Frank Maloney's old outside linebacker coach is doing pretty good. | Syracusefan.com

Frank Maloney's old outside linebacker coach is doing pretty good.

i was a frank maloney fan---he got short changed
It's fine to be a fan, but the man was 32-46 in 7 years as HC. His best year was 7-5 - and that was 'The Year On The Road". 3 winning seasons (6-5, 6-5, 7-5). He wasn't exactly burning it up. Nice guy, but he didn't get it done.

It's fine to be a fan, but the man was 32-46 in 7 years as HC. His best year was 7-5 - and that was 'The Year On The Road". 3 winning seasons (6-5, 6-5, 7-5). He wasn't exactly burning it up. Nice guy, but he didn't get it done.

He kept the program alive while the politicians argued about getting the Dome built and then got fired shortly after it opened. He recruited Bill Hurley, Art Monk and Joe Morris as well as Jimmy Collins and Craig Wolfley and hired coaches like Coughlin and Saban. He certainly had an eye for talent.

He kept the program alive while the politicians argued about getting the Dome built and then got fired shortly after it opened. He recruited Bill Hurley, Art Monk and Joe Morris as well as Jimmy Collins and Craig Wolfley and hired coaches like Coughlin and Saban. He certainly had an eye for talent.
I agree. But he couldn't get it done on the field. :noidea:

image-3782874862.jpg

Jerry Angelo on staff as well.

Playing for Coach Maloney was like us against the world. Frank couldn't stand all the BS surrounding program like HORRIBLE facilities but his DUI did him in.

Saban was probably the best coach I ever played for and he was only 26 yrs old at the time. You could see that this dude would be successful but he wanted out of Cuse...fast.

Last edited:
Playing for Coach Maloney was like us against the world. Frank couldn't stand all the BS surrounding program like HORRIBLE facilities but his DUI did him in.

Saban was probably the best coach I ever played for and he was only 26 yrs old at the time. You could see that this dude would be successful but he wanted out of Cuse...fast.

Mike Gyetvay?

Gary Anderson,Steve Szabo,Jerry Angelo

It always did seem that Coach Maloney viewed it as his team versus the world.

He arrived on the Hill with great enthusiasm and seemed to become very insulated from the community. The DUI was I guess the final straw.

Mike Bright always used to tell us when we would grab a beer at the "Orange Grove" on Wescott Street that Frank Maloney was the one who got us the Carrier Dome - he always had great things to say about him.

Frank Maloney and Doug Marrone: two peas from the same pod.
Both were good football guys.
Both found themselves limited by the lack of facilities.
Neither could stand the hot glare :noidea: of the Syracuse press.

Coach Maloney did work hard to get the Carrier Dome but I think the main factor was Joe Paterno telling SU in '77 that Penn State would not play us in Archbold Stadium anymore because it was a dump and it surely was at that time.

My father was there then (graduated in '78). He never much mentions Saban as he was on the OL. He dealt more with Coughlin.

wait wait wait. What was Coach Mac's record after 6 years? It was 30-36 Is that getting it done? And he had the dome to recruit with. after 6 years Frank was 27-40. Not that big a difference. 3 games. And once again, Mac had the Dome. Frank had, well, he could talk about a future Dome

wait wait wait. What was Coach Mac's record after 6 years? It was 30-36 Is that getting it done? And he had the dome to recruit with. after 6 years Frank was 27-40. Not that big a difference. 3 games. And once again, Mac had the Dome. Frank had, well, he could talk about a future Dome
He coached the first year of the Dome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom