Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Drop Everything and Read Day!

Drop Everything and Read Day, or D.E.A.R. Day, encourages families to set a time aside to "drop everything and read" at home today for at least 30 minutes, and reminds and encourages families to read together on a daily basis. Drop Everything and Read (D.E.A.R.) is similar to sustained silent reading (S.S.T.), and Drop Everything and Read Day brings it into the home with parental involvement and aims to get people to make reading a regular part of their life, whether by reading alone or with others. Not only does reading take place in homes today, but events are held at libraries, schools, and bookstores. Many organizations have been partnered or involved with the day over the years, including the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) (a division of the American Library Association), First Book, the General Federation of Women's Clubs, HarperCollins Children's Books, the National Education Association (NEA), the National Parent Teacher Association (PTA), The Newspaper Association of America Foundation, Read Kiddo Read, Reading Rockets, and Walden Media.

SU News

EHZTRA6IIZCJTI4AHMHGHSQAPQ.jpg

Defensive back Bralyn Oliver defends against #2 Trebor Pena. The Syracuse football team starts hit fourth week of spring prank practices, April 11, 2023. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com Dennis Nett

Babers, players talk defensive position groups as end of spring nears (PS; $; Leiker)

Syracuse football’s defense is in a bit of a limbo this spring.

While it returns a hefty number of depth chart players from the end of 2022, several of those players — particularly at the linebacker position — are out for spring ball.

“It’s good to have your starters returning, but it’s even better to have the starters out there,” SU coach Dino Babers said Tuesday.

Babers said he does not believe any of the injured players will make a return this spring, but that they are expected to be on-field again by fall camp.

Here’s what Babers and some players said about each defensive position group as the end of the spring season nears.

Defensive line

Syracuse’s defensive line completely revamped its narrative in the past year.

Now the position group with some of the most depth and experience on either side of the ball, there’s confidence in the group this spring. The last thing they’re working on getting down, redshirt sophomore Jatius Geer said, is the playbook under new defensive coordinator Rocky Long.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/syracuse-at-top-2024-qb-maurice-williams-after-visit (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football hosted class of 2024 quarterback Maurice Williams for yet another visit over the weekend. The New Jersey product has been to campus several times and continues to enjoy every moment.

"The visit went great, the practice was great, felt like i was at home," Williams said. "I spoke with my position coach (Jason Beck) and watched the practice. Also got to take a few shots in the uniforms. The best part was breaking down practice film and talking it over with my coach Beck, getting to understand his offensive philosophy and imagining myself in this RPO offense."

That meeting with coach Beck was an impactful one as they outlined how Williams fits into the Syracuse offense.

"Coach Beck said my athleticism and my ability to extend plays is what made Syracuse have interest," Williams said. "He said my gameplay is 50/50. 50% with my arm and 50 with my legs. My skillset works perfectly in the offense since all the QBs currently on roster are dual threats. I learned and understood the offense way more."

Syracuse football recruiting: Orange land new commitment after big weekend of visits (TNIAAM; Wall)

The Syracuse Orange football team completed a busy weekend of visits. It seemed like the focus last weekend was on the Northeast and it paid off yesterday when offensive lineman Noah Rosahac committed

COMMITTED‼️ Let’s get to work Cuse nation‼️ #cusenation #Syracuse #juicedup pic.twitter.com/CL8WEmJ3cw
— Noah Rosahac (@noahrosahac76) April 10, 2023

Rosahac is a 6’5 280 lb lineman from Jim Thorpe, PA, who is being recruited to play offensive tackle. The 2024 recruit had offers from Virginia Tech, Coastal Carolina, Temple and James Madison and had been in conversation with Pitt, Penn State, and West Virginia.

He told PAFootballnews.com that he wanted to commit early because he felt he was a priority for the Orange and that he felt a strong connection to new OL coach Steve Farmer.

“I would say Coach Farmer really recruited me a lot and did it very well, I felt that we had a great connection and I’m excited to see what my future holds to work with him.”

Rosahac is not ranked by the major recruiting sites. Syracuse’s 2024 class is ranked 48th by On3.com.

After players advocated for it, SU added team nutritionist (PS; $; Leiker)

Last year at ACC Kickoff, Mikel Jones didn’t shy away from sharing what he felt the Syracuse football program he was representing lacked.

Jones said he felt SU’s nutrition department was behind compared to ACC peers and that adding a nutritionist to staff could elevate the program.

That was in late July.

The next anyone heard of the issue was when Syracuse University Athletic Director John Wildhack told syracuse.com during a December interview the program was looking to hire a dietitian after a season filled with both major and minor injuries.

Defensive lineman Jatius Geer affirmed this spring that it was player feedback that pushed the institution to finally hire a team nutritionist in early March.

6435993af2d01.image.jpg

Syracuse offensive lineman Matthew Bergeron runs a drill at the NFL scouting combine. Erin Hooley

Analyst thinks Syracuse's Matthew Bergeron could be an ideal fit for Bills (buffalonews.com)

Syracuse offensive lineman Matthew Bergeron is being projected as a second-round pick in the NFL Draft.

Listed at 6-foot-5 and 318 pounds, Bergeron was a three-year starter for the Orange.

Ryan Fowler from The Draft Network recently listed the "13 Best Player-Team Fits" in the draft, and he has Bergeron being a match for the Buffalo Bills.
"I like Matthew at either tackle or guard, but would start him on the perimeter after what I’ve seen on either side for the Orange. He’s arguably the best run blocker in the class, which is why many want to move him in, but small tinkers on the outside with his hand counters and anchor could see him progress into a high-level tackle that is simply not easy to find," Fowler told The News.

ACC News

ACC, commissioner Jim Phillips agree to extension (theathletic; $; Auerbach)

The ACC and commissioner Jim Phillips have agreed to a contract extension, a conference source confirmed to The Athletic. An extension had been in the works between the two parties for at least a few weeks. ESPN first reported the news. Here’s what you need to know:

• Phillips is entering his third year at the helm of the conference after a long run as athletic director at Northwestern. He has served on several influential NCAA committees, including the NCAA Board of Directors, Board of Governors and Division I Men’s Basketball Selection Committee.
  • The ACC’s current grant of rights contract ties its members together through 2035-36, but recent discussions over how to generate additional revenue or divide it differently among ACC schools have left the conference focused increasingly on its future.
  • Phillips was tabbed to replace John Swofford atop the ACC during a period of significant turnover among Power 5 commissioners; the Big Ten, Pac-12 and Big 12 also introduced new leaders between 2020 and 2022. The SEC’s Greg Sankey is the longest-tenured P5 commissioner, having held the role since June 2015.

What it means for the Big Ten

The news of Phillips’ extension is quite notable from a timing standpoint. The Big Ten is in the final stages of its search for a new commissioner, with finalist interviews ongoing and a potential announcement coming as soon as this week.

Florida State offensive lineman granted seventh year of eligibility (tallahassee.com; FSU SI)

Florida State offensive lineman D’Mitri Emmanuel has been granted an extra year of eligibility and will play his seventh collegiate season for the Seminoles in 2023, it was announced Tuesday.

“We are happy to have D’Mitri with our program for another year,” head coach Mike Norvell said. “Since he joined the Nole Family as a graduate transfer prior to last season, he has displayed tremendous leadership, effort and football knowledge. D’Mitri was a major contributor to our success as a team in 2022 and has been an outstanding leader for our younger offensive lineman. We’re excited for him that he will have another season to showcase his ability and continue to help the overall growth of our program.”

Pitt spring football notebook: Secondary settles with new safeties, Panthers ready for competition (P-G; Carter)

Pitt football’s 14 interceptions in 2022 was third-most in the ACC and played a big part in the Panthers’ defensive presence in their second consecutive season with nine or more wins.

Now, the Panthers look to recreate that success with the same, experienced cornerback group and a new group of safeties. M.J. Devonshire, Marquis Williams and A.J. Woods lead a cornerback room that’s complemented by Rashad Battle and young up-and-comers like Ryland Gandy. But the safeties are going to have a new starting pair, with new Florida transfer Donovan McMillon, P.J. O’Brien, Stephon Hall and Javon McIntyre all rotating in and out at Pitt’s safety positions.

“I’ve definitely [become] more comfortable at the boundary safety position,” McMillon said Tuesday at UPMC Rooney Sports Complex after Pitt’s 13th spring practice. “Whenever it comes to our hot coverages when I’m coming down into the box and reading the quarterback’s eyes, that’s something I’m comfortable with, as well. I’m just getting used to calling the play and making sure my linebackers, corners and everyone know the play call and the right alignment.”

No Plans Saturday? Head to Scott Stadium (virginia.edu)

The University of Virginia football team’s annual Blue-White Game is set for Saturday at 2 p.m. at Scott Stadium. The contest is free to the public, as is parking at Scott Stadium and normal football game day lots. Gates will open at 1 p.m.

The game will be televised live on the ACC Network with John Schriffen, Roddy Jones and Kelsey Riggs calling the action. The broadcast will include live on-field interviews with head coach Tony Elliott and members of his coaching staff.

The Blue-White game is the final date for Virginia during its spring practice period. The Cavaliers will divide up into two squads and play a four-quarter game. The team will arrive at Scott Stadium at 12:45 p.m. at the Southeast Gate for the Wahoo Walk.

Seating for the Blue-White Game will be restricted to the east side of Scott Stadium and the hillside due to a maintenance project in the west side stands.

Meet the Team: Following the contest, players will be available for a Meet the Team event sponsored by UVA Orthopedics. It will take place on the field at Scott Stadium with players available for a 30-minute autograph session.

JHowell's Picks for 2023 Weeks 0 and 1 (RX; HM)

JHowell's Picks for 2023 Weeks 0 and 1

JHowell's computer has already spit out predictions for the first round of games this Fall. Of course, any calculations at this point must be based primarily on last season's stats, so the impact of new players (freshmen, transfers, etc.) isn't really known yet.

Here is the explanation from JHowell.net:

Below are the projections through the games of 9-3-23. Games against non-rated teams are excluded. The favorite is listed first with the projected margin of victory (i.e., the line) in parenthesis. 'TP' represents the total number of points expected to be scored in the game and 'Odds' represents the odds of the favorite winning straight-up (not against-the-spread).
And here are the ACC-related predictions:

Week 0

Saturday, August 26, 2023

#6-Notre Dame (-20) vs. #90-Navy (TP=52 Odds=.792) @ Dublin, Ireland

Week 1

Friday, September 1, 2023

#41-Louisville (-8) vs. #95-Georgia Tech (TP=52 Odds=.628) @ Atlanta, GA

Saturday, September 2, 2023

#9-Tennessee (-21) vs. #96-Virginia (TP=57 Odds=.786) @ Nashville, TN
#33-N.C. State (-16.5) @ #124-Connecticut (TP=50 Odds=.757)
#49-N. Carolina (-0.5) vs. #50-S. Carolina (TP=59 Odds=.506) @ Charlotte
#68-Miami (Florida) (-7.5) vs. #93-Miami (Ohio) (TP=50 Odds=.622)
#99-Boston College (-6.5) vs. #114-Northern Illinois (TP=54 Odds=.599)
#100-Virginia Tech (-8) vs. #120-Old Dominion (TP=49 Odds=.635)

Sunday, September 3, 2023

#8-Louisiana State (-5.5) vs. #36-Florida State (TP=56 Odds=.578) @ Orlando, FL

JHowell's Early Preseason 2023 Computer Ranking (RX; HM)

JHowell's Early Preseason 2023 Computer Ranking

From JHowell.net:

2023 NCAA FBS Football Power Ratings

Pre-season 2023 power ratings are listed below. Home field advantage is expected to be .535 and the root for determining point spreads is expected to be 1.676. The average home field advantage equates to 2.33 points.
KEY: PR=Power Rating, PS=Pre-season power rating, SOS=strength of schedule, YTD=year-to-date strength of schedule, PF=points scored per game, PA=points allowed per game, Left=number of games remaining
Here are the Top 50 teams as ranked by JHowell.net:

RankTeamPR/PSSOSConf.
1Georgia0.9330.567SEC
2Alabama0.880.663SEC
3Ohio State0.8570.662Big Ten
4Clemson0.7960.571ACC
5Michigan0.7860.561Big Ten
6Notre Dame0.7640.629Indy
7Penn State0.7450.505Big Ten
8L.S.U.0.7290.695SEC
9Tennessee0.7260.634SEC
10Cincinnati0.7220.624Big 12
11Oklahoma0.7040.687Big 12
12T.C.U.0.7010.636Big 12
13Texas0.6980.73Big 12
14Kansas St.0.6960.658Big 12
15Utah0.6910.502Pac 12
16Oregon0.6880.432Pac 12
17Oklahoma St.0.6840.617Big 12
18Ole Miss0.6830.669SEC
19Iowa0.6740.558Big Ten
20Miss. State0.6720.623SEC
21Pittsburgh0.6630.588ACC
22Florida0.6630.673SEC
23Boise State0.6550.401MWC
24B.Y.U.0.6530.613Big 12
25U.C.F.0.6520.661Big 12
RankTeamPR/PSSOSConf.
26Wake Forest0.6510.529ACC
27Wisconsin0.6460.561Big Ten
28Kentucky0.6460.647SEC
29Minnesota0.6430.695Big Ten
30Texas A&M0.6420.63SEC
31U.T.S.A.0.6390.458American
32Baylor0.6390.652Big 12
33N.C. State0.6390.556ACC
34Auburn0.6310.597SEC
35Air Force0.630.249MWC
36Florida State0.630.573ACC
37Louisiana0.6290.343Sun Belt
38Tulane0.6280.452American
39U.S.C.0.6270.501Pac 12
40Houston0.6190.69Big 12
41Louisville0.6190.493ACC
42Coastal Car.0.6170.31Sun Belt
43Arkansas0.6170.652SEC
44Marshall0.6140.395Sun Belt
45Troy0.6120.386Sun Belt
46Texas Tech0.6110.672Big 12
47Appalachian St.0.610.377Sun Belt
48Fresno State0.610.357MWC
49North Carolina0.610.571ACC
50South Carolina0.6040.661SEC
Bad News: only one ACC team in the top 20 (Clemson)
Good News: six more in the top 50.
Bad News: that leaves seven teams below 50th.

ACC Teams below 50th:
RankTeamPR/PSSOSConf.
68Miami (Florida)0.5460.507ACC
72Syracuse0.5320.561ACC
75Duke0.4930.608ACC
95Georgia Tech0.4550.62ACC
96Virginia0.4540.496ACC
99Boston College0.4430.416ACC
100Virginia Tech0.4410.579ACC

Other

FrancisTang_SSW_SchumerMicronPresser_04102023_95-scaled.jpg

The Northeast University Semiconductor Network aims to enhance curriculums by increasing technical training, experiential learning programs and research opportunities for students. The network was announced on Monday’s press conference in the National Veterans Resource Center.

Syracuse University to join Northeast University Semiconductor Network (DO; Luther)

Syracuse University will join 20 other higher education institutions in forming the Northeast University Semiconductor Network to encourage the industry’s workforce growth ahead of Micron’s up-to-$100 billion investment to build a plant near Syracuse.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer announced the network during a Monday press conference at the National Veterans Resource Center, alongside college and university presidents from across New York state, local leaders and Micron executives. The efforts align with Schumer’s long-standing effort to bring technology jobs to the state via the August CHIPS & Science Act, which designated $200 billion for semiconductor workforce training.

The partnership, fostered by Micron and the National Science Foundation, aims to enhance curriculums by increasing technical training, experiential learning programs and research opportunities for students, according to Micron’s Monday press release. SU will now join nearby institutions in its effort to fulfill those goals, including Cornell University, University of Rochester and Rochester Institute of Technology.

Syverud previously announced three direct partnerships between SU and Micron in October 2022 during President Joe Biden’s visit to address Micron’s announcement of the new plant earlier that month. Micron will partner with the College of Professional Studies through the Future-Ready Workplace Innovation Consortium, the D’Aniello Institute for Veteran and Military Families and help the university recruit new professors for research and experiential learning.

A fast-growing housing trend is coming to a Syracuse suburb. Will it help the shortage? (PS; $; Doran)

An Onondaga County developer plans to build 84 homes in Minoa, and he doesn’t plan to sell any of them.

Instead, the builder will keep the houses and rent them. It would be the area’s first build-to-rent community.

Brolex Properties plans to break ground on the first house in the next couple of months, developer Brandon Jacobson said. The project will add 84 single-family homes to an established residential development known as Minoa Farms.

The expansion at Minoa Farms represents an interesting innovation to address Central New York’s housing shortage that threatens to get worse.

Micron Technology is promising to bring thousands of workers to the region, where already shortages are feeding rising home prices and apartment rents.

Will these build-to-rent houses help or hurt? So far, local housing experts are optimistic. More housing of any kind will help, they say.

“This is something that is needed,” said Karen Schroeder, speaking for Home HeadQuarters, a Syracuse-based non-profit housing and community development organization. “The more varied the housing options, the better.”

The build-to-rent model is a growing strategy elsewhere, especially in places like Texas and the Southwest.

Jacobson and other proponents say there’s a market for people who want a house, garage and yard without the worries of home maintenance and a down payment. That could include a range of renters, from young professionals to multi-generational families to seniors, local officials said.

Typically, homes are owned and apartments are rented. Breaking that mold is a move in the right direction, said Alex Lawson, home policy coordinator at CNY Fair Housing. That’s even more true if that diversification is in the same neighborhood, as this one is, he said.

Attachments

• 1681297590922.png
    1681297590922.png
    73 bytes · Views: 32