Class of 2017 - For what it's worth part 2 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 For what it's worth part 2

FrancoPizza said:
Simple. We have an unproven fisherman casting nets... with a soon-to-be unproven captain.

Oh BS.

Straight from the horses mouth

"The danger of being involved in a lot of top 20 players is you can lose all of them. You could get a couple or you could lose them all," he said. "In the past, we always got good players. They weren't necessarily in that (top recruit) area. And we always could get a couple, two, three.

"But when you go only after the top guys, you can have some misses and not get anybody. So you always have to be a little careful of that."

Straight from the horses mouth

"The danger of being involved in a lot of top 20 players is you can lose all of them. You could get a couple or you could lose them all," he said. "In the past, we always got good players. They weren't necessarily in that (top recruit) area. And we always could get a couple, two, three.

"But when you go only after the top guys, you can have some misses and not get anybody. So you always have to be a little careful of that."

We talked about this about a year ago - the 17 class represents quite a shift in recruiting for Syracuse in going after basically all Top 50 and even Top 20 type guys. We haven't normally done that. It is a high risk, high reward. Absolutely, we could wind up with none of these targets. It absolutely doesn't mean GMac is at fault though. It is just plain tough to get guys like these. I suspect we will be happy at the end of the process. Syracuse has too much to offer to get completely frozen out.

Jay Wright is an excellent coach, with a NC, at a good academic school, in a beautiful place located within a three hour radius of the best basketball talent on earth. Nova also just got something like a $20 mil donation to renovate their arena. That program is only going to become more formidable.

We talked about this about a year ago - the 17 class represents quite a shift in recruiting for Syracuse in going after basically all Top 50 and even Top 20 type guys. We haven't normally done that. It is a high risk, high reward. Absolutely, we could wind up with none of these targets. It absolutely doesn't mean GMac is at fault though. It is just plain tough to get guys like these. I suspect we will be happy at the end of the process. Syracuse has too much to offer to get completely frozen out.
I completely agree with this . The only problem is that the key and expected domino for this class hasn't fallen yet, and there is a real shot for it not to fall . I'm sure things will work out because they always seem to, but people have reason to be nervous, hell im sure the staff is.

JAB wants to go out with a bang. Or maybe a back to back bang.

Brissett & Sidibe are not top 50 guys and look like they will be the long term anchors of the class, like Scoop & Rick were 10 years ago. The top 25 guys in that class were both gone by the time the train really got rolling.

Jay Wright is an excellent coach, with a NC, at a good academic school, in a beautiful place located within a three hour radius of the best basketball talent on earth. Nova also just got something like a $20 mil donation to renovate their arena. That program is only going to become more formidable.

To the victor goes the spoils. Jay Wright is a good coach. I see what those players are chasing.

Brissett & Sidibe are not top 50 guys and look like they will be the long term anchors of the class, like Scoop & Rick were 10 years ago. The top 25 guys in that class were both gone by the time the train really got rolling.
So, you are saying they were gone before the dynasty was really established?

So, you are saying they were gone before the dynasty was really established?
funny how the real <> was established after they left

I guess you could argue that landing Flynn & Greene re-established Syracuse as a recruiting heavyweight, but there's no doubt that Scoop & Rick were far more important to the run the program has been on ever since.

...the 17 class represents quite a shift in recruiting for Syracuse...
Does it? I mean all of these guys are smack dab in the middle of traditional Syracuse recruiting areas. Even Preston is on the radar mostly because he's an Oak Hill guy. Syracuse isn't just jumping after some kid in OK or Chicago because he's top-25.

Should SU end up with a class of Quade, Brissett, and Bourma, that's pretty much a standard SU class in terms of ranked prospects. If by April of 2017, it's Quade, Bamba, Walker/Diallo, Brissett, and Bourma ... well hell, that would represent a change. And as far as anyone is talking, it's looking a lot like the former than the latter.

Does it? I mean all of these guys are smack dab in the middle of traditional Syracuse recruiting areas. Even Preston is on the radar mostly because he's an Oak Hill guy. Syracuse isn't just jumping after some kid in OK or Chicago because he's top-25.

Should SU end up with a class of Quade, Brissett, and Bourma, that's pretty much a standard SU class in terms of ranked prospects. If by April of 2017, it's Quade, Bamba, Walker/Diallo, Brissett, and Bourma ... well hell, that would represent a change. And as far as anyone is talking, it's looking a lot like the former than the latter.

I think it's a change. I mean we're basically going up against UK and Duke for every single guy we've targeted. How often has that happened?

Agree 100%. This year isn't really a change in philosophy. We still are focusing our recruiting efforts primarily in the same northeast region we always do it's just that the 2017 kids in our region happen to overall be more highly regarded than in years past. That's why I have always felt this class was important in a sense that if we got these kids then it obviously is great for the program and would be an incredible injection of talent but also would do so much in really validating that recruiting strategy and presence over the years.

On the flip side - if we historically focus primarily on locking down and grabbing our targets from a specific region and use that as a reason why we don't feel the need to recruit nationally; then the year there are a bunch of high level kids in that region you've spent so much time in and those schools who do recruit nationally just swoop in and take them from you... Not a good look.

I would be very surprised if we struck out on all our targets. If nothing else it would just be an extraordinary occurrence that we miss out on so many kids in one class, in one region, who are all narrowed down to a very similar small pool of schools.

I mean we're basically going up against UK and Duke for every single guy we've targeted.
That doesn't indicate that SU has changed anything ... only that the best recruits in our traditional territories are excellent this class and have attracted the top-2 recruiting juggernauts.

I think it's a change. I mean we're basically going up against UK and Duke for every single guy we've targeted. How often has that happened?

But how often has our region had this many guys that Duke and UK really wanted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom