For those ripping Louisville... | Syracusefan.com

For those ripping Louisville...

SUintheVille

Former 'Blue Light Special' Announcer
UofL is an official ACC member in 2014 now. For those ripping on the university, I assume you've read (or you need to read) the ESPN article:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8685541/acc-votes-add-louisville-cardinals

Check out their athletic budget and success. Their athletic facilities are awesome too. And having lived here for many years, I can tell you that their academic and research programs and outreach have made tremendous strides over the last several years. Good addition to the conference.

I am glad for you down there.

I will say it again. I like Louisville. I have since 1997 when I parked a Big Ol Conversion van for the NCAA's and they gave me a bottle of Maker's in addition to the $20.

I like the City of Louisville. I like the fans. I mean, I was just some random internet fan from the opposition and I was invited into their tailgate and comped. Free parking free food free beer. Who does that? Good people.

I am happy for the University of Louisville today.

Agreed. Congrats to Louisville. I am feeling a bit for UConn and Cincy.

I will say it again. I like Louisville. I have since 1997 when I parked a Big Ol Conversion van for the NCAA's and they gave me a bottle of Maker's in addition to the $20.

I like the City of Louisville. I like the fans. I mean, I was just some random internet fan from the opposition and I was invited into their tailgate and comped. Free parking free food free beer. Who does that? Good people.

Similar experience. I was in Louisville this summer on business. Turns out my business partner's family was having a reunion. (They are descendents of Lou Gehrig's aunt). She brought me along and within minutes I was treated much like a member of the family. A few of them were wearing Cardinal t-shirts. I was wearing Orange. A lot of good natured ribbing, BBQ and beer. A great day with great folks.

So I'm with you. I like Louisville. I like the people. Welcome aboard (again).

Hate to sound insensitive but I don't feel for Uconn or Cincy. The only thing I care about right now is the stability of the ACC.

I definitely agree that the stability of the ACC is primo because that will be our home. I just remember how a lot of SU fans felt the first time we didn't get into the ACC and the more recent conference realignment and the threat of being left behind again. It wasn't a good feeling. So I can empathize with their fans and how that must feel.

Fine. Now go out and kick some B1G butt tomorrow night.

Agreed. Need to beat Rutgirls.

Still a Cuse fan first and foremost, but do like Lville as well.

Agreed. Need to beat Rutgirls.

Still a Cuse fan first and foremost, but do like Lville as well.

I was almost hoping to start rooting for Louisville again. No chance now. Still happy for their inclusion in the ACC.

Totally agree. Fond memories of the place from my Army days stationed down the road at Fort Knox. I even still have a T shirt from when they won the BB championship under Denny Crumb back in the 80's (forgot the particular year). Very nearly ended up there but came to Syracuse instead. Go figure..

Looks like SU was a big supporter of UL's inclusion:

RT @ericcrawford: Jurich said UofL's biggest advocates were Florida State, Clemson and Syracuse.

I also agree. The Louisville board is one of my favorites to check out among opposing teams, because they generally seem to be rationale people who actually seem to respect their opponents, for the most part. They are also knowledgable...again, for the most part.

Glad to have them joining us.

I was almost hoping to start rooting for Louisville again. No chance now. Still happy for their inclusion in the ACC.

We can still root for them next year. They are not scheduled to join till 2014.

UofL is an official ACC member in 2014 now. For those ripping on the university, I assume you've read (or you need to read) the ESPN article:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8685541/acc-votes-add-louisville-cardinals

Check out their athletic budget and success. Their athletic facilities are awesome too. And having lived here for many years, I can tell you that their academic and research programs and outreach have made tremendous strides over the last several years. Good addition to the conference.

"Tremendous strides"?

Please.

If where they are today academically is the result of "tremendous strides", one shudders to think where they were previously from an academic standpoint.

It's OK to tell us about their successful athletic program. But don't give us "spin" about "tremendous strides". It is what it is.

I also agree. The Louisville board is one of my favorites to check out among opposing teams, because they generally seem to be rationale people who actually seem to respect their opponents, for the most part. They are also knowledgable...again, for the most part.

Glad to have them joining us.

FB or BBall board? I hate their BBall fans. They think UL is Wooden era UCLA. They are already talking about how the ACCT should be at Yum every three years.

There is going to be serious pressure put on Louisville to tighten up the academics by other member institutions in the ACC. I don't see why they cannot end up as a top 100 school.

There is going to be serious pressure put on Louisville to tighten up the academics by other memer institutions in the ACC. I don't see why they cannot end up as a top 100 school.

Pressure? What pressure?

Pressure is 1.) We aren't going to let you in if you don't improve or 2) We are going to throw you out if you don't improve.

Everything else is just talk.

I'd be willing to wager that scenario #2 has been broached as a part of admittance. Change doesn't happen overnight but I would say 5 years out they are significantly higher in the ratings.

Louisville will benefit from this move in every way imaginable. Their academics are likely to greatly improve as well.
I'm kinda glad we advocated strongly for them, if just to quiet the academic snobs who seem to believe that scores can't ever improve.
I feel for UConn, but UL was a great addition to the ACC.

"Tremendous strides"?

Please.

If where they are today academically is the result of "tremendous strides", one shudders to think where they were previously from an academic standpoint.

It's OK to tell us about their successful athletic program. But don't give us "spin" about "tremendous strides". It is what it is.

Ha ha. And you know all about this how? Looking at a magazine or online for rankings? Believe me, UofL is no Duke or Ivy League for academics at all, but I would say I know a lot about the university. I see and know what is happening here. It has made a lot of strides in academia and medical research community. I guess it is what it is.