Fourth quarter face-offs | Syracusefan.com

Fourth quarter face-offs

longtimefan

Hall of Fame
A recurring theme this season. Inability to win them cost the Orange vs UVa, UNC, and Loyola. Virginia has dominated them the last 2 weeks to come back vs UMd and Duke.

Is it adjustments, better physical condition, or something else?

A recurring theme this season. Inability to win them cost the Orange vs UVa, UNC, and Loyola. Virginia has dominated them the last 2 weeks to come back vs UMd and Duke.

Is it adjustments, better physical condition, or something else?
I'm thinking something else. Both Tucci(UNC) and Lasalla(UVA) rely on quickness off the whistle to win the majority of their draws and not as physically taxing. While they can grind it out, that's not their primary move. Phaup is grinder, not as quick off the whistle and this was his first full season taking face-offs at the D1 level. I think he hit a wall at the end of the season. Varello is a solid number 2, but still a number 2. Just my opinion.

I'm thinking something else. Both Tucci(UNC) and Lasalla(UVA) rely on quickness off the whistle to win the majority of their draws and not as physically taxing. While they can grind it out, that's not their primary move. Phaup is grinder, not as quick off the whistle and this was his first full season taking face-offs at the D1 level. I think he hit a wall at the end of the season. Varello is a solid number 2, but still a number 2. Just my opinion.
That doesn't explain Lasalla's 4th quarter domination of Tucci and Smyth, allowing UVa to come back in both games. Face offs were 9-9 through 3 quarters yesterday, but Lasalla was 9-3 in 4th Q and OTs. He did about the same thing to Maryland, also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom