Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Asparagus Day!

Asparagus, from the genus family Asparagaceae, is made up of more than 200 species. The most common and economically important is garden asparagus, which is cultivated to be eaten, and is celebrated today! It is usually green with a purple-tinged top, but white asparagus is another common variety and is often grown in Europe. In particular, in France's Argenteuil, asparagus is grown underground so that chlorophyll does not develop. This white asparagus is thick, is smoother than green types, and is known for its tenderness and delicate flavor. There is also a purple variety of asparagus called viola.

Asparagus was a delicacy of the ancient Romans and Greeks, and its name comes from the Greek word "asparagos." The name first appeared in print in English around 1000 CE. Native to the Eastern Hemisphere, it is not known exactly when it came to America; there is record of it growing in New Jersey by at least 1740. It was being grown in California by the 1850s, and 70 percent of the national crop is still grown there.

SU News

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/juco-rb-deston-hawkins-commits-to-syracuse (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2023 junior college running back Deston Hawkins committed to Syracuse after an official visit over the weekend. Hawkins starred at Foothill College, rushing for 1,164 yards and 18 touchdowns on 8.5 yards per carry in 10 games last season. Hawkins was also being recruited by Northern Arizona, UTEP, Idaho, Fresno State, Nevada, Oregon State and Washington State.

"I want to start out by giving God his thanks first and foremost because without him watching over me none of this would be possible," Hawkins said in a social media post. "I also want to give thanks to my parents, sister, and all the staff members and coaches that have believed in me throughout my journey. This has been a lengthy and challenging chapter in my life, and I'm glad to close it and begin a new one. With that being said, I'm happy to announce that I am 100% committed to Syracuse University."

Hawkins was named PAC-7 First Team All-Conference for his performance in 2022. He is listed at 6-0, 200 pounds on the Foothill Athletics website and has three years of eligibility remaining.

1684931892320.jpeg

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/giyahni-kontosis-has-connection-to-syracuse-football (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2025 Upper Marlboro (MD) Rock Creek wide receiver Giyahni Kontosis picked up an offer from Syracuse recently. He also holds scholarship opportunities from Boston College, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Minnesota, Tennessee and Virginia Tech, among others.

Coach (Mike) Johnson came and checked us out at practice," Kontosis said. "Watched me run some routes and do some drills. We had a great conversation after practice and he offered me.

"He just let me know he had been watching my film and he likes what he sees. He also told me always listen to my coaches, focus on school and about how he wants to get me up there on a visit."

Kontosis said he was excited to pick up the offer from the Orange. He started smiling afterwards because three of his coaches at Rock Creek are former Syracuse players.

30 Minutes In Orange Nation 5-23-23 (soundcloud.com; radio; Orange Nation)

Steve and Paulie start the show talking about the chances LeBron James retires and how his approval rating compared to Michael Jordan. Then, one listener calls in to discuss Syracuse football and what to make of Garrett Shrader going into another season at QB. Lastly, the guys chat with Orange Women's Basketball Head Coach Felisha Legette-Jack about the latest additions to the roster and more.

Dave Zirin "The 315" 5-23-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Dave Zirin, author of “Jim Brown: Last Man Standing”, joins the show to discuss the legacy of Jim Brown. Zirin shares how Brown almost did not play running back at Syracuse and how he found his way on both the football and lacrosse teams. Plus, a look at Brown’s life both good and bad off the field.

Jim Brown, Football Great and Civil Rights Champion, Dies at 87 (nytimes.com; Goldstein)

Jim Brown, the Cleveland Browns fullback who was acclaimed as one of the greatest players in pro football history, and who remained in the public eye as a Hollywood action hero and a civil rights activist, though his name was later tarnished by accusations of violent conduct against women, died on Thursday night at his home in Los Angeles. He was 87.

His family announced his death on Friday on Instagram but did not cite the cause.

Playing for the Browns from 1957 to 1965 after earning all-American honors at Syracuse University in football and lacrosse, Brown helped take Cleveland to the 1964 National Football League championship.

In any game, he dragged defenders when he wasn’t running over them or flattening them with a stiff arm. He eluded them with his footwork when he wasn’t sweeping around ends and outrunning them. He never missed a game, piercing defensive lines in 118 consecutive regular-season games, though he played one year with a broken toe and another with a sprained wrist.

“All you can do is grab, hold, hang on and wait for help,” Sam Huff, the Hall of Fame middle linebacker for the Giants and the Washington team now known as the Commanders, once told Time magazine.

Brown was voted football’s greatest player of the 20th century by a six-member panel of experts assembled by The Associated Press in 1999. A panel of 85 experts selected by NFL Films in 2010 placed him No. 2 all time behind the wide receiver Jerry Rice of the San Francisco 49ers.

He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1971, the Lacrosse Hall of Fame in 1984 and the College Football Hall of Fame in 1995.

d798a8fb-9071-4529-9340-2abaa79165d7-AP23139659097370.jpg

'He didn’t sell out, he never caved in.' Jim Brown transcended athletics| Judson Jeffries (dispatch.com; Jeffries)

Widely considered the NFL’s all-time greatest running back, sports enthusiasts are familiar with Jim Brown’s gridiron exploits, but little else.

When people referred to Brown as the best football player ever, he scoffed at the idea, replying humbly, “well, I know I didn’t play any defense for the Browns.”

Brown was an all-around athlete who lettered in several sports, both in high school and college, Syracuse University to be exact. Not only was Brown one of the best college football players, but a two-time All-American in lacrosse. In 1983, he was the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame’s first African American inductee.

Few athletes enjoyed Brown’s level of fame and reverence.

Back in the early 1990s, a mutual friend gave me Brown’s home phone number and encouraged me to call, as I was interested in volunteering for his Amer-I-Can program.

ACC News

ACC News and Notes: Ty-Laur Johnson Commits to Louisville, Favour Aire Joins Penn State, Curtis Givens Down to Seven Schools (pittsburghsportsnow.com; Bechtold)

ACC News and Notes on Tuesday surround one transfer moving from Miami to Penn State and two high school players, Ty-Laur Johnson and Curtis Givens, making major waves in their recruitment.

Four-Star Point Guard Ty-Laur Johnson Commits to Louisville

The Louisville Cardinals have added Class of 2023 guard Ty-Laur Johnson to the program. Johnson announced his decision on Monday through On3 and Joe Tipton. He formerly committed to Memphis on Nov. 12 but never signed his Letter of Intent with the Tigers. Johnson is a 6-foot guard from the Bronx, New York, and also received offers from NC State, Ole Miss, Seton Hall, and others.

@TyLaurJohnson2 had a great summer playing AAU. One of the most underrated guys in his class, he outperformed many players ranked higher than him! pic.twitter.com/py6khqPTsG
— Scott Talks Podcast (@podcast_scott) November 19, 2022

Former Miami Center Favour Aire Commits to Penn State

Former Miami center Favour Aire committed to Penn State on Monday. The 6-foot-11 big from Ekpoma, Nigeria, attended high school in Maryland and committed to Miami as a four-star prospect (No. 61 overall nationally). He only played in 37 total minutes for Jim Larrañaga, spanning 14 games. Aire scored nine total points, six against Louisville on Dec. 4, and grabbed four offensive and defensive rebounds during his lone season in South Florida.

WATCH YO HEAD! Favour Aire with the huge dunk for McNamara!! pic.twitter.com/mkBXBbdloS
— Commonwealth Basketball Group (@theCBGLive) June 26, 2021

The Hurricanes reached the Final Four after winning the ACC regular-season title. Larrañaga’s squad received a boost when Nijel Pack announced his return to the program next year.

Nebraska Football: Ted Carter thinks expansion is in Big Ten’s near future (huskercorner.com; Vandevoort)

Will the Nebraska football team be getting some more rivals joining the Big 10 in the very near future? If UNL president Ted Carter‘s latest comments can be believed, it appears that it’s going to happen. The question now is just when.

Carter talked to the Omaha World-Herald’s Tom Shatel this weekend, and while he didn’t totally spill the beans, it looks like he certainly shed a bit of light on the future of the Big Ten.

“How big should (Big Ten) be? Do we need 4 more Pac-12 teams? … I think we have another year or 2 of the status quo w/few minor changes. But I think over next year there’s going to be a lot of big changes that are going to happen. 2 teams that move from 1 of the Power 5 conferences that cause things to unravel. There’s a domino effect. 1 team leaves (the ACC) it has a domino effect. Same w/(teams leaving) the Pac-12”

Carter’s comments aren’t out the blue, especially when it comes to his words about the ACC. Like the Pac-12, the ACC seems to be in a state of flux. While those in charge have said lots of positive things, the vibe is that the conference is in trouble.

Nebraska football getting more conference rivals

With USC and UCLA joining the conference, it certainly seems like the time to add more is now. There have long been talk about even more Pac-12 teams following the Trojans and Bruins. But what if the ACC is the place where the conference ends up adding from?

It’s all still speculation at this point. The Nebraska football team is preparing for the two new Big 10 additions for when they start in the 2024 season. But when a university president is talking about something like conference expansion, it’s a very safe bet that fans are going to hear big news relatively soon.

Column | Save the ACC through expansion - The Pitt News (pittnews.com; Sherry)

To put it bluntly — the future of the ACC looks turbulent at best and downright bleak at worst.

Earlier this month, reports came out that seven member schools — Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina, Miami, NC State, Virginia Tech and Virginia — were meeting with lawyers to discuss possible ways around the ACC’s grant of rights in an attempt to leave the conference.

The grant of rights deal — which was formed in 2013 and extended in 2016 — is a complicated issue. To put it simply, by agreeing to the grant of rights deal, each ACC member school sold off its home game broadcasting rights to the conference in exchange for a roughly equal yearly payout to each member.

The issue is that, by signing the agreement, each school forfeited their broadcasting rights until the end of the agreement. This means that if a school leaves the conference, it would forfeit its broadcasting revenue until the contract expires.

Now, the contract does not expire until 2036 — making it virtually impossible for a school to leave the ACC for over a decade.

Yet this has not stopped athletic programs from trying.

For now, it seems the “magnificent seven” schools have failed in their attempts to leave the ACC for greener pastures. Nonetheless, it has become apparent that the conference itself needs to do more to secure its future in the ever-changing world of college athletics.

This could take multiple forms. Florida State athletic director Michael Alford suggested changing the ACC’s equal revenue sharing policy to favor larger, more profitable programs is necessary.

But ultimately, turning the ACC into a cesspool of inequality won’t save the conference. The only way for the conference to compete with its largest competitors  — the SEC and Big Ten — is to fight fire with fire and begin aggressively expanding.

Currently, the SEC and Big Ten are poaching profitable teams from smaller conferences at an alarming rate. In just one year, Oklahoma and Texas will join the SEC, while USC and UCLA will join the Big Ten. At this current rate, the industry of college athletics is headed towards a monopoly dominated by the two giants in the North and South.

The revenue inequality between the ACC and the two mega-conferences is already troubling, but it’s only going to get worse. The ACC ranks third among the Power Five conferences in terms of revenue, earning around $617 million for the 2022 fiscal year. This equates to around $37.9-$41.3 million in revenue payout per school.

But, comparatively, the Big Ten and SEC already blow the ACC out of the water in revenue. The Big Ten ranks first in the nation in revenue, earning $845.6 million overall and $58.8 million per team. The SEC lags slightly behind, earning $802 million overall and $49.9 million per team. Ultimately, this disparity will only get worse once Oklahoma, Texas, UCLA and USC switch conferences in 2024.

https://www.si.com/college/georgiat...h-land-in-on3s-post-spring-acc-power-rankings (SI; Caudell)

Spring football is now over and multiple outlets are releasing their post-spring rankings, either nationally or for each conference. While these power rankings hold no weight to how the season will play out, it is interesting to see how each team is viewed.

On3 Sports recently released their post-spring ACC power rankings and they have Georgia Tech in the bottom half of the conference after the spring.

The Yellow Jackets are checking in at No. 11. They are above Virginia Tech, Boston College, and Virginia.

Where will Georgia Tech finish in the ACC this year?

Here is what On3 analyst Jesse Simonton had to say about the Yellow Jackets after the spring:

"After nearly taking the Yellow Jackets to a bowl game as an interim coach, Brent Key was promoted to permanent head coach this offseason, taking over his alma mater which desperately needs some continuity and direction after three failed seasons under Geoff Collins.

Making the case for four ACC schools to join the SEC, as realignment talk rekindles (knoxnews.com; Toppmeyer & Adams)

Certain ACC members are unsatisfied with the conference’s third-fiddle media rights distribution, and several have examined the bonds of the conference’s media rights agreement.

With schools like Clemson and Florida State exhibiting a wandering eye, there can be only two conferences on a waffling ACC school's dream destination list: the SEC or the Big Ten.

Navigating to either, though, would require clearance of a tall hurdle: The ACC’s media rights deal runs through 2036, and that deal has successfully glued its membership to the conference, so far.

On this episode of “SEC Football Unfiltered,” a podcast from the USA TODAY Network, hosts Blake Toppmeyer and John Adams highlight four ACC schools that should interest the SEC for further expansion, if those schools somehow find a way out of the conference’s media rights agreement.

Of course, slithering away from that deal would come with multiple barriers, including a steep financial penalty. The deal has shown itself to be binding enough to keep the ACC together, even as the SEC raided the Big 12 and the Big Ten penetrated the Pac-12.

Probably, the ACC’s deal will continue to hold, but if the league fractures, the SEC cannot afford for the Big Ten to enjoy dibs on the top ACC fare.

Here’s the case for four ACC schools that make sense for the SEC:

Florida State

The SEC-FSU flirtation stretches back more than 30 years. The Seminoles were a prime candidate for the SEC when it wanted to expand from 10 to 12 teams, but Bobby Bowden favored the easier route in the ACC at that time. All this time later, FSU’s location, brand and football pedigree and passion still make sense for the SEC.

Joel Klatt explains conference realignment & how it affects college football | Joel Klatt Show (youtube; podcasrt; Joel Klatt)

Joel Klatt analyzed the ACC conference realignment among seven schools in the conference. Joel explained the recent history of conference realignment and how it affects college football as a whole. He claimed that conference realignment will be a constant moving forward in college football. Joel explained how the TV deals were formed when they were signed versus how the reality is now. He explained why the NFL model for TV deals are different and why it works for them but not for college football.

https://mikefarrellsports.com/fact-...-vs-prime-future-of-the-acc-floridas-schedule (MFS; Farrell)

In today’s Fact or Fiction, I look at three big recent topics in college football and decide whether the statement is indeed FACT or if it’s FICTION.

1. Pat Narduzzi is right about Deion and Colorado.

Farrell’s take: FACT

Narduzzi is always outspoken and I applaud him for it. From calling out Lincoln Riley for poaching Jordan Addison to downplaying the role of Mark Whipple in the development of the offense and Kenny Pickett, Narduzzi can be blunt. His latest rant was about how Deion Sanders is doing things all wrong by forcing players out at Colorado. Here is what Narduzzi told 247Sports’ Brandon Marcello about what he thinks about Coach Prime.

“That’s not the way it’s meant to be. That’s not what the rule intended to be. It was not to overhaul your roster. We’ll see how it works out but that, to me, looks bad on college football coaches across the country. The reflection is on one guy right now but when you look at it overall — those kids that have moms and dads and brothers and sisters and goals in life — I don’t know how many of those 70 that left really wanted to leave or they were kicked in the butt to get out.”

And he’s right. It’s a bad look. But with NIL and the portal, college football has become NFL-like with free pay for play and free agency and Sanders is taking advantage of it. It’s not what I’d do and it’s not what Narduzzi would do and I think it’s wrong, but if it’s not illegal then is it cheating? It’s an interesting debate.

2. The talk of the ACC losing members is legit.

Farrell’s take: FICTION

C’mon people. Conference realignment rumors are the lowest-hanging fruit in college football media and it keeps getting used for clicks. The latest is Brett McMurphy and his “magnificent seven” rumor that seven ACC teams — Clemson, Florida State, Miami, UNC, NC State, Virginia, and Virginia Tech — have been working behind the scenes to get out of the ACC Grant of Rights debacle. Heck, I’ll write about this all day too if people want to read it and I have staffers doing interesting articles on where these teams could land. But let’s be real. Leaving means losing about $120 million in revenue, and the Grant of Rights has been looked at by hundreds of lawyers over the years and it’s nearly impossible to break. This is all rumor, innuendo, and posturing for tasty headlines and for the elite ACC teams to get more revenue over the also-rans. And that’s kind of funny since Miami has been below average since joining the ACC, Virginia Tech has stunk since Frank Beamer left, Virginia has had like two good years recently and Florida State is coming off a 25-33 run from 2017 to 2021. This was a good deal for all to sign when conference realignment was running crazy and now the deal sucks. That’s life and no one is going anywhere.

Pitt mailbag: Where will the Panthers go if the ACC dissolves? (PPG; Hiles & Carter)

Welcome to the Pitt mailbag, where the Post-Gazette reporters Noah Hiles and Chris Carter answer all of your questions about the Panthers. If you have a question, tweet them at @_Noahhiles and @Cartercritiques or email them at nhiles@post-gazette.com and ccarter@post-gazette.com. Noah and Chris will answer your questions in full length each Tuesday on YouTube. You can read the condensed version of the discussion below.

Alex: For a lack of a better way to put it, Is Pitt screwed when it comes to conference realignment?

Hiles: No, Pitt isn’t screwed because the ACC isn’t going anywhere. Plenty of lawyers have looked at the league’s grand-of-rights long before it was reported by Sports Illustrated last week. If a loophole couldn’t be found before, it’s not going to just show up now. The “Magnificent 7” were simply trying to light a fire under someone’s — really anyone’s — rear end, in hopes that they can find a way to make more money from this current media deal they’re stuck in until 2036.

Carter: Just to give a different answer, I think if the ACC were to ever dissolve, Pitt would find a home. Just because teams are in the “Magnificent 7” doesn’t mean their athletic programs are more attractive or lucrative than Pitt, especially Pitt football. I think the Panthers have established themselves as, at the very least, a respectable brand in the college football space. That would make them a decent addition for a few conferences, although, like Noah said, the ACC isn’t going anywhere.

Could the ACC really expand west and come for Pac-12 schools? l Pac-12 Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on the Pac-12)

The ACC has been generating big headlines recently with reports about the so-called ‘Magnificent 7’ schools looking to potentially leave.

There was another report about the ACC expanding west, and they reportedly looked at Oregon and Washington as potential options.

On today’s episode of Locked On Pac-12, Spencer McLaughlin talks about why that move is unlikely to happen from Oregon/UW’s end.

Also, the money apparently doesn’t work out from the ACC’s end of things–and there’s data from this past season to indicate why.

On another note, Justin Wilcox enters year 6 at the helm for the Cal Golden Bears this year, with an expected win total of just 4.5 (2nd-lowest in the Pac-12).

They are an appealing “over” bet given a solid offseason, but their schedule is not the most favorable.

2023 Win Over/Unders (RX; HM)

2023 Win Over/Unders

From College Football Victory Totals, courtesy of Josh Barton [josh@oddspr.com] via prnewswire.com.
...everyone is eagerly anticipating next season when the bracket expands to 12 teams. Predicting which teams will reach the CFP isn't easy, but the victory totals below can give you an idea of which schools the oddsmakers believe will perform well.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: These odds are provided strictly for informational purposes. We recognize that many fans appreciate knowing how outsiders view their team's "odds of winning". However, neither Hokie Mark nor ACCFootballRx supports, endorses, or condones gambling. We strongly urge you NOT TO GAMBLE! Use this information as it is intended by us: for informational and entertainment purposes only.
NCAA football victory totals are courtesy of SportsBetting.ag. Numbers will move based on betting, and they can be found every day leading up to the season here:
https://www.sportsbetting.ag//futures-and-props/ncaaf-team-wins/regular-season-wins

Projected win totalsOver/UnderActual 2022
ACC Team20232022wins (+/- err)
Boston College Eagles3 (-3½)
Clemson Tigers10½11 (+½)
Florida State Seminoles10½10 (+3½)
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets5 (+½)
Louisville Cardinals88 (+2½)
Miami Hurricanes5 (-3½)
N. Carolina Tar Heels9 (+2½)
N.C. State Wolf Pack8 (-½)
Notre Dame Fighting Irish99 (-½)
Pittsburgh Panthers9 (+1½)
Syracuse Orange7 (+2½)
Virginia Cavaliers3 (-4½)
Virginia Tech Hokies53 (-3½)
Wake Forest Demon Deacons68 (-½)

Teams that went at least 2 wins over in 2022: FSU, Louisville, UNC, Syracuse

What if the ACC added Stanford and SMU? (RX; HM)

What if the ACC added Stanford and SMU?

Correction: I originally forgot to back out ESPN's half; it's fixed now, and still looks good.

In my last post I suggested adding just two teams: Stanford (from the Pac-10) and SMU (from the American Athletic Conference).

The ACC brought in $617 million total in the 2021-22 fiscal year.

If the ACC added Stanford and SMU, there would be new revenues and expenses...

New Revenues

T1 media rights fees (pro rata).

This is currently estimated to be around $19 to $20 million per school (about $290 million for all 14), so adding two more schools would bump it by about $39 million, for a new total of $328 million.

ACC Network subscription fees (guaranteed in-state rates).

By my calculations, the ACCN already brings in about $155 million to the conference (about $10 million to each of the 15 member institutions). Adding these two schools - one each in the two most populous states not already in the ACC - would bring in an estimated $69.8 million/year more in subscriber fees. That gets the ACCN to a new (projected) total of $224 million.

Increase in Total Media Rights fees.

So a theoretical 17-team ACC (including Notre Dame, Stanford, and SMU) would bring in $328M + $224M = $551 million, or $32.4 million per school. That alone represents an increase of $3 million per year each.

Unequal Sharing/Phased-In Share

Now, let's assume that the ACC applies a phased-in share version of unequal sharing to these two new schools. If we set the initial share to $3 million more than what they are getting from their current conference, increasing by $3M/year until they ready full distribution, then we'd get something like this:

Stanford

Est. Pac-12 payout: $37 million
New ACC payout: $40 million
Available to redistribute, 1st year: about $4 million
Years to reach full distribution: 2

Southern Methodist (SMU)

Est. AAC payout: $17 million
New ACC payout: $20 million
Available to redistribute, 1st year: about $24 million
Years to reach full distribution: 8

Projections, 2024-36

Let's say 2024 is year one. Let's also assume that cord-cutting costs the ACCN 10% of its subscribers each year (may not be true, but let's assume). How might this all impact ACC payouts?

Total available $M, ACCN plus redistributed $M:

season
previous
$M/team
ACCN
+$M/tm
redist
tot $M
redist
$M/tm
new tot
$M/tm*

What if Stanford joined the ACC? (RX; HM)

What if Stanford joined the ACC?

Correction: I originally forgot to back out ESPN's half; it's fixed now, and still looks good.

Does it make financial sense for the ACC to add a Pac-10 team like Stanford? The question has caused more than a little debate. The answer may depend on something former ESPN President John Skipper said in an interview:

“The ACC Network has contracts with all the distributors that pay an in-conference fee and pay an out-of-conference fee based on state,” Skipper said. “And that is not negotiable. That is enforceable. And suddenly all of those subscribers—it’s a declining universe—there’s still 15 million subscribers in that footprint, give or take, and they would suddenly be paying a couple of bucks a year for the ACC Network.”

Sports Business with John Skipper and David Samson | 03/01/2023 | The Dan LeBatard Show with Stugotz

Sports Business with John Skipper and David Samson
03/01/2023 | The Dan LeBatard Show with Stugotz

The ACC Network may go away eventually, but for the forseeable future, it will continue to get good distribution. (He didn't discuss the length of those cable contracts. Best case scenario, it's all 13 years of the rest of the GoR).
By the way, we recently found out from Brett McMurphy that the ACC's T1 contract would pay "pro rata" for a new team (like Stanford), so that's not an issue [LINK].
Back to the ACCN revenue numbers: if Stanford were to join the ACC, how much new ACCN revenue would they generate? Let's run the numbers...

13.4 million households in California
An estimated 48% of households subscribe to cable*
For the ACC Network, in-market subscibers pay approximately $1/month ($12/year).
13.4 million x 0.48 x $12/2 = $38.6 million per year (after ESPN takes their cut)

* note: it's unclear if those who subscribe through streaming bundles like YouTubeTV are included in this number.
So, basically, ESPN pays the going ACC rate for Stanford's T1 rights, and the ACCN gets $38.6 million in new subscriber fees - not a bad deal! If Stanford were the only new addition, it would translate into an extra $38.6M/16 = $2.4M/school from the ACCN. That would boost ACC payouts from about $40M to about $42.4M per year (average).

Does Unequal Sharing Reopen ACC Expansion? (RX; HM)

Does Unequal Sharing Reopen ACC Expansion?

CSNBBS user and VT fan "random asian" wrote in "ACC's next step: Expansion?"

I'm probably one of very few people (or maybe only one) who keeps posting about the possibility of the ACC expansion. To me it just makes lots of sense. I was very looking forward to the ACC spring meeting because I thought the unequal revenue sharing is a necessary condition (but not a sufficient condition) for an expansion...
...The only way that [current ACC] schools would not be financially worse off than before is through an expansion if incoming schools bring enough value and/or incoming schools take smaller share of profit. In return for the unequal revenue sharing, Clemson, FSU, Miami or any other big schools that may be initially reluctant of an expansion should change their votes.
Linking the unequal revenue sharing and an expansion may be the only way for Phillips to pass both proposals.
...how do I know the unequal revenue sharing is the prerequisite for an expansion?
Because...ESPN said so.
This an ESPN reporting back in March:
The revenue distribution changes could open the door to expansion, too -- allowing the ACC to potentially pay newer members a smaller share of the total -- but those talks have largely fallen flat, according to multiple sources. While the league has run numbers on what several potential expansion options might add to the pie, none looked like a financial bonanza, and several ADs were reluctant to see the league grow amidst so much turmoil both inside and outside the ACC.
Inside the big-money battle that could decide the ACC's future
To my knowledge, this is the only article which confirms the ACC had an actual discussion about the expansion before McMurphy's tweet yesterday. Not only did they have a discussion, it seems like the ACC also ran multiple scenarios. For most people, an ACC expansion is just a complete non starter. So this ESPN reporting was quickly ignored.

Now then why nothing happened so far?
Because there were not enough votes! Schools were looking for financial Bonanza and some schools are just afraid of an expansion.
I didn't know which schools vetoed against an expansion. But after the M7 news, I now suspect that it was non M7 schools that opposed an expansion. And to a VT fan like me this is eerily similar to old Big East expansion discussions. Small basketball schools used to be so against any football expansion.
Now, since M7 schools flexed its muscles, will we see an expansion soon?
I hope so. But,
The travel concern (if the ACC is looking to Pac schools) is a valid one. The Pac culture is different from the ACC culture. UO and UW may not want to sign a long term GoR with the ACC. The BIG keeps a door open for further expansion which won't help the ACC (although "blood on their hands" theory doesn't make much sense in my opinion).
But at the same time, the travel issue can be worked out as long as the money increase is enough. All FSU and some other M7 schools care about would be the money increase for the next 13 years. They fought tooth and tail to get a possible $10 million increase. If an expansion gives them a guaranteed $5 million increase or so for the next 10 years by channeling money via an unequal revenue sharing, why not?
Here are my thoughts on that:

One way that unequal sharing might convince ACC schools to expand is if the newbies automatically get less in order for everyone else to get more. This is what the Big Ten and Big XII have always done, but in the past the ACC has had a policy of 100% share for new members from day one. So it's certainly not unprecedented or even unusual among the P5 - just new for the ACC.
For example, if the ACC were to add teams from the Pac-12, the numbers might be:
Average 2022 payouts: ACC $43M, Pac $36.3M
Assuming pro rata for expansion and a $1.5M escalator (so $44.5M avg), year-to-year, and moving $5M from the newbies to the top ACC teams...
2023 Unequal payouts: Top ACC teams $49.5M, new Pac teams $40.5M
That's just a $4.2M increase for the Pac teams (assuming their new contract pays just as much as the old one, which may not be a given). Maybe worth it, maybe not. At least they'd know at some point they'd get at least $5M/year more once the initial period ended...
Perhaps a better example: adding USF and Tulane? According to SBJ, the AAC reported $94M in total revenue for FY '20-21, which comes to $7.8M/team (less conference share). Now, let's move $10M from the newbies and give it to the top performers.

Other

SY2INBXF2VFRPMWZRBFDK24P44.jpg

Lunch from The Rice Box in Syracuse: black pepper beef, potstickers and scallion ginger fish. This 6-pound meal cost $22.50. It weighs as much as 12 Big Macs or five dozen chicken wings. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Hidden Gems of CNY: A Chinese food speakeasy in a basement near downtown (PS; $; Miller)

There is no neon “Chinese Food” sign in front of Progressive Expert Consulting headquarters at 650 James St. There’s no hostess or cashier or tables. In fact, there’s no public access to any entrance here.

You order your meal online, and it will mysteriously appear within 30 minutes on a table inside a portico in the gated parking lot out back. You don’t eat it here. You grab your bag and go elsewhere.

That’s the enigmatic beauty of the Rice Box, a to-go Chinese food speakeasy that operates in the basement of a family business near downtown.

In case you didn’t know, the Rice Box isn’t just a takeout restaurant. It started in 2006 as an employee cafeteria for PEC, a language instruction tech company that’s worked with Special Operations Command and the Air Force. Chief operating officer Francis Feng hired Chef David Chen, a culinary school graduate from Hong Kong, to prepare healthy meals for the 80 employees who worked afternoon-to-evening shifts.

“My father always wanted a restaurant. For him, it was all about culture,” said Dan Feng, Francis’ son and the chief technology officer of PEC. “So much of Chinese culture is built around food. Deals are built around food. Relationships are created around food. Family gatherings are centered around the dinner table. We wanted to share that culture here.”

RJ7Z7XLZZFHIJE5QDIW3KQT6WA.jpg

Downtown Syracuse skyline is seen from Washington Place. (Rick Moriarty | rmoriarty@syracuse.com)Rick Moriarty | rmoriarty@syracuse.com

Syracuse tops in Upstate NY in new ranking of US cities (PS; $; Tampone)

Syracuse was the top-ranked city in Upstate New York in the 2023 Best Performing Cities Index from the Milken Institute.

Milken, a think tank based in California, released the 2023 index May 16. It measures cities on multiple factors including labor market performance, high-tech impact and access to economic opportunities.

Syracuse ranked 133 nationwide among 200 big cities in the 2023 index. It beat all the other big Upstate cities, including Buffalo, Rochester and Albany.

Only two places in New York ranked higher than Syracuse nationwide in this year’s index: New York City at 93 and the Nassau-Suffolk County area at 129.

Albany was 142, Buffalo was 147, Utica-Rome was 174, Rochester was 183 and the Dutchess-Putnam County area was 196.

The Provo-Orem area in Utah topped the index of large cities for third year in a row.

The 2023 index was based mainly on 2021 data, reflecting the first full year of recovery after the Covid-19 pandemic first hit, according to Milken.

“This year’s report shows that US cities continue to drive the nation’s growth despite the pressures created by Covid-19,” Maggie Switek, director of regional economics in the Milken Institute’s Research Department, said in a news release. “Three years after the onset of the pandemic, cities are still the main centers of the nation’s economic activity. In 2021, the metropolitan areas included in the BPC rankings generated 89% of the U.S. gross domestic product and were home to 86.3% of the country’s population.”

I posted this because this song has been closely linked to Syracuse University…​

Last edited: