Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Lost Sock Memorial Day!

How often have you reached into your sock drawer or laundry basket, perplexed to find one sock, but not the one that matches it? Chances are that you have held onto your lone socks, with hopes that someday their matches would return. Lost Sock Memorial Day is for looking for those lost socks one last time, honoring them, and then letting go by throwing away or putting to another use those unpaired socks that have been lingering in your sock drawer.

How to Observe Lost Sock Memorial Day

Celebrate the day by trying to pair up any of your solitary socks. If you can't find those that are missing after a good amount of searching, accept that they are lost forever and move on with your life. Perhaps you could have a moment of silence for them, and then remove the unpaired socks from your drawer. You could just throw them away, but you could use a few of them to make sock monkeys or sock puppets. You could also use your socks for rags.

SU News

Former SU football assistant coach Fred Reed has died at 54 (PS; Mink)

Fred Reed, who spent three seasons at Syracuse as an assistant coach from 2013-15, died Sunday at the age of 54.

Reed was in his seventh season as an assistant at Eastern Michigan, where he had coached both corners and safeties and had been the defensive pass game coordinator. The school posted the news on its athletics web site.

“Please keep Coach Reed’s family in your thoughts and prayers during this incredibly difficult time,” Eastern Michigan coach Chris Creighton said in a statement.

“It is impossible to capture what he means to all of us right now.”

Reed coached the defensive backs at Syracuse for three seasons under former coach Scott Shafer, who hired him from Ohio as the school transitioned from the Big East to the ACC.

Reed coached or recruited to Syracuse several notable defensive backs, including Durell Eskridge, Keon Lyn, Chris Fredrick, Julian Whigham, Brandon Reddish, Ri’Shard Anderson and Antwan Cordy.

UOLJUG6JZNAUHA2SUJYIGXMB4Y.jpg

Philadelphia Inquirer

Colorado Commit Naquil Betrand Schedules Syracuse Official Following Unofficial Visit (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2023 Philadelphia (PA) Northeast offensive lineman Naquil Betrand has been committed to Colorado since mid March. That has not stopped other schools from recruiting the 6-7, 310 pounder nor stopped him from visiting. Cincinnati, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Texas A&M and West Virginia have all offered since his commitment to the Buffaloes. On Saturday, Betrand took an unofficial visit to Syracuse to get a closer look at the Orange.

"Got my lanyard and changed and took pictures," Betrand said. "I got to see the trophies, national championship, the wall of fame, Donovan McNabb posters, stuff like that. Then we went on a tour of the whole campus and the facilities. Went to all the facilities around the school like where my classes would be at if I came there and my major and everything like that. We toured the field, the Dome. The Dome is crazy. I've never even been in a dome before, so to see that was crazy.

"After the Dome, we went to the inside practice facilities and the Carmelo Anthony building. Saw all the basketball courts. Went to the weight room with the Muscle Milk and all that. Went to the apartments complex to see where I'd live at. Crazy. You get your own walk-in closet, your own personal bathroom. That's where it's at right there."

1652095348600.jpeg

Nick Oliveira 'Freaking Out' After Syracuse Offer (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2023 Mullica Hill (NJ) Clearview offensive lineman Nick Oliveira picked up an offer from Syracuse on Thursday. Oliveira also holds scholarship opportunities from Cincinnati, Connecticut, Oregon, Temple and Vanderbilt, among others. He has an official visit scheduled to Vanderbilt and has already taken unofficial trips to schools like Penn State, UConn, Oregon and Delaware.

"(Wide receivers) coach (Mike) Johnson called me and let me know that I was being offered," Oliveira said. "It was awesome. I was like, 'holy crap. Syracuse just offered me.' I was freaking out."

What was it about Syracuse that caused the the 6-5, 280 pounder to freak out?

"It's an amazing program and a great chance for me to make it pro," Oliveira said.

Thought nothing has been scheduled yet, Oliveira says he is working on setting up a visit to get a closer look at the campus and football program. He also knows what he will be looking to see on the trip.

Syracuse Football: ESPN details spring football pluses, what’s still missing (itlh; Adler)

Two ESPN writers recently published an interesting piece, following the conclusion of spring football, where they examined what they learned and what they still need to learn for each team in the Atlantic Coast Conference, including of course Syracuse football.

The main take-away from ESPN’s Andrea Adelson and David Hale regarding the ‘Cuse, as it pertains to what these experts say they learned this spring, centers around the Orange offense.

And there are some encouraging nuggets from the ESPN writers here, by the way.

They wrote in part that the Syracuse football offense, as we eye the 2022 season in a few months’ time, “might look a bit more like Dino Babers’ offenses have usually looked. Credit new offensive coordinator Robert Anae, who worked magic with Virginia’s offense a year ago, with an up-tempo passing attack that should dovetail nicely with Babers’ history of fast-paced play.”
Both Anae and Orange quarterbacks coach Jason Beck left the Cavaliers for the ‘Cuse, and their arrival has a boatload of Syracuse football fans excited for what the team’s offense could end up doing in the 2022 term.

Axe: Should SU football play Penn State? (quick takes) (PS; $; Axe)

Some quick takes on Syracuse football renewing a “rivalry” with Penn State, the Syracuse Crunch already in must-win territory and a Tucker Dordevic dilemma for SU lacrosse as soon as I wonder if I’ll ever get closer to a hole-in-one.

This close to a hole-in-one. 4th hole at Tecumseh Golf in Syracuse. 245 yard Par 4 while playing 9 with mom today. ⛳pic.twitter.com/WIEXeG1xJW
— Brent Axe (@BrentAxeMedia) May 8, 2022

Penn State Problem?

Syracuse football recently announced a home-and-home series with Penn State for the 2027 and 2028 seasons.

The addition of a prominent Big Ten program, not to mention SU’s second-most frequent opponent behind Pittsburgh (77 meetings), to the slate should be met with a near 100% approval rating.

There are some who believe Syracuse should avoid punching up on the non-conference schedule at all costs in order to save itself for the rigors of ACC play.

This theory is ridiculous for two reasons.

Syracuse Football: Renewed series with Big Ten giant all kinds of exciting (itlh; Adler)

The historic alliance announced last summer by the Atlantic Coast Conference and two other Power 5 leagues has appeared to help produce a renewed Northeast rivalry for Syracuse football.

The Orange athletics department announced via press release that Syracuse football will play a home-and-home series in 2027 and 2028 against Penn State out of the Big Ten Conference.

Per cuse.com, the Orange will travel to Beaver Stadium in University Park, Pa., for a match-up at Penn State in 2027, with the Nittany Lions traveling to the Dome in the 2028 battle.

According to an announcement by the Penn State athletics department, the Nittany Lions will host the Orange on Sept. 4, 2027. The game in Central New York will take place on Sept. 9, 2028.

The Syracuse football series versus Penn State dates back 100 years.

CAN1416_N46_letter.jpg

Syracuse University, Ensley Athletic Center | CannonDesign (cannondesign.com)

The athletic center has been sited to visually align with Skytop Road to the south. The building massing has been broken down with the addition of overlapping dormer windows. These dormers are designed to emulate the lighting conditions of the Carrier Dome’s tensile roof system, fulfilling the coaching staff’s goal of “practicing like you play.” This daylighting system provides a well-lit neutral background and minimizes energy usage.

The facility honors Syracuse University’s rich legacy of football success in numerous ways. First, the facility is named after Cliff Ensley, a walk-on who earned a football scholarship and became a three-sport standout at Syracuse in the late 1960s. Moreover, when players emerge from the locker rooms in the Manley Field House, they pass through Plaza 44 celebrating the school’s great running backs—Ernie David, Floyd Little and James Brown—en route to the new indoor practice facility.

Matt's Guess for 2022 Weeks 0-3 (RX; HM)

Bad news for fans of Elton John and Syracuse football and a rare time slot on ABC...

Matt's Guess for 2022 Weeks 0-3

Matt Sarzniak's 2022 CFB TV Guesses for Weeks 0 through 3 (ACC-related only):

Weeks 0 and 1:

Week 0

Saturday

4:30pm ACCN: Florida A&M at North Carolina
8pm ACCN: Duquesne at Florida State

Week 1

Thursday

7pm ACCN: VMI at Wake Forest
7:30pm ESPN: West Virginia at Pitt

Friday

7pm ESPN: Virginia Tech at Old Dominion
7pm ACCN: Temple at Duke

Saturday

12pm ESPN: NC State at ECU
12pm ACCN: Rutgers at Boston College
12:30pm ACC RSN: Richmond at Virginia
4pm ESPNU: North Carolina at Appalachian State
4pm ACCN: Louisville at Syracuse
7:30pm ABC: Notre Dame at Ohio State
7:30pm ACCN: Bethune-Cookman at Miami (FL)

Sunday

7:30pm ABC: Florida State vs. LSU

Monday

8pm ESPN: Clemson vs. Georgia Tech

WEEK 2:

Friday

8pm ESPN2: Louisville at UCF

Saturday

12pm ESPN: Tennessee at Pitt
12pm ESPNU: North Carolina at Georgia State
12pm SECN: Wake Forest at Vanderbilt
12pm ACCN: Furman at Clemson
12:30pm ACC RSN: Western Carolina at Georgia Tech
2:30pm NBC: Marshall at Notre Dame
3:30pm FS1: Virginia at Illinois
4pm ACCN: Charleston Southern at NC State
7pm CBSSN: Syracuse at UConn
7:30pm ACCN: Boston College at Virginia Tech
7:30pm BTN: Duke at Northwestern

WEEK 3:

Friday

7:30pm ESPN: Florida State at Louisville

Saturday

12pm ABC: Purdue at Syracuse
12pm ESPN: Miami(FL) at Texas A&M
12pm ACCN: Liberty at Wake Forest
12:30pm ACC RSNs: Wofford at Virginia Tech
2:30pm NBC: California at Notre Dame
3pm CBSSN: Pitt at Western Michigan
3:30pm ESPN: Texas Tech at NC State
3:30pm ESPN2: Ole Miss at Georgia Tech
4pm ACCN: Old Dominion at Virginia
7:30pm ACCN: Louisiana Tech at Clemson

Links, News, and Rumors: 2022 May 6th (RX; HM)

Links, News, and Rumors: 2022 May 6th

From CBS Sports: NCAA unlikely to meet constitution deadline as hot-button NIL issue disrupts college athletics - by Dennis Dodd

The NCAA Transformation Committee has until Aug. 1... Few sources consulted for this story believe that deadline has a chance of being to be met... the emerging NIL market isn't technically a talking point for the group at this momentous place in college history... Given the emergence of NIL, there is another subgroup that must be considered here...

So, what is on the committee's agenda?

In the next few months, roster sizes are expected to expand. Coaching staff sizes will be unlimited. The 400-plus pages of that NCAA rule book may be edited down to a few dozen. Divisions and conferences alone could decide sports sponsorship numbers. The minimum is 16, as defined by the NCAA. Who's to keep the SEC from raising that number to 20?
...this is the end of decades-long problems because Division III schools were allowed to vote on issues that impact Alabama football and North Carolina basketball... There was some consternation that all 32 Division I conferences weren't represented on the transformation committee... The fear, by some, is that all 32 conferences won't have automatic qualifiers to the NCAA Tournament...
For now, think more conservatively. The transformation committee could implement a "floor" of qualifications that it takes to remain at the Division I level. Think of sports sponsorship at a university level. Raise the minimum from 16 to 20, and a lot of schools couldn't afford it. Others would be hanging on by a thread financially...

Social Media, April 2022 (RX; HM)

Social Media, April 2022

Nowadays, if you want to reach your fans, you have to include social media. Which schools did the best during the month of April 2022? Here are some informative statistics, courtesy of SkullSparks:
College Athletics Departments generating the most interactions on official main social accounts in April 2022. SkullSparks Analytics pic.twitter.com/2MXxRLaH70
— SkullSparks (@SkullSparks) May 7, 2022
Obviously, this data was strongly influenced by the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship, with the two finalist teams occupying the top two spots.
ACC Athletic Departments with the most social media interactions in April 2022:

#2 N Carolina, 858k
#8 Notre Dame, 291k
#12 Virginia Tech, 161k

Not bad! You know I'm glad to see my Hokies sneak into the top dozen, too!

College football programs generating the most interactions on official team social accounts in April 2022. Archive: SkullSparks Analytics pic.twitter.com/SZMk277R9y
— SkullSparks (@SkullSparks) May 4, 2022
No surprise, only Notre Dame makes this list.

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/20...uld-scrap-divisional-format-as-early-as-2023/ (trojanwire.usatoday.com; Zemek)

The ACC scenario might have happened once...

It only makes sense, right? If a Power Five conference gets rid of divisions, that means its football championship game is always a matchup of the top two teams in the standings. This eliminates the possibility of what we have often seen in the ACC over the years: Clemson playing a four- or five-loss Coastal Division champion instead of the second-best team in the league.

Under that ACC scenario, the conference championship game was often a blowout and a bad look for the league. One of the two teams in the title game had no realistic chance of getting a second New Year’s Six bowl bid. It was frankly a waste of time.

The Pac-12 doesn’t want to continue to go down this road. Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News has more:

While an official pivot could be weeks or months away, it’s clear to us that the Pac-12 football model in place since the 2011 season won’t last the next four years.
Why four years? Because expansion of the College Football Playoff has been delayed until the 2026 season, leaving the conference to navigate four years of the four-team event.
As soon as the 2023 season, we expect structural changes to the Pac-12’s division format and, consequently, how the championship game participants are determined.
The current model leaves the conference at risk of an unranked division champion upsetting a highly-ranked division champion and thereby eliminating the Pac-12 from the CFP.
Eliminate divisions, and you can match the best teams.
The conference is several significant steps away from restructuring:
1) The coaches and athletic directors must approve.
2) The presidents and chancellors must sign off.
3) The NCAA must change the policy that governs participation in football championships.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/acc-football-ranking-rosters-2022 (athlonsports.com; Kinne)

The 2022 season will tell us a lot about where the ACC is going as a football conference. Clemson, despite winning 10 games, was not its usual self this past fall, and with no other programs truly stepping forward, the conference was out of the College Football Playoff hunt very early.

The question becomes, is that where the ACC is as a new world of college football develops? Is it a situation where, if Clemson does not challenge on the national stage, the conference has no shot at the playoff? Or will another player or two develop as a true title contender?

Related: Early ACC Football Predictions for 2022

The first order of business is to secure talent. With the 2022 signing periods a thing of the past, the major aspect of player procurement is behind us. The transfer portal will continue to hum, but now seems like a good time to analyze ACC rosters going into next season.

Below are the national recruiting ranking averages for ACC schools over the last five (2018-22) classes, according to 247Sports' Composite Team Rankings, and each team's record over the last five (2017-21) seasons. Obviously, this doesn't take into account attrition, but, over time, this should be considered relatively even across the conference.

Roster Rankings by Power 5 Conference: ACC I Big 12 I Big Ten I SEC

Ranking the ACC's College Football's Rosters in 2022

RkTeam'22'21'20'19'18AvgW/LConf
1Clemson10531077.061-837-4
2Miami15111627815.438-2427-14
3North Carolina111413302017.626-3516-26
4Florida State202322181118.826-3316-24
5NC State633643322640.039-2325-17
6Virginia Tech344476262440.834-2923-19
7Georgia Tech534827504444.421-3716-25
8Louisville544042703047.228-3416-26
9Virginia673349395949.434-2821-20
10Pittsburgh712945554849.637-2725-17
11Boston College403762647154.832-2919-23
12Duke515763496356.625-3610-32
13Syracuse706058575159.225-3513-29
14Wake Forest776660596465.238-2421-18

https://www.gobblercountry.com/2022...vett-is-a-hokie-acc-football-dematha-catholic (gobblercountry.com; Manning)

Brent Pry and the Virginia Tech football program received more good news Sunday on Mother’s Day as three-star athlete Dante Lovett announced his commitment to the Hokies on Instagram Live.

Lovett is commitment No. 5 for the Hokies in the 2023 recruiting class and the third in the past seven days, following a pair of offensive linemen in Hannes Hammer (Roanoke, Virginia) and Gabriel Arena (Harrisburg, Pennsylvania).

The Hokies beat out Maryland, Cincinnati and Boston College for Lovett. The home-state Terrapins were considered the favorite for Lovett, but Pry personally offered Lovett, and the Hokies quickly gained momentum in the past month.

COMMITED … #GOHOKIES pic.twitter.com/Xbs48VyUdI
— Dante Lovett (@dante_lovett) May 8, 2022
Lovett, at 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, plays high school football at DeMatha Catholic in Hyattsville, Maryland. He is listed as an athlete and is projected to play defense in college. Lovett is a terrific athlete with excellent length. He can play on either side of the ball, but it sounds like the Hokies like him on defense, and that's what Lovett prefers, too, considering Virginia Tech’s history of placing defensive backs in the NFL.

“I will be going to Virginia Tech,” Lovett told Brian Dohn of 247Sports. “I feel like with them having a new coach and him being a defensive guy, I feel like I can come in and make an impact. When I went on a visit, it just felt right to me and it felt like home.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79DbAHHWyFs (youtube; video)

2022 will be the beginning of a new area in Duke Football. With a new coach Mike Elko at the helm, he will be overseeing a lot of position battles for the Blue Devils. The Duke spring game gave a chance for fans to get a look at the quarterback battle between Jordan Moore and Riley Leonard. There is also a loaded battle at running back between Jordan Walters, Jaquez Moore, and Jaylen Coleman to try and replace a Duke legend in Mataeo Durant. Check out how these players performed and more in the 2022 Duke Blue Devils Spring Football Game.

Other

https://www.syracuse.com/data/2022/...st-gas-right-now-search-prices-statewide.html (PS; Tampone)

If you’re looking for cheap gas in Central New York, Cortland County is your best bet.

As of May 4, the county had the lowest average price per gallon of regular gasoline at $4.303, according to the latest data from AAA. Onondaga County had the second-lowest price on the list at $4.321 a gallon.

Oneida County was most expensive at $4.362.

You can see all the latest averages for CNY in the table below. If you can’t see the table, click here to open this story in a web browser.

Gas prices began spiking in Central New York and the rest of the state and nation after Russia invaded Ukraine earlier this year, although they had been rising steadily slowly even before that. The average price in New York reached an all-time high of $4.466 a gallon in March.

Prices have eased somewhat since then, though the averages across Central New York are all still at least 23% higher now than they were in January, according to AAA.

You can see the change in prices in Onondaga County since January in the table below.

When you lose 1/2 of a pair of socks in the dryer where does the lost sock go; the alternate sock universe!​