Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
ireland-531137.jpg
Welcome to International Stout Day!

International Stout Day celebrates stout beer around the world. "Stout" originally meant "proud" and "brave," but later gained the meaning "strong." The name became associated with any beer that was strong, regardless of if it was a dark beer or not. What we now know as stout beer is closely tied to porter beer. Porter, a dark ale, was first made in the early 1700s, and it gained its name after becoming a favorite of street and river porters, and other working-class people. The stronger porter beers that the London brewers made became known as stout porters, and eventually stout came to only be associated with dark porter beers. Some say a difference lies between stouts and porters, in that stouts use unmalted roasted barley, whereas porters use malted barley. The differences between the two are subtle, and even beer experts can't agree on the real differences.

There are a few different types of stout beers:

• Dry or Irish stout—the standard stout; mainly was made in Ireland at beginning of the 20th century; the best selling of all stouts is a dry stout—Guinness Draught.
  • Milk stout—contains lactose, which gives it a sweetness and adds body; popular in England after World War I; a long brewed brand of it is Mackeson.
  • Chocolate stout—has a dark chocolate flavor that comes from using a darker malt with a strong aroma; sometimes the malt itself is called chocolate malt, and is roasted until it has a chocolate color; other chocolate stouts are brewed with a small amount of chocolate or chocolate flavoring.
  • Oyster stout—either made with a handful of oysters in a barrel or marketed as a stout that would go well with oysters; Hammertown Brewery in London was the first brewery to use oysters in the brewing process, in 1938.
  • Oatmeal stout—has a proportion of oats, no more than 30%, added during brewing process; sweet and smooth; some only have a tiny amount of oats, and the name is used more for marketing; they usually don't taste like oats, but their smoothness comes from proteins, lipids, and gums of the oats.
  • Imperial stout—also known as Russian imperial stout; strong dark stout.
  • Baltic porter—imperial stout that originated in the Baltic region; high alcohol content; popular in Polish breweries.
SU News

Data Dive: Numbers that have defined Syracuse’s season at the bye week (DO; Vasudevan)

After being one loss away from a winless season in 2020, Syracuse heads into the bye week one win shy of a bowl berth for the first time since 2018.

This season has seen drastic improvement in all facets of the game for the Orange, but it still had its downs, too. SU lost three straight games by three points before its recent wins. Head coach Dino Babers said he has “unbelievable faith” in his team, which is led by the nation’s top running back in Sean Tucker and the 19th-best defense in the country, which is in its second season using the 3-3-5 system.

But to gain bowl eligibility, the Orange must win at least one of the three remaining regular season games against Louisville, NC State and Pittsburgh. Here are the stats to know about Syracuse heading into November:

All aboard the Tucker train

Tucker has been Syracuse’s spark on the offense, and he’s the best running back in all of college football. Tucker leads the nation in all-purpose yards (1,505) and all-purpose yards per game (167.22).

But the most surprising statistic has been his usage rate, which is at 37% through the nine games this season, according to College Football Data. On rushing attempts, he’s been used 55% of the time — the next closest player being quarterback Garrett Shrader at 37%, since he’s responsible for taking the ball on read option or designed quarterback runs.

“(Tucker) is different and the biggest waste that we can do is treat him like he’s not different,” Babers said about Tucker earlier in the season. “He’s something that doesn’t come along very often.”

The Orange only bring out other running backs sparingly, using Cooper Lutz and Abdul Adams for a combined 4% of running plays. Tucker also has 201 rushing attempts, the most of any college running back in the country. He averages 6.3 yards per carry, 20th-best nationally. At one point earlier this season, Tucker was responsible for the most scrimmage yards by any player in the Football Bowl Subdivision, providing 40.3% of Syracuse’s.

The only part of the game where he hasn’t been tapped into fully yet is in the receiving game, where he’s only been used 10% of the time. But Syracuse is 115th out of 130 FBS teams in passing yards per game, showing its leniency on Tucker. Against the Eagles, he wasn’t targeted once, instead torching his opposition with a career-high 207 rushing yards.

Special teams meltdown

Syracuse’s Special Teams U has fallen off its pedestal of being one of the best groups in the country. SU never even hired a special teams coordinator this year.

The Orange are ranked 97th out of 130 teams in the Special Teams Fremeau Efficiency Index, a metric used by Football Outsiders to calculate the efficiency ratings of all FBS teams. The rating combines kickoff return, kickoff, punt return, punt, field goal and opponent field goal efficiency into one number. SU was 14th-best in FBS last year, according to Football Outsiders, and now it’s 14th-best in the ACC.

Kicker Andre Szmyt has been at the forefront of this dropoff, falling from his 86.15% success rate over the last three seasons to a 58.3% success rate this year. From over 35 yards, Szmyt is 3-for-8 on the season, good for a 42.9% mark. He has missed easy attempts, too, including a 19-yard field goal and two extra points.

dance-3-01

Syracuse RB Sean Tucker, a Calvert Hall graduate, emerging as Heisman Trophy candidate: ‘I hold myself to high standards’ (baltimoresun.com; Lee)

There are so many highlights Sean Tucker can choose from in his fledgling career as a running back for the Syracuse football program.
The one performance that resonates with the Owings Mills resident and Calvert Hall graduate? A 16-carry, 18-yard showing in a 36-29 loss at then-No. 24 North Carolina State on Nov. 28, 2020. But why that outing over the others?

“I hold myself to high standards,” Tucker said recently. “Me and my dad would talk and stuff after games, and that was definitely one of the worst games I ever had. That’s definitely something I look forward to turning around coming up.”

That attitude has endeared Tucker to former and current teammates and coaches, and one could argue that it has contributed to his success this fall. He leads all NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision players in rushing (1,267) and all-purpose yards (1,505), is tied for 11th in rushing
touchdowns (11) and has rushed for 100 yards in a single season-record eight games, including a school-record seven straight.

ESPN college football analyst Trevor Matich recently named Tucker one of four candidates for the Heisman Trophy, and Syracuse fans have lobbied for him to wear the legendary No. 44 jersey worn by Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little. Tucker took the accolades and accompanying scrutiny in stride.

'A Lot of Emotions' for Garrison Madden After Syracuse Offer (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2022 linebacker Garrison Madden stars for Dutchtown High in Georgia. The 6-3, 200 pound speedy backer was offered by Syracuse on Wednesday.

"Coach Achuff came to our practice (Wednesday), so I got a chance to talk and meet with him," Madden said. "He was saying that he loved my film and the way I play."

With Madden's speed, a self reported 4.38 40-time and 10.6 in the 100 meter, there could be consideration to have him play safety at the next level. Syracuse, however, is recruiting him as a linebacker, which is where he plays in high school.

So what did the offer mean to Madden?

"A lot of emotions were going on, but I was definitely honored and thrilled for the offer," Madden said. "Just for Coach Achuff to even be in my presence is a blessing. Yes this was my first power five offer. It meant a lot to me because it’s showing that hard work is paying off. I am still in awe. Just a blessing."

Wednesday's meeting was the first time Madden spoke with Syracuse linebackers coach Chris Achuff. However, he had been in contact with defensive coordinator Tony White for about a week prior to the offer. Despite the short duration of the relationship to date, Madden has a high opinion of both Syracuse coaches.

"My early impression is that I can tell that they are really great men and genuinely care for their players," Madden said.

Madden added that while he does not have a visit scheduled, he is very interested in taking a trip to Central New York and get a closer look at the Orange.

Syracuse is also not the only power five school talking to Madden. He has heard from Florida State and Utah as well. Still, he thinks highly of Syracuse from what he knows so far.

"I am interested," Madden said. "It’s very intriguing what they have to offer academically and athletically."

Academics, excelling on and off the field, and having a welcoming family environment will be the most important factors for Madden when he makes a final decision.

Chris Reed Says Syracuse Offer 'Meant a Lot' (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2022 wide receiver Chris Reed stars for Wekiva High School in Florida. The 6-2, 190 pounder committed to Utah in early October, but that did not stop Syracuse from extending an offer recently. While the offer may be recent, his communication with Orange wide receivers coach Terrence Samuel is not.

"I think it was after my first or second game," Reed said. "My first game I went off for four touchdowns and 150 yards. That's when everybody started talking to me and my face was getting out there. That's when coach Samuels was talking to me. We were talking for a little while and then he started talking to my coach some more. After Utah offered me, he started talking to my coach. That's when we were getting to know each other. Starting to bond. He came down to Florida to see me practice. He watched me practice and said he liked my hands, route running, all that. After practice, he gave me an offer.

"It meant a lot to me. I'm finally getting the recognition I was supposed to get. Everything happens for a reason. Even though I'm being recruited late, I was just happy. Thank God for every blessing I get."

After the excitement of the offer, Reed said he and Samuel discussed a potential visit.

ACC Football Staff Predictions: Week 10 (tarheelblog.com; Staff)

I’m not saying anything that you don’t know, but the ACC really has been odd this year. Case in point: your THB staff all got the Pitt/Miami game wrong because we all chose...Pitt. We had gotten so jaded with the Hurricanes that we totally expected them to just fall apart after their upset against NC State.

There was someone who picked FSU to beat Clemson and it didn’t look at that odd...Boston College against Syracuse was a toss up... and some of us also thought that Miami exposed something about State that would send them spiraling. Up is down, right is left, and so on and so on.

Despite all this, some of us have managed to take a hold of this season as someone managed an almost perfect week:

Hats off to Max. He was afraid that he was beginning his late season swoon, and instead he’s vaulted out to the top with a 7-1 week. I’ll take my 5-3, thank you.

Max now vaults to a lead of 49-18, a full two games over the rest of the pack. The second place pack is still four strong, hoping for a little magic to overtake Max. Last year’s champ, Evan? He’s...not part of that group. It looks like Jake was smart enough to break away form predicting with Evan earlier in the season, but luckily Evan is only one game out from the cellar, so this fight will be going on for a while.

urn-publicid-ap-org-2b617e8a7d9987c344bb02879018e8b1AP_Midseason_All-America_Football_65923.jpg

Syracuse defensive lineman Cody Roscoe defends during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Clemson in Syracuse, N.Y., in this Friday, Oct. 15, 2021, file photo. Roscoe was selected to The Associated Press Midseason All-America team, announced Tuesday, Oct. 19, 2021. (AP Photo/Adrian Kraus, File)

No dominant ACC team equals nailbiters all around – The Seattle Times (AP; Kekis)

It seems parity has arrived in the Atlantic Coast Conference — just look no further than the results on the scoreboards.

Nailbiters have become commonplace with Clemson in a down year and no truly dominant team. Even unbeaten Wake Forest has had its moments.

Of the 35 conference games played so far, 17 have been decided by one possession (8 points or fewer), the most of any conference. Including nonconference matchups, the figure jumps to 32, and half have been by three points or fewer.

The ACC had three ranked teams in the preseasson AP poll — Clemson (No. 3), North Carolina (No. 10), and Miami (No. 14). Now there is one, No. 10 Wake Forest (8-0, 5-0 ACC). The combined records of Clemson, UNC and Miami now: 13-11 overall, 9-7 in the ACC.
The fall of Clemson (5-3, 4-2) has been the biggest surprise. The Tigers, who started 2021 with a 10-3 loss to current No. 1 Georgia, entered the season with just seven losses in six years. They still have a staunch defense that has allowed them to prevail in close games — four ACC wins by a combined 25 points — but an underperforming offense that’s averaging just 21.3 points, the worst in the conference.
“Yeah, on any given day, somebody can be the best team that day,” Syracuse defensive lineman Cody Roscoe said. “There’s no powerhouse, no key team that’s just beating up on everybody. Everybody’s on an even playing field, so whoever prepares best that week and comes to play the hardest that day is going to be the winner.”

Syracuse (5-4, 2-3) finally snapped a string of five straight games decided by five points or fewer when it broke open a tight game against Boston College last Saturday with a 21-point surge in the third quarter after the Eagles led 3-0 at halftime. That five-game Orange streak included three straight conference losses by three points and three straight games decided on the final play. One of the setbacks was to the Demon Deacons — 40-37 in overtime.

“We know every game’s going to be a dogfight,” Roscoe said. “Honestly, I feel like that with the ACC right now a lot of things are evening out. Everybody’s good every day. Every game is a competitive game.”

The standings reflect that. Just six teams have winning records and five are at .500, leaving three below .500, all with 3-5 records. In conference play, five teams have winning records, three are at .500 (4-4), three at 2-3, one at 2-4, and Boston College and Duke are 0-4.

Syracuse Football: Numerous bowl projections flowing in for the Orange (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football stormed back in the second half on Saturday afternoon in Central New York to take down long-time rival Boston College.

That result leaves the Orange (5-4, 2-3) one win away from reaching post-season bowl eligibility, with the ‘Cuse having three games left on its 2021 regular-season docket.

Notching that sixth victory won’t be easy, as following a bye week, the ‘Cuse has Atlantic Coast Conference road battles at Louisville and N.C. State, and then the Orange’s home finale is versus conference rival Pittsburgh.

Still, where things currently stand, Syracuse football is beginning to pick up bowl predictions from a variety of media outlets. Let’s have a look.

Syracuse football needs just one more success to qualify for a bowl game.

Athlon Sports, at this time, projects that the Orange will play UCF in the Fenway Bowl on December 29 in Boston.

College football insider Brett McMurphy is forecasting that Syracuse football will go up against Houston in the Military Bowl on December 27 in Annapolis, Md. I’m all for this, since I live not too far from Annapolis!

Both 247Sports and Pro Football Network have the ‘Cuse in the First Responder Bowl, which according to a press release, will get played on December 28 in Dallas.

For 247Sports, it is saying that Syracuse football will compete versus Purdue. Pro Football Network, meanwhile, has the Orange doing battle with Iowa State.

Now, for context, there are a bunch of media organizations out there with bowl predictions that don’t presently include Syracuse football, so it’s not like the ‘Cuse has unanimous support in favor of it earning a bowl invite, at least for now.

When I came across the most recent bowl projections from CBS Sports’ Jerry Palm, I did happen to notice that he doesn’t have the Orange in his predicted field of bowl contests, yet he is including Boston College and Virginia Tech at this time.

BC Football - Keep The Faith (bcinterruption.com; Fidler)

The 2021 Boston College football season has certainly not gone to form. Much was expected of the Eagles this season and whether you thought that meant finally breaking the 7 win barrier or based on a relatively weak ACC and non conference schedule, grabbing double digit wins for the first time since 2011, 2021 was going to be a fun and exciting time.

Obviously, that hasn’t happened and even though pre-season predictions had the Eagles dropping the Clemson, NC State and Louisville games before finishing with a flurry, losing to Syracuse and more importantly, looking as bad as they look now in doing so, wasn’t the plan.

For the most part, fans have been understanding of Jeff Hafley and his staff, but there have been at least a handful of Dazzler and Spaz comparisons, which are only bound to grow as the season winds down.

In transparency, I was and am a believer in Jeff Hafley.

Here’s why then, the fan base needs to Keep the Faith.

The Great Communicator

Hafley speaks “college football player 2021”. They get him and he gets them. It’s not just speaking about getting to the league, it’s about an approach that resonates in a way that quite frankly I don’t think ever existed at BC until now. He’s not the authoritarian that Tom Coughlin or even Tom O’Brien was. He’s not the career assistant trying to be the guy that Spaz or Daz were and he’s not the old guy trying to be cool the way Jags was...he gets it. This as much as anything leads to the next part.

Recruiting

In really his first year to be able to recruit a full class, Hafley has BC as a fringe top 25 class by ESPN, 25th by 24/7 Sports and 19th by Rivals after finishing in the low 30s in year one. Chances are they fall slightly, but even finishing mid 30s blows away anything done by Steve Addazio where the Eagles were near constantly in the 50s or 60s. You can’t build bricks without straw, even if you can keep players around for five years and Hafley is doing that at a level we haven’t seen since Tom O’Brien, when not coincidentally, the Eagles had the best period of sustained success in program history.

Talent

BC entered this season ranked 9th in overall talent per 24/7 Sports. Just two seasons ago, they were 13th. The bricks are being built and laid into place.

Injuries

Of course, this can come off looking like an excuse, but it’s nearly impossible to underestimate the impact that injuries have had on this team. It’s not just the most obvious in Phil Jurkovec, but it’s also Tyler Vrabel and how much of a drop off there is from Vrabel to Jack Conley whose just been abused in pass blocking. It’s the inconsistent availability of CJ Lewis, Kobay White and most recently (at least for one game), Trae Barry. It’s an already mediocre defense, really thin in the front seven, losing Chibueze Onwuka prior to the season starting and then rotating through lost bodies at LB (IGM) and in the secondary (Deon Jones, Brandon Sebastian).

For the Eagles to reach their maximum potential this year, they needed to remain essentially injury free, particularly to their starters and that clearly hasn’t happened.

National Perspective

The buzz around Hafley has quieted over the last few weeks, but he still remains extremely well respected and as one Clemson writer mentioned a few weeks ago, “would Clemson be better off losing to BC this year, as it might get Hafley out of here faster”.

As with any person in any position, it’s more than fair though to question a few things.

Can Hafley handle being a head coach?

This is something that only time will tell. It is a far different role to sit in the big chair as opposed to being the first Lieutenant. Hafley certainly has the demeanor, the communication skills, the ability to recruit, etc to be successful, but sometimes, it just doesn’t work out.

Boston College Football: 5 questions heading into Week 10 vs. Virginia Tech (247sports.com; Calvaruso)

Boston College's trip to Blacksburg to take on Virginia Tech last season was one it would like to forget. The Eagles turned the ball over five times and Hendon Hooker totaled 275 yards of offense and four touchdowns as the Hokies pulled away for a dominant 40-14 win.

"If you turn it five times to none and you're still in the game with, I think there were three minutes left in the third quarter, 17-14, if you turn the ball over five times against anybody, you have no chance to win," Boston College head coach Jeff Hafley said Tuesday.

The circumstances are much different for this season's meeting between the two programs. Hooker is now Tennessee's starting quarterback and Justin Fuente is on the hot start with Virginia Tech struggling to a 4-4 record entering the final month of the regular season. Boston College, meanwhile, is also 4-4 and has succumbed to poor quarterback play in recent weeks.

Dennis Grosel and Emmett Morehead couldn't get much going for Boston College's offense in Week 9. Neither quarterback led the Eagles in a 21-6 loss to Syracuse and while Morehead's brief spark in the second quarter was encouraging, it was not sustained into the second half. Boston College has made a decision on its starting quarterback for the annual Red Bandana game, as Hafley would prefer not to play two quarterbacks as he did at the Carrier Dome.

"I'm hoping it's one guy," Hafley said. "As you know, how I honestly would like to do it. I don't want to tell you like, yeah, it's just one guy. And then, all of a sudden, it could be two. I’d like it to be one."

Boston College needs to get its quarterback situation right if it wants to have a chance at beating Virginia Tech, but who the man under center will be is not the only question facing the Eagles with the Hokies soon to arrive in Chestnut Hill. Here are five Boston College is currently dealing with.

IS EMMETT MOREHEAD READY TO TAKE THE REIGNS?

Morehead was essentially baptized by fire against Syracuse. Boston College's true freshman quarterback did not play a single high school football game as a senior due to the COVID-19 pandemic and did not receive a whole lot of game action during his high school career prior to that. It showed at times under the bright lights of the Carrier Dome, as Morehead was sometimes slow to process Syracuse's defense and bailed out of the pocket to run far earlier than he had to.
The good news for Boston College is that those mistakes will be fixed as Morehead garners more experience under center. There's a chance he picks up some of that valuable experience on Friday night, as it looks like he is a good chance to get the starting nod against Virginia Tech.

Morehead showed flashes of his potential in Boston College's trip to Syracuse. He throws a pretty deep ball and while he's still a little bit lacking in the accuracy department, it's clear he has the kind of arm Boston College's offense needs considering its lack of ability to generate the big play through the air this season. Slowing the game down and coming off his first read before deciding to tuck and run is the next step in Morehead's development.

Links, news and rumors (RX; HM)

Links, news and rumors

It's been a very busy week at work. Some of you have had to wait hours for your comments to be moderated, and I've missed some breaking news. Gotta pay the bills, though! Anyway, here are some links and news that you might already know - unless you've had a busy week, too!

SouthernPigskin says Wake Forest's Hartman Now a Heisman Candidate

Wake Forest quarterback Sam Hartman has played his way into the Heisman Trophy conversation... Wake Forest is very much in the national spotlight. Hartman is, too. Both have earned that attention...

Miami Receives Public Reprimand for Violation of NCAA Football Playing Rule

GREENSBORO, N.C. (theACC.com) – The University of Miami violated NCAA Football Playing Rule 1-4-12 (coaches’ phones, headsets and communication devices) and consistent with the playing rule, is being issued a public reprimand and a 20 percent reduction in communication devices for this week’s game against Georgia Tech.
Teams must exchange a “headset sheet” and “team credential list” at least 90 minutes prior to its scheduled contest. Schools are limited to 23 communication devices.
Specific language from the NCAA can be found here.

...Obviously, the major reason for the 12-team format is that more teams can participate, especially those that are not from the Power 5 conferences. With more teams, this also equals more television revenue with estimates at around a combined $450 million of additional revenue if the 12-team format takes place in 2024 and 2025...

2021 Week 10 TV, Radio, and Announcers (RX; HM)

Virginia Tech at Boston College, 7:30 p.m., ESPN2, 83, 83, 83

Series: Virginia Tech leads series, 19-10; Last meeting: Virginia Tech, 40-14 (2020)

ESPN2: Jason Benetti (play-by-play), Andre Ware (analyst), Paul Carcaterra (sideline)

Saturday, Nov. 6, Time, TV, Sirius, XM, App/Web

Pitt at Duke, Noon, ACCN, 136, 203, 966

Series: Pitt leads series, 15-9; Last meeting: Pitt, 33-30 (2019)

ACCN: Wes Durham (play-by-play), Roddy Jones (analyst), Taylor Davis (sideline)

Wake Forest at North Carolina (non-conference), Noon, ABC, 132, 207, 967

Series: North Carolina leads series, 70-36-2; Last meeting: North Carolina, 59-53 (2019)

ABC: Sean McDonough (play-by-play), Todd Blackledge (analyst), Molly McGrath (sideline)

Georgia Tech at Miami, 12:30 p.m., RSN, 121, 204, 968

Series: Georgia Tech leads series, 13-12; Last meeting: Georgia Tech, 28-21, ot (2019)

RSN: Tom Werme (play-by-play), James Bates (analyst), Wiley Ballard (sideline)

NC State at Florida State, 4 p.m., ACCN, 137, 193, 955

Series: Florida State leads series, 27-14; Last meeting: NC State, 38-22 (2019)

ACCN: Chris Cotter (play-by-play), Mark Herzlich (analyst), Jalyn Johnson (sideline)

Clemson at Louisville, 7:30 p.m., ACCN, 137, 193, 955

Series: Clemson leads series, 6-0; Last meeting: Clemson, 45-10 (2019)

ACCN: Dave O’Brien (play-by-play), Tim Hasselbeck (analyst), Kelsey Riggs (sideline)

CFP Expansion: What's In It for them? (RX; HM)

CFP Expansion: What's In It for them?

What is going on with the CFP expansion proposal (12 teams formatted as top 6 conference champs plus top 6 remaining at-large teams) versus the counter-proposal (8 teams with 5 spots reserved for the P5 champs plus 3 at-large teams)? Is there a path to compromise through this impasse?

There are several special interests at work here: ESPN, the SEC, the ACC, Notre Dame, the Big Ten, the Pac-12, and the other FBS conferences. (I've lumped the Big XII in with the G5 conferences for the sake of this analysis). We can make some basic assumptions about the motivations of these entities:

• The G5 want better access to the playoffs, since they've had none so far
  • The Pac-12 wants a guarantee for their conference champ to get a bid
  • The ACC wants insurance that its champ will get into the playoffs, too
  • The Big Ten wants to slow the rate of change in college football.
  • The Big Ten champion has also been passed over more than once.
  • The SEC wants an opportunity for more than just its champ to get in.
  • All FBS conferences would like more money from ESPN, etc.
  • ESPN wants the best possible TV ratings for the playoffs.
  • Notre Dame wants to retain access to the CFP while remaining independent.
The current model has zero spots guaranteed; all four openings are at-large bids. Any changes should therefore be compared to the status quo. Now, I recognize that the ACC, Pac-12, Big XII, and probably the Big Ten all would like a guarantee that their conference champ will get into the College Football Playoffs. The G5 conferences would like at least one spot set aside for them as well. On the other hand, the SEC and Notre Dame would likely be against anything that reduces access via the at-large route.

Surging Miami back in ACC Coastal Division race (AP; Kurz Jr)

Things to watch in the Atlantic Coast Conference for Week 10:

GAME OF THE WEEK

Georgia Tech at Miami. The Hurricanes' 38-34 victory against Pittsburgh put them back in the ACC Coastal Division race at 4-4 overall and 2-2 in the league. Coach Manny Diaz's team has beaten two consecutive teams ranked in the Top 25 behind quarterback Tyler Van Dyke. The 'Canes knocked North Carolina State and then Pittsburgh out of the rankings. The Yellow Jackets (3-5, 2-4) have lost two in a row, but have won two straight against Miami.

BEST MATCHUP

No. 10 Wake Forest (8-0) at North Carolina (4-4). It's a game that doesn't count in conference, but could light up the scoreboard as it features two of the ACC's most productive quarterbacks. The Demon Deacons' Sam Hartman has guided them into the top 10 for the first time in school history, while the Tar Heels' Sam Howell threw for program records of six touchdowns and 550 yards in the last meeting, a 59-53 victory for North Carolina a year ago.

LONG SHOT

Pittsburgh at Duke. The Panthers have won nine of the last 10 meetings, including the past four. They blew a 23-point lad in their last matchup before rallying as Kenny Pickett threw a 26-yard TD pass to V’Lique Carter with 38 seconds remaining. The series has included some wild scoring with the Blue Devils winning 51-48 in double overtime in 2014 and Pitt winning 58-55 in the first meeting between the programs in 2013.

INSIDE THE NUMBERS

North Carolina State quarterback Devin Leary has attempted 211 consecutive passes without an interception. That's the ninth-longest streak in ACC history. Virginia’s Matt Blundin is eighth with 213 from 1990-91. Florida State’s Christian Ponder (2009) and Chris Weinke (1999) are tied for seventh at 237. ... Clemson has won 32 consecutive home games, the longest streak in school history. ... Wake Forest is 8-0 overall and 5-0 in the ACC for the first time. The Demon Deacons' eight-game winning streak is the longest in school history.

IMPACT PLAYER

Since taking over at quarterback for Syracuse in the third week of the season, Garrett Shrader has accounted for 20 touchdowns, including 13 rushing scores.

What to know about Syracuse transfer WR Taj Harris before he visits Kentucky (C-J; Hale)

Kentucky football needs help at the wide receiver position.

While reinforcements are unlikely to come in time to address the Wildcats' lack of depth at the position this season, there is hope for a more rounded group in 2022. Mark Stoops and his staff will hope to take the next step in filling that hole this weekend when they host Syracuse transfer Taj Harris for an official visit.

A four-year starter at Syracuse, the 6-foot-2, 172-pound New Jersey native will have two seasons of eligibility remaining at his next school.

Bowl games:Bowl projections show wide range of options still possible for Kentucky football

Here is what you need to know about the transfer candidate.

What Taj Harris did for Syracuse

After signing with Syracuse as a three-star recruit, Harris started 7 of 12 games as a freshman in 2018. He caught 40 passes for 565 yards and three touchdowns that season.

As a sophomore in 2019, Harris caught 37 passes for 559 yards and two touchdowns in 12 games. His production spiked in 2020 with 58 catches for 733 yards and five touchdowns in 10 games. Harris caught 16 passes for 171 yards in the first three games this season before entering the transfer portal.

Harris led the all receivers in the country in forced missed tackles in 2019, according to Pro Football Focus.

"They expect me to just fall down, but that's not the way I play," Harris told Syracuse.com before the season. "You're going to have to wrap up, take me all the way to the ground because if you're not on your job I'm outta there."

Other

TV2KJXJPOFHFBCZCICJ72JPN3U.jpg

Beyond the Front Door: This couple moved from Alaska to fix up the ‘Grand Lady,’ once a jewel of Syracuse (PS; Haas)

Syracuse is brimming with old buildings. The city is a tapestry of majestic mansions and imposing relics of industry. Some have been lost, while others are still loved or being brought back to life and vitality.

My name is David Haas and I’ve spent years exploring and photographing the beautiful old buildings and homes that fill Syracuse. I document them on my Instagram page,
@SyracuseHistory. In this series, I’ll take you beyond the front door of some of the city’s most unique properties, the ones you’ve probably seen countless times from the curb, but have never explored inside. And we’ll meet the people who aim to transform, restore or raze these places for something new.

Recently, I visited 201 W. Kennedy St. and met James Vermillion and Lindsay Noah-Vermillion.

The couple is originally from the State of Washington and previously lived in Alaska for a number of years.

The pair moved to Syracuse earlier this year after Lindsay was matched with SUNY Upstate Medical University in the residency placement program.

After arriving in Syracuse, James and Lindsay began looking into purchasing and restoring an old home. They focused on opportunities presented through the Greater Syracuse Land Bank and looked at four specific properties, including an old church on South Avenue.

Lindsay said that after a long day of touring potential houses, they knew 201 W. Kennedy St. was the one for them.

“It had all the character we wanted, the stairwell, the unpainted wood, and even though it was covered with vinyl and cheap things everything, it had the right bones and just felt right,” she said.

The couple said they wanted a property in this area for three specific reasons: the city, the neighborhood, and the house.

They paid $7,500 for the 2,800 sq. ft. house, according to county property tax records. They closed on the house in May of this year and have already begun restoring the home. They have signed on local architect, Hilary Donohue, of City Link Architecture to assist.

So far, they’ve done a lot of the work themselves, but have started hiring contractors to help with larger pieces of the project such as removing the siding and restoring the porch. They are sharing their restoration journey in a playful yet informative YouTube blog titled, “The Grand Lady.” Their page already has over 2,500 subscribers and their first video has been watched 17,000 times.