Former Syracuse football legend Tim Green says he has ALS | Syracusefan.com

Former Syracuse football legend Tim Green says he has ALS

Truly sad news. I met Tim when I was about 8 or 9 and he was still at SU. My parents, brother and I were bowling and we see Tim a couple lanes over throwing the ball 200 mph down the lane. We went over and talked to him for a few minutes and he was extremely nice - especially considering he was a college guy that probably just wanted some time alone to relax and not bothered.

I dont share too much but i live in CO and have a camp on Skaneateles Lake. We know Tim as my nephew played for him. He is a really good egg. I had no idea. Im so sorry for him and his family.

Such horrible news.

Worst disease ever. My best friends mom had it. Basically u fade away into a mush ball. Kills me. I also don’t think it had anything to do with football. Best of luck to him. He was one of my faves. So athletic on dline. Great speed also.

For those who didn't read the entire article, he does say this:

Now the good news: Like many conditions, ALS has different forms. While of course I'd rather not have it at all, I am extremely grateful that mine is a slow-progressing version of the disease.

Sucks for sure. I was informed about this about a year or so ago from a life long friend of mine who was on the Varsity wrestling team at Liverpool along with Tim, and, who also grew up with him on the same street in the Bayberry neighborhood.

This makes my heart quake. I had a friend who died of ALS within 3 years. His wife had had MS for 30 and died half a year after him. Gruesome. I am glad he has the slow moving kind - I think. My friend at the end was hooked up to a computer that could help him talk, just like Hawking.

Apparently 60 minutes is going to act as a fundraiser. I will watch and contribute. Like everyone, I am completely downhearted by this.