Francesa - two things made the BE, Patrick and the Carrier Dome | Syracusefan.com

Francesa - two things made the BE, Patrick and the Carrier Dome

GoSU96

Living Legend
Syracuse is the one irreplacable team in the conference.

That's in referrence to the hoops schools going forward on their own.

I know this sounds homerish, but Syracuse was the heart of the Big East. We were the only original school fully dedicated to hoops and football, sure, others followed suit but we were a driving force to form the football side of things. We were the driving force to expand with Pitt and Ped State (pre-pedophilia, of course). We got WVU into the conference, and eventually had them added for hoops.

Aside from MSG, what other hoops arena is more recognizable than the Dome? what other arena has as much history as the Dome (MSG excluded)?

Fans of other teams have commented that Syracuse was the heart of the conference. Has that ever been said of any other school?

Really, Syracuse IS (was) the Big East. SU, GTown and to a lesser extent St. John's built the conference on the strength of hoops. So why are/were we the heart of the conference? Because GT and SJ don't have BCS level football. It still makes me sad that the BE is now Conference USA, and will likely be completely inconsequential or gone altogether within 5-10 years.

The Carrier Dome.

Every so often some on this board get to talking about how we should get rid of the Dome. The fact is that to everyone outside of CNY Syracuse is synonymous with the Dome. It is unique, interesting, tough for opponents and has made us a brand. If we're going to get rid of the Dome, why not ditch the color orange along with it.

The Carrier Dome.

Every so often some on this board get to talking about how we should get rid of the Dome. The fact is that to everyone outside of CNY Syracuse is synonymous with the Dome. It is unique, interesting, tough for opponents and has made us a brand. If we're going to get rid of the Dome, why not ditch the color orange along with it.

After the NW game this year I was walking with my wife behind an older couple that were NW fans. The old guy was telling his wife that he really liked the dome and that it was a great place to visit... except it was so damn hot in there, lol. He was right, it was freakin hot in the dome for that game. Just shows you other peoples impressions compared to our own. However I think the dome is a great place to watch football, not really a bad place to see the action and can't beat the prices.

I think nationally, the Big East was 'born' with Pearl's freshman performance vs G'Town in the Big East Tourney at MSG. I still can hear Len Berman laughing at Pearl's moves vs the 'vaunted' G'Town defense. (And yes a game 'Cuse should have won.) From that point the next year the Dome's 'presence' took over.

After the NW game this year I was walking with my wife behind an older couple that were NW fans. The old guy was telling his wife that he really liked the dome and that it was a great place to visit... except it was so damn hot in there, lol. He was right, it was freakin hot in the dome for that game. Just shows you other peoples impressions compared to our own. However I think the dome is a great place to watch football, not really a bad place to see the action and can't beat the prices.

It's all about perspective. The Dome is, and I sound like a broken record, the Cameron Indoor of college football. Compared to those behemoth 100k plus stadiums, the Dome is a more personal, unique experience simply because it isn't huge. There isn't a bad seat in the place either. And it's LOUD. And when it is, it is one of the best home field advantages in college athletics. All it took was one visit for Steve Spurrier before he swore he'd never play there again. It was the great equalizer for SU in that game. I think some of the fans of opposing schools appreciate the "homey" feel of the Dome. It's totally different from what they are used to.

With all the work TGD has put into improving the place, it's almost like playing football in an NBA arena. All it's missing is the giant hanging scoreboard at the 50 yard line, which kind of would defeat the purpose of playing football in there. Those ribbon boards are fantastic.

It's all about perspective. The Dome is, and I sound like a broken record, the Cameron Indoor of college football. Compared to those behemoth 100k plus stadiums, the Dome is a more personal, unique experience simply because it isn't huge. There isn't a bad seat in the place either. And it's LOUD. And when it is, it is one of the best home field advantages in college athletics. All it took was one visit for Steve Spurrier before he swore he'd never play there again. It was the great equalizer for SU in that game. I think some of the fans of opposing schools appreciate the "homey" feel of the Dome. It's totally different from what they are used to.

With all the work TGD has put into improving the place, it's almost like playing football in an NBA arena. All it's missing is the giant hanging scoreboard at the 50 yard line, which kind of would defeat the purpose of playing football in there. Those ribbon boards are fantastic.

Day-um. I sure did raise you right, Lil' Petey. Great post.

Day-um. I sure did raise you right, Lil' Petey. Great post.

Thanks. Wish you had said the same thing about my mom's green bean casserole on Thanksgiving. She's still pissed. I don't know why she keeps inviting you. She may realign Thanksgiving Divisions next year and send you to Buffalo. I'll miss your queso dip.

I believe Syracuse was the only hoops team that was good for the entire lifespan of the Big East.

The Carrier Dome.

This can't be said enough. The Dome is immensely valuable to the university.

SU was the glue of the BE.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Agree. No other team was as consistently successful in basketball. Georgetown and St. Johns were a bit better early but have had eras of decline much worse than SU. UConn was an after thought until the late eighties. Villanova has had multiple peaks and valleys. Seton Hall and Providence had their 15 minutes. The 'Cuse has always been in the mix.

It's all about perspective. The Dome is, and I sound like a broken record, the Cameron Indoor of college football.
I've said this for a long time too. We need to embrace this idea, and make it work for us. No place can be louder when it's rocking. The fans are right on top of the field, and the sound has nowhere to escape to. I don't know of any Duke people screaming for a 25,000 seat basketball arena.

I remember that UF game well...Kirby Dar Dar's opening kickoff returned for a TD had the Dome in a frenzy...one of the finest memories I had inside the dome for football...

I've said this for a long time too. We need to embrace this idea, and make it work for us. No place can be louder when it's rocking. The fans are right on top of the field, and the sound has nowhere to escape to. I don't know of any Duke people screaming for a 25,000 seat basketball arena.

And it is on campus. That is a big deal as well.

We can make it work. It's easy to complain about it when you frequent it quite a bit, but for people visiting, it is a unique experience.

I like the sound of this but how so?
It's mostly on the basketball side of things. We've never had a major prolonged decline like others schools have. UConn wasn't UConn at the beginnings of the league. The SU GTown rivalry went a long way to establish it. When GTown declined after JT2's retirement, UConn replaced them as our main rival, at least on the floor if not our hearts. We've always been in the mix no matter who was there with us.

I think nationally, the Big East was 'born' with Pearl's freshman performance vs G'Town in the Big East Tourney at MSG. I still can hear Len Berman laughing at Pearl's moves vs the 'vaunted' G'Town defense. (And yes a game 'Cuse should have won.) From that point the next year the Dome's 'presence' took over.
SEan Kerins missed a key lay-up or we would've had them.
A name that will live in infamy.....:bang: