Frank and Chukwu were practically worthless out there | Syracusefan.com

Frank and Chukwu were practically worthless out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frank needs to pick it up in particular. He’s played like crap the last 3 games but the good news is we went 2-1. With the stretch we have coming up hopefully this will motivate him and get him out of this funk.

I thought PC was ok the first 3-4 minutes. He struggles with C like blackshear and popovich that make him move. He’s better vs guys like Bolden

They both seem to be in a funk at this time but we actually need them to recover if we want to make a run in the NCAAs. Both were key ingredients to last years NCAA run. It is almost if they could both get an early shot to fall, the rest of the game is OK. But once they start slipping, their day is over.

...and I'm a fan of BOTH players.

What the heck is going on? These two guys are seniors who've both been through the wars. We can't afford for them to be non-factors like they have been lately.

I understand why you want them to do well, but what would give you the idea - based on their prior body of work - that they could at a high level consistently?

In my opinion, the two of them are the biggest reasons why this program is where it is at this point. They flat out have been consistently inconsistent for the last 2-3 years. Just like the program.

Last year - despite his imperfect play - at least Frank played with confidence. He tried to get downhill often, he passed with purpose, he pulled up for a 3 “knowing” it was going in.

That guy is missing.

Frank is killing the team with his how slow he plays.
The guy is long but man his lack of speed hurts on defense and he won’t do anything but shoot on offense.
Last year - despite his imperfect play - at least Frank played with confidence. He tried to get downhill often, he passed with purpose, he pulled up for a 3 “knowing” it was going in.

That guy is missing.

Gotta wonder if the foot is still an issue. He was never super quick but even JB said he can’t get by people

They both seem to be in a funk at this time but we actually need them to recover if we want to make a run in the NCAAs. Both were key ingredients to last years NCAA run. It is almost if they could both get an early shot to fall, the rest of the game is OK. But once they start slipping, their day is over.
Well said. Totally agree. The good news is we went 2-1 in the stretch but we need them going forward if we want to go anywhere.

I'll be honest I don't really see a difference between Chukwu this year or Chukwu any other year... he'll have a good game followed try 2 or 3 crap games followed by another good game. I agree on Howard... when I watch him play I wonder if he is still hurt. When he came in as a freshman, he was a bouncy explosive athlete... that dude is gone and he plays like he has lead weights in his shorts. No lift, no explosion... and he doesn't have the vision, feel for the game or the consistent shot to play an old man game. When I see Howard go to the bench, he doesn't even seem pissed more like resigned to the fact that his body just can't do what it used to do. It's like he's aged in dog years since he was a freshman.

I understand why you want them to do well, but what would give you the idea - based on their prior body of work - that they could at a high level consistently?

In my opinion, the two of them are the biggest reasons why this program is where it is at this point. They flat out have been consistently inconsistent for the last 2-3 years. Just like the program.

A couple of reasons -- because they have performed well in the past [most notably, Frank], because they are experienced veterans who have won / been contributors in big games against top flight teams, and because I expect seniors to perform better than to just be non-factors.

I wonder if Frank is disengaged -- it seems like as Buddy has ascended, Frank has descended to the point where if he isn't hitting shots, he isn't making any other contributions.

Meanwhile, Carey is momentum kryptonite. Yowza.
I feel sorry for Carey at this point. He is LOST! He isn’t seeing anything. Looks like he never touched a basketball in his life.

I loved Howard as a freshman bc he seemed to have a really good feel for passes. Did he force them? Sure, at times. But many times guys just weren’t ready to catch it when he got inside. He’s almost a different player from what I remember. His value is entirely on making jumpers.

In recent games Frank has played more like he thinks he's a shooting guard, and he's not consistently a good enough shooter for that role. If that's all he can bring to the table, we're probably better off letting Tyus handle with Buddy at the 2.

In recent games Frank has played more like he thinks he's a shooting guard, and he's not consistently a good enough shooter for that role. If that's all he can bring to the table, we're probably better off letting Tyus handle with Buddy at the 2.
It is a very mixed bag! Tyus is OK at the point if Buddy is hitting like today. On the other hand with Buddy in there instead of Frank, we give up more on defense. Plus it is more of a bomb to the opposing team to have us bring a three point shooter going 4 for 5. Not sure we would be as effective with Buddy starting and Frank off the bench. I would rather start Frank and see if he is on or off, then hope Buddy is hitting.

It is a very mixed bag! Tyus is OK at the point if Buddy is hitting like today. On the other hand with Buddy in there instead of Frank, we give up more on defense. Plus it is more of a bomb to the opposing team to have us bring a three point shooter going 4 for 5. Not sure we would be as effective with Buddy starting and Frank off the bench. I would rather start Frank and see if he is on or off, then hope Buddy is hitting.

Yeah, I definitely get what you're saying about Buddy's firepower coming off the bench.

As to defense, though, I'm not sure we're giving up as much with Buddy as we would have been earlier this season. Partly because Buddy has gotten better, and partly because Frank hasn't been very good there either.

It's easy to forget how highly Howard and Chukwu were valued.
When Chukwu transferred Boeheim said he could become one of the country's elite shot blockers.

At this juncture it may be useful to re-read an old article.
The big point turned out to be that things don't always go anywhere close to the way they were planned.
That seems especially true of the prized bigs the Orange have recruited:

Paschal Chukwu, a 7-foot-2 Providence transfer, will attend Syracuse

...and I'm a fan of BOTH players.

What the heck is going on? These two guys are seniors who've both been through the wars. We can't afford for them to be non-factors like they have been lately.

Be honest...you had to debate whether you needed to add “practically” to the title.

We need Howard. Absolutely. Hoping the realization of having less than two months of career college ball left ignites him to what he HAS done before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom