Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Untitled-design-11.jpeg
Welcome to National Ice Cream Soda Day!

This is a day dedicated to ice cream sodas, also known as ice cream floats, which are drinks consisting of ice cream in a soft drink, or in flavored syrup and carbonated water. There are innumerable variations of the drink that can be made by changing the flavor of either the ice cream or the soft drink. Which variations are the most popular depend on where in the world you go. Most likely, Robert McCay Green invented the ice cream soda in 1874, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, at the semicentennial for the Franklin Institute. It is believed that Green ran out of ice for the cold drinks he was selling, so he used some ice cream from a nearby vendor, thus creating the new type of drink. By Green's account, the ice cream soda's creation was no accident, but something he worked to create so that it could be used to lure customers away from a bigger, fancier soda fountain, to his own. There are other accounts of how the ice cream soda was invented, but the story of Green is the most prominent. It didn't take long for the ice cream soda to gain in popularity, and it was served at soda fountains across the country.

SU News

Recruiting Round Up - Official Visits, Zion Tracy, Jon Mould, and C.J. Williams - The Juice Online (the juice; Auger)

June is a busy month in the football recruiting world as most schools are busy hosting recruits on official visits.
Syracuse is no different as they hosted four recruits, one of whom is committed, this past weekend.

• David Clement is a 3-star tight end from Albany who committed to Syracuse in March
• Zyian Moultrie-Goddard is a 3-star linebacker from New Rochelle, NY
• Jalil Smith, currently unranked, is a defensive end from Brooklyn
• Deandre Duffus is a 3-star offensive tackle from Hollywood, FL

Moultrie-Goddard told Mike McAllister that he plans to announce his commitment on Wednesday.

Despite the week’s focus being the official visits, the staff still dished out some offers.

Zion Tracy

Tracy is a 3-star recruit out of Glen Head, NY. He previously told Stephen Bailey that Syracuse is recruiting him as an athlete who can play cornerback. Tracy was recently offered by Rutgers. Tracy was originally in the Class of 2022 before he reclassified to 2023.

Jon Mould

Mould is a 6-foot-6, 290-pound offensive tackle out of Wellesley Hills, MA. The Class of 2023 recruit plays at Xaverian brothers, a well-known school for football in Massachusetts. Mould is currently unranked by the recruiting services. He also has an offer from Pittsburgh.

C.J. Williams

Williams is a Class of 2024 recruit out of Friends Academy in Locust Valley, NY. Williams is 6-foot-8 and weighs 330 pounds. He plays both offensive and defensive line according to his Twitter profile.

Two Recruits Commit Elsewhere

The Orange missed out on two recruits this week as both Tyriq Blanding and Matthew Scicchitano committed to Penn State and Coastal Carolina respectively.

Blanding, a 6-foot-3, 275-pound defensive lineman out of The Middle Village (N.Y.) Christ The King committed to Penn State over Syracuse, Michigan, Oregon, and West Virginia. The 3-star recruit is the No. 1 rated player in New York according to the 247Sports composite rankings.

Scicchitano, also a defensive lineman, stands at 6-foot-4 and weighs 280 pounds. From Mount Carmel, PA, the 3-star recruit had the Orange in his final three along with Temple and Coastal. He was scheduled to take an official visit to Syracuse on June 24.

Syracuse Football: 44 reasons that I’m optimistic about the ‘Cuse in 2022 (itlh; Fiello)

It’s June and I’ve sat by throughout the offseason and watched as some pondered the future of Syracuse football. I can’t sit idly by though without sharing why I’m optimistic about the 2022 season.

I’m so optimistic that I’ll even give you 44 reasons I’m excited and optimistic about the upcoming season.

So here are 44 reasons I’m optimistic about Syracuse football in 2022.

– I love the fall and a clean slate.

– Every time I see that Syracuse trolley around the area, I’m excited about football season and want to ride it myself.

– The newly named JMA Wireless Dome will enhance the fan experience over time.

– Mikel Jones and Marlowe Wax along with Stefon Thompson are coming for your quarterback.

– Coach Robert Anae has had success at BYU & Virginia.

– The Rhino Returns: Chris Elmore is back and healthy.

– Food options are improving at the Dome but still have those Dome Dogs I love too.

– Syracuse football starts the season on September 3rd in prime time at home against Louisville & Malik Cunningham.

– Juwaun Price in the backfield will help open more options for the Syracuse football offense.

– Andre Szmyt decided to return and has a seasoned special teams coach to help.

– OC Robert Anae brought Jason Beck with him, who will help Garrett Shrader & the QB room in general.

– It’s almost time to start working on my game preview poems for the Syracuse football 2022 schedule.

Syracuse Visit Boosts Interest for Deandre Duffus (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2023 Hollywood (FL) Chaminade-Madonna offensive lineman Deandre Duffus is one of the most coveted players at his position this cycle. He has more than two dozen offers from all over the country. He took an official visit to Syracuse this past weekend after seeing Maryland the weekend prior.

"The best part of the visit was my meeting with (offensive line) coach (Mike) Schmidt," Duffus said. "I got to see some of his schemes and stuff with the o-line. A lot of the techniques he teaches are NFL techniques. So I knew he'd be able to develop me and if I'm blessed enough to go to the next level, I wouldn't be lost."

Duffus was able to bond with more than just Schmidt as the Orange staff rolled out the red carpet for him.

"Also talking with all the coaches and being with the staff was a big part," Duffus said. "It was like a real family atmosphere. They're real upfront about everything. Them letting me know how they like the program and what being part of the program is."

Spending time with the Syracuse players was also a highlight of the trip.

"My host was Josh (Ilaoa) the center," Duffus said. "He was just telling me he loves the school and he thinks coach Babers is a great coach. How coach Schmidt, when he came and changed everything and made the o-line excel. He was just saying coach Schmidt could definitely develop me into a top tier player when I get to college. That the closest NFL team to Syracuse is the Buffalo Bills which is a few hours away. So Syracuse is really like the pro team for that area."

Hendricks_Exterior_1.jpg

1930s - Source: Dwight James Baum Collection, Syracuse University Library Archives

Hendricks Chapel (syracusethenandnnow.com; Throwback Monday)

James Russell Pope (1874-1937) is best known for the Jefferson Memorial and the National Gallery, both in Washington, D.C. He trained at both the American Academy in Rome and L'Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris. Pope's greatest success came with his classical designs, earning him the title "the last of the Romans."

This Chapel was bequeathed by New York State Senator Francis Hendricks to his wife Eliza Jane Hendricks. It is similar to Thomas Jefferson's Rotunda at the University of Virginia. Both, of course, owe their original inspiration to the Pantheon in Rome.

Constructed of brick and limestone, the building is topped with a steel-framed dome, covered in lead.

On Second Thought: 2022 NFL (RX; HM)

On Second Thought: 2022 NFL

With the NBA Draft set for Thursday evening, is there anything we can learn from the NFL Draft? Duh! I meant to write about this when it happened, then forgot about it until I read this article from SouthernPigskin: ACC Stars Stay Home in Wild First Round. Here's a little excerpt:

The NFL Draft marks a new chapter in the football life of 250-plus young men every year. All those new beginnings are different, but one common theme is relocation.
That’s not the case this year, though, for the ACC stars drafted in the first round.
NC State offensive tackle Ikem Ekwonu... will relocate two and a half hours down the road to Charlotte... Pitt quarterback Kenny Pickett... will just switch locker rooms at Heinz Field, as he will play for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
While the experts don’t all necessarily agree the Panthers and Steelers made the right choices, both Ekwonu and Pickett are prepared to provide one of the better feel-good rookie stories this fall...

So, how many players are we talking about here? Let's look at the entire 2022 NFL Draft...

NFL Teams That Picked From In-State Colleges

Round 1

2 Detroit Lions: Aidan Hutchinson, Michigan
6 Carolina Panthers: Iken Ekwonu, NC State
15 Houston Texans: Kenyon Green, Texas A&M
20 Pittsburgh Steelers: Kenny Pickett, Pitt

Round 2

61 San Francisco 49ers: Drake Jackson, USC

Round 3

none

Round 4

none

Round 5

156 Cleveland Browns: Jerome Ford, Cincinnati
160 L.A. Chargers: Otito Ogbonnia, UCLA
165 Minnesota Vikings: Esezi Otomewo, Minnesota
166 Cincinnati Bengals: Tycen Anderson, Toledo

New ACC names to know: Wake Forest (theclemsoninsider.com; Potter)

Clemson will have its share of newcomers that contribute this fall, but what about the Tigers’ competition?

The Clemson Insider is taking a look at some fresh faces around the ACC that could make an immediate impact for their new teams. Whether it be transfers or incoming freshmen, we’ll start with some new names to know on teams that the Tigers will face next season before moving on to the rest of the league.

Wake Forest

DL Kobie Turner

After dominating at the Football Championship Subdivision, Turner is making the move up in competition as one of the ACC’s most notable transfer additions. Turner was a three-time all-Colonial Athletic Association selection at Richmond, where the 6-foot-3, 290-pounder racked up 158 tackles and 15 sacks as a defensive tackle. Last season, Turner tallied 54 tackles, including 10.5 for loss, en route to CAA co-defensive player of the year honors. He’s a plug-and-play type and should contribute on the interior of the Demon Deacons’ defensive front from Day 1.

DB Brendon Harris

Harris joins Wake Forest’s program as a graduate transfer after spending the previous four seasons at Vanderbilt, where was a steady contributor even if he wasn’t a full-time starter. The 6-foot-1 safety had 34 tackles and two pass breakups last season and finished his time at Vanderbilt with 127 tackles in 34 games. A former four-star recruit, Harris could see his role increase in Winston-Salem.

RB Demond Claiborne

A four-star recruit, Claiborne is the crowned jewel of the Demon Deacons’ most recent signing class. And he may not have to wait long to become a factor for Wake Forest’s offense. The Demon Deacons lost their leading rusher, Christian Beal Smith, to South Carolina in the transfer portal, creating opportunity for the other backs on the roster. Justice Ellison and Christian Turner are back after splitting carries with Beal Smith a season ago, but Claiborne, who rushed for 300 yards during a playoff game in the Virginia prep ranks last fall, may be the most talented of the group.

Kelly Gramlich and Eric Mac Lain talk ACC football - Gramlich and Mac Lain (maclainandgramlich.com; podcast; Eric & Kelly)

The voice of college football, Kirk Herbstreit, joins the show to talk about his playing days, mental health, the transfer portal & NIL, why he's excited to call NFL games in 2022 & much more!

Virginia Tech football: Silas Dzansi to finally get his shot at left tackle (gobblercountry.com; Manning)

When Brent Pry took over as head football coach at Virginia Tech in December, he faced many difficult roster decisions. There are the lower-ranked recruiting classes in 2020 and 2021, multiple recruiting misses, or overcrowded positions such as running back.

Since then, Pry has done well to flip some of the roster. He signed his first recruiting class, added multiple players via the NCAA transfer portal and convinced a few key Hokies to return to Blacksburg for an “extra” year.

Linebacker Dax Hollifield said he was returning to Virginia Tech last fall, thanks to an extra year of eligibility due to COVID-19. Next, Pry needed to convince defensive back Chamarri Conner and offensive lineman Silas Dzansi to return to college for one more season.

Pry was successful as Conner and Dzansi joined Hollifield for one more season. Conner and Hollifield will return as key starters on defense, while Dzansi’s return is critical for new offensive line coach Joe Rudolph. Virginia Tech’s offensive line lost three starters in left tackle Luke Tenuta, left guard Lecitus Smith and center Brock Hoffman. Tenuta and Smith were drafted, while Hoffman signed as an undrafted free agent.

That meant Tech was returning two starters in sophomore guard Kaden Moore and Dzansi.

But where would Dzansi play? After all, he’s started games at both tackle spots and both guard positions during his Virginia Tech career. That type of bouncing around puzzled Rudolph. He sees Dzansi as the Hokies’ left tackle in 2022.

“He’s a guy that’s a little bit of a quandary to me, why he hasn’t been a regular starter,” said Rudolph, via Andy Bitter of The Athletic. “I think it’s probably more than anything just feeling confident. I anticipate him having a really good year. I anticipate him being a really good leader for us. We need that from him. I think he’s ready to embrace that in every way.”

Other

55NUSNDP4BDDRFO63FK5Q664WQ.jpg

The Polish Festival returned to downtown Syracuse, Saturday, June 18, 2022. Khin Myint | contributing writer

Pierogi and polka return to downtown Syracuse at 66th annual Polish Fest (PS; Myint)

The air resonated with the sounds of Central European folk music and the smells of rousing mazurkas in downtown Syracuse this weekend as the Syracuse Polish Festival returned to Clinton Square after a three-year hiatus.

The three-day family-friendly celebration of Polish culture, heritage and traditions marked its 66th anniversary, kicking off Friday, June 17 and running until Sunday, June 19. It drew thousands of local residents to downtown Syracuse this weekend. (The festival is open until 5 p.m. Sunday).

Sonya Stanejko is a young Polish-American woman who comes to the festival every year with her family and works as a volunteer. She said she was excited to be back after a long break.

“A lot of volunteers and everyone work really hard to set it up, make it good,” Stanejko said. “It’s nice. This year we have more Polish food tents than last time.”

The Polish Fest, produced by the Polish Scholarship Fund, a tradition in Syracuse’s Clinton Square each June, was canceled by the Covid-19 pandemic in 2020 and by uncertainty last year.

Downtown Syracuse was packed with events this weekend -- it was also the 32nd Juneteenth Festival nearby in Hanover Square and around City Hall. Thousands visited the area despite the brisk weather and clouds overhead.

For Madisen Maxwell, a Baldwinsville resident, this year was her first time experiencing the Polish Fest.

“We got some Polish food, and the music is great. It’s a really good vibe here,” said Maxwell, who is half-Polish.