Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Boston Tea Party Day!

There were numerous factors that converged to create an environment that was ripe for an event like the Boston Tea Party to take place, which occurred on today's date in 1773. Some of these included the popularity of tea in the colonies, British debt, acts of Parliament that taxed colonists, the Boston Massacre, and the propping up of a British tea company. The Boston Tea Party can be seen as a tipping point that spurred the revolutionary movement forward, which ultimately allowed for the creation of the United States. It is because of its importance to the formation of the country that we mark Boston Tea Party Day.

SU News

Syracuse Trending for Another Corner Transfer – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Eads)

SU Football has already made headlines in the transfer portal this offseason, some good and some bad. On the one hand, Duce Chestnut announced his intentions to leave along with guys like Steve Linton and Courtney Jackson. On the other hand, the Orange have reeled in a couple nice pieces in Jeaden Gould and Braylen Ingraham.

SU should not be done looking to add talent and the experts don’t seem to think they are. National Recruiting Analyst for 247sports.com, Brian Dohn, logged a prediction for Notre Dame transfer Jayden Bellamy to decide on the Orange in the transfer portal.

Bellamy is a former top-500 recruit rated three stars in the 2022 class. The New Jersey native signed and enrolled early with ND but is leaving after only one season. The 5’11, 175 pound cornerback did not play in any games last season but was highly sought after coming out of high school. Bellamy claimed offers from Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, and of course Syracuse.

Garrett Williams Declares for NFL Draft (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse cornerback Garrett Williams has declared for the 2023 NFL Draft, he announced in a social media post on Thursday. The news was expected even after his 2022 season was cut short due to an ACL tear.

"The journey to get to this point has been filled with many ups and downs and I'm thankful for them all!" Williams said in the post. "God has never given me anything that he didn't think I could handle and I can't do anything but thank him for getting me to this point. My family has been great to me in supporting me throughout my life, specifically the past 4 years, facing many new challenges and without them I truly wouldn't be in this position.

"Syracuse University has allowed me to grow so much as a person and a huge part of that is the coaches, the fans and the great teammates/brothers that will forever hold a strong place in my heart. The MOB to me is more than just a saying to me it represents the relationship and care we have for each other on and off the field. There are so many more people I want to thank, but with that being said, I would like to announce that I am foregoing my remaining eligibility and entering the 2023 NFL Draft. Thank you, Orange Nation!"

1242930240.0.jpg

Photo by Gregory Fisher/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Syracuse football: Best of 2022 defense (TNIAAM; Wall, Chiappone; Haller)

As the Syracuse Orange prepare for their Pinstripe Bowl match-up with the Minnesota Golden Gophers we’re going to give our choices for some superlatives for the 2022 season.

Today we look at the Orange defense:

Defensive MVP:

Kevin: Marlowe Wax

I’m going with Wax because he was a constant force throughout the season. He led the Orange with 89 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, two forced fumbles, and two fumble recoveries. If he decides to finish his final season, he could be in line for All-ACC honors.

Dom: Ja’Had Carter

Besides having a momentum-swinging 90-yard fumble recovery returned for a touchdown in Death Valley, Carter finished with three interceptions and 35 tackles on the season. You could argue Mikal Jones should get the nod here, but Carter had some dominant games even as Syracuse’s season took a turn for the worse after the Clemson loss.

Steve: Marlowe Wax

We knew what Mikel and Garrett (pre injuries) were bringing back. We also knew Wax was good coming into the year, but I don’t think him leading the team in tackles, TFLs, hurries, forced fumbles and fumble recoveries was on the bingo card. Wax was an asset that allowed the rest of the defense to play their game.

MSANAQ5KDFAQNMG24O6PIE6RRU.jpg

Syracuse safety Ja'Had Carter (1) intercepts a pass in the end zone against Pittsburgh on Nov. 5 at Acrisure Stadium. Carter entered the transfer portal Thursday. Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.

SU safety Ja’Had Carter, who led the Orange in turnovers, enters transfer portal (PS; $; Leiker)

Syracuse football has lost another member of its 2022 defensive depth chart to the NCAA transfer portal.

Ja’Had Carter, the Orange’s starting boundary safety, entered the transfer portal Thursday. He’s the ninth player overall and fourth off the depth chart to depart the program this offseason.

Carter had a breakout season in his third year, leading the team in turnovers that included two memorable ones that gave Syracuse an early lead in its eventual loss to Clemson. He had three total interceptions, a fumble recovery and an additional six pass breakups.

Appearing in 31 games for the Orange, Carter made a total 138 tackles, 36 of which came this season. Carter was a freshman All-American in 2020.

Carter’s departure is the second blow to Syracuse’s secondary in 24 hours, as cornerback Duce Chestnut announced he had entered the portal Tuesday.

SU has also lost two defensive linemen, two offensive linemen and three wide receivers.

Bleav in Syracuse Episode 64: Joe More Interview, Portal Drama, Hoops Winning Streak (SI; podcast; Bleav)

Bleav in Syracuse podcast episode 64, presented by Bet Online and Hofmann Sausage Company, is out! Mike McAllister, Josh Crawford and Sammy St. Jean are joined by Orange offensive line transfer commit Joe More to discuss his recruitment. In addition, the guys break down more portal drama for SU football and Syracuse basketball's four game winning streak. You can subscribe and listen on your favorite podcasting platforms as linked below.

Life’s Knockdowns Haven’t Felled This Football Coach (nytimes; $; Pennington)

Tom Coughlin was an unforgettable sideline presence in the N.F.L. for parts of three decades, a driven, tightly wound field general whose style matched the game’s inherent intensity.

But as a young man, Coughlin almost quit coaching to peddle annuities to everyday folks. Married with three children, Coughlin, then 33, was attracted to a stable desk job after he lost an assistant coach’s position at his alma mater, Syracuse University.
Judy Coughlin, who had known her sports-loving, competition-obsessed husband since high school, listened but ignored his new career plans. With a smile, she said: “Sure, you’re going to sell insurance.”
Judy, 77, died last month from progressive supranuclear palsy, an incurable brain disorder that erodes the ability to walk, speak, think and control body movements. Coughlin, who led the Giants to two Super Bowl victories before leaving his last coaching job in 2015, spent the last several years as his wife’s primary, full-time caregiver.

During that time, Coughlin, now 76, was moved to write a contemplative memoir of his career titled, “A Giant Win.” The book’s framework is a detailed examination of the Giants’ stunning Super Bowl upset of the undefeated New England Patriots to end the 2007 season, but a subplot is Coughlin’s assessment of a life of triumphs, personal lapses and lessons learned.
In a video conference interview, Coughlin, who ranks tied for 14th in career N.F.L. coaching victories, talked about his candidacy for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, whether he has successfully softened an authoritarian image and his ardent support for more institutional assistance for caretakers of seriously ill family members.
This interview has been lightly edited for clarity and condensed.

Tom Coughlin won two Super Bowls as coach of the Giants, including a defeat of the previously unbeaten Patriots in the 2007 season. “It’s the best Super Bowl game ever and certainly the greatest upset of all time,” he said.Credit...Clark Hodgin for The New York Times

You spend large portions of the book reflecting on your upbringing in a small upstate New York town and revisiting various pivotal life decisions. You’ve never been publicly introspective, why now?

Well, I’ve been out of the game for a while, and honestly what we were going through with my wife, it makes you think about everything. Some days I would be so exhausted that all I did if I had a break was take a nap. But other times, maybe two or three times a week, I would take an hour here or there and I’d sit and spend that time on the book. You begin to think and look at everything over and over again. I don’t know if that’s what reflection means, but that’s what I did.

One of the recurring messages of the book is that a coach has not succeeded unless he or she is a good teacher. You were well known for your rules — like setting the locker room clocks five minutes ahead to mandate being early — but you don’t see that as defining your legacy.

Look, everyone seems to know I did things differently. But I was also a big life lesson guy with my teams. Every week before a game, I always included some things of value and virtue that I thought were important that had nothing to do with football exactly. It might be something happening halfway around the world, but I had the inspiration to discuss that with my team. When all is said and done, I hope that I made an impression on those guys with those life lessons as well.

Can stories like that alter your public image as a strict disciplinarian?

I’m not sure. I do know that players like Michael Strahan and Eli Manning and others have been very good ambassadors on my behalf when questions about me come up. And I appreciate that.

Why is the first Giants Super Bowl victory over the undefeated Patriots especially meaningful to you now?

It’s the best Super Bowl game ever and certainly the greatest upset of all time. And with what this nation is going through with Covid and maybe a recession there’s a lot of people right now who are down on their luck. Maybe our story — a coach that everybody was trying to fire and a quarterback that nobody was sure of — can help them get up off the floor and make something happen.

Summarizing the Giants game plan that day you wrote: “We were going to knock Tom Brady on his ass.”

We knocked him down on their first play from scrimmage and 16 more times, including five sacks. It’s why we won that game.

You’re one of eight coaches to win two or more Super Bowls and not lose one. Have you thought about being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame?

Yeah, I can dream like anybody else. That’s the pinnacle of your profession. People talk to me about that from time to time. But it’s something I don’t have any control over.

Your experience with your wife’s disease has made you a vocal advocate for others in a similar experience.
There are 50 million Americans who are just like me. I could afford to have some caregiver help, because frankly it could take two of us to do what we had to do. But there are so many families that don’t have that option; it’s often left to one individual. I think that should be recognized and hopefully for those who don’t have the means, there could be some way to give them some extra assistance. Because it’s a tough, tough job.

As a coach you were renowned for only taking five or 10 days a year off. But near the end of your book you concede that you wished you could have slowed down occasionally and enjoyed things more.

Yeah, I think my wife would have liked that more, too. But you know, I just kept moving forward to the next thing. To celebrate our Super Bowl win we had a parade down the Canyon of Heroes and then a reception with 35,000 people at Giants Stadium. It’s a remarkable experience. But what did I do next that day? Months earlier, I had scheduled a dentist appointment that afternoon. So I went to the dentist. You know, life goes on. I got my teeth cleaned.

Can SU’s transfers play in the Pinstripe Bowl? Here’s what to know (PS; $; Leiker)

News that star Syracuse football cornerback Duce Chestnut hit the NCAA transfer portal Tuesday rattled Orange fans.

The biggest name to hit the portal from SU so far this offseason, Chestnut’s departure means the Orange defense will be without its two starting cornerbacks from Week 1 of this season in its final game of 2023. Garrett Williams is still rehabbing a torn ACL he suffered midseason.

If Chestnut doesn’t land at a new program before Dec. 29, could he play for the Orange in the Pinstripe Bowl?

What about Jaeden Gould, the 4-star cornerback Syracuse just landed from Nebraska?

The transfer portal in its current iteration is still just a toddler, only a few years old and still going through major developmental changes. As such, it’s a constant hot topic in the college football world.

The rule requiring players to sit out a year after transferring was eliminated in April 2021, and this year the NCAA changed the notification-of-transfer windows for each sport season. Though there are some exceptions to the Division I football has transfer periods from Dec. 5 to Jan. 18 and May 1-15.

Understandably, there are lots of questions during the postseason surrounding when players are eligible and whether players who’ve departed a school can still play in its bowl game.

Let’s tackle the second question first. The short answer: Yes.

Syracuse football: our Ambassador of hatin’ is back to give Fleck flack (TNIAAM; Wall)

The Syracuse Orange and Minnesota Gophers began their Pinstripe Bowl media tour this week. While you’re going to hear both programs complimenting their opponent, we certainly don’t want to spend the next three weeks playing nice to Goldy’s gang.

So when you want to get under the skin of your opponent, you make a call up North and get the Chief Chirper himself, Shoresy back to take over.

“Ok Bud. Go grab yourself a Puppers and let Shoresy take care of things...

Philip John Fleck Jr. Why would you call yourself PJ? What are you 11? Did you need to make it easier to write your name in crayon? Give your balls a tug, eh.

Who wears a shirt and tie under a 1⁄4 zip? Did you pick up some extra shifts down at the Olive Garden in St. Paul?

Tell your Mom to buy you something new from the Garanimals collection for Christmas. Those pants are tighter than Hal Steinbrenner’s wallet.

5 former Central players to compete in ACC: ‘We are excited for each other’ (masslive.com; $; Nutter)

Springfield Central offensive lineman Jayden Bass spent the last four years trying to block his teammate, defensive end Josiah Griffin, in practice.

Three years ago, former Golden Eagles defensive tackle Terry Lockett was doing all he could to contain then-freshman QB Will Watson III during team drills.

Next year, the four, in addition to former Central star WR Joe Griffin Jr., will play with and against each other for Division I FBS college programs in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC).

Joe Griffin Jr. is coming off an impressive freshman season at Boston College, while his brother, Josiah, is verbally committed to the Eagles’ program. Lockett is heading into his junior year at Syracuse next fall, while Bass is an Orange verbal commit. Watson announced his commitment to Virginia Tech last week.

The group of former Springfield Central stars will regularly compete with and against each other on national television.

“It’s a blessing seeing where we started and came from,” Lockett said. “It’s an opportunity to keep putting on for the city where stuff like this didn’t used to happen. We are making it happen.”

Lockett used to get yelled at during practice in high school if he got too physical with Watson during drills. Now on different teams, the Syracuse sophomore is looking forward to chasing and bringing down Watson during games the next few years.

“I can sack him without getting in trouble,” Lockett said. “It’ll be fun competing.”

Having won a state title together in 2019, Lockett is very familiar with Watson’s style of play and thinks he will fit in well at Virginia Tech.

“Pop’s a tricky quarterback,” Lockett said. " He can throw and stay in the pocket and he can run like crazy. I have to make sure I can contain, or he’ll run pretty fast.”

Watson is looking forward to the moments when he can line up behind center for the Hokies, look up and see Josiah Griffin or Lockett on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

“It’s dope,” Watson said. “I get to beat them guys now. … At one point in our college careers we are all going to be playing. It’s going to be dope, especially when I play against Josiah (Griffin). Seeing him on the other side of the ball, that’s going to be special.”

Raynor Andrews gets an offer from Syracuse (tribune242.com; Dorsett)

JUNIOR offensive lineman Raynor Andrews continues to become a sought after prep football prospect.

#The 6’6”, 300-pounder received an offer from the Syracuse Orange of the Atlantic Coast Conference - his first official offer from a high major Division I program.

#“I can definitely say I’m an athletic O-lineman,” Andrews said in an interview with The Juice Online.

#“I can run as fast as one of your receivers and definitely secure the run game and do a hell of a job pass setting. What makes me different is definitely my speed, tbh. That’s what stands out about my game.”

#He called his recruitment a “surreal” experience thus far. The Auburn Tigers of the Southeastern Conference and the Rutgers Scarlet Knights of the Big 10 have also reportedly been involved in his recruitment.

#“It definitely felt surreal and so amazing to finally get my first offer knowing how much work I put in it,” Andrews said. “It’s finally starting to pay off.”

#Nick Monroe is the Orange’s lead recruiter.

#“The coaching staff I’ve met so far is definitely cool and nice people,” Andrews said. “I can’t wait to meet the whole team. I definitely like the Syracuse program and I can’t wait to see more.”

#He is one of several Bahamian prospects that continue to garner attention for their performance on the gridiron for the Miami, Florida-based Jackson Generals.

#The Generals concluded the season 7-4 and lost in the first round of the FHSAA 2M Football State Championships, 37-6 to Miami Norland.

#Andrews was also invited to this weekend’s Legends Football Showcase in Tampa, Florida, which features the top junior prospects throughout the state of Florida.

#He will compete as a member of “Team East.”

#“Legends Showcase is a source for young and developing high school athletes to receive recognition for their efforts on the playing field and an opportunity for them to obtain a football scholarship,” the organisation said.

#“Legends Showcase’s goal is to use football for these young men to obtain a college degree. If we can help these young men obtain degrees, we can impact them and their future family life.”

ACC News

Main Rivals Matrix 2022 Dec 15 (RX; HM)

Main Rivals Matrix 2022 Dec 15

A website called "Know Rivalry" uses surveys to collect data about rivalries (you can still take the survey - I just did!). Based on the responses, they regularly update a list of top rivals for each school. Here's the latest matrix for ACC schools (plus a few others of interest):

ACC Team#1 Rival#2 Rival#3 RivalRivals of
Boston Coll.Notre DameSyracuseVa. TechUMassUConn'Cuse
ClemsonS CarolinaFlorida StS CarolinaGa TechFSU
DukeUNCUNCWake
Florida StateFloridaMiamiClemsonMiamiFloridaClemson
Georgia TechGeorgiaClemsonGeorgia
LouisvilleKentuckyCincinnatiKentuckyCincinnatiMemphis
MiamiFlorida StFloridaFIUFSUVT
N CarolinaNC StateDukeDukeNC StateWake
NC StateN CarolinaUNCECUWake
PittPenn StateWVUWVUPSU'Cuse
SyracuseBoston Coll.PittWVUUBUConnRutgers
VirginiaVa. TechN CarolinaVa TechMarylandODU
Virginia TechVirginiaMiamiUVaWVUODU
Wake ForestDukeUNCNC State(no one)
Other teams of interest:
FloridaFlorida StGeorgiaTennesseeFlorida StGeorgiaTennessee
MarylandW VirginiaPenn StateVirginia(no one)
Notre DameUSCMichiganBCUSCPurdue
S CarolinaClemsonGeorgiaClemson
W VirginiaPittVa TechMarshallPittMaryland

2021 ACC vs SEC Revenues and Expenses (RX; HM)

2021 ACC vs SEC Revenues and Expenses

While we wait on the Fenway Bowl (this Saturday!), let's pass the time the way we always do... by discussing ACC finances! From the Knight-Newhouse College Athletics Database, here's a comparison of Revenues and Expenses for the ACC and SEC for 2020-21 academic year:

2020-21 Fiscal YearACC RevenueAverageSEC RevenueAverage
Other Revenue$63,075,392$4,505,385$105,769,865$7,554,990
Corporate Sponsorship,
Advertising, Licensing
$87,549,631$6,253,545$117,482,384$8,391,599
Donor Contributions$229,760,106$16,411,436$298,145,964$21,296,140
Competition Guarantees$471,435$33,674$1,141,326$81,523
NCAA/Conf. Distributions,
Media Rights, and
Post-Season Football
$295,270,597$21,090,757$1,076,643,827$76,903,130
Ticket Sales$22,589,216$1,613,515$103,917,869$7,422,705
Institutional/Government
Support
$63,802,985$4,557,356$52,830,335$3,773,595
Student Fees$53,398,594$3,814,185$11,793,776$842,413
Total Revenue$815,917,956$58,279,854$1,767,725,346$126,266,096
2020-21 Fiscal YearACC ExpensesAverageSEC ExpensesAverage
Excess Transfers Back00$5,953,913$425,280
Other Expenses$102,174,793$7,298,200$155,978,233$11,141,302
Medical$20,875,199$1,491,086$41,867,383$2,990,527
Competition Guarantees$5,334,043$381,003$5,520,449$394,318
Recruiting$2,519,373$179,955$6,578,519$469,894
Game Expenses And Travel$59,441,896$4,245,850$138,533,079$9,895,220
Facilities And Equipment$158,711,168$11,336,512$387,618,298$27,687,021
Coaches Compensation$174,841,759$12,488,697$350,149,193$25,010,657
Support and Admin
Compensation w/Severance
$154,648,054$11,046,290$370,054,883$26,432,492
Athletic Student Aid$123,001,413$8,785,815$177,361,308$12,668,665
Total Expenses$801,547,698$57,253,407$1,639,615,258$117,115,376

College Football News Freshman All-America Team 2022 (CFN; Cirminiello)

College Football News Freshman All-America Team 2022

Contact/Follow @ColFootballNews & @RichCirminiello

First Team Freshman All-American Offense

QB Drake Maye, North Carolina
RB Quinshon Judkins, Ole Miss
RB Richard Reese, Baylor
WR Tetairoa McMillan, Arizona
WR J.Michael Sturdivant, Cal
TE Brady Hunt, Ball State
OL Kelvin Banks, Texas
OL Austin Barber, Florida
OL Will Campbell, LSU
OL Blake Miller, Clemson
OL Roger Rosengarten, Washington

First Team Freshman All-American Defense

EDGE Gabe Jacas, Illinois
DI Dontay Corleone, Cincinnati
DI Deone Walker, Kentucky
EDGE Trey Moore, UTSA
LB Jaishawn Barham, Maryland
LB Abdul Carter, Penn State
LB Harold Perkins, LSU
CB Terrion Arnold, Alabama
S A.J. Haulcy, New Mexico
S Malaki Starks, Georgia
CB Benjamin Morrison, Notre Dame

First Team Freshman All-American Special Teams

PK Dominic Zvada, Arkansas State
P Riley Thompson, Florida Atlantic

Second Team Freshman All-American Offense

QB Taylen Green, Boise State
RB Jaydn Ott, Cal
RB Nicholas Singleton, Penn State
WR Jared Brown, Coastal Carolina
WR Evan Stewart, Texas A&M
TE Var’Keyes Gumms, North Texas
OL Marcus Mbow, Purdue
OL Emmanuel Pregnon, Wyoming
OL Mason Randolph, Boise State
OL Kingsley Suamataia, BYU
OL Trey Zuhn, Texas A&M

Second Team Freshman All-American Defense

EDGE David Bailey, Stanford
DI Walter Nolen, Texas A&M
DI Jaheim Oatis, Alabama
EDGE Dasan McCullough, Indiana
LB Lander Barton, Utah
LB Deontae Lawson, Alabama
LB Chris Paul, Arkansas
CB Jeremiah Earby, Cal
S Nick Emmanwori, South Carolina
S Devin Lemear, Baylor
CB Jalen McMurray, Temple

Second Team Freshman All-American Special Teams

PK Drew Stevens, Iowa
P James Ferguson-Reynolds, Boise State

Third Team Freshman All-American Offense

QB Quinn Ewers, Texas
RB Roman Hemby, Maryland
RB Damien Martinez, Oregon State
WR Barion Brown, Kentucky
WR Ja’Lynn Polk, Washington
TE Tanner Koziol, Ball State
OL Emery Jones, LSU
OL Febechi Nwaiwu, North Texas
OL Micah Pettus, Ole Miss
OL Jalen Rivers, Miami
OL Jonah Savaiinaea, Arizona

Third Team Freshman All-American Defense

EDGE Oluwaseyi Omotosho, Wyoming
DI Jordan Guerad, FIU
DI Damonic Williams, TCU
EDGE Mykel Williams, Georgia
LB Devyn Curtis, Middle Tennessee
LB Jacob Manu, Arizona
LB Drue Watts, Nevada
CB Torrie Cox, Ohio
S Kendal Daniels, Oklahoma State
S Jaden Hicks, Washington State
CB DQ Smith, South Carolina

Third Team Freshman All-American Special Teams

PK Nathanial Vakos, Ohio
P Brett Thorson, Georgia

Honorable Mentionable Freshman All-American Offense

QB: Braylon Braxton (Tulsa), Clay Millen (Colorado State), E.J. Warner (Temple)

RB: Kaytron Allen (Penn State), Sieh Bangura (Ohio), Marquis Crosby (Louisiana Tech), Trevor Etienne (Florida), Kaleb Johnson (Iowa), Devin Mockobee (Purdue)

WR: Skyler Bell (Wisconsin), Jerand Bradley (Texas Tech), Luther Burden (Missouri), Kody Epps (BYU), Matthew Golden (Houston), Dane Key (Kentucky), Jordyn Tyson (Colorado), Antonio Williams (Clemson)

TE: Jordan Dingle (Kentucky), Donovan Green (Texas A&M), Justin Joly (UConn), RJ Maryland (SMU), Mason Taylor (LSU), Jack Velling (Oregon State)

OL: Cole Hutson (Texas), Damon Kaylor (Ball State), Drew Kendall (Boston College), Tomas Rimac (West Virginia), Jayden Williams (Ole Miss)

Honorable Mentionable Freshman All-American Defense

EDGE: Patrick Payton (Florida State), Braden Siders (Wyoming), Kenard Snyder (ULM), Shemar Stewart (Texas A&M), Khordae Sydnor (Purdue), Pryce Yates (UConn)

DI: Joshua Farmer (Florida State), Mason Graham (Michigan), Derrick Harmon (Michigan State), Grady Kelly (Colorado State), Denzel Lowry (Old Dominion), Simote Pepa (Utah)

LB: Ernest Hausmann (Nebraska), Shemar James (Florida), Derek McDonald (Syracuse), Ben Perry (Louisville)

CB: Aamaris Brown (USF), Mansoor Delane (Virginia Tech), Davison Igbinosun (Ole Miss), Will Johnson (Michigan), Hezekiah Masses (FIU), Chandler Rivers (Duke), Upton Stout (WKU), Ceyair Wright (USC)

S: Shyheim Brown (Florida State), Micah Harper (BYU), Demetrius Hill (FIU), Ike Larsen (Utah State), Jordan Lovett (Kentucky), Peter Manuma (Hawaii), Clayton Powell-Lee (Georgia Tech)

Honorable Mentionable Freshman All-American Special Teams

PK: Colton Boomer (UCF), Carter Brown (Arizona State), Denis Lynch (USC), Collin Rogers (SMU)

P: Tom Ellard (WKU), Tyler Perkins (Iowa State), Jack Stonehouse (Missouri), Oliver Straw (West Virginia)

BCI Banter: No Exodus? What Do We Make of Offseason Recruiting and Transfers So Far? (bcinterruption.com; F, B, S & S)

Arthur: Well, hard to believe people would want to flee the great Boston College University, but after this season, some recruits may be fleeing. What do we make of it?

Curtis: So far, it’s just one decommitment from 3-star RB Durrell Robinson. It makes a lot of sense for an RB to decommit after the offensive line performance this season and BC having one of the worst rushing attacks in the nation. I’m not too concerned at this point, but it’s something to pay attention to.

Curran: Interestingly, DB Kahlil Ali actually recommitted to BC the other day. He had originally committed back to the Eagles back in June, before decommitting on October 31. However, Hafley and his staff clearly remained in touch as the high 3-star decided to recommit. So like Curtis said, I’m not super worried. To be honest, I was far more concerned about an exodus of BC’s current players through the transfer portal, but even that has not been too bad so far.

Grant: Especially given that there have been, what, over a thousand college athletes in the portal this year?

Curtis: Definitely surprisingly quiet for departures up to this point. And BC’s entries into the portal haven’t even been all that surprising. Jurkovec is losing his starting job, Maitre is borderline starter just doing a grad transfer, and Pyne hardly saw the field. Not anywhere close to the exodus some thought would happen.

Arthur: Yeah. I’m going to say that it’s not an abnormal amount of decommits, but it’s something to keep an eye on. I will say good on Hafley for stopping any bleeding.

Bowl matchups 2022-23: Reasons to watch every bowl game :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; Bergin)

There are 43 college football bowl games between Friday and Jan 9.

Life is good for UAB fans as of late November. The team will play its bowl game in paradise.

Plus, new head coach and former NFL quarterback Trent Dilfer could continue building a program that has reached six consecutive bowl games.

Dilfer takes over for interim Bryant Vincent, who went 6-6 this season after Bill Clark resigned in June due to health reasons.

Is there any way to find a way to get the UAB Marching Blazers band to the Bahamas? Budget limitations are a lame excuse for band members not to attend, especially after they say they were told to apply for expedited passports.

Miami is best in the Mid-American Conference in scoring defense (22.5 points per game) and rushing defense (135.8 yards per game) with the help of linebackers Ryan McWood and Matthew Salopek. Both are among the conference leaders in tackles.

Cure Bowl: No. 25 UTSA vs. No. 24 Troy (3 p.m., TV - ESPN; Radio - Buzz Sports Radio 620 AM/1550 AM/99.9 FM HD2)

Like Troy head coach Jon Sumrall says, both teams enter this matchup ranked in the top 25, and the winner will likely remain in the final rankings of the season.

A bowl game fit for a ! @CureBowl here we come ...#RiseToBuild | #OneTROY pic.twitter.com/uzqXR8plFV
— Troy Trojans Football 7x⚔️ (@TroyTrojansFB) December 4, 2022

Saturday, Dec. 17

Fenway Bowl: Cincinnati vs. Louisville (11 a.m., ESPN)

Fans will get to see Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox, get converted into a football stadium.

In the Fenway Bowl, Deion Branch will coach Louisville and Kerry Coombs will coach Cincinnati.

Former Cincinnati head coach Luke Fickell left to coach the Wisconsin Badgers.

Although new Cincinnati coach Scott Satterfield won't coach either team in this game, I need a live camera on him throughout the duration of this game. Satterfield coached Louisville to a 24-25 record over four seasons, but accepted the Cincinnati job with the vacancy created by Fickell.

Satterfield announced his decision to leave Louisville a day after the Fenway Bowl matchup got announced. Not awkward at all.

Ranking the Watchability of the ACC's Bowl Games in 2022 (athlonsports.com; Kinne)

For the second straight year, the ACC does not have a team participating in the College Football Playoff. But nine schools will be playing in bowl games in locales across the country, from Boston to San Diego, against schools from six different conferences. There will be a pair of games in historic baseball stadiums, a big brand-name matchup in Orlando, and a contest where the '22 coach of one team will be the '23 coach of the group on the other sideline

So despite the fact that the ACC will not be claiming the football national title for 2022, the bowl games involving the leagues' member institutions should be a lot of fun. Here's a ranking of the watchability of those games from one to nine.

Note: All times are ET.

1. Capital One Orange Bowl: Clemson (11-2) vs. Tennessee (10-2)

Fri., Dec. 30 – ESPN at 8:30 p.m. (Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Fla.)/live stream on fuboTV (Start your free trial)

It seems very appropriate that the Tigers and the Volunteers should meet up in the Orange Bowl. Even without Hendon Hooker, Cedric Tillman, and Jalin Hyatt, Tennessee is still a potent team under offensive guru Josh Heupel. Clemson will finally give freshman quarterback Cade Klubnik his starting opportunity after he led the Tigers to a victory in the ACC Championship Game.

2. San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl: North Carolina (9-4) vs. Oregon (9-3)

Wed., Dec. 28 — FOX at 8 p.m. (Petco Park in San Diego)/live stream on fuboTV (Start your free trial)

Both teams had their sights set on New Year's Six games, but the Holiday Bowl should be a wildly entertaining contest featuring two of 2022's top quarterbacks. Bo Nix revived his career after transferring from Auburn to Eugene and Drake Maye was named ACC Freshman and Offensive Player of the Year after leading the ACC in passing yards and touchdowns.

3. Cheez-It Bowl: Florida State (9-3) vs. Oklahoma (6-6)

Thurs., Dec. 29 – ESPN at 5:30 p.m. (Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Fla.)/live stream on fuboTV (Start your free trial)

It may not have been the best of seasons in Norman, but this is still the Seminoles and the Sooners. Oklahoma head coach Brent Venables, thanks to his time spent at Clemson, knows all about Florida State, which had a renaissance year under head coach Mike Norvell and quarterback Jordan Travis.

4. Wasabi Fenway Bowl: Louisville (7-5) vs. Cincinnati (9-3)

Sat., Dec. 17 – ESPN at 11 a.m. (Fenway Park in Boston)/live stream on fuboTV (Start your free trial)

Emotions will be running high for the Louisville players as the head coach who guided them this fall, Scott Satterfield, recently accepted the same position at Cincinnati. The Bearcats have motivation of their own, looking for their fourth double-digit win season in the last five years.

5. Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl: Pitt (8-4) vs. UCLA (9-3)

Fri., Dec. 30 — CBS at 2:30 p.m. (Sun Bowl Stadium in El Paso, Texas)/live stream on fuboTV (Start your free trial)

This is a game that features superstars on both sides. Pitt's Israel Abanikanda led the ACC with 1,431 rushing yards during the regular season while UCLA's Dorian Thompson-Robinson puts a capper on a 10,000-yard passing career. It will also be interesting to see how Pitt's defensive-minded head coach Pat Narduzzi schemes against Chip Kelly's UCLA offense.

6. Military Bowl Presented by Peraton: Duke (8-4) vs. UCF (9-4)

Wed., Dec. 28 – ESPN at 2 p.m. (Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis, Md.)/live stream on fuboTV (Start your free trial)

The Knights were probably a victory over Tulane away from a spot in the Cotton Bowl. Instead, Gus Malzahn's troops will take on Duke in Annapolis. With a win, Mike Elko's first season at Duke would conclude with the program's best record since 2014.

7. Duke's Mayo Bowl: NC State (8-4) vs. Maryland (7-5)

Fri., Dec. 30 – ESPN at 12 p.m. (Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, N.C.)/live stream on fuboTV (Start your free trial)

The former ACC rivals have not squared off since Maryland bolted for the Big Ten following the 2013 season. Led by the passing of Taulia Tagovailoa and the running of Roman Hemby, the Terrapins hope to win eight games for the first time since 2010. The NC State offense will have to adjust with coordinator Tim Beck now the head coach at Coastal Carolina.

8. Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl: Wake Forest (7-5) vs. Missouri (6-6)

Fri., Dec. 23 – ESPN at 6:30 p.m. (Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla.)/live stream on fuboTV (Start your free trial)

Where quarterback Sam Hartman will be in 2023 remains a mystery, but for at least one more game, he will be running the Demon Deacon attack. Missouri will attempt to inch above .500 without star receiver Dominic Lovett, who recently entered the transfer portal, as well as some key defenders.

9. Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl: Syracuse (7-5) vs. Minnesota (8-4)

Thurs., Dec. 29 – ESPN at 2 p.m. (Yankee Stadium in Bronx, N.Y.)/live stream on fuboTV (Start your free trial)

The school that finished No. 1 in the AP Poll in 1959 will battle the AP's top-ranked team in 1960 when the Orange play the Gophers at Yankee Stadium. Syracuse played in the 2012 Pinstripe Bowl and Minnesota is aiming for a third nine-win season under P.J. Fleck.

NC turns to Chip Lindsey to lead high-scoring offense (wnct.com; AP)

North Carolina has hired Chip Lindsey from Central Florida as its new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

The school announced the hiring Thursday, a week after Phil Longo said he would leave the Tar Heels to join the staff at Wisconsin along with offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr.

Lindsey led an offense that ranked 26th in the Bowl Subdivision ranks in scoring (34.4) and 11th in total offense (480.6) last season at UCF. Previously, Lindsey coached at Auburn and Troy.

He’ll inherit an offense that returns quarterback Drake Maye, named the Atlantic Coast Conference offensive player of the year by The Associated Press.

The school announced Wednesday that Randy Clements would coach its offensive line after two years at North Texas.

Nine ACC teams and East Carolina will play football this month as bowl season heats up (greensboro.com; Dell)

Nine ACC teams will play in a bowl game this postseason with Louisville kicking things off on Saturday at Fenway Park in Boston against Cincinnati.
All four of the in-state ACC schools are in a bowl game in the same postseason for the first time in the history of the league.
Wake Forest will be in the second bowl game involving ACC teams on Dec. 23 in Tampa against Missouri. The Demon Deacons are in their seventh straight bowl game, the second-best mark in the ACC behind only Clemson.

Also in a bowl game from the state of North Carolina is East Carolina, which will play Coastal Carolina in the Birmingham Bowl in Alabama on Dec. 27.

Here’s a look at the ACC bowl lineup that also includes East Carolina.

Wasabi Fenway Bowl, 11 a.m., ESPN (Dec. 17)

Cincinnati (9-3) vs. Louisville (7-5)​

Series: Cincinnati leads series, 30-22-1; Last meeting: Louisville, 31-24 (2013)

ESPN: Chris Cotter (play-by-play), Mark Herzlich (analyst), Kelsey Riggs (sideline)

Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl, 6:30 p.m., ESPN (Dec. 23)

Wake Forest (7-5) vs. Missouri (6-6)
Series: First meeting

ESPN: Chris Cotter (play-by-play), Mark Herzlich (analyst), Lericia Harris (sideline)

TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl, 6:45 p.m., ESPN (Dec. 27)

East Carolina (7-5) vs. Coastal Carolina (9-3)

ESPN: Tiffany Greene (play-by-play); Jay Walker (analyst); Jalyn Johnson (sideline)

Military Bowl Presented by Peraton, 2 p.m., ESPN (Dec. 28)

UCF (9-4) vs. Duke (8-4)

ESPN: Kevin Brown (play-by-play), Hutson Mason (analyst), Marilyn Payne (sideline)

Shot of Joe to Go: Case for Bowls to incentivize players to participate :: WRALSportsFan.com (wral; video; Yellow Pad Joe)

Shot of Joe to Go

Cade Klubnik shares how he has adapted to speed of game (on3.com; Samra)

for gbo

It’s starting to come naturally to Cade Klubnik.

Ahead of leading Clemson into an Orange Bowl showdown with Tennessee, the Tigers quarterback spoke with reporters about how the speed of the college football game is beginning to slow.

“Juts taking it one play at a time,” began Klubnik. “Just cancelling out the distractions, and focusing on each play one at a time. Really just trusting the guys around me to make plays. I mean, we’ve got the best players in the nation, from receivers to offensive line. Definitely got the two best running backs in the country, without a doubt.

“Just for those guys to kind of have my back, it’s so nice.”

Alas, Klubnik was thrust into action during the ACC title game, where he led Clemson to victory and the wonder of what could’ve been had they turned the keys over to him sooner. Nevertheless, Dabo Swinney is certainly happy his faith in Klubnik was rewarded.

Now, Cade Klubnik will be looking to celebrate a gigantic victory with his teammates once again when they take the field in the Orange Bowl, but Tennessee will be no easy task. Time will tell if the game has slowed down enough for him where he can defeat an SEC power, or if the Volunteers will be too much.

Other

DWNSWIQ7XVERBEX4DIF54UOSDM.jpg

Bri and Jake Lastrina, owners of SinBun in Syracuse. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

First Look: This new kitchen turned a traditional cinnamon bun into a savory steak & cheese roll for two (PS; $; Miller)

The kitchen at 435 N. Salina St. smells like the Cinnabon shop at a mall, a traditional steakhouse and New York pizzeria at the same time.

That’s exactly what Bri and Jake Lastrina are going for in their new business, SINBUN.

Bri and Jake met in Boston while working for early-stage food and beverage companies. Her experience working out of Johnson & Wales University’s Food Innovation & Technology hub in Providence, Rhode Island, fueled their passion for “disruptive products.” They also shared fond memories of baking cinnamon buns for family during the holidays.

“The smell alone makes you nostalgic,” Jake said. “We are entrepreneurs. Gourmet doughnuts, cookies and cupcakes all had their moment, and we saw a real lack of innovation in the cinnamon bun industry, so we wanted to take that and turn it into a business.”

There was only one problem, though: Bri doesn’t like sweets.

“Can we make buns like those but make them savory?” the West Genesee High School graduate asked her husband when they still lived in Boston in 2019. “Can we turn that dessert into a meal that would replace a Philly cheesesteak sandwich or pizza?”

Both are competitive and considered that a challenge. They enlisted in “Start It,” a 12-week entrepreneur course led by Collin Townsend at Syracuse’s Salt City Market. He teaches students how to start a food business. They rented a few months at the Salt City Test Kitchen, formerly the teaching restaurant run by Onondaga Community College, to develop such a concept.

Attachments

• 1671192428822.png
    1671192428822.png
    73 bytes · Views: 82
  • 1671192428801.png
    1671192428801.png
    73 bytes · Views: 85