Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Cathode-Ray Tube Day!

The cathode-ray tube, originally known as the kinescope, was patented on today's date in 1938 by Vladimir Zworykin, a Russian immigrant. Cathode-Ray Tube Day commemorates this event. A cathode-ray tube is a vacuum tube made from a large glass envelope that has one or more electron guns and a phosphorescent screen that's used to display images. The images are created when electron beams are modulated, accelerated, and deflected onto a screen. The images may represent pictures on computer monitors and television sets, electrical waveforms on oscilloscopes, radar targets, and more.

Cathodes are negatively charged electrodes. Cathode rays were discovered in 1869 in early Crookes tubes. The earliest prototype of the cathode-ray tube was invented by German physicist Ferdinand Braun in 1897 and is known as the Braun tube. The first televisions to use the cathode-ray tube were made in the 1920s. In 1925, a television was made that received images with a 40-line resolution; by 1927, the lines had increased to 100. The first commercially available television sets with cathode-ray tubes were manufactured in Germany in 1934. RCA received a trademark for the term cathode-ray tube in 1932, and it was released to the public domain in 1950. By the late 2000s, cathode-ray tubes had largely been replaced by "flat panel" display technologies like LCD, OLED display, and plasma display. But for the great significance they played in the twentieth century, we celebrate them today with Cathode-Ray Tube Day.

SU News

61aa7562b6595.image.jpg

Jason Beck has tutored UVA’s quarterbacks since joining the staff in 2016.

Syracuse football targeting former Virginia offensive coordinator Robert Anae for opening (report) (PS; Carlson)

The Syracuse football team is targeting two members of last year’s Virginia coaching staff for its openings at offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, according to a report from Yahoo Sports college football writer Pete Thamel.

Thamel reported on Sunday night that the Orange is targeting former UVA offensive coordinator Robert Anae and current quarterbacks coach Jason Beck for those spots at SU.

Sources: Syracuse is targeting two Virginia coaches for open spots on the Orange's offensive coaching staff – recently departed UVA OC Robert Anae as the offensive coordinator and current QB coach Jason Beck as the QB coach.
— Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) December 20, 2021

Virginia had a very successful year in 2021 on offense but head coach Bronco Mendenhall made the surprising decision to step down following a 6-6 season, one in which UVA struggled on defense.

Virginia had the conference’s most prolific passing offense last season, led by quarterback Brennan Armstrong. The Cavaliers passed for 392.6 yards per game and finished fourth in the ACC in scoring, averaging 34.6 points per game.

While Armstrong’s passing stats this season were noteworthy, Anae and Beck have also succeeded with dual-threat quarterbacks in recent seasons, something that could be critical if they wind up at SU, where Garrett Shrader is currently the projected starter for the Orange.

Anae, a former offensive line coach, has been a coordinator for nearly a decade with Mendenhall, first at BYU and then at UVA. Beck, a former BYU quarterback, has coached his quarterbacks during that run.

Syracuse Lands Long Snapper Ethan Stangle as Preferred Walk-On (SI; McAllister)

Long snapper Ethan Stangle has committed to Syracuse as a preferred walk-on, he announced on Sunday. Stangle is rated the 43rd best long snapper in the 2022 recruiting cycle by Kohl's Professional Camps. Stangle plays for John Carroll High in Maryland and is listed at 6-1, 220 pounds.

"First I would like to thank God for all of the blessings he has given me and my family in my life," Stangle said in a Twitter post. "I would like to thank my parents for this crazy ride this past year they have taken me through and all the support they have given me and helped me to make this life changing decision. Thank you to my dad for every day catching snaps and helping me to become the snapper I have become. Thank you to my mom for pushing me to work harder and always being there for me in the ups and downs in this process. Thank you to all of my coaches in my time at John Carroll for helping me in my high school career, especially thank you to my head coach Ken Brinkman and Jake Hughes. And to all of the other coaches I have had in my time here at John Carroll thank you for pushing me to become a better version of myself whether it was on or off the field.

"And to Adam Tanalski who made me become a better snapper since I met him last year and has helped me through this whole process. And to his lead snapping training Travis for helping me become a better snapper and a great mentor to me. To my HLS boys, a group of my best friends thank you for pushing me and creating a bond that will never fade. WIthout further to say, I am proud to say I am committed to Syracuse University. Thank you to coach Ligashesky and the rest of the staff for the tremendous opportunity. The real work starts now! Go Orange!"

FionaNoever_Football_Syracuse_WakeForest_05-scaled-825x510-1.jpg

Sean Tucker, pictured here against Wake Forest, became the first Orange RB to rush for more than 1,400 yards in a season. (Photo by Fiona Noever)

Sean Tucker's All-American journey, from unranked to unforgettable (thenewshouse.com; Zulkofske)

The other high school football players left after practice ended. But some nights, one kid stayed behind, inching closer to his and his father’s annual goal of getting bigger, faster and stronger.

“We’d take advantage of going into the gym as long as the door was open or we could find someone with the key,” Steve Tucker said. “There were a lot of times where we closed the gym. Locked the door, turned the lights out and left.”

The greatest single season for a running back in Syracuse football history started among youth football fields and high school tracks in Owings Mill, Maryland, and after practice, in the Calvert Hall College High School weight room.

Sean Tucker, now a sophomore at Syracuse University, was that kid. A kid, now, with a résumé full of accolades that haven’t been earned by a Syracuse player in years.

After his second year with SU, Tucker earned First Team All-American recognition from the Football Writers Association of America and from ESPN, joining Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little as the only Orange running backs to earn the distinction. Tucker added Second-Team All-American honors from the Walter Camp Football Foundation and the Associated Press. He became the first Syracuse running back to earn All-American honors from any organization since Little in 1966.

I'm pleased to have received multiple All-American honors. I'm thankful for my Oline doing their best all season and to the fans for supporting Cuse football! pic.twitter.com/71E6nH2HVt
— Sean Tucker (@seantucker2020) December 18, 2021

The 1,496 rushing yards in Tucker’s First-Team All-ACC season surpassed the 1,372-yard single-season Syracuse record Joe Morris set in 1979. Tucker credits all of this season’s success to training with his father and building a work ethic that kept him dedicated to his goals.

Michigan State’s Kenneth Walker III and Iowa State’s Breece Hall, 2021’s Consensus All-American running backs, declared for the NFL Draft earlier this week. Tucker will have buzz as one of the best running backs in the country before next year’s college football season begins.

But Tucker didn’t have a star or recruiting rating next to his name when Dino Babers and the Orange offered him a scholarship. Syracuse’s latest All-American running back started high school football as a cornerback.

Frank Palomo, then Calvert Hall’s Director of Football Operations, scouted Tucker when he was in eighth grade playing a variety of defensive secondary positions for a select middle school football team. When Palomo recruited Tucker to play for Calvert Hall, he envisioned his future as a defensive back, impressed by the physicality of his game.

max-punting-678x381.jpg

2022 Syracuse punter commit Max von Marburg. (Courtesy, Max von Marburg.)

2022 punter Max von Marburg 'can't wait' to join Syracuse - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

One of the surprises of the 2022 early signing period for Syracuse was the Orange landing a commitment from Australian punter Max von Marburg. We spoke to him about his journey from over 10,000 miles away to Central New York on this week’s The Juice on the Cuse Podcast, presented by SNY.tv.

Von Marburg was not on the radars of major recruiting services, but the Orange offered him a scholarship back in November, and he immediately accepted.

He comes via Pro Kick Australia, an organization that identifies and trains kickers to become college prospects. The program has produced six Ray Guy Award winners, with Kentucky’s Max Duffy being the most recent award winner in 2019.

Von Marburg detailed his recruitment process with the Orange, citing SU’s success with special teams as a huge reason he accepted the offer on the spot. Former Syracuse punter Riley Dixon is currently the New York Giants’ starting punter, and Sterling Hofrichter was the Atlanta Falcon’s punter in 2020.

Though Von Marburg grew up in rural Australia several hours outside of Melbourne, he was exposed to American football at an early age from his mother, who attended Penn State.

But his interest grew exponentially several years ago when he found a YouTube video on Michael Dickson, a Sydney native who is currently the punter for the Seattle Seahawks after winning the 2017 Ray Guy Award with Texas.

The more he read about Dickson, the more he wanted to pursue kicking. Shortly thereafter, he connected with Pro Kick Australia.

He’ll arrive on campus in summer 2022, and wants Orange fans to know this about him.

“I can’t wait to get over,” von Marburg said. “I’m going to be doing everything my power to make sure we’re one of the premier special teams units in the US.”

Afterward, editor in chief Brad Bierman calls in to break down the remainder of Syracuse’s early signing period class, and looks forward to the work that remains to be done through the transfer portal.

Clemson Football: Tigers dynasty seemingly dying (saturdayblitz.com; Lloyd)

Dealing with both a loss of valuable personnel and the rising ACC Atlantic, the Clemson football dynasty just might be as good as dead.

For the past six years, the Clemson football program has been the face of ACC football. The Tigers’ dominance in that stretch was so elite that opposing fans were hoping that their teams could just keep the margin of defeat within 20 points.

That run just might be coming to an end, though, as there is little for Clemson to smile upon in the college football world today. The two main reasons for this are the Tigers’ drop in personnel (on both the roster and sideline), and the improvement of the ACC’s Atlantic division.

The biggest hit so far has undoubtedly been the departure of Dabo Swinney’s defensive coordinator, Brent Venables.

Most uninformed fans would probably not think too much of this, as fellow powerhouses like Alabama lose personnel all the time and merely slap in a replacement and move on. That’s not how Clemson football is used to operating, though.

The Tigers have not developed much of a habit for replacing coordinators, as said coordinators haven’t felt much of a need to relocate in the last six years. But now it is happening and at the worst possible time.

Venables wasn’t some schmuck, blindly brought in to do a simple job for a season or two. Rather, he was the DC for Clemson football throughout the entirety of their dynasty (having held the position since 2012).

From then to now, he also served a couple of other important positions, including linebackers coach and assistant head coach.

In other words, Venables took on a lot of responsibilities for the Tigers for several years, and now he is out the door without as much as a how-do-you-do. To label that as a concern would be a hefty understatement.

Alongside Venables, Tony Elliott also departed for his own head coaching gig at Virginia. Elliott covered a multitude of positions over his 10 years on the Clemson sideline, but his biggest was offensive coordinator. So that means the Tigers have lost two crucial Swiss Army knives back-to-back.

Virginia Tech football: Ryan Smith leaves for similar position at Northwestern (gobblercountry.com; Manning)

Brent Pry saw one of two members of former head coach Justin Fuente’s coaching staff he wanted to retain, leave Blacksburg for another opportunity. According to Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports, cornerbacks coach Ryan Smith is leaving Virginia Tech to take a similar position at Northwestern.

Sources: Northwestern has agreed to hire Ryan Smith as the school’s cornerbacks coach. Smith spent the last two years at Virginia Tech as the pass game coordinator and has been at JMU, Elon and GA’d at Penn State.
— Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) December 19, 2021

This one is a bit of a head-scratcher. It’s no secret Smith was looking around. However, many Virginia Tech fans wondered why he wasn’t on the road recruiting with Pry and J.C. Price over the last two weeks if he was being retained. Pry did want to retain him, but it’s likely his offer had an expiration date.

It always made sense for Pry to retain Smith. Smith, who came to Blacksburg before the 2020 season from James Madison, where he was cornerbacks coach for one season. Before JMU, he was cornerbacks coach at Elon for two seasons.

His break in coaching came at Penn State, coincidentally enough, as a grad assistant under Pry for two seasons beginning in 2015.

2021 Top 25 Most-Valuable Teams (RX; HM)

2021 Top 25 Most-Valuable Teams

Just a little something to round out the day...
These are the Top 25 most valuable programs in college football

Which school is the most surprising? pic.twitter.com/965GctocFP
— FOX College Football (@CFBONFOX) December 13, 2021
Here's the breakdown by conference:
12 SEC* schools

7 Big Ten
3 Pac-12
2 ACC
1 Independent
*counting Texas and Oklahoma

Just 2 ACC teams in the top 25 is the main reason the TV contract is so low.
Now, breaking into the top 25 would be tough to say the least, but the ACC ought to be able to pack the 26-40 range (for all I know, maybe they do?).

2021 ACC Bowls Ranked by Watchability (RX; HM)

2021 ACC Bowls Ranked by Watchability

Having a rough time getting fired up to watch this year's ACC bowls? Worse yet - are you thinking of watching an SEC bowl game? Perish the thought! From SI, here are Bowl Watchability Rankings: One Reason to Tune In to Every Matchup (ACC-related only; all times Eastern), starting with the least watchable...

0. Military Bowl: Boston College vs. East Carolina
Date: 2:30 p.m. on Dec. 27, ESPN
Watch it because … Boston College QB Phil Jurkovec is playing after a month of rest. Jurkovec injured his hand earlier this season in what many thought would end his season. Lo and behold, he returned last month. But he hasn’t been his usual self. Maybe a few weeks off will give us the old Phil Jurkovec.
Early line: Boston College -3

My Comment: If you live in North Carolina or New England, you shouldn't need a reason to watch!

Other

CWHDWRGFLRGEHHEPP2D722SG5U.JPG

The sidewalks are crowded with Christmas shoppers near the Loews Theatre on South Salina Street near Jefferson Street in downtown Syracuse in 1954. Photo courtesy of the Onondaga Historical Association.

Check out vintage photos of Christmastime shopping at Syracuse’s malls, downtown (PS; $; Croyle)

Even before the Covid-19 pandemic, American shoppers were beginning to make the move away from brick-and-mortar stores and malls for their holiday shopping, preferring the ease and convenience of online commerce.

Some figure why should they worry about finding a place to park, bad weather, sore feet, and competing with crowds, when they can find the gifts for their families and friends in the warmth and comfort of their home, a click of a mouse or finger.

But it was not always that way.

For generations, Christmas shopping meant pulling on your boots and coats to go downtown and browse through the many shops and department stores.

Years later, shoppers migrated to one of the many local shopping malls: Penn Can, Shoppingtown, Fayetteville, Great Northern and, eventually Carousel Center.

Those years of bustling stores and streets have been preserved in archives from Syracuse’s newspapers.

Take a look back through these photos showing a time when shopping was not a digital or virtual experience, when folks gathered in downtown Syracuse stores and, later, at suburban shopping malls for their holiday shopping.