Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Grilled-Cheese-Sandwich-Day-April-12-1024x512_1492004055264_19641527_ver1.0.jpg

Welcome to National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day!

A simple combination of bread, cheese, and a little butter has become one of the greatest comfort foods ever created: the grilled cheese sandwich! Cheese and bread have been being combined since the ancient Romans, but it wasn't until the twentieth century that the grilled cheese sandwich began to take shape.

Two factors set the stage for the rise of grilled cheese: inexpensive processed cheese and sliced bread. James L. Kraft opened his first cheese plant in 1914 in Illinois. The following year he invented pasteurized cheese—cheap processed cheese that wouldn't spoil when it was being transported long distances. Shortly thereafter, in the late 1920s, sliced bread came on the market. The sandwiches made at this time often had names like "toasted cheese" and "melted cheese." Recipes had grated cheese with a binder such as salad dressing, white sauce, or mustard.

SU News

Top 2024 New Jersey DB Willy Love Has 'Amazing' Syracuse Visit (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football has been very busy on the recruiting trail over the last few weeks with commitments and hosting a plethora of talented visitors. One of them was 2024 Camden (NJ) Woodrow Wilson defensive back Willy Love.

"Cuse was amazing," Love said. "The best parts of the entire trip was touring the campus and seeing how much love the players get. How it is being a Cuse player. There's no NFL team around so Syracuse is the town's favorite guys. They support them at a high level. I noticed it when I saw the stores and the amount of people wearing Syracuse. How nicely and kindly they treated the recruits."

During the visit, Love added a Syracuse offer to his list that also includes Boston College, Georgia, Ole Miss, Penn State, Rutgers and Texas A&M.

"I was talking to the head coach (Dino Babers)," Love said. "He said if I had the juice and Cuse was the place. That's very understood because they have my blood cousin Duce Chestnut. I was excited and happy."

Love has spoken with his cousin about Chestnut's experience at Syracuse thus far.

"He speaks highly of Cuse and would love when he leaves for me to carry on in his footsteps," Love said.

In addition, Love spent time with some of the Syracuse coaches.

12944463_c4e54fc4e20c43f3b3bb7a89be319908.jpg

Syracuse football recruiting: 3-star Maryland OL Tamarus Walker comes away from visit impressed (247sports.com; $; Bailey)

Syracuse football made a strong first impression on Class of 2023 offensive lineman Tamarus Walker this weekend. The junior at McDonogh High School in Owings Mills, Md., took an unofficial visit on Saturday, touring campus and watching the program wrap up spring practice with its third scrimmage.

Walker spent most of his time with new director of high school relations Khalil Ahmad, who made the initial contact on April 3 and connected with Walker via a "down to earth" approach. He also got the chance to meet Orange offensive line coach/run game coordinator Mike Schmidt.

"The visit was amazing," Walker said. "My family and I really enjoyed the hospitality. Speaking to the offensive line coach at the end of the visit was really informative. Overall, Syracuse football has so much tradition and the coaches and recruiters stressed how they were getting the program back to where it once was."

Rashard Perry On Syracuse Commitment: 'Everything Just Felt Like It Was Home For Me' (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football landed a 6-3, 245 pound defensive lineman from Western New York on Saturday in Rashard Perry.

"It's got everything that I need," Perry said. "It's closer to my hometown. My parents can easily come there. The programs that I want to major in (sports science), they already have them down there. The staff and all the team, instantly made me feel comfortable with my surroundings there. I'm not nervous. Everything just felt like it was home for me."

The plan was not necessarily to commit on the visit, but the trip itself solidified the fact that Perry found his future home.

"The visit just went so well that I decided to do it," Perry said. "It was the practice. The starters weren't in so the second team got to show their abilities. The guys who don't really get as much of a chance got to make tackles, and the whole team just lit up with joy. Hyping them up. The coaches were happy too. I was like, that's the same energy I always like."

Once he made the decision that he wanted to play at Syracuse, it was time to tell the coaches of his intentions.

"They were very excited," Perry said. "They were like, 'if you're one hundred percent about this then we're all aboard.' They were happy about it."

Syracuse Football: Will size be an issue for Orange in the 2022 season? (itlh; Lucente)

The 2022 campaign is a make-or-break season for the Syracuse football team, but the appearance of a physically small team has been alleged by segments of the fanbase in the aftermath of the spring game. I wanted to look into it and find out: How does Syracuse football compare to their first two opponents (Louisville and Purdue) in the size department?

Below, I have charted the average size for the offense and defense of the Orange, Louisville & Purdue:

Team Syracuse Louisville Purdue
QB 6’4 224 lbs 6’3 209 lbs 6’2 199 lbs
RB 5’11 203 lbs 5’10 204 lbs 5’11 219 lbs
FB 6’0 293 lbs N/A N/A
WR 6’1 194 lbs 6’0 188 lbs 6’1 197 lbs
TE 6’6 243 lbs 6’3 240 lbs 6’5 241 lbs
OL 6’5 299 lbs 6’4 298 lbs 6’5 305 lbs
DL 6’4 251 lbs 6’3 263 lbs 6’3 278 lbs
LB 6’2 226 lbs 6’1 221 lbs 6’2 234 lbs
DB 5’11 188 lbs 6’0 190 lbs 6’1 200 lbs

What becomes clear to me, upon first looking at this chart, is that there are some positions where Syracuse football will be just fine from a size standpoint. The offensive line, linebackers, receivers and tight ends stack up very well against our early competition from a size standpoint. Receiver also seems to compare fairly well, contrary to my own spring game observations which described the unit as small.

We’re taking a look at the Syracuse football team, from a size perspective.

That being said, there are some units where size is a concern. Syracuse fans have talked about their concern regarding the defensive line, and the numbers bear that concern out. The defensive line is 12 pounds lighter on average than their Louisville counterparts, and a staggering 27 pounds lighter on average than their opponents at Purdue.

The defensive backs have a size deficit as well, coming in shorter and lighter than both their Louisville and Purdue counterparts. Though this unit’s size deficit is not nearly as great as the size deficit of the defensive line, and should not have nearly as great of an impact on their ability to perform.

Overall, Orange fans should take this data as a lesson to not look at one unit of the team and apply their observations about them to the team as a whole. Though the Syracuse football defensive line is indeed far smaller than average, every other unit is well within the range of their early Power 5 opponents when it comes to height and weight.

ACC football: Every team's toughest non-conference game in 2022 (247sports.com; Nivison)

Before the lull of college football's post-spring offseason begins, let's take a closer look at schedules around the ACC and determine the non-conference games to watch for every program. Conference games are important when it comes to the standings, but non-conference games offer teams the chance to build confidence and get closer to bowl eligibility.

Looking at the ACC, the conference has some fascinating non-conference games, many of which come in the first few weeks of the season. For instance, Mike Norvell and Florida State faces a big test against LSU in New Orleans. Additionally, Mario Cristobal has a big opportunity to prove himself at Miami with a road trip to Texas A&M.

Other teams, like Georgia Tech and Louisville, close the season with non-conference rivalry games. Unfortunately for both of those programs, they have performed quite poorly in those games of late, and it may not get any easier in 2022.

Let’s take a look at the schedule of each ACC team and identify the toughest non-conference game of the 2022 season.

Georgia Tech | at Georgia | Nov. 26 — It doesn’t get any tougher than playing the defending national champions. The Bulldogs are losing a lot of talent to the 2022 NFL Draft, but they will still be a contender in the fall. On top of that, Georgia Tech has been awful against its in-state rival of late. The Yellow Jackets have lost the last four games in that series, and they have all been blowouts.
Boston College | at Notre Dame | Nov. 19 — Boston College quarterback Phil Jurkovec will try to return to Notre Dame and get a win, but it won’t be easy. The Fighting Irish are clearly the more talented team on paper, but the Eagles will have a chance to pull off the upset. Jeff Hafley will be the more experienced head coach in this matchup with 2022 being Marcus Freeman’s first in that role.

Pittsburgh | vs. Tennessee | Sept. 10 — Last season, Pittsburgh went into Neyland and left with a win as Kenny Pickett lit up the Tennessee defense in a shootout. This year, however, the Panthers will not have Pickett. Kedon Slovis did transfer in from USC, but this will only be his second game at Pitt. Tennessee returns a lot of talent and will provide a great early-season test for Pat Narduzzi’s group.
Wake Forest | vs. Army | Oct. 8 — The Demon Deacons have a rather light non-conference schedule this year. While their game against Liberty will be tricky, this one against Army may prove to be the toughest. Under head coach Jeff Monken, Army has put a scare into some much bigger programs in recent years, so Wake Forest cannot sleep on this matchup.
Syracuse | vs Notre Dsame | Oct. 29
Syracuse took a step forward in 2021 with a 5-7 record, and it will try to get back to bowl eligibility this year. With Notre Dame one of the non-conference opponents, that will be tough. The Fighting Irish went through a coaching change in the offseason, but they will still be favored in most of their games, including this one. The Orange haven’t had much luck against Notre Dame in recent history. Syracuse has dropped the last four in the series by at least 16 points.

Clemson football: Dabo Swinney names Tigers' starting quarterback for 2022 season - College Football HQ (SI; Parks)

Clemson wrapped up its spring football practice with the annual Orange and White Game at Memorial Stadium, setting the team up for its summer workouts.

One of the biggest questions on head coach Dabo Swinney's to-do list this preseason was deciding who his team's starting quarterback will be for the 2022 season.

After watching junior D.J. Uiagalelei and 5-star 2022 signee Cade Klubnik battle for the job, it looks like he has an answer.

"D.J.'s definitely our starter," Swinney said. "He's had a great spring and hasn't done anything not to be the starter. Cade is a really talented player. I mean, we've got two guys that I think can win at a high level. Just like when Trevor and D.J. were coming out of the spring.

"It's not often that you can say that, but I've seen enough, from both those guys, to know that. It's a good situation."

Uiagalelei brings 5-star pedigree of his own, but didn't play up to his potential last season. In his first full year as starter, he passed for 2,246 yards with nine touchdowns and 10 interceptions as Clemson's overall offensive production faltered.

Virginia Tech Football: Hokies' 2022 Schedule Analysis (athlonsports.com; Kinne)

Virginia Tech kicks off the Brent Pry era on Sept. 2 and what follows is a fairly unusual schedule. Three of the Hokies' 2022 games will be played on a Thursday or a Friday, beginning with the season opener at Old Dominion. Interestingly, Virginia Tech is one of two ACC teams that will play two road games against Group of 5 competition, something that is usually a rare occurrence in the Power 5.

The meat of the schedule is in the middle as the Hokies play arguably their four toughest ACC contests all in the month of October with their most difficult non-conference game as a lead-in at the end of September. While Virginia Tech doesn't draw a huge power in the non-conference slate and avoids Clemson in the crossover games, the Hokies have very few layups on the 2022 schedule.

Virginia Tech Hokies 2022 Schedule

Bye: Week 8

Week 1 - Sept. 2 at Old Dominion (Norfolk, Va.)

In Ricky Rahne's first year as head coach, the Monarchs went to the Myrtle Beach Bowl in 2021, which was the second postseason appearance in the program's brief history. ODU pulled off a massive upset in 2018 when Virginia Tech made its only trip to Norfolk.

Week 2 - Sept. 10 vs. Boston College (Blacksburg, Va.)

The Hokies' ACC season commences in week two when Boston College visits Lane Stadium. The Eagles will feature a high-flying offense with quarterback Phil Jurkovec, running back Pat Garwo, and receiver Zay Flowers, but the offensive line and much of the defense need to be restocked.

Week 3 - Sept. 17 vs. Wofford (Blacksburg, Va.)

From 2016 through 2019, the Terriers went 37-15 and qualified for the FCS playoffs each season. But Wofford came out of the pandemic a much different team, going 1-10 and 0-8 in the Southern Conference in 2021.

Week 4 - Sept. 22 vs. West Virginia (Blacksburg, Va.)

The Hokies' signature non-conference game comes when the Mountaineers invade Blacksburg on a Thursday night to open week four. The transfer portal hit Neal Brown's team hard as quarterback Jarret Doege and leading receiver Winston Wright along with three of the team's top five tacklers have moved on.

NC State football hosted its Spring Game on Saturday, April 9. The starters, wearing red jerseys, took a 50-7 victory over the rest of the team, who donned white jerseys. The day also featured a special play done with game sponsor GiGi’s Playhouse, recognition of former NC State players and their families and lots of Wolfpack spirit.

Other

2Q3KETCD7ZBBBJNL5M3OWXNNOY.JPG

Phoebe's, classic French onion soup is one of the items on their menu for Easter lunch.Photo by David Lassman / The Post-Standard

Easter Brunch and dinner in CNY: Menus, prices and how to make reservations (PS; Dellinger)

Restaurants and eateries have forgone Easter brunches for the last two years due to Covid-19 concerns. This year, many of them are back with delicious brunch fare on the menu for Easter Sunday, which is April 17. Others are doing lunch, dinner, or have take-out available.

Some venues listed are already sold out - but are doing a Mother’s Day meal. Book early for Mother’s Day, because reservations are going fast.

Here’s the list:

Arad Evans Inn

7206 E. Genesee St.
Fayetteville
315-637-2020
Website
Seating: 12:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Price: A la carte dinner items range from $20 - $36. Reservations required. Open for Mother’s Day

Bridie Manor

1830 Bridie Manor
Oswego
315-342-1830
Website
Seating: Restaurant opens at 3 p.m. for dinner

Price: A la Carte menu items range from $6.95 to $21.95. . Reservations recommended.

Elderberry Pond

728 Center St. Road
Auburn
315-252-6025
Website
Seating: noon, 2:30 p.m. and 5 p.m.

Price: Adults - $42, children ages 6 to 12 - $18. Reservations required. Open for Mother’s Day.

Fireside Inn

2345 W. Genesee Road
Baldwinsville
315-303-0779
Website
Seatings: Noon, 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.

Price: Adults - $24.99, children ages 5 to 10 - $12.99. Reservations required. Open for Mother’s Day.

Heritage Hill Brewhouse

3149 Sweet Road
Jamesville
315-766-7885
Website
Seating: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Price: A la carte menu items range from $9 to $29. Also open for Mother’s Day.

Mandana Inn

1937 W. Lake Road
Skaneateles
315-685-7798
Website
Seatings: 10:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m.

Price: Adults - $34 adults, children age 10 and under - $12, children under age 5 - free. Reservations required.

Meier’s Creek Brewing Company

33 Rippleton Road
Cazenovia
315-815-4022
Website
Seating: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Price: A la carte menu items range from $10 to $17. No reservation necessary.

Phoebe’s Restaurant & Coffee Lounge

900 E. Genesee St.
Syracuse
315-475-5154
Website
Seatings: 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Price: A la carte lunch menu options range in price from $13 to $20. Reservations are recommended. Open for Mother’s Day.

Press Room Pub

220 Herald Place
Syracuse
315-960-0010
Website
Seatings: 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. and 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.

Price: Adults - $29.95, children ages 5 to 15 - $14.95; children age 5 and under, free. Reservations required.

Happy Press Room reopened, one of my favorite spots downtown