Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
First+Shot.png
Welcome
to Patriots Day!

Patriots' Day is a holiday commemorating the battles of Lexington and Concord, which took place on April 19, 1775. The shots fired at these two cities on the outskirts of Boston were the first shots of the American Revolution. Following the war, Lexington Day and Concord Day began being celebrated in their respective cities. The cities later petitioned Massachusetts Governor Frederic Greenhalge to create a state commemoration. He created Patriots' Day, which replaced Fast Day. It was first celebrated on April 19, 1894. The new holiday also originally commemorated the anniversary of the Baltimore riot of 1861, where some of the first bloodshed of the Civil War took place, and four members of the Massachusetts militia died. In 1938, the Massachusetts legislature passed a bill making the battles of Lexington and Concord the sole focus of the day.

SU News

Former SU lineman Matthew Bergeron eyes long NFL career (spectrumocalnews; MacWilliam)

The NFL Draft is fast approaching, and Syracuse University offensive lineman Matthew Bergeron is someone whose draft stock has been on the rise since the season ended.

Bergeron says he knows his name is becoming familiar with NFL teams. He has a chance to become the highest-drafted player since Justin Pugh was taken in the first round by the New York Giants in 2013.

What You Need To Know

• Matthew Bergeron has the chance to be the highest drafted SU player since Justin Pugh in 2013
  • He brings a versatile skillset to the next level that he says can benefit any team
  • He also hopes to serve as an inspiration to people back home in Quebec and show them that anything is possible

“I think I’m in the mix," Bergeron said. "I think I can hear my name called anytime between day one and day two. I’ll just be next to my phone pacing and waiting. I think my name can come up anytime.”

But at the end of the day, just a shot in the NFL is all he says he wants.

“I don’t put points on when or where I get drafted," Bergeron said. "I know it’s just a starting point. My goal is to have a long career in the NFL. I don’t care if I’m drafted first round or seventh round. I want to play in the NFL for a long time.”

His skill set is a perfect fit at the next level. While his ideal position is at left tackle, he’s a versatile lineman that can play any position.

Syracuse football: Dino Babers gives some spring practice shout-outs (TNIAAM; Wall)

The Syracuse Orange football program keeps a lot under wraps in practice but as we approach the final week of spring ball, there are some items of note.

Dino Babers joined the ACCPM crew to talk about a number of topics and he was asked to share some players who’ve caught his eye in practice.

Babers said that clear front-runners have emerged in the kicking game, but he wouldn’t name the players (not sure why this has to be a secret). Since Syracuse is replacing Andre Szmyt and trying to rebound from a woeful punt game this could be good news. We’ll have to see during next Friday’s spring game who these players are that are feet and toes ahead of the competition.

Going through the rest of the position groups, Babers shouted out LeQuint Allen, Oronde Gadsden, DeMarcus Adams, Isaiah Jones, and Trebor Pena among the backs and receivers. He noted that Enrique Cruz and Kalan Ellis were standing out on the offensive line and he said his defensive line and young linebackers had caught his eye.

What’s going on with Syracuse football’s special teams? (mailbag) (PS; $; Leiker)

Syracuse football is one week away from its 2023 spring game.

With only three practices plus the game remaining in the 15-session spring, most of what will be revealed about the team this spring — who’s won certain position battles, new faces who are excelling, et cetera — has already been revealed.

Questions for future mailbags can be directed to eleiker@syracuse.com or my Twitter DMs @emleiker.

Q: How are the special teams units looking – particularly the kicking game?

@MFischerKellen

Emily:
While we’ve seen some special teams drills, we haven’t seen a lot of live-action stuff during media viewing periods. So I can’t really comment on how things like punt or kick return are going besides saying that Trebor Pena will certainly be on the return team again.

The kicking, though, I can give ya slightly more on.

Let’s start with punting, as I know people had some particularly strong opinions about that phase of the game last year.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...sts-interest-for-elite-2024-wr-jason-robinson (SI; McAllister)

Long Beach (CA) Poly wide receiver Jason Robinson is one of the best at his position in the 2024 class. He is rated a four star prospect by Rivals and is a four star per the 247Sports composite ranking. The 5-11, 160 pound wideout was on the Syracuse campus recently for a visit.

"Man I loved it," Robinson said. "Saw the whole campus, the Dome stadium, watched practice, chalk talk with coach Babers, coach Johnson and coach Maddox."

Being able to sit down and speak extensively with members of the Orange coaching staff was one of the top highlights of the trip.

"The meetings went real well," Robinson said. "Very positive. Lots of info. Was very excited I was there. They wanted me to know that Syracuse wants me there and that coach Johnson and Babers talk about me a lot. What they see me doing in the offense. Also talked about making wise decisions that will be with me for the rest of my life."

2025 QB Arnaud Dugas details Syracuse visit (247sports.com; Finneral)

2025 Canadian quarterback Arnaud Dugas recently took a visit to Syracuse to learn more about the football program. Dugas had a great time getting a close look at the Orange.

“I was really impressed with the Syracuse football program,” Dugas said. “Just from the energy of one practice, I could tell that football was great there. The coaches and the players all seem like great guys.”

Dugas played at College Laval in Québec this past season, but plans to transfer to Thayer Academy in Braintree, Massachusetts. The six-foot-three, 170-pound quarterback was particularly impressed with the Syracuse coaching staff.

“The coaching staff looks really nice,” Dugas said. “They were really welcoming and kind. They also looked like they could teach me a lot.”

Rookie-Profile-Card----Sean-Tucker.jpg

Sean Tucker Dynasty Fantasy Football Value | Draft Sharks (draftsharks.com; Herms)

Sean Tucker, RB, Syracuse

Height:
5’9
Weight: 207
BMI: 30.6
NFL Draft Projection: Round 4-5NFL Draft Prospects | Breaking down the Draft Sharks Rookie Model
Draft Sharks Model Score: 7.56
Analytics Score: 0.57
Film Score: 0.43
Production Score: 0.40
Player Comp: Chris Thompson

Sean Tucker Dynasty Fantasy Football Value

Tucker is a small-yet-thick back that plays football like a track runner.

He's unlikely to ever be a workhorse in the NFL. But Tucker can be a big-play complement in the right situation.

Take a flier on him in your rookie drafts and tuck him away on your taxi squad. The results may surprise you.

Tucker's Athletic Measurements Are a Mystery

An undisclosed injury kept the Syracuse back from participating in drills at the NFL Combine. He didn't partake in the school pro day either.

All we have to go on is the private workout video Tucker posted on Twitter.

How reliable is this video? Your guess is as good as mine.

That leaves portions of his profile inconclusive. Fantasy managers will have to rely on watching film, extrapolating his track times, and using imagination when evaluating Tucker, unfortunately.

Sean Tucker Dynasty Values

Our Dynasty Draft War Room assigns dynamic player values based on your league’s specific settings. These values range from 100 to 0, with 100 being the most valuable player in your league and 0 being the worst rostered player. Use these values to compare players at the same position and across positions for help with draft, trade and add/drop decisions.

ACC News

Takeaways from UNC Football's 2023 Spring Game - Chapelboro.com (chapelboro.com; Koh)

The UNC football team capped off its spring practice season with its annual Spring Game in Kenan Stadium Saturday afternoon. Here are some takeaways from the game as the team breaks for the summer:

The RB and WR rooms are both deep

Carolina has an abundance of riches — maybe too much of one — at both running back and wide receiver. Running back in particular will be a position to watch. Elijah Green, Omarion Hampton and British Brooks look to be at the top of the heap so far (head coach Mack Brown has said he wants a “2+1” scenario in the backfield), with several competitors for those three spots. A name to watch is George Pettaway: the highly-touted recruit and rising sophomore came in with Hampton looking to create another fearsome rushing duo a la Javonte Williams and Michael Carter. That hasn’t panned out so far, and Pettaway had to sit out the Spring Game due to an injury. He’s a potential transfer portal entrant if he can’t get on the field.

Meanwhile, the pass-catchers are there for quarterback Drake Maye to have another outstanding season. Josh Downs and Antoine Green may be gone, but transfers Tez Walker (Kent State) and Nate McCollum (Georgia Tech) seem poised to be favorite targets in 2023. Each caught a touchdown pass from Maye in the Spring Game, with Gavin Blackwell, Kobe Paysour and Kamari Morales each catching passes as well. Not to mention J.J. Jones, who has been sitting out the entire spring due to offseason surgery.

“We’ve got a good group around me,” said Maye. “I’ve just got to do my job and get them the ball.”

North Carolina head coach Mack Brown says college football ‘will never see amateurism again’ (foxnews.c om; Morgan)

Name, image and likeness has completely changed collegiate sports as student-athletes can now make money while competing in college, flipping the recruiting world on its head.

North Carolina head coach Mack Brown is not a fan.

"We’re the NFL. We’re the mini-NFL," Brown told Sports Illustrated "It’s just like the NFL. That’s where we are headed. We will never see amateurism again. It’s gone. I hate it. I thought that’s who we are, what college football is.

"Now, we are a farm league for the NFL with many NFL programs. We are headed toward an NFL model."

Brown, who at 71 years old is the oldest coach in the FBS, is preparing to enter his fifth season as head coach at North Carolina.

He’s been a college football head coach since 1985, including a gap in which he didn't coach 2013-2019.

Brown has seen it all throughout his time in the game, and he’s frustrated with the current NIL model that has created a "pay-for-play" atmosphere in recruiting.

Greg: UNC's Spring of Cautious Optimism (247sports.com; Barnes)

North Carolina concludes its spring practice season with its annual Spring Game at Kenan Stadium on Saturday afternoon. The hype train that pulled into Chapel Hill two years ago, four months before a preseason Top-10 ranking materialized, is nonexistent this year despite the Tar Heels coming off their first nine-win season and ACC Championship Game appearance in seven years.

That’s a good thing for a football program that has experienced plenty of highs and lows in the few short years since Mack Brown returned in November 2018. The UNC Hall of Fame head coach is known for being an offseason media king, yet he’s taken a practical low-key approach this spring in his multiple media availabilities. Program-building is not a linear endeavor, especially not at a program such as UNC, which makes pairing offseason talking points with in-season production a challenge.

It’s understandable to steer clear of too many headlines given how the 2022 season played out. The Tar Heels were whispered about as potential darkhorse College Football Playoff contenders after toppling Wake Forest in Winston-Salem in early November to move to 9-1 (6-0 ACC) and land at No. 13 in the CFP rankings.

https://www.si.com/college/georgiat...es-in-georgia-tech-white-and-gold-spring-game (SI; Caudell)

The day finally arrived for Georgia Tech's White and Gold Spring Game.

Brent Key was going to be leading his team out for his first spring game since being named the full-time head coach after last season and there was plenty to look forward too.

There is going to be no shortage of intrigue on the field today for the Yellow Jackets. All eyes are going to be on the quarterback battle today and to see if any of them can possibly separate from each other and get ahead in the competition today.

The wide receiver position is also one to watch today, along with cornerback, offensive line, and edge rusher. Key is going to be looking for leaders to emerge from today as the Yellow Jackets head into the summer and get closer to the fall and the season opener against Louisville on Friday, Sept. 1st.

The format was two 12-minute quarters with standard clock operations in the first half. Following a brief halftime, the second half will include two quarters with a running clock.

1st Quarter

Zach Pyron was the first quarterback on the field today and he looked poised in his first drive of the game. He operated out of the shotgun for much of the drive and alongside him at running back was Dontae Smith. Malik Rutherford and Christian Leary were used as the main two receivers on the drive, with D.J. Moore getting reps as well. Pyron led a methodical drive and he target Leary plenty on the first drive. There were a lot of two tight end sets and UGA transfer Brett Seither was splitting out wide often.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article274314300.html (miamiherald.com; Miller Degnan)

Spring has officially ended on the football field.

Now comes the long offseason leading to the University of Miami’s home opener on Friday, Sept. 1 against Miami of Ohio. Players must continue to stay in shape, strengthen their bodies, master their new playbooks and practice on their own time. Cristobal said coaches have been teaching the players “to run their own practices so their player-led practices are very effective and productive come the summer time.”

Hurricanes fans got their first glimpse of the new-look Hurricanes on Friday night at DRV PNK Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, where they witnessed the freshmen and transfers they’ve been hearing about, and veterans they hope have upped their games to improve last season’s 5-7 record.

“I wish we had a couple more weeks of practice,’’ Cristobal said, “because we need to. This team has a lot of young guys in a lot of critical spots. And they’re getting better. It’s like, ‘Man, one more week.’ you wish you had more.”

Now what?

TRANSFER PORTAL

The NCAA transfer portal opened Saturday and runs through April 30.

Former UM tight end Kahlil Brantley, who did not participate in spring ball, officially entered the portal on Saturday.

The portal is the clearinghouse for players who declare they intend to transfer, and allows players to immediately take advantage of the NCAA’s one-time transfer rule — meaning they wouldn’t have to sit out a season before playing with a new program. The key is for athletes to get their names in the portal, because once they notify their schools, they can transfer at any time, including beyond the April 30 date. Keep in mind that schools do not have to take back players once they enter their name in the portal, but can do so if the coach is fine with it.

Graduate transfers, however, can enter the portal year-round.

Miami had 20 players enter the portal the last time it opened and added eight transfers. This time around it should be quieter, though we’ll see soon enough. The Canes are seeking to add depth to their receiving corps, as well as defensive line (tackle) and defensive backs. Cristobal said UM would explore adding a quarterback, as only three are on scholarship; as well as a running back (five on scholarship).

“It’s definitely important,’’ Van Dyke said of the portal. “You see your strengths and weaknesses in the spring and try to fill those spots when needed — not even if it’s weak, but depth wise. Getting some guys in here will definitely help us.’’

https://www.si.com/college/fsu/foot...case-recap-poitier-and-deloach-steal-the-show (SI; Mire)

The Florida State Seminoles kicked off their annual FSU Football Spring Showcase on Saturday in front of 33,107 eager fans wearing garnet and gold. It was a chance to showcase how the team has progressed in the offseason while putting some newcomers in the spotlight. It was a mix of team drills and individual drills for a team introducing 20 newcomers who made their debut for the first time inside Doak Campbell Stadium in front of a crowd. FSU also welcomed National Champions Charlie Ward, Henri Crockett, PJ Williams and Karlos Williams as guest coaches.

During the showcase, FSU revealed a fresh new look during the showcase for the upcoming 2023 season.

Clemson looks to new coordinator Riley to fire up offense (apnews.com; Iacobelli)

Clemson quarterback Cade Klubnik loves the repetition and simplicity of Garrett Riley’s first spring as offensive coordinator.

Riley’s message is it’s more important to master a handful of plays he’s shown them this spring than overload players with new concepts and terminology.

“More than anything, lets get good at a few things and let’s grow from there,” Riley said. “Let’s dumb it down, start fresh. Come away with an identity, and that will grow. Don’t get bored with doing things over and over and over again.”

So far, so good, according to Klubnik, the sophomore who took over as starter late last season and will have full control of the attack this fall.

“I love the offense,” Klubnik said. “It’s efficient and productive. Doing less, doing it better and I’m loving it.”

Since 2011, the Tigers have been among college football’s most productive offenses. They posted seven seasons where they averaged 500 or more yards a game between, led by ACC players of the year in quarterbacks Tajh Boyd, Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence.

Defensive observations from Florida State’s Spring Showcase (tomahawknation.com; Scarpio)
Florida State football was back at Doak Campbell Stadium, participating in their annual “Spring Showcase.” Head coach Mike Norvell has been known to use this time to run practice drills and situational runs, instead of a scrimmage between split parties. Players are padded, but full contact with them getting taken down to the deck isn’t the norm. This serves as a chance for coaches to view how their depth plays through different levels, and for fans to get an offseason update on the state of the team.

The Seminoles’ defensive line was the most dominant group on the field, by far. There’s an elevated sense of speed, urgency, and strength within the d-line that was previewed in 2022 but is now on full display.

Top defensive standouts from FSU’s Spring Showcase

Defensive end Jared Verse

The projected 2023 first-round pick set the tone for the Seminoles. He either bull-rushed his way straight to the quarterback and found an open pocket in the offensive line, or drew in the double team to give the rest of the line clear opportunities. Verse looked like the most dominant player in garnet and gold.

Defensive end Patrick Payton

The soon-to-be redshirt sophomore has bursted onto the scene and the hype train continues to roll. He seems to be growing every single day and that’s being paired with his speed and quick twitch off the line. When Verse is taking the offense’s attention, Payton is busy putting the quarterback on his backside. He’s also been able to use his lengthy arms to prepare for the run game and slow down threats through the middle.

Defensive tackle Joshua Farmer

Farmer was a menace inside the middle of the field today, along with his old high school teammate Darrell Jackson. They used their sheer power to get through the smaller guards on the offensive line and both were able to use their hands to break through the block. If they can continue to build their IQ with experience and reps, they’ll be making plays regularly on Saturdays.

Linebacker Kalen DeLoach

Veteran linebacker Kalen DeLoach flew around the entire field today, acting as a nagging bug around the quarterback's ear. DeLoach secured an interception that would have been a pick-six in a real game setting and also grabbed a fumble recovery. He’s the most versatile linebacker on the roster and that was clearly shown by his performance today.

Other

5OFXF4CYDBFFNDABOA2SDAOGG4.jpg

Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy visits Mario & Salvo's pizzeria in Syracuse, N.Y., as part of his "One Bite Pizza Reviews" series. (Video still)

Barstool’s Dave Portnoy will raise a glass at Tipperary Hill tavern during ‘Best Bar Town’ pub crawl (PS; Miller)

Now that Syracuse has been crowned the “Best Bar Town” in America, the time has come for the guy behind the award to check out what we have to offer.

Dave Portnoy, the founder of Barstool Sports, will be in town Friday to make good on his promise to host a pub crawl. He is expected to visit bars near the Syracuse University campus such as Orange Crate, Faegan’s, Lucy Blu Bar & Club and Hungry Chuck’s.

But first, he’ll be stopping at Coleman’s Authentic Irish Pub in the city’s Tipperary Hill neighborhood. Dennis Coleman, the owner, said Portnoy will meeting and greeting patrons at Coleman’s from 3 to 4 p.m. Friday. The event is sponsored by High Noon hard seltzer.

“You can’t really do a pub crawl in Syracuse and not come to Coleman’s,” Coleman said Saturday after finding out his pub was among the stops. “We were more than happy to help out.”

While Coleman’s is 3½ miles from the SU, it certainly gets its share of business from the campus. It’s a frequent stop among students and their parents during Parent’s Weekend, on the weekly Thursday night Block Party and the annual Green Beer Sunday parade that kicks off the countdown to St. Patrick’s Day.

Barstool named Syracuse the “Best Bar Town” in America in an NCAA basketball tournament-style online competition among 64 towns across the United State. The winner of each bracket was chosen by total points from social media users who posted their town’s unique hashtag (#SyracuseBBT) on Twitter, TikTok or Instagram.

thumbnail_IMG-2999-2.jpg

Sean Kingston is coming to Syracuse, here’s who is bringing him (localsyr.com; Normoyle)

He may not be the most common name coming out of your mouth, but hey, everyone knows Sean Kingston, right?

Armory Square’s restaurant and club hybrid duo is bringing back a 2000’s classic, Sean Kingston.

If “Beautiful Girls” doesn’t ring a bell, maybe “Eenie Meenie” or “Fire Burning” will.

So how does Sean Kingston make his way to Syracuse? And when?

He’ll be here May 6, the weekend of Cinco De Mayo.

Margaritas and Margaritas After Dark has an itinerary of events planned, here is how they layout.

• Thursday, May 4: Buy One Get One Margaritas in their restaurant
  • Friday, May 5: Live band from 6 p.m. until 10 p.m.
  • Saturday, May 6: Sean Kingston at After Dark from 10:30 p.m. until 2 a.m.
  • Sunday, May 7: Brunch from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m.
Sebastian Ramirez, Marketing and Entertainment coordinator for Margaritas and Margaritas After Dark talked about how he wanted Kingston to be the reason people come out to Margaritas for their weekend of events.

“I really like Sean Kingston and I wanted to hear him sing ‘Beautiful Girls’ so I thought, ‘Let’s book him,’” said Ramirez.

And they did.

Last edited: