Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
241243-education-day.webp
Welcome to Special Education Day!

On December 2nd, National Special Education Day recognizes changes in federal legislation that led to the nation’s first federal special education law.

Beginning in 1971, a U.S. District Court case in the District of Columbia, Mills v. Board of Education, ruled it unlawful to deny exceptional children, including those with mental and learning disabilities, publicly funded educational opportunities. Court cases like this led to the 1975 Education for All Handicapped Children Act. President Gerald Ford signed the legislation into law on November 29th, 1975. The federal legislation required states that accept federal money to provide equal access to children with disabilities. In 1986, legislators added protections to support parents and educators in creating an education plan for children with disabilities. Then, in 1990, the Education for All Handicapped Children Act was renamed the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and improved access for all children with developmental delay. Through the years, the act has been enhanced to improve services and standards throughout the educational system.

SU News

Carney: Syracuse retaining Dino Babers 'the right move' - The Juice Online (the juice; podcast; Cheng)

Syracuse football’s season ended in disappointment over the weekend with a loss to Pitt. Now that we’re officially in the offseason, we up with Syracuse great Brendan Carney on this week’s The Juice on the Cuse Podcast, presented by SNY.tv.

Though Syracuse has only had one winning season in six years under Dino Babers, athletic director John Wildhack announced on Monday that Babers will return for a seventh season.

“Bringing him back is probably the right move,” Carney said. “I really believe we are on the cusp of becoming a seven or eight win team.”

The Orange was certainly close, losing three straight games by 3 points, and losing by 10 to former Big East rival Rutgers. Had a few plays gone SU’s way, the Orange could be looking at an 8 win season and a bowl berth.

That progress, coming off a disastrous 1-10 season, warranted at least another season for Babers.

“I think we need to look at the entire picture of where the program stands today,” Carney said. “I’ve said this in the past, but I believe that turning this program around was a six-year deal. I was proud of the guys. I thought they played hard for each other all year.”

I also chatted with Carney about a variety of other topics, including his thoughts on what Syracuse will need from its new assistant coaches. The Orange needs to replace its offensive coordinator, defensive line and tight ends coaches, and will likely add a special teams coordinator that was missing this season.

He also discussed SU’s struggles on special teams, especially in the punting game. Punter James Williams struggled with what appeared to be an undisclosed injury, and walk-on Ian Hawkins started at the end of the year.

Carney, a three-time All-Big East punter and captain of the Orange in his senior season (2006), believes that Williams and the entire special teams unit is in for a big improvement in 2022.

Afterward, editor in chief Brad Bierman calls in to discuss Syracuse’s big double-overtime win over Indiana in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge.

Elite 2023 Athlete Discusses Syracuse Football Visit (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2023 athlete Kahlil Ali out of Pennsauken High School in New Jersey is one of the top prospects in the Northeast regardless of position. Ali already holds offers from Boston College, Florida State, Illinois, Maryland, Miami, Michigan State, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Virginia and West Virginia. Ali was on the Syracuse campus on Tuesday.

"I got there around 11," Ali said. "When I first got there, I saw coach Gino (Recruiting Quality Control Gino Gigliotti). He introduced me to (wide receivers) coach Samuel. We toured the facilities, the field houses, the campus, saw different parts of the school. Then we went to see coach Babers and I got to talk with coach Babers. Then just seeing coach Samuel and spending the whole day with them."

Ali says he was a bit surprised when Syracuse offered him as a wide receiver as most other schools are recruiting him as a defensive back. Ultimately, Ali views himself as an athlete who will do whatever his team needs in order to help secure a win.

On the visit, Ali was able to get to know coach Babers and coach Samuel on a more personal level. He is excited to continue to develop those relationships as his recruitment progresses.

"Getting to know them was very cool," Ali said. "Coach Babers was actually telling me he coached coach Samuel at Purdue, which is definitely crazy. Now that he's got him on the staff, I feel like he's going to do a good job and do great things with the receivers at Syracuse. Coach Samuel teaching me things on film, pointing out things I can do better, that also tells me a lot. He really wants to get this relationship going.

"Coach Babers is a cool guy. Getting to know him was also cool. Him telling me all about his coaching career, because this is his 35th year coaching. Him telling me about all of his experience and all of his challenges in college football, it was just crazy."

211009_FootballSUvsWakeForest_CoreyHenry_SSP_56-2.jpg

Syracuse proved that this year wasn’t like last year, but that doesn’t make a 5-7 season successful Corey Henry | Senior Staff Photographer

Fernandez: 2021 was an unsuccessful season, especially for SU's players (DO; Fernandez)

The message that rang through Syracuse’s preseason training camp, and continued throughout its 5-7 season, was a simple one: This year isn’t last year.

“We can’t have that this year,” Josh Black said at the start of the season.

Returning players reiterated that message time-and-time again. They had felt losses becoming habitual during SU’s 1-10 season, Black said, and didn’t want to see it happen again. Even new players who didn’t live through that season reiterated the same message.
https://e-10699.adzerk.net/r?e=eyJ2...250ZW50PVYxQiJ9&s=G_FfEMRdFKXLejHDMXzCWc3fO9g
“Last year is not a reflection of who they are and what the team is going to be this year,” quarterback Garrett Shrader said during training camp.

That’s where the bar — and the expectations — started for Syracuse’s season: be better than last year.

The expectations for SU were low to start the year, hence the constant comparisons and references to avoiding a repeat of 2020, but performances midway through the season inched the bar higher and higher. The Orange flashed potential when they proved they could keep up with the Atlantic Coast Conference’s best. Syracuse proved a bowl game was a realistic benchmark to define a successful year.

Fans’ expectations inched higher, too. And then, with a bowl game in the realm of possibility in November, SU folded. The bar proved to be out of reach, and the thought of what could’ve been made the season incredibly frustrating.

At the start of the year, five wins would’ve been a success. But Syracuse pushed expectations, and could no longer reach the bar it worked so hard to raise. 2021 wasn’t successful.

“We’re disappointed with how the season ended,” Director of Athletics John Wildhack said on Monday.

Sciria: For better or worse, Syracuse football is wedded to Babers (auburnpub.com; $; Scriba)

It's not really a surprise that Syracuse University Athletic Director John Wildhack announced this week that football coach Dino Babers is coming back for a seventh season.

Coming off a 1-10 record in 2020, a 5-7 mark shows some progress. Of course, when you were 1-10, it doesn't take much to show improvement.

And you can make the case that Syracuse was oh so close to an 8-4 record, losing three straight games by three points, including one in overtime to Wake Forest, who is playing Pitt for the overall ACC title.

Syracuse Football: In 2022, Dino Babers has to reach bowl, or he has to go (itlh; Adler)

I’m a huge fan of Syracuse football head coach Dino Babers, because I think he’s a stand-up human being, and I believe that he is an excellent role model for Orange players.

Now, does that mean he should continue to get coaching the ‘Cuse, after a 29-43 overall record in six seasons on the Hill, with only one winning term to date?

Well, for me, I say give Babers one more stanza to reach post-season bowl eligibility for his second time in Central New York. But if he has fewer than six victories in 2022, as much as I love and respect Babers, his tenure as the Orange’s head coach should be over.

According to media reports, Babers will be back next season, even if some of his assistant coaches won’t be. And for all the talk about his reportedly large buyout, it appears that Syracuse University athletics-department officials are focused on what Babers is doing to improve the ‘Cuse on the field, rather than keeping him around because of financial considerations.

Syracuse football head coach Dino Babers has to reach a bowl in 2022.

Considering that the Orange won just a single game in 2020, during a challenging season for the ‘Cuse and its peers around the country amid the novel coronavirus pandemic, that Syracuse football upped the ante to a 5-7 mark in 2021 is a commendable achievement and a big-time improvement.

At the same time, the Orange fell in multiple games during this most recent stanza where the final margin was three points, and the ‘Cuse needed to only come out on top in one of them to land a bowl berth.

Moriah football shows love to community before state championship (mynbc5.com; Kramsky)

The Carrier Dome countdown continues for Moriah football.

This Friday, the Vikings are headed to Syracuse University for the New York Class "D" State Championship.

The Vikings are going back to the Carrier Dome for the third time in the last four years. However, Moriah is yet to walk away with the title.

Many local fans will be making the trek to Syracuse to support their favorite football team. The Moriah football team spoke about just how much the community support means to them.

"This town is very close-knit. Everybody knows each other. Everybody shows up to the games. You couldn't ask for anything better," junior Rowan Swan said.

"Tons of fans even if we travel to Middletown. We will have a bunch of fans in Syracuse that watch it on TV and they talk about it from now until the game is over," head coach Don Tesar said.

"I think the environment is everything, you have the crowd cheering you on that just gives you wat more energy," senior Declan Valentine said.

"You walk into Stewart's in the morning and see the old guys talking to you about what you're going to do this game, it makes you want to win even more," senior Caleb Harris said.

Shooting stars Pickett, Hartman to clash in ACC title game | AP News (apnews.com; Graves)

Kenny Pickett didn’t get specific. He didn’t need to. The goal the Pittsburgh quarterback set for himself when he made the surprising decision to return in 2021 rather than enter the NFL draft covered all the bases.

“I want to be the best,” said Pickett, who was named the ACC’s Most Valuable Player on Wednesday. “That’s always been my goal since I was young. And it’s something that, you know, you continue to work for.”

A goal that’s come tantalizingly close for Pickett over the last three months. All he’s done since September is rewrite a majority of the school’s record book — surpassing the likes of Hall of Famer Dan Marino in the process — while leading the 17th-ranked Panthers (10-2) to their second appearance in the ACC title game and mounting a Heisman Trophy campaign that’s morphed from unlikely to dark horse to legit.

Yet he won’t be the only quarterback on the field Saturday night in Charlotte, North Carolina, whose name is on the Heisman ballot.

Like Pickett, Wake Forest redshirt sophomore Sam Hartman has put together a season few saw coming. Like Pickett, he’s turned the Demon Deacons’ record book into his own personal dry-erase board. Like Pickett, he’s done it while leading No. 18 Wake Forest (10-2) to a division title and a chance at a conference championship.

“I think (Pickett) and Sam are very similar,” Wake Forest coach Dave Clawson said. “That’s your first- and second-team all-ACC quarterbacks. You have two guys that are competitors, that play with courage, that make plays with their feet and have great arm strength and can make every throw.”

Pickett and Hartman connected during visits to the offseason passing camp run by Hall of Famer Peyton Manning. Maybe it’s not a coincidence that both players — and their teams — took a massive leap forward in 2021 as a result.

Pickett ranks fifth in the country in yards passing (4,077) while Hartman is ninth (3,711). Pickett’s 40 touchdown passes are second in the nation, just a few spots ahead of Hartman’s 34.

Hartman has run for 10 touchdowns while Pickett has managed four on the ground, a dip from previous years, partly out of a conscious effort by Pickett to avoid unnecessary hits and partly because he’s got so many weapons around him that he no longer needs to make something out of nothing with his feet.

What makes their ascensions so startling is the relative anonymity in which they toiled before this fall. Pickett threw for 39 touchdowns over his first four seasons, a number he surpassed in 12 games in 2021, the 40th coming in a 31-14 victory over Syracuse last Saturday that assured Pitt of its first 10-win regular season in four decades.

Pitt vs. Wake Forest: 3 bold predictions for 2021 ACC Championship Game (fansided.com; Rogust)

The 2021 ACC Championship Game will not feature the Clemson Tigers for the first time since 2018. A champion will be crowned on Saturday, beginning at 8:00 p.m. ET, as the Pittsburgh Panthers take on the Wake Forest Demon Deacons.

Pittsburgh last made it to the ACC Championship Game in 2018, and look to win it for the first time behind quarterback Kenny Pickett. As for Wake Forest, they soundly defeated Boston College 41-10 to clinch a spot in the big game, where they look to win the ACC Championship for the first time since 2006.

This has the chance to be one of the more competitive games of the weekend. Here are three bold predictions for the game.

3. Sam Hartman throws 3 touchdowns and runs for a touchdown

At one point this season, it looked as though Wake Forest were going to cruise to the ACC Championship Game with an undefeated record. Those dreams disappeared after they lost to North Carolina and Clemson in three weeks. But if there is one player who has been consistent throughout the season, it is quarterback Sam Hartman.

On the year, Hartman threw for 3,711 yards, 34 touchdowns and 10 interceptions while completing 60.3-percent of his passes. Additionally, Hartman ran for 342 yards and 10 touchdowns on 100 carries this year.

This past weekend against Boston College, Hartman threw three touchdowns and ran for a score in the 41-10 win. As it turns out, that is the sixth game this season where Hartman has thrown for three or more touchdowns and ran for one or more touchdowns.

Against the Panthers, Hartman will account for three passing touchdowns and one rushing touchdown.

Links, news, and rumors 2021-12-01 (RX; HM)

Links, news, and rumors 2021-12-01

From SouthernPigskin: Pitt, Wake Looking to Make History

It’s been seven years since a program other than Clemson won the ACC Championship Game. It’s been even longer -- 11 years -- since a program other than Clemson or Florida State captured the ACC conference crown.

But that’s only half the story in the most unexpected ACC Championship matchup ever that will take place between Wake Forest and Pitt this Saturday.

The Demon Deacons haven’t won the ACC Championship since 2006, and the Panthers have never won a conference title game. That’s in the ACC or any other conference.

To be fair to Pitt, the Big East didn't have a conference championship game and the Panthers only joined the ACC for football in 2013. They've appeared in one ACC FCG, losing to Clemson.

How is Comcast going to pay for the ACC Network?
From the Philadelphia Inquirer...

Comcast Fee and Rate Changes
New prices are effective Dec. 20. Prices shown are for Center City and South Philadelphia.

ChargeCurrentNewChange
TV
Broadcast TV fee$16.30$19.15$2.85
Regional sports fee$10.50$12.70$2.20
HD TV box and remote$7.50$8.50$1.00
Expanded Basic cable$46.32$45.27($1.05)
Internet
Performance$80.95$83.95$3.00
Performance Pro$95.95$98.95$3.00
Blast!$100.95$103.95$3.00
Extreme Pro$105.95$108.95$3.00
Gigabit$110.95$113.95$3.00
So, an extra $2.85 for cable TV, $3 more for internet, etc. (I'm told ESPN charges $1 for the ACCN)

According to the guys who book odds for a living, Marcus Freeman is going to succeed Brian Kelly as the head coach of the Notre Dame football program. SportsBetting.ag made Freeman the odds-on favorite at -150. Cincinnati's Luke Fickell is second on the board with +175 odds. There are 11 total names on the list, including Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops and Lane Kiffin.

Was Brennan Armstrong Snubbed on the All-ACC Football Teams? - Sports Illustrated Virginia Cavaliers News, Analysis and More (SI; Newton)

All season long, Virginia fans have been pining for Brennan Armstrong to get more national recognition, especially as the UVA quarterback was largely left out of the Heisman conversation, despite leading the nation in both passing and total offense for most of the season.

The frustration of Cavalier fans reached a peak on Tuesday, when the Atlantic Coast Conference released its All-ACC Teams for the 2021 college football season. Brennan Armstrong was not named to the All-ACC First Team… or the All-ACC Second Team. Instead, the UVA quarterback made Third-Team All-ACC behind Wake Forest’s Sam Hartman and Pittsburgh’s Kenny Pickett.

Kenny Pickett was also selected as the ACC Player of the Year and Offensive Player of the Year, with Brennan Armstrong finishing in second in the voting for both awards. Pickett received 52 votes for Player of the Year and Armstrong was second with five votes. Pickett received 54 votes for Offensive Player of the Year and Armstrong was second with seven votes.

Some UVA fans are dissatisfied by this outcome to say the least and it’s difficult not to at least somewhat empathize with their frustration.

Brennan Armstrong has had a record-breaking season. He led the ACC in passing yards and total offense by a wide margin. He leads the NCAA in total offense per game and is second in the country in passing yards, trailing only Western Kentucky’s Bailey Zappe. Armstrong threw for at least 300 yards in ten games and at least 400 yards in six games this season. Of the top 10 single-game passing performances in all of college football this season, Brennan Armstrong has three of them, including 554 passing yards at North Carolina, the second-most of any quarterback in a single game this entire season. Armstrong’s 4,705 yards of total offense this season is a UVA record and the fifth-most in ACC history. His 4,449 passing yards is a UVA record and the fourth-most in ACC history.

Other

7JKKTQCGAZCYXDMX7PFQLHYQRE.jpg

Ithaca Falls is one of 22 stops on the new Ithaca Waterfalls Challenge recently launched by Visit Ithaca. Stu Gallagher Photography | Photo provided by VisitIthaca.com

New waterfall challenge in Ithaca includes popular spots, hidden gems (PS; Hernandez)

Don’t go chasing waterfalls? We say chase away with a new challenge in Upstate New York bringing people some of the 150 gobsmacking cascades Ithaca has to offer.

Launched by Visit Ithaca, part of the Ithaca/Tompkins County Convention and Visitors Bureau, their Waterfalls Challenge lists 22 well-known and hidden gems around the area.

The challenge completely free to participate in, though some state park fees may apply. The challenge is also completely done through your mobile phone. Once you register for the Waterfalls Challenge, you will get a link delivered to you via email or text message. This will open to the mobile site where you will see the 22 spots you can check-in to, complete with map location and a little bit of information about each waterfall.

The list will take you to popular spots like Buttermilk Falls and Taughannock, but also includes some you may not have heard of like Wells Falls and Denison Falls.

As if the chance to check out these perfect plunges wasn’t enough, the Waterfalls Challenge also rewards participants for reaching certain benchmarks. Check in at 10 locations and you will receive a water bottle. Once you reach 18 check-ins, participants will be awarded a beanie-style hat. All prizes are while supplies last.

You don’t have to wait for warmer weather to start this challenge. Head to see the rushing waters of spring, sparkles of sunlight in summer, the colorful mosaic of changing leaves in the fall, and dramatic views of winter. All of these waterfalls and trails are worth a visit any time of year.

According to Visit Ithaca, Debby Tulino, an Ohio resident who the Finger Lakes for her fourth year in 2021, was the first person to complete the Waterfalls Challenge.

“We’ve found that Ithaca is a good base camp providing plenty to do that we try to stay a week each year,” Tulino said. “The challenge pass is something new for us as it expanded our hiking options and introduced us to new areas, like the bike/hike trails and Sapsucker Woods.”