Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Image for Dinosaur Day

Welcome to Dinosaur Day!

Today we celebrate those large, extinct reptiles: dinosaurs. Scientists believe they first appeared about 245 million years ago, at the beginning of the Middle Triassic Epoch, and existed for about 180 million years, going extinct about 66 million years ago, at the end of the Cretaceous Period. The period when they lived is called the Mesozoic Era. During this time they went through many changes, and various species of dinosaurs replaced other species. Some dinosaurs were bipedal, meaning they walked on two legs, and some were quadrupedal, meaning they walked on all fours. Some switched back and forth. Some were covered with feathers, while others had what was almost like body armor. Some ran fast, and others were slow; most were herbivores, but some were carnivores. There were at least 700 species of dinosaurs, and possibly more than 1,000.

SU News

JUCO safety Jakobie Seabourn commits to Syracuse (PS; Leiker)

Jakobie Seabourn, a junior college prospect originally from Houston, Texas, announced his commitment to Syracuse football via Twitter on Monday.

Seabourn, a 6-foot-3, 205-pound defensive back, played at Santa Barbara City College. He made a visit to the Salt City this past weekend and announced his offer from the Orange on Saturday.

SU is the only Power 5 program to offer Seabourn. He had other Division I offers from Grambling State, Missouri State and Ball State among others, according to his Twitter.

All glory to God! Orange Nation let’s get to work! pic.twitter.com/RUp2HuZaXD
— Jakobie Seabourn (@Jakobie_5) May 15, 2023

Syracuse lands third commitment of day in JUCO defensive back Berry Buxton III (PS; Leiker)

Syracuse football landed its third new player for its 2023 class Monday afternoon in junior college prospect Berry Buxton III.

Buxton is a defensive back who played two seasons at Santa Barbara City College.

He joins offensive lineman David Wohlabaugh Jr. and Jakobie Seabourn who committed earlier in the day. Wohlabaugh came out of the transfer portal from Kentucky, and Seabourn played at Santa Barbara City College with Buxton.

VAQs riding together on their Official Visit @CuseFootball pic.twitter.com/xZoWVDuzkL
— SBCC Football (@SBCCFootball) May 14, 2023

For the Vaqueros, Buxton made 23 tackles, grabbed a fumble and tallied three interceptions in 11 games played. He’s 6-foot-2 and 195 pounds.

Buxton and Seabourn visited Syracuse together this past weekend.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/syracuse-lands-juco-db-berry-buxton (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football has landed a commitment from junior college defensive back Berry Buxton, who was on an official visit over the weekend. Buxton is listed at 6-2, 205 pounds on the Santa Barbary City College website. He originally played for Olympian High School in California before going the junior college route.

"It's a mix of a lot of things," Buxton said on his commitment. "Getting a top tier private education while also playing football is at the top. Being here,I will have plenty of support to complete my bachelor's and master's. I see myself learning everything I need to be able to get to the league here. I was also drawn into the feeling of family and loyalty that I could feel here between all the coaches, players, GAs and even around campus."

Buxton is the third commitment of the day for the Orange. He joins junior college teammate Jakobie Seabourn and offensive line transfer David Wohlabaugh as Syracuse pledges. All three visited over the weekend.

Wohlabaugh Jr. is transferring to Syracuse from Kentucky (PS; Leiker)

Syracuse football has earned its second commitment from the transfer portal since the end of spring ball.

David Wohlabaugh Jr., an offensive lineman who spent the past two seasons at Kentucky, announced his commitment Monday via Twitter.

Wohlabaugh is the son of SU alum Dave Wohlabaugh, who played center for the Orange in the early ‘90s. He was drafted in the fourth round of the 1995 NFL Draft by the New England Patriots and played nine seasons in the league with the Patriots, Cleveland Browns and St. Louis Rams.

Just last week, it was announced Dave Wohlabaugh would be enshrined in the Greater Buffalo Hall of Fame. He’s originally from Hamburg, New York.

Wohlabaugh’s brother, Jack Wohlabaugh, played center at Duke from 2018-2021.

Excited to say I have found my new home pic.twitter.com/knwc7mMMAN
— David wohlabaugh (@WohlabaughDavid) May 15, 2023

Originally from Stow, Ohio, Wohlabaugh (6-foot-6, 321 pounds) appeared in 10 total games for Kentucky with one start. He entered the transfer portal on April 30.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/david-wohlabaugh-sees-syracuse-as-perfect-fit (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football added to a position of need on Monday as Kentucky transfer offensive lineman David Wohlabaugh committed following an official visit.

"I was telling some of my friends when they heard the news, for me it was that I grew up, almost, in that area," Wohlabaugh said. "My grandparents being from Buffalo, I was up in that Upstate New York area a lot. For me, it felt very familiar. I think the coaching staff they have there is great. I think it's a perfect fit for me."

Originally, the plan was to take other visits and then evaluate options. However, that changed after visiting Syracuse.

"Just hearing on the phone from the coaches at Syracuse, I was hearing great things and stuff I wanted to hear," Wohlabaugh said. "It's almost kind of hard to realize it over the phone. So going there, putting voices with faces and getting to talk to people eye to eye, then watching the film and learning the offense they run. All of that solidified it for me. Being there in person with it."

Syracuse and Wohlabaugh have discussed generalities regarding his role, but much of that is to be determine once he arrives.

"We didn't really get into that too much," Wohlabaugh said. "Obviously, I think they want me to come in as a tackle. But it's more of a thing where I'm going to come in and see how things go from that standpoint. At Kentucky I was playing left and right side, I was even playing guard a little bit too. So I've been around all of the positions for sure."

David's father, Dave Wohlabaugh, played for Syracuse from 1992-94 as an offensive lineman. He accompanied the younger Wohlabaugh on the visit, which was kind of a full circle moment for the family.

"It was really cool," Wohlabaugh said. "I think it was a really cool experience for me and him. Coming down there, when we were driving up through the area, he was telling me stories and places I had never heard him talk about before. Kind of what they would do or even going around campus. He would reminisce a little bit, telling me he had classes in that building. It was cool to hear how his experience was while we were there.

Lamson_web.jpg

Cardinal Adds Transfer Quarterback - Stanford University Athletics (gostanford.com)

Stanford's Bradford M. Freeman Director of Football Troy Taylor announced the addition of undergraduate transfer quarterback Justin Lamson today. Lamson will join the program this summer from Syracuse and have three years of eligibility remaining.

Lamson, a native of El Dorado Hills, Calif., spent the 2021 and 2022 seasons at Syracuse, but did not see game action in either season. He redshirted during his true freshman season and missed the 2022 season with an injury, but was healthy this spring for the Orange.

Justin Lamson
Quarterback • 6-2 • 215
El Dorado Hills, Calif. / Oak Ridge / Syracuse

Prior To Stanford

• Spent two seasons at Syracuse
  • Member of the SU Athletic Director's Honor Roll all four semesters
  • Played four years at Oak Ridge for head coach Eric Cavaliere
  • Also played basketball in high school
  • A top-20 dual-threat quarterback by 247Sports
  • Top-50 prospect out of California
  • Totaled 3,576 yards and 29 touchdowns to lead his team to a Sac-Joaquin section championship as a junior
  • 2019 NorCal Offensive Player of the Year
  • 2019 Sacramento Bee Player of the Year

Personal

• Son of Jeff and Lisa Lamson
  • Father played at Washington State and with the Seahawks
  • Mother was a 49ers cheerleader
  • Has one brother, Colton
  • Brother played at UC Davis and is now in the CFL
  • Born in Mountain View, Calif.
  • Plans to major in economics

Syair Torrence talks Rutgers football offer, de-committing from Syracuse and official visits (yahoo.com; Dyer)

Syair Torrence has pulled down a couple of Big Ten offers over the past month. It is all part of recruitment that Torrence re-opened several weeks ago that includes offers from Michigan State and Rutgers.

In early May, Torrence opened things up and de-committed from Syracuse. He was offered by Michigan State in late April and then Rutgers just a week ago.

Torrence, a wide receiver at Christian Brothers Academy (Syracuse, N.Y.) was offered by Rutgers on May 11. The offer from the Big Ten program representing the first school to come in since Torrence de-committed from Syracuse in early February.

A playmaker wide receiver, he is top-five recruit in the 2024 recruiting class in New York by 247Sports. He is an electric player with game-changing speed.

He tells Rutgers Wire that he has three official visits planned for June:

• Rutgers June 2-4
  • Michigan State June 9-11
  • Syracuse June 16-18
Scroll down and check out what Syair Torrence had to say about his recruitment and his recent offers from Rutgers football and Michigan State.

Syair Torrence on his decision to re-open his committment

“Yes it was tough but I don’t regret my decision. I need to make sure I go through the process the correct way and make sure every box is checked.”

Syair Torrence on being offered by Rutgers football

“Coach Vallone is the person that recruits my area I think and he saw my film. After seeing my film he DM’ed me on Twitter, told me to text his number. We had a good normal conversation, then me and coach Schicano got a chance to talk to each other.

ACC News

McMurphy's Preseason Bowl Picks 2023 May 15 (RX; HM)

McMurphy's Preseason Bowl Picks 2023 May 15

Brett McMurphy tweeted his own way-too-early football bowl projections:

It's never too early for my @ActionNetworkHQ Never-Too-Early bowl projections. @CFBPlayoffs: Georgia-Washington; Michigan-Florida St; Orange: Clemson-Ohio St; Sugar: Texas Tech-Alabama; Fiesta: Oregon-Tulane; Peach: Penn St-LSU; Gator: Auburn-Louisville 2023 College Football Bowl Projections: Brett McMurphy's Early Predictions & Projected Spreads pic.twitter.com/2Hlk1B6H4g
— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) May 15, 2023
My Never-Too-Early @ActionNetworkHQ bowl projections. @CFBPlayoffs: Georgia-Washington; Michigan-FSU; Orange: Clemson-Ohio St; Peach: LSU-Penn St; Fiesta: Oregon-Tulane; Cotton: Bama-Texas Tech; Las Vegas: Utah-Nebraska; Citrus: Tennessee-Wisconsin 2023 College Football Bowl Projections: Brett McMurphy's Early Predictions & Projected Spreads pic.twitter.com/oUwGW1JLkU
— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) May 15, 2023
I could get behind these NY6 match-ups!

Other ACC Bowl Matchups (projected):

Gator Bowl: Auburn vs Louisville
Sun Bowl: Duke
vs Arizona
Mayo Bowl: Ole Miss vs Pitt
Cheez-It Bowl: UNC
vs Kansas St
Pinstripe Bowl: NC State vs Iowa
Holiday Bowl: Miami vs Oregon St
Military Bowl: Syracuse vs Navy
Fenway Bowl: Wake Forest vs Memphis

2023 P5 Over/Unders (RX; HM)

2023 P5 Over/Unders

A few days ago, SportsBetting.ag posted over/under numbers for every P5 team (including Notre Dame; see: Power 5 victory totals show long season for Deion/Buffs*)

Here are the projected win totals (teams projected to have losing records in pink):

ACCVictories
Florida State10.0
Clemson9.5
North Carolina8.5
Louisville7.5
Miami7.5
NC State6.5
Pittsburgh6.5
Duke6.5
Syracuse6.5
Wake Forest6.0
Boston College5.5
Virginia Tech5.0
Georgia Tech4.5
Virginia3.5
Average wins6.7

So basically the worst ACC teams from 2022 are projected to be the worst again in 2023. Not very creative.

There’s weirdness with conference realignment talk and Notre Dame (onefootdown.com; Vowles)

Are you ready for the next round of college football (and other sports too I guess) conference realignment talk and speculation? Are you ready for thousands of ill-informed tweets and message board posts about Notre Dame Football and whatever conference @Clemson69allday or @allabamma738932 thinks they should be in?

Yeah — me neither.

Which is why I regret to inform you all... it’s already here.

The next wave of conference realignment is about survival. Can the Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC make it?

How the War for the West - Pac-12 vs. Big 12 - may shape the college sports landscape https://t.co/ZYP90E7vcj
— Ross Dellenger (@RossDellenger) May 15, 2023
Ross Dellenger dropped this gem on Monday morning, and I was sure there we were going to see a barrage of tweets from media folk about Notre Dame and its place in all of this. Surely this would ignite at least 1⁄2 a dozen journos to finally hit the publish button on their latest “it’s time for Notre Dame to join a conference” manifesto — right?

Well... no — not really.

Special Links Edition: John Baranowski's Blog (RX; HM)

Special Links Edition: John Baranowski's Blog

I was only recently introduced to a new website for ACC football content: John Baranowski's Blog.

Below are some links for ACC-related articles about Pitt, Miami and Florida State. Enjoy!

Pitt Football: To schedule up or not to schedule up? That is the question.

How has Pitt football fared against Heisman Trophy winners?

Other

Wolf’s Patio Pizza slings wood-fired pies, plus a slice of swagger (video) (PS; Tulloch)

Among the music, chatter and engine noise at the 2023 Syracuse Food Truck Battle on Saturday, one powerful voice rose above the din.

“Yo, yo, yo, I got that dough!”

“Four dollars a slice, you can’t go wrong, Sarge!”

“Nobody forgets the Wolf!”

It can be tough to stand out at a festival that bills itself as “the largest gathering of food trucks in CNY history.”

After all, the event features 55 food trucks from Syracuse, Rochester, Utica, Binghamton and beyond, with three other trucks specializing in pizza as well.

But the Wolf’s Patio Pizza crew had a distinct advantage: the big personality and booming voice of their co-owner and operator Wolfgang Dwyer.

Between slinging pies, the “Wolf” worked the crowd like a carnival barker on the NYS Fair Midway.

He complimented couples walking by (“She makes you look good, buddy!”), whipped out his best Donald Duck impression for kids, and welcomed every customer with an energetic “Hey! Howzit goin?”

XFR6M7MF5FCQDH4I4WY626H7NQ.jpg

A house sits on Sunset Terrace in Baldwinsville. Empty since the mid nineties, it once belonged to Robert Pritchard a person with a dubious past. May 4, 2023. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

The sordid history inside that massive, mysterious mansion atop the tallest hill in Baldwinsville (PS; $; Croyle)

For almost a century, Applecrest, the sprawling mansion at sitting atop the tallest point in Baldwinsville, has been an object of curiosity.

Built by a couple who fell in love with its hilltop location, neighbors gawked and gossiped about the elegant estate during its construction in the early 1920s.

“This house has been a mysterious place for many, many people for many, many years,” a neighbor told The Post-Standard in 1994.

Its first owner died almost immediately after the house was built. It later fell into the hands of an enigmatic artist and socialite, who used the home to entertain dignitaries from around the world.

He surrounded himself with young followers, some of whom would later compare him to a cult leader. Police raided the house in 1994 amid allegations of sexual assault and an almost 20-year tax dispute -- an unseemly spectacle that only added to the building’s mystique.

Since then, it’s sat vacant, unused for decades.

For generations, Applecrest has stood out on an otherwise sleepy street, both for its opulence, its eeriness, and the lore of what’s happened over the decades inside.