Former players... | Syracusefan.com

Former players...

tboxCUSE92

Scout Team
From the Donovan article in the PS:

On meeting Scott Shafer: "I got a chance to sit down and talk to Scott, great guy. One of the things I like about the guy is what you see is what you get. He's a guy that's willing to do whatever it takes in order to win ball games. He wants good character guys, but he also wants talented guys. This isn't an organization where we're just gonna grab guys anywhere. This university, we're gonna recruit the right guys for the right system.

"Talking to him, the open door policy, one that I enjoy, I think we got away from that for a couple years where the door just wasn't open for the alums to come in and try to help these young guys out."

Just amazing Marone wouldn't embrace the foundation of the program, the former players. Those guys are the best ambassadors we have.. Here's to a new chapter and it's about time!!!

From the Donovan article in the PS:

On meeting Scott Shafer: "I got a chance to sit down and talk to Scott, great guy. One of the things I like about the guy is what you see is what you get. He's a guy that's willing to do whatever it takes in order to win ball games. He wants good character guys, but he also wants talented guys. This isn't an organization where we're just gonna grab guys anywhere. This university, we're gonna recruit the right guys for the right system.

"Talking to him, the open door policy, one that I enjoy, I think we got away from that for a couple years where the door just wasn't open for the alums to come in and try to help these young guys out."

Just amazing Marone wouldn't embrace the foundation of the program, the former players. Those guys are the best ambassadors we have.. Here's to a new chapter and it's about time!!!
All Marrone needed to turn things around was a Dove Bar, a tray of bologna sandwiches, and Macky McPherson. This was on page iii in the binder, actually. Support from former players just meant the Dove bars, bologna sandwiches, and Macky (don't think about it too much) had to be shared.

Marrone is a douche. He'll be fired by the Bills in two years and will be selling Santi Gold on UHF stations soon thereafter. I hope he gets eaten by wolves.

Marrone is a douche. He'll be fired by the Bills in two years and will be selling Santi Gold on UHF stations soon thereafter. I hope he gets eaten by wolves.
Jilted lover alert.

I think Marrone's legacy is still up in the air. I'm not as negative / jilted as some, but I think he left a year or two too early, when our program's turnaround is still on precarious ground [and yes, I acknowledge that the nature of his departure coupled with him raiding the staff was at best a net negative for SU].

If Shafer succeeds, then I think some of the negativity directed toward Marrone will die down, and ultimately he'll be viewed favorably as the guy who laid the foundation for the turnaround, helping our program climb back to respectability.

If Shafer and the new staff flop, then I expect Marrone's name to be further tarnished, and for him to get even more blame heaped his way for leaving too soon.

Don't see much potential for a middle ground.

[and yes, I acknowledge that the nature of his departure coupled with him raiding the staff was at best a net negative for SU].
The "raid" is the real issue. If his top choices for assistant spots had said "yes" then half of the raid wouldn't've occurred and the resentment here would be a lot lower.

If you were in his shoes and your top two choices for position X had said "thanks, but no thanks", you too might've gone for someone that you knew and trusted... just as he did.

Coach Shafer & Company will do well... very well. At the end of the day, most will say "Yea, it sucked the way that FHCDM left, but the program has continued to improve back to its rightful place. Let's Go, Orange (or, War Damn Otto)!!"

Time to move on...

Let's go, Orange!!

I think Marrone's legacy is still up in the air. I'm not as negative / jilted as some, but I think he left a year or two too early, when our program's turnaround is still on precarious ground [and yes, I acknowledge that the nature of his departure coupled with him raiding the staff was at best a net negative for SU].

If Shafer succeeds, then I think some of the negativity directed toward Marrone will die down, and ultimately he'll be viewed favorably as the guy who laid the foundation for the turnaround, helping our program climb back to respectability.

If Shafer and the new staff flop, then I expect Marrone's name to be further tarnished, and for him to get even more blame heaped his way for leaving too soon.

Don't see much potential for a middle ground.

I've said before that if he had done the same thing two years from now, everyone would have wished him well. Everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom