Frank | Syracusefan.com

Frank

Scotch

Starter
I know it’s been beaten to death, but what happened to Frank? You have to think the injury is still lingering. He was literally better as a freshman. What happened to the kid that could get into the lane and find open guys with great vision? He had some nice moments last year in the tourney but overall I can’t remember a kid that has improved less in four years.

Has to still be injured or mentally beaten down bc he looks in rough shape game after game

He used to be just fast enough and quick enough to beat some guys off the dribble on occasion. Not fast by any stretch, but fast enough with ok lateral quickness.

That's gone since his injury. Especially any lateral quickness.

He's now unequivocally too slow to be ap5 point guard.

...and he was borderline in that capacity to begin with.

I am not sure if there are stats for this but In my 30 plus years of watching basketball somewhat passionately I am not sure I have seen a point guard drive to the basket fewer times in a season. I am 53 years old, semi-out of shape and I don't think he could get by me. He doesn't even try and in the off chance he does try, he clanks the ball of the rim and doesn't even come close to the basket. I am bewildered why JB doesn't even give Carey a chance. I do think Frank is good on defense which is also confusing because on defense you need to be quick but maybe his height and length makes up for some of his weaknesses. If Carey is so bad that he can't get more minutes given how bad Franks has been, I shudder to think about next season.

The only thing that makes sense is the foot injury. It seems like he moves in slow motion now

The foot injury has no bearing, IMO. It's interesting how so many have this honeymoon type remembrance of him last season, but it's quite inaccurate. Go back and look at all the games we lost last season, all 14 of them! You don't have to look too closely to see the exact same parallels to Frank's game and our offense in those losses as this season's. It really is wash, rinse and repeat in that regard.

The foot injury has no bearing, IMO. It's interesting how so many have this honeymoon type remembrance of him last season, but it's quite inaccurate. Go back and look at all the games we lost last season, all 14 of them! You don't have to look too closely to see the exact same parallels to Frank's game and our offense in those losses as this season's. It really is wash, rinse and repeat in that regard.
Exactly. The injury has become the scapegoat but he wasn't blowing by people last year either

I am not sure if there are stats for this but In my 30 plus years of watching basketball somewhat passionately I am not sure I have seen a point guard drive to the basket fewer times in a season. I am 53 years old, semi-out of shape and I don't think he could get by me. He doesn't even try and in the off chance he does try, he clanks the ball of the rim and doesn't even come close to the basket. I am bewildered why JB doesn't even give Carey a chance. I do think Frank is good on defense which is also confusing because on defense you need to be quick but maybe his height and length makes up for some of his weaknesses. If Carey is so bad that he can't get more minutes given how bad Franks has been, I shudder to think about next season.

Carey isn’t getting minutes because JB is loyal to seniors, for better or worse.

Exactly. The injury has become the scapegoat but he wasn't blowing by people last year either

Yep, and the offensive issues are by and large the same as last season

I know it’s been beaten to death, but what happened to Frank? You have to think the injury is still lingering. He was literally better as a freshman. What happened to the kid that could get into the lane and find open guys with great vision? He had some nice moments last year in the tourney but overall I can’t remember a kid that has improved less in four years.

When he had that one drive where he made it to the lane and did the underhand bullet pass to Sidibe it brought back memories of a somewhat more dynamic Frank - the one that seemed to exist as a Frosh. As he refined his game and became more controlled, he lost all of that.

He has to do some strange follow the three point line type arc just to get past the three point line...he's so dreadfully slow and deliberate with the ball. Even when he goes behind his back - it looks like a kid just learning where they sort of stutter through it because they can't do it at full speed.

Slow and crafty can work - he's not crafty. He just dribbles in place, East to West, and occasionally hits a three. It's been a frustrating year. The ankle can't account for the passes like the give-and-go with Marek where he gave it directly on a bounce pass to Clemson though...that stuff happens far too often. :( Still hoping he can have a big game or two before year's end - god knows we'll need it!

He is the only PG I’ve seen in my life who could be described as a ball stopper.

I’ve never seen a PG who consistently picks up his dribble or just stands there with the ball or dribbles east and west so consistently off of a ball screen. Never a hard drive - never an attempt to split the defenders.

so with a tall guard who isn't driving by anyone and who has a better a mid range mid range floater than a long J, its a good thing that we use him to post up so much

And I'm tired of reading how good he was last year. He was better in league play after being horrendous in the preseason. After the UConn game last year he did a good job getting his head back on straight, because that was the worst display by any D1 PG I've ever seen. We can't afford what he doesn't bring to table any longer.

is that why buddy is playing?

I’m not engaging with you about that. I’ve already gone back and forth about Carey and Buddy. Buddy is playing because he’s a better shooter than Frank. Frank is playing over Carey because he’s a senior.

I’m not engaging with you about that. I’ve already gone back and forth about Carey and Buddy. Buddy is playing because he’s a better shooter than Frank. Frank is playing over Carey because he’s a senior.
is carey as good as frank or buddy?

Seems like he's playing not to get hurt again...…..just won't plant and drive.

Howard reminds me of Billy Edelin but without the elite passing and ball handling skills. Billy used his size better than Frank also. Posting up smaller guards. His ball handling enabled him to get by his defender. Howard doesn't have a great handle to break down a quicker defender. He made 2 great passes today and then made some horrible passes.

Howard reminds me of Billy Edelin but without the elite passing and ball handling skills. Billy used his size better than Frank also. Posting up smaller guards. His ball handling enabled him to get by his defender. Howard doesn't have a great handle to break down a quicker defender. He made 2 great passes today and then made some horrible passes.
what? there is literally no player i can think of ever that i would compare frank to less than edelin. whoa.

I would take Edelin 10 times out of 10 as long as he didn't go AWOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom