Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to National Popcorn Day!

Popcorn, which is celebrated today, is one of four types of corn—the others being dent, flint, and sweet—and it is the only one of the four that can pop. Its hull is thicker, which allows steam pressure to build up inside before it explodes. When it bursts open, starch comes out, and as it cools it turns into the shape we are familiar with. Popcorn kernels with between 13 and 14.5 percent moisture are ideal for popping, and 13.5 percent is the best. If 98 kernels out of 100 pop, it can be looked at as being good popcorn. Popcorn is a whole grain food, being made up of the germ, endosperm, and pericarp—which is the hull. It is low in fat and in calories; there are only about 31 calories in a cup of air-popped popcorn. It is also high in fiber, and is inexpensive.

Seventy percent of popcorn is eaten at home. Of that, about 90 percent is purchased as unpopped kernels. Of the thirty percent eaten outside of the home, much of it is eaten in theaters, sports stadiums, and schools. The main states that produce it are in the Midwest, and most of the popcorn eaten throughout the world is grown in the United States. Americans eat more popcorn than anyone else. About 13 billion quarts of popped popcorn are eaten annually, which is about 42 quarts per person. Another account even puts this figure higher. About two tablespoons of unpopped popcorn makes a quart of popped popcorn. It is most eaten during fall, and a lot is also eaten during the winter months, but not as much is eaten during spring and summer.

SU News

Syracuse Cornerbacks Coach Chip West Targeted by Wake Forest to Fill Same Position (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse cornerbacks coach Chip West is being targeted by Wake Forest to fill the same position, according to various reports. West has been the cornerbacks coach with the Orange for the last three seasons. Now he could be headed to an ACC rival.

West has connections to the staff at Wake Forest. He worked for head coach Dave Clawson at Fordham and has worked for defensive coordinator Brad Lambert at both Charlotte and Marshall. That familiarity, along with turnover in the Syracuse defensive staff, is what is likely behind the potential move.

The Orange lost defensive coordinator Tony White to Nebraska this offseason prior to the Pinstripe Bowl loss to Minnesota. Nick Monroe was named interim defensive coordinator and put together a strong effort against the Golden Gophers. Despite that, Rocky Long was hired as White's replacement. Subsequently, Monroe left to take the co-defensive coordinator position at Minnesota where his dad previously coached.

The loss of West would mean three of four defensive coaches from the 2022 staff would be gone, leaving defensive line coach Chris Achuff as the lone incumbent. The offensive side of the ball was not immune either, as offensive coordinator Robert Anae left for the same title at NC State. Jason Beck, who was the quarterbacks coach in 2022, was promoted to offensive coordinator as a result.

Syracuse football: Spring task list for the Orange (TNIAMM; Wall)

As a group of new Syracuse Orange football players arrive on campus, we take a look at some of the work still left before the 2023 season.

Get the staff set

With the departures of Nick Monroe and Robert Anae, Syracuse has two assistant coach spots to fill. Steve looked at some possibilities for the defensive position, but the Orange have an offensive staff slot to fill as well.

We are approaching not only the 2023 Signing Day but the Junior Days for 2024 prospects. Losing Monroe means the Orange lost one of their main recruiters in Florida and we know how valuable that area has been for Syracuse. With two spots open, Dino Babers could really help change the recruiting narrative if he can land two talented recruiters to his group- especially if we don’t see the 75- year old Rocky Long out there as often as Tony White.

Fill in the roster gaps

Syracuse brings in a number of new players this week- of note are the three transfers on defense and one veteran offensive lineman joining the off-season workouts. Here’s the full list of new arrivals:

Freshmen: David Clement (TE), Ike Daniels (RB), Muwaffaq Parkman (RB), Jalil Smith (DE), David Omopariola (DE)

Transfers: Joe More (OL), Jayden Bellamy (CB), Jaeden Gould (CB), Braylen Ingraham (DL), Jack Morehouse (P)

As Syracuse fills out this high school class, there is likely to be more attrition from the roster when the transfer portal opens again in May. It’s important for coaches to have a strong idea of who might be going so they can leave flexibility to add transfers in the spring.

It is probably tempting to get to the scholarship limit in February, but this team could use some veteran players to allow younger players the proper time to develop...which leads me to my next point.

2024 Marques Easley on Syracuse offer: 'It's a vibe school' - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

One of the most coveted linemen in the midwest is 2024 Kankakee (Ill.) High’s Marques Easley.

A three-star prospect and the No. 39 overall offensive tackle in his class according to 247, Easley has received plenty of attention from high-majors, racking up offers from Florida State, Iowa State, Texas A&M, Illinois, Wisconsin, Penn State and Indiana, among many others.

After a great conversation with @CoachLynch I’m blessed to receive an offer from Syracuse University #orange #Syracuse @CoachShaqPowell @Kendrick_Crite @adamgorney @AllenTrieu @Rivals_Clint @EDGYTIM @CuseFootball pic.twitter.com/gmNzSEm2Sq
— BIG EZ (@marqueseasley10) January 18, 2023

Syracuse was the latest school to offer the 6-foot-7, 300 pound prospect, who led his team to an 8-3 record and a second place finish in the competitive Southland Conference.

“It felt good,” Easley said in an interview with The Juice Online about the SU offer. “I think it’s a vibe school.”

Syracuse offensive line coach Mike Lynch extended the offer.

“Coach (Lynch) got nothing but great vibes,” Easley said.

At some point, Easley will need to trim down from the more than 20 offers he’s received.

But as of now, he’s not in a rush.

“Right now, everyone just on me,” Easley said. “I have no favorite as of right now. I’m looking for who needs me and not wants me.”

2024 ATH Mylachi Williams 'felt great' getting Syracuse offer - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

2024 Monsignor Bonner (PA) ATH Mylachi Williams has seen his recruitment skyrocket in January.

Just in the last week, Williams has picked up offers from Temple, James Madison, West Virginia and Rutgers. Williams attended Penn State’s junior day on Saturday, and received an offer after his performance.

Blessed to receive a Division 1 offer from Syracuse! pic.twitter.com/j7Dlre7vdc
— Mylachi Williams (@24MylachiW) January 18, 2023

Syracuse also offered the 6-foot-5, 210-pound prospect on Wednesday.

“It felt great to get another opportunity to play football at a high level,” Williams said in an interview with The Juice Online.

He added that he likes Syracuse’s style of play and has heard “pretty great” things about Syracuse.

“But I’m not going based off what I hear,” Williams said. “I’m going based off what I like when I visit.”

Williams’ recruitment is one to keep an eye on as he continues to rack up the offers.

As for what he’s looking for in a college?

“I’m looking for a family,” Williams said, “and somewhere I fit at.”

Syracuse should embrace upward mobility potential in recruiting - The Juice Online (the juice; Stechschulte)

Classes for the spring 2023 semester at Syracuse started on Tuesday, but without a few noticeable players from the football program and not due to an illness picked up over the holiday break. Rather, nine players who were formerly part of the program are no longer members of the Orange.

Early on, the transfer portal entrants looked a lot like the previous offseason, as most of the players departing the program were those who were not major contributors on the field and possibly looking at a step down in competition level in order to get more playing time.

Of course, a new dimension of the transfer portal opened up for SU in mid-December. Defensive backs Ja’Had Carter and Duce Chestnut climbed several steps up the ladder, landing at LSU and Ohio State, respectively, and pass-rushing defensive end Steve Linton officially landed at Texas Tech last week.

Linton was a rotational player at Syracuse who appeared in 29 games with one start over four seasons, netting 8.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks in that time. Carter and Chestnut, however, were major contributors for the Orange.

Carter started 28 times in three seasons for SU, tallying three interceptions to lead the team this season, earning Honorable Mention All-ACC honors. Chestnut started all 24 games in his two years at Syracuse and immediately made a splash as a playmaking cornerback, snagging three of his four career interceptions as a freshman, including one in his first game at Ohio.

Now, Carter and Chestnut are stepping up from the Orange, a program that went to its second bowl game in the last nine years this past December, to programs with legitimate national championship aspirations. With significant contributors leaving to chase bigger and better opportunities, where does that leave SU, a bottom-end major-conference team (the Orange are 24-62 against Power 5 schools in the college playoff era, tied for 61st in winning percentage of 65 Power 5 teams)? How can Syracuse, who all too often is hoping to just finish .500 and simply make a bowl game, compete with those giants?

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2023/01/devaughn-cooper/ (nfldraftdiamonds.com.; Berendzen)

Name: Devaughn Cooper
Position: WR
College: Syracuse University
Height: 5’11 1/2″
Weight: 190 lbs
Twitter: @coopa_da_rula
Instagram: @coopdaville_

What made you decide you wanted to be a football player?

I have been playing football since I was 7 years old. I have always liked the sport but when I was younger I would be playing outside and one day someone in my family suggested I play tackle football with an organization just as my older cousin was doing. My mom listened to the suggestion and put me on a pop warner football team called the Wilsher Huskies. I played for the Wilsher Huskies from 7 years old all the way to high school and developed a love/passion for the sport.

What are you looking to achieve as a football player going forward?

I am looking to achieve the opportunity to keep playing the sport I love and continuing my football career at the next level.

Chancellor Kent Syverud Delivers 2023 Winter Message to the University Community (syr.edu)

Chancellor Kent Syverud shared his 2023 Winter Message to the University community in a virtual message.

Below is the text of his remarks.

Greetings! I welcome all friends of Syracuse University to a new semester and a new year, whether you are here in Syracuse or part of the Orange community around the world.

I am coming to you today on campus from Link Hall and the College of Engineering and Computer Science. The spaces here are in the process of dramatic renovations to benefit students, faculty and research. That includes state-of-the-art laboratory renovations. By this fall, the space I am in will be a working laboratory for Professor Ian Hosein and his team in biomedical and chemical engineering. They are investigating battery power sources that may be safer, more abundant and more environmentally sustainable for all of us in the future.

This important work is an example of exciting progress and contributions to humanity at our university. There are many such examples, and they should give us reason for optimism about our university and our community in the year ahead. This is a time of extraordinary challenges in the world, and extraordinary opportunities for Syracuse University and its people to make a difference in addressing them. Our university is ready to do so. We are thriving as we take on the future.

Today in this message, I want to concisely brief you on what has been happening at Syracuse University and what to expect in the semester and the year ahead.

This semester begins with great momentum. In the fall, the University hosted a once-in-a-generation announcement from Micron Technology that puts Central New York on the path to economic resurgence.

There also was a campuswide focus on mapping out the University’s academic priorities and setting a course for the future. And, our athletics teams are having unprecedented success, including a national championship! No matter how you slice it, it’s a great time to be Orange!

Our People

First and most important, Syracuse University is thriving because of our amazing people—faculty, students, staff, alumni and supporters—and because of their great work.

Our students want to be here. There is joy in returning to day-to-day collaboration in classrooms and laboratories, studio spaces and performance halls.

In August of 2022 we had one of the largest first-year classes in school history—4,095 students strong. On Saturday we officially welcomed more than 470 new students to campus. That includes transfer students from more than 40 colleges and universities.

For the third year in a row, Syracuse University has received a record number of undergraduate applications. Graduate and doctoral applications are up as well, bucking national trends of declines in these areas.

Our students are talented and curious. They come from various backgrounds, geographies, experiences and cultures.

Students of color make up 41% of this year’s applicants and comprise 30% of the fall 2022 entering first-year class. Twelve percent of students hail from a country outside the United States. And our campus is home to 350 Indigenous students. Nearly one in five students is the first in their family to attend college. Nearly 6% of the student body are veterans or military-connected. Each student is unique, but all equally Orange.

ACC News

NC State, Duke football to host Notre Dame in 2023; Irish have won 28 straight vs. ACC in regular season :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; Murphy)

Notre Dame has won 28 consecutive regular-season games and against ACC opponents, a streak dating back to 2017.

NC State will get the first chance to end that streak in 2023, hosting Notre Dame on Sept. 9 in Raleigh. It is the home opener for NC State.

See you September 9th in Carter-Finley!#1Pack1Goal | #HTT pic.twitter.com/ZpSusX0sDL
— NC State Football (@PackFootball) January 18, 2023

The teams last played in Raleigh in 2015, a 10-3 NC State victory that was played during Hurricane Matthew. Notre Dame beat NC State 35-14 in the last meeting in 2017. The teams also played in the Gator Bowl on Jan. 1, 2003, a 28-6 NC State win.
Notre Dame will visit Duke on Sept. 30 and host Wake Forest on Nov. 18. Former Wake Forest star quarterback Sam Hartman transferred to Notre Dame this offseason.

NC State could have former Virginia quarterback Brennan Armstrong under center as well.

The Irish went 9-4 ion 2022, but defeated all four ACC teams on their schedule, including ACC title game participants Clemson and North Carolina. Notre Dame also beat Syracuse and Boston College.

Notre Dame is not a member of the ACC but plays four or five games each year against ACC schools. The Irish played a league schedule in 2020. Notre Dame has lost to Clemson twice in the postseason (in the 2020 ACC title game and in the 2018 national semifinals) since its last regular season loss to an ACC team.

NC State (8-5 in 2022) is scheduled to visit UConn to open its season on Sept. 2.

Duke (9-4) last hosted Notre Dame in 2019. Duke is scheduled to open its 2023 season against Temple.

Notre Dame also plays ACC opponents Louisville, Pittsburgh and Clemson. The Irish, which open their season vs. Navy in Ireland, host national powers Ohio State and USC.

ACC Football: 10 Players Who Will Replace NFL Draft Early Entrants in 2023 (athlonsports.com; Kinne)

The emergence of NIL has obviously changed the landscape of college football in many ways. In one respect, college athletes can opt to stay in school and still make money. However, many of the top football players in America have their sights on the NFL and will enter the draft.

Despite a less-than-stellar season, the ACC has several prospects that will be jumping to the next level. Their former programs will spend the offseason finding replacements for these stars. Here are 10 ACC stalwarts that are moving on to the NFL and the leading candidates to fill the void that has been created by their departures.

North Carolina

Gone:
Josh Downs, WR

Despite being a true contributor in just two seasons, Downs leaves North Carolina as the third-leading receiver in program history with 202 grabs. He is also fourth in yardage and second in touchdown receptions. When Sam Howell and then Drake Maye needed a big conversion, they looked to Downs first.

In: Andre Greene Jr.

Kobe Paysour, as a redshirt freshman, showed that he can be a very effective receiver, but he'll need help. With a bigger body, Greene is a much different player than Downs, but the former top-100 recruit oozes talent. Knowing that his role will increase in 2023, head coach Mack Brown got him involved in the Holiday Bowl game plan and Greene responded with three catches with one of those resulting in a touchdown.

Pittsburgh

Gone: Israel Abanikanda, RB

Abanikanda had a nice 2021 season, but no one could have expected his development as a junior. In 11 games, he rushed for 1,431 yards and 20 touchdowns. That placed him seventh nationally and first in the ACC. Replacing that production with just one guy will be extremely difficult, but running the ball effectively is vital in Pat Narduzzi's system.

In: Rodney Hammond Jr.

In reality, Hammond was already there. In two seasons, the junior-to-be has 965 rushing yards and has 10 rushing touchdowns. As of this moment, Pitt has not added a running back from the portal and Hammond was ahead of other Panthers backs this past fall, so he should be the primary ball carrier in 2023.

Pittsburgh

Gone: Calijah Kancey, DT

Like with Israel Abanikanda, filling up the stat totals left behind by Kancey will be nearly impossible. In 2021, Kancey had 13 tackles for a loss and seven sacks. He bettered those numbers in 2022, registering 14.5 tackles for a loss with 7.5 of those being sacks on his way to earning ACC Defensive Player of the Year honors. Defensive tackles that are that active don't grow on trees.

In: Elliot Donald

No pressure here. Donald is the nephew of former Pitt legend and sure-fire NFL Hall of Famer Aaron Donald. Donald the younger has yet to make a huge impact for the Panthers, but he was the top prospect in the 2021 recruiting class and had offers from Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, and Ohio State.

Clemson

Gone: Bryan Bresee, DT

Bresee's career was a bit of a mixed bag. He came in as the No. 1 overall recruit in 2020 and at times he showed how great he could be, so much so that he is projected to be an early first-round selection. But injuries limited him to 28 games in three years and his 51 career tackles and nine sacks fell far short of what most expected.

In: DeMonte Capehart

Veterans Tyler Davis and Ruke Orhoorhoro return to provide some stability to the interior of the defensive line. But Capehart — as well as Payton Page and Tre Williams — will push for playing time as well. Capehart was an extremely coveted recruit in the class of 2020 and now that Bresee has moved on, he may have the opportunity to shine. Also keep an eye on Peter Woods, the highest-ranked player in the incoming freshman class.

Clemson

Gone: Myles Murphy, DE

Another five-star recruit from the 2020 class, Murphy had 18.5 sacks and 36 tackles for a loss during his career. He had double-digit tackles for a loss in each of his three seasons and like Bresee, he is projected to be taken at the top of the first round.

In: Cade Denhoff

Xavier Thomas and Justin Mascoll are very experienced ends that are expected to get the lion's share of playing time in 2023, but Denhoff is a wild card that could be a more dynamic edge presence. Now 255 pounds, Denhoff had offers from Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State coming out of high school two years ago.

Clemson

Gone: Trenton Simpson, LB

Simpson's linebacking responsibilities changed in 2022 and his production went down a bit. Still, he compiled 72 tackles and was a third-team All-ACC selection. Simpson still holds a first-round grade, meaning Clemson could lose will lose three Day 1 picks from its defensive front seven.

In: Wade Woodaz

Despite being an unheralded recruit in the class of 2022, Woodaz saw action in every game as a true freshman and had 20 tackles, with 5.5 of them resulting in lost yardage. Woodaz is a versatile player that excelled in coverage for a player on the second level.

Syracuse

Gone: Sean Tucker, RB

Syracuse's running back tradition is as good as any school in America. The fact that Tucker is third in Orange history in rushing yardage is a clear indicator of how valuable he has been to the program. His total yards and yards per carry dipped a little in 2022, but he still reached the end zone 13 times and was named second-team All-ACC.

In: LeQuint Allen

The true freshman didn't see much action during the regular season, but his 90-yard run against FCS Wagner was the longest by an Orange player in 73 years. When Tucker declared for the NFL draft, Allen became the top back in the Pinstripe Bowl and he responded with 94 yards on 15 carries.

Syracuse

Gone: Garrett Williams, CB

An ACL tear ended Williams' season early, but he still finished with 36 tackles and two interceptions in just seven games. He has good size and has never been afraid of contact, which makes him a possible Day 2 draft selection.

In: Jaeden Gould/Jayden Bellamy

It's unclear where Gould and Bellamy fit in the secondary, but in a perfect world, at least one of them will start at corner. The teammates at Bergen Catholic High School in Oradell, New Jersey, each have four years of eligibility remaining after transferring into Syracuse: Gould from Nebraska and Bellamy from Notre Dame.

Miami football 7th in way too early ACC power rankings (caneswarning.com; Rubenstein)

Sam Marsdale of 247 Sports ranked the Miami football team seventh in his “ACC football: FSU headlines way-too-early power rankings heading into 2023.” After a vastly underachieving season in 2022, Miami enters the 2023 offseason with a considerable amount of skeptics. Miami has to prove itself in 2023.

Head coach Mario Cristobal and the Miami football staff have started the process of remaking the Hurricanes’ roster. Miami lost 19 players to the transfer portal in 2023. The Hurricanes have added seven transfers and 25 freshmen who signed national letters of intent last month to join Miami for the 2023 season.

The 2022 season was the last for the ACC with the Atlantic and Coastal divisions. Instead of each division champion earning a berth in the ACC Championship Game, the top two teams overall in the conference will play in the title game. Miami faces a far more difficult path to the ACC Championship game in the future.

The Atlantic Division was far more competitive in 2022 than the Coastal Division that Miami played in since 2005. Miami played in its only ACC Championship game in 2017 after winning its sole outright Coastal Division Title. Miami will play Boston College, Louisville and Florida State annually in the new ACC Football schedule format.

7 HURRICANES 5-7

Last rank: 10

Miami football ACC Power Rankings entering offseason

7. MIAMI HURICANES (5-7, 3-5 ACC)
“The Hurricanes struggled on both sides of the ball, failing to reach 20 points on offense for the fourth time this season while allowing at least 40 points in five games in their season finale against Pittsburgh. Pressure will be on Mario Cristobal to fix this in Year 2. Expect the Hurricanes to be a bit better.”

An injured shoulder to starting quarterback Tyler Van Dyke hindered Miami offensively for most of the second half of the 2022 season. True freshman Jacurri Brown and redshirt freshman Jake Garcia who is transferring were inconstant for Miami at QB behind Van Dyke. Miami will look different offensively in 2023.

Miami QBs coach Frank Ponce was hired for the same position and offensive coordinator at Appalachian State. Ponce held the same position for the Mountaineers in 2021. There has been a lot of speculation that current Miami OC Josh Gattis will not return to the Hurricanes for the 2023 season.

The Miami football team needs Van Dyke to return to the form that earned him the ACC Rookie of the Year and offensive rookie of the year in 2021. The question remains if Miami has enough playmakers surrounding Van Dyke to produce offensively. Miami should have an improved offensive line in 2023.

NEXT: ESPN reports Miami QB Jake Garcia entering transfer portal

Defensive coordinator Kevin Steele is expected to return for Miami in 2022. The 40 points allowed five times by Miami defensively in 2022 was the first time that happened in program history. Miami allowed far too many big plays defensively in 2022. Miami needs vast improvement to surpass its ranking of seventh in the ACC.

Pitt football staff impressions from high school coaches and recruiting coordinators (cardiachill.com; Parra)

There has been a lot of talk about the Pittsburgh Panthers and their ability to recruit players, especially after the highs and lows of the 2023 class. Still, the Panthers ended up with a top 50 overall class according to 24/7 Sports. Pitt is currently sitting at 48th nationwide for the class of 2023 and 8th in the ACC. The Athletic was able to dig a little in their 2023 ACC recruiting confidential to offer some insight into just how these high schools viewed the ACC staff and who stood out to them the most.

C857E728_1D43_43A1_805E_147D3B7A66F3.jpeg

Since 2018, the Pitt Panthers have been the best at recruiting out of Pennsylvania in the ACC and have had success in New Jersey and Maryland as well. Even though Pitt may not be top three they are still successful in the state of Florida as well. Out of the 19 players that have signed their letters of intent with the program, 7 of those players have come from the sunshine state.

Clemson Football: Will conference realignment take center stage again? (rubbingtherock.com; Chancey)

The basketball teams are in mid-season and the baseball & softball teams are getting ready for the first pitches of their seasons. There is plenty of action left for Tiger sports before the summer break, but with Clemson Football now entering the offseason, it is probably only a matter of time before conference realignment news begins to churn again.

Several realignment decisions from last offseason are set to begin with the start of the 2023-24 calendar. The following changes will all take place starting next season.

• Big 12: BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF will be joining, temporarily giving the conference 14 teams until Texas and Oklahoma depart for the SEC, which is planned for 2025, but could happen sooner.
  • American: Charlotte, Florida Atlantic, North Texas, Rice, UAB, and UTSA will be joining.
  • Conference-USA: Liberty, New Mexico State, Jacksonville State, Sam Houston State, and Kennesaw State will be joining. The latter three programs will be moving up from the FCS level.
USC and UCLA plan to join the Big Ten starting with the 2024 season, so they will remain in the PAC-12 for one more year.

The question most relevant for Clemson is whether there are any changes to the ACC. The Grant of Rights for the conference lasts through the end of the 2035-36 season, which means the rights to broadcast the sports properties of every ACC institution will belong to the conference for another thirteen years. The conference then licenses those rights to broadcasters.

There do not appear to be any easy solutions for teams that want to exit Grant of Rights contracts. They are dictating USC’s and UCLA’s moves to the Big Ten: the PAC-12’s GOR expires at the end of the 2023-24 season.

It is also dictating the actions of Texas and Oklahoma. The Big 12’s GOR expires at the end of the 2024-25 season. The two schools would like to leave sooner, but they must negotiate an earlier exit.

For an ACC team to get out of the GOR, they have two realistic possibilities: 1) take legal action to get the GOR thrown out or 2) negotiate compensation with the league to allow them to exit the GOR.

Win Pct vs P5, CFP Era (RX; HM)

Way Too Early 2023 Heisman Odds

While most oddsmakers have Caleb Williams the favorite to repeat as Heisman, SportsBetting.ag has made UNC's Drake Maye the early favorite over Williams. Both are around 5-1 in terms of odds, but the sophomore from North Carolina has slightly better chances.

Perhaps the oddsmakers are banking on the fact that no player has won the bronze statue in back-to-back seasons since Archie Manning in the mid-70s.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: These odds are provided strictly for informational purposes. We recognize that many fans appreciate knowing how outsiders view their team's "odds of winning". However, neither Hokie Mark nor ACCFootballRx supports, endorses, or condones gambling. We strongly urge you NOT TO GAMBLE! Use this information as it is intended by us: for informational and entertainment purposes only.
Heisman Trophy odds for 2023 will be updated daily on this page: https://www.sportsbetting.ag//futures-and-props/ncaaf-futures

2023 Heisman Trophy Odds

PlayerSchoolOdds
Drake MayeUNC525
Caleb Williams550
Jordan TravisFSU800
Michael Penix Jr.1200
Sam HartmanND1200
Bo Nix1400
Jayden Daniels2000
Joe Milton2000
Kyle McCord2000
Cade KlubnikClemson2500
Drew Allar2500
Quinn Ewers2500
Brock Vandagriff2800
Blake Corum3300
Carson Beck3300
Dillon Gabriel4000
J.J. McCarthy4000
Spencer Rattler4000
Ty Simpson4000
DJ Uiagalelei5000
Jeff Sims5000
KJ Jefferson5000
Marvin Harrison Jr.5000
Nick Singleton5000
Quinshon Judkins5000
TreVeyon Henderson5000
Devin Brown6600
Jalen Milroe6600
Will ShipleyClemson6600
Arch Manning7500
Will Rogers7500
Cameron Rising8000
Conner Weigman8000
Devin Leary8000
Donovan Edwards8000
Gunner Stockton8000
Jase McClellan8000
Nico Iamaleava8000
Raheim Sanders10000
Tyler Shough10000

Other ACC players on this list include both the QB and RB for Clemson, as well as Florida State QB Jordan Travis and Sam Hartman, who recently transfered from Wake Forest to Notre Dame. Other former ACC players who have transferred include Devin Leary and D.J. Uiagalelei.

UConn athletics deficit climbed to $53M in 2022 (ESPN; AP)

The University of Connecticut's athletic department deficit rose to $53 million during the 2022 fiscal year, an increase the school attributed to $13.4 million it was forced to pay former head men's basketball coach Kevin Ollie.

The deficit, reported in the school's annual financial statement to the NCAA and released publicly on Tuesday, compares to a $47.2 million deficit reported for the 2021 fiscal year.

It was covered by $46.5 million in direct support from the school and another $6.5 million in student fees, according to the report.

The school said part of the deficit was related to money it was forced to pay after an arbitrator's ruling that it improperly fired Ollie in 2018 and to settle other claims related to Ollie's dismissal.

Discounting those payments, the actual operational institutional support to athletics decreased by $7.3 million to $33.2 million in fiscal 2022. The school also said it saw philanthropic donations rise to $23.6 million, which was the third-highest total in the athletic department's history, up 12% from the previous year.

"At a time when budgets of 'Power 5' conference members have increased substantially and in some cases are nearing $200 million, UConn athletics continues to find ways to remain competitive nationally with far less," the school said.

Sources: Kendal Briles will be TCU football’s next offensive coordinator (fltimes.com; Johnson)

Kendal Briles will be the next offensive coordinator for TCU.

Sources confirmed to the Star-Telegram on Wednesday that Briles, the son of former Baylor coach Art Briles, will be joining coach Sonny Dykes’ staff. The deal could be announced as early as Thursday.

Briles will replace Garrett Riley, who accepted a lucrative offer from Clemson to become the Tigers’ offensive coordinator. Briles has spent the last three seasons at Arkansas and got his coaching start in 2008 at Baylor under his father.

While Briles experienced plenty of on-field success, including winning the Broyles Award in 2015 as the nation’s top assistant, he was also on staff during the sexual assault scandal that rocked Baylor and college football in 2016.

Art was fired in 2016, but Kendal remained on new head coach Jim Grobe’s staff the following season. Kendal was not implicated in any wrongdoing, but according to a Title IX lawsuit filed Jan. 27, 2017, Briles asked a Dallas-area recruit: “Do you like white women? Because we have a lot of them at Baylor and they love football players.”

It’s one of the reasons the move has been met with pushback by many TCU fans, but in the end TCU has their man. On the field, Briles has a solid track record and has held numerous jobs since leaving Baylor.

At Florida Atlantic and Houston, he produced top 10 scoring offenses in 2017 and 2018 before heading to Florida State. He spent a year in Tallahassee in 2019 and then joined Sam Pittman’s staff at Arkansas.

Briles inherited a team that averaged 21.4 points per game and gained 340.1 yards per game in 2019 prior to his arrival but in 2021 the Hogs scored 30.9 points per game and racked up 441.7 yards per game, the most since 2015.

Other

1674130804059.jpeg

Central New York town named one of best markets for first-time homebuyers (PS; $; Herbert)

Planning to buy your first home? Check out Central New York.

Realtor.com named the best markets for first-time homebuyers in 2023 on Wednesday, ranking the Syracuse suburb of Mattydale as No. 9 in the nation. Two other Upstate New York locations also made the list: Eggertsville, in the Buffalo-Niagara Falls metro area, ranked seventh in the U.S. and Watervliet, in the Albany-Schenectady-Troy region, was eighth overall.

Mattydale also tied Gloucester, N.J., as the most affordable location among the top 10 places for first-time homebuyers. The real estate website said the best markets offer an average 2022 listing price to income ratio of 3.5 for 25-to-34 year-olds, much lower than the national rate of 5.1.

Zillow similarly named Syracuse the No. 3 metro for first-time homebuyers nationwide last month, praising the area’s affordability and housing inventory.

The Realtor.com rankings are based on a number of factors, including affordability, livability, job opportunities, short commute times, places to eat and drink, the number of homes to choose from, and the age of the population. Mattydale has a 3.6% unemployment rate, an average commute of 21 minutes (the national average is 30) and a forecasted 25-34-year-old population share of 12.9% in 2023.

“The housing market will continue to be challenging for first-time buyers in the coming year, but for those with a bit of flexibility in where they live, there are markets where young buyers can find not just a relatively affordable home, but a neighborhood that offers a mix of economic opportunity and lifestyle amenities,” Realtor.com Chief Economist Danielle Hale said in a statement. “Affordability is always a consideration for first-time buyers, but it’s also important to make sure that you’re settling down in a location that has all the qualities that make it an enjoyable place to live – after all, you’re not just buying a house, you’re investing in a community.”

The methodology used towns with a population of at least 5,000 residents, comparing median listing prices on Realtor.com and other data from the U.S. Census Bureau, Moody’s Analytics projections of U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Local Area Unemployment Statistics and County Business Patterns data.

See the top 10 real estate markets for first time homebuyers in 2023 (according to Realtor.com):

1. Portsmouth, Virginia
2. DeForest, Wisconsin
3. Windsor Locks, Connecticut
4. Gloucester City, New Jersey
5. Moore, Oklahoma
6. Magna, Utah
7. Eggertsville, N.Y.
8. Watervliet, N.Y.
9. Mattydale, N.Y.
10. Somersworth, New Hampshire