Class of 2023 - For those of you asking about how many more recruits we can take for 2023 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 For those of you asking about how many more recruits we can take for 2023

CuseLegacy

There are, per OrangeXtreme thread/list, potentially 75 returning scholarship players. There are currently nine commits for the 2023 class. The total number of scholarships per team is still 85. So at this point we can only take one more scholarship player for 2023.

I think we will have to wait until the season is over to see who leaves/transfers and if all the current commits sign in December. Until then y'all are just going to have to wait and see.

There are, per OrangeXtreme thread/list, potentially 75 returning scholarship players. There are currently nine commits for the 2023 class. The total number of scholarships per team is still 85. So at this point we can only take one more scholarship player for 2023.

I think we will have to wait until the season is over to see who leaves/transfers and if all the current commits sign in December. Until then y'all are just going to have to wait and see.
Holy Smokes. 75 returning players? Beautiful

And of course, there is also the transfer portal, unexpected attrition, medical disqualifications, a player or two who flunks out, etc.

Stuff that happens every year. So the number is going to be a bit of a moving target until after spring practice.

I'm still thinking 1 or 2 may go to draft
2 more will 'graduate'
A few more will be off athletic scholarship for a multitude of reasons: injury, academic, or just not up to par.
a few more down the depth chart voluntarily transfer.
I'm still thinking with our lack of depth on DL, need a little more talent on OL and TE we may have from 5-7 more scholarships for 2023 for top talent only to take advantage of our sensational season this recruiting season and not needing to wait for next year.

That number includes Mikel, Garrett W, Tucker, and Bergeron.
It would be great if all stay one more year but that's not likely, My guess is 2 go and 2 stay...Guess which ones...The ones that do leave and the ones that should are probably different.

And not one DT in the class.

I can’t see the Cohoon kid sticking once Kansas comes calling.

I know this is a '23 thread but they are targeting a lot of DL in '24 and DBs

Looks like they are trying to build depth on DL and survive off what we have and Perry there, and then reload / restock the secondary.

I would be surprised if he wasn’t. He’s 6’3 245 now and built like a Mack truck. Definitely has the frame to bulk up.

I hear ya, but how many kids under 250 actually ‘bulk up’ and play inside DT though? I’d like to see 290 but if 280 is optimal, the 35 pounds needed will take a few years if it happens at all. Bump it down to 270 where our guys are and it might still take a few years.

Cundiff came in at 260, a year later he’s 267.
Locket came in at 260 a year later he’s 270
Bassett came in at 260
Jobity is 247

Those are still DEnd weights. Perry to me is built like a strong side DEnd who plays at 255/260 as an upper class men.

We’ll see.

I hear ya, but how many kids under 250 actually ‘bulk up’ and play inside DT though? I’d like to see 290 but if 280 is optimal, the 35 pounds needed will take a few years if it happens at all. Bump it down to 270 where our guys are and it might still take a few years.

Cundiff came in at 260, a year later he’s 267.
Locket came in at 260 a year later he’s 270
Bassett came in at 260
Jobity is 247

Those are still DEnd weights. Perry to me is built like a strong side DEnd who plays at 255/260 as an upper class men.

We’ll see.
Perry’s like a Kenneth Ruff if Kenneth Ruff molded with the Hulk

I thought of Ruff, but Hough is more like Ruff than Perry.
Slayton was around 6’5 250 coming out of HS as a DE too. Perry’s a little shorter but that’s fine

Slayton was around 6’5 250 coming out of HS as a DE too. Perry’s a little shorter but that’s fine

Both sites had Slayton at 6-4 258 and 260 when he signed. 300 as a senior.

Isn’t Denaburg on scholarship too? That would be 76 with remaining eligibility. 9 commits plus possibility of Rhino is 86.