Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national-junk-food-day-vector-vector-id1321461592

Welcome to National Junk Food Day!

Junk Food Day is devoted to junk food, which is food mostly devoid of nutritional value, but instead high in fat, sugar, and salt, and often highly processed. When eaten in high amounts, junk food may impact energy levels, contribute to obesity and cardiovascular disease, and advance other health problems. It may even alter brain activity and affect emotional well-being.

The word "junk food" is usually thought to date back to the early 1950s, although some have credited Michael F. Jacobson of the Center for Science in Public Interest as coining the term in 1972. Junk food has since become a part of American culture, although there has been much effort to curtail its growth over the years.

SU News

Jayden Bass Discusses Syracuse Commitment (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football landed one of its top targets on Tuesday in 2023 Springfield (MA) Central offensive lineman Jayden Bass. The 6-6, 300 pound lineman had been on the Syracuse radar for quite a while and earned an offer last month during a strong camp performance. He took an official visit weeks later.

"I felt it was the right choice since I was there (on the official visit)," Bass said. "When I got the offer at the camp, I liked the atmosphere but I had to come back for the official visit. I felt like it could be a place that could be home. That I could excel there and make it to the next level. I feel like I knew on the official visit but I wanted to go home and not make an emotional decision. Go home, talk to my family, talk to my coach, just make sure it's the right decision. It is the right decision and I'm super hyped. I just had to go home and talk to my family."

After making his decision with his family, Bass' next move was to tell the Syracuse coaching staff.

"They were very happy," Bass said. "Super happy. They couldn't wait to coach me and that made me even more happy. They really believe in me."

Bass' relationship with the Syracuse coaching staff, especially offensive line coach Mike Schmidt, played a pivotal role in his final decision.

"Very good," Bass said. "Coach Schmidt, he saw me last summer and he always told me that I was one of his top targets. Even before the camp going back to last summer. He loved how I played. We've built a really good relationship. I feel like they know how to make me better as a player to help me get to the next level, which is my end goal."

BFZHUEQFYFHC3CJ364Z34V423E.jpg

Syracuse quarterback Garrett Shrader at the 2022 ACC Kickoff in Charlotte, N.C., on Wednesday, July 20th. (Photo by Jaylynn Nash/ACC)Jaylynn Nash/ ACC

Shrader is confident he fits in with new coaches: ‘It’s my offense, my team’ (PS; $; Leiker)

After what some considered a rough 2021 season, Syracuse football quarterback Garrett Shrader is looking forward to 2022.

“This is the most excited I’ve been since I have been in college for a football season,” Shrader said. “Part of that is just because I feel like it’s my offense, my team that I can kind of go wherever I decide to take it.”

Despite adding transfer quarterbacks Dan Villari and Carlos Del Rio-Wilson and retaining JaCobian Morgan and Justin Lamson, Shrader is set to be the team’s starter Week 1.

Last year, Shrader took over as starting QB for Tommy DeVito in Week 4. He remained first-string through the end of the season and into spring practice before tweaking his hamstring and missing a few weeks. Shrader did not play in the team’s spring game.

Syracuse’s passing game was a low point of the 2021 season. The Orange finished last in the ACC and No. 122 in the country in passing offense, finishing the season with 1,836 yards and 10 touchdowns. For comparison, Virginia — where SU’s new offensive coordinator Robert Anae and quarterbacks coach Jason Beck used to coach — closed the season atop the conference and No. 2 in the nation with 4,711 passing yards and 31 passing touchdowns.

Dino Babers says Sean Tucker will be better than in 2021, and 4 other things we learned at ACC Kickoff (PS; Leiker)

Sean Tucker was a hot topic during Syracuse football’s appearances at ACC Kickoff, despite not being in attendance.

The running back was not one of SU’s attendees because the program chose to bring two of its team captains — linebacker Mikel Jones and offensive lineman Matthew Bergeron — and its starting quarterback, Garrett Shrader, a team spokesman told Syracuse.com. All seven ACC Atlantic programs making the media rounds Wednesday brought their QBs to the event.

Orange football coach Dino Babers called Tucker “relentless,” saying Tucker is working out “all the time,” including over the 2021 Christmas break. Even while running for the SU track team this spring, Tucker never missed a football practice, Babers said.

“Without hesitation I’ll tell everybody in the room that I believe he is better,” Babers said. “I’m saying that being modest that he is not the same. He is actually better than last year. I’m really excited to see what he can do in 2022.”

Jones also had high praise for his teammate and how he helps makes Syracuse’s defense better.

“If you come to practice thinking you can get through with half effort, (Tucker’s) gonna make you lace up your cleats real fast and get locked in,” Jones said. “Just doing that every day, day in, day out knowing we’re not gonna see another running back like him all season, honestly, it makes us better every day.”

Syracuse football gets commitment from OL Jayden Bass (TNIAAM; Wall)

The Syracuse Orange added another verbal commitment to the 2023 class last night. Three-star offensive lineman Jayden Bass of Springfield, Mass committed to Syracuse.

Bass is 6’5 and 295 pounds and he becomes the first offensive lineman to commit in this class. He is ranked as the 133rd best tackle by 247 and chose Syracuse over offers from Liberty, Temple, Army, Navy and Air Force. Bass was recruited by offensive line coach Mike Schmidt and he’ll join his high school teammate Terry Lockett next year. Here’s a look at some of his junior year highlights.

Trash talk: Syracuse LB doesn't see Louisville football as 'a tough challenge' in Week 1 (C-J; Holton)

Forty-five days stand between Louisville football and its season opener against Syracuse, but a member of the Orange's defense has already dished out some some bulletin-board material for the Cardinals to work with.

Taking the stage Wednesday at the Atlantic Coast Conference's Kickoff event in Charlotte, North Carolina, Syracuse senior linebacker Mikel Jones was asked for his outlook on U of L's offense heading into Week 1 with dual-threat quarterback Malik Cunningham under center.

"We see it as a good opportunity. We don't think it's going to be a tough challenge," said Jones, who recorded 110 total tackles and 7.5 tackles for loss as a junior. "We're excited to play those guys the first week."

It's tough talk from Jones as Louisville will look to stretch its winning streak over Syracuse to four in a row when the two teams kick off at 8 p.m. Sept. 3 inside JMA Wireless Dome in upstate New York. The Cardinals boast a 13-7 overall record against the Orange and are coming off a 41-3 victory against coach Dino Babers' team on Nov. 13, 2021.

With U of L legend Lamar Jackson on hand at Cardinal Stadium for his jersey retirement ceremony, Cunningham proceeded to throw four first-half touchdowns and ran for another score to put the game out of reach early.

Instant Juice: 2022 Syracuse football at ACC Kickoff media day - The Juice Online (the juice; Bierman)

A quick take on Syracuse football’s participation and other notes revolving around the 2022 ACC Kickoff media event, being held Wednesday and Thursday at The Westin Charlotte in uptown Charlotte, N.C.:

WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse coach Dino Babers and three players, quarterback Garrett Shrader (Charlotte native), linebacker Mikel Jones, and offensive tackle Matthew Bergeron, represented the Orange program as the seven Atlantic Division teams kicked off the agenda on Wednesday. Each team’s contingent made a visit to the event’s radio row for multiple interviews, conducted a 30-minute televised press conference, followed by breakout sessions consisting of more interviews with the assembled media. Commissioner Jim Phillips got the day started with his state of the conference address (see below). Thursday, the seven Coastal Division teams will be showcased, preceding the final season in which ACC football will utilize the two-division format.

ANALYSIS: Second year commissioner Philips was ready to answer the inevitable questions about Power Five conference realignment and the ACC’s future during his morning session, but not before he fervently stressed the traditional goal of college sports administrators in their role to provide the best possible student-athlete experience for all participants, in each sport, and at every institution. “We are all responsible for the greater good of the enterprise,” he repeated twice. On the ACC moving forward, Phillips has to make sure his revenue partners, ESPN and each school’s administrative offices, are on the same page. “By all metrics, we are one of the leaders in the country, except the revenue piece of it,” Phillips acknowledged. “A year ago, we were talking about the same thing. It’s been my primary focus. We have some other things coming forward (in the near future) with our revenue partners, and we talk almost daily with ESPN about the next iteration of the ACC. They’re motivated, we’re motivated, all options are on the table.”

Part IV: Syracuse Football Will Be Successful If… Dino Babers’ Coaching Changes Work – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Frank)

As the ACC Kickoff event down in Charlotte gets going, there’s not a more perfect time to continue our Syracuse 2022 Success series than right now. So, part four looks at a big picture perspective of Dino Babers’ coaching staff, and the changes he made this offseason. Let’s get into it.

On the offensive side of the ball, Robert Anae and Jason Beck come over from Virginia to replace Sterlin Gilbert, and Michael Johnson to replace Terrance Samuel. This overhaul expects to have a major influence on Babers’ offense, which has been known to be fast-paced and uptempo. Anae and Beck have had great success at Virginia the last couple of seasons, just look at Brennen Armstrong and his accolades.

Those two are looking to do the same with Garrett Shrader, who needs to improve his passing to be a successful quarterback. He cannot just be a glorified running back. All three new offensive coaches will have a big hand if Syracuse is successful or not in 2022. They have the tools, it’s just about execution.

On the defensive side, Tony White continues his continuity as defensive coordinator, where his unit has performed well in his two seasons at SU. White will also coach linebackers this season, and former linebackers coach Chris Achuff moves to the defensive line to replace Vince Reynolds, who was not brought back after last season.

The secondary will continue to be coached by Chip West and Nick Monroe. Since arriving in 2016 with Babers, Monroe has been arguably the best recruiter on his staff, as year in and year out he has brought in quality defensive backs from all around the country. That continuity will be key to making the back half of the 3-3-5 defense work under White’s tutelage.

Syracuse Football: Prediction for 3-star OL who has moved to prep power (itlh; Adler)

Consensus three-star offensive lineman Naquil Betrand, who is a member of the 2023 recruiting cycle and has Syracuse football in his top six, plans to announce his college choice on July 30, he recently said on Twitter.

The Orange coaching staff offered a scholarship to the 6-foot-7, 310-pound Betrand in April. He took an official visit to the ‘Cuse in June and an unofficial visit to the Orange in May.

While it was highly encouraging that Betrand included Syracuse football in his top six earlier this month, the competition in his recruitment is significant.

I will be Committing on July 30th would like to thank ever coach that recruited me but its almost that time !!! pic.twitter.com/WH9x2hpcxh
— naquil betrand (@NBETRAND1) July 15, 2022

Besides, the Orange, Betrand’s other finalists are Texas A&M, Kentucky, Penn State, Auburn and Georgia, which captured the most recent College Football Playoff national championship. Throughout his recruiting process, Betrand has obtained more than 20 offers.

Syracuse football, hopefully, will win out for 2023 three-star offensive lineman Naquil Betrand.

Just in the last few days, a prediction in Betrand’s recruitment was logged in the direction of Kentucky on the On3 Web site, with a confidence level of 60 percent.

When I penned this column, I hadn’t seen any additional projections made on recruiting Web sites such as 247Sports and .

Syracuse Football: Previewing and predicting SU’s four September battles (itlh; Fiello)

Hello, Orange fans and welcome to an early look at the Syracuse football schedule on our path to a bowl game in 2022. This year my plan is to do things a little differently compared to last year. Last year I did fun poetry previews but this year the Inside The Loud House readers on Twitter spoke and they wanted something different.

My plan for the 2022 season is to do an Orange review and preview post for each week during the season. This will allow for more factual details and information since game time and TV information is often only released a week or two before games and things like injuries and such can impact a game as well.

For now, I’m just going to share some details and history we do have in July just to share what we know now and get us ready for September 3rd, when Syracuse football will host Louisville to kick off the 2022 season.

So without further ado, here are the September games as scheduled right now via cuse.com and some fun information that I hope will help us all enjoy amping up for the season to start together.

Amid backstabbing and shaky college football reality, ACC commish Jim Phillips just wants everyone to get along (yahoo.com; Wetzel)

ACC commissioner Jim Phillips acknowledged that he would be criticized for a lot of what he said Wednesday about the unsettled present and uncertain future of college football. So give him that. He knew he would sound Pollyannaish.

And, in further fairness, some of what he said wasn’t wrong.

It just probably isn’t right. At least not these days.

Phillips kicked off the ACC's football media festivities with a stump speech and question-and-answer session that could have been delivered two generations ago.

He assailed the relentless pursuit of profits. He cautioned that every school and league needed to consider the greater good, not simply their own bottom line. He spoke up for non-revenue sports, smaller conferences and even the bowl industry.

He said hokey things like, “We owe it to those kids” when talking about the importance of athletics at places such as Northern Illinois, where he was once the athletic director.

"Any new structure of the NCAA must serve the many, not a collective few,” Phillips said. “We are not the professional ranks. This isn't the NFL- or NBA-Lite. This shouldn't be a winner-take-all or zero-sum structure. College sports have never been elitist or singularly commercial."

In the past year the SEC and Big Ten have expanded their future ranks to 16, raided two conferences (Big 12 and Pac-12) for its biggest athletic brands and are poised to make $50 million, $60 million, maybe $80 million more per school than the ACC in media revenue alone.

They are being pushed by two dueling television behemoths (Fox and ESPN) who don’t see the establishment of an “NFL-Lite” as a bad thing considering the NFL itself is the biggest and most profitable entertainment property in the country.

"Singularly commercial" is today's reality. Phillips talked about avoiding gated communities in college athletics while claiming the ACC is on the desired side of that gate.

ACC Media Days 2022: Preseason conference power rankings in tiers (247sports; Marcello)

Talking Season has arrived in the ACC with the start of its annual media days, and preseason projections range wildly in the Atlantic and Coastal Divisions.

Does Clemson return to the perch as the class of the conference and show that its one-year absence from the ACC Championship was only a hiccup? Might NC State, with arguably its best team ever on paper, be destined for a magical run after an incredible 2021?

And what about the star power brought aboard in Miami, where Mario Cristobal hired an impressive staff and hit the ground running in recruiting to buoy an already-strong offense led by quarterback Tyler Van Dyke?

This isn't your typical conference preview. The following is a set of power rankings with teams separated in tiers with similar (and dissimilar) storylines set to define their upcoming seasons.

CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDERS

Clemson (1)

Clemson is back, but did the Tigers ever really go anywhere? They still won 10 games last season despite its six-year streak of ACC titles coming to an abrupt end and with a stellar defense returning (might it be the best ever at Clemson?), the Tigers should be back in the ACC Championship Game. Dabo Swinney replaces both coordinators for the first time in his 14 seasons as coach but continuity remains, particularly on defense with wunderkind Wesley Goodwin's promotion from within.
NC State is the greatest threat in the Atlantic but the Tigers, who lost in overtime to the Wolfpack last season, get them at home. The biggest question remains at quarterback, where DJ Uiagalelei still has to show us something after struggling with his consistency (last in the ACC in quarterback rating last season) and lack of accuracy on down-field throws. Might five-star true freshman Cade Klubnik supplant him by the middle of the season? Either way, the Tigers will be improved on offense and with that stellar defense, the Tigers will win -- and win big -- in the ACC once again.

NC State (2)

No ACC team returns as many starters and experience, and with a generational defense for the school and quarterback Devin Leary back on campus, this is the year to win the ACC title. The problem is that schedule, which includes a road trip to Clemson, the very team NC State finally defeated last season to give Dave Doeren his biggest win yet. If that defense plays as well as expected and Leary can somehow follow up a record-breaking year (35 touchdowns against only 5 interceptions, a school record) with another, the Wolfpack will win double-digit games for only the second time in school history. Boy, could this be a special year for the Pack.

Miami (3)

Mario Cristobal will not need long to lead Miami to contention. Quarterback Tyler Van Dyke should rise up NFL Draft boards this season with some great weapons at receiver, and that defensive line could be extra salty with the additions of four transfers in the offseason, especially with West Virgnia's Akheem Mesidor, the nation's third-best defensive lineman from the portal, on board.
Cristobal filled needs in the portal with about one dozen additions and he also hried the best staff in the conference with Josh Gattis leading the offense and veteran playcaller Kevin Steele on defense. Steele's defense should be strong, particularly in the middle with former five-star Leonard Taylor. Former five-star safety James Williams is also special.
Simply put, we may not have to wait for Miami to be back on the national scene. The Hurricanes should be a top-25 program once again this season. The final two games at Clemson and at home against Pitt could be the games of the year in the ACC.

SHAKY STOCKS

Pitt (4)

Pitt's two most potent offensive weapons are gone, and Panthers fans are not so happy about the shocking departure of Biletnikoff winner Jordan Addison, who bolted for USC. Quarterback Kenny Pickett, however, made that whole offense go as evidence by his first-round selection in the NFL Draft, and though USC transfer Kedon Slovis is a fantastic replacement on paper, you just don't know until you know.
Pitt can contend and should be a threat once again in the Coastal with most of the two-deep along the offensive line, including all five starters, returning and the addition of Akron receiver Konata Mumpfield. Pat Narduzzi will always have great pass-rushing and run-stopping defenses and that group will produce once again after leading the ACC last season in sacks. Early-season games against West Virginia and Tennessee will provide an early glimpse as to whether the Panthers are in reload mode. Trips to North Carolina and Miami loom large on the back end of the schedule, too.

Georgia Tech (13)

Time is running out for Geoff Collins to turn things around in Atlanta. He enters his fourth season on the hot seat with a 9-25 record, and after losing so much production, including Jahmyr Gibbs (Alabama), the best player on the roster, the prospects of a big rebound are not bright. The Yellow Jackets added 16 (!) playes from the transfer portal, so coupling those unknowns along with a wildy inconsistent quarterback (Jeff Sims), and it's not difficult to see the potential for a losing record.
With so many new faces, you could see a lot of different lineups. Might Akron transfer Zach Gibson take over for Sims at quarterback? He's a much better passer on paper than Sims.
The second half of the schedule is brutal with four of the last five games on the road -- Florida State, Virginia Tech, North Carolina and rival Georgia.

NEW BLUEPRINT

Duke (14)

Mike Elko has an impossible task ahead of him as he takes over a roster filled with holes and inexperience. Jordan Moore and Riley Leonard return at quarterback after playing as true freshmen last season, but neither had a tremendously stellar game in 2021. The defense could be a huge liability if returning production is any sign of things to come, but with Elko's background and a solid defensive staff, perhaps coordinator Robb Smith can have a better-than-expected unit that creates havoc with exotic blitzes.

RESURGENT

Louisville (5)

Louisville should be better after the program's first back-to-back losing seasons since the Steve Kragthorpe era (2008-09). The Cardinals lost three games on the final play last season. They return a lot of production on offense, all five starters are back along a strong offensive line and Malik Cunningham is back as the most overlooked quarterback in the conference. Cunningham is the only quarterback in the nation with a rushing grade above 90 returning this season, according to Pro Football Focus. The defense was just no good last season but adding Arizona State defensive tackle Jermayne Lole will help.
If that defense improves slightly, particularly in the secondary, the Cardinals will have a winning season and finish much higher in the standings.

Florida State (6)

Maybe the key to Florida State finally turning the corner is quarterback Jordan Travis. The Seminoles are 1-7 in games he does not start and 7-6 when he does start. They need the running and throwing threat in the game to be dangerous on offense in the Mike Norvell era.
Florida State added the most coveted pass rusher in the transfer portal, FCS Albany's Jared Verse, and the back end of the defense is great with safety Jammie Robinson.
The time is now for the Seminoles to win and Mike Norvell should lead them to a bowl game this fall.

OVERLOOKED AND UNFAIRLY UNDERRATED?

Wake Forest (7)

Wake Forest returns arguably the best quarterback in the ACC in Sam Hartman and has enough returning experience on defense to be considered a top-10 team in the preseason polls. The problem for the Demon Deacons and their fans is that pollsters are unlikely to give them the benefit of the doubt. That slow mesh in the RPO offense tends to rub analysts the wrong way for whatever reason and many are quick to discount the double-digit winning season leading to consistent elite success because of the program's inability to capitalize on record-breaking seasons. Still, the numbers show a team capable of beating anyone in the ACC, but there's another thorn in Deacs' side: Clemson. Wake hasn't defeated the ACC power since 2008.
No one threw more explosive touchdown passes down the field (20) in the FBS last season than Hartman, according to Pro Football Focus, and the receiver corps is still incredibly deep despite the loss of Jaquarri Roberson. The defense just wasn't great or dependable while allowing a terrible 28.9 points per game, including 45 points in three games against top-25 opponents. Wake Forest should perform better with veterans.

FIRST-YEAR BOOST

Virginia Tech (8)

Brent Pry returns to Blacksburg as the typical blue-collar coach Virginia Tech fans love, and though he takes over a bit of a rebuilding project, all is not lost and the feeling here is the Hokies will benefit from some much-needed enthusiasm under the first-year head coach.
The defense will benefit from his tremendous talent planning and developing players, and should that offense show any signs of life following a quarterback battle, the Hokies should return to the postseason. Is Marshall quarterback Grant Wells the answer?

POWER DRAIN?

North Carolina (9)

Does North Carolina have a quarterback capable of coming close to Sam Howell? The offensive line, which I projected last season to be subpar, still has too many questions and the Tar Heels need more production at receiver. Is Drake Maye the starter? Jacolby Criswell? Might freshman Conner Harrell figure into the battle? Coordinator Phil Longo will figure it out and the offense will be potent but will it be just as explosive without the record-breaking Howell? That's difficult to project.
The defense should be better this season after ranking near the bottom nationally in several categories, which led to a change at defensive coordinator and the return of Gene Chizik. Myles Murphy is awesome inside on the defensive line. How Virginia Noah Taylor fits into Chizik's scheme as a pass rusher is something to watch.

FUN TO WATCH, DIFFICULT TO DIAGNOSE

Virginia (10)

The most shocking voluntary departure in 2021 may not have been Brian Kelly to LSU or Lincoln Riley to USC. Does no one remember Bronco Mendenhall surprisingly stepping away from coaching? The former BYU coach led the Cavaliers to an Orange Bowl.
The good news: he leaves behind record-breaking quarterback Brennan Armstrong, who threw for 4,449 yards and 31 touchdowns last season. The bad news: the Cavaliers lost four straight games to end the 2021 season.
Tony Elliott leaves behind one of the more frustrating years of his career as a coordinator at Clemson to take over potentially one of the most exciting passing attacks in college football.Armstrong is back and he has the help of receiver Keytaon Thompson, the former Mississippi State quarterback, who is fantastic in traffic.
The defense? Well, that's a problem and was one of the worst in the Power Five. Can Air Force's John Rudzinski turn it around in Year 1?

PROTECTION NEEDED

Boston College (11)

Boston College wasn't necessarily an incredibly exciting team to watch last season, particularly after top-tier quarterback Phil Jurkovec injured his wrist and missed six games, but hopes are high with both the quarterback and big-time receiver Zay Flowers returning.
How big of a difference is Jurkovec in games? The Eagles were 0-4 in the ACC in games without him. The problem he faces is an entirely new offensive line and in a strong Atlantic Division, that could be a major issue.

NEEDS MORE JUICE

Syracuse (12)

Dino Babers is quickly approach the point of no return. The good news is he has a quarterback with a much higher ceiling than many believe in Garrett Shrader, a still-overlooked rushing attack led by Sean Tucker and a strong second level on defense at linebacker and corner.
Babers needs to win and reaching a bowl game is important. This is the team to make that move.

New ACCN Football Shows for 2022 (RX; HM)

New ACCN Football Shows for 2022

From the ESPN Press Release of July 20, 2021...

ACC Network Unveils Plans for New Afternoon Show, Preseason ACC Football Road Trip, The ACC Huddle on the Road and Original Programming

• ACCN unveils new afternoon studio program ACC PM Aug. 22
  • ACCN to travel to all 14 ACC football campuses for preseason football tour for a second-straight year, August 1-18
  • The ACC Huddle to Make Several Campus Stops This Season Beginning Week 0
  • All Access with NC State Football series slated to premiere Aug. 14
  • We’re #1! The Story of 1981 Clemson Football to debut Aug. 22
A new afternoon show exclusive to ACC Network, The ACC Huddle on the road, a second installment of the 14-campus preseason road trip, a documentary highlighting the 1981 Clemson football team and an all-access series with NC State football were among ACCN’s exciting plans revealed Wednesday at ACC Football Kickoff in Charlotte, N.C. Upcoming programming and events scheduled for the 24/7 national network dedicated to ACC sports include: ACC PM, The ACC Huddle on the road, ACC Football Road Trip, We’re #1! The Story of 1981 Clemson Football and All Access with NC State Football.

"ACC PM" to Debut Aug. 22

ACCN’s newest studio program - ACC PM hosted by Mark Packer will have a football focus while also delivering news and commentary from around the ACC’s 15 institutions. The new afternoon show airing weekdays from 4-7 p.m. ET on ACCN will debut on Monday, Aug. 22 and will originate from Packer’s basement in Charlotte, N.C. Packer’s co-host will be named at a later date.

"The ACC Huddle" on the Road

ACCN will take its signature football program The ACC Huddle on the road again this season and will originate live from ACC campuses six times throughout the regular season in addition to the Subway ACC Football Championship Game in Charlotte and select games during Bowl Season. The ACC Huddle, with host Jordan Cornette and analysts Eric Mac Lain, EJ Manuel and Mark Richt, will be live from 11 a.m. – noon ET each Saturday continuing with wall-to-wall coverage throughout the day featuring halftime reports, a primetime show from 6:30-8 p.m., and a one-hour show at the end of the day recapping all of the ACC football action.

Conspiracy or Greed? (RX; HM)

Conspiracy or Greed?

If you've read realignment theories on the internet, they basically fall into two categories: (a) ESPN/SEC and Fox/Big Ten will absorb all of the valuable teams into a P2, or (b) we are where we are because of market forces which don't really care what happens.

If you believe ESPN and Fox are conspiring to create a Power 2 and share the wealth...If you believe ESPN is out to dominate college sports and marginalize the Big Ten and Fox...
...then they will break up the ACC and move the best pieces into either the SEC or B1G as they have secretly agreed to do....then they will find a way to strengthen the ACC through expansion, a partnership with the Pac-12, or some other change which results in a P3.
MOTIVE: to split out just the top programs into a college football "Premiere League" shared by the two TV networks.MOTIVE: ESPN to maintain controlling majority so that it can mold college sports as it wishes, without worrying about what Fox wants.

2022 Known TV Games (RX; HM)

2022 Known TV Games

ACC football is getting close (just 37 days more!) What do we know about the TV coverage so far - including games carried on someone else's tv contract?
Week#WkdayDateTimeGameNetwork
0Saturday8/275:00 PMDuquesne at Florida StateACCN
0Saturday8/278:15 PMFlorida A&M at North CarolinaACCN
1Thursday9/17:00 PMWest Virginia at PittESPN
1Thursday9/17:30 PMVMI at Wake ForestACCN
1Friday9/27:00 PMVirginia Tech at Old DominionESPNU
1Friday9/27:30 PMTemple at DukeACCN
1Saturday9/312:00 PMRutgers at Boston CollegeACCN
1Saturday9/312:00 PMNC State at ECUESPN
1Saturday9/312:00 PMNorth Carolina at Appalachian St.ESPNU
1Saturday9/312:30 PMRichmond at VirginiaRSN

CFB Factoids 2022 July 20 (RX; HM)

CFB Factoids 2022 July 20

College realignment in a nutshell:
2003: Louisville (C-USA) vs. Syracuse (Big East)
2012: Louisville (Big East) vs. Syracuse (Big East)
2021: Louisville (ACC) vs. Syracuse (ACC)

ACC Commish - the Q&A (RX; HM)

ACC Commish - the Q&A

From the 2022 ACC Kickoff, here are highlights of the Q&A portion of the Commissioner's Press Conference (with key points in bold - Hokie Mark):

Q&A

...over the last 18 months it's been my primary focus. We were able to get [ACCN] distribution done. We have some other things coming forward relative to what we're going to do in partnership with some revenue consultants that I'm really excited about being able to release that maybe by the end of the month.

Clemson's Dabo Swinney focused on own team and 'not really concerned' about realignment (usatoday; Keepfer)

Clemson to the SEC?

Clemson to the Big Ten?

Clemson staying in the ACC?

How about a charter member of the new Megatron World Conference?

Asked if he was concerned about the ultimate fate of the ACC given recent reports and league realignment, Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney pled ignorance.

"Whether the ACC goes to 52 teams or we move to the New Megatron World Conference, I don’t really know," Swinney said Wednesday at ACC Kickoff. "I’m not really concerned about any of it."

His lack of concern stems from his accurate conclusion that such dealings loom on someone else’s agenda – namely ACC commissioner Jim Phillips, Clemson President Jim Clements and Clemson athletic director Graham Neff.

uch to Swinney’s delight, that trio ultimately is responsible for helping decide Clemson’s future. So while Phillips says the ACC is "evaluating all options," Swinney is focused on the Tigers' opening day of preseason practice.

As Swinney likes to say, "I’m just a coach."

He reiterated that stance repeatedly Wednesday, generally eschewing realignment talk in favor of chalk talk.

Insider: 10 notes you might have missed from ACC Kickoff (247sports.com; $; Sonnone)

Florida State
sent coach Mike Norvell as well as QB Jordan Travis, DT Fabien Lovett, and S Jammie Robinson up to Charlotte for the 2022 ACC Kickoff.

There were hours of combined audio to sift through, so I thought it’d be good to dig and highlight some of the interesting minutia from the day.

I was going to call this "Tea", but Nee got mad and told me that he ****ing hates it when I use tea. Alas, no tea then.

Instead, here are 10 interesting notes from Norvell or players that might've gotten lost in the shuffle today…

1. TRAVIS WEIGHS FUTURE PLANS

QB Jordan Travis said he isn’t preparing for this to be his last season at FSU, but “it is in my mind, for sure.”
“I want to have a great year, that’s all that matters to me, I want to help Florida State win a lot of games.”
The possibility of Travis, a redshirt junior, leaving FSU after the season and before exhausting his eligibility is something that we’ve reported previously…but this is the first time Travis has articulated the consideration of maybe going pro depending on how the season goes.

2. JOHNNY WILSON STANDING OUT

We reported earlier this offseason that WR Johnny Wilson was one of the top performers during player-run-practices. On Wednesday, S Jammie Robinson paid what sounded like genuine praise towards Wilson when asked about receivers who stood out to him this summer.

Other

YWNBPTDUJ5FMFEHIXQWX7AOGNM.jpg

Redevelopment plan for ShoppingTown mall takes a step forward (PS; Moriarty)

ShoppingTown’s rebirth as a residential, entertainment and commercial attraction has taken a leap forward with the signing of a contract that will control the sale of the vacant mall to a team of local developers.

The contract executed last week between OHB Redev and Onondaga County, the property’s owner, calls for the development group to buy the mall for $8 million and launch a phased redevelopment that includes a substantial residential component, a movie theater, a “premium” grocer, specialty retail, and services like doctors and medical offices.

The project will also include new sidewalks, bike paths, walking trails, and large park and green space that will serve as a spearhead to the recently enhanced Empire State Trail.

Much of the existing mall will be demolished to make way for the new development, which will be named District East.