Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
200.webp

Welcome to National Drive-Thru Day!

National Drive-Thru Day was started by Jack in the Box restaurant to recognize all drive-thru businesses and to express appreciation for the availability of convenient meals that can be picked up with a vehicle. Drive-thrus are generally thought of as being for restaurants, but they also are used for banking, to purchase liquor, to gamble, and even to get married. Prior to the holiday's first observance in 2002, Jack in the Box asked California Governor Gray Davis for support. His response was to issue a commendation to recognize the day in the state. In past years, Jack in the Box has given out free milkshakes on the day.

Motorists were first served from their vehicles in 1921, when the first drive-in, the Pig Stand, opened outside of Dallas on the highway to Fort Worth. Diners ate on the premises in their vehicles, after carhops hopped on their running boards to take orders and clipped trays with food to their windows. Beginning in 1931, Pig Stand Number 21 in Los Angeles allowed orders to be made at a window, although it is unknown if diners had to get out of their vehicles to use it. Although the Pig Stand is known for being the first drive-in, they also have laid claim to having the first drive-thru window. As of 2020, there is just one Pig Stand still in operation: Pig Stand Number 29 in San Antonio, Texas. Following the opening of the first Pig Stand, more drive-in chains followed, like Maid-Rite and Carpenter's Sandwiches. Drive-ins were particularly popular in the late 1920s and early 1930s and were the precursor to the drive-thrus of the mid-twentieth century. In the 1930s, drive-thrus at banks, known as "motor banks," got their start. These drive-thrus offered bankers convenience and security and were another precursor to drive-thrus at restaurants.

SU News

ACC's new kids on the block: How SMU, Cal and Stanford are looking to fit in (nytimes.com; $; Navarro)

Ashton Daniels took on the challenge of naming all 17 ACC teams with some level of confidence.

After all, Stanford’s starting quarterback is from Georgia.

“We’ll go with the three new ones: Stanford, Cal, SMU,” he said. “We’ll go with Virginia and Virginia Tech. North Carolina, NC State and Duke. Let’s see. Georgia Tech. Miami. Clemson. Oh, who else is in there? Pittsburgh.

“Five more? I’m stumped right now. It’s not easy at all. I’ve got nothing.”

A cameraman and reporter helped him fill in the blanks: Louisville, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Boston College and defending conference champion Florida State.

Daniels was the winner of this little exercise. His teammate, star receiver Elic Ayomanor, who is from Canada, named only nine ACC schools.

Stanford quarterback Ashton Daniels is entering his third season with the Cardinal. (Jim Dedmon / USA Today)
If we’re being fair, it might be hard for most of the general public to name all 17 ACC schools. Not only because the league has expanded from coast to coast, but also because in large part, it has been kind of invisible in the national championship race since Clemson began slipping a few years ago.

“I’m from the East Coast. The two big conferences I grew up watching were the SEC and ACC,” Daniels said. “I’ve always been familiar with the greats from the ACC, watched all the crazy Clemson games when Deshaun Watson was there. He’s a Georgia guy so I followed him. But it is new for us, especially the West Coast guys on our team. It’s gonna be a whole new experience for them. Heat is different. Humidity is different. The college atmosphere is gonna be different. But that’s something we’re all looking forward to.”

The truth is the transition to the ACC for Cal, Stanford and SMU is different for all three.

SMU is making the jump in weight class to the Power 4. SMU is logging 6,583 travel miles this season with two trips to the West Coast and three to the East Coast — fifth most in the league behind the two California and Florida schools. The Mustangs are the most prepared of the newcomers to win right away after going 11-3, winning the American Athletic Conference crown and finishing 24th in the final College Football Playoff rankings last season.

Stanford and Cal, meanwhile, were abandoned in the breakup of the Pac-12. There’s a sense of sadness mixed with the bizarro world of playing games on the East Coast.

“It’s definitely hitting home now,” sixth-year Stanford linebacker Tristan Sinclair, a California native, said as he sat and looked at the ACC poster placed behind him. “I felt kind of weird about it. I’m excited about playing in the ACC, but I’m sad the Pac-12 died.”

From Dublin to Death Valley: Mapping out the best 2024 ACC college football road trips (nytimes; $; Raynor & Navarro)

You have been granted one ticket per week where you can go to any ACC game. The only catch is you can’t see the same team two weeks in a row. Which game are you going to each week and what intrigues you about the matchup or location?

That question was posed to us by Jon S. in a callout for questions for our ACC mailbag. Good question, Jon! So good that we decided to devote an entire story to it. Here goes:

Week 0

Navarro: Georgia Tech versus Florida State in Dublin. Of course, I’d love to take a trip to Ireland and watch the Seminoles and Yellow Jackets. It’s a good matchup and a trip to Europe.

Raynor: Dublin! In between checking out where my great-grandparents are from, I’d love nothing more than to grab a Guinness and get an early look at Florida State’s DJ Uiagalelei — arguably the most fascinating quarterback in the league this year.

Week 1

Navarro: Miami at Florida. It’s a must-see (in my opinion) ACC-SEC rivalry matchup. Can Cam Ward lift Miami to its first win in Gainesville since 2002?

Raynor: Clemson versus Georgia in Atlanta for the Aflac Kickoff Game. That’s a game I think we all have circled. Can Clemson finally get its offense back on track? This will be an informative early litmus test.

Week 2

Navarro: BYU at SMU on a Friday night. Big 12 versus ACC. Rhett Lashlee’s crew is coming off an American Athletic Conference title and will have played twice by then. The Big 12 was 4-1 against the ACC last year.

Raynor: NC State versus Tennessee in Charlotte. It’s the most exciting game on the schedule and features two very passionate fan bases. Also, I know this is an ACC question, but I’d pick this game to see five-star quarterback Nico Iamaleava play live.

Week 3

Navarro: Memphis at Florida State. Mike Norvell went 38-15 in his time at Memphis before ending up in Tallahassee. The Tigers are the favorite to win the American this year with a four-year starter at quarterback in Seth Henigan and his three top receivers back from last year.

Raynor: West Virginia at Pitt. It’s a historic matchup and is one of those games I’d love to see in person — even if the Panthers are coming off a three-win season.

Week 4

Navarro: Virginia at Coastal Carolina. It’s early enough in the season that I can check out another nonconference game, so let’s see a Group of 5 program that’s won a lot of games in recent years and plays on teal turf. James Madison visits North Carolina on the same day, so it could be a rough week for the ACC’s reputation if it loses a pair of games to Sun Belt teams.

Raynor: NC State at Clemson. There’s no telling what’s going to happen when these two teams get together. It’s chippy, it’s personal and it usually delivers. This would also be a good opportunity to see Coastal Carolina transfer quarterback Grayson McCall face a stout defense in a hostile environment.

Week 5

Navarro: Based in South Florida, I’ll be at Virginia Tech-Miami on Friday night for the ACC opener for both schools. But if I had a second choice this week, it would be Florida State at SMU.

Raynor: Virginia Tech at Miami. I’m glad to see these two teams playing each other again. It’s a fun rivalry and features two teams looking to take the next step and get back to their glory days.

Week 6

Navarro: Clemson-FSU. It’s the two best programs in the league. Easy call.

Raynor: Clemson at Florida State. This is a no-brainer. Uiagalelei against his old team? The league’s two top teams squaring off in Tallahassee? Sign me up. The only time I have been to Tallahassee was in 2018 when Clemson beat FSU so badly that the shirtless professor went viral for reading a book. I’d like a do-over.

Week 7

Navarro: Stanford at Notre Dame. I’ve never been to South Bend, and tagging along with the Cardinal for a rivalry game — these teams have played every (non-pandemic) season dating back to 1988 — seems like the perfect time to check out Troy Taylor’s team.

Raynor: This is where it gets tricky. Stanford-Notre Dame is the game I’d most want to see, but if I can’t see the same team two weeks in a row, I need to save up for Notre Dame-Georgia Tech in Week 8. So give me Syracuse at NC State. The Orange are the darlings to make noise in the ACC, and a matchup on the road at NC State in mid-October would show us just how legit Fran Brown’s inaugural team might be.

Week 8

Navarro: NC State at California. I’m not missing Miami-FSU in Week 9, so my tour of the ACC’s three newest programs ends with a trip to Berkeley and a matchup that’s never happened before.

Raynor: Notre Dame at Georgia Tech. Haynes King might be the best quarterback in the ACC in 2024. This is the perfect opportunity to see him live against one of the tougher teams Georgia Tech will face.

Week 9

Navarro: Attending FSU-Miami this week forces me to miss Manny Diaz’s return to South Florida with Duke in Week 10. Bummer.

Raynor: Florida State at Miami. Both teams want to compete for a spot in an expanded Playoff, and this is the best game on the league’s schedule in Week 9, no doubt.

Week 10

Navarro: Louisville at Clemson. I’d like to see the program that collects the most transfers in the league (Louisville) play the one that doesn’t take any (Clemson). And it should be a good matchup.

Raynor: Pitt at SMU. Something tells me Mustangs fans are pumped to be joining a power conference and will bring the energy all season. SMU’s Preston Stone should also be one of the conference’s most exciting quarterbacks.

Week 11

Navarro: Syracuse at Boston College. Having seen both Notre Dame and Florida State already on this tour, I’d take the opportunity to see two new coaches in Fran Brown for the Orange and Bill O’Brien for the Eagles take part in a longstanding rivalry.

Keeping Up With The 315 7-23-24 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian starts the show off today with the Countdown To Fran Brown. With just 39 days remaining, Brian takes the time to go over the teams roster. with new players joining and some leaving this offseason, He takes a dive into positions, numbers, and more. Next, Brian goes even deeper into ‘Cuse Football’s players and their numbers… because they’re important! Finally, Brian wraps up by discussing this years NFL Hard Knocks, as the New York Giants are about to release their third episode detailing the transition from Saquan Barkley.

Orange Head to ACC Kickoff on Thursday - Syracuse University Athletics (cuse.com)

Head Coach Fran Brown will make his ACC Kickoff debut, along with quarterback Kyle McCord, running back LeQuint Allen Jr., defensive back Justin Barron and defensive end Fadil Diggs, for a full-day media circuit from Charlotte.

Here's where you can catch 'Cuse on Thursday.

9:15 a.m. - Head Coach Fran Brown live on ACC Network
10 a.m. - Radio Row *
11 a.m. - Press Conference (live on ACCNX)
11:30 a.m. - Kyle McCord and LeQuint Allen on ACC Network
11:30 a.m. - Player breakout sessions
12:45 p.m. - Justin Barron and Fadil Diggs on ACC Network
12:55 p.m. - Coach Fran on ACC Radio (SiriusXM)
1:20 p.m. - McCord, Barron and Diggs on ACC Radio (SiriusXM)
2 p.m. - Coach Fran on ACC Network

In addition to the aforementioned live hits, the group will spend time with ESPN.com, College Gameday, ACC Network Features, CBS, The CW, in breakout sessions with various media members, the ACC Digital Network and the ACC's social media team.

Brown Visits Orange's Longest Season Ticket Holder - Syracuse University Athletics (cuse.com)

Syracuse head coach Fran Brown surprised Syracuse football's longest season ticket holder with a preseason visit ahead of his first season.

https://allsportsdiscussion.com/202...view-2024-syracuse-football-with-bh_orange44/ (allsportsdiscussion.com; podcast; ASD)

@AllSportsDACC and I (@TalkinACCSports ) have our next spring review and football season preview with the Syracuse Orange. Our good podcast friend @BH_Orange44 (Brian Harrison) joined us to talk about Syracuse, and appreciate him joining.

In this order, these are the topics we covered on the podcast. It’s episode 510

@BH_Orange44 tells us about himself

Thoughts on Syracuse men’s and women’s basketball

Syracuse’s Major strengths coming back

Syracuses’s Major weaknesses coming back

New recruits or transfers of impact

Will Syracuse be better than last year and a look at their 2 most important games.

Pulse of football program

Open Microphone

JMA Wireless Dome receives $3 million for upgraded seating and safety measures (cnycentral.com; La Fiandra)

The JMA Wireless Dome is a statement piece in the Syracuse skyline and a hub for all things Syracuse sports.

On Tuesday, a $3 million investment was announced that will help fans enjoy games and increase safety. Specifically, the money will go towards ADA compliance, fire systems and seats with backs over the familiar benches for stands.

There are only a few bare sections left with the seating; those involved with the project say the details will be out soon (and before football season starts). As for where the Americans with Disabilities compliance comes in, it is making sure the seats work for those with a disability. The rest of the money will go to fire upgrades, making sure fire systems and sprinklers work.

Carl Heastie, Speaker of the New York State Assembly says it is one of the Upstate New York staples that deserves the money for the upgrade.

Knowing how important staples of communities are, that’s why I was supportive of funding the Buffalo Bills stadium, and we were supportive of a funding new baseball stadium in Rochester, and part of that was to do right by the City of Syracuse and Syracuse University.

The impact of that extra $3 million will be palpable to the nearly one million fans who go to the Dome annually.

Syracuse football 2024 roster: See who changed positions, departures, new numbers and more (PS; $; Leiker)

Syracuse football’s 2024 roster is officially live online.

It features 107 players, including a handful of walk-on additions made post-spring practice.

Last year, the Orange rostered 104 players in-season.

A few players have switched positions from either what they played previously for Syracuse or what they were projected to play as new members of the team.

Most notably, Braden Davis is now listed as a wide receiver. He transferred to Syracuse as a quarterback from South Carolina ahead of the 2023 season, but at the end of spring practice worked with the receivers.

“When you’re intelligent like that, do all the things the right way, as a football coach you have to find a place for him,” SU head coach Fran Brown said of Davis after the spring game.

Absent from the 2024 roster is linebacker Kadin Bailey. Bailey spent two seasons at Syracuse appearing mostly on special teams and tallying 27 tackles and a sack.

Though most number changes for returning players occurred prior to spring practice, tight end Max Mang will wear No. 0. Defensive back Jaeden Gould, who previously wore No. 11, is rostered as No. 21.

Here are some of the numbers new members of the team will be wearing:

• Senior defensive back Clarence Lewis, No. 3
  • Freshman quarterback Jakhari Williams, No. 4
  • Freshman tight end Jamie Tremble, No. 13
  • Redshirt junior quarterback Michael Johnson Jr., No. 9
  • Redshirt junior running back Will Nixon, No. 24
  • Freshman linebacker Fatim Diggs, No. 43
  • Redshirt junior offensive lineman Savion Washington, No. 77
The Orange plays its first game of 2024 against Ohio at 3:30 p.m. Aug. 31.

Zaire Franklin named top 100 player in NFL for 2024 (orangefizz.net; Burstein)

When the NFL kicks off the regular season in September, there will be nearly 1700 players on rosters across the 32 teams. So being named a top 100 player in the league (approximately the 94th percentile) is a big honor. And this year Syracuse football is represented in the top 100.

The NFL Top 100, voted on by players across the year, is being released this week, and grabbing the #100 spot on the list is 2018 Syracuse alum and current Indianapolis Colts linebacker Zaire Franklin. It’s Franklin’s first time being ranked in the top 100.

At Syracuse, Franklin was a leader both on and off the field. He played in every game from his freshman to senior year, recording 311 tackles and 31.5 tackles for loss. He also was a three-time captain for the Orange. That had not happened in the program since 1896. Despite his strong seasons, Franklin slid all the way to the 235th pick of the 2019 NFL draft where the Indianapolis Colts selected them.

Since then it’s been an astronomical climb for the Philadelphia native. The real jump came in the 2022 season when Franklin had 167 tackles while starting 17 games. And this past year, he ranked second in the league in tackles with 179.

Even despite the recent struggles that Syracuse football has had, it’s an encouraging sign to see that alumni are making a difference at the next level. And with the strong 2024 class for SU football, there may be a lot more Syracuse in the league next year. A recent mock draft had Fadil Diggs, Oronde Gadsden and Alijah Clark getting picked next season. Quarterback Kyle McCord is also sure to get professional looks.

Get to Know Your Orange Man: #5, DB Alijah Clark (TNIAAM; Tomaiuolo)

It’s time to start preparing for the 2024 Syracuse Orange football season. We’re going through the roster to take a look at each Syracuse player as we get to know a lot of new faces to kick off the Fran Brown Era.

Next up is...

Name: Alijah Clark

Position: Defensive Back

Year: Senior

Height: 6’1”

Weight: 187 lbs.

Hometown: Camden, New Jersey

High School: Camden

Previous College: Rutgers

2023 stats: Made 12 starts at safety 65 tackles; 4.5 tackles for loss, three pass breakups, two fumble recoveries and a forced fumble.

2024 projections: Clark will get the starting nod at safety alongside his high school teammate and incoming transfer Duce Chestnut. The senior highlights one of the most experienced positions on the roster and should feed off the energy that DBs Chestnut and Justin Barron will provide. Clark finished second in tackles amongst defensive backs last year and should remain effective in 2024.

How’d he get here?: Transferred to SU in January 2022 after his freshman year with the Scarlet Knights.

What’d recruiting sites say?: Out of high school, Clark was given four stars from On3, 247Sports and . Three stars from ESPN.

Social Media Info:

Looks like Clark is a big electric car guy:

Get to Know Your Orange Man: #6, QB Kyle McCord (TNIAAM; Ostrowski)

It’s time to start preparing for the 2024 Syracuse Orange football season. We’re going through the roster to take a look at each Syracuse player as we get to know a lot of new faces to kick off the Fran Brown Era.

Next up is...

Name: Kyle McCord

Position: Quarterback

Year: Senior

Height: 6’3”

Weight: 220 lbs.

Hometown: Mt. Laurel, NJ

High School: St. Joseph’s Prep

Previous College: Ohio State

2023 stats: A 65.8% completion rate, 3,170 passing yards, and 24 touchdowns to six interceptions is nothing to gloss over. We can argue about how much the talent around him helped, but McCord led a game-winning drive at Notre Dame and came up just short of a miracle at the Big House (not his fault Michigan chewed seven whole minutes off the clock beforehand and left him with one - no one seems to remember that). Not a Heisman candidate, but certainly an above-average passer, and that's A-OK.

2024 projections: No other player could have re-energized the hype around Syracuse football as much as Kyle McCord has. After finishing one drive shy of the College Football Playoff last year, he’s got to be hungry to prove his critics wrong this year. He’s got a great receiving corps. with Oronde Gadsden, Zeed Haynes, Justus Ross-Simmons, “Thunder Dan” Villari and a lot more to work with. The only thing threatening a great senior campaign is injury - so cross as many fingers and toes as you can that the O-Line holds up in front of him.

How’d he get here?: Shocked the CFB landscape by transferring to Syracuse over Nebraska... but that'll happen when Fran literally flies out to Columbus the day he enters the portal to meet with him.

What’d recruiting sites say?: A five-star? In this economy? That's what On3 said, while the others "only" had McCord as a very high four. Regardless, he was the composite Number 5 QB in the Class of 2021, and a Top-3 prospect overall out of Pennsylvania.

Money quote:

There's been a ton of praise for McCord from teammates and coaches alike, but I think QBs Coach Nunzio Campanile says it all here.

“I mean, he's got a lot of strengths. But he's a really accurate passer. He's really smart. He's doing a great job of understanding the scheme... I've been super impressed with his leadership, his work ethic, his preparation. I mean, he carries himself like a pro every day. And I think he's a great example to the guys in the room."

Syracuse football 2024 opponent preview: Virginia Tech Hokies (TNIAAM; Ostrowski)

Syracuse Orange football fans can rejoice as they’ll finally get a chance to see Fran Brown’s squad in action again after they spend all of October playing away from the Dome. Following an extra couple of days recovering from their trip to the Pitt of Misery, the Orange exit (natural) light and enter the Loud House for what should be one of the more anticipated matchups of the season. Top QBs face vaunted defenses, Orange decides whether it looks better with Navy or Maroon, and the crowd gets their turkey a few weeks early by rattling the...

Virginia Tech Hokies

School: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Nickname: Hokies

Mascot: The HokieBird

#BRAND Slogans: #Hokies, #ThisIsHome

Alternate #BRAND Slogan Suggestions: #WeAreTheNight, #MaroonCorps or “The Most Exciting 55 Seconds in College Football” (Touch Grass Dabo)

Recommended Blog: Gobbler Country

Conference: ACC

History vs. Syracuse: The Hokies and Orange first traded blows when they were both Independents, made it a yearly occurrence in the Big East, then have barely played each other since reuniting in the ACC. SU leads the series 11-9, with an 8-2 mark at home (7-2 at Dome), while the Hokies added their seventh win in 10 tries at Lane Stadium last season. Notable ‘Cuse victories include McNabb and Brominski walking it off in ‘98, Troy Nunes himself throwing a career-high 403 yards to beat a #8 VT in 2002, and two scores in the last three minutes to stun the Blacksburg crowd in 2021.

Coach: Brent Pry, third season. The former defensive mastermind at Penn State, Pry got the Hokies to a bowl in just his second year on the job. His defenses were always the strong suit of the Nittany Lions during the eight years he spent there, and he’s brought that same mindset to VT. Prior Division 1 stops also include Vanderbilt, Georgia Southern, Memphis, Louisiana-Lafayette, and this same Hokies program as a grad assistant. Pry played part of his college ball as a SUNY Buffalo DB and lettered as a junior before an injury cut his senior season short.

Syracuse football scholarship linebacker, son of former NFL player no longer rostered (PS; $; Leiker)

A former scholarship player for Syracuse football will not be with the team in 2024.

Kadin Bailey, who’d been a rising junior linebacker, was not listed on the Orange’s new roster that released online Tuesday.

Bailey is the son of Boss Bailey and nephew of Champ Bailey, who played linebacker and cornerback, respectively, in the NFL during the late ‘90s and early 2000s. Boss Bailey was a second-round pick by the Detroit Lions in 2003, and Champ Bailey was a first-round pick by the then-Washington Redskins in 1999.

In his two seasons at Syracuse, Bailey appeared mostly on special teams. He did occasionally see time on defense and totaled 27 tackles.

Bailey had a strong performance in the Orange’s Pinstripe Bowl loss to cap his freshman season in 2022. He made five solo tackles and had a sack in SU’s loss to Minnesota.

He appeared in just four games in 2023, one less than he did in 2022. His overall defensive grade from Pro Football Focus for the season was 70.1%.

The transfer portal closed to new entrants at the end of April and does not re-open until after the end of the 2024 regular season.

Cooperstown native named new play-by-play voice of Pittsburgh Steelers (PS; Mackey)

Rob King will never forget the setting — pumping gas at an Amoco station in St. Louis. The same for the creative possibilities a friend’s suggestion spurred.

Nearing the end of his time at Washington University in the late 1980s, King was actually considering business school when his career took a sharp left turn.

“I didn’t want to accrue more debt, and my friend said, ‘Why don’t you become a TV sportscaster?’” King recalled. “It had literally never occurred to me. I guess I figured the people you see on TV and in movies were from another planet.”

The Pittsburgh Steelers named King the next play-by-play voice of the team last week following the legendary Bill Hillgrove’s retirement at the season’s end.

King isn’t from another planet. He grew up obsessed with sports and reading in Cooperstown, N.Y. But over the past two dozen years, he’s become an indispensable part of the sports media landscape in Pittsburgh.

Find me someone who says they don’t like Rob King, and chances are they’re lying. He’s a consummate pro, smooth and genuine, a younger version of the late Stan Savran and someone who will do a fantastic job succeeding Hillgrove as the Steelers’ next play-by-play man.

“When he walks into a room, there’s a presence,” former Pirates catcher and current SportsNet Pittsburgh analyst Michael McKenry said. “His demeanor and everything kind of flows through the office.”

I met up with King last month at Kelly O’s in Warrendale to discuss his career path and how he has become one of the most respected sports voices in the city.

That pit stop was one thing that resonated with me. So was the $75 sports broadcasting course he took at a local junior college once his tank was full.

Yes, seriously.

King was an all-conference quarterback at Washington University and majored in English literature ... but paved the way for his TV future with something completely random.

“I have my degree,” King said. “But that class helped me quite a bit.”

An internship at a local sports station and transition from producing to on-air work followed. King moved closer to home and spent five years at the CBS affiliate in Syracuse, N.Y., before returning to the Midwest to work for a Fox-owned TV station that handled St. Louis and Pittsburgh sports teams. The move here came in 2000.

Syracuse football's 10 best kickers of all-time per ChatGPT (247sports.com; McAllister)

Syracuse has had strong special teams throughout its history, including a lot of very productive kickers. In part nine of our ChatGPT series on the best players in Syracuse history at each position, place kicker is up next.

Simply doing our ranking of the 10 best players at a specific position is too stale. It has been done a million times, and so we are doing so with a little twist to make it more fun. We are utilizing artificial intelligence (AI) to come up with the list.

That's right. We asked ChatGPT who the 10 best players in Syracuse history at each position to come up with the list. We used the phrase (Syracuse football's 10 best [Position]), and will display the results here. Some are straightforward and expected. They make perfect sense and fit in line with what most Syracuse fans would have. Some results, however, are quite the opposite. It makes for an entertaining list that will provoke thoughts and laughter alike.

We count backwards from 10 all the way up to the top spot. We also include players that were omitted but deserved consideration. Note that we displayed the results exactly as ChatGPT produced them, not correcting for errors or duplicates.

10. RYAN LICHTENSTEIN

Player: Ryan Lichtenstein
Years: 2009-2012
Stats: 27-28 XPs, 13-17 FGs, 66 points, 5 punts, 144 yards, 28.8 avg
ChatGPT Comments: Kicker in the early 2000s who was known for his accuracy on field goals and extra points.
Our thoughts: Ryan Lichtenstein had a strong freshman season as a walk-on kicker making 13 of 17 field goals. However, following that season, kicking duties were turned over to Ross Krautman and he was a backup kicker for the rest of his Syracuse career. While he did have a solid year as a freshman, the fact that he lost his job and did not play much over his final three seasons means he should not have been included on this list. Especially when you look at who was omitted.

9. JAN STENERUD

Player: Jan Stenerud
Years: 1965-1966
Stats: N/A
ChatGPT Comments: Norwegian-born kicker who played for Syracuse in the 1960s before embarking on a Hall of Fame career in the NFL.
Our thoughts: Jan Stenerud is absolutely considered one of the best kickers of all time. He played in the NFL for 19 seasons, making 373 field goals and 580 extra points during his career. He is a Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee. The problem? He played for Montana State not Syracuse. Therefore he does not belong on this list. An interesting side note is that Stenerud actually went to Montana State on a ski jumping scholarship and did not try out for the football team until his junior year.

8. GREG MONTGOMERY

Player: Greg Montgomery
Years: 1985-1987
Stats: 170 punts, 7,721 yards, 45.4 avg.
ChatGPT Comments: Punter in the mid-1980s known for his booming kicks and ability to control field position.
Our thoughts: Perhaps ChatGPT believes punters and kickers are the same position. Either way, Greg Montgomery was a really good college punter. The issue here is that he played for Michigan State, not Syracuse. The ChatGPT description is accurate, but he does not belong on this list as he did not play for the Orange.

7. COLE MURPHY

Player: Cole Murphy
Years: 2014-2017
Stats: 118-123 XPs, 59-83 FGs, 295 points
ChatGPT Comments: Kicker from 2014 to 2017, ranks third in career field goals made (59) and was known for his reliability in crucial situations.
Our thoughts: Cole Murphy left Syracuse as the program's leader in field goals made. He currently ranks second in that category after Andre Szmyt passed him in 2022. Murphy is also top 10 in field goal percentage in program history. His 20 field goals made in 2017 is tied for second in a single season at Syracuse. Cole Murphy absolutely deserves to be on this list.

6. COLLIN BARBER

Player: Collin Barber
Years: 2001-2004
Stats: 111-119 XPs, 42-64 FGs, 237 points
ChatGPT Comments: Punter from 2012 to 2015 who was known for his consistency and ability to pin opponents deep in their own territory.
Our thoughts: Collin Barber ranks seventh in Syracuse history in field goals made and is 10th on the program's field goal percentage list. Despite playing on some teams that took a step back from what the Orange had been in the 90s, Barber continued Syracuse's lineage of really strong, productive college kickers. Barber's inclusion makes a lot of sense as a result.

5. PAT O'NEILL

Player: Pat O'Neill
Years: 1990-1993
Stats: 155 punts, 6,365 yards, 41.1 avg., 32-32 XPs, 10-18 FGs, 62 points
ChatGPT Comments: Punter and kicker in the late 1990s who was known for his strong leg and ability to flip the field.
Our thoughts: Pat O'Neill is certainly one of the better punters in Syracuse football history. He was on some really good teams in the early 90s and had a reputation of having a strong leg. While he did do some kicking as a senior, making 31 extra points and 10 field goals, he does not belong on the list of best kickers in Orange history. Best punters, certainly. Not best kickers, however.

4. ROSS KRAUTMAN

Player: Ross Krautman
Years: 2010-2013
Stats: 111-115 XPs, 49-63 FGs, 258 points
ChatGPT Comments: Kicker from 2010 to 2013, holds records for most consecutive extra points made (106) and most field goals in a season (18).
Our thoughts: Ross Krautman ranks fifth in Syracuse history in field goals made and is tied for third in a single season when he made 18 in 2010. Krautman is also third on the Orange's all-time list making 77.8% of his kicks. He is also tied for the best single season mark with Gary Anderson at 94.7% (2010). Krautman absolutely deserves to be on this list.

3. PETE RAUB

Player: Pete Raub
Years: ???
Stats: ???
ChatGPT Comments: Kicker in the late 1960s and early 1970s who was known for his clutch kicking and accuracy.
Our thoughts: Is this a made up player? Several google searches yielded no results on who Pete Raub is, who he played for, or if he even exists as a football player. This is a significant failure by ChatGPT/AI.

2. NATE TROUT

Player: Nate Trout
Years: 1996-1999
Stats: 187-195 XPs, 49-65 FGs, 334 points
ChatGPT Comments: Kicker in the early 2000s who holds several Syracuse records, including most field goals in a season (23).
Our thoughts: Nate Trout is fourth on Syracuse football's all-time field goals made list. He is also fifth in field goal percentage. Trout was a consistent kicker on some Big East Championship teams in the mid to late 90s, leading the Big East in extra points for his first three seasons including finishing third nationally in 1998. He deserves to be included on this list, though putting him second may be higher than most would have him.

1. GARY ANDERSON

Player: Gary Anderson
Years: 1979-1981
Stats: 72-72 XPs, 42-56 FGs, 198 points
ChatGPT Comments: A standout kicker in the late 1970s known for his accuracy and strong leg. Went on to have a highly successful NFL career.
Our thoughts: Despite playing nearly 50 years ago, Gary Anderson is still seventh on Syracuse's list of field goals made, sixth in field goal percentage, third for single season field goals and first for single season field goal percentage. Simply put, Gary Anderson is in the discussion for one of the best kickers in football history. He retired as the NFL's all-time leader in points and currently ranks third on that list after spending 23 seasons in the NFL.

OMISSIONS

Andre Szmyt is the all-time leader in field goals made and field goal percentage at Syracuse. He is also the single season record holder for most field goals made with 30 in 2018. Szmyt is also the only Orange player to ever win the Lou Groza Award, given annually to college football's best kicker. His exclusion is insane as he would be in the discussion for the top spot by most.

ACC News

CBS Picks for 2024 ACC Football (RX; HM)

CBS Picks for 2024 ACC Football

From CBS Sports: "2024 ACC win totals" of June 28th, 2024, here's how they see the ACC football season shaping up:
ACCALL
ACC TEAMW-LW-LLosses (OOC in bold)
Clemson10-27-1Georgia, FSU
Florida State10-27-1Miami, Notre Dame
NC State10-27-1Tennessee, Clemson
SMU10-27-1TCU, FSU
Virginia Tech10-27-1Rutgers, Clemson
Louisville9-36-2Notre Dame, SMU, Clemson
Miami9-36-2Florida, Va Tech, Louisville
North Carolina8-45-3Minnesota, GT, FSU, NC State
Cal7-54-4Auburn, FSU, Miami,
NC State, SMU
Georgia Tech5-73-5FSU, Louisville, Notre Dame,
VT, Miami, NC State, Georgia
Syracuse6-62-6GT, NC State, Pitt, VT, Cal, Miami
Pitt5-72-6WVU, UNC, Cal, SMU, Clemson,
Louisville, BC
Wake Forest5-72-6Ole Miss, NC State, Clemson,
Stanford, Cal, UNC, Miami
Boston College4-82-6FSU, Mizzou, Michigan St, VT,
Louisville, Syracuse, SMU, UNC
Stanford3-91-7TCU, Syracuse, Clemson, VT, Notre Dame,
SMU, NC State, Louisville, Cal
Duke4-80-8UNC, GT, FSU, SMU, Miami,
NC State, VT, Wake
Virginia2-100-8Wake, Maryland, BC, Louisville, Clemson,
UNC, Pitt, Notre Dame, SMU, VT

Best/Worst 2024 Home Schedule (RX; HM)

Best/Worst 2024 Home Schedule

Can we use math to determine who has the best and worst home schedules this year? You know it!

Who has the Best Home Schedule? Who has the worst? For this excercise, I'm using the same point system I used in my 2020 Best/Worst Home Schedule analysis [LINK]. In case you don't remember,

here's my scoring:
rival/marquee P5 = 4
meaningful P5 = 3
rival/marquee G5 = 3
random P5 team = 2
meaningful G5 = 2
random G5 team = 1
meaningful FCS = 1
random FCS team = 0.5

With that in mind, here are the home schedules of each ACC team, along with point values for each match-up (and top-rated games in bold):

2024 ACC Home Schedulesscore
Boston College18.5
09/07/24Duquesne0.5
09/21/24Michigan State4
09/28/24Western Kentucky1
10/25/24Louisville* (FR)3
11/09/24Syracuse*4
11/23/24North Carolina*3
11/30/24Pitt*3
California20
08/31/24UC Davis1
09/14/24San Diego State2
10/05/24Miami FL*4
10/19/24NC State*3
10/26/24Oregon State3
11/16/24Syracuse*3
11/23/24Stanford*4
Clemson19
09/07/24App State1
09/21/24NC State*4
09/28/24Stanford*3
10/19/24Virginia*3
11/02/24Louisville*3
11/23/24The Citadel1
11/30/24South Carolina4
Duke17
08/30/24Elon (FR)1
09/14/24UConn1
09/28/24North Carolina*4
10/18/24Florida State* (FR)4
10/26/24SMU*3
11/23/24Virginia Tech*4
Florida State19.5
09/02/24Boston Coll.* (MO)3
09/14/24Memphis2
09/21/24Cal*3
10/05/24Clemson*4
11/02/24North Carolina*3
11/23/24Charleston So.0.5
11/30/24Florida4
Georgia Tech16.5
08/31/24Georgia State2
09/14/24VMI0.5
10/05/24Duke*3
10/19/24Notre Dame4
11/09/24Miami FL*4
11/21/24NC State* (TH)3
Louisville14
08/31/24Austin Peay0.5
09/07/24Jacksonville St0.5
09/21/24Georgia Tech*3
10/05/24SMU*3
10/19/24Miami FL*4
11/23/24Pitt*3
Miami16
09/07/24Florida A&M1
09/14/24Ball State1
09/27/24Virginia Tech* (FR)4
10/26/24Florida State*4
11/02/24Duke*3
11/23/24Wake Forest*3
North Carolina17
09/07/24Charlotte2
09/14/24N.C. Central1
09/21/24James Madison1
10/05/24Pitt*3
10/12/24Georgia Tech*3
11/16/24Wake Forest*3
11/30/24NC State*4
NC State17
08/29/24W. Carolina (TH)1
09/14/24Louisiana Tech1
09/28/24Northern Illinois1
10/05/24Wake Forest*4
10/12/24Syracuse*3
11/02/24Stanford*3
11/09/24Duke*4
Pitt20
08/31/24Kent State1
09/14/24West Virginia4
09/21/24Youngstown State1
10/12/24Cal*3
10/24/24Syracuse* (TH)4
11/09/24Virginia*3
11/16/24Clemson*4
SMU21
08/31/24Houston Christian1
09/06/24BYU (FR)3
09/21/24TCU4
09/28/24Florida State*4
11/02/24Pitt*3
11/16/24Boston College*3
11/30/24Cal*3
Stanford16
08/30/24TCU (FR)3
09/07/24Cal Poly1
10/05/24Virginia Tech*3
10/19/24SMU*3
10/26/24Wake Forest*3
11/16/24Louisville*3
Syracuse17.5
08/31/24Ohio1
09/07/24Georgia Tech*3
09/20/24Stanford* (FR)3
09/28/24Holy Cross0.5
11/02/24Virginia Tech*4
11/23/24UConn2
11/30/24Miami FL*4

Would Big XII help FSU avoid a CFP snub? (RX; HM)

Would Big XII help FSU avoid a CFP snub?

Now that it's become apparent that the money angle holds no water, some Big XII fanboys are claiming that 13-0 Florida State wouldn't have been passed over if the Noles were in their conference. Last year, sure, because to do that they would've had to eliminate Texas, but in the future? Nah! Why not? Look at past conference champs which have been passed over by the CFP Selection Committee:

Conference champs kept out of the playoffs:
YearBig XIIPac-12B1GACCOther
2014Baylor+TCU
(both 11-1)
2015Stanford
(11-2)
Houston
(12-1)
2016Oklahoma
(10-2)
Penn State
(11-2)
Temple
(10-3)
2017USC
(11-2)
Ohio State
(11-2)
UCF
(12-0)
2018Washington
(10-3)
Ohio State
(12-1)
UCF
(12-0)
2019Oregon
(11-2)
2020Oklahoma
(8-2)
Oregon
(4-2 )
Cincinnati
(9-0)
2021Baylor
(11-2)
Utah
(10-3)
Pitt
(11-2)
Notre Dame
(11-1)
2022Kansas St
(10-3)
Utah
(10-3)
Clemson
(11-2)
2023Florida St
(13-0)
SMU
(11-2)

First thing you notice is that six Big XII champs have been left out of the playoffs (if you count both co-champs in 2014), whereas only 3 ACC champs have been snubbed. Admittedly, no undefeated power champion has been left out before 2023-24, but you can also say it will never happen again under the new 12-team playoffs, either.

ACC Football Kickoff: Everything Brent Pry said at the podium on Tuesday (247sports.com; VTScoop247)

On Tuesday, Virginia Tech Head Coach Brent Pry took to the podium during the second day of the ACC Football Kickoff live from the Hilton Uptown Charlotte in Charlotte, N.C. Pry was joined by quarterback Kyron Drones, cornerback Dorian Strong, and edge rusher Antwaun Powell-Ryland.

"We've got some good momentum, but we are nowhere near where we need to be," Pry said while at the podium to kick off his press conference.

"We need to have a heck of a camp. The guys have a great mindset, invested everywhere they need to be invested. I'm excited about the team that we can be."

To read the entire transcript, continue reading. If accessing the article from The Tunnel, click the link to view the entire article.
Q. Going into year three, what have you achieved with this program and what is still out there?
BRENT PRY: I think first of all, it speaks volumes to the culture in our locker room, in our building. We've got great people that want to be at Tech for the right reasons, players and coaches.
We've got players that decided to return and spurn the NFL, spurn other opportunities, maybe to make more money. We have coaches that turned down opportunities to stay at Virginia Tech. There's a belief in our team. There's a belief in our process. The culture is strong. To me, that's where it starts.

Q. How do you define 'accomplish greatness'?
BRENT PRY: I think first of all for me it's about doing things the right way, at a high level. We're doing that. We have great kids that are committed in the right places, that understand accountability, that aren't afraid of hard conversations, that love and understand what great competition does for you.
They pay attention to details, and they work and are receptive to coaching mentality each and every day.

Q. Your last post before this, you were a defensive coordinator at Penn State under James Franklin and Manny Diaz was the defensive coordinator there. He gets an opportunity as a head coach at Duke. Full-circle moment. What does that say about the way James Franklin runs his program?
BRENT PRY: First of all, James Franklin I consider to be one of my best friends. We came up in this business together. He played quarterback for my father at East Stroudsburg. I was a young coach on his staff. He gave me a great opportunity at Vanderbilt and then Penn State.
I learned a ton from James. He has done a great job. Ricky Rahne at Old Dominion, Charles Huff at Marshall. He's doing things the right way. I have a ton of respect for him and Manny. Wish him a ton of luck all season long, except for one week (smiling).

Column: ACC commissioner Jim Phillips’ public shots at FSU and Clemson prove relationship is beyond repair (tomahawknation.com; Silversmith)

LOL Jordan, you are as delusional as the FSU legal staff...

Out of one side of Commissioner Jim Phillips’ mouth: “I think very highly of Rick McCullough, I think very highly of Michael Alford. It has not changed my working relationship with them at all,”

“We are not going to treat any school any differently.”

Out of the other: “These disputes continue to be extremely damaging, disruptive, and incredibly harmful to the league, as well as overshadowing our student-athletes and the incredible successes taking place on the field and within the conference.”

On Monday, Phillips stole the show to fire back at the attacks and lawsuits from Florida State and Clemson. While he said the ACC had never been in a better place from a revenue perspective (the conference crossed the $700 million revenue threshold last year) or from a television perspective, making sure to thank ESPN during his address (“our relationship has never been stronger. We are proud to be aligned with the most innovative and forward-thinking partners in the business”), he came off emotional and threatened.

While projecting that his goal was to preach unity, he turned up the heat. His main goal became clear: to keep the other 15 schools from leaving and alienate the other two. His plea did not sound like someone who thought the relationship between the two schools could be solved, knowing that decision day loomed for the Tigers and Seminoles.

It sounded more for UNC, Miami, or NC State.

The Commissioner’s focus revolves around the survival of the conference. While he did not say it explicitly, he mentioned, “This has been a league that started way before me, 71 years ago, and it will be a league that will be around a long time after I depart.” He used his time to convince the next round of potential lawsuits to spend their money on something else besides billable hours.

It will take a while for FSU and Clemson to leave; ESPN’s Pete Thamel reported yesterday that neither will announce their departure before August 15th, the 2025-26 athletic season deadline. The ACC wants the legal process to play out, and they have a strong case with signatures from both universities on a document.

BOZICH | Boldly predicting ACC Football order of finish as Louisville travels to Media Days (wdrb.com;; Bozich)

The Atlantic Coast Conference Football Kickoff event launched in Charlotte, N.C., Monday. It will stretch through Thursday afternoon.

Louisville will share the stage with Miami, Boston College, Duke and Wake Forest on Wednesday. Coach Jeff Brohm, quarterback Tyler Shough, cornerback Quincy Riley and defensive end Ashton Gillotte will represent the Cards.

Our Eric Crawford and sports director Tyler Greever will have complete coverage on WDRB, WDRB.com and multiple social media platforms after they arrive in Charlotte Tuesday evening.

Participating media will be assigned the task of predicting the order of finish for the 17 programs with the league adding three teams this season. The results will not be tabulated and released until Monday.

Who has time to wait?

Not me.

This is how I would complete my ballot:

1. Florida State (13-1 last season) — The Seminoles are perturbed. They are perturbed they were snubbed in the College Football Playoff last year after quarterback Jordan Travis was injured. They are perturbed by their inability to escape the ACC. Mike Norvell proved his coaching chops again last season. He scored big in the transfer portal. And he’s counting on quarterback DJ Uiagalelei to perform better in Tallahassee than he did at Clemson and Oregon State.

2. Clemson (9-4) — Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence directed the Tigers to great things but the quarterback play at Clemson has slipped in recent seasons. Maybe Cade Klubnik will take a step forward. But he averaged only 6.3 yards per passing attempt last season and the Tigers averaged less than 24 points in ACC games. Dabo Swinney’s reluctance to embrace the transfer portal has become a talking point in the league.

3. Louisville (10-4) — If Tyler Shough can stay healthy, the Cards should have stronger quarterback play. The receiving room seems to be deeper and more talented. Riley and Gillotte are first-team all-ACC players. Jeff Brohm has another solid squad — and returned his entire coaching staff.

4. SMU (11-3) — Welcome to the ACC, Mustangs. You’ve handed over generational wealth to be part of the action so I have not doubt SMU will be determined to win from Day One. Rhett Lashlee is a respected offensive mind, who returns 14 starters from a team that won 11 games. Preston Stone is the quarterback and SMU’s game here Oct. 5 will be telling.

5. North Carolina State (9-4) — Dave Doeren always has the Wolfpack on the fringe of contention, winning at least eight games six times in the last seven seasons. He plucked quarterback Grayson McCall away from Coastal Carolina and also snagged halfback Jordan Waters, who ran for 819 yards at Duke last season. The Wolfpack will be at the top of the second tier.

6. Miami (7-6) — The Hurricanes will likely be picked to finish third because Mario Cristobal typically crushes it in the high school and transfer recruiting rankings. But he’s been a colossal underachiever as a coach for two seasons. I’ll need more proof but the Hurricanes always benefit from excess hype.

7. Virginia Tech (7-6) — The Hokies wobbled to a 2-4 start and then won five of their last seven — all by 17 or more points. The Hokies return 19 starters. They don’t play Florida State, Louisville, North Carolina State or SMU. They are positioned to succeed.

8. North Carolina (8-5) — Mack Brown did not win big with Sam Howell. He did not win big with Drake Maye. The Tar Heels do not have an NFL ready quarterback this season. Brown, who will turn 73 next month, is one of three active coaches to win a national title but he’s not going to win another ACC title. He’s lost his fastball.

9. Georgia Tech (7-6) — Haynes King, a transfer from Texas A&M, developed into one of the top quarterbacks in the ACC, helping the Yellow Jackets average 14 more points per game than they did in 2022. Tech’s trip to U of L Sept. 21 will be a key moment for both squads after U of L had to rally in the second half to win the season opener in Atlanta last season.

10. California (6-7) — The Berkeley campus is 19 miles from Ocean Beach, California so the Bears will have to be travel warriors, navigating trips to Florida State, Pitt, Wake Forest and SMU (in addition to a non-league game at Auburn). Justin Wilcox is the coach. The Bears last winning season was 2019. Welcome to the ACC.

11. Wake Forest (4-8) —Like Doeron at N.C. State, Dave Clawson has earned respect by putting together a consistently solid product in Winston Salem. The Demon Deacons have questions at quarterback but Clawson usually wins with defense, special teams and fundamentals.

12. Pittsburgh (3-9) — The Panthers endured a miserable 2023 — except for one rainy October Saturday night at Acrisure Stadium against Louisville. Quarterback Christian Veilleux, the director of that upset, bolted for Georgia State after the season leaving coach Pat Narduzzi looking for the next Dan Marino.

13. Boston College (7-6) — Bill O’Brien walked away from Penn State to coach the Houston Texans. He’s worked for Nick Saban at Alabama and Ryan Day at Ohio State. If he wanted a real shot to prove he is offensive mastermind, O’Brien will have that at BC.

14. Syracuse (6-7) — New coach Fran Brown arrives from Kirby Smart’s staff at Georgia, without 5-star recruits that have allowed the Bulldogs to rule the SEC. Quarterback Kyle McCord, who bailed on Ohio State before its bowl game, will run the offense.

Other

The Essential Guide to Syracuse’s I-81 Project: Timing for each section, maps (PS; $; Breidenbach)

The massive project to tear down the elevated Interstate 81 in Syracuse is scheduled to happen in 8 stages worth $2.25 billion from now until the end of 2028. The state Department of Transportation has estimated the start and end times for each stage, highlighted below.

The DOT broke the massive project into 8 different contracts, to be completed by separate teams of workers on separate stretches of highway.

The end goal is to tear down the elevated 1.4-mile bridge that runs through downtown and disperse traffic throughout city streets. But first, the state is reworking the city’s ring road - Interstate 481 - to handle more high-speed traffic around the city. The project also comes with millions of dollars worth of improvements to bridges over I-81 and sidewalks, lighting and bike paths along the highway.

Work has already begun at the northern and southern interchanges, where I-81 connects with I-481. The state DOT has announced the winner of the fourth contract, for work on part of I-690 and roads leading to Syracuse University.

This table shows the projected start and end dates for each contract.

New brand-name hotel proposed in northern Onondaga County (PS; $; Doran)

A developer is proposing to build a new four-story Marriott hotel in Clay on the same site where the Townplace Suites now operates.

North Syracuse Lodging Group LLC wants to build the 162-room hotel at 8505 Pepperidge Way, off Carling Road in Clay.

It would be constructed on the eastern part of the site, on about five acres, according to the application submitted to the town.

It would have a connecting driveway to Townplace Suites, another Marriott brand-hotel. That hotel was built in 2018.

The site is located off Route 31, behind Outback Steakhouse and Barnes and Noble.

The town of Clay planning board will be reviewing the proposal at its meeting Wednesday night.

XB3BANG4TZD6NH7CJG6NOTUON4.jpg

One beef and one chicken birria taco with two varieties of salsa and a cup of consommé at Birria QuesaTacos SYR on West Onondaga Street in Syracuse. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)(Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Hidden Gems of CNY: She sold tacos out of her house, now she’s feeding the masses (PS; $; Miller)

Wherever Candelaria Cibrian cooked her tacos, a line followed.

It started about four years ago when she started making birria tacos in her home using the recipe her father created in Mexico. A line formed out the door and stretched down Shonnard Street.

The same thing happened when Candelaria turned a spot in the Syracuse Test Kitchen into Birria QuesaTacos SYR. Customers routinely cleaned out her inventory within a couple hours.

Fast forward to last year’s Taste of Syracuse. Her weekend’s supply was depleted by dinnertime on the first day. At this year’s downtown food festival, the line at her makeshift taco stand constantly hovered around 25 deep.

“Everyone told me I needed to start selling my food for an actual living,” Candelaria said. “Finally I listened to them.”

In January, she leased a building that sits a block outside of downtown Syracuse, where West Onondaga Street t-bones with West Street. A tax prep company had occupied half of the cinder-block structure, and Joe’s To Go served down-home cooking from the other side until it closed for good during the Covid pandemic.

E7D764GCBVFPPGWNGWBVQYVKY4.jpg

One Webster's Landing contains 34 one-bedroom apartments, all featuring brick walls, large windows, hardwood floors and granite countertops. (Rick Moriarty | rmoriarty@syracuse.com)

Brick walls and lots of big windows: Peek inside new apartments in historic Syracuse building (PS; $; Moriarty)

If you find brick walls and large windows in historic buildings attractive, the apartments in One Webster’s Landing in Syracuse may be for you.

The building’s owner, VIP Structures, recently completed construction of 34 one-bedroom apartments in the five-story building.

All feature brick walls, multiple large windows that bring in loads of natural light (one unit has 12), high ceilings (up to 13 feet), red oak floors, granite counters, stainless steel appliances, and washers and dryers. Some also have exposed wooden support timbers. Shades are pre-installed on all those windows.

Monthly rents range from $1,650 to $2,100. On-site parking is $100 extra a month. Basement storage units are available for $40 a month. Use of the building’s fitness center is included in the rent.

Views of the downtown, lakefront and North Side skylines are no extra charge. Neither are the excellent views tenants will have of the upcoming Interstate 81 reconstruction project.

One Webster’s Landing was until last year home to VIP’s offices. The construction, engineering and architectural firm moved in the winter of 2023 to the former Post-Standard building in nearby Clinton Square.

Construction on the apartments, a $7 million project, began a year ago.

RE: Best Home Schedule scoring - am I correct in saying the Ohio U and Holy Cross barely move the needle for Syracuse fans, and that UConn (football) is a "meh" game? FWIW, I would've rated Holy Cross and UConn higher for BC, but I didn't see them as good opponents for the Orange.

RE: Best Home Schedule scoring - am I correct in saying the Ohio U and Holy Cross barely move the needle for Syracuse fans, and that UConn (football) is a "meh" game? FWIW, I would've rated Holy Cross and UConn higher for BC, but I didn't see them as good opponents for the Orange.
Ohio has been one of the top programs in the MAC for years and this was expected to be a competitive game. But they were gutted by losses from the portal and the game doesn't look to be as interesting now.

Holy Cross is not good and just lost their coach (we almost hired him). Yes, that will be a good game for the families of the players on the second and third team for Syracuse.

UConn isn't as awful as they were under Davies but they aren't very good and I don't think Syracuse fans have any respect for their football program. If this was basketball, it would be a big deal. For football, there is little interest seeing them.