherock.com; Spencer)

The 2021 Clemson football season has been one that most Tiger fans will want to quickly forget.

As we head into the last game of October, Clemson holds an abysmal 4-3 overall record with a 3-2 record in ACC play. The Tigers currently sit third in the ACC Atlantic Division standings and they’re going to have quite a bit of help to somehow end up winning the division with just over a month remaining in the regular season.

But, it’s still not impossible.

Here’s a look at the ACC Atlantic Division’s current standings:

1. Wake Forest (4-0)
  2. NC State (2-1)
  3. Clemson (3-2)
  4. Louisville (2-2)
  5. Florida State (2-2)
  6. Syracuse (1-3)
  7. Boston College (0-3)

The road to winning the ACC Championship for Clemson football in 2021

It feels like we’re back in 2005 writing this post, but for Clemson to somehow win the ACC Atlantic Division, the Tigers are going to need some help in the form of getting NC State and Wake Forest losses.

Here’s a look at the remaining ACC schedule for Wake Forest and NC State:

Wake Forest: vs. Duke, vs. NC State, @ Clemson, @ Boston College

NC State: vs. Louisville, @ Florida State, @ Wake Forest, vs. Syracuse, vs. UNC

Just a quick note: Wake Forest has a game against UNC, but it is not a ‘conference game’ as the two schools agreed to play a non-conference matchup.

Clemson has to win-out, which would include a win over Wake Forest, and the Tigers would finish with a 6-2 record in the ACC.

What’s the easiest path for the Tigers to still win the Atlantic Division?

1. You need Wake Forest to lose to either Duke or Boston College
  2. You need Wake Forest to beat NC State
  3. You need NC State to lose one other game to Louisville, FSU, Syracuse or UNC

Other

800px-Jamesville-Quarry-2015-1108.jpg

Pots shook. People called 911. What caused loud noise, shaking in CNY today? (PS; O'Toole)

From Syracuse to Fayetteville, dozens of Central New Yorkers felt their homes shake Monday.

One person said the pots on a wood stove rattled. Another person walking along the Erie Canal in DeWitt heard what sounded like an explosion, then emergency vehicles.

At least two people were so worried after hearing a loud boom near Lyndon Corners in DeWitt they called 911 at 12:02 p.m.

So, what was that noise and what caused the ground to shake?

It appears to have been blasting at the Jamesville quarry.

Hanson Aggregates, which operates the 1,800-acre Jamesville quarry at 4800 Jamesville Road, set off a blast right around noon — the same time the 911 calls came in, officials said.

The blast was planned, just like it is every week. Hanson Aggregates officials said they gave the DeWitt Fire Department a heads up, like they always do, just in case anyone called so firefighters knew what was happening.

After the 911 calls came in, DeWitt firefighters checked the area to make sure something else didn’t cause the loud noise. They found nothing.

Pumpkins: proof that just because a plant is edible doesn't mean you should eat it.