Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
disneyjohnnybible.jpg

Welcome to Johnny Appleseed Day!

Johnny Appleseed Day celebrates the famous apple tree planter, whose real name was John Chapman. It is celebrated on two days—March 11 and September 26. Some sources list Johnny Appleseed's death day as March 11, but some list it as March 18, 1845. Johnny Appleseed Day is either celebrated on March 11 because it is the anniversary of his death, or because it is during planting season. Johnny Appleseed's birthday is September 26, in 1774, so that is why it is also celebrated on that day.

Appleseed did not simply scatter apple seeds on the ground, but planted nurseries, left them in the care of someone else, and returned every few years to check on them. Appleseed planted and introduced apples to the "West", which were areas where few Americans lived at the time. Appleseed planted trees in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, and West Virginia, as well as in Ontario. He was against grafting, and most of the apples that he planted were used to make hard apple cider, which was a safe alternative to water on the frontier.

SU News

Syracuse’s offseason roster moves reunited 3 New Jersey little league champions: ‘You all got something good’ (PS; $; Leiker)

While on his December visit to Syracuse, quarterback Kyle McCord answered a phone call from an old friend.

It was Duce Chestnut.

The former Orange cornerback, still on the roster at LSU at the time of the call, told McCord he was considering a second entry into the transfer portal. He wanted to come back to Syracuse.

A few players were by McCord’s side during the call, all from New Jersey: edge rusher Fadil Diggs, also visiting as a transfer, safety Alijah Clark and edge rusher Denis Jaquez.

There wasn’t much back-and-forth between the two sides. Chestnut just needed confirmation a reunion was happening.

“It was just kind of crazy just to see all the guys that I grew up playing with now coming back and being on the same team,” McCord said.

While the strings connecting this year’s Syracuse football roster throughout their football journeys are overwhelming, one grouping stands out: McCord, Chestnut and Jaquez.

In 2015, the trio steamrolled opponents in their New Jersey little league conference playing for the Pennsauken Youth Athletic Activities (PYAA) Panthers, going undefeated and winning a championship.

To their then-coaches, Darryl Jackson and James Drain, the three are remembered as some of the best in the organization’s history. The traits that made them stand out as players then are the same that define them as three starters for Syracuse heading into Saturday’s game against Holy Cross.

McCord, the quarterback with a slingshot arm who chooses his moments of vocal leadership with purpose; Chestnut, the flashy playmaker with a bold personality and good dance moves; Jaquez, the work horse and team player who held down the line.

The reunion has brought joy to the trio, their families and their former coaches. The bond they share from their little league days has helped create fast chemistry on a team that underwent a massive roster overall this offseason.

“It felt like nostalgia just hit out of nowhere,” Jaquez said. “Guys who I consider best friends, guys who are gonna be at my wedding one day. It just felt awesome, and it makes you wanna play so much better ‘cause you have that relationship with the man next to you.”

Syracuse quarterback Kyle McCord grappling with a rare loss: ‘I didn’t sleep for a few days’ (PS; $; Carlson)

Syracuse quarterback Kyle McCord hasn’t had a chance to bounce back from a loss as a starting quarterback since his junior year of high school. He isn’t having a particularly easy time of it.

McCord said on Tuesday night that he has struggled to sleep since the Orange’s 26-24 loss to Stanford last Friday. His demeanor since then has been serious, despite the fact that he put up strong numbers against the Cardinal.

“I didn’t sleep for a few days honestly,” McCord said. “Just frustrated. I don’t feel like that was a game we should have lost necessarily. On the bright side of things, the last time (I) lost I had to wait a whole eight months to play and the season was over in a way. We have a chance to go out this week and right the ship a little bit. Everything that we set out to do this year, team goals-wise, is still in front of us.”

The loss to Stanford is one of just six losses that McCord, an Ohio State transfer, has experienced in his four-year college career. It’s only his second as a starting quarterback.

The other was a defeat against Michigan last year in Ohio State’s final regular-season game. McCord did not play in the team’s bowl game.

McCord said he forced himself to re-live his first losing experience with the Orange multiple times within the first 24 hours.

“Just looking at the ceiling and then watching the film over and over again,” McCord said of his attempts to process the result. “It was a long night. I probably watched the game five times by Saturday morning, just going back and watching it and trying to find ways that we can get better.”

Beat writers agree Syracuse will defeat Holy Cross (DO; Staff)

Syracuse suffered its first loss under first-year head coach Fran Brown last Friday, falling to Stanford on a game-winning field goal as time expired. For the first time in 2024, SU’s offense was stagnant and McCord struggled. Additionally, the Orange defense failed to stop star wide receiver Elic Ayomanor.

Looking to rebound from its first loss, Syracuse takes on Football Championship Subdivision foe Holy Cross. The Crusaders have just one win through their first four contests, defeating Bryant on Sept. 14. Since 1978, SU is 21-0 against FCS opponents.

Here’s how our beat writers think Syracuse (2-1, 1-1 ACC) will fare against Holy Cross (1-3, 0-0 Patriot League):

Aiden Stepansky (2-1)
Bounce back
Syracuse 45, Holy Cross 20

Well, I don’t think any of us expected that result in Week 4. Syracuse’s loss to Stanford last Friday was a true shocker and a wake-up call. Literally. SU quarterback Kyle McCord said Tuesday he’s barely slept since, tossing and turning over the missed opportunity of a 3-0 start.

Luckily for QB1 and the Orange, their Week 5 opponent makes for a great time to clean up the flurry of mistakes put on film against the Cardinal. A matchup with Holy Cross allows for a tune-up before a difficult two-game road trip that brings Syracuse out west to Las Vegas, then south to Raleigh.

I believe the Orange will use it as such. The Crusaders have been unimpressive, to say the least, in their first four games under Dan Curran. And Holy Cross is without star running back Jordan Fuller for the rest of the season.

Despite leading for just three minutes and 13 seconds in its bout with Stanford, Syracuse will jump out to an early lead, and will never trail in the game. McCord and Co. will get their mojo back and I foresee a heavy emphasis on the running game after the first three games’ disastrous showing. The Orange defense will also likely try a few different tactics, moving Justin Barron around again as they get one week closer to Marlowe Wax’s return.

SU will bounce back from its first loss under Brown and take care of business, bringing my fellow scribe Justin back to the .500 mark on the young season.

Cooper Andrews (2-1)
Holy moly
Syracuse 45, Holy Cross 10

Last week went horribly for your favorite trio of scribes. We all picked Syracuse by double-digits, only to be dumbfounded when Stanford knocked off the Orange in the Dome. It’s safe to say I took the worst loss too. I thought SU would win by 25. I even said on The Daily Orange Instagram account that Stanford is the worst team in the ACC.

I couldn’t have been more wrong.

Syracuse was sloppy, undisciplined and completely out of whack for the majority of the contest. What had been a dominant passing attack became part of SU’s downfall, with McCord tossing a pair of brutal picks. Even more discouraging was the coaching decision to leave Clarence Lewis one-on-one with Ayomanor on fourth-and-9 with 37 seconds left.

It’s only Brown’s first loss as head coach, but make no mistake, the Orange should have easily beaten the Cardinal. After letting a win slip away, though, I think they’ll take their rage out upon Holy Cross Saturday. The Crusaders don’t stand a chance against Syracuse. Just look at last year, when Patriot League foe Colgate was destroyed 65-0 by a Dino Babers-run SU. Saturday’s result won’t be that lopsided, but you can expect something similar.

Justin Girshon (1-2)
Back in the win column
Syracuse 44, Holy Cross 17

If you told me Syracuse would be 2-1 through its first three games, I’d say that’s great. It probably lost a close game against Georgia Tech before bouncing back against Stanford after its bye. Wrong.

With a chance to potentially crack the AP Poll Top 25, the only thing SU cracked was its winning streak. From the get-go, the Orange looked nothing like the team they were over the first two weeks. McCord was out of rhythm. SU had more injured players coming off the bye than we anticipated. And Ayomanor’s one-handed touchdown grab set the tone for an unlikely upset.

Syracuse football vs. Holy Cross predictions: See our picks (PS; $; Staff)

The Syracuse football team will face Holy Cross at 12 p.m., Saturday in the JMA Wireless Dome (TV: ACC Network Extra).

It’s time for our predictions. The panel includes Brent Axe, sports columnist; Chris Carlson, sports enterprise reporter; Emily Leiker, SU football reporter and Nate Mink, managing producer for sports.

BRENT AXE

Syracuse 56, Holy Cross 10

Will Syracuse cover? Yes

The get-right game Syracuse needs before leaving the dome until Nov. 2. (How does that happen two years in a row, that SU doesn’t play a home game in October?)

Fran Brown’s message to the Orange after the loss to Stanford was that his team was “out- physicaled.” That can’t be a sentence that comes out of his mouth again after this game.

CHRIS CARLSON

Syracuse 55, Holy Cross 0

Will Syracuse cover? Yes

If Syracuse doesn’t win or cover the spread on this one, then I am the kiss of death this season.

I don’t see any way the Orange isn’t infuriated by its performance against Stanford and will take out that anger on the Crusaders.

Orange coach Fran Brown wanted to send his team a message by having it punch in a touchdown on fourth down against Ohio when the analytics screamed to kick a field goal.

I expect he’ll be similarly stubborn – and successful – in requesting his offense run the ball against Holy Cross.

EMILY LEIKER

Syracuse 48, Holy Cross 13

Will Syracuse cover? Yes

Saturday’s game won’t really tell us much about how Syracuse rebounds from a loss unless it goes horribly wrong, which I don’t think will be the case.

Holy Cross, despite new head coach Dan Curran being a proven winner, has struggled this season. It’s averaging fewer than 400 yards of offense and is without one of its best players, running back Jordan Fuller, who suffered a season-ending lower-body injury against Bryant on Sept. 14.

Syracuse QB Kyle McCord took Friday night’s loss, and his mistakes in it, hard. He’ll be looking to get back to a big game with a bold stat line this weekend, and then we may finally get an in-game look at his two backups.

NATE MINK

Syracuse 48, Holy Cross 0

Will Syracuse cover? Yes

Syracuse is 21-0 against FCS foes (formerly Division I-AA) since the Division I split in 1978.

Two years ago, it got so bad, so quick against Wagner, the schools agreed to shorten the game in the second half.

UNLV's starting quarterback quits team ahead of Syracuse game (cnycentral.com; Saffer)

UNLV quarterback Matthew Sluka, a transfer who has led the Rebels to a 3-0 start, announced on social media Tuesday night he will not play in any more games this season, alluding to an unkept agreement struck during his recruitment to the school.

NCAA redshirt rules allow players to retain a year of eligibility if they play four or fewer games in a season. Sluka, who played four seasons (2020-23) at Holy Cross before transferring to UNLV this past offseason, still has one more year of eligibility that he could use at another school next season.

NCAA rules do not allow players to play for two schools within the same season.

Sluka did not detail the reasons behind his decision, but college athletes are now routinely being paid for their name, image and likeness by companies or third-party organizations called collectives, which serve a particular school’s athletes.

“I committed to UNLV based on certain representations that were made to me, which were not upheld after I enrolled,” Sluka posted on X. “Despite discussions, it became clear that these commitments would not be fulfilled in the future. I wish my teammates the best of luck this season and hope for the continued success of the program.”

The senior has completed 21 of 48 passes for 318 yards, six touchdowns and one interception for the Rebels this season. He has also rushed 39 times for 286 yards and a touchdown.

In a 23-20 win over Kansas on Sept. 13, Sluka led the Rebels on an 18-play, 75-yard drive that ended with Kylin James scoring on fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line with 1:51 left. Sluka rushed for 113 yards in the game.

The Rebels also began the season with a victory against Houston, making them 2-0 against Big 12 teams and raising hopes they could contend for a spot in the newly expanded 12-team College Football Playoff.

UNLV is scheduled to host Fresno State (3-1, 1-0) in its Mountain West opener Saturday.

After living out dreams at LSU, Duce Chestnut's back in Syracuse (DO; Stepansky)

Duce Chestnut’s dream school was always LSU. Despite growing up in Camden, New Jersey, he was infatuated with the Tigers’ program.

His parents, Leslie Brown and Charles Chestnut, bought him LSU gear, which he often wore while watching its games on the living room couch. Maurice Taylor, Chestnut’s defensive coordinator at Camden High School, thinks he partly chose to attend the school because its purple and gold uniforms mirror the Tigers’ brand.

Despite being an offensive player for most of his youth career, Chestnut moved to the secondary before high school. It allowed him to emulate his favorite Tigers player ever, Tyrann Mathieu. Chestnut’s goal was to play in LSU’s secondary, known by many as Defensive Back University.

So when an opportunity opened to transfer to his dream school after two star-studded seasons with Syracuse to open his college career, it was a no-brainer for Chestnut. But childhood dreams don’t always work out as planned.

An injury-riddled junior season abruptly ended his time with the Tigers, forcing him to redshirt in 2023. Following his time at LSU — and Syracuse’s hiring of Fran Brown — Chestnut re-entered the transfer portal and returned to the Orange. Back at SU, Chestnut has recorded 14 total tackles through its first three games.

Though with changes on the field, including a switch from cornerback to free safety, Chestnut’s time with the Tigers put things into perspective. The once-standout underclassman went through newfound adversity. And he’s better off because of it.

“I’m back,” Chestnut said. “But not the freshman Duce that y’all had before … A better Duce.”

A few weeks prior to SU’s 2022 Pinstripe Bowl matchup with Minnesota, Chestnut entered the transfer portal following former Syracuse defensive coordinator Tony White’s departure. Given the chance to live out a lifelong aspiration, Chestnut ran with the opportunity. On Jan. 8, 2023, Chestnut announced his commitment to LSU.

Instantly, he made an impact with the Tigers. In a top-10 matchup against Florida State to open the season, Chestnut intercepted a pass from Jordan Travis intended for current Buffalo Bills receiver Keon Coleman. He also recorded four tackles and a tackle for loss.

Playing for a top SEC program, excellence was demanded daily. In practice, Chestnut faced off with future first-round wide receivers Malik Nabers (New York Giants) and Brian Thomas Jr. (Jacksonville Jaguars), while Heisman Trophy winner and No. 2 overall pick Jayden Daniels (Washington Commanders) threw to them. Dozens of National Football League scouts were frequently in attendance.

Syracuse football DC Elijah Robinson on 4th-and-9 defense: ‘I wouldn’t go back and change anything’ (PS; $; Carlson)

Syracuse defensive coordinator Elijah Robinson said he wouldn’t change anything about his critical defensive play call on 4th-and-9 against Stanford.

Robinson defended Syracuse’s approach on a play in which Stanford quarterback Ashton Daniels completed a 29-yard back-shoulder throw to star wide receiver Elic Ayomanor, setting up the game-winning field goal last Friday.

On the play, cornerback Clarence Lewis wound up in single coverage down the sideline with Ayomanor, projected as an early round NFL Draft pick.

Daniels’ pass easily cleared linebacker Justin Barron, who was protecting the intermediate part of the field, and landed in Ayomanor’s arms along the sideline in front of Lewis and away from any potential safety help.

The Syracuse cornerback’s coverage was good. The pass and catch were better.

According to Pro Football Focus it was Daniels’ only completion thrown more than 20 yards on Friday. He’d thrown six passes more than 20 yards up to that point. All of them were incomplete.

“It’s a good coverage,” Robinson said of SU’s final call. “It works for us. They made the better play. They were one play better than us. I wouldn’t go back and change anything.”

During his press conference on Monday, Syracuse coach Fran Brown said on multiple occasions that any blame for that play and Syracuse’s loss should fall on him.

“He caught the ball,” Brown said. “I’m not going to go through the whole coverage of it. It was 4th-and-9. I wish I would have done something different to have the kid not in that situation and be able to make a play. It’s on me as a head coach. I messed it up. Coach Fran messed it up.”

Brown did the same during meetings with players, tight end Oronde Gadsden II said.

Robinson said he understands Brown’s reasoning. The reality of being a head coach is that they are responsible for everything that happens within a program.

Justin Barron's versatility adding value to SU defense (spectrumlocalnews.com; Valazquez)

Syracuse football is coming off its first loss of the Fran Brown era last Friday. One of the positives from the game was the play of defensive back Justin Barron. After a position change, he had his best game of the season against Stanford.

Barron is one of the veterans on this year’s Syracuse football team. The senior has played in 52 games with the Orange at defense back, getting an All-ACC honorable mention last year. He typically plays in the team’s “star” role, a hybrid between safety and linebacker. However, with Marlowe Wax out with a lower body injury, Barron moved to more of a traditional inside linebacker spot against Stanford.

“You got bigger shoes to fill right now, it’s another new position," Barron said. "Being able to be counted on by my teammates and being able to be that guy who can do the job the right way. And I'd rather be me than anyone else. So I, I don't take that role lightly.”

“Because of his intelligence and his high IQ, he can do a lot, you know?" said Brown. "He can play safety, he can play outside linebacker, you know, he can line up at defensive end. The kid could do a lot of things because of his size, his athletic ability.”

According to Pro Football Focus, Barron had his best game of the season against Stanford, tying a season high in tackles and allowing just two catches for nine yards in coverage. He said the biggest difference is making sure everyone is on the same page, helping him make an impact.

"Like, I thought I was communicating a lot when I was at Star, but now it's a whole different level," Barron said. "I got to talk to everybody on three levels and it only helps me, right? It helps my learning, it helps me really be able to talk to everyone on the field."

Barron’s ability and willingness to switch positions and make a positive impact are examples of leadership. It’s something he’s always done. Back in 2020, he converted from wide receiver to DB.

“He's valuable. Just his leadership and his unselfishness to change positions, to go learn something new," said Syracuse Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator Elijah Robinson. "I think it’s going to help him tremendously when he's ready to take those games to the next level as a professional.”

After the Stanford loss, Brown has talked about how his team needs to be more physical. Barron says there’s no mindset shift, just continuing to work on all the intangibles the defense wants to establish.

“You know, you got to up it even more, right?" Barron said. "We thought we were going hard and now we're going even harder. We’re still gonna be a fast, physical and tough defense, right? Everything that we've been preaching all offseason and we're going to continue to do that and we just got to improve on it. Right now, nothing changes. It's just improving all those little things.”

The Orange look to take the improvements into Saturday’s game against Holy Cross. Kickoff is at noon at the JMA Wireless Dome. The Orange look to improve to 3-1 before starting a three-game road trip.

SU Football Coach Fran Brown shares past reading struggles to boost Book Buddies (cnycentral.com; Benny)

These days, Syracuse University head football coach Fran Brown tends to own every room he walks into. He shook dozens of hands as he walked into a classroom at the STEAM School at Dr. King Elementary in Syracuse on Wednesday morning. However, it was not always like this – especially in classrooms, Brown said.

“I could read the words, but I couldn’t comprehend. So, therefore I would get stuck and frustrated. I was afraid to read out loud in the classroom. All the things you would be teased about,” Brown said.

Brown and some of his players came to Dr. King Elementary to help kick off another school year of Book Buddies. The program is a partnership between Syracuse Schools and The United Way of Central New York. It pairs up volunteers with student who need help with their reading skills. In Syracuse, only 17 percent of students in younger grades meet the state standard. Across Onondaga County is only about 40 percent.

Fran Brown says he can easily recall the dread he’d feel before a teacher would call on him to read out loud, and the bullying he endured because of his struggle. His players say they understand the importance of the Book Buddies program too. “I feel as though I can relate a little bit,” Linebacker Marlowe Wax said. Wax, who is nursing an injury, read to children along with some teammates. “Being a younger kid and feeling that your reading isn’t the best. You read ahead when you are about to be called on – and to be here so these kids get better with their reading, so they don’t have to go through what we went through in the past,” Wax said.

The CNY Book Buddies program is looking for about 150 more volunteers. This school year it has expanded to a 6th school in the Syracuse City School System. Click here to learn more about volunteering.

30 Minutes in Orange Nation 9-25-24 (ESPN; radio; Orange Nation)

Steve Infanti and Paulie Scibilia react to the news that UNLV QB Matthew Sluka is sitting out the rest of the season due to an NIL dispute before discussing which teams they’re most intrigued by heading into the MLB Postseason.

Sam Holland "Orange Nation" 9-25-24 (ESPN; radio; Orange Nation)

NoDestination’s Sam Holland joins Steve Infanti and Paulie Scibilia to weigh in on UNLV QB Matthew Sluka’s decision to sit out the rest of the season due to an NIL dispute.

Newhouse after Noon 9-25-24 (ESPN; radio; Newhouse after Noon)

Patrick Scanlon, Jillian Schumacher, and Andrew Watson preview the Syracuse men’s basketball schedule, discuss UNLV QB Matthew Sluka’s decision to redshirt this season, and give their biggest winners and losers in ACC football from this past weekend.

MAJOR NEWS | Syracuse Football Opponent UNLV's Matthew Sluka + Ryder Frost Decision & ACC Schedule (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse Orange Football is set to face the UNLV Rebels on October 4th. UNLV will not have starting quarterback Matthew Sluka for that game (and for the rest of the season) due to an NIL dispute, according to Sluka himself. Syracuse Orange Basketball recruiting target Ryder Frost is set to make his decision on September 27th. Plus, the ACC released the schedule for Syracuse for the 2024-25 season.

Jackson Holzer goes over a trio of topics on this edition of the Locked On Syracuse Podcast.

Syracuse football looks to REBOUND against Holy Cross (cnycentgral.com; podcast; Orange Zone)

Samantha Croston, Ashley Wenskoski, James Mungro, and Rachel Culver preview Syracuse football's Week Five matchup against HOLY CROSS. The Orange look to turn the page after being stunned by Stanford for their first loss of the season last Friday night.00:00-7:58: The 4th and 9 conversion heard around the world - takeaways from the first loss of the season7:59-16:18: SU run game (or lack thereof), offensive issues16:19-22:21: Looking ahead to Holy Cross22:22-25:01: Predictions for Holy Cross

What’s next for Syracuse football? (youtube; podcast; Lindley)

What’s next for Syracuse football?

Syracuse Orange Football Team Entrance vs Stanford! | Night Game at the Dome | (9-20-2024) (youtube; video; Cuse Vegas)

Syracuse Orange Football Team Entrance vs Stanford! | Night Game at the Dome | (9-20-2024)

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/w...all-match-player-stats-9-28-2024-19792555.php (timesunion.com; Skrive)

One of the top wide receivers in college football will be on show when Trebor Pena and the Syracuse Orange (2-1) take on the Holy Cross Crusaders (1-3) on Saturday, September 28, 2024.

Watch every college football touchdown, interception, and big play on Sling. Here's what you need to know to start using Sling to stream college football games.

Syracuse vs. Holy Cross TV Channel and Upcoming Game Info

• When: Saturday, September 28, 2024 at 12:00 p.m. ET
  • TV: ACC Network Extra
  • Live Stream: Watch this game on Sling (Regional restrictions may apply)

Syracuse Leaders

• Kyle McCord has been a catalyst for the Orange's offense this year, racking up 1,074 passing yards with 10 passing touchdowns, three interceptions and a 67.7% completion percentage.
  • In addition to the numbers he's put up in the passing game, McCord has also added 1 rushing yard and one touchdown in three games.
  • In three games in 2024, Pena has been targeted 26 times for 22 receptions, 267 yards and four touchdowns.
  • Oronde Gadsden II has been an important part of the Orange's passing offense in 2024, tallying 15 catches for 213 yards and three touchdowns.
  • In three games for the Orange, LeQuint Allen has accumulated 206 rushing yards (5.4 yards per carry) and zero touchdowns.
  • Allen has tallied 13 receptions on 17 targets for 114 yards and one touchdown as a pass-catcher in 2024.
  • The Orange's defensive unit has been aided by the contributions of Fadil Diggs, who has suited up for three games and posted 19 tackles, five TFL, and two sacks.
  • Derek McDonald has suited up for three games, collecting 21 tackles for the Orange.
  • Alijah Clark has helped spur the Orange's defense with 19 tackles and one TFL in three games.
  • With 22 tackles, Justin Barron has helped carry the Orange's defense over three games.

5 Things to Know: Syracuse vs. Holy Cross - Syracuse University Athletics (cuse.com)

The Syracuse football team returns home for a Saturday game against Holy Cross. Here's five things to know about the matchup:

1. SELLOUT
Saturday's game is sold out! With just three remaining home games after this weekend, fans should visit Cuse.com/Tickets to secure their seats for the Orange's November slate.

2. Pena Continues to Shine
Wide receiver Trebor Pena had 10 catches for 101 yards in last week's game against Stanford. He now has 22 catches for 267 yards and five touchdowns (four receiving) this season.

Pena is on pace to shatter last season's high receptions mark amongst receivers (33 – Damien Alford). LeQuint Allen led the team with 38 catches. He already has surpassed any individual player's receiving touchdowns number from a year ago.

Pena is on pace to finish the regular season with 88 catches, which would be fifth in program history.

3. Against the FCS
Saturday's game marks the 22nd game that 'Cuse has faced an FCS squad (formerly division I-AA) since the separation of major college football programs into two divisions in 1978. The Orange currently hold a 21-0 mark in those contests, 20 of which happening inside the Dome.

4. 300+ for McCord
Skip Ad

Kyle McCord enters Saturday's game as just the third Orange quarterback to have thrown for 300+ yards in three-straight games (joining Ryan Nassib in 2012 and Eric Dungey in 2017). No Orange Signal caller has done so in four-straight contests.

McCord already ranks sixth in career 300+ yard passing games at Syracuse, despite being just three games into his SU tenure.

5. Last Time at Home 'Til November
After Saturday's contest, the Orange will spend 34 days without hosting a home game. It's the second-straight year that 'Cuse doesn't have a home game in October. Get your tickets to the November game at Cuse.com/Tickets.

ACC News

No. 7 Miami opens ACC play against Virginia Tech, looking to keep flying after hot start (yahoo.com; Reynolds)

This is basically where Miami was at this time last year. Unbeaten through four games, climbing in the national rankings, feeling good going into the start of Atlantic Coast Conference play.

And then, thud.

ACC play last season for Miami started with a debacle against Georgia Tech, a contest where the Hurricanes didn’t take a knee to run out the clock and wound up giving the game away. This season’s ACC slate for No. 7 Miami starts on Friday night, at home against Virginia Tech, a game where these Hurricanes can try to continue to show that things really are different now.

“They decided a while back,” Miami coach Mario Cristobal said. “They’ve had enough.”

Expectations were high entering the year for the Hurricanes and have climbed every week since. Quarterback Cam Ward — now the Heisman Trophy favorite, according to BetMGM — is leading one of the highest-octane offenses in the country and the Hurricanes are one of only four unbeaten teams left in the ACC.

“These games really don’t matter,” Ward said after Miami finished its four-game non-conference slate with a 50-15 rout at South Florida last weekend. “Only games that matter are ACC play.”

It’s also the ACC opener for Virginia Tech (2-2), which has two wins over Sun Belt teams and two one-score losses against Power Four opponents. The Hokies didn’t face the Hurricanes last year.

“I think it’s one of the better rivalries in college football,” Virginia Tech coach Brent Pry said. “I’m glad that they’re back on our schedule. I think it’s good for us and good for our league and we’ve got to go down and play competitive. They’re doing their part, we got to do ours. They’ve got a load of talent.”

The power of 24

Virginia Tech pays tribute to former coach Frank Beamer by issuing his No. 25 jersey to a different special teams player each week. Turns out, 24 is a big number for the Hokies as well.

Since the start of 2021, Virginia Tech is 17-4 when allowing less than 24 points. When the Hokies allow 24 or more in that span, they’ve gone 1-19.

Holding Miami to 24 or less will be a big ask. The Hurricanes entered the week tied with Ohio State for third nationally in points per game (52.3), behind only Ole Miss (55.0) and Tennessee (54.0). Miami is behind only Ole Miss in yards per game (670.8 to 605).

ACC This Week: No. 15 Louisville looks to stay perfect against No. 16 Notre Dame (apnews.com; Iacobelli)

Things to watch this week in the Atlantic Coast Conference:

Game of the week

No. 15 Louisville (3-0, 1-0 ACC) at No. 16 Notre Dame (3-1), Saturday, 3:30 p.m. ET (Peacock)

It’s the lone ranked vs. ranked matchup involving an ACC team and is the Cardinals’ first game on the road after winning all three home games. The contest could go a long way to showing if Louisville is a legitimate contender for the College Football Playoff.

Louisville surprised Notre Dame a season ago, taking control early and never getting pushed on the way to a 33-20 victory.

The Cardinals are off to a hot start in large part due to Tyler Shough, a Texas Tech transfer, taking over at quarterback. He’s completed 68% of his throws for 850 yards and eight touchdowns against zero interceptions. Louisville receiver Chris Bell leads the ACC with 27.3 yards per reception. He’s got two TD catches of 30 or more yards this season.

Notre Dame bounced back from its home loss to Northern Illinois with a 66-7 win over Purdue last week.

The undercard

Stanford (2-1, 1-1) at No. 17 Clemson (2-1, 1-0). It is the second straight cross-country trip for first-year league member Stanford after it became just the third ever ACC team to win its first conference game on the road at Syracuse. Clemson’s offense has been on fire the past two games, putting up 125 points in victories over Appalachian State and N.C. State.

Impact players

Cade Klubnik, Clemson. Klubnik is in his second season as a starter for the Tigers and has looked like a more decisive, effective player this season. Klubnik struggled with mistakes and poor decisions as the defending ACC champions fell out of contention early last season. After struggling against Georgia in the opener, Klubnik has accounted for 11 touchdowns — eight passing, three rushing — in victories over Appalachian State (66-20) and N.C. State (59-35).

Inside the numbers

Louisville wide receiver Chris Bell leads the ACC at 27.3 yards a reception this season. He’s got two TD catches of 30 yards or more for the 3-0 Cardinals. ... Virginia Tech defensive lineman Antwuan Powell-Ryland leads the Bowl Subdivision with six sacks. ... N.C. State leads the nation in consecutive extra points. It has not missed the kick after a touchdown since the last game of the 2017 regular season, a run of 262 straight games. ... Syracuse quarterback Kyle McCord is the third Orange passer to throw for 300 or more yards in three straight games. He joins Ryan Nassib in 2012 and Eric Dungey in 2017. ... Florida State has had 22 tackles for loss, 10 sacks and two interceptions in its past two games against Memphis and Cal.

Tar Heel chaos?

Losses can hit hard and it remains to be seen how long North Carolina’s eye-opening 70-50 home loss to James Madison last week could affect the program.

Tar Heels coach Mack Brown said he was “disappointed in me,” for how he handled things and said players who thought he was going to step down had “misinterpreted” his comments after the game.

In all, not the vibe the Tar Heels wanted to bring into their season-opening ACC game Saturday rival Duke on Saturday.

It was an awful showing by North Carolina, which gave up 53 points in the first half. Brown explained how he talked to his players about leadership.

“That’s something I shouldn’t do. I shouldn’t put that pressure on those young people at that point. I’m supposed to be a leader,” Brown said this week. “So (I’m) disappointed in me.”

Virginia Tech football ACC game-by-game prediction to potential bowl eligibility (fightinggobbler.com; Roche)

Four games into the season and the Virginia Tech football team is sitting at 2-2, a place not many people, if any, thought that they would be in heading down to Miami to begin ACC play Friday night. Sitting at .500 after losses to Vanderbilt and Rutgers, sandwiched around wins over Marshall and Old Dominion, the Hokies are one of the bigger disappointments through the first month.

Things are not going to get any easier once ACC play begins and if there is one thing that we’ve learned through the first month, the Hokies eight-game slate has no gimmies on it. Brad Crawford of 247Sports posted on X earlier this week that Virginia Tech is facing the real possibility of not making bowl eligibility, something that would be completely stunning.

As Virginia Tech heads down to Miami, shorthanded and with players banged up, let’s predict their eight ACC games and whether or not they become bowl-eligible after Thanksgiving Weekend at home against Virginia.

Virginia Tech football ACC game-by-game predictions

Friday at Miami

Aside from the Hokies, the Hurricanes got a lot of preseason hype and through four games, Mario Cristobal and his team are living up to the hype. Regardless of health, it’s hard seeing Virginia Tech covering the current 19.5-point spread.

Prediction: Loss

Oct. 5 at Stanford

At the beginning of the season, this looked like a win, but now, I’m not so sure. The Cardinal went to Syracuse last Friday night and beat the Orange on a field goal to end the game, 26-24. Virginia Tech is their ACC home opener after Stanford is at Clemson this week, but this is a toss-up. Have to think a desperate Hokies team responds going into their first bye week.

Prediction: Win

Oct. 17 vs. Boston College

If there is one ACC team through the first month that is opening a lot of eyes, it’s the Eagles. Under first-year coach Bill O’Brien, BC has wins over Florida State, Duquesne, and Michigan State with their only blemish being a six-point loss at Missouri, who was a Top 10 at the time. Mobile quarterbacks like Thomas Castellanos give Tech major problems.

Oct. 26 vs. Georgia Tech

Like Stanford, the Yellow Jackets have opened some eyes this season and they began FSU’s misery by beating them in Ireland in Week 0. Head coach Brent Keys has them moving in the right direction and it feels like they are moving faster in the right direction than the Hokies. This is another toss-up game.

Nov. 2 at Syracuse

This is not the same Orange team that visited Blacksburg last season. First-year coach Fran Brown has brought a new culture to the team along with a ton of transfers and so far, it’s all working. They have a win over Georgia Tech, but did lose to Stanford. We all know what tends to happen up at the Dome for Virginia Tech.

SMU suits up for its first ACC game vs. Florida State (youtube; video; CBS Texas)

After announcing their move to the Atlantic Coast Conference a year ago this month, SMU football will finally suit up in its first ACC game.

Pitt Football | Pat Narduzzi joins ACC PM | September 24, 2024 (youtube; video; ACC DN)

Pitt Football | Pat Narduzzi joins ACC PM | September 24, 2024

Is ACC football good or bad? Who's the best?! (youtube; podcast; The Crowdwd Booth)

The ACC has been up and down, is it good or bad? Who's the best ?!

Should ACC Teams Stop Punting? (RX; HM)

Should ACC Teams Stop Punting?

I mean, some of them are just not very good at it! How does one conference have 4 teams among the 8 worst teams in all of FBS when it comes to blocking for punts? From the "Bless Your Chart" substack, here's a look at some not-so-special teams:
Most punts blocked
UNC gave up a blocked punt for a touchdown early in the JMU game last Saturday, but it's just the latest of the 8 punts they've had blocked since 2019. Pitt isn't much better, with 7 punts blocked. Following closely are Georgia Tech and Virginia, with 6 punts blocked. All four of those teams have surrended two touchdowns each via the blocked kick.

Add to that the fact that three of these teams are very effective at converting 4th downs (based on 2024 stats through Week 4):

4th Down Conversions
TeamAttemptConvertPercent
Ga Tech10770%
Virginia10660%
Pitt7457%
UNC4125%

Sorry, Tar Heels.

If you're the coach of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, and you've already had six punts blocked - two for touchdowns! - but you convert 70% of your 4th downs... why would you ever punt?

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2024/09/links-news-and-rumors-2024-sep-25.html (RX; HM)

Links, News, and Rumors 2024 Sep 25

Syracuse was facing a likely loss at UNLV in 2 weeks when this happened:

UNLV football is off to a dream start to the season, at 3-0 for the first time since 1984. The Rebels are No. 23 in the coaches poll and have the No. 1 spot in the Group of 5 Coaches Poll, powered by Athlon Sports and FootballScoop. The Rebels are a legitimate contender to receive the fifth automatic bid in the College Football Playoff this season.
And early Wednesday morning, the Rebels’ starting quarterback Matthew Sluka stunningly walked away from the program.
“I have decided to utilize my redshirt year and will not be playing in any additional games this season,” Sluka wrote in a statement posted to social media. “I committed to UNLV based on certain representations that were made to me, which were not upheld after I enrolled. Despite discussions, it became clear that these commitments would not be fulfilled in the future. I wish my teammates the best of luck this season and hope for the continued success of the program.”
Sluka didn’t specify what those commitments were, but naturally, rumors of unfulfilled NIL promises are swirling around social media...
[From "Starting QB walks away from CFP contender" posted by Athlon Sports]

UNLV plays Fresno State this Saturday, then hosts the Syracuse football team on Friday, October 4th. Meanwhile, the Orange have a tune-up game against Holy Cross [FCS] this weekend.

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2024/09/2024-attendance-1st-4-weeks.html (RX; HM)

2024 Attendance, 1st 4 Weeks

Keeping in mind that some teams have only played one home game, while others have hosted one or two marquee non-conference games, here are the attendance numbers for the season so far, sorted by average, with ACC schools highlighted:

RankInstitutionConf.Avg AttStad Cap%Cap
1MichiganBig Ten110,697107,601102.88
2Penn St.Big Ten106,694106,572100.11
3Ohio St.Big Ten102,849102,780100.07
4TennesseeSEC101,915101,915100
5TexasSEC101,304100,119101.18
6LSUSEC100,279102,32198
7AlabamaSEC100,077101,82198.29
8Texas A&MSEC99,728102,73397.07
9GeorgiaSEC93,03392,746100.31
10FloridaSEC89,94488,548101.58
11AuburnSEC88,04387,451100.68
12NebraskaBig Ten86,61587,09199.45
13OklahomaSEC83,59580,126104.33
14ClemsonACC81,50081,500100%!
15South CarolinaSEC78,91077,559101.74
16Notre DameIndy77,62280,79596.07
17WisconsinBig Ten75,85075,822100.04
18Michigan St.Big Ten70,16975,00593.55
19IowaBig Ten69,25069,250100
20USCBig Ten68,11077,50087.88
21WashingtonBig Ten66,99870,13895.52
22Ole MissSEC66,67964,038104.12
23Virginia TechACC65,63265,632100%!
24BYUBig 1263,95762,073103.03
25MissouriSEC62,62160,168104.08
26KentuckySEC61,60661,000100.99
27PurdueBig Ten60,46557,236105.64
28Texas TechBig 1258,96360,45497.53
29OregonBig Ten57,78554,000107.01
30ArkansasSEC57,57472,00079.96
31NC StateACC56,91957,60098.82
32Iowa St.Big 1255,78861,50090.71
33Florida St.ACC55,10755,107100%!
34West VirginiaBig 1254,86260,00091.44
35Miami (FL)ACC54,72564,76784.5
36PittsburghACC53,04768,40077.55
37UtahBig 1252,51951,444102.09
38Oklahoma St.Big 1252,20252,202100
39IllinoisBig Ten52,00660,67085.72
40Kansas St.Big 1251,26550,000102.53
41ColoradoBig 1251,11650,183101.86
42LouisvilleACC48,79060,80080.25
43Mississippi St.SEC48,59761,33779.23
44North CarolinaACC48,14150,50095.33
45UCLABig Ten47,81154,28388.08
46South Fla.AAC47,65565,85772.36
47MinnesotaBig Ten47,09850,80592.7
48Arizona St.Big 1246,80664,24872.85
49TCUBig 1246,47646,000101.03
50ArizonaBig 1246,24750,80091.04
51RutgersBig Ten44,41252,45484.67
52BaylorBig 1244,24245,14098.01
53UCFBig 1244,00744,20699.55
54IndianaBig Ten42,11452,92979.57
55UTEPCUSA41,63352,00080.06
56Boston CollegeACC41,47144,50093.19
57East CarolinaAAC41,29250,00082.58
58VirginiaACC41,08261,50066.8
59Fresno St.MWC40,05540,72798.35
60SyracuseACC38,68842,77490.45
61CincinnatiBig 1237,88437,500101.02

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2024/09/2024-campbell-trophy-acc-semifinalists.html (RX; HM)

2024 Campbell Trophy ACC Semifinalists

From the official ACC release of Wednesday, September 25, 2024...

ACC with 15 Semifinalists for the 2024 William V. Campbell Trophy

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (theACC.com) – A total of 15 Atlantic Coast Conference student-athletes have been named semifinalists for the 2024 William V. Campbell Trophy®, announced Wednesday by the National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame (NFF).
The ACC’s 15 semifinalists are tied for the second-most among all FBS conferences.
Celebrating its 35th year, the Campbell Trophy® recognizes an individual as the absolute best football scholar-athlete in the nation for his combined academic success, football performance and exemplary leadership.

Representing the ACC are:

• Craig Woodson, California
  • Phil Mafah, Clemson
  • Jordan Moore, Duke
  • Robert Scott Jr., Florida State
  • Henry Freer, Georgia Tech
  • Ashton Gillotte, Louisville
  • J.J. Jones, North Carolina
  • Timothy McKay, NC State
  • Terrence Moore, Pitt
  • Jake Bailey, SMU
  • Tristan Sinclair, Stanford
  • Derek McDonald, Syracuse
  • Brian Stevens, Virginia
  • Cole Nelson, Virginia Tech
  • Taylor Morin, Wake Forest

An ACC player has won the Campbell Trophy in three of the last 10 seasons. Previous Campbell Trophy winners from the current 17-football playing ACC schools are Clemson's Christian Wilkins in 2018, Virginia’s Micah Kiser in 2017, Duke’s David Helton in 2014, California’s Alex Mack in 2008, Miami’s Joaquin Gonzalez in 2001 and Virginia’s Thomas Burns in 1993.
A total of 203 semifinalists were recognized for the 2024 William V. Campbell Trophy®, college football’s premier scholar-athlete award, including 95 nominees from the NCAA FBS level. The new record mark eclipsed the 201 nominees in 2023. The impressive list of candidates, from all NCAA divisions and the NAIA, boasts an impressive 3.63 average GPA, with more than half of the semifinalists having already earned their bachelor’s degrees.

Other

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2024/...c-here-are-7-easy-ways-to-improve-it-now.html (PS; $; Breidenbach)

The wisdom of dome traffic management in Syracuse has been passed along for more than four decades by word of mouth among city police, the state transportation department, Syracuse University and the Centro bus service.

Somehow, the community has reached 2024 with no written traffic plan and no one person in charge of moving tens of thousands of vehicles in and out of football and basketball games and big concerts.

Each entity does its part and somehow, we find the way to our seats.

A new study shows: It could be much better. And some ideas in this study are things that could happen now, instead of waiting for new traffic patterns from the Interstate 81 project.

Imagine getting everyone out in 45 minutes instead of up to 2 hours. Imagine visitors typing “JMA Wireless Dome” in their navigation apps and getting directions to event parking lots instead of the dome itself, where thousands of other cars are circling.

Imagine fans staying for the whole game without the embarrassing mass exodus five minutes before the buzzer to beat the traffic.

The last time anyone really studied traffic to the dome was in 1980, when it opened. The Syracuse Metropolitan Transportation Council learned about traffic that year in a study that was really meant to understand air quality. In 2000, they updated that study a little.

Now that I-81 is changing traffic patterns, city police asked for a major update.

In four studies, totaling 410 pages, consultants suggest new traffic patterns when the I-81 viaduct is torn down, sending traffic to street level. There will be new exits and entrances from every major highway and three new roundabouts to navigate. The elevated highway most people use to get from I-81 to the university is scheduled to be torn down by 2028.

There is a lot to sort out in the next four years.

But this new study also exposes some common-sense issues that could be fixed now with a little thought and coordination. City officials say they are open to exploring some of these options. Syracuse University officials did not respond to interview requests.

1. Navigation apps

Rich Shoff, the city’s first deputy police chief, manages a staff of about 70 police officers both inside and outside the dome for big events.

“People want to get to where they’re going and feel like they’re moving,” Shoff said. “They don’t want to feel like they’re stuck in a traffic jam.”

But drivers are constantly stopping officers in busy intersections to ask for directions.

Police wind up acting as tour guides – answering questions about the 40 different types of SU parking passes or how to find a garage, he said.

The SU website lists line-by-line text directions to the dome. There is a PDF map that is not to scale and says not all lots pictured are available for all events. It has very little information about shuttles from remote lots.

There is no link to an interactive map service like Apple or Google maps or Waze.

It turns out, Syracuse University does not have a relationship with any of the navigation apps, the study said

There is no real-time information about traffic jams or accidents. And because no information is communicated to navigation apps, drivers are not instructed to drive toward available parking lots instead of campus.

Navigation is especially difficult for first-time visitors attending a concert or an event like the Monster Truck Jam, which can attract as many as 35,000 people.

The city and Syracuse University are open to exploring relationships with navigation apps, said Neil Burke, director of special projects for the Syracuse Department of Public Works.

For example, the Waze app allows event organizers to submit temporary road closures and direct traffic to parking lots instead of campus. The service is free, the report said, but someone has to share the data.

Between 2016 and 2020, Syracuse University hosted 173 events, including 32 football games with attendance as high as 41,820 and 91 men’s basketball games with an average attendance of 12,846. Plenty of first-time visitors also came for graduations, high school football and band tournaments.

The study estimated there are some 13,400 additional vehicles approaching campus for a game that attracts 30,000 visitors.

Syracuse University pays the city for police salaries during games. In the fiscal year that ended June 30, the university paid the city $640,000, according to city officials.

Some examples: The Wake Forest football game cost $30,636. The men’s basketball game against Notre Dame cost $20,638. The Monster Jam cost $56,611.

ZAJKPNW4V5CNLGHDSVSG2XTQ5I.jpg

The PPP from Peppino's, the 38th stop on our CNY Pizza Tour. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)(Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

https://www.syracuse.com/food/2024/...o-keep-this-award-winning-pizza-the-same.html (PS; $; Miller)

The dough John Vigliotti made Monday was different than the batch he made the day before.

“Of course it was,” he said Monday afternoon. “The recipe requires adjustments every day. It has to change. But the pizza. ... The pizza comes out the same. Every time. You want it consistent. Right? So yes, the recipe changes.”

What he’s trying to say is that he has to modify the ingredients depending on the weather so the pizza we get today at Peppino’s on the city’s North Side is just like the pizza we got last week or last month or last year.

Give him 20 minutes, and he’ll explain it to you. He loves talking about the dough. Just ask him.

See, the temperature outside Sunday topped out at 79 degrees. On Monday, it was 12 degrees cooler, and it was humid from all the rain. Oh, and the unbleached and unbromated flour had just been unloaded from a refrigerated truck. The water needed to be warmer for it to work well with the yeast, and it has to last three days.

Most pizzerias make their dough a day in advance, letting it proof overnight. Vig requires a three-day cold fermentation.

“You’ll taste the difference, and your body will feel the difference,” he said, whirling his hands and moving up to the edge of his seat. “Yeast is alive. Over that three days it’s going to eat the sugar. The gluten relaxes, and it ends up good for your digestive system.”

https://www.syracuse.com/entertainm...g-to-jma-dome-in-syracuse-who-will-it-be.html (PS; Herbert)

Another “major concert” is coming to the JMA Wireless Dome in Syracuse.

Live Nation and Syracuse University have scheduled a press conference for Thursday morning to make a “major concert announcement.” Former Syracuse and NFL quarterback Don McPherson will join JMA Dome manager Pete Sala and Live Nation Upstate New York/Connecticut President Jim Koplik for the announcement, scheduled for 11 a.m.

Additional details and hints about who it will be were not included, but a press release promised it will be “one of 2025′s biggest concerts” at the stadium.

Syracuse University has previously used the words “major” and “big” to tease concert announcements like Paul McCartney at the then-Carrier Dome in 2017 and Elton John’s farewell tour in 2022. The Beatles legend also performed at the Dome in 2022, marking the first event when it was renamed the JMA Wireless Dome.

Two upcoming concerts are already scheduled at the Dome: Pink on Sunday, Oct. 6, and Metallica on Saturday, April 19, 2025. Tickets for Metallica go on sale to the general public Friday.

Other legends that have played the venue include Billy Joel, The Rolling Stones, The Who, and Bruce Springsteen. Joel recently wrapped up his historic Madison Square Garden residency and holds the record for the most concerts at Syracuse’s Dome with seven; a No. 7 jersey was hung from the rafters to mark the achievement at his 2015 concert.

YMDI7AXH3JEBNH6BDL6N7KQ3EI.jpg

Canal Side Cafe and Bistro at 23 Syracuse St. in Baldwinsville. (Screen shot from Google) Google

https://www.syracuse.com/restaurant...-sale-but-may-close-if-no-buyer-is-found.html (PS; Cazentre)

A restaurant that has served breakfast and lunch near the Baldwinsville waterfront for the past five years will close at the end of the month unless the owner can find a buyer to take it over.

Canal Side Cafe and Bistro at 23 Syracuse St. posted the news on Facebook last week. The cafe, owned by the Maliszewski family, opened in 2019.

The cafe is listed for sale for $40,000 as a “turnkey” business, meaning a new owner can take it over as is. The sale includes all kitchen equipment and furnishings. It does not include the property, which is owned separately.

“Take over where this restauranteur is leaving off ... successful Cafe since 2019 is just steps away from the Seneca River, Paper Mill Island and in the heart of downtown Baldwinsville!,” the listing reads.

But the cafe’s Facebook posting, dated Sept. 16, also notes “... we will be going to auction to recoup some of our debt if the business fails to sell in the coming weeks. It is with great sadness that we must inform you all that unless a sale is possible and pending, September 29th will be our last day open.”

“We have been operating day by day, desperately trying to keep the café going with the support of our amazing friends and family,” the message continued. “We couldn’t have made it this long without our loyal regulars and let’s not forget the amazing staff that has stuck with us through the best and the worst of it.”

The owners could not be reached for more information.