Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Nylon Stockings Day!

Each year on May 15th, we recognize the stylish variety and color available on National Nylon Stocking Day.

#NylonStockingDay

Many may not remember ever hearing the term “nylon stockings.” Varying in color, design, and transparency, a nylon stocking (also known as hose) is a close-fitting, variously elastic garment worn the same as socks or tights.

Stockings worn before the 1890s were made of woven cloth such as cotton, linen, wool, or silk. Before the 1920s, women’s stockings were worn for warmth. As hemlines of women’s dresses rose in the 1920s, women began to wear stockings over their exposed legs. These 1920s stockings were sheer, made first of silk or rayon, followed by nylon after 1940.

Chemical company DuPont’s introduction of nylon in 1939 began a high demand for stockings in the United States. As nylon stockings were inexpensive, durable, and shear, up to 4 million pairs would be purchased each day.

SU News

Tucker at Buccaneers rookie mini camp wearing No. 44 (PS; Leiker)

Sean Tucker is attending Tampa Bay Buccaneers rookie mini camp this weekend wearing a jersey number sure to make Syracuse football fans giddy.

The former Orange running back is sporting SU’s legendary No. 44, but he’s not actively participating in camp.

Instead, he’s in sweatpants and on the sideline similar to some of the last times he was seen publicly at the Pinstripe Bowl, which he opted out of, and SU’s Pro Day.

First look at #Bucs UDFA RB Sean Tucker who will be wearing No. 44 @CuseFootball pic.twitter.com/U6khlNYwr0
— JC Allen (@JCAllenNFL) May 13, 2023

Braden Davis is a Big Add (orangefizz.net; Griffin)

Right when we thought Syracuse’s quarterback room was solidifying itself, this bombshell drops earlier this week.

Ready for the next step! @CuseFootball pic.twitter.com/7ZitLcVGFf
— Braden Davis (@BradenDavis_5) May 11, 2023

Garrett Shrader and Carlos Del Rio-Wilson, you’ve got company. Braden Davis is a former 3-star recruit who was named the Gatorade Player of the Year in Delaware back in 2021. Even though The First State isn’t exactly a high-school football powerhouse, still an impressive accomplishment all the same. Davis takes his services to Central New York after spending 2022 at South Carolina, the same school LaNorris Sellers spurned the Orange for. Regardless of whether the two are related, that’s eyebrow-raising. That aside, Davis is a big get for Dino Babers and company.

Any time you add a quarterback who is 6-foot-5 and as mobile as Davis, how can you not get giddy? 247 Sports describes Davis as “athletic with escapability, good arm strength that will improve with maturity, and shows very good touch on intermediate and deep balls” among other traits. That should bode well if Davis is thrust into the fire at any point this season, considering Syracuse’s offensive line isn’t exactly golden without Matthew Bergeron. Davis certainly needs to put on weight if he’s going to succeed in the long run, but those traits are very positive.

Syracuse football lands commitment from transfer QB Braden Davis (TNIAAM; Ostrowski)

Syracuse Orange football is continuing the trend of signing transfer quarterbacks from the SEC, adding another high-profile player from the portal.

Braden Davis, formerly of the South Carolina Gamecocks, will join SU as the third scholarship QB on the roster. He replaces Justin Lamson, who left the program shortly after the end of spring camp.

Ready for the next step! @CuseFootball pic.twitter.com/7ZitLcVGFf
— Braden Davis (@BradenDavis_5) May 11, 2023

Davis, who carries all four seasons of eligibility after being redshirted in 2022, was the 2021 Gatorade Player of the Year in Delaware. He led Middletown to a DIAA Class 3A State Title in his senior season of high school and was rated the best QB prospect in the state by both ESPN and 247Sports.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/justin-lamson-commits-to-stanford (SI; McAllister)

Former Syracuse quarterback Justin Lamson has committed to Stanford as his transfer destination, he announced on Saturday. Lamson entered the portal at the end of April and found a new home in about two weeks. Originally from California, Lamson will now be much closer to home. The Orange recently added South Carolina transfer quarterback Braden Davis to its roster.

Lamson was competing with Carlos Del Rio-Wilson for the backup spot behind incumbent starter Garrett Shrader. Both Lamson and Del Rio-Wilson had strong moments during the spring game, and head coach Dino Babers seemed to indicate both were even. We do not know if this is related to his spot on the depth chart or not, but a lot of times playing time is a key factor.

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: Cuse Football Gets A QB In The Portal + Judah Mintz Draft Buzz on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Cuse Football Gets A QB In The Portal + Judah Mintz Draft Buzz

One week after de-committing from Syracuse, Syair Torrence is offered by Rutgers football (usatoday.com; Dyer)

One of the top athletes in New York received an offer from Rutgers football on Thursday night. Syair Torrence, a class of 2024 recruit, counts Rutgers as his second Big Ten offer.

The offer from Rutgers is the first to come in for Torrence since he de-committed from Syracuse in early February. He is ranked the fifth-best recruit in New York by 247Sports.

He is also the No. 82 wide receiver recruit in the nation in the 247Sports Composite. At 5-foot-11 and 195 pounds, Torrence is coming off a strong junior season for Christian Brothers Academy (Syracuse, N.Y.). where he showed his ability to be a playmaker.

He has good speed but his footwork and balance is what most stands out, allowing him to make quick turns and cuts once he gets the ball in his hands.

In late April, Torrence was offered by Michigan State. Two weeks later, he would re-open his commitment.

The standout wide receiver posted on social media about his Rutgers football offer.

ACC News

ACC Football: 5 incredibly early bold predictions for the 2023 season (fansided.com; Buhler)

ACC football fans only have to wait a few months before their favorite teams are back in action.

Although it may get overlooked by some of the other leagues, we could be in for a thrilling year when it comes to ACC football.

This has everything to do with Clemson still being a preeminent power in the conference, as well as the likes of Florida State, North Carolina and potentially Miami being on the rise. Not every team will have the year it was hoping for, but we have seen the ACC put forth some incredibly solid teams at the top-end of its league. As for the cellar dwellers, well, let’s just not talk about them…

Here are five way-too-early bold predictions that are absolutely coming true in the ACC this year.

ACC football: 5 way-too-early bold predictions for the 2023 college season

5. Miami fans are going to wonder if Mario Cristobal was an answered prayer

Miami Hurricanes fans aren’t going to like this, but it’s not going to be about U, or The U, this season. I thought Mario Cristobal’s first season back in Coral Gables was rather concerning. However, I am willing to understand how hard of a job it might be to turn this thing around. Unfortunately, this is probably going to be a situation where it will not pop until year three.

This is all about Cristobal being able to recruit at a level we became accustomed to at Oregon. He may have had Phil Knight money on his side in Eugene, but Miami has never been a place that has blown away recruits with its resources. While that could be changing, it is all about having the best players in South Florida staying home to play their college football, just like Cristobal did years ago.

I expect that Miami will go bowling this year, but the Canes will only be a middle-of-the-pack team in the ACC this season. That’s not the end of the world, but I would get how some fans would be losing patience. Some jobs are harder than others. Oregon has been largely self-sustaining since the Mike Bellotti years, while The U hasn’t been The U since Greg Olsen was there. Be patient, y’all.

There is no reason to run Cristobal out of town yet, but year three will be make-or-break for him.

4. Clemson does not reach the College Football Playoff for the third year in a row

I think this will be a really divisive issue in the ACC football landscape heading into next offseason. Dabo Swinney is already a college football legend, but we have to wonder if some of the Clemson Family will start to turn on him after the Tigers miss out on the College Football Playoff for the third year in a row. Cade Klubnik will play well, but he will be outmatched in some league games.

With teams like Florida State rising and Clemson not always asserting its dominance, the once vast gap the Tigers had on the rest of the 13 teams in the league may not be as wide anymore. Some of this may fall back on losing top assistants to Power Five jobs, but I think much of it will come back on Clemson not being interested in taking players from outside via the transfer portal.

It has always been different under Swinney, and for Clemson, it has worked out wonderfully. However, the times are changing in college athletics. Clemson’s mom and pop approach to being a college football power may not be sustainable long-term. I don’t think they’re going to fade into irrelevancy because kids remember this program being elite. It may be a challenging year, though…

Clemson will still win around 10 or so games and could be in the mix to reach the New Year’s Six.

3. Drake Maye is a top-five NFL Draft pick, but does not win the Heisman Trophy

Let’s be real. The litmus test for how good ACC football will be this year is 100 percent the North Carolina Tar Heels. We like the ageless Mack Brown as their head coach, but we love what he has under center in future NFL franchise quarterback Drake Maye. The hype surrounding him entering his redshirt sophomore season may be a tad outrageous, but he could be the next Aaron Rodgers.

Overall, I would suspect the Tar Heels will be a top-25 team throughout the season like they were pretty much a year ago. They are going to win around nine or 10 games, but I don’t think it’s going to be enough to keep Clemson or Florida State from becoming conference champions. The good news is Maye will be putting up numbers. The bad news is he is not winning the Heisman Trophy.

Oh, he’ll be in New York as one of the five finalists, and probably one of four quarterbacks, if we’re being totally honest. It will be a huge moment for Brown, Maye and the rest of the UNC program. However, he is going to finish third or fourth in Heisman voting and be his draft class’ version of C.J. Stroud. There is nothing wrong with that, as Maye will also be a top-five pick in the NFL Draft.

The opportunity is going to be too good for him to pass up being a top-five pick come next spring.

2. Mike Elko will be on the shortlist for major Power Five gigs outside of Duke

This comes as quite the shock, I know. What if I told you Duke, of all places, found itself a rockstar head coach? We knew that Mike Elko was a tremendous defensive coordinator at Texas A&M, but he might have actually been the straw that stirred the drink in College Station. Just look at his Blue Devils, and then look at Jimbo Fisher’s Aggies… Don’t tell me you don’t believe in correlations, man!

I don’t know if Duke is winning nine games again, it wouldn’t shock me if Elko is getting a most sacred Mayo bath in Charlotte for all of the sickos out there to see. It also wouldn’t shock me if Elko’s name comes up for one of the few major Power Five openings across the country. The right job would have to present itself obviously, but he could replace Mark Stoops at Kentucky if he left.

While we all remember how his predecessor David Cutcliffe made Duke football interesting in the 2010s, there is a chance Elko could be like Steve Spurrier. I’m not saying he’ll have the sayings of the Head Ball Coach, but at 45-years-old, Elko could be destined for something far greater than Durham, North Carolina. His first year at Duke was a stupendous success, so I expect great things.

Elko may not leave after year two, but come year three, he could be on everyone’s hiring wishlist.

1. Jordan Travis is the Heisman runner-up, as Florida State is all the way back

The thing I feel the most confident about in the ACC is this: Florida State ain’t going away. The Seminoles will be here to stay under Mike Norvell, who has done a remarkable job of turning this thing around, whether or not anyone really wanted him to. His success in Tallahassee may have prevented Deion Sanders an opportunity to come home, but Norvell will win championships now.

With Jordan Travis playing as well as Max Duggan did for TCU this past year, Florida State will either make the College Football Playoff or will be in the mix to make it until the final week of the season. Travis may not be the fourth Seminoles quarterback to win the Heisman Trophy, but he will finish as national runner-up, edging out none other than UNC star quarterback Drake Maye.

Including their bowl game, the Seminoles are going to win around 11 or 12 games. This will be a top-eight team in the country after the national title has been played. With Florida State back to what they were during the Jimbo Fisher/Jameis Winston years, it will help bring out the best in rival Clemson, who has gotten somewhat complacent and incredibly stubborn in recent seasons.

Without question, Florida State football will be back in a big way this season to everyone’s delight.

ACC FURIOUS at Clemson. Will FSU Football JOIN THEM? (youtube.com; video; Double Fries No Slaw)

ACC Meetings are coming this week and FSU Football + Clemson will have a HUGE focus on revenue when meeting with Commissioner Jim Phillips. We're going to keep you all updated on what happens but here's how the waves have ALREADY started!

Ranking every ACC football team's 2023 non-conference schedule: Where does Clemson rank? (greenvilleonline.com; Keepfer)

ACC football teams will play 25 non-conference games against Power 5 opponents during the 2023 season, including six games against “scheduling partner” Notre Dame.

Clemson football hosts the Fighting Irish on Nov. 4, marking the fifth game between the teams in the last six years, but the first at Clemson since 2015. The Tigers round out their non-league schedule with games against South Carolina, Florida Atlantic and FCS foe Charleston Southern.

Each ACC team will play four non-conference opponents in 2023 and 13 of the 14 league teams will play an FCS opponent.

ACC teams also will play 11 games against teams ranked in last season’s final AFCA Coaches Poll.

Here’s how the ACC non-conference schedules stack up, from easiest to most challenging:

14. Miami

The Hurricanes will not face a single opponent that posted a winning record in 2022. Enough said. Opponents: Miami, Ohio (6-7), Texas A&M (5-7), Temple (3-9), Bethune-Cookman (2-9)

13. Boston College

BC is the only team in the league that won’t face a Power 5 team in non-conference play, but the Eagles best beware of Holy Cross, an FCS playoff quarterfinalist last year. Opponents: Holy Cross (12-1), Army (6-6), UConn (6-7), Northern Illinois (3-9)

12. Duke

Duke was a big surprise last season, winning nine games, and with their toughest non-conference test of 2023 a home game against Notre Dame, the Blue Devils could be on the road to nine wins again. Opponents: Notre Dame (9-4), UConn (6-7), Lafayette (4-7), Northwestern (1-11)

11. Syracuse

Syracuse jumped out of the gate 6-0 in 2023 before running into Clemson; this non-conference slate could have the Orange at 4-0 before hosting (you guessed it) Clemson. Opponents: Purdue (8-6), Army (6-6), Western Michigan (5-7), Colgate (3-8)

10. Wake Forest

Elon, Vanderbilt and Old Dominion should provide the Demon Deacons with a 3-0 start for a third straight year. Opponents: Notre Dame (9-4), Elon (8-4), Vanderbilt (5-7), Old Dominion (3-9)

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article275225141.html (thestate.com; Fowler)

To some supporters, it’s “weighted distribution.” To the league, it’s an “alternative” revenue distribution model. To most dissenters, it is what it is on its face: “Unequal.”

Quibbles about names aside, this much is clear: When the ACC’s athletic directors, football coaches and basketball coaches convene in Florida next week for spring meetings, they’re not going to just glaze over the topic with commissioner Jim Phillips.

“That’ll be a big topic with a lot of prep work leading into it,” Clemson athletic director Graham Neff said. “I expect that we’ll take a lot of time on it.”

And that will happen with Neff as a key spokesman.

As the ACC faces the reality of realignment and growing financial gaps with other conferences, Neff, Clemson’s second-year athletic director, has emerged as one of the top proponents of a new model that would dramatically overhaul its revenue distribution structure.

The ACC currently distributes annual league-wide profits equally among its 14 member schools, with Notre Dame, a full-time member in every sport but football, getting a reduced share.

KFordRatings 2023 ACC Previews (RX; HM)

KFordRatings 2023 ACC Previews

Kelly Ford has completed his preseason projections for all 15 ACC schools...

BC

So many Boston College fans misunderstanding this graphic. I’m not saying BC has a 9.8% chance to go undefeated. I’m saying *the average top 25 team* (which BC obviously is not) would have a 9.8% chance to go undefeated against BC’s schedule.

I’m projecting 5-7 or 6-6 for BC https://t.co/3MvIpnEwza pic.twitter.com/8HbwBjijVU
— Kelley Ford (@KFordRatings) May 11, 2023
Projected OOC Losses: none (possibly @Army)

Clemson

Clemson was a truly elite program from 2015-2020. But the numbers suggest the Tigers have slipped recently. I’m curious to see if they can return to the top tier in 2023 https://t.co/Asw1Lyw6Bw pic.twitter.com/46BY1cP4hq
Projected OOC Losses: possibly none, or maybe Notre Dame or @S. Carolina

Florida State

Projected OOC Losses: LSU plus possibly @Florida

Duke

Projected OOC Losses: Notre Dame

GT

Projected OOC Losses: Ole Miss, Georgia

Louisville

Projected OOC Losses: Notre Dame and Kentucky

Miami

Projected OOC Losses: Texas A&M (maybe one of Miami or Temple)

UNC

Projected OOC Losses: one of S. Carolina or Minnesota

NC State

Projected OOC Losses: Notre Dame

Notre Dame

Projected ACC Losses: Clemson, plus one of @NC State or @Louisville

Pitt

65% chance Pitt hits the over at 6.5! 7-5, 8-4 and 6-6, in order, are the most likely records. As of now, protecting as underdogs in only 2, maybe 3 games this year! https://t.co/DStGF5PORF pic.twitter.com/pWoGcdNTdZ
Projected OOC Losses: @Notre Dame plus one of Cincinnati or west Virginia

Syracuse

Projected OOC Losses: @Purdue

Links, News and Rumors 2023 May 12th (RX; HM)

Links, News and Rumors 2023 May 12th

From SaturdayBlitz: 5 transfer portal quarterbacks that’ll have biggest impact in 2023

• DJ Uiagalelei, Clemson to Oregon State
  • Jeff Sims, Georgia Tech to Nebraska
  • Tanner Mordecai, SMU to Wisconsin
  • Devin Leary, NC State to Kentucky
  • Sam Hartman, Wake Forest to Notre Dame
Normally I'll show the comments for ACC schools and/or players in articles like the one linked above, but I felt like 4/5ths wasn't exactly "fair use". So if you want to read about them, click the link!

ACC FB Tweets 2023 May 14th (RX; HM)

ACC FB Tweets 2023 May 14th

Virginia Tech NIL collective launches digital TV network:

This is a novel move by an #NIL collective.

Virginia Tech collective @Triumph_NIL has launched its own digital network.

Fans and supporters will have access to exclusive content from athletes, livestreams, meet-and-greets, shout-out videos, and more.Triumph NIL Launches Athlete-Centric NIL Portal, Acquires Commonwealth NIL
— Mit Winter (@WinterSportsLaw) May 11, 2023
If it proves to be a recruiting advantage, everyone will eventually copy it. Except maybe Maryland...
Maryland tried to launch their own streaming service. The Big Ten had their lawyers give them a call. Terps really need to learn how this legal stuff works... https://t.co/Oik0ke0TaK
— Hokie Mark (@mark_hokie) May 11, 2023

Meanwhile, this Hokie says Wake Forest doesn't rebuild - they reload!

It just hit me that Wake Forest has lost a key offensive player to the portal each offseason since it’s inception:
-Jamie Newman
-Kenneth Walker, III
-Christian Beal-Smith
-Sam Hartman

And yet, they have still won a ton of games. Impressive program despite obvious disadvantages
— Pete B. (@petebvt) May 12, 2023

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2023/05/international-football-games-2023.html (RX; HM)

International Football Games 2023

Big XII Commissioner Brett Yormark has made his plans known about how he will increase revenue for this conference. For the most part, I agree with them (see "Big XII Revenue Ideas" posted here on April 13th, 2023). One of those ideas was to launch "Big XII Mexico". It looks like he's really trying to make good on that idea, too.

Matt Brown commented on the Big XII plans in "The Big 12 playing games in Mexico is a good idea. And a bad idea." Here's a brief excerpt:

Mexico produced just 253 D-I athletes last year across all sports….and just nine college football and men’s basketball players (the highest number of athletes were in golf, tennis and swimming). And while Mexico did send nearly 15,000 students to the US to study…that number doesn’t even crack the top eight. It just isn’t a very big market.

Nothing personal, it's just not a great place to set up your hot dog vending cart.
The NFL has been evaluating international games for many years - including games in Mexico. What are the big boys doing in 2023?

2023 NFL INTERNATIONAL SERIES
Sunday, Oct. 1, 2023 (Week 4)
Atlanta Falcons vs. Jacksonville Jaguars
Wembley Stadium – London, England
9:30am ET | ESPN+

Sunday, Oct. 8, 2023 (Week 5)
Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Buffalo Bills
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium – London, England
9:30am ET | NFLN

Sunday, Oct. 15, 2023 (Week 6)
Baltimore Ravens vs. Tennessee Titans
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium – London, England

Sunday, Nov. 5, 2023 (Week 9)
Miami Dolphins vs. Kansas City Chiefs
Deutsch Bank Park – Frankfurt, Germany

Sunday, Nov. 12, 2023 (Week 10)
Indianapolis Colts vs. New England Patriots
Deutsch Bank Park – Frankfurt, Germany

That five international NFL games, all in Europe. Hmmm.

The ACC has played games in Europe before, and has more on the schedule. Could that be a better choice for going international? Does a hundred pounds of flour make a big, fluffy biscuit? You know it!

So far it seems like ACC teams (including that part-timer) have focused on Dublin, Ireland.

AER LINGUS CFB CLASSIC (Aviva Stadium – Dublin, Ireland)
  • Notre Dame vs. Navy, Aug. 26, 2023
  • Florida State vs. Georgia Tech, Aug. 24, 2024

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2023/05/expansion-candidates-by-population.html (RX; HM)

Expansion Candidates by Population Growth

If the ACC decides to expand again, one consideration will be demographics. Is the local area and state growing or shrinking? This matters because it affects how well the schools and it's athletics programs will be supported in the future. Here, then, is a table of U.S. states (and territories) sorted by growth, with ACC footprint states in light blue and potential expansion candidates in pink:

State NameSchool NamePop
Census
Pop
Estimate
Pop
Change
2000-22
Nevada1,998,250317777259%
UtahUtah2,233,183338080051%
Idaho1,293,957193903350%
TexasTCU, etc.20,851,0283002957244%
ArizonaArizona/St5,130,247735919743%
FloridaFSU, Miami15,982,5712224482339%
ColoradoColorado4,302,086583992636%
GeorgiaGT8,186,6531091287633%
North CarolinaUNC, etc.8,046,3461069897333%
WashingtonUW, Wazzu5,894,281778578632%
South CarolinaClemson4,012,023528263432%
Delaware783,559101839630%
Montana902,200112286724%
TennesseeMemphis5,689,427705133924%
OregonUO, OSU3,421,524424013724%
VirginiaVT, UVa7,079,057868361923%
North Dakota642,23777926121%
South Dakota754,85890982421%
Hawaii1,211,497144019619%
United StatesAverage281 Million333 Million18%
Wyoming493,78658138118%
District of Columbia572,08667180317%
Alaska626,93373358317%
Oklahoma3,450,451401980017%
Maryland5,296,647616466016%
Minnesota4,919,631571718416%
New Mexico1,819,017211334416%
CaliforniaStanford, Cal33,871,6533902934215%
Nebraska1,711,230196792315%
Alabama4,447,207507429614%
Arkansas2,673,293304563714%
New Hampshire1,235,807139523113%
IndianaNotre Dame6,080,827683303712%
KentuckyLouisville4,042,193451231012%
Missouri5,596,564617795710%
New Jersey8,414,764926169910%
MassachusettsBC6,349,364698197410%
Wisconsin5,363,757589253910%
Iowa2,926,53832005179%
KansasKU2,688,92529371509%
Maine1,274,77913853409%
ConnecticutUConn3,405,65036262056%
Vermont608,6136470646%
PennsylvaniaPitt12,280,548129720086%
Rhode Island1,048,25910937344%
New YorkSyracuse18,977,026196771514%

https://clutchpoints.com/alabama-football-news-tyler-harrell-miami-transfer (clutchpoints.com; Booth)

Tyler Harrell, who had just two receptions for 18 yards for Alabama football in the 2022 season, has transferred to Miami football, he announced on Twitter.

Harrell, a three-star recruit in the 2018 class by 247Sports, transferred to Alabama last April after he spent his first four seasons at Louisville. He has one season of eligibility remaining.

Harrell was expected to be a key addition to Alabama football, but he was limited with a sprained foot in preseason camp. That may have limited his role last season, as he recorded just one pass in two separate games.

“Guy’s got really good speed, which I think would help us on offense,” Alabama football coach Nick Saban said about Harrell in Nov. 2022, according to 247Sports’ Gaby Urrutia. “And I think we need to find ways to try and use him in certain situations that can be helpful to giving us some explosive vertical plays down the field, which there’s been a lack of recently. He’s making really good progress.”

The Crimson Tide have now had five receivers transfer out of the program this offseason: Harrell; Aaron Anderson (LSU); JoJo Earle (TCU); Traeshon Holden (Oregon); and Christian Leary (Georgia Tech). Alabama has had 18 players enter the portal, which is the same number it had last offseason.

Other

GQBPTOBYCFHFNNCTQJ6L5TEUEY.jpg

Spring Village, another CDS Housing development, which is in Cicero. The proposed development will have a different look than this one.

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2023/...eded-housing-proposed-in-syracuse-suburb.html (PS; $; Doran)

A developer that specializes in homes for people with disabilities is proposing to build 70 apartments, including many that would have wider doorways, wheelchair-accessible bathrooms and other features essential for people with physical or developmental disabilities.

The $20 million complex would also include a caseworker with an office on site to assist tenants. Cayuga Centers will provide a range of supportive services for residents with intellectual and developmental disabilities.

The units would rent below market value for qualified, lower-income renters, according to the Rochester-area developer behind the project.

If approved by the town, the complex would put 70 one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments on a five-acre parcel along the east side of Van Buren Road, across from Caserta Drive.

A similar proposal from the same developer, CDS Housing, was rejected by the Baldwinsville village board two years ago after concerns that putting 140 apartments near a wooded area along Phillips Street would prove too dense for that corner of the village, according to Baldwinsville’s mayor.

But in the town of Van Buren, a smaller version of the apartment complex is getting a welcoming reception.

“This project meets what the county is looking for, and we realize there is a need for affordable housing like this,” said Van Buren Town Supervisor Mary Frances Sabin, who stepped down from her elected position on Friday.